/earth: file system full.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Old tablet experience

SubjectAuthor
* Old tablet experienceMajorLanGod
+- Re: Old tablet experienceAndy Burns
+- Re: Old tablet experienceAJL
`* Re: Old tablet experienceCarlos E. R.
 +* Re: Old tablet experienceAndy Burns
 |`* Re: Old tablet experienceCarlos E. R.
 | `* Re: Old tablet experienceTheo
 |  +- Re: Old tablet experienceCarlos E. R.
 |  `- Re: Old tablet experienceAndy Burns
 +* Re: Old tablet experienceMajorLanGod
 |`- Re: Old tablet experienceKenW
 +* Re: Old tablet experienceChris
 |+* Re: Old tablet experienceThe Real Bev
 ||`* Re: Old tablet experienceChris
 || `- Re: Old tablet experienceThe Real Bev
 |+* Re: Old tablet experienceCarlos E. R.
 ||+* Re: Old tablet experienceJoerg Lorenz
 |||`* Re: Old tablet experienceChris
 ||| +* Re: Old tablet experiencenospam
 ||| `* Re: Old tablet experienceJoerg Lorenz
 |||  `* Re: Old tablet experienceChris
 |||   +- Re: Old tablet experiencenospam
 |||   `- Re: Old tablet experienceJoerg Lorenz
 ||+- Re: Old tablet experienceChris
 ||`- Re: Old tablet experienceFrank Slootweg
 |+- Re: Old tablet experienceJoerg Lorenz
 |`* Re: Old tablet experienceTJ
 | +- Re: Old tablet experienceThe Real Bev
 | `- Re: Old tablet experienceCarlos E.R.
 `- Re: Old tablet experiencemicky

Pages:12
Re: Old tablet experience

<sptaqt$1t6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25636&group=comp.mobile.android#25636

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Old tablet experience
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 19:44:29 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Td/Zx5kh0V/rvK2bKnoWX9p17C4=
 by: Chris - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 19:44 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 20.12.21 um 09:14 schrieb Chris:
>> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>>> Mine neither and my Mac is up and running from second 1.
>>
>> My old macs that aren't used for weeks at a time can be very slow to settle
>> down.
>
> Settle down from what?
> A Mac is a unixoide system. There is no slowdown or "settle down" if the
> user does not automatically start programs and allows extensive
> maintenance. In this respect a Mac is very very close to a Linux-system.

It's not just the OS, but all the apps that poll their servers to see if
there's any updates. Then there's dropbox, icloud etc syncing files.

Re: Old tablet experience

<211220211529438316%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25637&group=comp.mobile.android#25637

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:29:43 -0500
 by: nospam - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 20:29 UTC

In article <sptaqt$1t6$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> My old macs that aren't used for weeks at a time can be very slow to settle
> >> down.
> >
> > Settle down from what?
> > A Mac is a unixoide system. There is no slowdown or "settle down" if the
> > user does not automatically start programs and allows extensive
> > maintenance. In this respect a Mac is very very close to a Linux-system.
>
> It's not just the OS, but all the apps that poll their servers to see if
> there's any updates. Then there's dropbox, icloud etc syncing files.

those are third party apps and not part of mac os, all of which is user
configurable.

Re: Old tablet experience

<spuvsr$kmg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25650&group=comp.mobile.android#25650

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 11:50:03 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 10:50 UTC

Am 21.12.21 um 20:44 schrieb Chris:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> Settle down from what?
>> A Mac is a unixoide system. There is no slowdown or "settle down" if the
>> user does not automatically start programs and allows extensive
>> maintenance. In this respect a Mac is very very close to a Linux-system.
>
> It's not just the OS, but all the apps that poll their servers to see if
> there's any updates. Then there's dropbox, icloud etc syncing files.

Aha. You said all OS do this. This has nothing to do with the OS.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Old tablet experience

<3su9sglimi4npd81v15dodr4lpth80vtde@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25724&group=comp.mobile.android#25724

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 17:44:20 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 22:44 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:26:19 +0100, "Carlos E.
R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 19/12/2021 17.33, MajorLanGod wrote:
>> I stlll have and sometimes use my Google Nexus 7 2013. After not using it
>> for a while I went to start it yesterday. Granted, I know it is not going
>> to be as zippy as current hardware, but it seemed to be exceedingly slow.
>> but the more I used it the zippier it seemed to get, until it was
>> responding as I remembered it.
>> Is it a function of background processes still starting even though the
>> desktop is available, or is it like my body in the morning - moving slow
>> until I've been up for a while?
>>

>I see that behaviour in my current tablet. Even if it was powered up but
>not used for a week: apparently every app in background starts at the
>same time checking for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for new
>videos, gmail for new mails, etc), plus the checks for updates.

I see that in my PC, even when it's only been sleeping for 12 hours.

Maybe not when I'm restarting it, maybe not when unhibernating. Should
probably keep better records.

Re: Old tablet experience

<sqcqcn$9o6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25825&group=comp.mobile.android#25825

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 11:41:56 -0500
 by: TJ - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 16:41 UTC

On 12/19/21 19:04, Chris wrote:
> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> On 19/12/2021 17.33, MajorLanGod wrote:
>>> I stlll have and sometimes use my Google Nexus 7 2013. After not using it
>>> for a while I went to start it yesterday. Granted, I know it is not going
>>> to be as zippy as current hardware, but it seemed to be exceedingly slow.
>>> but the more I used it the zippier it seemed to get, until it was
>>> responding as I remembered it.
>>> Is it a function of background processes still starting even though the
>>> desktop is available, or is it like my body in the morning - moving slow
>>> until I've been up for a while?

My 10-inch Stealth Trio G4, Android 4.something, does that when it boots
up. Always has. Seems to be syncing the clock, checking this and that.
Mostly, I just don't shut it off, only putting it to sleep between uses.
I use it mostly for reading ebooks, and for checking weather radar. I'm
a farmer, so it's something I need to keep track of.

It still does those tasks very well, though the software no longer gets
updates because the OS is so old. But, of late the battery is showing
signs of getting a bit too long in the tooth, not lasting as long as it
once did. So, yesterday I bought a replacement on Amazon that uses
Android 10. Allowing for delivery issues, it should get here on my
"Amazon Day," Friday. I'm hoping it'll perform al least half as well as
the Trio has.

>> I see that behaviour in my current tablet. Even if it was powered up but
>> not used for a week: apparently every app in background starts at the
>> same time checking for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for new
>> videos, gmail for new mails, etc), plus the checks for updates.
>
> This. My old laptops do the same. Don't use them for few weeks and you're
> best off leaving them alone for 20 min after turning them on.

Yuck. I have two laptops, both running Mageia 8 Linux.

The newer one, 11 years old, is used every day, takes roughly a minute
to boot up after I press the power switch, and it's ready to go
immediately as soon as the desktop comes up.

The other one is a nearly 20 year old 32-bit Dell. As a member of
Mageia's Quality Assurance team, I keep it around for testing purposes,
and it will go for weeks between uses. It takes longer to boot, but not
as nearly as long as it did before I replaced the original PATA hard
drive with an SSD. It, too, is ready to go as soon as the desktop is
fully up, maybe as much as 2-3 minutes, and I will admit that its 32-bit
P4 is definitely slower than my more modern processors. Still, that's
far better than "20 minutes."

> All OSes do this. I wish you could set a global setting to only do updates
> a while after the machine has been started and ideally each update a random
> a few minutes after the previous one.

By default, my Mageia Linux machines don't check for updates until 5
minutes after booting and every 3 hours thereafter, but I can easily set
that to be anything I want, including never checking for updates on its
own at all. Takes about two minutes in the Mageia Control Center gui, if
I take my time about it.

In addition, it won't download/install those updates until after I tell
it to. And as for third-party apps going after updates, I don't have any
of those because everything I need or want is available from the distro.

It would be nice if my Windows 7 VirtualBox VM was that well-behaved.

TJ

Re: Old tablet experience

<sqcvv8$iev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25833&group=comp.mobile.android#25833

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 10:17:11 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 18:17 UTC

On 12/27/2021 08:41 AM, TJ wrote:
> On 12/19/21 19:04, Chris wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>>>>
> My 10-inch Stealth Trio G4, Android 4.something, does that when it boots
> up. Always has. Seems to be syncing the clock, checking this and that.
> Mostly, I just don't shut it off, only putting it to sleep between uses.
> I use it mostly for reading ebooks, and for checking weather radar. I'm
> a farmer, so it's something I need to keep track of.
>
> It still does those tasks very well, though the software no longer gets
> updates because the OS is so old. But, of late the battery is showing
> signs of getting a bit too long in the tooth, not lasting as long as it
> once did. So, yesterday I bought a replacement on Amazon that uses
> Android 10. Allowing for delivery issues, it should get here on my
> "Amazon Day," Friday. I'm hoping it'll perform al least half as well as
> the Trio has.
>>>
>>> I see that behaviour in my current tablet. Even if it was powered up but
>>> not used for a week: apparently every app in background starts at the
>>> same time checking for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for new
>>> videos, gmail for new mails, etc), plus the checks for updates.
>>
>> This. My old laptops do the same. Don't use them for few weeks and you're
>> best off leaving them alone for 20 min after turning them on.
>>
> Yuck. I have two laptops, both running Mageia 8 Linux.
>
> The newer one, 11 years old, is used every day, takes roughly a minute
> to boot up after I press the power switch, and it's ready to go
> immediately as soon as the desktop comes up.
>
> The other one is a nearly 20 year old 32-bit Dell. As a member of
> Mageia's Quality Assurance team, I keep it around for testing purposes,
> and it will go for weeks between uses. It takes longer to boot, but not
> as nearly as long as it did before I replaced the original PATA hard
> drive with an SSD. It, too, is ready to go as soon as the desktop is
> fully up, maybe as much as 2-3 minutes, and I will admit that its 32-bit
> P4 is definitely slower than my more modern processors. Still, that's
> far better than "20 minutes."
>
>> All OSes do this. I wish you could set a global setting to only do updates
>> a while after the machine has been started and ideally each update a random
>> a few minutes after the previous one.
>>
> By default, my Mageia Linux machines don't check for updates until 5
> minutes after booting and every 3 hours thereafter, but I can easily set
> that to be anything I want, including never checking for updates on its
> own at all. Takes about two minutes in the Mageia Control Center gui, if
> I take my time about it.
>
> In addition, it won't download/install those updates until after I tell
> it to. And as for third-party apps going after updates, I don't have any
> of those because everything I need or want is available from the distro.
>
> It would be nice if my Windows 7 VirtualBox VM was that well-behaved.

I installed that (I have a real win7 CD), but win7 crashed. Real
nuisance because of all the updates. Glad I hadn't started my income
tax yet :-(

I've got an elderly HP win7 machine. It ran HRBlock last year (claimed
it required win10, but it apparently didn't). Worried about this year,
but I have a win10 laptop I could use -- but it will hurt. I hate the
idea of doing taxes via my browser on line, but that may be essential.

--
Cheers, Bev
You know how dumb the average person is?

Re: Old tablet experience

<8jip9i-qvq.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25843&group=comp.mobile.android#25843

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 21:00:08 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 20:00 UTC

On 27/12/2021 17.41, TJ wrote:
> On 12/19/21 19:04, Chris wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>>> On 19/12/2021 17.33, MajorLanGod wrote:

> The newer one, 11 years old, is used every day, takes roughly a minute
> to boot up after I press the power switch, and it's ready to go
> immediately as soon as the desktop comes up.
>
> The other one is a nearly 20 year old 32-bit Dell. As a member of
> Mageia's Quality Assurance team, I keep it around for testing purposes,
> and it will go for weeks between uses. It takes longer to boot, but not
> as nearly as long as it did before I replaced the original PATA hard
> drive with an SSD. It, too, is ready to go as soon as the desktop is
> fully up, maybe as much as 2-3 minutes, and I will admit that its 32-bit
> P4 is definitely slower than my more modern processors. Still, that's
> far better than "20 minutes."

Slow tasks at boot or soon after could be "updatedb", scanning the
entire filesystem for file names. It is not CPU intensive, just disk
intensive.

Others could be "man" indexing, rpm backup, a script that does a
security check, check for updates, etc. All those could be configured to
run once daily, or weekly, but trigger, if the time interval has been
passed, within the first 15 minutes.

>> All OSes do this. I wish you could set a global setting to only do
>> updates
>> a while after the machine has been started and ideally each update a
>> random
>> a few minutes after the previous one.
>>
> By default, my Mageia Linux machines don't check for updates until 5
> minutes after booting and every 3 hours thereafter, but I can easily set
> that to be anything I want, including never checking for updates on its
> own at all. Takes about two minutes in the Mageia Control Center gui, if
> I take my time about it.
>
> In addition, it won't download/install those updates until after I tell
> it to. And as for third-party apps going after updates, I don't have any
> of those because everything I need or want is available from the distro.
>
> It would be nice if my Windows 7 VirtualBox VM was that well-behaved.

Indeed.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Old tablet experience