The University of California Statistics Department; where mean is normal, and deviation standard.

computers / comp.os.vms / Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

SubjectAuthor
* Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?MG
+* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Simon Clubley
|+* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Jan-Erik Söderholm
||`* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Simon Clubley
|| `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?John Reagan
||  +* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Jan-Erik Söderholm
||  |`* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?abrsvc
||  | `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Simon Clubley
||  |  `- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?John Reagan
||  `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Simon Clubley
||   `- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Mark Daniel
|`* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?MG
| +* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Lee Gleason
| |`* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?MG
| | `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Chris Townley
| |  `- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?MG
| `- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?MG
+* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Arne Vajhøj
|+* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?MG
||+* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Arne Vajhøj
|||`- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?MG
||+* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Scott Dorsey
|||`* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Simon Clubley
||| `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Johnny Billquist
|||  `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Simon Clubley
|||   `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Johnny Billquist
|||    `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Chris Townley
|||     `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Johnny Billquist
|||      `- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Single Stage to Orbit
||+* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Rich Alderson
|||+* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Johnny Billquist
|||+- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?MG
|||`- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Simon Clubley
||`- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Johnny Billquist
|+* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?<kemain.nospam
||+* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Dave Froble
|||`* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?terry-...@glaver.org
||| +* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Simon Clubley
||| `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Dave Froble
|||  `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Arne Vajhøj
|||   `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Simon Clubley
|||    +* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Dave Froble
|||    |+* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?abrsvc
|||    ||+* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Simon Clubley
|||    |||`* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Arne Vajhøj
|||    ||| `- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Chris Townley
|||    ||`- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Arne Vajhøj
|||    |`- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Arne Vajhøj
|||    `- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Arne Vajhøj
||`- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Arne Vajhøj
|`* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Mark Berryman
| `- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Arne Vajhøj
+- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Robert A. Brooks
`* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?MG
 `* Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?Simon Clubley
  `- Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?John Reagan

Pages:123
Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<nnd$0650fd94$215db791@23d5c10a08c10e26>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28277&group=comp.os.vms#28277

Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 13:41:22 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: em_ge...@SPAMxs4all.nl (MG)
Subject: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?
 by: MG - Wed, 31 May 2023 11:41 UTC

As an almost daily user of the EISNER:: node of DECUServe,
I began to wonder: Couldn't DECUServe serve as a cost-
effective method for VSI to demonstrate both OpenVMS for
x86-64 and its cross-architecture clustering capabilities
to a wider audience? Since VSI operates this physical
hardware and adding a modestly configured x86-64 virtual
machine would probably not add too much to the existing
operating and maintenance costs of DECUServe.

It could thereby also save a lot of potentially interested
users the time and effort of having to apply for a suitable
evaluation license and having to prepare, install and
configure a (virtual) system, especially those who are
entirely new and unfamiliar to OpenVMS and simply wish to
have an end-user experience.

It's been long since a capable public access VMScluster
system has been available (especially since "Deathrow"
shut down, already quite some years ago).

I realize that I could have posted this in the DEC Notes
of EISNER, but it doesn't appear to be very actively used
these days.

- MG

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u57ds1$2d545$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28279&group=comp.os.vms#28279

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 12:17:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Wed, 31 May 2023 12:17 UTC

On 2023-05-31, MG <em_geeNO@SPAMxs4all.nl> wrote:
> As an almost daily user of the EISNER:: node of DECUServe,
> I began to wonder: Couldn't DECUServe serve as a cost-
> effective method for VSI to demonstrate both OpenVMS for
> x86-64 and its cross-architecture clustering capabilities
> to a wider audience? Since VSI operates this physical
> hardware and adding a modestly configured x86-64 virtual
> machine would probably not add too much to the existing
> operating and maintenance costs of DECUServe.
>
> It could thereby also save a lot of potentially interested
> users the time and effort of having to apply for a suitable
> evaluation license and having to prepare, install and
> configure a (virtual) system, especially those who are
> entirely new and unfamiliar to OpenVMS and simply wish to
> have an end-user experience.
>
> It's been long since a capable public access VMScluster
> system has been available (especially since "Deathrow"
> shut down, already quite some years ago).
>
> I realize that I could have posted this in the DEC Notes
> of EISNER, but it doesn't appear to be very actively used
> these days.

I suspect that a lot more people read Notes than post to it,
so I suspect your message would have been read by a lot more people
than it would first appear.

BTW, I also suspect there are a lot more people _reading_ comp.os.vms
than posting to it.

As for your proposal, I think it's a good idea. There would have to
be some restrictions (for example, no security research on what would
be a public server[*] unless VSI explicitly authorise this and researchers
stay within the constraints imposed in advance by VSI), but it would be
a really good way of allowing people to easily try out the x86-64 versions
of the layered products.

[*] When doing security research, it's really the kind of thing that
should be done on your own equipment running your own operating system
instances when possible.

Simon.

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u57esu$2c69t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28280&group=comp.os.vms#28280

From: jan-erik...@telia.com (Jan-Erik Söderholm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 14:34:39 +0200
 by: Jan-Erik Söderholm - Wed, 31 May 2023 12:34 UTC

Den 2023-05-31 kl. 14:17, skrev Simon Clubley:
> On 2023-05-31, MG <em_geeNO@SPAMxs4all.nl> wrote:
>> As an almost daily user of the EISNER:: node of DECUServe,
>> I began to wonder: Couldn't DECUServe serve as a cost-
>> effective method for VSI to demonstrate both OpenVMS for
>> x86-64 and its cross-architecture clustering capabilities
>> to a wider audience? Since VSI operates this physical
>> hardware and adding a modestly configured x86-64 virtual
>> machine would probably not add too much to the existing
>> operating and maintenance costs of DECUServe.
>>
>> It could thereby also save a lot of potentially interested
>> users the time and effort of having to apply for a suitable
>> evaluation license and having to prepare, install and
>> configure a (virtual) system, especially those who are
>> entirely new and unfamiliar to OpenVMS and simply wish to
>> have an end-user experience.
>>
>> It's been long since a capable public access VMScluster
>> system has been available (especially since "Deathrow"
>> shut down, already quite some years ago).
>>
>> I realize that I could have posted this in the DEC Notes
>> of EISNER, but it doesn't appear to be very actively used
>> these days.
>>

> I suspect that a lot more people read Notes than post to it,
> so I suspect your message would have been read by a lot more people
> than it would first appear.
>
> BTW, I also suspect there are a lot more people _reading_ comp.os.vms
> than posting to it.

Even better would probably be to use the offical VSI forum.
https://forum.vmssoftware.com/

That is where the future is and where VSI replies.

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u57geo$2dem5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28281&group=comp.os.vms#28281

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 13:01:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Wed, 31 May 2023 13:01 UTC

On 2023-05-31, Jan-Erik Söderholm <jan-erik.soderholm@telia.com> wrote:

> Even better would probably be to use the offical VSI forum.
> https://forum.vmssoftware.com/
>
> That is where the future is and where VSI replies.

VSI seem to be very hit-and-miss about whether they reply to forum
postings or not.

For example, I see they never replied to Mark's questions and
observations about excessive kernel mode overhead, which he asked
a full month ago. :-(

Simon.

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<b92b9782-ce9f-4dc0-be71-68aede0379a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28282&group=comp.os.vms#28282

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 06:45:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: xyzzy1...@gmail.com (John Reagan)
 by: John Reagan - Wed, 31 May 2023 13:45 UTC

On Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 9:01:15 AM UTC-4, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2023-05-31, Jan-Erik Söderholm <jan-erik....@telia.com> wrote:
> >
> > Even better would probably be to use the offical VSI forum.
> > https://forum.vmssoftware.com/
> >
> > That is where the future is and where VSI replies.
> VSI seem to be very hit-and-miss about whether they reply to forum
> postings or not.
>
> For example, I see they never replied to Mark's questions and
> observations about excessive kernel mode overhead, which he asked
> a full month ago. :-(
> Simon.
>
> --
> Simon Clubley, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
> Walking destinations on a map are further away than they appear.
I missed those questions from Mark (and I couldn't easily find them),
but the forums are not an official support channel (even with frowny faces)

John

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u57jcn$2dndv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28283&group=comp.os.vms#28283

From: jan-erik...@telia.com (Jan-Erik Söderholm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 15:51:20 +0200
 by: Jan-Erik Söderholm - Wed, 31 May 2023 13:51 UTC

Den 2023-05-31 kl. 15:45, skrev John Reagan:
> On Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 9:01:15 AM UTC-4, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 2023-05-31, Jan-Erik Söderholm <jan-erik....@telia.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Even better would probably be to use the offical VSI forum.
>>> https://forum.vmssoftware.com/
>>>
>>> That is where the future is and where VSI replies.
>> VSI seem to be very hit-and-miss about whether they reply to forum
>> postings or not.
>>
>> For example, I see they never replied to Mark's questions and
>> observations about excessive kernel mode overhead, which he asked
>> a full month ago. :-(
>> Simon.
>>
>> --
>> Simon Clubley, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
>> Walking destinations on a map are further away than they appear.
> I missed those questions from Mark (and I couldn't easily find them),
> but the forums are not an official support channel (even with frowny faces)
>
> John

The main point is that a forum in that form is more of what any
modern IT techie expect from a forum. Usenet is dying.

I was not sayng that you'd get better answers there or such.
Just that it is where we want OpenVMS to belong, the "future".

And Marks findings was some interesting observations, but not
much that can be said about that, with the current build
methods and general lack of detail refinement, I guess...

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<f532d8c2-8fb6-4163-996b-a4712be94048n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28284&group=comp.os.vms#28284

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 07:51:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: dansabrs...@yahoo.com (abrsvc)
 by: abrsvc - Wed, 31 May 2023 14:51 UTC

On Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 9:51:23 AM UTC-4, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
> Den 2023-05-31 kl. 15:45, skrev John Reagan:

> >> VSI seem to be very hit-and-miss about whether they reply to forum
> >> postings or not.
> >>
> >> For example, I see they never replied to Mark's questions and
> >> observations about excessive kernel mode overhead, which he asked
> >> a full month ago. :-(
> >> Simon.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Simon Clubley, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
> >> Walking destinations on a map are further away than they appear.
> > I missed those questions from Mark (and I couldn't easily find them),
> > but the forums are not an official support channel (even with frowny faces)
> >
> > John
> The main point is that a forum in that form is more of what any
> modern IT techie expect from a forum. Usenet is dying.
>
> I was not sayng that you'd get better answers there or such.
> Just that it is where we want OpenVMS to belong, the "future".
>
> And Marks findings was some interesting observations, but not
> much that can be said about that, with the current build
> methods and general lack of detail refinement, I guess...

Given that is has been stated that the code is not optimized yes, I care nothing about any type of performance data at the moment other than a worksdoesn't work type of test. The performance effort will come later.

Dan

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u57v9m$2f596$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28285&group=comp.os.vms#28285

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 17:14:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Wed, 31 May 2023 17:14 UTC

On 2023-05-31, John Reagan <xyzzy1959@gmail.com> wrote:
> I missed those questions from Mark (and I couldn't easily find them),
> but the forums are not an official support channel (even with frowny faces)

https://forum.vmssoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8654

Your management keep pushing community people towards the forums, along
with promises that people from VSI will review the issues raised there
on a regular basis.

Simon.

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u57vpj$2f596$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28286&group=comp.os.vms#28286

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 17:22:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Wed, 31 May 2023 17:22 UTC

On 2023-05-31, abrsvc <dansabrservices@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Given that is has been stated that the code is not optimized yes, I care nothing about any type of performance data at the moment other than a worksdoesn't work type of test. The performance effort will come later.

You should Dan, because there are performance issues and then there
are performance issues.

It would be nice to get an indication from VSI whether the issues are
related to poor compiler code (which should be easily fixable hopefully)
or whether it is due to some architecture or design limitation, which is
not so easily fixed.

Given the problem as described, it could be either one of those two,
or a combination of both. I am having a hard time however seeing how poor
compiler code by itself could be having such a dramatic impact on this
type of kernel code.

Simon.

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<55d6b88c-023d-4f0c-82d7-59a338b84dc3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28287&group=comp.os.vms#28287

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 11:00:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: xyzzy1...@gmail.com (John Reagan)
 by: John Reagan - Wed, 31 May 2023 18:00 UTC

On Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 1:23:02 PM UTC-4, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2023-05-31, abrsvc <dansabr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Given that is has been stated that the code is not optimized yes, I care nothing about any type of performance data at the moment other than a worksdoesn't work type of test. The performance effort will come later.
> >
> You should Dan, because there are performance issues and then there
> are performance issues.
>
> It would be nice to get an indication from VSI whether the issues are
> related to poor compiler code (which should be easily fixable hopefully)
> or whether it is due to some architecture or design limitation, which is
> not so easily fixed.
>
> Given the problem as described, it could be either one of those two,
> or a combination of both. I am having a hard time however seeing how poor
> compiler code by itself could be having such a dramatic impact on this
> type of kernel code.
> Simon.
>
> --
> Simon Clubley, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
> Walking destinations on a map are further away than they appear.
I briefly skimmed the data (there is a lot of it). And I'm not an expert in this
area of the system.

Compiler optimizers rarely eliminate call frames (other than doing inline
expansion but that doesn't make the work go away). Call/return overhead
on x86 is very fast (think like JSB/RET on VAX or JSR/RET on Alpha).

Other than the shuffling of PTEs that everybody is focusing on, I'll point out
that x86 does not provide a hardware 'probe' instruction. If you want to use
'probe' to confirm access to any address, the OS (any OS, not just OpenVMS)
has to crawl around in the page tables to find the final PTE to check the access
flags. With 4K pages, those PTEs can be 4 or even 5 level deep.

We are very much aware that 'probe' can be pain and deep page table entries..
Using large hardware page sizes can reduce the depth of the page table structures
but might require code inspection. Reducing or eliminating probes can help as well.
The old theory was to probe always to avoid an exception rarely. For x86 perhaps
it might be better to skip probes but be ready to handle the rare exceptions?
An optimizer might "tighten" up the probe code but at the end of the day, there are
lots of pointers to follow and protection masks to extract and compare.

Another addition to the system (and related to that exe$random_harvest_direct seen
on some of the stack frames) is harvesting entropy at some interval.

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u587g4$2fut6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28288&group=comp.os.vms#28288

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 15:34:26 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Wed, 31 May 2023 19:34 UTC

On 5/31/2023 7:41 AM, MG wrote:
> As an almost daily user of the EISNER:: node of DECUServe,
> I began to wonder: Couldn't DECUServe serve as a cost-
> effective method for VSI to demonstrate both OpenVMS for
> x86-64 and its cross-architecture clustering capabilities
> to a wider audience?  Since VSI operates this physical
> hardware and adding a modestly configured x86-64 virtual
> machine would probably not add too much to the existing
> operating and maintenance costs of DECUServe.
>
> It could thereby also save a lot of potentially interested
> users the time and effort of having to apply for a suitable
> evaluation license and having to prepare, install and
> configure a (virtual) system, especially those who are
> entirely new and unfamiliar to OpenVMS and simply wish to
> have an end-user experience.
>
> It's been long since a capable public access VMScluster
> system has been available (especially since "Deathrow"
> shut down, already quite some years ago).

The totally new to VMS just wanting to try a few DCL commands
probably do not care what architecture they are running on - most
likely they will not even know. VMS is VMS.

But setting up a mixed mode cluster would be a pretty cool
demo.

And why not go all out? VAX + Alpha + Itanium + x86-64!!

Send a news flash to all IT magazines in the world and get
a bit of press.

Arne

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<nnd$6f0d1a96$39b9159a@34e78233e2c9d371>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28289&group=comp.os.vms#28289

Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 21:43:58 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: em_ge...@SPAMxs4all.nl (MG)
 by: MG - Wed, 31 May 2023 19:43 UTC

On 31-May-2023 21:34, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> The totally new to VMS just wanting to try a few DCL commands
> probably do not care what architecture they are running on - most
> likely they will not even know. VMS is VMS.

On what other platform can one run "a few DCL commands"?

> And why not go all out? VAX + Alpha + Itanium + x86-64!!

Electricity and other maintenance costs...? To just name
a few things (as I also mentioned in my original message).

- MG

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u5888j$2fut7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28290&group=comp.os.vms#28290

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 15:47:29 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Wed, 31 May 2023 19:47 UTC

On 5/31/2023 3:43 PM, MG wrote:
> On 31-May-2023 21:34, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> The totally new to VMS just wanting to try a few DCL commands
>> probably do not care what architecture they are running on - most
>> likely they will not even know. VMS is VMS.
>
> On what other platform can one run "a few DCL commands"?

????

VMS runs on 4 (instruction set) architectures: VAX, Alpha, Itanium
and x86-64.

And for those wanting to try DCL then I don't think it matters
which.

>> And why not go all out? VAX + Alpha + Itanium + x86-64!!
>
> Electricity and other maintenance costs...?  To just name
> a few things (as I also mentioned in my original message).

Everything cost.

But I think the PR value would be worth the electricity and
more.

Arne

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<nnd$593454f7$0f57c5c6@a076f529b106e380>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28291&group=comp.os.vms#28291

Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 22:19:09 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: em_ge...@SPAMxs4all.nl (MG)
 by: MG - Wed, 31 May 2023 20:19 UTC

On 31-May-2023 21:47, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> On what other platform can one run "a few DCL commands"?
>
> ????

Well, I was wondering, too, because beyond these as you mention
here...
> VMS runs on 4 (instruction set) architectures: VAX, Alpha,
> Itanium and x86-64.

.... I know none. (And thank you for mentioning these, because
this is surely very 'esoteric' information!)

> And for those wanting to try DCL then I don't think it
> matters which.

Maybe enough interested people don't want to worry about
that and simply would like the option of registering and
logging onto a fully installed and configured remote
system...?

- MG

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<mailman.0.1685564666.11182.info-vax_rbnsn.com@rbnsn.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28292&group=comp.os.vms#28292

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 17:23:42 -0300
To: "'comp.os.vms to email gateway'" <info-vax@rbnsn.com>
running on the system "kishost2.serverpowered.net",
has NOT identified this incoming email as spam. The original
message has been attached to this so you can view it or label
similar future email. If you have any questions, see
root\@localhost for details. Content preview: >
Content analysis details: (2.8 points, 5.0 required)
pts rule name description
3.0 BAYES_50 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%
[score: 0.5000]
0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM Sender email is commonly abused enduser mail
provider [kemain.nospam[at]gmail.com]
-0.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record
-0.1 DKIM_VALID_EF Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from
envelope-from domain
-0.1 DKIM_VALID_AU Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from
author's domain
-0.1 DKIM_VALID Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK signature
0.1 DKIM_SIGNED Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily
valid -0.0 T_SCC_BODY_TEXT_LINE No description available.
d=1e100.net; s=20221208; t=1685564623; x=1688156623;
h=thread-index:content-language:content-transfer-encoding
:mime-version:message-id:date:subject:in-reply-to:references:to:from
:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=JD3d34In4PtGn876DtH7mnDd9/KKOPuBnJSHtmsSLUY=;
b=Rld+zKhm/Xkx0463g7TTu3lE+CrXH3XaNwCnNSroMn0Sy5QFLHbTr9GM+7TVgpL3Q+
w+h8h6Lahb9QtLbvQxOAhfFO1qpZuAAaoHHDnjeNzvDeYOg8/pTLi6K9k9HxtFYZe8ud
TF6D9aO47/x3bIa3NeapWmhsaJFurC/5uDvkhxao2SNm0vBcNhhxs7ygRm6KBCQ6k2xm
gJjcwfk08L/TekObdx4yCZe/RZ2zM+7NnZp4PnQuKzWg34tvo8WodggV+67GPfXxy72i
zbMgiq2FQy+paqlMq/SVJt6VrV8Ln3l4mN0q6kvZgGQQxEqZvtlygnWOx7MqWdDLg5sQ
La3A==
d=gmail.com; s=20221208; t=1685564623; x=1688156623;
h=thread-index:content-language:content-transfer-encoding
:mime-version:message-id:date:subject:in-reply-to:references:to:from
:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=JD3d34In4PtGn876DtH7mnDd9/KKOPuBnJSHtmsSLUY=;
b=SceaiCK/IZv9hO63p3S7hSUezhmWUbDpL6A6RpyUbIuy+nDFfQe75hJoSzBW/iSeRH
HIrIelBWOjfTol1mzmmQMg1D+M1l7YExdgv2Gu7n11L7MDD4QToGBE6orvNvGoyrxFhk
DJJCu5Uwhl2kB2NgDZSPIEleGt0BXuyu8CCtTwpc8PhndU1AMPqaxPs2ooQ/6TgTHs+v
VYXCmYfX9qG/3EJKWPukD4sbD83u4U1/e1F6cnuO4Eo8dVzr3gk5Qn3buxeycEewfCO5
PQsJd4CuR9RG73F77FL0LnePQTyKsb00UlHqgKH1DV/bcvzMe83X2l7xteJx5Ux27qoC
/Yig==
 by: - Wed, 31 May 2023 20:23 UTC

Well, its an interesting idea as I have a Vax/Alpha/IA64 lab cluster (ok, in stand mode right now, but were previously part of a cluster)

Fully not supported, but a 4 different HW arch cluster would be a nice thing to showcase for bragging rights - 4 different HW arch's running in same single OS cluster.

Q for the VSI folks - is there anything embedded in the code that would prevent a VAX 32bit server from joining a AX64/IA64/X86 64bit cluster?

😊

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com

www.avg.com

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<nnd$2d6f5eea$3b8985cf@373091ec0193710d>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28293&group=comp.os.vms#28293

Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 22:40:10 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: em_ge...@SPAMxs4all.nl (MG)
 by: MG - Wed, 31 May 2023 20:40 UTC

On 31-May-2023 14:17, Simon Clubley wrote:
> I suspect that a lot more people read Notes than post to it,
> so I suspect your message would have been read by a lot more people
> than it would first appear.

Going by "Last new note", there appears to be nothing more 'recent'
than 18-MAR-2021...

Michael Brown's VAXforumII, however, has seen some activity lately.
For those interested with DECUServe accounts, give it a try:

$ RUN DISK_USER:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM

- MG

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<qQPdM.483957$ZhSc.396594@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28294&group=comp.os.vms#28294

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: lee.glea...@comcast.net (Lee Gleason)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 17:26:31 -0500
 by: Lee Gleason - Wed, 31 May 2023 22:26 UTC

On 5/31/2023 3:40 PM, MG wrote:
> On 31-May-2023 14:17, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> I suspect that a lot more people read Notes than post to it,
>> so I suspect your message would have been read by a lot more people
>> than it would first appear.
>
> Going by "Last new note", there appears to be nothing more 'recent'
> than 18-MAR-2021...
>
> Michael Brown's VAXforumII, however, has seen some activity lately.
> For those interested with DECUServe accounts, give it a try:
>
>   $ RUN DISK_USER:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM
>
>  - MG

$ RUN DISK_USER:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM
%DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image DISK_USER
[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE
..BIN]FORUM
-CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file
DSA3:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM.EXE;
-RMS-E-PRV, insufficient privilege or file protection violation

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u58hva$2h69q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28295&group=comp.os.vms#28295

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 18:33:10 -0400
 by: Dave Froble - Wed, 31 May 2023 22:33 UTC

On 5/31/2023 4:23 PM, kemain.nospam@gmail.com wrote:

> [...]

If my feeble memory still works, I think that has already been answered.

x86 cluster communications will be modified, and to include Alpha and/or itanic,
a patch for either will be required. No patches for VAX, since VSI does not
have a VAX release to which patches can be provided.

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<nnd$6f80f90a$748bbc46@c45f909af0b89c09>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28296&group=comp.os.vms#28296

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 01:00:17 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: em_ge...@SPAMxs4all.nl (MG)
 by: MG - Wed, 31 May 2023 23:00 UTC

On 1-Jun-2023 00:26, Lee Gleason wrote:
> On 5/31/2023 3:40 PM, MG wrote:
>> Michael Brown's VAXforumII, however, has seen some activity lately.
>> For those interested with DECUServe accounts, give it a try:
>>
>>    $ RUN DISK_USER:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM
>
> $ RUN DISK_USER:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM
> %DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image DISK_USER
> [DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE
> .BIN]FORUM
> -CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file
> DSA3:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM.EXE;
> -RMS-E-PRV, insufficient privilege or file protection violation

Strange, it works for me. Here's some additional information:
-------------------------------------[SOF]-------------------------------------
SYS$LOGIN:$ SHOW SYMBOL VAXFORUM
VAXF*ORUM == "RUN DISK_USER:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM"
SYS$LOGIN:$ DIRECTORY /SECURITY
DISK_USER:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM.EXE

Directory DSA3:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]

FORUM.EXE;124 [BROWN_MI] (RWED,RWED,RE,)

Total of 1 file.
-------------------------------------[EOF]-------------------------------------

Is it possible that your SYS$LOGIN: has different security
attributes set?

- MG

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u58k25$2ec6m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28297&group=comp.os.vms#28297

From: new...@cct-net.co.uk (Chris Townley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 00:08:52 +0100
 by: Chris Townley - Wed, 31 May 2023 23:08 UTC

On 01/06/2023 00:00, MG wrote:
> On 1-Jun-2023 00:26, Lee Gleason wrote:
>> On 5/31/2023 3:40 PM, MG wrote:
>>> Michael Brown's VAXforumII, however, has seen some activity lately.
>>> For those interested with DECUServe accounts, give it a try:
>>>
>>>    $ RUN DISK_USER:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM
>>
>> $ RUN DISK_USER:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM
>> %DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image DISK_USER
>> [DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE
>> .BIN]FORUM
>> -CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file
>> DSA3:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM.EXE;
>> -RMS-E-PRV, insufficient privilege or file protection violation
>
> Strange, it works for me.  Here's some additional information:
> -------------------------------------[SOF]-------------------------------------
> SYS$LOGIN:$ SHOW SYMBOL VAXFORUM
>   VAXF*ORUM == "RUN DISK_USER:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM"
> SYS$LOGIN:$ DIRECTORY /SECURITY
> DISK_USER:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]FORUM.EXE
>
> Directory DSA3:[DECUSERVE_USER.BROWN_MI.SHARE.BIN]
>
> FORUM.EXE;124        [BROWN_MI]                       (RWED,RWED,RE,)
>
> Total of 1 file.
> -------------------------------------[EOF]-------------------------------------
>
> Is it possible that your SYS$LOGIN: has different security
> attributes set?
>
>  - MG

Above shows that you own it, so not surprising that you can run it, but
no world access...

--
Chris

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u58k4l$k8r$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28298&group=comp.os.vms#28298

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 31 May 2023 23:10:13 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Wed, 31 May 2023 23:10 UTC

In article <nnd$6f0d1a96$39b9159a@34e78233e2c9d371>,
MG <em_geeNO@SPAMxs4all.nl> wrote:
>On 31-May-2023 21:34, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> The totally new to VMS just wanting to try a few DCL commands
>> probably do not care what architecture they are running on - most
>> likely they will not even know. VMS is VMS.
>
>On what other platform can one run "a few DCL commands"?

VAX. The future is VAX. Digital has it now!
--scott

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<nnd$68055fc3$45ce8203@f7e88bd46d8b8e7d>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28299&group=comp.os.vms#28299

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 01:13:49 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: em_ge...@SPAMxs4all.nl (MG)
 by: MG - Wed, 31 May 2023 23:13 UTC

On 1-Jun-2023 01:08, Chris Townley wrote:
> Above shows that you own it, so not surprising that you can run it, but
> no world access...

Incorrect, user BROWN_MI (Michael Brown) owns it, I have read and
execute access as a fellow group (i.e. DECUServe user group) member.
I originally found out about VAXforumII by seeing it mentioned in
Michael Brown's PLAN.TXT file.

- MG

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u58la1$2hgt3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28300&group=comp.os.vms#28300

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 16:30:11 -0700
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Wed, 31 May 2023 23:30 UTC

On 5/31/2023 1:23 PM, kemain.nospam@gmail.com wrote:

> [...]

It has been seen "working".

https://forum.vmssoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8674

Arne

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<u58lk6$2hhfc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28301&group=comp.os.vms#28301

From: FIRST.L...@vmssoftware.com (Robert A. Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 19:35:34 -0400
 by: Robert A. Brooks - Wed, 31 May 2023 23:35 UTC

On 5/31/2023 7:41 AM, MG wrote:
> As an almost daily user of the EISNER:: node of DECUServe,
> I began to wonder: Couldn't DECUServe serve as a cost-
> effective method for VSI to demonstrate both OpenVMS for
> x86-64 and its cross-architecture clustering capabilities
> to a wider audience?  Since VSI operates this physical
> hardware and adding a modestly configured x86-64 virtual
> machine would probably not add too much to the existing
> operating and maintenance costs of DECUServe.

As the VSI person who manages EISNER, I largely agree with this.

However, we're in the middle of moving to a different colocation facility,
and until that move is completed some time in mid-July, I really cannot
consider adding additional resources.

--

--- Rob

Re: Time to turn DECUServe into a mixed VMScluster?

<1a0f123a-bd1e-40e1-8994-1b525538382en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28302&group=comp.os.vms#28302

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms