Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

SubjectAuthor
* EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers forsms
+* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiAndy Burnelli
|`- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiNil
+* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiNY
> [...]
|||  `- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargerssms
||+- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiNY
||`* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargerssms
|| `- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersAJL
|`* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythimicky
| `* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiNY
|  `* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythimicky
|   `* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiNY
|    `- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythimicky
+- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythimicky
`* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersCalum
 +* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersJava Jive
 |+- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersJoerg Lorenz
 |`- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersAlan
 +- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersJoerg Lorenz
 +* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargerssms
 |`- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersAlan
 `* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiDavid Higton
  +* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargerssms
  |`- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythinospam
  +- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiTheo
  `- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargerssms

Pages:123
Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<9vhbji-17c.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31017&group=comp.mobile.android#31017

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:06:16 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:06 UTC

On 2022-04-22 19:04, AJL wrote:
> On 4/22/2022 5:32 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2022-04-22 10:26, NY wrote:
>
>>> For non-reversible plugs (Mini/Micro-USB) it would be useful if
>>> there was a *standard* for always including a symbol on the same
>>> side of the plug. Anker used to put a symbol on the same side of
>>> their plugs, but recent Anker leads that I have bought no longer
>>> have this symbol.
>
>> I paint the wider part of the metal connector in red with a red felt
>> pen :-)
>
>> And I also paint the devices with a red line. Unless they are
>> black...
>
> Me too. I bought a bottle of white fingernail polish at my local dollar
> store an put a positioning dot on both the connector and the device. I
> wonder what the checkout girl thought of my taste in fingernail polish...

LOL

I was thinking this morning of putting a red dot with fingernail polish
on the black devices, and then what to say when buying it :-D

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<geibji-17c.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31019&group=comp.mobile.android#31019

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:14:24 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:14 UTC

On 2022-04-22 17:01, nospam wrote:
> In article <jbpaji-mjcu.ln1@hergen.spdns.de>, Hergen Lehmann
> <hlehmann.expires.5-11@snafu.de> wrote:
>
>> For the user - surely. An USB-C socket can act as USB Host, USB Device,
>> USB Power supply, DisplayPort input/output, Thunderbolt host/device, and
>> several more. Just because two devices have an USB-C socket does NOT
>> guarantee, they can communicate with each other.
>
> that is actually a huge problem.
>
> just because a cable has usb-c connectors at each end doesn't mean it
> will actually work for a given purpose, and there's no easy way to tell
> what the capabilities of a given cable just by looking at it.
>
> mandating it is crazy.

Fortunately, you do not decide :-D

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3v6hm$neo$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31022&group=comp.mobile.android#31022

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 14:26:14 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:26 UTC

On 2022-04-22 2:14 p.m., Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-04-22 17:01, nospam wrote:
>> In article <jbpaji-mjcu.ln1@hergen.spdns.de>, Hergen Lehmann
>> <hlehmann.expires.5-11@snafu.de> wrote:
>>
>>> For the user - surely. An USB-C socket can act as USB Host, USB Device,
>>> USB Power supply, DisplayPort input/output, Thunderbolt host/device, and
>>> several more. Just because two devices have an USB-C socket does NOT
>>> guarantee, they can communicate with each other.
>>
>> that is actually a huge problem.
>>
>> just because a cable has usb-c connectors at each end doesn't mean it
>> will actually work for a given purpose, and there's no easy way to tell
>> what the capabilities of a given cable just by looking at it.
>>
>> mandating it is crazy.
>
> Fortunately, you do not decide :-D

He makes a completely valid point.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<36kbji-9ee.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31025&group=comp.mobile.android#31025

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:44:03 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:44 UTC

On 2022-04-22 23:26, Alan wrote:
> On 2022-04-22 2:14 p.m., Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2022-04-22 17:01, nospam wrote:

>>> that is actually a huge problem.
>>>
>>> just because a cable has usb-c connectors at each end doesn't mean it
>>> will actually work for a given purpose, and there's no easy way to tell
>>> what the capabilities of a given cable just by looking at it.
>>>
>>> mandating it is crazy.
>>
>> Fortunately, you do not decide :-D
>>

> He makes a completely valid point.

It doesn't matter :-D

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<220420221804261469%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31028&group=comp.mobile.android#31028

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:04:26 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 22:04 UTC

In article <36kbji-9ee.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> >> Fortunately, you do not decide :-D
> >>

> > He makes a completely valid point.
>
> It doesn't matter :-D

it does if you have a usb-c cable and find that although it fits into
the ports, it doesn't do much, if it does anything.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3vbl0$u43$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31033&group=comp.mobile.android#31033

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 15:53:20 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 22:53 UTC

On 4/22/2022 1:59 PM, sms wrote:
> On 4/22/2022 1:27 PM, NY wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Reversible at the USB-A end as well? That I have to see.
>
> <https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15429>.

Also <https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32759687123.html> for different
lengths and different colors.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<0kc66hpgpq4r25qs5rh03ivjssn6rn4o25@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31034&group=comp.mobile.android#31034

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 01:57:00 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 22:57 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:44:34 +0100, "NY"
<me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>"micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
>> Good point. Did you know that cars now have an arrow on one side of the
>> gas gauge that points to the side with the filler pipe?
>
>Yes I learned that a few years ago. I've never used to have problems with
>the various cars that I owned, learning which side each one's filler pipe
>is, because I've only ever driven one car at a time.
>
>But after I got married and started driving my car and my wife's car
>interchangeably, I had to remember that they had fillers on opposite sides.
>And I went from *knowing* that my car's filler is on the right (driver's
>side - I'm in the UK) to forgetting which car of the two had the filler on
>the left and which on the right (but knowing that they were different).
>Learning about the arrow on the fuel gauge helped a lot.
>
>It's like the position of reverse gear in the (manual gearbox) H-gate. My
>car has reverse to the left of first gear and my wife's has it to the right
>of sixth gear. Again, I know they are different but have to think "which is
>which" (or even "which car am I driving!!!!").

Very intersting story.

And I can relate to your last part. Once in a while I think the rental
car is my car.

>My Peugeot
>
>R 1 3 5
> 2 4 6
>
>My wife's Honda
>
>1 3 5
>2 4 6 R
>

>I know I could look at the numbers printed on the top of the knob, but that
>means removing my hand as I go from first to reverse, to look at the
>inscription. It's nice to be able to do things by muscle memory. I've got
>into the habit now of doing it by feel: if the lever won't go to the left of
>first it must be my wife's car so I try right of sixth. Old dogs, new
>tricks... ;-)
>
>Thankfully I never had to drive an old car with only three gears, where the
>gears are laid out totally differently:
>
>R 2
>1 3
>
>Goodness knows how they provided an interlock to prevent you going
>accidentally from first to reverse instead of first to second. I don't think
>old cars even had a collar that you had to lift to allow reverse.
>
>But all that is a digression ;-)

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3vf2h$jc5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31037&group=comp.mobile.android#31037

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:51:44 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:51 UTC

On 4/22/2022 7:06 AM, Hergen Lehmann wrote:

<snip>

> For the user - surely. An USB-C socket can act as USB Host, USB Device,
> USB Power supply, DisplayPort input/output, Thunderbolt host/device, and
> several more. Just because two devices have an USB-C socket does NOT
> guarantee, they can communicate with each other.

That's true, but there's also no guarantee that a USB-A to USB-C, or
USB-A to Micro-USB, or USB-C to Micro-USB cable going between two
devices means that the two devices can communicate. I.e. someone tried a
USB-C to Micro-USB cable between an iPad and a hard drive. This worked
fine. Then they tried a USB-C to Micro-USB cable between an iPad and an
optical drive and it did not work. But a USB-C to Micro-USB cable
between an Android device and an optical drive worked just fine so if
you wanted to watch a DVD on an Android phone or tablet it would be no
problem.

I think that one (of many) reasons that Apple has not moved to USB-C on
the iPhone is because there would be an expectation by many iPhone
owners that all the USB-OTG peripherals that work on Android would also
work on iPhone. It's pretty rare to find a USB

The other issue is with the compatibility of USB-C PD chargers and
devices that you want to charge. There is no guarantee that a USB-C PD
charger will power and charge all USB-C devices since the device may
operate at a higher voltage and current than the USB-C PD charger is
able to provide. I have a USB-C PD charger that can put out up to 100
watts <https://www.ugreen.com/products/100w-3c1a-gan-fast-charger>. I
power my Windows laptop with it using a "USB-C PD emulator trigger
adapter" that tells the charger to output 20 volts to the coaxial power
connector. I can charge all sorts of non-USB-C devices, at a variety of
voltages, using those emulator triggers. The goal is to minimize the
number of chargers that I carry when traveling.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<220420222018250719%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31038&group=comp.mobile.android#31038

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 20:18:25 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 00:18 UTC

In article <t3vf2h$jc5$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> Then they tried a USB-C to Micro-USB cable between an iPad and an
> optical drive and it did not work. But a USB-C to Micro-USB cable
> between an Android device and an optical drive worked just fine so if
> you wanted to watch a DVD on an Android phone or tablet it would be no
> problem.

the number of people who want to use a dvd player on a phone or tablet
is close to zero. either copy the video to the device or stream it.

> I think that one (of many) reasons that Apple has not moved to USB-C on
> the iPhone is because there would be an expectation by many iPhone
> owners that all the USB-OTG peripherals that work on Android would also
> work on iPhone. It's pretty rare to find a USB

no, the reason is simple: more than a billion people have iphones and
are not interested in getting new cables and accessories, especially
since many other apple devices also use lightning, not just iphones.

ipads have an entirely different use case than phones and where usb-c
is a better choice, plus they don't sell anywhere near the quantity of
iphones.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3vm6i$133$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31043&group=comp.mobile.android#31043

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:53:22 -0700
 by: AJL - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 01:53 UTC

On 4/22/2022 5:18 PM, nospam wrote:

> more than a billion people have iphones and are not interested in
> getting new cables and accessories,

Including those of us (both iPhone and Android owners) who use wireless
charging...

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t40m3o$9hg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31058&group=comp.mobile.android#31058

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:57:17 +0100
 by: NY - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:57 UTC

>>It's like the position of reverse gear in the (manual gearbox) H-gate. My
>>car has reverse to the left of first gear and my wife's has it to the
>>right
>>of sixth gear. Again, I know they are different but have to think "which
>>is
>>which" (or even "which car am I driving!!!!").
>
> Very intersting story.

The interesting thing is driving my wife's car makes me forget which way my
own car's gears are laid out, even though I've been used to that layout for
many years: I think all three Peugeots (306/308) and two VW Golfs (Mark 2
and Mark 3) have been that way round (OK, someone will now prove me wrong!).
I prefer it because it is a shorter movement, so it is easier to alternate
between first and reverse.

The other thing I have to remember is that all of my cars have been
forgiving about engaging reverse while the car is still rolling forwards
slightly (as long as I don't bring the clutch up, obviously!) whereas both
of my wife's Hondas require the car to be completely at rest before reverse
will engage without a graunching noise. You get used to undocumented
features and start to rely on them ;-)

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<6r886h94o29gifdft99tllng1pga64236a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31068&group=comp.mobile.android#31068

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 19:04:33 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 16:04 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:57:17 +0100, "NY"
<me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>"micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
>>>It's like the position of reverse gear in the (manual gearbox) H-gate. My
>>>car has reverse to the left of first gear and my wife's has it to the
>>>right
>>>of sixth gear. Again, I know they are different but have to think "which
>>>is
>>>which" (or even "which car am I driving!!!!").
>>
>> Very intersting story.
>
>The interesting thing is driving my wife's car makes me forget which way my
>own car's gears are laid out, even though I've been used to that layout for
>many years: I think all three Peugeots (306/308) and two VW Golfs (Mark 2
>and Mark 3) have been that way round (OK, someone will now prove me wrong!).
>I prefer it because it is a shorter movement, so it is easier to alternate
>between first and reverse.

You have two choices. Either make your wife drive your old car, or dump
her altogether.

>The other thing I have to remember is that all of my cars have been
>forgiving about engaging reverse while the car is still rolling forwards
>slightly (as long as I don't bring the clutch up, obviously!) whereas both
>of my wife's Hondas require the car to be completely at rest before reverse
>will engage without a graunching noise. You get used to undocumented
>features and start to rely on them ;-)

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t43ajb$1bbu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31107&group=comp.mobile.android#31107

From: com.gm...@nospam.scottishwildcat (Calum)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 11:59:55 +0100
 by: Calum - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 10:59 UTC

On 22/04/2022 02:00, sms wrote:
> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>
> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
> benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.

It's not really. What happens when something better comes along that's
not backwards compatible, and we have to wait for the EU to change the
law before we can start using that instead? Or something better comes
along that is backwards compatible, so then they have to ship dongles
with everything so you can still plug a USB-C cable into it? All those
dongles will end up in landfill instead.

I'm generally pro-EU, but I'm not sure this is the masterstroke they
think it is.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t43c5e$abn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31108&group=comp.mobile.android#31108

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 12:26:34 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 11:26 UTC

On 24/04/2022 11:59, Calum wrote:

> On 22/04/2022 02:00, sms wrote:
>>
>> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>>
>> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
>> benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.
>
> It's not really. What happens when something better comes along that's
> not backwards compatible, and we have to wait for the EU to change the
> law before we can start using that instead? Or something better comes
> along that is backwards compatible, so then they have to ship dongles
> with everything so you can still plug a USB-C cable into it? All those
> dongles will end up in landfill instead.
>
> I'm generally pro-EU, but I'm not sure this is the masterstroke they
> think it is.

Laws can be amended to keep them in step with technological progress.
The EU are doing this precisely because of the wasted resources across
their population, and by implication the rest of the world, that
currently occur by everyone needing different cables and different
chargers for different pieces equipment which could in principle be all
connected and/or charged using one type of cable and one type of
charger. So you're trying to argue a vague and unknown future
disadvantage against a current known benefit.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t43mtg$omn$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31114&group=comp.mobile.android#31114

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:30:08 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:30 UTC

Am 24.04.22 um 12:59 schrieb Calum:
> On 22/04/2022 02:00, sms wrote:
>> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>>
>> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
>> benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.
>
> It's not really. What happens when something better comes along that's
> not backwards compatible, and we have to wait for the EU to change the
> law before we can start using that instead? Or something better comes
> along that is backwards compatible, so then they have to ship dongles
> with everything so you can still plug a USB-C cable into it? All those
> dongles will end up in landfill instead.
>
> I'm generally pro-EU, but I'm not sure this is the masterstroke they
> think it is.

You do not understand the processes behind this new regulation.
The last of the Mohicans is Apple and they will soon be compliant.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t43mvc$omn$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31115&group=comp.mobile.android#31115

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:31:08 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:31 UTC

Am 24.04.22 um 13:26 schrieb Java Jive:
> On 24/04/2022 11:59, Calum wrote:
>>
>> On 22/04/2022 02:00, sms wrote:
>>>
>>> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>>>
>>> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
>>> benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.
>>
>> It's not really. What happens when something better comes along that's
>> not backwards compatible, and we have to wait for the EU to change the
>> law before we can start using that instead? Or something better comes
>> along that is backwards compatible, so then they have to ship dongles
>> with everything so you can still plug a USB-C cable into it? All those
>> dongles will end up in landfill instead.
>>
>> I'm generally pro-EU, but I'm not sure this is the masterstroke they
>> think it is.
>
> Laws can be amended to keep them in step with technological progress.

They will and it is a part of the whole process and the new legislation.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t43ot7$aqm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31119&group=comp.mobile.android#31119

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 08:04:04 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 15:04 UTC

On 4/24/2022 3:59 AM, Calum wrote:
> On 22/04/2022 02:00, sms wrote:
>> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>>
>> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
>> benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.
>
> It's not really. What happens when something better comes along that's
> not backwards compatible, and we have to wait for the EU to change the
> law before we can start using that instead? Or something better comes
> along that is backwards compatible, so then they have to ship dongles
> with everything so you can still plug a USB-C cable into it? All those
> dongles will end up in landfill instead.
>
> I'm generally pro-EU, but I'm not sure this is the masterstroke they
> think it is.

The proposed law allows for "something better" as long as it's a
standard, and not proprietary.

But practically speaking, USB-C has been designed in a way that the
physical connector and the interface will be usable for many decades.
Legally, the maximum DC voltage could go up to the limit imposed by
safety agencies, and USB-C 2.1 allows up to 48 volts which is 240 watts
at the full 5 amps (the current version of the standard tops out at 100
watts which is still sufficient for nearly all laptops).

Hopefully Apple will soon migrate the rest of their portable products to
USB-C like they did with most of the iPads.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t43qfs$m2c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31122&group=comp.mobile.android#31122

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 08:31:08 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 15:31 UTC

On 2022-04-24 4:26 a.m., Java Jive wrote:
> On 24/04/2022 11:59, Calum wrote:
>>
>> On 22/04/2022 02:00, sms wrote:
>>>
>>> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>>>
>>> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then
>>> the benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.
>>
>> It's not really. What happens when something better comes along that's
>> not backwards compatible, and we have to wait for the EU to change the
>> law before we can start using that instead? Or something better comes
>> along that is backwards compatible, so then they have to ship dongles
>> with everything so you can still plug a USB-C cable into it? All those
>> dongles will end up in landfill instead.
>>
>> I'm generally pro-EU, but I'm not sure this is the masterstroke they
>> think it is.
>
> Laws can be amended to keep them in step with technological progress.
> The EU are doing this precisely because of the wasted resources across
> their population, and by implication the rest of the world, that
> currently occur by everyone needing different cables and different
> chargers for different pieces equipment which could in principle be all
> connected and/or charged using one type of cable and one type of
> charger.  So you're trying to argue a vague and unknown future
> disadvantage against a current known benefit.

Riiiiiight.

Because huge governments made up of other governments are known for
their quick reactions to technological change.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<bfec4ade59.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31139&group=comp.mobile.android#31139

From: dav...@davehigton.me.uk (David Higton)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 19:56:55 +0100
 by: David Higton - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:56 UTC

In message <t43ajb$1bbu$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Calum <com.gmail@nospam.scottishwildcat> wrote:

> On 22/04/2022 02:00, sms wrote:
> > See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
> >
> > This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
> > benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.
>
> It's not really. What happens when something better comes along that's not
> backwards compatible, and we have to wait for the EU to change the law
> before we can start using that instead? Or something better comes along
> that is backwards compatible, so then they have to ship dongles with
> everything so you can still plug a USB-C cable into it? All those dongles
> will end up in landfill instead.

There's no doubt that they will eventually end up being disposed of
(but let's all hope that recycling technology improves too, so they
won't simply be landfilled as-is). But all technology products have
life phases; successful ones have a few years of being mainstream,
and I have no doubt that USB-C chargers will.

Mobile phones are not the only products that need chargers, so there
probably are and will be other products that benefit from future
charger developments, so mobile phone manufacturers will be able to
go to the EU and petition to use them.

If they become relevant, that is. I find it difficult to imagine
that mobile phones will require more than 100 watts from chargers.

So I think we can all happily accept the benefits of standardisation
and the resultant competition.

David

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t447d2$1o3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31140&group=comp.mobile.android#31140

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 12:11:28 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 19:11 UTC

On 4/24/2022 11:56 AM, David Higton wrote:

<snip>

> Mobile phones are not the only products that need chargers, so there
> probably are and will be other products that benefit from future
> charger developments, so mobile phone manufacturers will be able to
> go to the EU and petition to use them.
>
> If they become relevant, that is. I find it difficult to imagine
> that mobile phones will require more than 100 watts from chargers.
>
> So I think we can all happily accept the benefits of standardisation
> and the resultant competition.

It depends how well-thought out the standard is.

Look at twisted-pair Ethernet. It began as 10Mb/s and now is up to
400Gb/s, using the same RJ45 plug. The cables have improved to support
higher speeds.

USB-C appears to be in the same category in terms of being
well-designed, including the PD capability with variable voltage as well
as the data speeds. For Apple to have adopted USB-C on most of the new
iPads, speaks volumes about the superiority of USB-C over Lightning.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<240420221641470062%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31145&group=comp.mobile.android#31145

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:41:47 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 20:41 UTC

In article <t447d2$1o3$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> For Apple to have adopted USB-C on most of the new
> iPads, speaks volumes about the superiority of USB-C over Lightning.

no, and not all ipads. the higher end ipads have use cases where usb-c
is a better choice. iphones and the entry level ipad are not the same
and better served with lighting.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<RJg*OaxMy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31149&group=comp.mobile.android#31149

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 24 Apr 2022 22:26:59 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 21:26 UTC

David Higton <dave@davehigton.me.uk> wrote:
> Mobile phones are not the only products that need chargers, so there
> probably are and will be other products that benefit from future
> charger developments, so mobile phone manufacturers will be able to
> go to the EU and petition to use them.
>
> If they become relevant, that is. I find it difficult to imagine
> that mobile phones will require more than 100 watts from chargers.

I think the really big win here is those 'other things'. I haven't read the
proposed legislation so I don't know what is covered, but there's a very
long tail of 'things with their own charger' that really don't need one.

For example I have a cheap 14.4v lithium ion drill that comes with a 2A
wallwart to slow charge it (the wallwart plugs directly into a barrel socket
on the battery). But of course that means I need to find the wallwart when
it needs recharging. If it had a USB-C port I could just plug it into
whatever charger was lying around and charge it. I could also easily charge
it in the car if I wanted, something I couldn't do with the wallwart without
a large mains inverter.

There's a lot of things like that that are shipping with a proprietary
wallwart because they're lazy, rather than because that's a requirement of
the product. Then what happens is the product wears out (the drill motor
burns out or something) while the wallwart survives, but the wallwart is no
use to anyone. So you get this:
https://www.newyorker.com/cartoon/a16285

Theo

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t44l8h$65n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31154&group=comp.mobile.android#31154

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:08:01 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 23:08 UTC

On 2022-04-24 8:04 a.m., sms wrote:
> On 4/24/2022 3:59 AM, Calum wrote:
>> On 22/04/2022 02:00, sms wrote:
>>> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>>>
>>> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then
>>> the benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.
>>
>> It's not really. What happens when something better comes along that's
>> not backwards compatible, and we have to wait for the EU to change the
>> law before we can start using that instead? Or something better comes
>> along that is backwards compatible, so then they have to ship dongles
>> with everything so you can still plug a USB-C cable into it? All those
>> dongles will end up in landfill instead.
>>
>> I'm generally pro-EU, but I'm not sure this is the masterstroke they
>> think it is.
>
> The proposed law allows for "something better" as long as it's a
> standard, and not proprietary.

Would you quote that part of it, please?

> But practically speaking, USB-C has been designed in a way that the
> physical connector and the interface will be usable for many decades.

Could? Sure.

Is it the way to bet? "MANY decades"?

> Legally, the maximum DC voltage could go up to the limit imposed by
> safety agencies, and USB-C 2.1 allows up to 48 volts which is 240 watts
> at the full 5 amps (the current version of the standard tops out at 100
> watts which is still sufficient for nearly all laptops).
>
> Hopefully Apple will soon migrate the rest of their portable products to
> USB-C like they did with most of the iPads.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t4657f$3j2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31169&group=comp.mobile.android#31169

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 05:46:38 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:46 UTC

On 4/24/2022 11:56 AM, David Higton wrote:

<snip>

> If they become relevant, that is. I find it difficult to imagine
> that mobile phones will require more than 100 watts from chargers.

Xiaomi has already demonstrated 200 watt wired charging
<https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_demos_200w_charger_tops_up_custom_mi_11_pro_in_just_8_minutes-news-49383.php>.

The higher wattage enables higher-speed charging.

The next revision of the PD standard increases the maximum wattage to
240 watts by increasing the maximum voltage to 48 volts. They won't go
to higher current since the limiting factor for cables is the current.

They could go as high as 60 VDC (actually, since there are no exposed
contacts on USB-C, that someone could touch with their finger, they
could probably go even higher). Technically, Apple could also go up to
60VDC with the Lightning cable, even with exposed contacts, but this is
unlikely).

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t51pq6$col$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31761&group=comp.mobile.android#31761

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 17:23:35 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 6 May 2022 00:23 UTC

On 4/22/2022 8:20 AM, sms wrote:
> On 4/22/2022 1:26 AM, NY wrote:
>> "sms" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>>> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>>>
>>> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then
>>> the benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.
>>
>> It's a shame that there isn't a new reversible standard for the USB-A
>> plug at the other end of most USB leads. I find it very difficult to
>> determine the correct way round for this plug when the socket is
>> recessed into my PC slightly: the USB sockets and SD/CF memory card
>> slots are all on a panel which is recessed about 1" compared with the
>> front panel of the PC.
>>
>> For non-reversible plugs (Mini/Micro-USB) it would be useful if there
>> was a *standard* for always including a symbol on the same side of the
>> plug. Anker used to put a symbol on the same side of their plugs, but
>> recent Anker leads that I have bought no longer have this symbol.
>
> There are reversible Micro-USB cables. Very useful to not have to worry
> about getting the orientation correct.
> <https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002314835037.html>.

I received two of these today. Very good idea.