Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion. -- Mike Coleman

computers / comp.mobile.android / Usb-c to usb-c

SubjectAuthor
* Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
+* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
|+* Re: Usb-c to usb-cnospam
||`- Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
| `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
|  +- Re: Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
|  `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burns
|   +* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
|   |+* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burns
|   ||`* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
|   || `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
|   ||  `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
|   ||   `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
|   ||    `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
|   ||     `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
|   ||      `- Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
|   |`* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burns
|   | `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
|   |  `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burns
|   |   `- Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
|   `- Re: Usb-c to usb-cBob Martin
+* Re: Usb-c to usb-cMajorLanGod
|+* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
||+- Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
||`* Re: Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
|| `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
||  `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
||   `* Re: Usb-c to usb-csms
||    +* Re: Usb-c to usb-cnospam
||    |+- Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
||    |`* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAJL
||    | +- Re: Usb-c to usb-cnospam
||    | +- Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
||    | `* Re: Usb-c to usb-csms
||    |  +* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
||    |  |+* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
||    |  ||`- Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
||    |  |+- Re: Usb-c to usb-cHank Rogers
||    |  |`* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAlan
||    |  | `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cnospam
||    |  |  +- Re: Usb-c to usb-cAJL
||    |  |  `- Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
||    |  `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cnospam
||    |   `- Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
||    `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
||     `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
||      `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
||       `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
||        `- Re: Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
|`- Re: Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
+- Re: Usb-c to usb-csms
+* Re: Usb-c to usb-csms
|`- Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli
`* Re: Usb-c to usb-cRob
 `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cCarlos E.R.
  `* Re: Usb-c to usb-cRob
   `- Re: Usb-c to usb-cAndy Burnelli

Pages:123
Subject: Usb-c to usb-c
From: Carlos E.R.
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 20:01 UTC
From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 22:01:17 +0200
View all headers
Hi,

I just got a new phone. A modest Moto g52. There were only two choices with Android 12, the other one was the g22, but commentators said it felt slow. And I am partial to this brand (fewer customization). I bought the previous model on spring or summer of 2018, and it is still working except one thing (and no system updates).

I find few snags: no FM radio (the g22 has it), that it is not 5G, and that the dual sim slot is "hybrid", ie, the second position is either the second SIM or a micro SD card (the g22 admits the 3 cards). It only has 6GB ram, 128 GB of flash. If I add the µSD card, it can be 1TB (the g22 has 4GB ram).

Compromises.

I made a full backup of the old phone on my computer (a moto G6+), and started the new phone without the SIM, yet. Soon after starting, after activating the wifi, it asked if I wanted to copy over accounts/apps/data.

Hell yes.

Connect cables, "no, I don't see your other phone". And then it says that it is a phone to phone cable, an usb-c to usb-c.

I still had time to try to buy one, but it is a holiday here, many places do not open. And it is 6€ more for a 10 cm cable.

Fortunately, it accepts WiFi.

It told me to find and start Google app on the other phone, but there was no need: after placing one near the other, the old phone detected the new one and asked if I wanted to allow the copy. It asked if I saw the same geometric pattern on both phones. Then just a few questions about what I wanted to copy. I said all. 15GB. Still, it says some videos and photos may not be copied. Well, maybe I can transfer those later, manually, if I want to.

This was a nice surprise, transferring old phone to new phone has never been easier.

Of course, there is still 54 minutes to go, it says. Oops, now it says 49.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Subject: Re: Usb-c to usb-c
From: Andy Burnelli
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 02:16 UTC
From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 03:16:43 +0100
Carlos E.R. wrote:

I just got a new phone. A modest Moto g52. There were only two choices with Android 12,

I haven't seen anything in the news worthwhile about Android 12 that you
can't back port if you really want the feature; have you? Has anyone?

the other one was the g22 but commentators said it felt slow. And I am partial to this brand (fewer customization). I bought the previous model on spring or summer of 2018,

I've had the $200 Moto G and the $100 Moto G7, both from Google on sale
each time, and I too liked the "clean" interface of the Motorola Android.

The nice thing is almost all consumer electronics get better faster cheaper
over time (save for one, and you know which one that is, so I won't say).

and it is still working except one thing (and no system updates).

Just to be clear to the others lurking, you have plenty of "updates" on an
Android phone, as even all the way back to 4.4 the news said they were
being updated; what you don't have are Android _version_ updates most
likely, and, likely the security patch updates (after a few years).

The rest of Android (which is _most_ of Android), updates for quite a long
time, and, for some items, there is no known EOL date any of us can find.

Here is a one-to-one comparison of those two phones, G52 vs G22
https://phonesdata.com/en/compare/5462208/5462094/
 Release Date: 2022, April | 2022, March 04
 Dimensions: 160.1 x 74.5 x 8 mm | 164 x 75 x 8.5 mm
 Weight: 169 g | 185 g
 Screen: 6.6", AMOLED | 6.5", IPS LCD
 Main Camera: Triple, 50 MP | Quad, 50 MP
 Selfi Camera: Single, 16 MP | Single, 16 MP
 Memory: 128GB 4GB RAM | 64GB 4GB RAM
 Battery: 5000 mAh | 5000 mAh
 Headphone Jack: Yes | Yes
 Approximate price: 250 EUR | $ 345

Where, like most phones (save for one brand) it has the standard
functionality of the headphone jack & the sdslot (so it's odd that it
doesn't have the FM radio you speak of).

Running through the rest of the specs, your new phone has a Qualcomm
processor (Qualcomm SM6225 Snapdragon 680 4G (6 nm), Octa-core (4x2.4 GHz
Kryo 265 Gold & 4x1.9 GHz Kryo 265 Silver), while the older phone was a
Mediatek CPU.

And the new phone is a fast charging 30 Watt, which is hard to tell from
the specs, but did the 30W fast charging brick come with the new phone?

Compromises.

I made a full backup of the old phone on my computer (a moto G6+), and started the new phone without the SIM, yet. Soon after starting, after activating the wifi, it asked if I wanted to copy over accounts/apps/data.

I recently set up a spare Samsung Galaxy A32-5G and it too asked me if I
wanted to do that (this person had a google account set up on the phone).

Hell yes.

Connect cables, "no, I don't see your other phone". And then it says that it is a phone to phone cable, an usb-c to usb-c.

You can do it over the radio if they're on the same network, I think.
I think it uses an ad hoc network in fact - but I'm not really sure.

Fortunately, it accepts WiFi.

Ah, yes. I thought so. That was my experience although I was wary of the
transfer so I'll be interested to see how well yours went along, but bear
in mind I've posted many times that _all_ the crap that the Android's used
to do that the iKooks blasphemed, have been rectified over time (the iKooks
haven't kept up with the times of course).

One of those things was how easy it is nowadays to move your stuff over.

It told me to find and start Google app on the other phone, but there was no need: after placing one near the other, the old phone detected the new one and asked if I wanted to allow the copy. It asked if I saw the same geometric pattern on both phones. Then just a few questions about what I wanted to copy. I said all. 15GB.

Is it using an ad hoc network? I think it may be doing that.
Others will know better than I do though.

Still, it says some videos and photos may not be copied. Well, maybe I can transfer those later, manually, if I want to.

I suspect that may be standard boilerplate because you can put media in a
ton of places that it might not be looking (e.g., I have my PulseSMS media
go into its own folder on the external sdcard).

This was a nice surprise, transferring old phone to new phone has never been easier.

Yup. Not only have almost all consumer electronics (save for one) gotten
better faster cheaper over time, but Android updates have gotten better, as
had Android app functionality, and, in particular, the integration of teh
Android device for easy updates.
Of course, there is still 54 minutes to go, it says. Oops, now it says 49.

Please let us knwo the details as I was leery of it so I did a manual
migration instead but I saw what you saw (Android 11 in this case).
--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.

From: nospam
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 02:25 UTC
From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 22:25:30 -0400
View all headers
In article <t4q39n$17ld$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

I haven't seen anything in the news worthwhile about Android 12 that you
can't back port if you really want the feature; have you? Has anyone?

then you haven't looked, and what you call 'back port' is essentially
reimplementing android 12, something which took google quite some time
to do.

The nice thing is almost all consumer electronics get better faster cheaper
over time (save for one, and you know which one that is, so I won't say).

that one also gets better faster cheaper, trollboi.

Others will know better than I do though.

oh, they very definitely do, on just about everything.

From: MajorLanGod
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 02:29 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 02:29:26 GMT
"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in

Hi,

I find few snags: no FM radio (the g22 has it), that it is not 5G, and
that the dual sim slot is "hybrid", ie, the second position is either
the second SIM or a micro SD card (the g22 admits the 3 cards). It
only has 6GB ram, 128 GB of flash. If I add the µSD card, it can be
1TB (the g22 has 4GB ram).

When you say no FM radio do you mean no FM chip? If it has a radio chip you
can use next radio and your earphone (cable acts as antenna) to listen to
off-the-air stations as opposed to over the net ones.

From: Andy Burnelli
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 07:33 UTC
From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 08:33:49 +0100
nospam wrote:

I haven't seen anything in the news worthwhile about Android 12 that you
can't back port if you really want the feature; have you? Has anyone?

then you haven't looked, and what you call 'back port' is essentially
reimplementing android 12, something which took google quite some time
to do.

You bullshit so much nospam that I'm not even going to ask you to name even
a _single_ useful functionality of Android 12 that isn't already backported
into Android 11.

The nice thing is almost all consumer electronics get better faster cheaper
over time (save for one, and you know which one that is, so I won't say).

that one also gets better faster cheaper, trollboi.

You _hate_ that your beloved iPhone is the only common consumer electronics
that does NOT get better faster cheaper over time.

Others will know better than I do though.

oh, they very definitely do, on just about everything.

And yet you never can back up a single claim you make nospam.

The reason you can't back up any of your claims is simple:
a. Your IQ is no higher than about 80
b. You lack formal education
c. Your self esteem is in the toilet (rightfully so) where you are   _desperate_ to garner self esteem from what Apple advertising feeds you.

When you can back up even a single claim you make, then, after that, you
can come back and tell we Android owners how much you know about Android.

From: Andy Burnelli
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 07:41 UTC
From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 08:41:04 +0100
View all headers
MajorLanGod wrote:

When you say no FM radio do you mean no FM chip? If it has a radio chip you can use next radio and your earphone (cable acts as antenna) to listen to off-the-air stations as opposed to over the net ones.

The adults on this newsgroup will note all but the iKooks are trying to
_help_ Chris, where I too found it odd that the FM radio would be missing.

Especially given that the headphone jack is still there (which is half the
problem set).

The OP knows exactly what sub model he has, but a general check finds
conflicting information on the presence of the Motorola G52 FM radio.
https://droidchart.com/en/motorola/motorola-moto-g52-motog52-7773
 "This Motorola smartphone has FM radio receiver."
  https://www.gizmochina.com/product/motorola-moto-g52/
 "FM Radio = Unspecified"

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Motorola-Moto-G52_id11899
 "Radio: FM, Stereo, RDS"

https://latestmobilefaq.com/motorola-moto-g52-faqs-nfc-ir-blaster-ois-5g-waterproof-body/
 "Q : Does Motorola Moto G52 support FM Radio?
  A : No, Motorola Moto G52 does not supports FM Radio."

etc. --
Everyone but the iKooks is trying to be purposefully helpful to the OP.
(The iKooks are only interested in defending all things Apple.)

From: Andy Burnelli
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 07:41 UTC
From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 08:41:56 +0100
View all headers
Andy Burnelli wrote:

The adults on this newsgroup will note all but the iKooks are trying to
_help_ Chris, where I too found it odd that the FM radio would be missing.

Carlos.

From: Carlos E.R.
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 09:18 UTC
From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 11:18:18 +0200
View all headers
On 2022-05-03 04:16, Andy Burnelli wrote:
Carlos E.R. wrote:

I just got a new phone. A modest Moto g52. There were only two choices with Android 12,

I haven't seen anything in the news worthwhile about Android 12 that you
can't back port if you really want the feature; have you? Has anyone?

That's irrelevant.

the other one was the g22 but commentators said it felt slow. And I am partial to this brand (fewer customization). I bought the previous model on spring or summer of 2018,

I've had the $200 Moto G and the $100 Moto G7, both from Google on sale
each time, and I too liked the "clean" interface of the Motorola Android.

The nice thing is almost all consumer electronics get better faster cheaper
over time (save for one, and you know which one that is, so I won't say).

and it is still working except one thing (and no system updates).

Just to be clear to the others lurking, you have plenty of "updates" on an
Android phone, as even all the way back to 4.4 the news said they were
being updated; what you don't have are Android _version_ updates most
likely, and, likely the security patch updates (after a few years).

No.

You get updates to the apps, but not system updates. My phone is clear that the last one is from July 2020.

The rest of Android (which is _most_ of Android), updates for quite a long
time, and, for some items, there is no known EOL date any of us can find.

I find few snags: no FM radio (the g22 has it), that it is not 5G, and that the dual sim slot is "hybrid", ie, the second position is either the second SIM or a micro SD card (the g22 admits the 3 cards). It only has 6GB ram, 128 GB of flash. If I add the �SD card, it can be 1TB (the g22 has 4GB ram).

Here is a one-to-one comparison of those two phones, G52 vs G22
https://phonesdata.com/en/compare/5462208/5462094/
Release Date: 2022, April | 2022, March 04
Dimensions: 160.1 x 74.5 x 8 mm | 164 x 75 x 8.5 mm
Weight: 169 g | 185 g
Screen: 6.6", AMOLED | 6.5", IPS LCD
Main Camera: Triple, 50 MP | Quad, 50 MP
Selfi Camera: Single, 16 MP | Single, 16 MP
Memory: 128GB 4GB RAM | 64GB 4GB RAM
Battery: 5000 mAh | 5000 mAh
Headphone Jack: Yes | Yes
Approximate price: 250 EUR | $ 345

Where, like most phones (save for one brand) it has the standard
functionality of the headphone jack & the sdslot (so it's odd that it
doesn't have the FM radio you speak of).

It is mentioned on Motorola web page.

Running through the rest of the specs, your new phone has a Qualcomm
processor (Qualcomm SM6225 Snapdragon 680 4G (6 nm), Octa-core (4x2.4 GHz
Kryo 265 Gold & 4x1.9 GHz Kryo 265 Silver), while the older phone was a
Mediatek CPU.

And the new phone is a fast charging 30 Watt, which is hard to tell from
the specs, but did the 30W fast charging brick come with the new phone?

Yes. It did charge fast.

And in-ear headphones.

Compromises.

I made a full backup of the old phone on my computer (a moto G6+), and started the new phone without the SIM, yet. Soon after starting, after activating the wifi, it asked if I wanted to copy over accounts/apps/data.

I recently set up a spare Samsung Galaxy A32-5G and it too asked me if I
wanted to do that (this person had a google account set up on the phone).

Hell yes.

Connect cables, "no, I don't see your other phone". And then it says that it is a phone to phone cable, an usb-c to usb-c.

You can do it over the radio if they're on the same network, I think.
I think it uses an ad hoc network in fact - but I'm not really sure.

Yes, that's what I did. It insists the phones have to be close to one another, so maybe it uses NFC at some point at least.

I still had time to try to buy one, but it is a holiday here, many places do not open. And it is 6� more for a 10 cm cable.

Fortunately, it accepts WiFi.

Ah, yes. I thought so. That was my experience although I was wary of the
transfer so I'll be interested to see how well yours went along, but bear
in mind I've posted many times that _all_ the crap that the Android's used
to do that the iKooks blasphemed, have been rectified over time (the iKooks
haven't kept up with the times of course).

One of those things was how easy it is nowadays to move your stuff over.

It did not transfer the entire whatsapp stuff, only a little bit. It relies on whatasapp own internal backup (which is uploaded to google drive), but that one doesn't include photos/videos unless you tick for it, and then it takes ages. So I did that internal backup of messages, and later just cloned the directories across phones, using the computer. Worked perfectly. Oh, it insisted on importing from the google drive backup any way, so I let it. But I can see the photos on the messages, so it's fine.

Of course, takes a lot of space in the phone. I will deal with that another day.

It told me to find and start Google app on the other phone, but there was no need: after placing one near the other, the old phone detected the new one and asked if I wanted to allow the copy. It asked if I saw the same geometric pattern on both phones. Then just a few questions about what I wanted to copy. I said all. 15GB.

Is it using an ad hoc network? I think it may be doing that.
Others will know better than I do though.

Very possibly, it did not say. Certainly not via my router.

Still, it says some videos and photos may not be copied. Well, maybe I can transfer those later, manually, if I want to.

I suspect that may be standard boilerplate because you can put media in a
ton of places that it might not be looking (e.g., I have my PulseSMS media
go into its own folder on the external sdcard).

This was a nice surprise, transferring old phone to new phone has never been easier.

Yup. Not only have almost all consumer electronics (save for one) gotten
better faster cheaper over time, but Android updates have gotten better, as
had Android app functionality, and, in particular, the integration of teh
Android device for easy updates.
Of course, there is still 54 minutes to go, it says. Oops, now it says 49.

Please let us knwo the details as I was leery of it so I did a manual
migration instead but I saw what you saw (Android 11 in this case).

It worked well, but not everything was transferred. Whatsapp I copied manually. k9 did not transfer; on starting it, I noticed it suggested to import a backup file, which I then generated on the old phone, and transferred. I imported it, but I still had to enter the isp mail password - which is a good thing.

So I think that applications that have their own backup system (like these two) are not transferred via the general system.

It transferred my background photo, but it did not transfer "the icons" on the "desktop". So now I am creating the shortcuts to start each app, one by one, and re-organizing them.

Interestingly, even though the screens are the same size on both phones, at least one widget is bigger on the new phone. Both are 2x1, but has more pixels. Visibly so. (rain alarm).

--
Cheers, Carlos.

From: Carlos E.R.
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 09:19 UTC
From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 11:19:50 +0200
View all headers
On 2022-05-03 04:29, MajorLanGod wrote:
"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in

Hi,

I find few snags: no FM radio (the g22 has it), that it is not 5G, and
that the dual sim slot is "hybrid", ie, the second position is either
the second SIM or a micro SD card (the g22 admits the 3 cards). It
only has 6GB ram, 128 GB of flash. If I add the µSD card, it can be
1TB (the g22 has 4GB ram).

When you say no FM radio do you mean no FM chip? If it has a radio chip you
can use next radio and your earphone (cable acts as antenna) to listen to
off-the-air stations as opposed to over the net ones.

AFAIK, no FM radio chip. The old phone has it, but not the g52. I would like it to have FM, but there was no choice.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

From: Carlos E.R.
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 09:28 UTC
From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 11:28:08 +0200
View all headers
On 2022-05-03 09:41, Andy Burnelli wrote:
MajorLanGod wrote:

When you say no FM radio do you mean no FM chip? If it has a radio chip you can use next radio and your earphone (cable acts as antenna) to listen to off-the-air stations as opposed to over the net ones.

The adults on this newsgroup will note all but the iKooks are trying to
_help_ Chris, where I too found it odd that the FM radio would be missing.

Especially given that the headphone jack is still there (which is half the
problem set).

The OP knows exactly what sub model he has, but a general check finds
conflicting information on the presence of the Motorola G52 FM radio.
https://droidchart.com/en/motorola/motorola-moto-g52-motog52-7773
"This Motorola smartphone has FM radio receiver."

Well, I just tried, and indeed the radio FM works. I'm very surprised. It is certainly not mentioned by them:

https://www.motorola.es/smartphones-moto-g-52/p

And has RDS, at least the station name and maybe program name.

https://www.gizmochina.com/product/motorola-moto-g52/
"FM Radio = Unspecified"

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Motorola-Moto-G52_id11899
"Radio: FM, Stereo, RDS"

https://latestmobilefaq.com/motorola-moto-g52-faqs-nfc-ir-blaster-ois-5g-waterproof-body/ "Q : Does Motorola Moto G52 support FM Radio?
  A : No, Motorola Moto G52 does not supports FM Radio."

etc.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

From: sms
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 13:18 UTC
From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 06:18:28 -0700
On 5/2/2022 1:01 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
Hi,

I just got a new phone. A modest Moto g52. There were only two choices with Android 12, the other one was the g22, but commentators said it felt slow. And I am partial to this brand (fewer customization). I bought the previous model on spring or summer of 2018, and it is still working except one thing (and no system updates).

I find few snags: no FM radio (the g22 has it), that it is not 5G, and that the dual sim slot is "hybrid", ie, the second position is either the second SIM or a micro SD card (the g22 admits the 3 cards). It only has 6GB ram, 128 GB of flash. If I add the µSD card, it can be 1TB (the g22 has 4GB ram).

The SOC in the g52 (Snapdragon 680) supports an FM radio, and the G52 has a headphone jack for an antenna.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Motorola-Moto-G52_id11899 states that the g52 has an FM radio. They might have been basing this off the fact that the Snapdragon 680 has FM radio capability, though it's possible that Motorola disabled the FM radio.

Sometimes you have to just install an FM radio app when the specs don't say that it has an FM radio. Try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.fmplayer

From: sms
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 14:50 UTC
From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 07:50:24 -0700
[...]

Samsung includes a USB-A to USB-C OTG adapter as well as a USB-A to USB-C cable so you can do USB-C to USB-C transfer.

Since many new USB-C PD chargers also support QC 3.0, I prefer USB-C to USB-C cables and having a good stock of high-quality, high-wattage, cables is a good idea. These cables are not cheap, even ordered from China they are around $4 for a high quality, braided, strain-relieved, 100 watt, cable from a >96% rated seller.

From: Rob
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 14:53 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 16:53:47 +0200
Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
This was a nice surprise, transferring old phone to new phone has never
been easier.

I always find it a little disappointing that it only transfers data and
a list of apps to be installed, and nothing w.r.t. settings, stored
credentials, etc.

Even when the old and new phone are exactly the same type (happens regularly
in our company when people have dropped the phone etc), it still is a lot
of work to get everything setup, registered and logged in again. I
would hope that at some time Google can master the art of transferring
settings 100% between the same devices and "as best as possible" when
upgrading to a new device.

From: Andy Burnelli
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 15:19 UTC
From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 16:19:31 +0100
View all headers
Carlos E.R. wrote:

I haven't seen anything in the news worthwhile about Android 12 that you
can't back port if you really want the feature; have you? Has anyone?

That's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant if it's those _features_ of Android 12 that you want.
:)

Just to be clear to the others lurking, you have plenty of "updates" on an
Android phone, as even all the way back to 4.4 the news said they were
being updated; what you don't have are Android _version_ updates most
likely, and, likely the security patch updates (after a few years).

You get updates to the apps, but not system updates.

We covered this. In detail. Ask Andy Burns. You get _plenty_ of system updates on Android after Android 10.

In fact you get updates to almost the entire system (25 core modules!).
Those _system_ updates are in _addition_ to the key app updates. And they're in addition to _Android Security_ updates. And they're in addition to _Android Version_ updates.

Almost all of the Android _system_ is updated with no known EOL date.

that the last one is from July 2020.

You didn't say of what, so I presume you mean Security Updates.

I agree that they don't last as long as the Android system updates do.
Nor as long as the Android Version updates do.

Where, like most phones (save for one brand) it has the standard
functionality of the headphone jack & the sdslot (so it's odd that it
doesn't have the FM radio you speak of).

It is mentioned on Motorola web page.

In another post to someone else on this same thread I showed that you can
easily find that some reports say the FM radio is there, others say it's
not there, and that still others say it's maybe there. :)

I'm just saying in general I've seen the FM radio and the headphone jack as
a pair, but they don't have to be a pair - they just often usually are.

And the new phone is a fast charging 30 Watt, which is hard to tell from
the specs, but did the 30W fast charging brick come with the new phone?

Yes. It did charge fast.

Most Android phones come with huge batteries and fast chargers nowadays.
Did that 30W fast charger come with the phone in the box?

And in-ear headphones.

Great! Motorola knows how to take care of their customer base.

You can do it over the radio if they're on the same network, I think.
I think it uses an ad hoc network in fact - but I'm not really sure.

Yes, that's what I did. It insists the phones have to be close to one another, so maybe it uses NFC at some point at least.

Thanks for that information. When I saw what it wanted to do, I wasn't sure
what it would do so I didn't do it. It's nice that you tried & that it
worked. I wonder if it copied over all the old apps and re-installed them?

One of those things was how easy it is nowadays to move your stuff over.

It did not transfer the entire whatsapp stuff, only a little bit.

Maybe it brought over _just_ the app, and not the app data?

It relies on whatasapp own internal backup (which is uploaded to google drive), but that one doesn't include photos/videos unless you tick for it, and then it takes ages. So I did that internal backup of messages, and later just cloned the directories across phones, using the computer. Worked perfectly. Oh, it insisted on importing from the google drive backup any way, so I let it. But I can see the photos on the messages, so it's fine.

Good! Thanks for letting us know as just with almost all consumer devices
getting better faster cheaper, Android is just getting easier to port from
one phone to another by the day! Good for you! Good for us.

Of course, takes a lot of space in the phone. I will deal with that another day.

You have plenty. :) I think you said you have 128GB. Plus portable memory
if you want it (the sdcard isn't really useful anymore for expansion - but
it's _still_ useful for portable memory - like thumb drives are on PCs).

It told me to find and start Google app on the other phone, but there was no need: after placing one near the other, the old phone detected the new one and asked if I wanted to allow the copy. It asked if I saw the same geometric pattern on both phones. Then just a few questions about what I wanted to copy. I said all. 15GB.

Is it using an ad hoc network? I think it may be doing that.
Others will know better than I do though.

Very possibly, it did not say. Certainly not via my router.

Probably ad hoc but who knows which radio. Bluetooth? NFC? Wi-FI? Dunno.
We can let nospam tell us. :)

Please let us knwo the details as I was leery of it so I did a manual
migration instead but I saw what you saw (Android 11 in this case).

It worked well, but not everything was transferred. Whatsapp I copied manually. k9 did not transfer; on starting it, I noticed it suggested to import a backup file, which I then generated on the old phone, and transferred. I imported it, but I still had to enter the isp mail password - which is a good thing.

So I think that applications that have their own backup system (like these two) are not transferred via the general system.

Interesting. Good to know. Luckily you still have the old phone so you can
copy "stuff" over one by one as you find out what's missing.

It transferred my background photo, but it did not transfer "the icons" on the "desktop". So now I am creating the shortcuts to start each app, one by one, and re-organizing them.

Just a reminder that "some" App Launchers have a "backup" option. Nova free launcher does, for example. Nova will bring over _all_ the app icons in the exact same place they were
on your old phone. I've done it many times so I know that it works well.

Interestingly, even though the screens are the same size on both phones, at least one widget is bigger on the new phone. Both are 2x1, but has more pixels. Visibly so. (rain alarm).

I don't remember the pixel difference but that "might" be the reason.
Also each launcher default to its own grid (Nova lets you set the grid).
--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.

From: Andy Burnelli
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 15:26 UTC
From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 16:26:31 +0100
View all headers
Carlos E.R. wrote:

Well, I just tried, and indeed the radio FM works. I'm very surprised. It is certainly not mentioned by them:

https://www.motorola.es/smartphones-moto-g-52/p

And has RDS, at least the station name and maybe program name.

Thanks for checking as I found it odd that it had all the basic expected
industry standard functionality that most phones have, so I found it odd
that it wouldn't have FM radio.

I don't even know what RDS is... so I'll search since others may be similar
to me in not knowing offhand what it is...  "Radio data system or RDS is a standard for sending small amounts   of data through conventional FM radio broadcasts. The RDS system
  standardizes several types of information transmitted, including
  track/artist info and station identification."
  https://www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3
  https://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=339

There's a lot more detail here:
 *What the heck is the RDS?*
https://boss104.gu/boss-104-3-blog/322619

I'm glad it supports industry standards, unlike some other brand we know.
--
On Usenet, intelligent well-educated people kindly help each other out.

From: Andy Burnelli
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 15:30 UTC
From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 16:30:02 +0100
View all headers
sms wrote:

Since many new USB-C PD chargers also support QC 3.0, I prefer USB-C to USB-C cables and having a good stock of high-quality, high-wattage, cables is a good idea.

While I have a good stock of ten feet long USB-C to USB-A, and luckily, so
far, all my free fast chargers have been USB-A, I think we're all destined
to need to keep those USB-C to USB-C cables around (Sigh. One more cable.)
--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.

From: Carlos E.R.
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 16:14 UTC
From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 18:14:05 +0200
View all headers
On 2022-05-03 17:19, Andy Burnelli wrote:
Carlos E.R. wrote:

I haven't seen anything in the news worthwhile about Android 12 that you
can't back port if you really want the feature; have you? Has anyone?

That's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant if it's those _features_ of Android 12 that you want.
:)

It is irrelevant because I don't care about the features.

Just to be clear to the others lurking, you have plenty of "updates" on an
Android phone, as even all the way back to 4.4 the news said they were
being updated; what you don't have are Android _version_ updates most
likely, and, likely the security patch updates (after a few years).

You get updates to the apps, but not system updates.

We covered this. In detail. Ask Andy Burns. You get _plenty_ of system updates on Android after Android 10.

My phone is on 9, and no, it is not getting updates, which have to be published by Motorola, and they don't.

In fact you get updates to almost the entire system (25 core modules!).
Those _system_ updates are in _addition_ to the key app updates.
And they're in addition to _Android Security_ updates. And they're in addition to _Android Version_ updates.

Almost all of the Android _system_ is updated with no known EOL date.

that the last one is from July 2020.

You didn't say of what, so I presume you mean Security Updates.

No, it is "actualizaciones de sistema", clearly labelled as such in the setup of my phone. Then it says that the last security patch was applied 2020-07-01.

And then I have the problem of "Android Auto" not connecting to my car.

I agree that they don't last as long as the Android system updates do.
Nor as long as the Android Version updates do.

Where, like most phones (save for one brand) it has the standard
functionality of the headphone jack & the sdslot (so it's odd that it
doesn't have the FM radio you speak of).

It is mentioned on Motorola web page.

In another post to someone else on this same thread I showed that you can
easily find that some reports say the FM radio is there, others say it's
not there, and that still others say it's maybe there. :)

I'm just saying in general I've seen the FM radio and the headphone jack as
a pair, but they don't have to be a pair - they just often usually are.

Yes, and I posted that the FM radio indeed does work.

And the new phone is a fast charging 30 Watt, which is hard to tell from
the specs, but did the 30W fast charging brick come with the new phone?

Yes. It did charge fast.

Most Android phones come with huge batteries and fast chargers nowadays.
Did that 30W fast charger come with the phone in the box?

Yes.

And in-ear headphones.

Great! Motorola knows how to take care of their customer base.

It even has a semi-soft transparent plastic back cover.

The manual is just 2 or 3 pages in each language, fits in my palm. Small print.

I still have not figured out "gestures", which are different than on the previous phone for no reason.

You can do it over the radio if they're on the same network, I think.
I think it uses an ad hoc network in fact - but I'm not really sure.

Yes, that's what I did. It insists the phones have to be close to one another, so maybe it uses NFC at some point at least.

Thanks for that information. When I saw what it wanted to do, I wasn't sure
what it would do so I didn't do it. It's nice that you tried & that it
worked. I wonder if it copied over all the old apps and re-installed them?

Yes, it did reinstall all the apps, but not all their data.

One of those things was how easy it is nowadays to move your stuff over.

It did not transfer the entire whatsapp stuff, only a little bit.

Maybe it brought over _just_ the app, and not the app data?

Just one directory of the data.

[...]

It is not that plenty when photos get bigger with each camera; and I can not put a memory card as I want to have the 2nd SIM available for travelling when needed.

I will have a go at further compressing the photos, and perhaps the videos. Some script. One week I'm not too busy.

It told me to find and start Google app on the other phone, but there was no need: after placing one near the other, the old phone detected the new one and asked if I wanted to allow the copy. It asked if I saw the same geometric pattern on both phones. Then just a few questions about what I wanted to copy. I said all. 15GB.

Is it using an ad hoc network? I think it may be doing that.
Others will know better than I do though.

Very possibly, it did not say. Certainly not via my router.

Probably ad hoc but who knows which radio. Bluetooth? NFC? Wi-FI? Dunno.
We can let nospam tell us. :)

I guess NFC for negotiation and authorization, then WiFi. I heard of an NFC+WiFi chip for doing just this.

Please let us knwo the details as I was leery of it so I did a manual
migration instead but I saw what you saw (Android 11 in this case).

It worked well, but not everything was transferred. Whatsapp I copied manually. k9 did not transfer; on starting it, I noticed it suggested to import a backup file, which I then generated on the old phone, and transferred. I imported it, but I still had to enter the isp mail password - which is a good thing.

So I think that applications that have their own backup system (like these two) are not transferred via the general system.

Interesting. Good to know. Luckily you still have the old phone so you can
copy "stuff" over one by one as you find out what's missing.

I made a full backup to the computer. My previous phone will be repurposed with my secondary number, and my previous-previous phone will go to storage or guests.

It transferred my background photo, but it did not transfer "the icons" on the "desktop". So now I am creating the shortcuts to start each app, one by one, and re-organizing them.

Just a reminder that "some" App Launchers have a "backup" option. Nova free launcher does, for example.
Nova will bring over _all_ the app icons in the exact same place they were
on your old phone. I've done it many times so I know that it works well.

Yes, I know, we commented about that. I like keeping these things on "stock".

I take the chance to reorganize the icons :-)

From: Carlos E.R.
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 16:23 UTC
From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 18:23:18 +0200
View all headers
On 2022-05-03 17:26, Andy Burnelli wrote:
Carlos E.R. wrote:

Well, I just tried, and indeed the radio FM works. I'm very surprised. It is certainly not mentioned by them:

https://www.motorola.es/smartphones-moto-g-52/p

And has RDS, at least the station name and maybe program name.

Thanks for checking as I found it odd that it had all the basic expected
industry standard functionality that most phones have, so I found it odd
that it wouldn't have FM radio.

It is a nice surprise, after having resigned to not having it.

I don't even know what RDS is... so I'll search since others may be similar
to me in not knowing offhand what it is... "Radio data system or RDS is a standard for sending small amounts  of data through conventional FM radio broadcasts. The RDS system
  standardizes several types of information transmitted, including
  track/artist info and station identification."
 https://www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3
 https://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=339

There's a lot more detail here:
*What the heck is the RDS?*
https://boss104.gu/boss-104-3-blog/322619

Basically, it transmits the (FM) station identifier, or network identifier; sometimes also the program name. It is useful in the car radio, because as you drive the system automatically moves over to another station of the same name in the area. It also transmits some other data such as the current hour and I forget which.

Unfortunately, some stations do not transmit a "good" time clock, can be off by anything from one minute to 30, even hours. So you set the car clock to "auto", and it is constantly shifting and driving you nuts. So, set the car clock to "manual". Have new gadgets to then disable them. Not the first time they goof like this... happened to the VCRs, too.

Changing stations automatically can also be a problem, when the radio network changes to regional or local information instead of national. When you are in the "frontier" region or in the mountains, the radio keeps changing to the best station, but the program is totally different. Pain on the backside then.

From: Carlos E.R.
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 16:25 UTC
From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 18:25:54 +0200
View all headers
On 2022-05-03 16:53, Rob wrote:
Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
This was a nice surprise, transferring old phone to new phone has never
been easier.

I always find it a little disappointing that it only transfers data and
a list of apps to be installed, and nothing w.r.t. settings, stored
credentials, etc.

Even when the old and new phone are exactly the same type (happens regularly
in our company when people have dropped the phone etc), it still is a lot
of work to get everything setup, registered and logged in again. I
would hope that at some time Google can master the art of transferring
settings 100% between the same devices and "as best as possible" when
upgrading to a new device.

Maybe they think that transmitting passwords is a security risk. Clone a phone with the cable, and steal that person identity.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

From: Rob
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 16:43 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 18:43:41 +0200
On 2022-05-03 16:53, Rob wrote:
Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
This was a nice surprise, transferring old phone to new phone has never
been easier.

I always find it a little disappointing that it only transfers data and
a list of apps to be installed, and nothing w.r.t. settings, stored
credentials, etc.

Even when the old and new phone are exactly the same type (happens regularly
in our company when people have dropped the phone etc), it still is a lot
of work to get everything setup, registered and logged in again. I
would hope that at some time Google can master the art of transferring
settings 100% between the same devices and "as best as possible" when
upgrading to a new device.

Maybe they think that transmitting passwords is a security risk. Clone a
phone with the cable, and steal that person identity.

As you noted, before the transfer starts there are things that you
need to do on both phones, and maybe they can be extended.
But as it is now, swapping a phone because of a defect or upgrade is
much more work than would be desirable (and than is the case with
the equipment of the competitor)

From: sms
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 17:00 UTC
From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 10:00:26 -0700
On 2022-05-03 17:26, Andy Burnelli wrote:
Carlos E.R. wrote:

Well, I just tried, and indeed the radio FM works. I'm very surprised. It is certainly not mentioned by them:

https://www.motorola.es/smartphones-moto-g-52/p

And has RDS, at least the station name and maybe program name.

Thanks for checking as I found it odd that it had all the basic expected
industry standard functionality that most phones have, so I found it odd
that it wouldn't have FM radio.

It is a nice surprise, after having resigned to not having it.

I was surprised at just how many people actually use the FM radio. I've used it on occasion but lately I've seen others using it and not buying phones that lack it.

From: nospam
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 17:16 UTC
From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 13:16:11 -0400
View all headers
In article <t4rn3e$of1$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

I was surprised at just how many people actually use the FM radio. I've
used it on occasion but lately I've seen others using it and not buying
phones that lack it.

bullshit, nor can you tell if someone is using it without asking them.

industry stats show that it's rarely used and not a factor in purchase
decisions.

From: Carlos E.R.
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 21:03 UTC
From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 23:03:19 +0200
View all headers
On 2022-05-03 17:26, Andy Burnelli wrote:
Carlos E.R. wrote:

Well, I just tried, and indeed the radio FM works. I'm very surprised. It is certainly not mentioned by them:

https://www.motorola.es/smartphones-moto-g-52/p

And has RDS, at least the station name and maybe program name.

Thanks for checking as I found it odd that it had all the basic expected
industry standard functionality that most phones have, so I found it odd
that it wouldn't have FM radio.

It is a nice surprise, after having resigned to not having it.

I was surprised at just how many people actually use the FM radio. I've used it on occasion but lately I've seen others using it and not buying phones that lack it.

It is a commodity.

Say I'm driving listening to something, so when I enter the supermarket I may want to continue listening to it. Not something I do every day, far from it, but occasionally. It is the only place I use it, elsewhere I prefer a real radio with proper speakers.

Given the choice of having it or not, I prefer a phone with it, if the rest is acceptable.

Other people take a walk while listening to the radio. Yes, there is internet radio, but not everybody has unlimited internet plans.

For instance, when using internet radio with "radioonline", I can only select the central station of the network I want, not the local one of my city. I can use the app provided by that network to select any city, but it is full of adware, bloated. A pain to use. And requires registration.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

From: Andy Burns
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 07:46 UTC
From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 08:46:45 +0100
View all headers
Andy Burnelli wrote:

Carlos E.R. wrote:

You get updates to the apps, but not system updates.

You get _plenty_ of system updates on Android after Android 10.

In fact you get updates to almost the entire system (25 core modules!).
Those _system_ updates are in _addition_ to the key app updates.
And they're in addition to _Android Security_ updates. And they're in addition to _Android Version_ updates.

Did anyone receive the April Play System Update yet?  I'm still stuck on the March version.  On my Pixel5a it has already received the May Security Update.

But they still make it almost impossible to see what "core module" updates your device has received via the play system mechanism... you shouldn't have to copy apk/apex files off the thing over adb and poke about inside zip archives on a PC to check what version you have ...

From: Andy Burnelli
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 10:34 UTC
From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 11:34:47 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Did anyone receive the April Play System Update yet?  I'm still stuck on the March version.  On my Pixel5a it has already received the May Security Update.

But they still make it almost impossible to see what "core module" updates your device has received via the play system mechanism... you shouldn't have to copy apk/apex files off the thing over adb and poke about inside zip archives on a PC to check what version you have ...

You're well ahead of me with your Pixel over my Samsung Galaxy A32-5G.
 One UI version = 4.1
 Android version = 12
 Google Play Store = 30.3.21-21 <com.android.vending>
 Google Play Services = 22.12.15 <com.google.android.gms>
 Google Play system update = January 1, 2022
 Baseband version = A326USQU7BVD1
 Kernel version = 4.14.186-23893183 Apr 7 2022
 Build number = SP1A.210812.016.A326USQU7BVD1
 SE for Android status = Apr 07 2022
 Knox version = 3.8 Knox API level 35
 Service provider software version = (long - see screenshot)
 Carrier configuration version = 2.370001
 Security software version = ASKS v4.5 Release 20211027
 Android security patch level = April 1, 2022

However, I just noticed I have a "Google Play Services" update:
https://i.postimg.cc/FHJ16nvF/update01.jpg Android 11->12 screwed up!
https://i.postimg.cc/BZD7B2tr/update02.jpg 22.12.15 (150400-439420056)
https://i.postimg.cc/cJK9rbjn/update03.jpg Reload all software :(
https://i.postimg.cc/yNwf9T4r/update04.jpg Google Play Services update

So I just updated it  From: Google Play Services 22.12.15 (150400-439420056)
 To: Google Play Services 22.12.15 (190400-439420056)
https://i.postimg.cc/mkSVvfc0/update05.jpg 22.12.15 (190400-439420056)

You're still way ahead of me on your Google Play system update though.
 Yours: April 1, 2022
 Mine: January 1, 2022

Let's see where the others are.
--
On Usenet, kind-hearted purposefully helpful people carry on polite
discussions which benefit everyone who participates in the convesation.