The clothes have no emperor. -- C. A. R. Hoare, commenting on ADA.

computers / alt.windows7.general / How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

SubjectAuthor
* How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
+* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Paul
|`- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
+* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?DanS
|+- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Ken Blake
|+- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
|`- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?J. P. Gilliver (John)
+* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?tumppiw
|`* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
| +- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Char Jackson
| `- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?tumppiw
+* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Zaidy036
|`* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
| +* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Zaidy036
| |`* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Paul
| | `* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
| |  `* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Char Jackson
| |   +* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Paul
| |   |`* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Char Jackson
| |   | +* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Paul
| |   | |+* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Char Jackson
| |   | ||`- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
| |   | |`* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| |   | | `- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Paul
| |   | `- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
| |   `- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
| `- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Char Jackson
+- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Boris
`* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Zaidy036
 `- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Paul

Pages:12
How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<MPG.3c14a6be6f647aed98fe4b@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3181&group=alt.windows7.general#3181

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 22:12:51 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 06:12 UTC

I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. Yes, it's ancient,
but I have years' worth of backups made with Acronis that I don't
want to lose access to. (My Windows 8.1 PC has Macrium Reflect.)

In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
up to that .tib file. If I then double-click that disk icon, I get a
regular Explorer view of the folders in the root directory. I do this
when I want to restore an old version of a file, or compare it to the
current version.

But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. Device Manager has
"Acronis Devices" » "Acronis Backup Archive Explorer", but the right-
click menu and the Properties window don't contain anything useful.

Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
but surely there's an easier and faster way?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<sof2ve$f65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3182&group=alt.windows7.general#3182

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 01:48:05 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 06:48 UTC

On 12/4/2021 1:12 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. Yes, it's ancient,
> but I have years' worth of backups made with Acronis that I don't
> want to lose access to. (My Windows 8.1 PC has Macrium Reflect.)
>
> In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
> get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
> backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
> up to that .tib file. If I then double-click that disk icon, I get a
> regular Explorer view of the folders in the root directory. I do this
> when I want to restore an old version of a file, or compare it to the
> current version.
>
> But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
> doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
> in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. Device Manager has
> "Acronis Devices" » "Acronis Backup Archive Explorer", but the right-
> click menu and the Properties window don't contain anything useful.
>
> Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
> but surely there's an easier and faster way?

http://dl.acronis.com/u/pdf/ATIH2010_userguide_en-US.pdf

Page 140 or so. "17.2 Unmounting an image"

Tools & Utilities : Unmount Image

Paul

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<XnsADF653879BABBthisnthatroadrunnern@216.166.97.131>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3183&group=alt.windows7.general#3183

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: t.h.i.s....@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m (DanS)
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 07:12:40 -0600
 by: DanS - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 13:12 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in

> I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. Yes, it's
> ancient, but I have years' worth of backups made with
> Acronis that I don't want to lose access to. (My Windows
> 8.1 PC has Macrium Reflect.)

(REGARDLESS OF ANYTHING I WROTE BELOW, THE *MOST* IMPORTANT
THING IS JUST TO BACKUP PERIOD!!!! ...what I've stated below, works for ME.
YMMV. And, I speak of home use.)

Interesting...

Why do you need years worth of *backups*?

I mean...you have data, and you have an OS to access your data.

Currenlty, I've got about 800G of data that I've been collecting for two decades (or
longer). This is music, a huge karaoke track collection, a few TV shows/series, a few
movies, tax return data & other documents, pictures, etc....This even includes some
s/w install packages for s/w I want to have access to in the future, like the last
completely free version of IcoFX (a deluxe icon editor that became pay-ware). Also
included, are install packages from AbandonWare...and things like that.

The wife's got her own data HDD as well. We have our data stored on separate HDDs
away from the OS.

Regardless of the OS, these data HDDs get moved to new PCs. Over the years, as
the data grew, and HDD space went up and prices down, data HDDs were
replaced/updated.

My backups are only of the data HDDs, as that's the important stuff. I don't know if I've
ever made a system drive backup.

My SOP if I ever had a non-repairable Windows install (very rare), was to just start
anew with a fresh Windows install, and install programs as needed. I've also switched
to many free/FOSS software for some tasks. I also make a point of saving info and reg
files for Windows tweaks done to a new PC so, 1) I know what I've 'tweaked' and 2) I
don't have to go and search out information, like I've got a good number of reg files
ready for import if need be.

Also, the backups I do are plain xcopy (older) & (later) robocopy backups, so files are
ready to use as necessary. I've got backups on removable USB drives, and I've got
duplicate backups on NAS.

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<softv1$v0q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3185&group=alt.windows7.general#3185

From: tump...@gmail.com (tumppiw)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 16:28:47 +0200
 by: tumppiw - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 14:28 UTC

Stan Brown kirjoitti 4.12.2021 klo 8.12:
> I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. Yes, it's ancient,
> but I have years' worth of backups made with Acronis that I don't
> want to lose access to. (My Windows 8.1 PC has Macrium Reflect.)
>
> In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
> get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
> backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
> up to that .tib file. If I then double-click that disk icon, I get a
> regular Explorer view of the folders in the root directory. I do this
> when I want to restore an old version of a file, or compare it to the
> current version.
>
> But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
> doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
> in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. Device Manager has
> "Acronis Devices" » "Acronis Backup Archive Explorer", but the right-
> click menu and the Properties window don't contain anything useful.
>
> Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
> but surely there's an easier and faster way?

File Explorer: Right click on the Acronis "Disk" in the left (disk)
panel and remove (or something like that)

Thomas Wendell
Helsinki, Finland
Translation to/from FI/SWE not always accurate

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<j11f97F6t5hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3186&group=alt.windows7.general#3186

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 08:20:06 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 15:20 UTC

On 12/4/2021 6:12 AM, DanS wrote:
> Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in
>
>> I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. Yes, it's
>> ancient, but I have years' worth of backups made with
>> Acronis that I don't want to lose access to. (My Windows
>> 8.1 PC has Macrium Reflect.)
>
> (REGARDLESS OF ANYTHING I WROTE BELOW, THE *MOST* IMPORTANT
> THING IS JUST TO BACKUP PERIOD!!!! ...what I've stated below, works for ME.
> YMMV. And, I speak of home use.)
>
> Interesting...
>
> Why do you need years worth of *backups*?

I was about to ask the same question. Normally the only thing anybody
needs is the current backup and an older generation or two if the
current one fails.

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<MPG.3c153908d290f5a298fe4c@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3187&group=alt.windows7.general#3187

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 08:37:03 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 16:37 UTC

On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 01:48:05 -0500, Paul wrote:

> On 12/4/2021 1:12 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> > I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. ...
> >
> > In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
> > get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
> > backup opens,...
> >
> > But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
> > doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
> > in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. Device Manager has
> > "Acronis Devices" » "Acronis Backup Archive Explorer", but the right-
> > click menu and the Properties window don't contain anything useful.
> >
> > Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
> > but surely there's an easier and faster way?
> >

> http://dl.acronis.com/u/pdf/ATIH2010_userguide_en-US.pdf
>
> Page 140 or so. "17.2 Unmounting an image"
>
> Tools & Utilities : Unmount Image

Thanks for weighing in, Paul. I did find that page when I googled
before posting, and I tried what it said. But Acronis "Unmount
image" ran the spinner for a minute or so and then announced there
were no mounted images. If I mount an image through that interface, I
can dismount the same image through that interface, but both those
operations are quite slow, upwards of a minute, whereas File Explorer
responds instantaneous to a double-click.

If I can mount a backup as a file structure in File Explorer, without
opening Acronis, then surely there must be some way to unmount it in
File Explorer, without opening Acronis? (Again, opening it through
File Explorer doesn't assign it a drive letter, whereas opening it
through Acronis does. But that is _much_ slower.)

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<MPG.3c1539bffe83e4e298fe4d@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3188&group=alt.windows7.general#3188

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 08:40:04 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 16:40 UTC

On Sat, 04 Dec 2021 07:12:40 -0600, DanS wrote:
> Why do you need years worth of *backups*?

Because I have finite active disk storage, so I delete things I'm
pretty sure I won't want to refer to again. Then something happens,
and I find I want that thing after all, possibly years later.

Granted, that's quite infrequent with years-old backups, but every
couple of weeks I find I need to check an older version of a file
against the version currently on my PC's hard drive.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<MPG.3c153a5e76590d9d98fe4e@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3189&group=alt.windows7.general#3189

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 08:42:46 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 16:42 UTC

On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 16:28:47 +0200, tumppiw wrote:

> Stan Brown kirjoitti 4.12.2021 klo 8.12:
> > I have Acronis True Image 10 ...
> >
> > In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
> > get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
> > backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
> > up to that .tib file. If I then double-click that disk icon, I get a
> > regular Explorer view of the folders in the root directory. I do this
> > when I want to restore an old version of a file, or compare it to the
> > current version.
> >
> > But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
> > doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
> > in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. Device Manager has
> > "Acronis Devices" » "Acronis Backup Archive Explorer", but the right-
> > click menu and the Properties window don't contain anything useful.
> >
> > Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
> > but surely there's an easier and faster way?
> >

> File Explorer: Right click on the Acronis "Disk" in the left (disk)
> panel and remove (or something like that)

The left panel just shows navigation as a folder tree. There is a
disk icon in the right-hand panel, but right-clicking it doesn't give
any option to dismount, remove, release, etc.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<sog6i6$m5e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3190&group=alt.windows7.general#3190

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:55:35 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 16:55 UTC

On 12/4/2021 1:12 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. Yes, it's ancient,
> but I have years' worth of backups made with Acronis that I don't
> want to lose access to. (My Windows 8.1 PC has Macrium Reflect.)
>
> In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
> get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
> backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
> up to that .tib file. If I then double-click that disk icon, I get a
> regular Explorer view of the folders in the root directory. I do this
> when I want to restore an old version of a file, or compare it to the
> current version.
>
> But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
> doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
> in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. Device Manager has
> "Acronis Devices" » "Acronis Backup Archive Explorer", but the right-
> click menu and the Properties window don't contain anything useful.
>
> Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
> but surely there's an easier and faster way?

Did you try the just closing File Explorer and then reopening it?

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<04NtplIxM9qhFw7D@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3191&group=alt.windows7.general#3191

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 20:44:33 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 20:44 UTC

On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 at 07:12:40, DanS
<t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote (my responses
usually follow points raised):
>Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in
>
>> I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. Yes, it's
>> ancient, but I have years' worth of backups made with
>> Acronis that I don't want to lose access to. (My Windows
>> 8.1 PC has Macrium Reflect.)
>
>(REGARDLESS OF ANYTHING I WROTE BELOW, THE *MOST* IMPORTANT
>THING IS JUST TO BACKUP PERIOD!!!! ...what I've stated below, works for ME.
>YMMV. And, I speak of home use.)

Agreed ...

>Interesting...
>
>Why do you need years worth of *backups*?

... and I was wondering that. The OP has answered - he has limited
"active" space (though I'm not sure what he means by that), and
occasionally needs access to older _versions_. (I'm sure he's backing up
more than he needs, but I suspect we all do that - and the time needed
to sort out duplicates comes up against the plummeting cost of storage.)
[snip]

BUT:

>My backups are only of the data HDDs, as that's the important stuff. I
>don't know if I've
>ever made a system drive backup.
>
>My SOP if I ever had a non-repairable Windows install (very rare), was
>to just start
>anew with a fresh Windows install, and install programs as needed. I've
>also switched
>to many free/FOSS software for some tasks. I also make a point of
>saving info and reg
>files for Windows tweaks done to a new PC so, 1) I know what I've
>'tweaked' and 2) I
>don't have to go and search out information, like I've got a good
>number of reg files
>ready for import if need be.

Each to his own: the rarity of your non-repairable installation, plus
perhaps your relatively simple setup (and/or willingness to take a
disaster as an opportunity to discard stuff you don't use), may make
your "SOP" work for you. Personally, starting with a fresh windows
install, then installing all the software I use (whether "as needed" or
otherwise: probably not "as needed" as I don't _remember_ what I use:
I'd just find something didn't work how I was used to because I'd not
[re-]installed something), applying all the "reg files", other Windows
tweaks, updates, finding keys/passwords ...would just take me so much
longer (probably at least days), compared to restoring a system image of
C: (I think about 15 minutes, but even if it's a couple of hours) to get
back to where I was, with everything set up and working how I had it - a
no-brainer. I _do_ keep most of my _data_ on a separate partition,
backed up in a different manner (I use Macrium for C:). But, whatever
works for you!

>Also, the backups I do are plain xcopy (older) & (later) robocopy
>backups, so files are
>ready to use as necessary. I've got backups on removable USB drives,
>and I've got
>duplicate backups on NAS.

Yes, for my _data_ partition backup, I do use a basic copy, for the same
reason - so it's accessible without needing anything unusual to be
installed. (I use SyncToy.)

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the God who endowed me with sense,
reason, and intellect intends me to forego their use". - Gallileo Gallilei

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<adonqg5nmtjm19phiaibqfegq5col2bgan@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3193&group=alt.windows7.general#3193

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 15:48:31 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 21:48 UTC

On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 08:42:46 -0800, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 16:28:47 +0200, tumppiw wrote:
>>
>> Stan Brown kirjoitti 4.12.2021 klo 8.12:
>> > I have Acronis True Image 10 ...
>> >
>> > In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
>> > get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
>> > backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
>> > up to that .tib file. If I then double-click that disk icon, I get a
>> > regular Explorer view of the folders in the root directory. I do this
>> > when I want to restore an old version of a file, or compare it to the
>> > current version.
>> >
>> > But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
>> > doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
>> > in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. Device Manager has
>> > "Acronis Devices" » "Acronis Backup Archive Explorer", but the right-
>> > click menu and the Properties window don't contain anything useful.
>> >
>> > Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
>> > but surely there's an easier and faster way?
>> >

>> File Explorer: Right click on the Acronis "Disk" in the left (disk)
>> panel and remove (or something like that)
>
>The left panel just shows navigation as a folder tree. There is a
>disk icon in the right-hand panel, but right-clicking it doesn't give
>any option to dismount, remove, release, etc.

I haven't used Acronis in quite a few years, but I can tell you that
there is absolutely definitely 100% certainty that you can right click
something in Explorer to quickly unmount a mounted image. I used to do
it all the time, and I remember that it wasn't where I thought it should
be, but it's there.

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<MPG.3c15bc354118a1598fe4f@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3194&group=alt.windows7.general#3194

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 17:56:40 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 01:56 UTC

On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:55:35 -0500, Zaidy036 wrote:

> On 12/4/2021 1:12 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> > I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. ...
> >
> > In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
> > get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
> > backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
> > up to that .tib file. ...
> >
> > But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
> > doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
> > in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. ...
> >
> > Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
> > but surely there's an easier and faster way?
> >

> Did you try the just closing File Explorer and then reopening it?

That's a reasonable thing to ask. Yes, I did try it, but no joy.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<soh7le$don$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3195&group=alt.windows7.general#3195

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 21:20:31 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 02:20 UTC

On 12/4/2021 8:56 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:55:35 -0500, Zaidy036 wrote:
>>
>> On 12/4/2021 1:12 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
>>> I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. ...
>>>
>>> In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
>>> get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
>>> backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
>>> up to that .tib file. ...
>>>
>>> But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
>>> doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
>>> in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. ...
>>>
>>> Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
>>> but surely there's an easier and faster way?
>>>

>> Did you try the just closing File Explorer and then reopening it?
>
> That's a reasonable thing to ask. Yes, I did try it, but no joy.

Then go thru Acronis, like it was designed for, instead of File Explorer

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<XnsADF6BCB4E26F0nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3196&group=alt.windows7.general#3196

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 02:33:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 02:33 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in

> I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. Yes, it's ancient,
> but I have years' worth of backups made with Acronis that I don't
> want to lose access to. (My Windows 8.1 PC has Macrium Reflect.)
>
> In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
> get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
> backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
> up to that .tib file. If I then double-click that disk icon, I get a
> regular Explorer view of the folders in the root directory. I do this
> when I want to restore an old version of a file, or compare it to the
> current version.
>
> But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
> doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
> in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. Device Manager has
> "Acronis Devices"�� "Acronis Backup Archive Explorer", but the right-
> click menu and the Properties window don't contain anything useful.
>
> Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
> but surely there's an easier and faster way?

This may (or may not) help.

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2017-forum/opening-
tib-file-explorer-does-not-work

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<hjgoqg9q10a6keoivor45n38td9imkho4f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3197&group=alt.windows7.general#3197

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 22:42:28 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 04:42 UTC

On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 17:56:40 -0800, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:55:35 -0500, Zaidy036 wrote:
>>
>> On 12/4/2021 1:12 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
>> > I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. ...
>> >
>> > In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
>> > get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
>> > backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
>> > up to that .tib file. ...
>> >
>> > But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
>> > doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
>> > in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. ...
>> >
>> > Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
>> > but surely there's an easier and faster way?
>> >

>> Did you try the just closing File Explorer and then reopening it?
>
>That's a reasonable thing to ask. Yes, I did try it, but no joy.

I found a copy of Acronis TIH 2011 so I installed it in a Win 7 VM and
created a backup. That's not the TIH version that you have and things
are different. For example, with this version I can 'explore' a *.tib
file but it doesn't get mounted as a drive letter. Therefore, there's no
method to unmount it since it was never mounted in the first place.

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<soi2du$h1r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3198&group=alt.windows7.general#3198

From: tump...@gmail.com (tumppiw)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 11:57:16 +0200
 by: tumppiw - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 09:57 UTC

Stan Brown kirjoitti 4.12.2021 klo 18.42:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 16:28:47 +0200, tumppiw wrote:
>>
>> Stan Brown kirjoitti 4.12.2021 klo 8.12:
>>> I have Acronis True Image 10 ...
>>>
>>> In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
>>> get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
>>> backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
>>> up to that .tib file. If I then double-click that disk icon, I get a
>>> regular Explorer view of the folders in the root directory. I do this
>>> when I want to restore an old version of a file, or compare it to the
>>> current version.
>>>
>>> But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
>>> doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
>>> in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. Device Manager has
>>> "Acronis Devices" » "Acronis Backup Archive Explorer", but the right-
>>> click menu and the Properties window don't contain anything useful.
>>>
>>> Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
>>> but surely there's an easier and faster way?
>>>

>> File Explorer: Right click on the Acronis "Disk" in the left (disk)
>> panel and remove (or something like that)
>
> The left panel just shows navigation as a folder tree. There is a
> disk icon in the right-hand panel, but right-clicking it doesn't give
> any option to dismount, remove, release, etc.

In the folder tree you should see the mounted TI image as a disk. RClick
on that...

Thomas Wendell
Helsinki, Finland
Translation to/from FI/SWE not always accurate

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<soinbp$pvg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3199&group=alt.windows7.general#3199

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 10:54:32 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 15:54 UTC

On 12/4/2021 9:20 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
> On 12/4/2021 8:56 PM, Stan Brown wrote:

>>> Did you try the just closing File Explorer and then reopening it?
>>
>> That's a reasonable thing to ask. Yes, I did try it, but no joy.
>>
> Then go thru Acronis, like it was designed for, instead of File Explorer

I tested it and... ouch!

My OS is locked up right now, can't do anything :-)

The background image on the screen is black. The taskbar is
black. "Shut Down Windows" (Not Responding). Task Manager is
white and everything has disappeared except File Options View.

Alt-tab still works. I can move from window to window, but
everything on the desktop is in a "Not Responding" state.

There only seems to be "inside-the-application" for dismount.
I tried all the "usual places". One thing I notice, is in
Disk Management, the coloring is "ordinary". Some mounts
done this way, the disk square on the left of Disk Management
is a different color. But with Acronis there is no special color.

Trying to figure out what to do next :-/ The shift key still works.
Ctrl-alt-delete isn't working.

I expect something like DWM is wedged or deadlocked. But no application
will accept an invitation to quit.

Ah, Acronis. I would pay money for this software, because...
it is so "special".

Paul

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<MPG.3c16bcf7bdc1a85f98fd46@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3200&group=alt.windows7.general#3200

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 12:12:12 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 20:12 UTC

On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 10:54:32 -0500, Paul wrote:

> There only seems to be "inside-the-application" for dismount.
> I tried all the "usual places". One thing I notice, is in
> Disk Management, the coloring is "ordinary". Some mounts
> done this way, the disk square on the left of Disk Management
> is a different color. But with Acronis there is no special color.

Thanks, Paul. If you can't find a way to do what I want, then I feel
confident there _is_ no way. I will continue dismounting by logging
off and on, since it's much faster than mounting and dismounting
inside the Acronis application. (I didn't have the trouble you had
when I tested that, but True Image took minutes for a mount and
minutes for a dismount. It wouldn't recognize the mount that had been
done in File Explore, so I couldn't try dismounting it through True
Image.)

> Trying to figure out what to do next :-/ The shift key still works.
> Ctrl-alt-delete isn't working.

Thank goodness holding down the power button still works!

> I expect something like DWM is wedged or deadlocked. But no application
> will accept an invitation to quit.

DWM? Keska say?

> Ah, Acronis. I would pay money for this software, because...
> it is so "special".

Was there supposed to be a "not" in that sentence?

I had Acronis True Image Home 2006 or 2008. When I bought a new
computer in 2010, I sprang for True Image Home 2010, but it was a
disappointment. The user interface was much worse, and the program had
numerous quirks and a few outright bugs.

Maybe I should leave TI on my PC so that I can access those old
backups, but start using Macrium Reflect for all future backups. I
have a MR installer but have never installed it.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<5m7qqg5gv33h1bebt6au07tvjo6u7lbfo9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3201&group=alt.windows7.general#3201

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 14:23:33 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 20:23 UTC

On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 12:12:12 -0800, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 10:54:32 -0500, Paul wrote:
>>
>> There only seems to be "inside-the-application" for dismount.
>> I tried all the "usual places". One thing I notice, is in
>> Disk Management, the coloring is "ordinary". Some mounts
>> done this way, the disk square on the left of Disk Management
>> is a different color. But with Acronis there is no special color.
>
>Thanks, Paul. If you can't find a way to do what I want, then I feel
>confident there _is_ no way. I will continue dismounting by logging
>off and on, since it's much faster than mounting and dismounting
>inside the Acronis application. (I didn't have the trouble you had
>when I tested that, but True Image took minutes for a mount and
>minutes for a dismount. It wouldn't recognize the mount that had been
>done in File Explore, so I couldn't try dismounting it through True
>Image.)

In your first post you mentioned TIH 10, and below you mentioned TIH
2010. I don't know if those two are the same thing, but I tested with
2011 and you can't dismount a *.tib image in that verson because it
never gets mounted. IOW, Acronis lets you 'explore' a backup volume
without mounting it. To stop exploring it you just hit the X in the
upper right corner and go do something else.

I have access to TIH 2010 and TIH 2012 but I sort of think they might be
the same. You can't dismount something that was never mounted.

<snip>

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<sojb32$bdu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3202&group=alt.windows7.general#3202

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 16:31:13 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 21:31 UTC

On 12/5/2021 3:23 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 12:12:12 -0800, Stan Brown
> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 10:54:32 -0500, Paul wrote:
>>>
>>> There only seems to be "inside-the-application" for dismount.
>>> I tried all the "usual places". One thing I notice, is in
>>> Disk Management, the coloring is "ordinary". Some mounts
>>> done this way, the disk square on the left of Disk Management
>>> is a different color. But with Acronis there is no special color.
>>
>> Thanks, Paul. If you can't find a way to do what I want, then I feel
>> confident there _is_ no way. I will continue dismounting by logging
>> off and on, since it's much faster than mounting and dismounting
>> inside the Acronis application. (I didn't have the trouble you had
>> when I tested that, but True Image took minutes for a mount and
>> minutes for a dismount. It wouldn't recognize the mount that had been
>> done in File Explore, so I couldn't try dismounting it through True
>> Image.)
>
> In your first post you mentioned TIH 10, and below you mentioned TIH
> 2010. I don't know if those two are the same thing, but I tested with
> 2011 and you can't dismount a *.tib image in that verson because it
> never gets mounted. IOW, Acronis lets you 'explore' a backup volume
> without mounting it. To stop exploring it you just hit the X in the
> upper right corner and go do something else.
>
> I have access to TIH 2010 and TIH 2012 but I sort of think they might be
> the same. You can't dismount something that was never mounted.
>
> <snip>

Here is a picture.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/bYV3tBsg/Acronis-TIH-aka-Disc-Wizard.gif

I didn't lose my log, which was stored on
the other machine as I worked.

Paul

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<sojg8t$ifl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3203&group=alt.windows7.general#3203

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 17:59:41 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 22:59 UTC

On 12/4/2021 1:12 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. Yes, it's ancient,
> but I have years' worth of backups made with Acronis that I don't
> want to lose access to. (My Windows 8.1 PC has Macrium Reflect.)
>
> In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
> get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
> backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
> up to that .tib file. If I then double-click that disk icon, I get a
> regular Explorer view of the folders in the root directory. I do this
> when I want to restore an old version of a file, or compare it to the
> current version.
>
> But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
> doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
> in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. Device Manager has
> "Acronis Devices" » "Acronis Backup Archive Explorer", but the right-
> click menu and the Properties window don't contain anything useful.
>
> Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
> but surely there's an easier and faster way?

I am using Acronis 2020 on Win 10 Pro. FYI now files are .tibx and
include sequential updates within the same file as a new full image..

I opened one image in File Explorer and it asked for p/w and displayed
and downloaded a text file from the image. I then looked at one of my HD
partitions and returned to the image file and it again asked for the
p/w. Therefore, if it was "mounted", in my opinion, it no longer is.

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<jtrqqg1j88327f57101bep990go875qoea@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3204&group=alt.windows7.general#3204

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 20:22:14 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 02:22 UTC

On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 16:31:13 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 12/5/2021 3:23 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
>> On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 12:12:12 -0800, Stan Brown
>> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> Thanks, Paul. If you can't find a way to do what I want, then I feel
>>> confident there _is_ no way. I will continue dismounting by logging
>>> off and on, since it's much faster than mounting and dismounting
>>> inside the Acronis application. (I didn't have the trouble you had
>>> when I tested that, but True Image took minutes for a mount and
>>> minutes for a dismount. It wouldn't recognize the mount that had been
>>> done in File Explore, so I couldn't try dismounting it through True
>>> Image.)
>>
>> In your first post you mentioned TIH 10, and below you mentioned TIH
>> 2010. I don't know if those two are the same thing, but I tested with
>> 2011 and you can't dismount a *.tib image in that verson because it
>> never gets mounted. IOW, Acronis lets you 'explore' a backup volume
>> without mounting it. To stop exploring it you just hit the X in the
>> upper right corner and go do something else.
>>
>> I have access to TIH 2010 and TIH 2012 but I sort of think they might be
>> the same. You can't dismount something that was never mounted.
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>Here is a picture.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/bYV3tBsg/Acronis-TIH-aka-Disc-Wizard.gif
>
>I didn't lose my log, which was stored on
>the other machine as I worked.

I see that your program is "Powered by Acronis" but the GUI has almost
nothing in common with my TIH 2011 so I'm guessing they're more
different than alike, at least as far as the GUI goes.

I don't see anything here related to mounting an image, and indeed it's
not necessary. This version just lets you open an image and explore it
without mounting it.

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<sokkea$kob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3206&group=alt.windows7.general#3206

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 04:16:57 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 09:16 UTC

On 12/5/2021 9:22 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 16:31:13 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 12/5/2021 3:23 PM, Char Jackson wrote:

>>> In your first post you mentioned TIH 10, and below you mentioned TIH
>>> 2010. I don't know if those two are the same thing, but I tested with
>>> 2011 and you can't dismount a *.tib image in that verson because it
>>> never gets mounted. IOW, Acronis lets you 'explore' a backup volume
>>> without mounting it. To stop exploring it you just hit the X in the
>>> upper right corner and go do something else.
>>>
>>> I have access to TIH 2010 and TIH 2012 but I sort of think they might be
>>> the same. You can't dismount something that was never mounted.
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>

>> Here is a picture.
>>
>> [Picture]
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/bYV3tBsg/Acronis-TIH-aka-Disc-Wizard.gif
>>
>> I didn't lose my log, which was stored on
>> the other machine as I worked.
>
> I see that your program is "Powered by Acronis" but the GUI has almost
> nothing in common with my TIH 2011 so I'm guessing they're more
> different than alike, at least as far as the GUI goes.
>
> I don't see anything here related to mounting an image, and indeed it's
> not necessary. This version just lets you open an image and explore it
> without mounting it.

There are two concepts.

When Ghost first did this (before Acronis or anyone else), it
was an exploration tool.

When another company does it, it might typically start (first
cut software), as an exploration tool. But they can also
do it as a mount, if the information is suitably transformed.

Look at 7ZIP interface, as an example of explorer-like integration.
You can traverse structures in archives, and the software uses
multiple streams, to chain all the decoding methods together
and expose folders and files. It isn't exposed to the point
of supporting Drag and Drop, but considering the amount of
work that's already gone into it, it would be relatively
trivial to support such (instead of clicking Extract, a
drag and drop gesture could be used to trigger an Extract
instead).

I don't know the mechanics of exactly how you do a transformation
from a private structure (like, say, a TAR file), to a file
tree suited to the mounting notion. There must be a standard
set of calls your software has to field, so that Microsoft
File Explorer can traverse your private structure and make
it look (to the user), like it is fully integrated.

The Acronis mount in this case, is not a "Device True" mount.

The original disk looked like this.

+-----+-------------+-------------------------------------+--------------+
| MBR | unallocated | Partition Table Entry #3 WIN10AMD | unallocated |
+-----+-------------+-------------------------------------+--------------+

When mounted from the single TIB file, Acronis draws it like this in Disk Management.

+-----+-------------------------------------+ (I did not check the partition
| MBR | WIN10AMD | number to see if it is listed as
+-----+-------------------------------------+ partition 1 or as partition 3)

A bit of poetic license was used in this case, by Acronis. Yes, it
shows up in Disk Management, well enough so all the Disk Management
functions don't crash. When some other individuals write this
sort of code, the projection looks exactly the same as the original,
to the point you could "dd" transfer all the sectors if you wanted.

If I'd run into publicly available sample code for doing this,
I'd have a better idea what the table stakes for doing it are.

Paul

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<soknqb$b96$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3207&group=alt.windows7.general#3207

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 05:14:33 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 10:14 UTC

On 12/5/2021 5:59 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
> On 12/4/2021 1:12 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
>> I have Acronis True Image 10 on my Windows 7 PC. Yes, it's ancient,
>> but I have years' worth of backups made with Acronis that I don't
>> want to lose access to. (My Windows 8.1 PC has Macrium Reflect.)
>>
>> In File Explorer, if I double-click a .tib file created by Acronis, I
>> get prompted for the password and then the top level folder of the
>> backup opens, with a disk icon for the disk letter that I had backed
>> up to that .tib file. If I then double-click that disk icon, I get a
>> regular Explorer view of the folders in the root directory. I do this
>> when I want to restore an old version of a file, or compare it to the
>> current version.
>>
>> But how do I dismount that image when I've finished with it? It
>> doesn't have a drive letter in File Explorer, and it doesn't show up
>> in diskmgmt.msc in any way that I can see. Device Manager has
>> "Acronis Devices" » "Acronis Backup Archive Explorer", but the right-
>> click menu and the Properties window don't contain anything useful.
>>
>> Logging off and on again (without a reboot) does dismount the image,
>> but surely there's an easier and faster way?
>>
> I am using Acronis 2020 on Win 10 Pro. FYI now files are .tibx and
> include sequential updates within the same file as a new full image..
>
> I opened one image in File Explorer and it asked for p/w and displayed
> and downloaded a text file from the image. I then looked at one of my
> HD partitions and returned to the image file and it again asked for > the p/w. Therefore, if it was "mounted", in my opinion, it no longer is.

I don't know what Microsoft uses for terminology, for their stuff.

If we knew that, we could have better arguments about it.

To me, the informal term "mounted", means:

1) Integrated to expose things at a volume level.
Like making a volume visible in File Explorer in a persistent manner.
The icon should be there. I should be able to open it at
any time, barring the usage of some control ("Safely Remove") to
remove my access.

2) Integration to expose things at the device sector level.
A thing appearing in Disk Management, should support "dd" semantics for example.
Using "disk2vhd" for example, I should be able to take something which
is in the "Online" state in Disk Management, and make an exact sector
level copy of it. I could, fire up Macrium, mount a disk backup, then use
Disk2VHD and make a VHD exact copy of the volume. (That's the bodged equivalent
of Macrium utility IMG2VHD.exe).

You would not generally start pestering people for passwords, in
cases where the pretense was that the content was persistent. It's
possible to attach a VHD over the network, in which case the
connection could be lost in the middle of the usage of the
VHD by "attaching" it in Disk Management (in W8/8.1/W10).
I use the word "attach" because that's the word used in the
Disk Management interface. But notice Ben Armstrong (formerly of
Connectix) made the VHDmount utility for the benefit of WinXP users.
Which means as far as he was concerned at the time, the term
was mounting. (And it's mounting, because the mount point in
that case "had to be NTFS").

WinXP - support VHD attach using Ben Armstrong [MSFT] VHDmount.exe (C: must be NTFS)
Win7 - attach VHD
Win8/8.1 - attach VHD, mount ISO files as a virtual DVD drive, VHDX unsure.
W10/W11 - attach VHD, mount ISO, attach VHDX if some HyperV feature installed.

Macrium and Acronis (the one I tested), are not exactly "attaching",
since the material is translated from the native container (MRIMG, TIB)
into a format which is mountable. There isn't a VHD file sitting there,
which can just be given to Windows and used willy-nilly with no
Macrium/Acronis software running. Presumably there is an API, like
"gimme sector 23", and then the software translates that and gives it
to the Microsoft stack.

Windows has the SCSI stack (CDB control and data block interface),
for dealing with foreign physical devices. And if a person wanted,
they could completely fake a storage device by installing a trusted
signed driver into the OS, with SCSI interface on top. Microsoft also
has this as IFS (Installable File System), which is how the early
EXT2IFS was able to add EXT support to Windows. That amounts in part,
to integration with File Explorer (but not Disk Management). That's
a volume integration feature. Windows IFS, is equivalent to
Linux FUSE (Ring 3) file system mounting. Dokany is an example
of yet another way to make foreign file systems available
(I hardly ever run into this in discussion threads now).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installable_File_System

... main article IFS

Dokany - an MIT-licensed framework for filesystems in Windows userspace
that uses a separate kernel driver, with available .NET bindings

But if we don't have nice neat labels for everything in the
diagram, it makes having productive arguments difficult.

The same goes for Win11. No documentation ? No productive discussion.
Like, is there an AMD nested VM feature in there which is not finished ?
When will it be finished ? How will I know ?

Paul

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<js5sqgl0e23j9bovnspk3u1dp8vu34dn5d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3208&group=alt.windows7.general#3208

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 08:07:42 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 14:07 UTC

On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 04:16:57 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 12/5/2021 9:22 PM, Char Jackson wrote:

>>> Here is a picture.
>>>
>>> [Picture]
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/bYV3tBsg/Acronis-TIH-aka-Disc-Wizard.gif
>>>
>>> I didn't lose my log, which was stored on
>>> the other machine as I worked.
>>
>> I see that your program is "Powered by Acronis" but the GUI has almost
>> nothing in common with my TIH 2011 so I'm guessing they're more
>> different than alike, at least as far as the GUI goes.
>>
>> I don't see anything here related to mounting an image, and indeed it's
>> not necessary. This version just lets you open an image and explore it
>> without mounting it.
>>

>There are two concepts.
>
>When Ghost first did this (before Acronis or anyone else), it
>was an exploration tool.
>
>When another company does it, it might typically start (first
>cut software), as an exploration tool. But they can also
>do it as a mount, if the information is suitably transformed.
>
>Look at 7ZIP interface, as an example of explorer-like integration.
>You can traverse structures in archives, and the software uses
>multiple streams, to chain all the decoding methods together
>and expose folders and files. It isn't exposed to the point
>of supporting Drag and Drop, but considering the amount of
>work that's already gone into it, it would be relatively
>trivial to support such (instead of clicking Extract, a
>drag and drop gesture could be used to trigger an Extract
>instead).
>
>I don't know the mechanics of exactly how you do a transformation
>from a private structure (like, say, a TAR file), to a file
>tree suited to the mounting notion. There must be a standard
>set of calls your software has to field, so that Microsoft
>File Explorer can traverse your private structure and make
>it look (to the user), like it is fully integrated.
>
>The Acronis mount in this case, is not a "Device True" mount.
>
>The original disk looked like this.
>
>+-----+-------------+-------------------------------------+--------------+
>| MBR | unallocated | Partition Table Entry #3 WIN10AMD | unallocated |
>+-----+-------------+-------------------------------------+--------------+
>
>When mounted from the single TIB file, Acronis draws it like this in Disk Management.
>
>+-----+-------------------------------------+ (I did not check the partition
>| MBR | WIN10AMD | number to see if it is listed as
>+-----+-------------------------------------+ partition 1 or as partition 3)
>
>A bit of poetic license was used in this case, by Acronis. Yes, it
>shows up in Disk Management, well enough so all the Disk Management
>functions don't crash. When some other individuals write this
>sort of code, the projection looks exactly the same as the original,
>to the point you could "dd" transfer all the sectors if you wanted.
>
>If I'd run into publicly available sample code for doing this,
>I'd have a better idea what the table stakes for doing it are.

I'm a bit surprised to see such big differences but I suppose I picked
the wrong version of Acronis TIH to test. On TIH 2011, there is no
mounting at all, no pseudo mounting, nothing like that. Disk Management
has no entry related to the .tib file being explored. As I said, to stop
exploring it, you simply close Windows Explorer or click somewhere else
to start exploring another part of your filesystem.

I only have TIH 2010, 2011, and 2012, so someone with later versions
would have to tell us when Acronis started mounting their images in
order to allow exploring.