You see but you do not observe. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, in "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes"

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

SubjectAuthor
* How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
+* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Paul
|`- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
+* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?DanS
|+- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Ken Blake
|+- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
|`- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?J. P. Gilliver (John)
+* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?tumppiw
|`* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
| +- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Char Jackson
| `- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?tumppiw
+* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Zaidy036
|`* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
| +* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Zaidy036
| |`* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Paul
| | `* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
| |  `* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Char Jackson
| |   +* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Paul
| |   |`* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Char Jackson
| |   | +* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Paul
| |   | |+* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Char Jackson
| |   | ||`- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
| |   | |`* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| |   | | `- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Paul
| |   | `- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
| |   `- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Stan Brown
| `- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Char Jackson
+- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Boris
`* Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Zaidy036
 `- Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?Paul

Pages:12
Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<o8Jqo4rknhrhFwQO@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3209&group=alt.windows7.general#3209

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 14:10:44 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 14:10 UTC

On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 at 04:16:57, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my
[]
>Look at 7ZIP interface, as an example of explorer-like integration.
>You can traverse structures in archives, and the software uses
>multiple streams, to chain all the decoding methods together
>and expose folders and files. It isn't exposed to the point
>of supporting Drag and Drop, but considering the amount of
>work that's already gone into it, it would be relatively
>trivial to support such (instead of clicking Extract, a
>drag and drop gesture could be used to trigger an Extract
>instead).
[]
Or the .zip interface - which Microsoft included (arguably excessively
so) into Explorer very transparently, from XP on (not sure about 2000) -
at least outwards, not sure about inwards (you _can_ "drag" a "file" out
of a .zip file, not sure if you can _in_, though I think you can). You
can even "run" an executable (Explorer obviously only extracts the
single file, because it warns you that running the file may rely on
other files in the "folder" that it isn't extracting).

"I'm a paranoid agnostic. I doubt the existence of God, but I'm sure there is
some force, somewhere, working against me." - Marc Maron

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<solooj$ah$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3212&group=alt.windows7.general#3212

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 14:36:46 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 19:36 UTC

On 12/6/2021 9:10 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 at 04:16:57, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
> []
>> Look at 7ZIP interface, as an example of explorer-like integration.
>> You can traverse structures in archives, and the software uses
>> multiple streams, to chain all the decoding methods together
>> and expose folders and files. It isn't exposed to the point
>> of supporting Drag and Drop, but considering the amount of
>> work that's already gone into it, it would be relatively
>> trivial to support such (instead of clicking Extract, a
>> drag and drop gesture could be used to trigger an Extract
>> instead).
> []
> Or the .zip interface - which Microsoft included (arguably excessively so) into Explorer very transparently, from XP on (not sure about 2000) - at least outwards, not sure about inwards (you _can_ "drag" a "file" out of a .zip file, not sure if you can _in_, though I think you can). You can even "run" an executable (Explorer obviously only extracts the single file, because it warns you that running the file may rely on other files in the "folder" that it isn't extracting).

Windows has a couple DLLs which handle "peering inside CAB
and WinZIP files". This can be used, during a search.

On Windows XP, you could do this, to stop Windows from
snooping inside ZIP and CAB. This unregisters the DLLs
so they're no longer used.

regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll
regsvr32 /u cabview.dll

The strange part was, Windows XP would then re-register
those files on its own. So it was a constant battle of wits
to keep that shut off.

Paul

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<MPG.3c19097460d3693698fd48@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3216&group=alt.windows7.general#3216

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 06:03:04 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 14:03 UTC

On Sun, 05 Dec 2021 14:23:33 -0600, Char Jackson wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 12:12:12 -0800, Stan Brown
> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 10:54:32 -0500, Paul wrote:
> >>
> >> There only seems to be "inside-the-application" for dismount.
> >> I tried all the "usual places". One thing I notice, is in
> >> Disk Management, the coloring is "ordinary". Some mounts
> >> done this way, the disk square on the left of Disk Management
> >> is a different color. But with Acronis there is no special color.
> >
> >Thanks, Paul. If you can't find a way to do what I want, then I feel
> >confident there _is_ no way. I will continue dismounting by logging
> >off and on, since it's much faster than mounting and dismounting
> >inside the Acronis application. (I didn't have the trouble you had
> >when I tested that, but True Image took minutes for a mount and
> >minutes for a dismount. It wouldn't recognize the mount that had been
> >done in File Explore, so I couldn't try dismounting it through True
> >Image.)
>
> In your first post you mentioned TIH 10, and below you mentioned TIH
> 2010. I don't know if those two are the same thing,

Sorry for the confusion. I had a "thinko" in my first post, and should
have written 2010.

> but I tested with
> 2011 and you can't dismount a *.tib image in that verson because it
> never gets mounted. IOW, Acronis lets you 'explore' a backup volume
> without mounting it. To stop exploring it you just hit the X in the
> upper right corner and go do something else.
>
> I have access to TIH 2010 and TIH 2012 but I sort of think they might be
> the same. You can't dismount something that was never mounted.

I think you have hit on the explanation, Char. I had thought that the
image was mounted without a drive letter, but your explanation that it
was never mounted, only "explored", makes sense. That may be what the
mystery "Acronis Backup Archive Explorer" in Device Manager is doing.
(I suppose I could test that by disabling it, but I didn't think of it
at the time.)

In a quick test just now, I opened a .tib file, entered my password,
did a little exploring, then used Task Manager to kill explorer.exe. I
and was able to open the backup image without a password prompt. So
whatever it is that "explores" a backup image, it's not Windows
explorer.exe.

Then I logged off and on again -- not a reboot, just "Log Off" and
logged back in as the same user. I navigated back to the .tib file and
double-clicked it, and got the password prompt again.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<MPG.3c190a7b60b7eae198fd49@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3217&group=alt.windows7.general#3217

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 06:07:25 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 14:07 UTC

On Sun, 05 Dec 2021 20:22:14 -0600, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 16:31:13 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
> > [quoted text muted]
> > https://i.postimg.cc/bYV3tBsg/Acronis-TIH-aka-Disc-Wizard.gif
> >
> >I didn't lose my log, which was stored on
> >the other machine as I worked.
>
> I see that your program is "Powered by Acronis" but the GUI has almost
> nothing in common with my TIH 2011 so I'm guessing they're more
> different than alike, at least as far as the GUI goes.

It's been years, but Paul's interface looks a lot more like the older
version of True Image that I installed in Windows XP, before I got the
Windows 7 PC and installed TI 2010.

Maybe Seagate had some deal with Acronis to bundle TI with its hard
drives. I know that Western Digital put backup software on one or two
of the portable drives where I store backups, but I never installed
it.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: How to unmount an Acronis backup image?

<MPG.3c190b4f909960f498fd4a@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3218&group=alt.windows7.general#3218

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 06:10:59 -0800
References: <MPG.3c14a6be6f647aed98fe4b@news.individual.net> <sog6i6$m5e$1@dont-email.me> <MPG.3c15bc354118a1598fe4f@news.individual.net> <soh7le$don$1@dont-email.me> <soinbp$pvg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <MPG.3c16bcf7bdc1a85f98fd46@news.individual.net> <5m7qqg5gv33h1bebt6au07tvjo6u7lbfo9@4ax.com> <sojb32$bdu$1@gioia.aioe.org> <jtrqqg1j88327f57101bep990go875qoea@4ax.com> <sokkea$kob$1@dont-email.me> <js5sqgl0e23j9bovnspk3u1dp8vu34dn5d@4ax.com>
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 14:10 UTC

On Mon, 06 Dec 2021 08:07:42 -0600, Char Jackson wrote:
> I'm a bit surprised to see such big differences but I suppose I picked
> the wrong version of Acronis TIH to test. On TIH 2011, there is no
> mounting at all, no pseudo mounting, nothing like that. Disk Management
> has no entry related to the .tib file being explored. As I said, to stop
> exploring it, you simply close Windows Explorer or click somewhere else
> to start exploring another part of your filesystem.

Yes, that's how my TIH 2010 works, except that the .tib file is held
open -- whatever does the "exploring" inside the backup image does not
ask for that .tib file's password again, even if explorer.exe is
killed in Task Manager and then reopened.