Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.

computers / comp.sys.mac.apps / Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

SubjectAuthor
* How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?Ant
+- Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?Ant
+* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?Bob Campbell
> [...]
|    |    +- Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightLewis
|    |    `- Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightDr Eberhard W Lisse
|    `* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?Ant
|     +* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightLewis
|     |+- Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?Ant
|     |`* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?super70s
|     | `* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightLewis
|     |  `- Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?super70s
|     `- Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?Ant
+- Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?super70s
`* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightJ Burns
 `* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightAlan Baker
  `* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightJ Burns
   `* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightJolly Roger
    `* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightJ Burns
     +- Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?Snit
     `* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightJolly Roger
      +* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightLewis
      |`* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?nospam
      | `* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightLewis
      |  `- Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightJolly Roger
      `* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightJ Burns
       `* Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightJolly Roger
        `- Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's SpotlightJ Burns

Pages:123
Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<ikai5uFajlrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=323&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#323

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 09:33:15 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 07:33 UTC

One idiots's free speech is another's crimen injuria.

el

On 2021-07-02 17:12 , nospam wrote:
> In article <ik8lofFu4fnU1@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard Lisse
> <nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:
>
>> In most cultures the word idiot is frowned upon in conversation.
>
> not when the word is appropriate and accurately describes someone, such
> as when a person intentionally, deliberately and blatantly violates
> usenet posting etiquette by top posting, especially after repeatedly
> being told to not do that in numerous threads.

[...] Q/A intentionally deleted.

>> el
>>
>> On 02/07/2021 13:37, nospam wrote:

>>> he didn't insult anyone. what he said is an accurate description,
>>> assuming the post is not trollbait.

>>> no.
>>>
>>> and don't top post.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<ikaii8FalpoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=324&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#324

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 09:39:50 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 07:39 UTC

And yet you still are unable to follow through on your announce having
plunked me and yet you can't resist being trolled. Other than that,
what overweight script kiddies living in their parents' basements do
don't concern me much.

The only thing I search in is my mail archive (in a MySQL Data base)
going back 1o 1999 (I lost the 20 years before that).

For Spotlight I turned off everything by Applications in the
Preferences because the SOftware Update depends on it, but I haven't
had the need for Spotlight search of files ever.

I use find on the command line with its options which existed before
MacOS and will probably survive it.

el

On 2021-07-02 18:48 , Lewis wrote:
> In message <ik8lofFu4fnU1@mid.individual.net> Dr Eberhard Lisse <nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:
>> In most cultures the word idiot is frowned upon in conversation.
>
> And yet, it is also an accurate description of someone who claims to
> have "never used search ever" or the other option, your use of a
> computer is trivial.
>
> I know someone who has never used search on her computer either. She
> is an accountant. She runs two programs on her computer, and only
> two. Google Chrome and her accounting software (whatever Peachtree
> became when it was Borged). She has no need of search because the
> only data on her computer is the accounting files. (Literally the
> only data, no music, photos, videos, documents, nothing).
>
> Your insistence on top-posting lends credence to the 'idiot'
> possibility.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<ikaijrFalpoU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=325&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#325

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 09:40:42 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 07:40 UTC

Yes you binned and plunked me and yet you can't resist.

el

On 2021-07-03 03:43 , Lewis wrote:
> In message <020720211314417195%nospam@nospam.invalid> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> In article <slrnsdugq1.qb9.g.kreme@m1mini.local>, Lewis
>> <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:

>>> And yet, it is also an accurate description of someone who claims to
>>> have "never used search ever" or the other option, your use of a
>>> computer is trivial.
>
>> yep
>
>>> I know someone who has never used search on her computer either. She is
>>> an accountant. She runs two programs on her computer, and only two.
>>> Google Chrome and her accounting software (whatever Peachtree became
>>> when it was Borged). She has no need of search because the only data on
>>> her computer is the accounting files. (Literally the only data, no
>>> music, photos, videos, documents, nothing).
>
>> she might not need to search for photos or whatever on her computer,
>> but certainly she must have searched for stuff online using a search
>> engine in chrome and likely searched for specific transactions or
>> client data in the accounting software.
>
> I was thinking of the ;search; comparable to spotlight.
>
>>> Your insistence on top-posting lends credence to the 'idiot'
>>> possibility.
>
>> it guarantees it.
>
> Yeah, I binned the idiot.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<ikaj5sFapbsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=326&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#326

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 09:50:18 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 07:50 UTC

I find files like so:

find ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Managed/Bundles \
-depth 1 -name '*.tmbundle' \
-exec bash -c '
tput bold;
echo -n "$(defaults read "{}/info.plist" name): ";
tput sgr0;
echo $(if cd "{}/Syntaxes" 2>/dev/null;
then
for syntax in *.plist *.tmLanguage;
do
if [ -f "${syntax}" ];
then
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c \
"Print :scopeName" "${syntax}" \
2>/dev/null \
| grep -v "[\{\}]";
fi;
done;
fi)' \; \
| sort -f

or

find $HOME -not \( -path $HOME/Library -prune \) \
-not \( -path $HOME/Downloads -prune \) \
-not \( -path $HOME/.cpan -prune \) \
-name '*.pl' \
-type f \
-exec grep ^use {} ';' \
|awk '{print $2}' \
|sed 's/;//g' \
|sort -u \
|grep -v \
-e '#' -e '5.' -e 'v5.10' \
-e ^and \
-e ^Apache \
-e ^base \
-e ^bytes \
-e ^constant \
-e ^experimental \
-e ^feature \
-e ^fields \
-e ^hasn \
-e ^lib \
-e ^open \
-e ^routines. \
-e ^strict \
-e ^subs \
-e ^sysread \
-e ^use \
-e ^vars \
-e ^version \
-e ^warnings \
-e ^when

for example.

I find that having a very hierarchical $HOME directory and forcing
oneself to be consistent in where one puts what, obliviates the need
for large scale file shifting.

I have no objections to Spotlight per se, but I haven't needed it
either.

el

On 2021-07-02 14:46 , Wolffan wrote:
> On 2021 Jul 01, Bob Campbell wrote
> (in article<G9OdnRZ_ovU-FUP9nZ2dnUU7-fnNnZ2d@supernews.com>):
>
>> On 7/1/21 9:08 PM, Ant wrote:
>>> It seems I have to do it monthly
>>> (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) since it is not finding all
>>> matched Office documents in Documents folder. This never happened in
>>> older versions like Mojave v10.14. :(
>>
>> Never. I have never used search ever, on Mac or on Windows. In over
>> 30 years of using computers - at home and at work - I have never needed
>> to search for anything.
>
> Interesting. I have a 2 TB HDD and a 1 TB SSD internally on this machine, and
> have access to over 40 TB of storage, by USB, in a NAS, and in network
> connections to other computers, Mac, Windows, and Linux. Finding files in all
> that would be non-trivial without using search. So... how _do_ you find
> files? How much storage is on your machine(s)? How much time do you spend
> moving around files and folders? What is your objection to using search?

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<0001HW.269094170C3BF5407000099F038F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=327&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#327

Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 08:48:23 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Subject: Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software, comp.sys.mac.systems, comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.apps
 by: Wolffan - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 12:48 UTC

On 2021 Jul 03, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote
(in article <ikahsbFahfgU3@mid.individual.net>):

> Who's Ebie?

that’d be you, Ebie.

Your continual top-posting is one of the marks of the more idiotic trolls.
Your inability to make interesting posts is another. Keep it up and you’ll
be killfiled.

> el
>
> On 2021-07-02 20:18 , Wolffan wrote:
> > On 2021 Jul 02, Lewis wrote
> > (in article <slrnsdugsf.qb9.g.kreme@m1mini.local>):

> > > You are a troll shit and I claim my £5.
> >
> > oh, there’s no doubt but that Ebie is a troll.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<0001HW.2690943C0C3BFDF07000099F038F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=328&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#328

Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 08:49:00 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software, comp.sys.mac.systems, comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.apps
 by: Wolffan - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 12:49 UTC

On 2021 Jul 03, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote
(in article <ikahrcFahfgU2@mid.individual.net>):

> I was expecting you to come in with your usual unhelpful comments in
> fecal language.

yep, you’re a troll.

> On 2021-07-02 18:49 , Lewis wrote:
> > In message<ik8631Fr6jvU1@mid.individual.net> Dr Eberhard Lisse
> > <nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:
> > > Ah, insecurity it is.
> >
> > You are a troll shit and I claim my £5.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<0001HW.269094CC0C3C1F9D7000099F038F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=329&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#329

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.swapon.de!news.dns-netz.com!news.freedyn.net!news.uzoreto.com!fdc2.netnews.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc3.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.supernews.com!news.supernews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 08:51:24 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software, comp.sys.mac.systems, comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.apps
 by: Wolffan - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 12:51 UTC

On 2021 Jul 03, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote
(in article <ikaj5sFapbsU1@mid.individual.net>):

> I find files like so:
>
> find ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Managed/Bundles \
> -depth 1 -name '*.tmbundle' \
> -exec bash -c '
> tput bold;
> echo -n "$(defaults read "{}/info.plist" name): ";
> tput sgr0;
> echo $(if cd "{}/Syntaxes" 2>/dev/null;
> then
> for syntax in *.plist *.tmLanguage;
> do
> if [ -f "${syntax}" ];
> then
> /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c \
> "Print :scopeName" "${syntax}" \
> 2>/dev/null \
> > grep -v "[\{\}]";
> fi;
> done;
> fi)' \; \
> > sort -f
>
> or
>
> find $HOME -not \( -path $HOME/Library -prune \) \
> -not \( -path $HOME/Downloads -prune \) \
> -not \( -path $HOME/.cpan -prune \) \
> -name '*.pl' \
> -type f \
> -exec grep ^use {} ';' \
> > awk '{print $2}' \
> > sed 's/;//g' \
> > sort -u \
> > grep -v \
> -e '#' -e '5.' -e 'v5.10' \
> -e ^and \
> -e ^Apache \
> -e ^base \
> -e ^bytes \
> -e ^constant \
> -e ^experimental \
> -e ^feature \
> -e ^fields \
> -e ^hasn \
> -e ^lib \
> -e ^open \
> -e ^routines. \
> -e ^strict \
> -e ^subs \
> -e ^sysread \
> -e ^use \
> -e ^vars \
> -e ^version \
> -e ^warnings \
> -e ^when
>
> for example.
>
> I find that having a very hierarchical $HOME directory and forcing
> oneself to be consistent in where one puts what, obliviates the need
> for large scale file shifting.
>
> I have no objections to Spotlight per se, but I haven't needed it
> either.
>
> el

going to a lot of trouble writing scripts vs just using the built in search
feature... decisions, decisions.

giving a damn about a troll’s opinions... hmm, nope.

Say bye, Ebie. You’re about to be plonked.

> On 2021-07-02 14:46 , Wolffan wrote:
> > On 2021 Jul 01, Bob Campbell wrote
> > (in article<G9OdnRZ_ovU-FUP9nZ2dnUU7-fnNnZ2d@supernews.com>):

> > > Never. I have never used search ever, on Mac or on Windows. In over
> > > 30 years of using computers - at home and at work - I have never needed
> > > to search for anything.
> >
> > Interesting. I have a 2 TB HDD and a 1 TB SSD internally on this machine,
> > and
> > have access to over 40 TB of storage, by USB, in a NAS, and in network
> > connections to other computers, Mac, Windows, and Linux. Finding files in
> > all
> > that would be non-trivial without using search. So... how _do_ you find
> > files? How much storage is on your machine(s)? How much time do you spend
> > moving around files and folders? What is your objection to using search?

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<0001HW.269097290C3CAD7E7000099F038F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=330&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#330

Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 09:01:29 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software, comp.sys.mac.systems, comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.apps
 by: Wolffan - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 13:01 UTC

On 2021 Jul 02, Ant wrote
(in article<bZGdnUE8CMjNDkL9nZ2dnUU7-I9j4p2d@earthlink.com>):

> In comp.sys.mac.apps Wolffan<akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
> > On 2021 Jul 01, Ant wrote
> > (in article<XeGdnWshZZWW-kP9nZ2dnUU7-QNQAAAA@earthlink.com>):
>
> > > It seems I have to do it monthly
> > > (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) since it is not finding all
> > > matched Office documents in Documents folder. This never happened in
> > > older versions like Mojave v10.14. :(
> > >
> > > Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
>
> > I???ve never manually rebuilt the Spotlight index in Big Sur. I last rebuilt
> > the Spotlight index manually five or six years ago. Doing an update install
> > usually rebuilds the Spotlight index automatically on reboot. There is
> > usually no reason to rebuild the index after that.
>
> > Why do you think that you need to rebuild the index? Are you having problems
> > with a search?
>
> Yes, it doesn't see all the thousands of Office files in ~/Documents.
> Rebuilding Spotlight fixes it temporarily. :(

Ah...

1 stick files in subdirectories, not all in one directory.

2 check your system; Spotlight isn’t supposed to lose files unless
there’s a directory problem. Run Disk Utility.

3 create a _full_ backup, using Time Machine or a utility like Carbon Copy
Cloner, or, preferably, _two_ backups, one with Time Machine and one with CCC
or whatever. Compare the backups. If there are differences, you have
significant directory damage. Nuke the volume, do a full restore, using both
backups. You almost certainly have low-level problems on that volume, doing a
full backup (two backups, and check to see if there are differences) a
reformat and restore should fix it. Unless there’s a hardware problem, and
you need a new drive.

Having to rebuild the Spotlight index all the time is not normal. It’s a
sign that your volume has a problem. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<ikbe1pFfph2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=331&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#331

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: 3 Jul 2021 15:28:57 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 15:28 UTC

On 2021-07-03, Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
> On 2021 Jul 02, Ant wrote
> (in article<bZGdnUE8CMjNDkL9nZ2dnUU7-I9j4p2d@earthlink.com>):
>> In comp.sys.mac.apps Wolffan<akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>>> On 2021 Jul 01, Ant wrote
>>> (in article<XeGdnWshZZWW-kP9nZ2dnUU7-QNQAAAA@earthlink.com>):

>> > I???ve never manually rebuilt the Spotlight index in Big Sur. I last rebuilt
>> > the Spotlight index manually five or six years ago. Doing an update install
>> > usually rebuilds the Spotlight index automatically on reboot. There is
>> > usually no reason to rebuild the index after that.
>>
>> > Why do you think that you need to rebuild the index? Are you having problems
>> > with a search?
>>
>> Yes, it doesn't see all the thousands of Office files in ~/Documents.
>> Rebuilding Spotlight fixes it temporarily. :(
>
> Ah...
>
> 1 stick files in subdirectories, not all in one directory.
>
> 2 check your system; Spotlight isn’t supposed to lose files unless
> there’s a directory problem. Run Disk Utility.
>
> 3 create a _full_ backup, using Time Machine or a utility like Carbon Copy
> Cloner, or, preferably, _two_ backups, one with Time Machine and one with CCC
> or whatever. Compare the backups. If there are differences, you have
> significant directory damage. Nuke the volume, do a full restore, using both
> backups. You almost certainly have low-level problems on that volume, doing a
> full backup (two backups, and check to see if there are differences) a
> reformat and restore should fix it. Unless there’s a hardware problem, and
> you need a new drive.
>
> Having to rebuild the Spotlight index all the time is not normal. It’s a
> sign that your volume has a problem. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

Yep. Something is definitely wrong.

JR

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<030720211259270696%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=332&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#332

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 12:59:27 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 16:59 UTC

In article <ikaht1FahfgU4@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
<nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:

> And don't insult.

if you're going to ask others to not insult, it's a good idea to not do
so yourself.

In article <ikaii8FalpoU1@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
<nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:
> And yet you still are unable to follow through on your announce having
> plunked me and yet you can't resist being trolled. Other than that,
> what overweight script kiddies living in their parents' basements do
> don't concern me much.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<030720211259280806%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=333&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#333

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 12:59:28 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 16:59 UTC

In article <ikaj5sFapbsU1@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
<nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:

> I find files like so:
>
> find ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Managed/Bundles \
> -depth 1 -name '*.tmbundle' \
> -exec bash -c '
> tput bold;
> echo -n "$(defaults read "{}/info.plist" name): ";
> tput sgr0;
> echo $(if cd "{}/Syntaxes" 2>/dev/null;
> then
> for syntax in *.plist *.tmLanguage;
> do
> if [ -f "${syntax}" ];
> then
> /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c \
> "Print :scopeName" "${syntax}" \
> 2>/dev/null \
> | grep -v "[\{\}]";
> fi;
> done;
> fi)' \; \
> | sort -f
>
> or
>
> find $HOME -not \( -path $HOME/Library -prune \) \
> -not \( -path $HOME/Downloads -prune \) \
> -not \( -path $HOME/.cpan -prune \) \
> -name '*.pl' \
> -type f \
> -exec grep ^use {} ';' \
> |awk '{print $2}' \
> |sed 's/;//g' \
> |sort -u \
> |grep -v \
> -e '#' -e '5.' -e 'v5.10' \
> -e ^and \
> -e ^Apache \
> -e ^base \
> -e ^bytes \
> -e ^constant \
> -e ^experimental \
> -e ^feature \
> -e ^fields \
> -e ^hasn \
> -e ^lib \
> -e ^open \
> -e ^routines. \
> -e ^strict \
> -e ^subs \
> -e ^sysread \
> -e ^use \
> -e ^vars \
> -e ^version \
> -e ^warnings \
> -e ^when
>
> for example.

looks like 'idiot' was actually a compliment.

even an idiot is not stupid enough to think the above is a good idea.

you're also a hypocrite for calling others 'overweight script kiddies'
when you have your own fucked up script, one which a true script kiddie
would laugh at.

> I find that having a very hierarchical $HOME directory and forcing
> oneself to be consistent in where one puts what, obliviates the need
> for large scale file shifting.

what you're doing is not only very slow, highly inefficient and
*extremely* limited, but it's also *lot* of effort to maintain and
fundamentally broken.

the computer is there to do the work for you, not the other way around.

> I have no objections to Spotlight per se, but I haven't needed it
> either.

you obviously do have objections to it along with greatly limiting your
ability to effectively search.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<ikbs5fFig77U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=334&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#334

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 21:29:50 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 19:29 UTC

Wolfgang,

my name name is not Ebie.

el

On 2021-07-03 14:48 , Wolffan wrote:
> On 2021 Jul 03, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote
> (in article <ikahsbFahfgU3@mid.individual.net>):
>
>> Who's Ebie?
>
> that’d be you, Ebie.
>
> Your continual top-posting is one of the marks of the more idiotic trolls.
> Your inability to make interesting posts is another. Keep it up and you’ll
> be killfiled.
>>

>> el
>>
>> On 2021-07-02 20:18 , Wolffan wrote:
>>> On 2021 Jul 02, Lewis wrote
>>> (in article <slrnsdugsf.qb9.g.kreme@m1mini.local>):

>>> oh, there’s no doubt but that Ebie is a troll.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<ikbs6oFig77U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=335&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#335

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 21:30:31 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 19:30 UTC

Agreed. This is why I don't do it.

el

On 2021-07-03 18:59 , nospam wrote:
> In article <ikaht1FahfgU4@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
> <nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:
>
>> And don't insult.
>
> if you're going to ask others to not insult, it's a good idea to not do
> so yourself.
>
> In article <ikaii8FalpoU1@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
> <nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:
>> And yet you still are unable to follow through on your announce having
>> plunked me and yet you can't resist being trolled. Other than that,
>> what overweight script kiddies living in their parents' basements do
>> don't concern me much.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<ikbs80Fig77U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=336&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#336

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 21:31:12 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 19:31 UTC

I am so impressed by the wannabe plonkers.

el

On 2021-07-03 14:51 , Wolffan wrote:
> [...]
> feature... decisions, decisions.
>
> giving a damn about a troll’s opinions... hmm, nope.
>
> Say bye, Ebie. You’re about to be plonked.
>>

>> On 2021-07-02 14:46 , Wolffan wrote:
>>> On 2021 Jul 01, Bob Campbell wrote
>>> (in article<G9OdnRZ_ovU-FUP9nZ2dnUU7-fnNnZ2d@supernews.com>):

>>> Interesting. I have a 2 TB HDD and a 1 TB SSD internally on this machine,
>>> and
>>> have access to over 40 TB of storage, by USB, in a NAS, and in network
>>> connections to other computers, Mac, Windows, and Linux. Finding files in
>>> all
>>> that would be non-trivial without using search. So... how _do_ you find
>>> files? How much storage is on your machine(s)? How much time do you spend
>>> moving around files and folders? What is your objection to using search?

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<ikbsqmFil63U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=337&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#337

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 21:41:08 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 19:41 UTC

Aha.

Besides that I did not say either was a good idea, or easy to maintain,
both do the job. The former isn't even my own idea, comes from the
TextMate Support Group, but you of course can easily find the scopenames
of all installed TextMate2 bundles with Spotlight.

And you can easily find in Spotlight the CPAM modules used in all Perl
scripts other then the ones in Library Downloads and the CPAN modules
itself, of course.

It takes no effort whatsoever to maintain, in particular since there is
no need to maintain.

But then why am I explaining myself to children when I could rather
troll them?

el

On 2021-07-03 18:59 , nospam wrote:
> [...]
> when you have your own fucked up script, one which a true script
> kiddie would laugh at.
>
>> I find that having a very hierarchical $HOME directory and forcing
>> oneself to be consistent in where one puts what, obliviates the need
>> for large scale file shifting.
>
> what you're doing is not only very slow, highly inefficient and
> *extremely* limited, but it's also *lot* of effort to maintain and
> fundamentally broken.
>
> the computer is there to do the work for you, not the other way
> around.
>
>> I have no objections to Spotlight per se, but I haven't needed it
>> either.
>
> you obviously do have objections to it along with greatly limiting
> your ability to effectively search.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<030720211720063887%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=338&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#338

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 17:20:06 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 21:20 UTC

In article <ikbsqmFil63U1@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
<nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:

> Aha.
>
> Besides that I did not say either was a good idea, or easy to maintain,
> both do the job. The former isn't even my own idea, comes from the
> TextMate Support Group, but you of course can easily find the scopenames
> of all installed TextMate2 bundles with Spotlight.

it doesn't do the job, nor can it. it's fundamentally broken, along
with being slow and inefficient at what little it does do.

the real problem is you have *no* clue as to why that is.

> And you can easily find in Spotlight the CPAM modules used in all Perl
> scripts other then the ones in Library Downloads and the CPAN modules
> itself, of course.
>
> It takes no effort whatsoever to maintain, in particular since there is
> no need to maintain.

it takes quite a bit of effort, by your own admission:
> >> I find that having a very hierarchical $HOME directory and forcing
> >> oneself to be consistent in where one puts what, obliviates the need
> >> for large scale file shifting.

> But then why am I explaining myself to children when I could rather
> troll them?

what were you saying about not insulting?

In article <ikbs6oFig77U3@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
<nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:
> On 2021-07-03 18:59 , nospam wrote:
> > In article <ikaht1FahfgU4@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
> > <nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:
> >> And don't insult.
> >
> > if you're going to ask others to not insult, it's a good idea to not do
> > so yourself.
> >
> Agreed. This is why I don't do it.

top posting fixed.

not only do you continue to insult, but your trolling skills suck and
you are a liar.

> [...]
> > when you have your own fucked up script, one which a true script
> > kiddie would laugh at.
> >
> >> I find that having a very hierarchical $HOME directory and forcing
> >> oneself to be consistent in where one puts what, obliviates the need
> >> for large scale file shifting.
> >
> > what you're doing is not only very slow, highly inefficient and
> > *extremely* limited, but it's also *lot* of effort to maintain and
> > fundamentally broken.
> >
> > the computer is there to do the work for you, not the other way
> > around.
> >
> >> I have no objections to Spotlight per se, but I haven't needed it
> >> either.
> >
> > you obviously do have objections to it along with greatly limiting
> > your ability to effectively search.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<8dKdnQLH-9fj83z9nZ2dnUU7-WWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=339&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#339

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 03:17:02 -0500
 by: Ant - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 08:17 UTC

In comp.sys.mac.apps Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2021-07-03, Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
> > On 2021 Jul 02, Ant wrote
> > (in article<bZGdnUE8CMjNDkL9nZ2dnUU7-I9j4p2d@earthlink.com>):

> >> Yes, it doesn't see all the thousands of Office files in ~/Documents.
> >> Rebuilding Spotlight fixes it temporarily. :(
> >
> > Ah...
> >
> > 1 stick files in subdirectories, not all in one directory.
> >
> > 2 check your system; Spotlight isn???t supposed to lose files unless
> > there???s a directory problem. Run Disk Utility.
> >
> > 3 create a _full_ backup, using Time Machine or a utility like Carbon Copy
> > Cloner, or, preferably, _two_ backups, one with Time Machine and one with CCC
> > or whatever. Compare the backups. If there are differences, you have
> > significant directory damage. Nuke the volume, do a full restore, using both
> > backups. You almost certainly have low-level problems on that volume, doing a
> > full backup (two backups, and check to see if there are differences) a
> > reformat and restore should fix it. Unless there???s a hardware problem, and
> > you need a new drive.
> >
> > Having to rebuild the Spotlight index all the time is not normal. It???s a
> > sign that your volume has a problem. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

> Yep. Something is definitely wrong.

Yeah, I need to figure out what is wrong since it happened again late
last night after reindexing a few days ago. It was not finding all
matched Office documents in Documents folder (almost 1,700 files and 16
GB). 2020 Intel MacBook Pro's Disk Utility app found nothing wrong.
Reboot didn't help. :(
--
Will 2021 repeat 2020? :(
| |o o| |

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<8dKdnT3H-9d883z9nZ2dnUU7-WUAAAAA@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=340&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#340

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 03:18:41 -0500
 by: Ant - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 08:18 UTC

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/obzjzz/how_often_do_you_rebuild_your_macos_big_sur_v11s/h3r287c/ has the same issue. The user says reboot fixes it, but not for my client and me.
--
Will 2021 repeat 2020? :(
| |o o| |

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<ikeq4uF5advU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=341&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#341

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 00:13:50 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 22:13 UTC

Aha.

Another wannabe.

el

On 2021-07-03 23:20 , nospam wrote:
> In article <ikbsqmFil63U1@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
> <nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:
>
>> Aha.
>>
>> Besides that I did not say either was a good idea, or easy to maintain,
>> both do the job. The former isn't even my own idea, comes from the
>> TextMate Support Group, but you of course can easily find the scopenames
>> of all installed TextMate2 bundles with Spotlight.
>
> it doesn't do the job, nor can it. it's fundamentally broken, along
> with being slow and inefficient at what little it does do.
>
> the real problem is you have *no* clue as to why that is.
>
>> And you can easily find in Spotlight the CPAM modules used in all Perl
>> scripts other then the ones in Library Downloads and the CPAN modules
>> itself, of course.
>>
>> It takes no effort whatsoever to maintain, in particular since there is
>> no need to maintain.
>
> it takes quite a bit of effort, by your own admission:
>

>> But then why am I explaining myself to children when I could rather
>> troll them?
>
> what were you saying about not insulting?
>
> In article <ikbs6oFig77U3@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
> <nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:
>> On 2021-07-03 18:59 , nospam wrote:
>>>
>>> if you're going to ask others to not insult, it's a good idea to not do
>>> so yourself.
>>>
>> Agreed. This is why I don't do it.
>
> top posting fixed.
>
> not only do you continue to insult, but your trolling skills suck and
> you are a liar.
>

>> el
>>
>> On 2021-07-03 18:59 , nospam wrote:

>>> looks like 'idiot' was actually a compliment.
>>>
>>> even an idiot is not stupid enough to think the above is a good idea.
>>>
>>> you're also a hypocrite for calling others 'overweight script kiddies'
>>> when you have your own fucked up script, one which a true script
>>> kiddie would laugh at.

>>> what you're doing is not only very slow, highly inefficient and
>>> *extremely* limited, but it's also *lot* of effort to maintain and
>>> fundamentally broken.
>>>
>>> the computer is there to do the work for you, not the other way
>>> around.

>>> you obviously do have objections to it along with greatly limiting
>>> your ability to effectively search.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<sbvr2i$pvm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=342&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#342

From: bur...@nospam.com (J Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 16:46:08 -0400
 by: J Burns - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 20:46 UTC

On 7/1/21 9:08 PM, Ant wrote:
> It seems I have to do it monthly
> (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) since it is not finding all
> matched Office documents in Documents folder. This never happened in
> older versions like Mojave v10.14. :(
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Now that I read your message again, it rings a bell. Years ago, I
started using OpenOffice. The default for text files is .ODT.

I discovered that Spotlight wouldn't always find ODT files whose content
contained the search term. For some reason, if I rebuilt Spotlight, it
would show some of the ODT files with the term.

I used to know how to view the components of an ODT file. I wish I knew
how to do it now. It saves the text as a ZIP file. DOCX also uses ZIP.
Evidently, Spotlight normally ignores ZIP files.

For years, I hoped this would be fixed in an OS update. If Apple hasn't
fixed it, I should.

Will EasyFind search contents of ZIP files? If there's no way to search
them, I need to convert ODT files to another format. What's a good
searchable format for word processor documents?

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<sbvs3n$16v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=343&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#343

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:03:49 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 21:03 UTC

On 2021-07-05 1:46 p.m., J Burns wrote:
> On 7/1/21 9:08 PM, Ant wrote:
>> It seems I have to do it monthly
>> (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) since it is not finding all
>> matched Office documents in Documents folder. This never happened in
>> older versions like Mojave v10.14. :(
>>
>> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
>>
> Now that I read your message again, it rings a bell. Years ago, I
> started using OpenOffice. The default for text files is .ODT.
>
> I discovered that Spotlight wouldn't always find ODT files whose content
> contained the search term. For some reason, if I rebuilt Spotlight, it
> would show some of the ODT files with the term.
>
> I used to know how to view the components of an ODT file. I wish I knew
> how to do it now. It saves the text as a ZIP file.  DOCX also uses ZIP.
> Evidently, Spotlight normally ignores ZIP files.
>
> For years, I hoped this would be fixed in an OS update. If Apple hasn't
> fixed it, I should.
>
> Will EasyFind search contents of ZIP files? If there's no way to search
> them, I need to convert ODT files to another format. What's a good
> searchable format for word processor documents?

'LibreOffice comes with a Spotlight importer in its bundle. You can
confirm this with the following terminal command:

/usr/bin/mdimport -L

, which lists available importers and included in this list should be:

"/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OOoSpotlightImporter.
mdimporter"'

<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7484775>

And running "mdimport -L" on my own system shows:

'"/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OOoSpotlightImporter.mdimporter",

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<9f-dncO4gdH0ZHr9nZ2dnUU7-WvNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=345&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#345

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 02:23:21 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 07:23 UTC

> > > Having to rebuild the Spotlight index all the time is not normal. It???s a
> > > sign that your volume has a problem. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

> > Yep. Something is definitely wrong.

> Yeah, I need to figure out what is wrong since it happened again late
> last night after reindexing a few days ago. It was not finding all
> matched Office documents in Documents folder (almost 1,700 files and 16
> GB). 2020 Intel MacBook Pro's Disk Utility app found nothing wrong.
> Reboot didn't help. :(

And again last night. Is there a Spotlight log somewhere in macOS? I
forgot to mention this is in a standard level account (not admin.).
--
Go LA (NBA)! Oh wait... It had been over a year... Will 2021 repeat 2020? :(
| |o o| |

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<9f-dncK4gdGiZ3r9nZ2dnUU7-WudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=346&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#346

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 02:26:55 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 07:26 UTC

In comp.sys.mac.software Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
> Ah...

> 1 stick files in subdirectories, not all in one directory.

My elder client loves to stuff everything in ~/Documents including
images, audios, and videos. I told him not to do that. He doesn't
listen. :(

> 2 check your system; Spotlight isn???t supposed to lose files unless
> there???s a directory problem. Run Disk Utility.

Disk Utility app found no problems in SSD and all of its default partitions.

> 3 create a _full_ backup, using Time Machine or a utility like Carbon Copy
> Cloner, or, preferably, _two_ backups, one with Time Machine and one with CCC
> or whatever. Compare the backups. If there are differences, you have
> significant directory damage. Nuke the volume, do a full restore, using both
> backups. You almost certainly have low-level problems on that volume, doing a
> full backup (two backups, and check to see if there are differences) a
> reformat and restore should fix it. Unless there???s a hardware problem, and
> you need a new drive.

We will try that when it's really bad. We do use Time Machine with
external HDDs. I am sure the physical SSD is fine. I wonder if the
Chinese documents, since Windows 98 days, are messing up Spotlight
Go LA (NBA)! Oh wait... It had been over a year... Will 2021 repeat 2020? :(
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<slrnsegifm.1il6.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=347&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#347

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 13:07:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 13:07 UTC

In message <9f-dncK4gdGiZ3r9nZ2dnUU7-WudnZ2d@earthlink.com> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> In comp.sys.mac.software Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>> Ah...

>> 1 stick files in subdirectories, not all in one directory.

> My elder client loves to stuff everything in ~/Documents including
> images, audios, and videos. I told him not to do that. He doesn't
> listen. :(

He's right. There is no reason other than one's own sense of
organization, tp specialize folders. You can certainly put all your data
into a single folder if that is what works for you.

The main exception was, though I think no longer is, the Desktop folder
where having too many items on it would cause various annoyances and
slow-downs.

Despite the advice, using sub folders will not make the slightest impact
on Spotlight.

>> 2 check your system; Spotlight isn???t supposed to lose files unless
>> there???s a directory problem. Run Disk Utility.

> Disk Utility app found no problems in SSD and all of its default partitions.

I suspect the issue it the Office.mdimporter file, since it is office
files that seem to be the issue.

> We will try that when it's really bad. We do use Time Machine with
> external HDDs. I am sure the physical SSD is fine. I wonder if the
> Chinese documents, since Windows 98 days, are messing up Spotlight

That makes me suspect the Office.mdimporter even more.

--
You'd be a very high-level X-Men like Emma Frost's Diamond Form.

Re: How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

<090720210914587802%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=348&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#348

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 09:14:58 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 13:14 UTC

In article <slrnsegifm.1il6.g.kreme@m1mini.local>, Lewis
<g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:

> > My elder client loves to stuff everything in ~/Documents including
> > images, audios, and videos. I told him not to do that. He doesn't
> > listen. :(
>
> He's right. There is no reason other than one's own sense of
> organization, tp specialize folders. You can certainly put all your data
> into a single folder if that is what works for you.
>
> The main exception was, though I think no longer is, the Desktop folder
> where having too many items on it would cause various annoyances and
> slow-downs.

that hasn't been an issue since at least as far back as tiger/10.4 or
panther/10.3 (don't remember exactly when) and macs which had
relatively small amounts of memory.