Spock: The odds of surviving another attack are 13562190123 to 1, Captain.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Android AV

SubjectAuthor
* Android AVJim the Geordie
+- Re: Android AVsms
+- Re: Android AVJoerg Lorenz
+* Re: Android AVVanguardLH
|+* Re: Android AVAndy Burnelli
||+* Re: Android AVAndy Burns
|||+* Re: Android AVnospam
|||`- Re: Android AVAndy Burnelli
||`* Re: Android AVJim the Geordie
|| +* Re: Android AVCarlos E. R.
|| |+* Re: Android AVsms
|| |`- Re: Android AVAndy Burnelli
|| `* Re: Android AVAndy Burnelli
||  `- Re: Android AVJim the Geordie
|`* Re: Android AVKen Blake
| `- Re: Android AVAndy Burnelli
`- Re: Android AVJason H

Pages:12
Android AV

<MPG.3e3bd2f65fb660299896f9@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36979&group=comp.mobile.android#36979

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Android AV
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 00:00:28 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 00:00 UTC

I have s paid-for F-secure security package which covers both my Desktop
and three androids.
Windows users tell me that it is unnecesary as Defender does the job
well enough. I am also told that AV on android is not needed?
If this is true I can scrap my F-secure package?
Is this tru?

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Android AV

<tqskr3$t5ij$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36982&group=comp.mobile.android#36982

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Android AV
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 17:25:55 -0800
 by: sms - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 01:25 UTC

On 1/25/2023 4:00 PM, Jim the Geordie wrote:

> I have s paid-for F-secure security package which covers both my Desktop
> and three androids.
> Windows users tell me that it is unnecesary as Defender does the job
> well enough. I am also told that AV on android is not needed?
> If this is true I can scrap my F-secure package?
> Is this tru?

Yes.

Re: Android AV

<tqsmhj$2flg$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36983&group=comp.mobile.android#36983

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 02:54:59 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 01:54 UTC

Am 26.01.23 um 01:00 schrieb Jim the Geordie:

> I have s paid-for F-secure security package which covers both my Desktop
> and three androids.
> Windows users tell me that it is unnecesary as Defender does the job
> well enough. I am also told that AV on android is not needed?
> If this is true I can scrap my F-secure package?
> Is this tru?

Yes.
Sorry.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Android AV

<1hpjbo7r1l1i7$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36985&group=comp.mobile.android#36985

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:31:34 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 05:31 UTC

Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> I have s paid-for F-secure security package which covers both my Desktop
> and three androids.
> Windows users tell me that it is unnecesary as Defender does the job
> well enough. I am also told that AV on android is not needed?
> If this is true I can scrap my F-secure package?
> Is this tru?

At one time I had Avast on my Android smartphone. Way too many ads, and
they were interspersed with the Avast screens making it messy to figure
out which were AV functions and which were ads. Got rid of the adware.
I then tried Sophos Intercept X on my Android smartphone for about 3
years. It gets high ratings regarding coverage, low false positives,
and pest detection coverage. It had almost no impact on responsiveness
of my phone. It was completely free. Not a subscriptionware AV.
However, after a couple years, I decided to remove it. I no longer run
any any AV on my phone. However, there are Android viruses.

I don't stream or download files or videos to my phone, and web surfing
is minimal as the small screens of phones (mine is large but still too
small) making surfing uncomfortable on my eyes. My web surfing on my
phone is limited to visiting sites needed when travelling, like finding
show times at a theater. I don't keep gobs of data on my phone. If
there is data that I want to keep, it goes on OneDrive or Google Drive
to share with my desktops and tablets. That means I can do a factory
reset on my phone without losing any data, and I can use the Play store
to decide which apps to reinstall (when I reset, I first configure the
Play Store app to /not/ reinstall all previously installed apps in case
one of them was why I did a reset).

On my desktops, I ran Avast for many years. I also tried BitDefender,
but it caused too much lag in responsiveness on my PCs. That was back
when Defender was just an anti-spyware tool, not an anti-virus. Once
Microsoft dumped the Defender core and moved to their enterprise
Endpoint client, Defender became a major contender in the AV market. It
is just as effective as BitDefender, Avast, and other top-end AVs.
Avast has a free version. I paid to get rid of the ads, the ads
remained, so I got a refund and went back to the free version.
Bitdefender has a free version, as do many others. Defender is free
(well, it's bundled with Windows), just as good, so that's all I use
now. You can find many sites that rank AVs, like av-comparatives.org
(they rank the top candidates, and F-Secure rarely makes their list), to
decide for yourself the efficacy of whatever is your AV choice. You
have to visit an AV compare site that lists a lot more of all the AV
choices, like av-test.org, to see how they rate F-Secure. They rank
both Windows, Android, and MacOS AVs, but they are at a higher level of
ranking (i.e., less details, less granular testing).

No AV can guarantee absolute protection against malware. If it did, it
would so throttle use of the OS to make it unusable to the user. You
have to decide your comfort level between security and ease-of-use which
are the antithesis of each other. I no longer use an AV on my Android
phone. Same for my Android tablet. I now just use Windows Defender on
my desktop PC. This has been my setup for several years now. However,
I'm not visiting porn or other nasty sites. Your behavior decides your
vulnerability. Just because there are hundreds of thousands of malwares
out there doesn't mean you'll encounter any. Your behavior could
severely up your exposure.

Re: Android AV

<tqt5jj$29hi4$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36986&group=comp.mobile.android#36986

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 06:12:16 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 06:12 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> At one time I had Avast on my Android smartphone.

Hi Vanguard,

It's yet another Apple troll. And you fell for it. Trying to help the guy.
Every time they do this - it's a mirror of what's on their newsgroup.

On the Apple newsgroup, the news this week is that iPhones are being wiped
out, left and right, all over the world, falling prey to a huge assemblage
of hugely serious widespread exploited bugs way down to iOS 12 and beyond.

Almost all iPhones are literally toxic around the world due to these bugs.

The latest release fixes more than a dozen of these _huge_ holes, Apple
never found (the hackers always find them first - never Apple).

But only in iOS 16.

All the other releases are wide open and hugely vulnerable.

Half of all the zero days have been exploited already in the wild, with
Apple finding absolutely _zero_ of these bugs (Google finds most of them).

So, to get back at Android, they post this classic AV shit, and you fell
for it. Because you're trying to help. But they don't give a shit.

They _hate_ the iPhone is falling apart on them right before their eyes.

Re: Android AV

<k3esblF8ul0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36987&group=comp.mobile.android#36987

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 08:36:04 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 08:36 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> At one time I had Avast on my Android smartphone.
>
> It's yet another Apple troll. And you fell for it.

You must have a x1000 pre-amp fitted on the input to your troll-o-meter.

Re: Android AV

<MPG.3e3c60b2107c08b59896fb@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36988&group=comp.mobile.android#36988

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 10:05:15 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 10:05 UTC

In article <tqt5jj$29hi4$1@news.mixmin.net>, spam@nospam.com says...

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
> > At one time I had Avast on my Android smartphone.
>
> Hi Vanguard,
>
> It's yet another Apple troll. And you fell for it. Trying to help the guy.
> Every time they do this - it's a mirror of what's on their newsgroup.
>
> On the Apple newsgroup, the news this week is that iPhones are being wiped
> out, left and right, all over the world, falling prey to a huge assemblage
> of hugely serious widespread exploited bugs way down to iOS 12 and beyond.
>
> Almost all iPhones are literally toxic around the world due to these bugs.
>
> The latest release fixes more than a dozen of these _huge_ holes, Apple
> never found (the hackers always find them first - never Apple).
>
> But only in iOS 16.
>
> All the other releases are wide open and hugely vulnerable.
>
> Half of all the zero days have been exploited already in the wild, with
> Apple finding absolutely _zero_ of these bugs (Google finds most of them).
>
> So, to get back at Android, they post this classic AV shit, and you fell
> for it. Because you're trying to help. But they don't give a shit.
>
> They _hate_ the iPhone is falling apart on them right before their eyes.

If you are referring to my post Andy - I am not a troll.
My F-secure account is coming up for renewal and those on windows-10
group recommended that I dump it and use Defender alone, However they
got shirty when I asked for advice on android.
If they are right along with Vanguard, then it seems I should dum F-
secure altogether.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Android AV

<k3f89hFacu4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36989&group=comp.mobile.android#36989

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 12:59:45 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 11:59 UTC

On 2023-01-26 11:05, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> In article <tqt5jj$29hi4$1@news.mixmin.net>, spam@nospam.com says...
>>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> At one time I had Avast on my Android smartphone.
>>
>> Hi Vanguard,
>>
>> It's yet another Apple troll. And you fell for it. Trying to help the guy.
>> Every time they do this - it's a mirror of what's on their newsgroup.
>>
>> On the Apple newsgroup, the news this week is that iPhones are being wiped
>> out, left and right, all over the world, falling prey to a huge assemblage
>> of hugely serious widespread exploited bugs way down to iOS 12 and beyond.
>>
>> Almost all iPhones are literally toxic around the world due to these bugs.
>>
>> The latest release fixes more than a dozen of these _huge_ holes, Apple
>> never found (the hackers always find them first - never Apple).
>>
>> But only in iOS 16.
>>
>> All the other releases are wide open and hugely vulnerable.
>>
>> Half of all the zero days have been exploited already in the wild, with
>> Apple finding absolutely _zero_ of these bugs (Google finds most of them).
>>
>> So, to get back at Android, they post this classic AV shit, and you fell
>> for it. Because you're trying to help. But they don't give a shit.
>>
>> They _hate_ the iPhone is falling apart on them right before their eyes.
>
> If you are referring to my post Andy - I am not a troll.

You aren't, but he is. Just ignore him.

> My F-secure account is coming up for renewal and those on windows-10
> group recommended that I dump it and use Defender alone, However they
> got shirty when I asked for advice on android.
> If they are right along with Vanguard, then it seems I should dum F-
> secure altogether.

I know.

Removing the apple groups from the reply.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Android AV

<260120230907148880%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36991&group=comp.mobile.android#36991

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 09:07:14 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 14:07 UTC

In article <k3esblF8ul0U1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Andy Burnelli wrote:
> > It's yet another Apple troll. And you fell for it.
>
> You must have a x1000 pre-amp fitted on the input to your troll-o-meter.

it's actually a feedback loop.

Re: Android AV

<lo25thpaibqvsfu5pm8go44dme4uavmgac@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36992&group=comp.mobile.android#36992

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 07:17:59 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 14:17 UTC

On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:31:34 -0600, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>No AV can guarantee absolute protection against malware. If it did, it
>would so throttle use of the OS to make it unusable to the user.

And even if it were perfect today, it wouldn't be perfect tomorrow.
New malware comes out everyday, and although all security software
gets updated frequently, none of them can ever completely keep up with
what's new.

Re: Android AV

<dfwAL.420978$iU59.236379@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36993&group=comp.mobile.android#36993

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 09:38:01 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 14:38 UTC

On 2023-01-26 09:07, nospam wrote:

> it's actually a feedback loop.

The worst feedback loop is engaging the trolls.

Would be a lot quieter if you (and others) would simply let it go.

The wrestling with pigs analogy applies.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Re: Android AV

<tqu477$2eh7u$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36994&group=comp.mobile.android#36994

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 14:54:44 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 14:54 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

>> It's yet another Apple troll. And you fell for it.
>
> You must have a x1000 pre-amp fitted on the input to your troll-o-meter.

Hi Andy Burns,

I'll heed your advice, as I can easily change my assessment given more
facts (which is a skill all logical adults should be able to perform).

I could very well be wrong - and I would be happy to be wrong - more so - I
very much respect your technical acumen - so I will back off this thread.

The warning is simply to be on the lookout for iTroll tendencies of...

a. A temporal occurrence is disturbing the iKooks on the iPhone ng
(currently iPhone exploits are rendering almost all iPhones toxic)

b. That "topic" shows up in reverse on the Android newsgroup by a newbie
(in this scenario, that would be the toxicity aspect of exploits)

c. Starting with too-simple Apple-centric inane "problems" sans detail
(it's often a "friend" and most often no phone/OS details provided)

d. Nonsensical hurdles are thrown up (always too-simple & Apple-centric)
(all of which lead the thread into the eventual payload punch line)

In the end, the guy "gives up" on the "complexity" or "insecurity" of
Android in favor of the nirvana that Apple promised them for the iPhone.

We'll just have to wait and see what the pudding tastes like, but
bear in mind an almost exact post was posted to the Windows newsgroup.

From: Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 00:00:28 -0000
From: Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Malware antivirus
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 00:53:49 -0000
My provider provides me with a security package (f-secure) at a reduced
price- which is coming up for renewal.
I just got to wondering whether M$ Defender and firewall might do the
same job for free - with perhapd one of the free antivirus preogrammes I
used to use.
I am on windows-10 and the only user of the computer
--
Jim the Geordie

As always, I'll give the poster the benefit of the doubt and will try to
help him, even as I am not convinced but I will heed your astute advice.
--
Adults can _change_ their behavior when heeding advice from others.

Re: Android AV

<tqu73p$2evg0$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36995&group=comp.mobile.android#36995

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 15:44:06 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 15:44 UTC

Jim the Geordie wrote:

> If you are referring to my post Andy - I am not a troll.
> My F-secure account is coming up for renewal and those on windows-10
> group recommended that I dump it and use Defender alone, However they
> got shirty when I asked for advice on android.
> If they are right along with Vanguard, then it seems I should dum F-
> secure altogether.

Hi "Jim the Geordie",

They did _not_ get "shitty"; they just told you that you strung them along
for dozens of posts before you then inexplicably added Android to the
problem set - which is a classic bait-and-switch approach - but even then,
they simply asked you to ask on the Android newsgroup - which you did.

I'm on most of the common operating system newsgroups, so I'm well aware of
your concurrent duplicate Windows AV post on the Windows newsgroup.

Note that never even once did you provide any link or even an adequate
detailed description of the tools you are using, which would have been a
courteously helpful bit of effort on your part to explain what methodology
you're considering ditching in favor of the native Android and Windows AV
solutions extent.

Here's my take on the progress of your post on the Windows newsgroup...

sticks immediately said he also uses the same tools as you do, yet the fact
is he posted mere minutes after you, and there's a long sordid history with
the "sticks" nym combined with nonsensical threads from the likes of
"MajorLanGod" and other nyms who post inane topics & then disappear.

Among others, Paul, as always, gave you very detailed answers to which you
didn't even appear to read, giving him a 7-word retort of no value at all.

Paul, to his credit, responded with _another_ detailed answer to your
7-word retort that didn't contain any word more than four letters, and you
haven't responded to that followup, which _you_ requested from him.

While Paul's help is, by his nature being as that of Vanguard & myself,
always kind-hearted and voluminous, wasbit gave you a short paragraph
answer, to which you responded by asking the exact question over again.

Mere seconds later, a new "John K.Eason" nym shows up as "sticks" had
before him, where that nym often shows up on "Commander Kinsey" bogus
posts, followed shortly thereafter by the classic "Ed Cryer" metoo.

After the well respected Andy Burns, Paul, wasbit, and Zaghadka (among
others) told you that Windows Defender works just fine, you then brought up
the classic iKooks' whataboutism....
*Yes, but... What about Android*

Bearing in mind, on the Apple newsgroups this week, the iPhone users have
been ground to bits on the sheer toxicity of the huge number of exploited
zero-day bugs that are reverberating around the world on both iOS & macOS
such that it was revealed Apple is _not_ patching what people think since
Apple lied about fixing old releases (they only patch a _single_ release!).

With the current events of the toxicity of Apple products lately...

*Perhaps you were somehow working diligently toward the eventual payload*
*that an AV that works on the Mac _also_ works on the iPhone maybe?*

Dunno yet... it's your payload... so let's just proceed, shall we?

To your question about Android AV, Andy Burns (who, like I, is on both
newsgroups), kindly responded nobody feels AV is needed on Android (to
which I avidly concur - and - trust me - I'd use it if I thought it was
needed as I'm no friend of Google)...

To your credit, you thanked Andy Burns, which, come to think of it, is NOT
a trait that the iKooks ever display so that's a counter indicator for me.

And the thread ends with Zagheda aptly pointing out that you never
mentioned the Android payload until you had them tell you that Windows
Defender works just fine - and that's all there is to look at as of now.

In summary, you asked a question on each newsgroup which, as Andy Burns
pointed out, I jumped on perhaps prematurely, as yet another iTroll.

In delving deeper into the chronology, I'll openly and publicly apologize
to you, saying I probably was wrong to accuse you of being an iTroll.

Please accept my apologies, and please do ask questions of the Android or
Windows newsgroups... but... I request that if you want to tie Android to
Windows, you do that in the beginning (like you did with the Android query,
and not like the Windows query which preceded it).

After having looked in further detail in your posts on the Windows
newsgroup, and after noting it's a classic topic much like the idiotic
"What Oil" threads on the bimmer newsgroups, it's a question _always_ asked
by people who make decisions based more on fear than on science.

Making all decisions based on fear alone is the hallmark of the iKooks.

Nonetheless, I want to repeat emphatically that I will declare that I made
a mistake - that there's a better chance than not than you being one of the
iKooks due to small, yet perceptible mannerisms (not the least of which was
your adult behavior just now in questioning my initial stated reaction).

Having poured my heart out above, as I am want to do because I am a
good-hearted person (quite unlike the iKooks, mind you, who are all
despicable people and cruel heartless ones at that), I will be taking your
posts seriously moving forward.

To wit... I will declare that I too used AV programs in the past on Windows
and I too used those "crap cleaner" style programs on Android in the past,
but I echo the sage advice from Paul, wasbit, Andy Burns, Zag, et al., that
neither is needed (IMHO) on either Android or Windows.

Given I deeply _care_ that people get the help they need, I will proceed...

Nobody I know who is driven by facts more so than by fear, uses _any_
antivirus over and above the native Google Play Protect system on Android,
and likewise on Windows, regarding the Windows Defender package - which has
come such a long way that I, myself, haven't had a virus in so long I can't
even remember when, and I've never had one on Android that I'm aware of.

As for Google Play Protect, if you're not aware, I've posted many a thread
on how it works, where it works completely _outside_ of the app called the
"Google Play Store" app, which I have disabled on my phone, even as Google
Play Protect (and, by the way, Google app updates) work just fine even
_without_ any mothership tracking account on the Android phone.

In all my tests of Google Play Protect, rest assured, it checks all apps on
a frequent schedule, even if _zero_ of your apps came from the Google Play
Store app itself (ask me how I know this).
<https://i.postimg.cc/FRjyyX7V/aurora19.jpg> Turn on Play Protect?

The native Android Google Play Protect feature checks not only for known
issues, but for heuristics

Here are some screenshots I posted a while ago in my test of this feature.
<https://i.postimg.cc/1tPHPWpK/gpprotect01.jpg> No Google Play account
<https://i.postimg.cc/vBzvmWhw/gpprotect02.jpg> Turn on Play Protect scan
<https://i.postimg.cc/fyRfSJqt/gpprotect03.jpg> Google Play App Updates
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xvCGM1B/gpprotect04.jpg> Turn on Play Protect?
<https://i.postimg.cc/1tQ9tPHG/gpprotect05.jpg> Manual GPProtect scan
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZKM4N6HK/gpprotect06.jpg> Change your defaults!
<https://i.postimg.cc/xd97fJ9j/gpprotect07.jpg> Find my phone location?

Here's my heartfelt sincere advice given you never provided any links which
describe the solution you're using, so I'm _not_ comparing the two systems,
but I am saying that, like many who have advised you already, there is no
need that I feel to use _anything_ other than the default native AV tools
on both Windows and Android.

If you want me to _compare_ my solution to that you're currently using,
then you need to have the common decency to provide me a link to a
description of your current solution as that would indicate that you are
serious and not just trolling us (which is important for you to establish).
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to sincerely address the issues that were raised.

Re: Android AV

<tqu7ft$18c4l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36996&group=comp.mobile.android#36996

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 07:50:19 -0800
 by: sms - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 15:50 UTC

On 1/26/2023 3:59 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

<snip>

The reason that hackers spend time on finding bugs and zero-day exploits
is because there's big money involved. That money is significant for an
individual.

It's far more cost-effective for Google and Apple to pay those bounties
than to hire an internal team to do the same thing. Under the bounty
system you could have a hundred-thousand hackers working to find
exploits and only one ever gets the money for an exploit.

Zerodium: <https://zerodium.com/program.html>

Google: <https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2022/05/02/android-13-bugs-bounty/>

Apple: <https://security.apple.com/bounty/categories/>

Ironically, the bigger money is in finding Android exploits. A few years
ago, it was the opposite because Android used to be a security nightmare
and finding exploits was much easier.

Re: Android AV

<260120231055489676%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36997&group=comp.mobile.android#36997

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 10:55:48 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 15:55 UTC

In article <tqu7ft$18c4l$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> It's far more cost-effective for Google and Apple to pay those bounties
> than to hire an internal team to do the same thing.

it's not an either/or. they very definitely use an internal team. the
bounties are in addition to that.

Re: Android AV

<tqu8q1$2f7p9$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36998&group=comp.mobile.android#36998

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 16:13:03 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 16:13 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

>>No AV can guarantee absolute protection against malware. If it did, it
>>would so throttle use of the OS to make it unusable to the user.
>
> And even if it were perfect today, it wouldn't be perfect tomorrow.
> New malware comes out everyday, and although all security software
> gets updated frequently, none of them can ever completely keep up with
> what's new.

Importantly, I must say I "should" perhaps be at risk in that I've
installed many potentially dodgy programs on Windows/Android yet I _never_
use the Google Play Store app itself to install apps on my Android phone.

May of the apps I've installed have fewer than 100 to 500 downloads, for
example, and, as such are unrated, & yet, I install & test them freely.

Given I "stress" the system a bit, I then concur with both Vanguard and Ken
Blake (and others) on their sentiment of the current state of affairs being
that both Windows Defender and Google Play Protect seem to be working just
fine on my systems, where, to my knowledge, I haven't had indications of a
viral infection in, oh, I can't even count the number of years.

While I don't even have Google Play Protect turned on at the moment, I
tested it thoroughly in the past, and I have found it scans frequently for
both known issues and for heuristics, much as Vanguard & Ken & others say.

One bit of advice is that you do NOT need a Google Account on the phone to
benefit from the native Google Play Protect and Google App Update features.

Here are screenshots indicating GPP works independently of the GPS app.
<https://i.postimg.cc/1tPHPWpK/gpprotect01.jpg> No Google Play account
<https://i.postimg.cc/vBzvmWhw/gpprotect02.jpg> Turn on Play Protect scan
<https://i.postimg.cc/fyRfSJqt/gpprotect03.jpg> Google Play App Updates
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xvCGM1B/gpprotect04.jpg> Turn on Play Protect?
<https://i.postimg.cc/1tQ9tPHG/gpprotect05.jpg> Manual GPProtect scan
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZKM4N6HK/gpprotect06.jpg> Change your defaults!
<https://i.postimg.cc/xd97fJ9j/gpprotect07.jpg> Find my phone location?
<https://i.postimg.cc/FRjyyX7V/aurora19.jpg> Turn on Play Protect?

As for Google App Update, I'll just let you in on a secret that, much like
how iPhone users (erroneously) think Apple updates more than one release,
most Android owners seem to think the GPS updates _all_ their apps.

It doesn't even come close to updating all apps in the tests I've run.
<https://i.postimg.cc/HsXKj7WK/updateallapps01.jpg> Doesn't update all!
<https://i.postimg.cc/4djB69pr/updateallapps02.jpg> Independent of GPS
<https://i.postimg.cc/02xKj04h/updateallapps03.jpg> Only updates SOME!
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg> Only updates GOOGLE!
<https://i.postimg.cc/kgBB3mq0/updateallapps05.jpg> Use dedicated updaters
<https://i.postimg.cc/fy8TpHFW/updateallapps06.jpg> Some are really good
<https://i.postimg.cc/pLwVw50j/updateallapps07.jpg> No need for a sign in
<https://i.postimg.cc/BZMzpG4C/updateallapps08.jpg> Works even if disabled
<https://i.postimg.cc/g0jQBKrs/updateallapps09.jpg> GPServices vs GPStore
<https://i.postimg.cc/qqVFqVwD/updateallapps10.jpg> Update different stuff
<https://i.postimg.cc/4ymqRF7n/updateallapps11.jpg> e.g., GPSystem version
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to clarify results of my tests which most people

Re: Android AV

<tqu93a$2f9a2$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36999&group=comp.mobile.android#36999

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 16:18:00 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 16:18 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> If you are referring to my post Andy - I am not a troll.
>
> You aren't, but he is

Carlos,

I realize you have an IQ of about 50, so this may be too difficult...

Ask yourself this question, and please, think seriously about the answer.
*Q: Did you answer the guy's question - or did you just waste our time?*

HINT: Carlos has _never_ in his entire life, ever added on-topic technical
value to _any_ Android thread that he has _ever_ responded to.

With that in mind, ask _yourself_ Carlos, this key question:
*Who is the troll, Carlos?*

Re: Android AV

<tqu9nr$2fcfd$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37000&group=comp.mobile.android#37000

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 16:28:57 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 16:28 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> It's far more cost-effective for Google and Apple to pay those bounties
>> than to hire an internal team to do the same thing.
>
> it's not an either/or. they very definitely use an internal team. the
> bounties are in addition to that.

Hi nospam,

Apple doesn't even have a QA team to speak of.

Why then does Apple have not only the lowest R&D expenditures, bar none, in
_all_ of high tech (with much smaller companies spending more R&D dollars),
and, at the same time, almost every Apple iOS release is inundated with a
huge number of heinous bugs shortly after any major dot-zero iOS release?

Even the VP of engineering, Federighi, has complained in leaked emails that
Apple's QA is essentially hugely understaffed, overworked, and underfunded.

Whistleblowers posted for years that Apple doesn't bother with adequate QA.
And...
*The fact no smartphone has more zero-day holes than iOS speaks for itself*

In a way, you holier-than-thou iKooks are right:
*No smartphone operating system is "holier" than iOS is*, by far.

Fully _half_ the many iOS zero-day holes found last year, nospam, were
actively exploited - as has been posted recently to the Apple newsgroup.

Worse - while Pegasus has _never_ been able to penetrate the Android kernel
NSO _many times_ has penetrated the iOS kernel (based on news reports).

To make matters worse, it appears Apple (yet again) lied in that Apple
recently was forced by security researchers to admit Apple has never even
once fully patched _any_ other release but the _single_ latest release.

Which means, nospam, that all your claims that Apple updates longer than
does Android, is a farce (much like Steve's FCC-coverage maps were).

Think about that before you respond, nospam.
*Everything you've claimed about iOS release updates - has been wrong!*

Not a single time has Apple _ever_ fully patched an older release, nospam.

Given all these facts, nospam, I think Steve's assumption is correct, where
I've said many times all the indicators are that Apple's QA doesn't exist.

Apple lets the world do the QA for them, which is why there are more
zero-day holes in iOS than in any other smartphone operating system extent.

Re: Android AV

<MPG.3e3cca88bb5d22f99896fd@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37001&group=comp.mobile.android#37001

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 17:36:45 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 17:36 UTC

In article <tqu73p$2evg0$1@news.mixmin.net>, spam@nospam.com says...

> Jim the Geordie wrote:
>
> > If you are referring to my post Andy - I am not a troll.
> > My F-secure account is coming up for renewal and those on windows-10
> > group recommended that I dump it and use Defender alone, However they
> > got shirty when I asked for advice on android.
> > If they are right along with Vanguard, then it seems I should dum F-
> > secure altogether.
>
> Hi "Jim the Geordie",
>
> They did _not_ get "shitty"; they just told you that you strung them along
> for dozens of posts before you then inexplicably added Android to the
> problem set - which is a classic bait-and-switch approach - but even then,
> they simply asked you to ask on the Android newsgroup - which you did.
>
> I'm on most of the common operating system newsgroups, so I'm well aware of
> your concurrent duplicate Windows AV post on the Windows newsgroup.
>
> Note that never even once did you provide any link or even an adequate
> detailed description of the tools you are using, which would have been a
> courteously helpful bit of effort on your part to explain what methodology
> you're considering ditching in favor of the native Android and Windows AV
> solutions extent.
>
> Here's my take on the progress of your post on the Windows newsgroup...
>
> sticks immediately said he also uses the same tools as you do, yet the fact
> is he posted mere minutes after you, and there's a long sordid history with
> the "sticks" nym combined with nonsensical threads from the likes of
> "MajorLanGod" and other nyms who post inane topics & then disappear.
>
> Among others, Paul, as always, gave you very detailed answers to which you
> didn't even appear to read, giving him a 7-word retort of no value at all.
>
> Paul, to his credit, responded with _another_ detailed answer to your
> 7-word retort that didn't contain any word more than four letters, and you
> haven't responded to that followup, which _you_ requested from him.
>
> While Paul's help is, by his nature being as that of Vanguard & myself,
> always kind-hearted and voluminous, wasbit gave you a short paragraph
> answer, to which you responded by asking the exact question over again.
>
> Mere seconds later, a new "John K.Eason" nym shows up as "sticks" had
> before him, where that nym often shows up on "Commander Kinsey" bogus
> posts, followed shortly thereafter by the classic "Ed Cryer" metoo.
>
> After the well respected Andy Burns, Paul, wasbit, and Zaghadka (among
> others) told you that Windows Defender works just fine, you then brought up

ShiRty NOT ShiTty - please read before going off on one!

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Android AV

<tquio7$13pcl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37002&group=comp.mobile.android#37002

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 11:02:31 -0800
 by: Alan - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:02 UTC

On 2023-01-26 08:28, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> It's far more cost-effective for Google and Apple to pay those
>>> bounties than to hire an internal team to do the same thing.
>>
>> it's not an either/or. they very definitely use an internal team. the
>> bounties are in addition to that.
>
> Hi nospam,
>
> Apple doesn't even have a QA team to speak of.
>
> Why then does Apple have not only the lowest R&D expenditures, bar none, in
> _all_ of high tech (with much smaller companies spending more R&D
> dollars),

Oh, you stepped in it there, Arlen!

"more R&D dollars"?

Really?

Which "much smaller companies" spend more "dollars" on R&D, Arlen?

Not a greater PERCENTAGE, but actual NUMBERS OF DOLLARS.

Re: Android AV

<tquqgq$1bfqc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37004&group=comp.mobile.android#37004

From: DarthPir...@deathstar.gal (Jason H)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 21:15:06 +0000
 by: Jason H - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 21:15 UTC

On 1/26/23 00:00, Jim the Geordie wrote:

> I have s paid-for F-secure security package which covers both my Desktop
> and three androids.
> Windows users tell me that it is unnecesary as Defender does the job
> well enough. I am also told that AV on android is not needed?
> If this is true I can scrap my F-secure package?
> Is this tru?

90% true. There's an outside chance the AV might prevent (or at least
warn) you from doing something silly. If you're just using apps from
Google Play, and browse sensibly, you shouldn't need AV on Android (and
on Windows, Defender is pretty good anyway).

Re: Android AV

<k3gaaiFfqgbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37005&group=comp.mobile.android#37005

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 26 Jan 2023 21:40:34 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 21:40 UTC

On 2023-01-26, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> it's not an either/or. they very definitely use an internal team.
>>> the bounties are in addition to that.
>>
>> Hi nospam,
>>
>> Apple doesn't even have a QA team to speak of.
>>
>> Why then does Apple have not only the lowest R&D expenditures, bar
>> none, in _all_ of high tech (with much smaller companies spending
>> more R&D dollars),
>
> Oh, you stepped in it there, Arlen!
>
> "more R&D dollars"?
>
> Really?
>
> Which "much smaller companies" spend more "dollars" on R&D, Arlen?
>
> Not a greater PERCENTAGE, but actual NUMBERS OF DOLLARS.

Arlen is, as usual, completely full of shit. ; ) As of 2019, Apple
spends nearly $15 BILLION a year on R&D:

Apple is now one of the biggest investors in research and development,
and critics are wondering what it's getting for its money
<https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-research-and-development-self-driving-cars-augmented-reality-2019-3?op=1>
---
Apple has been massively ramping up its spending on research and
development in recent years.

It now spends nearly $15 billion a year, giving it one of the biggest
corporate R&D budgets in the world.
---

JR

Re: Android AV

<tqvfda$2l7cg$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37007&group=comp.mobile.android#37007

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 03:11:52 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 03:11 UTC

Jolly Roger wrote:

> Apple has been massively ramping up its spending on research and
> development in recent years.

It's no longer shocking that the iKooks _forget_ we discussed in detail
that Apple has the lowest R&D spend in _all_ similar high tech companies,
both in terms of percent of revenue, and, in some cases, in actual dollars
where much smaller companies outspend Apple in R&D dollars alone.

*Nobody spends _less_ than Apple in R&D*

We covered this in gory detail, but you iKooks can't ever learn anything.
You spend all your time brazenly denying facts even Apple doesn't deny.

Steve Jobs constantly had to come up with excuses for Apple's tiny R&D.
So does Tim Cook.

*Apple spends the _least_ in R&D of all similar high-tech companies*

Re: Android AV

<tqvfog$1h94v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37008&group=comp.mobile.android#37008

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:17:35 -0800
 by: Alan - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 03:17 UTC

On 2023-01-26 19:11, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> Apple has been massively ramping up its spending on research and
>> development in recent years.
>
> It's no longer shocking that the iKooks _forget_ we discussed in detail
> that Apple has the lowest R&D spend in _all_ similar high tech companies,
> both in terms of percent of revenue, and, in some cases, in actual dollars
> where much smaller companies outspend Apple in R&D dollars alone.
>
>    *Nobody spends _less_ than Apple in R&D*

I'm sorry (not really), but that's complete bullshit.

Re: Android AV

<k3h33pFjd5eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37009&group=comp.mobile.android#37009

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 27 Jan 2023 04:43:37 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 04:43 UTC

On 2023-01-27, Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> Apple has been massively ramping up its spending on research and
>> development in recent years.
>
> Apple has the lowest R&D spend in _all_ similar high tech companies

Wrong. Apple spends $15 BILLION a year on research and development,
which is objectively more than every other high tech company. Arlen
*hates* facts about Apple. Apple lives in Arlen's head 24/7 rent free.
He is so *tormented* by a company he irrationally hates that he
literally spends every minute of every day trolling the Apple news
groups telling absolute *lies* in a lame attempt to disrupt the Apple
news groups. He is a pathetic and sad excuse of a human being.

JR