I have never seen anything fill up a vacuum so fast and still suck. -- Rob Pike, on X.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Windows Photo Viewer replacement

SubjectAuthor
* Windows Photo Viewer replacementPeter Johnson
+* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementPaul
|`* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementPeter Johnson
| +* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementChar Jackson
| |+- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementPaul
| |+- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementVanguardLH
| |`* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementPeter Johnson
| | +* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementPaul
| | |`* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementPeter Johnson
| | | `* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementPaul
| | |  +- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementknuttle
| | |  `- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementkelown
| | `* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementKen Blake
| |  +- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementVanguardLH
| |  `- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementZaidy036
| `- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementRoger Mills
+* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementslate_leeper
|`* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementT
| `* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacements|b
|  `- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementT
+- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementknuttle
+* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementMayayana
|`* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementJ. P. Gilliver (John)
| +* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementKen Blake
| |+- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementPaul
| |`- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementwasbit
| +- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementknuttle
| `- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementMayayana
+- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementVanguardLH
+- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementSnowshed.
+- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementPeter Johnson
+* Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementBoris
|`- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementJ. P. Gilliver (John)
`- Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacementCommander Keen

Pages:12
Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<echk9ghe47j0r68t6lc9p5q1c9bfho8uu0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44263&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44263

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows Photo Viewer replacement
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 09:59:26 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Tue, 11 May 2021 08:59 UTC

I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer to replace
Windows Photo Viewer which has served well for many years.
Don't want or need image management or anything fancy. Just want to be
able to click on an image to view it and then use a back/forward arrow
to view other images in the same folder.
Thanks.

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<s7dj97$vi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44264&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44264

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 05:37:41 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 11 May 2021 09:37 UTC

Peter Johnson wrote:
> I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer to replace
> Windows Photo Viewer which has served well for many years.
> Don't want or need image management or anything fancy. Just want to be
> able to click on an image to view it and then use a back/forward arrow
> to view other images in the same folder.
> Thanks.

Would you have been using the Photos.App and weren't happy
with the feature set ? There might be a Windows 7 like version
of Photo Viewer still in there, in Windows 10.

*******

The following article is intended to make the older Photo Viewer
(win32) application available again, for selection.

https://www.howtogeek.com/225844/how-to-make-windows-photo-viewer-your-default-image-viewer-on-windows-10/

https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Activate-Windows-Photo-Viewer-on-Windows-10.zip

There are two REG files to right-click and "Merge" in there.
You want the "activate" one to turn it ON.

Turn on System Protection in the System Control Panel and
manually create a Restore Point, if you want to "reverse"
registry changes ten minutes from now.

The package does have an activate and deactivate .reg file,
so there's that too. It doesn't actually leave you in the dark.
It has the usual tenforum best practices.

According to the lines of text inside the .reg files,
the active ingredient is "photoviewer.dll". Which
means the launch of that thing, is shielded by
something like "rundll32" or similar. The DLL can't
run by itself, without help. And maybe this is an
attempt to stop people from moving it from OS to OS.

There's also a Windows Photo Viewer directory in
Program Files, if you need to check the whereabouts
of "photoviewer.dll".

Paul

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<c0tk9gpqtsd6fvgkuk9ojf0ii0crgpph07@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44268&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44268

From: lcgh-e...@xemaps.com (slate_leeper)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 08:13:01 -0400
 by: slate_leeper - Tue, 11 May 2021 12:13 UTC

On Tue, 11 May 2021 09:59:26 +0100, Peter Johnson
<peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer to replace
>Windows Photo Viewer which has served well for many years.
>Don't want or need image management or anything fancy. Just want to be
>able to click on an image to view it and then use a back/forward arrow
>to view other images in the same folder.
>Thanks.

IrfanView (free) works just like that, but also offers lots of other
things (which you just ignore until you need them).

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<s7dsg9$h15$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44269&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44269

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 08:15:03 -0400
 by: knuttle - Tue, 11 May 2021 12:15 UTC

On 5/11/2021 4:59 AM, Peter Johnson wrote:
> I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer to replace
> Windows Photo Viewer which has served well for many years.
> Don't want or need image management or anything fancy. Just want to be
> able to click on an image to view it and then use a back/forward arrow
> to view other images in the same folder.
> Thanks..

This has been recomended many times for request like these, but since it
is the best photo view out there, I will recommend it again.

Irfanviw is a small, fast, easily used photo viewer program.

Without the plugins it is less that 4MB, and dsoes all of the basic
photo manipulations functions.

With the plugins it can do many things including ORC.

Did I say it is free. If not that is one of its strong points though
the author asked for a donation.

https://www.irfanview.com

It has a permanent place on my toolbar and is used many times per day.
One use is to copy pictures from the web so that I can zoom them to see
more detail than I can in the web picture even when I zoom the browser

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<s7dsrn$nuo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44270&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44270

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 08:20:10 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Tue, 11 May 2021 12:20 UTC

"Peter Johnson" <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote

| I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer

As slate_leeper said, IrfanView. It's flawless. It's free.
It's small and lightweight. It's one of the few really
good programs still around that's not just a bloated
wrapper around other peoples' code. All done by one
person, Irfan Skildjan, who started it as a college
student, over 20 years ago. (If you like it you can
donate. He provides an address in the help, under the topic
of Find newest IrfanView version -> Update/Contact.)

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<wsuMw5QGIpmgFwfK@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44271&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44271

Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 15:17:42 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 11 May 2021 14:17 UTC

On Tue, 11 May 2021 at 08:20:10, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>"Peter Johnson" <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote
>
>| I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer
>
> As slate_leeper said, IrfanView. It's flawless. It's free.
>It's small and lightweight. It's one of the few really
>good programs still around that's not just a bloated
>wrapper around other peoples' code. All done by one
>person, Irfan Skildjan, who started it as a college
>student, over 20 years ago. (If you like it you can
>donate. He provides an address in the help, under the topic
>of Find newest IrfanView version -> Update/Contact.)

Another vote. Basically, it just _works_. Forward (to next file) with
space, back with backspace (there are arrows you can click too); it's
also _fast_ - except _huge_ images, I'm not aware of it, whereas just
about _any_ other viewer, I am.

Apologies to [those] who may have been harmed by the scientific inaccuracies
in this post. - Roger Tilbury in UMRA, 2018-3-14

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<ifvkavFe4reU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44272&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44272

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 07:57:35 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 11 May 2021 14:57 UTC

On 5/11/2021 7:17 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2021 at 08:20:10, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>>"Peter Johnson" <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote
>>
>>| I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer
>>
>> As slate_leeper said, IrfanView. It's flawless. It's free.
>>It's small and lightweight. It's one of the few really
>>good programs still around that's not just a bloated
>>wrapper around other peoples' code. All done by one
>>person, Irfan Skildjan, who started it as a college
>>student, over 20 years ago. (If you like it you can
>>donate. He provides an address in the help, under the topic
>>of Find newest IrfanView version -> Update/Contact.)
>>

> Another vote. Basically, it just _works_. Forward (to next file) with
> space, back with backspace (there are arrows you can click too); it's
> also _fast_ - except _huge_ images, I'm not aware of it, whereas just
> about _any_ other viewer, I am.

I think that's four of you recommending IrfanView. I'll add myself as
the fifth.

--
Ken

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<h67l9g9j93kndagmn9mhtc9485m0893n2v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44273&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44273

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 16:17:13 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Tue, 11 May 2021 15:17 UTC

On Tue, 11 May 2021 05:37:41 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>Peter Johnson wrote:
>> I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer to replace
>> Windows Photo Viewer which has served well for many years.
>> Don't want or need image management or anything fancy. Just want to be
>> able to click on an image to view it and then use a back/forward arrow
>> to view other images in the same folder.
>> Thanks.
>
>Would you have been using the Photos.App and weren't happy
>with the feature set ? There might be a Windows 7 like version
>of Photo Viewer still in there, in Windows 10.

It was the old Windows Photo Viewer that I've been using but there's
something about the jpgs produced by my new phone (Samsung Galaxy S10)
that it doesn't like, displaying an error message about low memory,
but it will open the same jpgs if processed through Paint Shop Pro and
re-saved.
The latest Win 10 Insider build has caused the Photo Viwer to vanish
and the problem with some images detered me from trying the reg fix to
see if it could be recovered.
Having posted my message I did what I should have done before and
checked the MS Store, where I found a free app called One Photo Viewer
which does what I want.

I do have Irfanview installed and have used it for giving slide shows
with a projector, replacing a 35mm machine.Obviously I haven't spent
enough time with it to work out how to use it as a straight forward
image viewer.
Thanks for all replies.

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<tjdl9g1snd3h8or41m24mfkpvtpeqq8flp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44274&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44274

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 11:59:11 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Tue, 11 May 2021 16:59 UTC

On Tue, 11 May 2021 16:17:13 +0100, Peter Johnson
<peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 May 2021 05:37:41 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>Peter Johnson wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer to replace
>>> Windows Photo Viewer which has served well for many years.
>>> Don't want or need image management or anything fancy. Just want to be
>>> able to click on an image to view it and then use a back/forward arrow
>>> to view other images in the same folder.
>>> Thanks.
>>
>>Would you have been using the Photos.App and weren't happy
>>with the feature set ? There might be a Windows 7 like version
>>of Photo Viewer still in there, in Windows 10.
>>
>It was the old Windows Photo Viewer that I've been using but there's
>something about the jpgs produced by my new phone (Samsung Galaxy S10)
>that it doesn't like, displaying an error message about low memory,
>but it will open the same jpgs if processed through Paint Shop Pro and
>re-saved.

I have the Samsung Galaxy S20 and I've seen no problems viewing jpgs with
Windows Photo Viewer in Win 10. Before the S20, I had the S7 and before
that the S3, no problems with any of those, as well.

As far as photo viewers go, I haven't found anything that beats Windows
Photo Viewer. It's one of the few things that Microsoft got right. I've
tried IrfanView in the past, based on recommendations here, and quickly
dumped it. Others seem to like it, though.

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<s7el93$o37$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44278&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44278

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 15:17:54 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 11 May 2021 19:17 UTC

Char Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2021 16:17:13 +0100, Peter Johnson
> <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 May 2021 05:37:41 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Would you have been using the Photos.App and weren't happy
>>> with the feature set ? There might be a Windows 7 like version
>>> of Photo Viewer still in there, in Windows 10.
>>>
>> It was the old Windows Photo Viewer that I've been using but there's
>> something about the jpgs produced by my new phone (Samsung Galaxy S10)
>> that it doesn't like, displaying an error message about low memory,
>> but it will open the same jpgs if processed through Paint Shop Pro and
>> re-saved.
>
> I have the Samsung Galaxy S20 and I've seen no problems viewing jpgs with
> Windows Photo Viewer in Win 10. Before the S20, I had the S7 and before
> that the S3, no problems with any of those, as well.
>
> As far as photo viewers go, I haven't found anything that beats Windows
> Photo Viewer. It's one of the few things that Microsoft got right. I've
> tried IrfanView in the past, based on recommendations here, and quickly
> dumped it. Others seem to like it, though.

That's a weird one, that it's reporting low memory.

https://superuser.com/questions/1509194/windows-photo-viewer-cant-run-because-not-enough-memory

"I dig this issue because I had similar problem with photos
exported from Android "Send Reduced Free" application.

This issue in my case is related to included Profile-icc in that JPG file.

Profiles:
Profile-icc: 536 bytes

It can be verified with ImageMagick identify -verbose command. "

Then the thread goes on and on, with nerdy ways to fix an image.
Like anyone is going to go all through that rubbish just
so they can use Photo Viewer :-/

What's needed, is a way to do this, without causing the JPG to recompress.
And preferably, on the Android side, before Exporting for the trip to WindowsLand.
Maybe a slightly different workflow on the Android side is the lever needed.

Imagemagick is fine and all, but you have to decide which version
to install and so on. The two choices I picked here, would be for
a "naive image guy" like me, who doesn't receive a lot of fancy images.
Static means it doesn't use DLLs, which means if you copy one of their
EXE files somewhere, it might still work. And 8 bits per pixel, is
suitable for 24 bit color and an 8 bit alpha channel (whatever that is).
The first file is for a 64-bit Windows install, the second for a 32-bit
Windows install.

https://imagemagick.org/script/download.php#windows

ImageMagick-7.0.11-12-Q8-x64-static.exe Win64 static at 8 BPP component
ImageMagick-7.0.11-12-Q8-x86-static.exe Win32 static at 8 BPP component

The people at ImageMagick love to code. They messed around with
how the commands work. They decided to change the code to use
OpenMP (that's multi-core usage of the CPU, to speed things up).
When I tried that version, and opened some image, the machine
froze solid. This is what happens when OpenMP requests "malloc"
on all CPU cores at the same time, funny as hell :-) Windows
wasn't ready for that. That's since been fixed in Windows I
believe, so the risk is currently low of it freezing the machine.
(I don't class the issue as something OpenMP should fix.)
To recover from that, I pressed the Reset button on the front
of the computer. That's a bit easier on the hard drive. The OS then
has to clean up the file system a bit, but you won't even notice
that. It would suck to lose work, because of the computer
freezing solid while fiddling with Imagemagick.

Anyway, that's a theory on a root cause. ICC Profile inclusion,
and maybe a particular way of writing it out.

Paul

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<s7elmk$bm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44279&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44279

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 15:25:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 11 May 2021 19:25 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> On 5/11/2021 7:17 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 May 2021 at 08:20:10, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
>> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>>> "Peter Johnson" <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote

>>> As slate_leeper said, IrfanView. It's flawless. It's free.
>>> It's small and lightweight. It's one of the few really
>>> good programs still around that's not just a bloated
>>> wrapper around other peoples' code. All done by one
>>> person, Irfan Skildjan, who started it as a college
>>> student, over 20 years ago. (If you like it you can
>>> donate. He provides an address in the help, under the topic
>>> of Find newest IrfanView version -> Update/Contact.)
>>>

>> Another vote. Basically, it just _works_. Forward (to next file) with
>> space, back with backspace (there are arrows you can click too); it's
>> also _fast_ - except _huge_ images, I'm not aware of it, whereas just
>> about _any_ other viewer, I am.
>

> I think that's four of you recommending IrfanView. I'll add myself as
> the fifth.

I use Irfanview for the batch convert function.

But generally, not for folder traversal and preview.

The Windows Photo Viewer is pretty good for that. Especially
if it's set up to open the images by default (and I can save
drag and drop for editing).

One of the impressive parts of Irfanview, is how fast
it can fill memory while it works. If I write code, my
code can do about 300MB/sec (that's because I refuse to
spend time sprinkling alignment pragmas in the code).
Whereas Irfanview can load memory at around 2GB/sec on
my slow machine. YMMV. One benefit of fast loading,
is if "something isn't going to fit", you find out faster.
I've tried stuff like loading 64Kx64K images. (You can generate
stuff like that with Microsoft ICE panorama software plus
a shitload of pictures.)

Paul

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<sya4ymfb5j5o.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44282&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44282

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 16:35:20 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 11 May 2021 21:35 UTC

Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

> I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer to replace
> Windows Photo Viewer which has served well for many years. Don't want
> or need image management or anything fancy. Just want to be able to
> click on an image to view it and then use a back/forward arrow to
> view other images in the same folder.

As many here have already suggested, and what I first started with,
Irfanview is a very good choice. Eventually I had both Irfanview and
XnView to bounce between them while trialing both, and decided later not
to have duplicate software and went with XnView. I didn't go with
XnView MP, but instead preferred XnView Classic. XnView Classic is just
on Windows while XnView MP is cross-platform, but I don't need that yet.
Irfanview is just on the Windows platform, but then that's all I'm using
at home, so far. If I was preparing for migration to or incorporating a
Linux platform, then I'd install and acquaint myself with XnView MP.
The MP and Classic GUIs are very similar, so little learning curve.

The GUI for XnView (MP or Classic) is very much like that of
File/Windows Explorer. Irfanview's GUI is more retro, but not bad at
all. Like File/Windows Explorer, you can show the folders tree and a
thumbnail viewer section. As I recall for Irfanview, you have to open a
separate Thumbnails viewer (shows a folder tree and thumbnail viewer).

https://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/
https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

https://www.irfanview.com/

You can install both (they don't conflict with each other) to see which
one you prefer. Both are free, *and* no ads; i.e., they're not "free"
adware. Neither is crippleware, either. You aren't stuck with freemium
software that lures you to a payware version. However, they are free
only for private, educational use, or non-profit (not for-profit) use.
You need to get the payware versions if you use them for business use.
Just because you before used the included and free viewer bundled in
Windows does not mandate non-commercial use.

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<s7ethb$n8q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44283&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44283

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 17:38:49 -0400
 by: knuttle - Tue, 11 May 2021 21:38 UTC

On 5/11/2021 10:17 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2021 at 08:20:10, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>> "Peter Johnson" <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote
>>
>> | I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer
>>
>>  As slate_leeper said, IrfanView. It's flawless. It's free.
>> It's small and lightweight. It's one of the few really
>> good programs still around that's not just a bloated
>> wrapper around other peoples' code. All done by one
>> person, Irfan Skildjan, who started it as a college
>> student, over 20 years ago. (If you like it you can
>> donate. He provides an address in the help, under the topic
>> of Find newest IrfanView version -> Update/Contact.)
>>

> Another vote. Basically, it just _works_. Forward (to next file) with
> space, back with backspace (there are arrows you can click too); it's
> also _fast_ - except _huge_ images, I'm not aware of it, whereas just
> about _any_ other viewer, I am.
One additional comment about Irfanview.

If you have large image files you may wish to install Irfanview 64bit
instead of Irfanview 32bit. I use the 32bit version, but the 64bit
versin handles the much larger files. I stayed with the 32bit version
as the OCR addon will not work in the 64bit version.

To my knowledge Irfanview is capable of openning the largest number of
image formats of any image processing progarm I know

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<3duubw46qk9o.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44285&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44285

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 16:52:45 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 11 May 2021 21:52 UTC

Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

> Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>
>> It was the old Windows Photo Viewer that I've been using but there's
>> something about the jpgs produced by my new phone (Samsung Galaxy
>> S10) that it doesn't like, displaying an error message about low
>> memory, but it will open the same jpgs if processed through Paint
>> Shop Pro and re-saved.
>
> I have the Samsung Galaxy S20 and I've seen no problems viewing jpgs with
> Windows Photo Viewer in Win 10. Before the S20, I had the S7 and before
> that the S3, no problems with any of those, as well.
>
> As far as photo viewers go, I haven't found anything that beats Windows
> Photo Viewer. It's one of the few things that Microsoft got right. I've
> tried IrfanView in the past, based on recommendations here, and quickly
> dumped it. Others seem to like it, though.

I've never used the bundled photo viewer in Windows (always wanted
something better with 3rd party software), but I'm wondering if Photo
Viewer has a limitation on the size of image files it can handle. Could
be you are snapping and saving photos that are lower resolution than for
Peter. While high resolution sounds great, often it's nearly impossible
to see any difference compared to lower resolutions.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/shell-experience/cannot-open-high-resolution-file-photo-gallery

Photo Gallery had, I believe, a limit of 100 megapixels for an image.
THe article above mentions a registry edit to up the max size threshold;
however, there's probably some side effect in trying to get a less
capable viewer to open huge image files, like you'll wait a long time
for the image to load, and doing anything to the photo could take a lot
longer. Opening a larger file means more memory consumption, and which
is not linear or proportional to the file size. Users have reported 8GB
memory consumption to load a 150MB image file, like the compressed JPG
gets decompressed to a giant bitmap image. Then there's the color depth
to consider which adds more info per pixel. Users often forget that
JPEGs are compressed images, and the compression is impressive.

Searching online shows users complaining photos could be too big to view
using the bundled tools in Windows 7, but the same photos opened okay in
Windows 10. So, the bundled viewers in 10 are more robust or handle
larger image files than the bundled viewers in 7. Old viewers haven't
keep up with the ever increasing pixel dimensions that newer cameras can
support.

Opening an image file, like a JPEG, and then re-saving it likely
involved a change in compression level. I don't recall you got a choice
on saving an image file from Photo Viewer. It was just a viewer. PSP,
Irfanview, XnView, and other viewers, especially those capable of
editing the image, provide for choice of compression level, and the
default could be different than for the original image.

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<s7f0ss$nbn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44288&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44288

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 15:36:11 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 11 May 2021 22:36 UTC

On 5/11/21 5:13 AM, slate_leeper wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2021 09:59:26 +0100, Peter Johnson
> <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer to replace
>> Windows Photo Viewer which has served well for many years.
>> Don't want or need image management or anything fancy. Just want to be
>> able to click on an image to view it and then use a back/forward arrow
>> to view other images in the same folder.
>> Thanks.
>

> IrfanView (free) works just like that, but also offers lots of other
> things (which you just ignore until you need them).
>
> -dan z-

1+

I install Irfanview on all new computer I setup.

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<s7g4nf$6ta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44293&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44293

From: wasbitre...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 09:47:42 +0100
 by: wasbit - Wed, 12 May 2021 08:47 UTC

"Ken Blake" <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
> On 5/11/2021 7:17 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 May 2021 at 08:20:10, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
>> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>>>"Peter Johnson" <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote

>>> As slate_leeper said, IrfanView. It's flawless. It's free.
>>>It's small and lightweight. It's one of the few really
>>>good programs still around that's not just a bloated
>>>wrapper around other peoples' code. All done by one
>>>person, Irfan Skildjan, who started it as a college
>>>student, over 20 years ago. (If you like it you can
>>>donate. He provides an address in the help, under the topic
>>>of Find newest IrfanView version -> Update/Contact.)
>>>

>> Another vote. Basically, it just _works_. Forward (to next file) with
>> space, back with backspace (there are arrows you can click too); it's
>> also _fast_ - except _huge_ images, I'm not aware of it, whereas just
>> about _any_ other viewer, I am.
>

> I think that's four of you recommending IrfanView. I'll add myself as the
> fifth.

IrfanView is, & has been for a number of years, my default image viewer.
I can only add to the praise & recommendations of this thread.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<s7gk8o$l71$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44298&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44298

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 09:11:54 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 12 May 2021 13:11 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote

| Another vote. Basically, it just _works_. Forward (to next file) with
| space, back with backspace (there are arrows you can click too); it's
| also _fast_ - except _huge_ images, I'm not aware of it, whereas just
| about _any_ other viewer, I am.

I also made my own viewer for folders. It's rare that I
actually want to view a large collection of files. If I do it's
usually to pick one for some use. So I made an HTA viewer.
It loads 100px thumbnails of all BMP/JPG/GIF images in the
folder I suppose it would work with PNG now. If I click on
a thumbnail it displays the image as large as possible on the
left side of the window. If I click that large image it disappears.
Nice for a quick search, but doesn't handle TIF.
(It could have keyboard shortcuts, too, though I didn't
code for that. But it could be designed to use ALT+CTL+SHIFT+F
to go forward. Fun, huh? :)

The kick of this is that it's entirely done with IE. The IE
rendering engine is so powerful that it can resize and display
images in a remarkably brief time. It also loads progressively.
For example, I just dropped a folder containing 9 jpgs totalling
55 MBs. Within 2 seconds they begin to appear. All are showing
in about 5 seconds. Even the resizing is surprisingly good,
stepping a 5000+ pixel wide image down to 100 pixels wide.
I don't think I can do it as well or as fast with anything I know
of. The fastest method I've ever found is using an OSS library
called turbojpeg. MS saves the good stuff for themselves. :)

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<s7gpvd$552$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44303&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44303

From: kcomptu...@q.com (Snowshed.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 08:50:20 -0600
 by: Snowshed. - Wed, 12 May 2021 14:50 UTC

On 5/11/21 2:59 AM, Peter Johnson wrote:
> I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer to replace
> Windows Photo Viewer which has served well for many years.
> Don't want or need image management or anything fancy. Just want to be
> able to click on an image to view it and then use a back/forward arrow
> to view other images in the same folder.
> Thanks.

10-15 years ago, I used a program called Graphics Workshop, and it's
still around.

http://www.mindworkshop.com/gwspro.html

Anyone ever try it?

--
Ken
MacOS 10.14.6

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<ig2a41Fu4akU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44306&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44306

From: watt.ty...@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 16:21:37 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Wed, 12 May 2021 15:21 UTC

On 11/05/2021 16:17, Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2021 05:37:41 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Peter Johnson wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer to replace
>>> Windows Photo Viewer which has served well for many years.
>>> Don't want or need image management or anything fancy. Just want to be
>>> able to click on an image to view it and then use a back/forward arrow
>>> to view other images in the same folder.
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Would you have been using the Photos.App and weren't happy
>> with the feature set ? There might be a Windows 7 like version
>> of Photo Viewer still in there, in Windows 10.
>>
> It was the old Windows Photo Viewer that I've been using but there's
> something about the jpgs produced by my new phone (Samsung Galaxy S10)
> that it doesn't like, displaying an error message about low memory,
> but it will open the same jpgs if processed through Paint Shop Pro and
> re-saved.
> The latest Win 10 Insider build has caused the Photo Viwer to vanish
> and the problem with some images detered me from trying the reg fix to
> see if it could be recovered.
> Having posted my message I did what I should have done before and
> checked the MS Store, where I found a free app called One Photo Viewer
> which does what I want.
>
> I do have Irfanview installed and have used it for giving slide shows
> with a projector, replacing a 35mm machine.Obviously I haven't spent
> enough time with it to work out how to use it as a straight forward
> image viewer.
> Thanks for all replies.

It comes with a companion program called Irfan View Thumbnails. This
displays thumbnails of all the pictures in a folder (or in a complete
tree if you prefer). You can sort the thumbnails into various orders -
name, file date. EXIF date, etc. Double-clicking on a thumbnail displays
the picture in Irfanview. Once you've displayed a picture, you can
scroll through its neighbours by using the right or left arrows. Or
shift/A starts or stops an automatic slide show.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<mc7q9gdo1vnj2nj6fe83apo47pitkhnt9l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44335&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44335

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 13:40:59 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Thu, 13 May 2021 12:40 UTC

On Tue, 11 May 2021 17:18:21 +0100, ? Good Guy ?
<Hello.World@example.com> wrote:

>On 11/05/2021 09:59, Peter Johnson wrote:
>I'm looking for a simple, straight forward image viewer to replace
>Windows Photo Viewer which has served well for many years.
>

>So why change it? Windows Photo Viewer is still working and it is updated as and when necessary. All you need to do is to double-click on the image and it opens automatically. why change it.

That's a turnround. It's not that long ago that you were criticising
me for recommending it.

>What exactly are you looking for in a photo viewer?

One that works with the (jpg) images produced on my phone. Otherwise I
have no complaint about it.

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<gm7q9gddisgkkncskj545h3a2rhco6f0t9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44337&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44337

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 13:48:52 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Thu, 13 May 2021 12:48 UTC

On Tue, 11 May 2021 11:59:11 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 11 May 2021 16:17:13 +0100, Peter Johnson
><peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 11 May 2021 05:37:41 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>It was the old Windows Photo Viewer that I've been using but there's
>>something about the jpgs produced by my new phone (Samsung Galaxy S10)
>>that it doesn't like, displaying an error message about low memory,
>>but it will open the same jpgs if processed through Paint Shop Pro and
>>re-saved.
>
>I have the Samsung Galaxy S20 and I've seen no problems viewing jpgs with
>Windows Photo Viewer in Win 10. Before the S20, I had the S7 and before
>that the S3, no problems with any of those, as well.
>
>As far as photo viewers go, I haven't found anything that beats Windows
>Photo Viewer. It's one of the few things that Microsoft got right. I've
>tried IrfanView in the past, based on recommendations here, and quickly
>dumped it. Others seem to like it, though.

The problem seems to be one of those things that infect Windows, go on
for years, with various iterations on the OS, affect thousands,
possibly millions, of users and no-one really has any idea of what
causes them or how to fix them.

There are dozens of messages about this issue with the photo viewer,
this one picked at random:
https://superuser.com/questions/1509194/windows-photo-viewer-cant-run-because-not-enough-memory

In my case the problems is not caused by the number of programs open
or a shortage of memory.
Wouldn't argue with the idea of it being something to do with file
size vis a vis photo viewer.

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<ig4nbuFdmfkU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44340&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44340

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 15:19:59 +0200
 by: s|b - Thu, 13 May 2021 13:19 UTC

On Tue, 11 May 2021 15:36:11 -0700, T wrote:

> 1+

+2

--
s|b

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<s7jbc2$pl6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44342&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44342

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 09:59:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 13 May 2021 13:59 UTC

Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2021 11:59:11 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 May 2021 16:17:13 +0100, Peter Johnson
>> <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>>> It was the old Windows Photo Viewer that I've been using but there's
>>> something about the jpgs produced by my new phone (Samsung Galaxy S10)
>>> that it doesn't like, displaying an error message about low memory,
>>> but it will open the same jpgs if processed through Paint Shop Pro and
>>> re-saved.
>> I have the Samsung Galaxy S20 and I've seen no problems viewing jpgs with
>> Windows Photo Viewer in Win 10. Before the S20, I had the S7 and before
>> that the S3, no problems with any of those, as well.
>>
>> As far as photo viewers go, I haven't found anything that beats Windows
>> Photo Viewer. It's one of the few things that Microsoft got right. I've
>> tried IrfanView in the past, based on recommendations here, and quickly
>> dumped it. Others seem to like it, though.
>
> The problem seems to be one of those things that infect Windows, go on
> for years, with various iterations on the OS, affect thousands,
> possibly millions, of users and no-one really has any idea of what
> causes them or how to fix them.
>
> There are dozens of messages about this issue with the photo viewer,
> this one picked at random:
> https://superuser.com/questions/1509194/windows-photo-viewer-cant-run-because-not-enough-memory
>
> In my case the problems is not caused by the number of programs open
> or a shortage of memory.
> Wouldn't argue with the idea of it being something to do with file
> size vis a vis photo viewer.

Didn't you see my other post ?

The root cause is the ICC Profile added to the JPG.
It throws the Photo Viewer into the ditch.

Try to fix this on the Android end - make
pictures without that profile added to it.

Paul

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<ig508fFfhofU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44346&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44346

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 08:51:43 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 13 May 2021 15:51 UTC

On 5/13/2021 5:48 AM, Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2021 11:59:11 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 11 May 2021 16:17:13 +0100, Peter Johnson
>><peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>>>It was the old Windows Photo Viewer that I've been using but there's
>>>something about the jpgs produced by my new phone (Samsung Galaxy S10)
>>>that it doesn't like, displaying an error message about low memory,
>>>but it will open the same jpgs if processed through Paint Shop Pro and
>>>re-saved.
>>
>>I have the Samsung Galaxy S20 and I've seen no problems viewing jpgs with
>>Windows Photo Viewer in Win 10. Before the S20, I had the S7 and before
>>that the S3, no problems with any of those, as well.
>>
>>As far as photo viewers go, I haven't found anything that beats Windows
>>Photo Viewer. It's one of the few things that Microsoft got right. I've
>>tried IrfanView in the past, based on recommendations here, and quickly
>>dumped it. Others seem to like it, though.
>
> The problem seems to be one of those things that infect Windows, go on
> for years, with various iterations on the OS, affect thousands,
> possibly millions, of users and no-one really has any idea of what
> causes them or how to fix them.
>
> There are dozens of messages about this issue with the photo viewer,
> this one picked at random:
> https://superuser.com/questions/1509194/windows-photo-viewer-cant-run-because-not-enough-memory
>
> In my case the problems is not caused by the number of programs open
> or a shortage of memory.

I can't help with your problem, but a quick comment about the sentence
above: Problems are never caused by the *number* of programs open.
Problems can be caused by how much memory they use or how much of the
CPU they use.

Posts in newsgroups and web forums often contain the advice to check how
many programs start automatically and reduce their number. It's always
poor advice. Their number is irrelevant. What's important is *which*
programs start automatically--what the programs do, not how many of them
there are.

--
Ken

Re: Windows Photo Viewer replacement

<12mab4fqxn474.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44357&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44357

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 15:08:58 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 13 May 2021 20:08 UTC

Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:

> Posts in newsgroups and web forums often contain the advice to check
> how many programs start automatically and reduce their number. It's
> always poor advice. Their number is irrelevant. What's important is
> *which* programs start automatically--what the programs do, not how
> many of them there are.

Incorrect. The more processes that are running then the more context
switching is needed to give each a slice of CPU time. Since each is
running, each gets some time, and the more that are competing for more
time then the slower the computer becomes. You *can* overwhelm a CPU
with excessive context switching. You can try to manage priorities to
get some less critical processes to consume less CPU, but they are still
running, so they all consume some CPU cycles. While a new feature
showed up that can put loaded processes in suspended state, not all
programs are coded to allow suspension. Also, a suspended process
results in locking its DLLs into memory, even when the process is
obviously not running, so it is doing anything. Since the DLLs are
locked, they cannot get updated. Programs that attempt to stay loaded
by using one process to monitor the other, and the 2nd to monitor the
1st, to reload the killed process will return an exception (on the
suspended process), and obviously a suspended process that is no longer
allowed to execute means it cannot monitor anything whether it be for
the presence of another process, hardware interrupts, or any other
event. Suspended state was to alleviate CPU load on non-critical
processes, but which would perform more smoothly or faster if they were
merely suspended instead of having to reload their memory image from
disk. Flooding your CPU with superfluous, non-critical, or lingering
processes is not a good idea. Still adds work to the CPU.

And as for memory, no matter how small their footprint, more processes
will consume more memory. Programs on storage media do not execute.
They must be loaded into memory to run from there. Even the pagefile on
disk does not run processes, but holds blocks of the memory image until
they get reloaded back into memory to run from there. Even tons of tiny
processes will still consume lots of memory.

In addition, a process' image loaded into memory is not necessarily the
only memory it requires. It may later need to load or create a data
block, like for games that load and then load textures and objects into
memory when you later load a map for a mission. If you consume all
available memory, there is no more for the program to further allocate
for its own later use. Eating up all the available memory, and forcing
use of the pagefile, will obviously slow down or even hang the computer.

Guess you've never ran across a malicious site that keeps opening more
and more windows in your web browser. Your computer keeps getting
slower as each new process to handle the new window gets loaded into
memory. Doesn't require a huge memory footprint for each window, but
thousands upon thousands of them is a deliberate attempt to so severely
impact the responsiveness of the computer that it becomes unusable, and
most users would assume it is hung, because they won't wait an hour for
a keypress to get recognized and its action taken. It isn't just that
each instance consumed more memory, but it's also that each instance
requires some CPU cycles, and the excessive context switching between
processes brings down the system.