computers / comp.mobile.android / iPhone Question

SubjectAuthor
* iPhone QuestionThe Real Bev
+* Re: iPhone QuestionChris in Makati
|`* Re: iPhone QuestionDave Roya
| `- Re: iPhone QuestionJörg Lorenz
+* Re: iPhone QuestionVanguardLH
|+* Re: iPhone Questioncandycanearter07
||+- Re: iPhone QuestionJörg Lorenz
||`- Re: iPhone QuestionThe Real Bev
|+* Re: iPhone QuestionJörg Lorenz
||+* Re: iPhone QuestionVanguardLH
|||+* Re: iPhone QuestionThe Real Bev
|||`* Re: iPhone QuestionJörg Lorenz
||| `* Re: iPhone QuestionVanguardLH
|||  `- Re: iPhone QuestionJörg Lorenz
||`* Re: iPhone QuestionChris in Makati
|| `* Re: iPhone QuestionThe Real Bev
||  +- Re: iPhone QuestionChris
||  `- Re: iPhone Questioncandycanearter07
|`* Re: iPhone QuestionWally J
| +* Re: iPhone QuestionVanguardLH
| |`- Re: iPhone QuestionWally J
| `* Re: iPhone QuestionChris
|  `* Re: iPhone QuestionVanguardLH
|   `* Re: iPhone QuestionWally J
|    `- Re: iPhone QuestionAlan
+* Re: iPhone QuestionJörg Lorenz
|`* Re: iPhone QuestionVanguardLH
| +* Re: iPhone QuestionThe Real Bev
| |`* Re: iPhone Questionsms
| | +* Re: iPhone Questioncandycanearter07
| | |`* Re: iPhone Questionsms
| | | +- Re: iPhone Questioncandycanearter07
| | | `- Re: iPhone QuestionThe Real Bev
| | `* Re: iPhone QuestionThe Real Bev
| |  `* Re: iPhone Questioncandycanearter07
| |   `- WAY OT -- Re: iPhone QuestionThe Real Bev
| `- Re: iPhone QuestionJörg Lorenz
+- Re: iPhone QuestionAlan
+* Re: iPhone QuestionTheo
|`* Re: iPhone QuestionThe Real Bev
| `* Re: iPhone QuestionDave Roya
|  +- Re: iPhone QuestionJörg Lorenz
|  `- Re: iPhone QuestionThe Real Bev
`- Re: iPhone QuestionWally J

Pages:12
iPhone Question

<uef7rq$316nb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44804&group=comp.mobile.android#44804

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: iPhone Question
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:50:02 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 16:50 UTC

Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
the iPhone group...

Daughter's newest iPhone is frequently wrong when it gives her location
to google maps. In theory she's been in Moab for 18 hours now, and I
know she's on a tour bus elsewhere and she just emailed me a photo.
Stuff like this is frequent.

Is this a generic iPhone thing or is there something wrong with her
particular phone?

--
Cheers, Bev
"Don't force it, use a bigger hammer!"

Re: iPhone Question

<i19mgid9vdt2vs2tl29gnuketlp4bgvtmi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44805&group=comp.mobile.android#44805

From: mai...@nospam.com (Chris in Makati)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: iPhone Question
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:59:33 +0100
 by: Chris in Makati - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 16:59 UTC

On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:50:02 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
>the iPhone group...
>
>Daughter's newest iPhone is frequently wrong when it gives her location
>to google maps. In theory she's been in Moab for 18 hours now, and I
>know she's on a tour bus elsewhere and she just emailed me a photo.
>Stuff like this is frequent.
>
>Is this a generic iPhone thing or is there something wrong with her
>particular phone?

Get her to check the setting under:

Settings | Privacy & Security | Location Services | Google Maps

Make sure "Always" is checked. If it's set to "While Using the App"
her location will only be updated when she opens the Google Maps app.

Re: iPhone Question

<1mqissn7bk2z5$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44807&group=comp.mobile.android#44807

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 12:34:48 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:34 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
> the iPhone group...
>
> Daughter's newest iPhone is frequently wrong when it gives her location
> to google maps. In theory she's been in Moab for 18 hours now, and I
> know she's on a tour bus elsewhere and she just emailed me a photo.
> Stuff like this is frequent.
>
> Is this a generic iPhone thing or is there something wrong with her
> particular phone?

Wrong audience. Just because you prefer this newsgroup does not obviate
your post here is off-topic.

I don't have any Apple products, so no iPhones, either. In Android, I
use MobiaWIA's GPS Status & Toolbox (paid $2.14 for the Pro version) app
which lets me clear the GPS tables (Manage A-GPS state) to reset and get
new data. The options under there are:

- Press "Reset" to clear all cached GPS data (cold start).
- Press "Download" to get GPS assistance data from the Internet. This
will speed up your GPS for a few days, but requires an active data
connection (only for the download).

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=gps%20status&c=apps

Since I don't do Apple, you will have to find out if there is a similar
iPhone app to reset and redownload A-GPS data. For more info on A-GPS,
see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GNSS
https://mobiwia.com/ (their blog explains A-GPS settings in the app)

As their blog mentions, get rid of the pretty phone cases that can block
radio signals. Those pretty mylar ones attenuate all radio signals
(GPS, cellular, FM, etc). Also, GPS doesn't penetrate concrete
buildings, like car park ramps. Even in metal cars with metallic
coatings in the windshielf, signals get attenuated. The GPS Status app
will even tell you to how many GPS satellites (shown in yellow) your
phone is connected. You need 3 satellites for geolocation via GPS, or
4 for more accurate positioning.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/tutorial_geodesy/geo09_gps.html

Currently I only have 3 GPS satellites connected, but I'm in the
basement of my house, so GPS may not penetrate as well. Don't where
your girl is taking her photos, or where she is trying to use Google
Maps; i.e., details may be missing in whichever country she is touring.

https://developers.google.com/maps/coverage

Does you girl have High Accuracy enabled in the Android settings for
location? Besides GPS, location will include networks, like for cell
towers.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2839911?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

Again, you'll have to find an Apple-equivalent article on location
settings in Apple devices. Even then, different phones are differently
customized, so the navpath to get the high accuracy location setting may
differ for whatever phone your girl has.

Re: iPhone Question

<ueffd5$2vh1n$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44811&group=comp.mobile.android#44811

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:58:45 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:58 UTC

On 9/20/23 12:34, VanguardLH wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
>> the iPhone group...
>
> Wrong audience. Just because you prefer this newsgroup does not obviate
> your post here is off-topic.

To be fair, some of the apple newsgroups are battlegrounds.

Re: iPhone Question

<uefjs4$de3t$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44813&group=comp.mobile.android#44813

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 22:15:00 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:15 UTC

Am 20.09.23 um 19:34 schrieb VanguardLH:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
>> the iPhone group...
>>
>> Daughter's newest iPhone is frequently wrong when it gives her location
>> to google maps. In theory she's been in Moab for 18 hours now, and I
>> know she's on a tour bus elsewhere and she just emailed me a photo.
>> Stuff like this is frequent.
>>
>> Is this a generic iPhone thing or is there something wrong with her
>> particular phone?
>
> Wrong audience. Just because you prefer this newsgroup does not obviate
> your post here is off-topic.

Again a mile long sermon and no help.

Iphones are extremly accurate and very fast in getting the correct
location. An iPhone does not need third party "apps" for this.

RealBev's daughter should also make sure that the location service is
activated in the first place and the location is set to "Precise Location".

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207092

> I don't have any Apple products, so no iPhones, either. In Android, I
> use MobiaWIA's GPS Status & Toolbox (paid $2.14 for the Pro version) app
> which lets me clear the GPS tables (Manage A-GPS state) to reset and get
> new data. The options under there are:
>
> - Press "Reset" to clear all cached GPS data (cold start).
> - Press "Download" to get GPS assistance data from the Internet. This
> will speed up your GPS for a few days, but requires an active data
> connection (only for the download).
>
> https://play.google.com/store/search?q=gps%20status&c=apps
>
> Since I don't do Apple, you will have to find out if there is a similar
> iPhone app to reset and redownload A-GPS data. For more info on A-GPS,
> see:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GNSS
> https://mobiwia.com/ (their blog explains A-GPS settings in the app)
>
> As their blog mentions, get rid of the pretty phone cases that can block
> radio signals. Those pretty mylar ones attenuate all radio signals
> (GPS, cellular, FM, etc). Also, GPS doesn't penetrate concrete
> buildings, like car park ramps. Even in metal cars with metallic
> coatings in the windshielf, signals get attenuated. The GPS Status app
> will even tell you to how many GPS satellites (shown in yellow) your
> phone is connected. You need 3 satellites for geolocation via GPS, or
> 4 for more accurate positioning.
>
> https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/tutorial_geodesy/geo09_gps.html
>
> Currently I only have 3 GPS satellites connected, but I'm in the
> basement of my house, so GPS may not penetrate as well. Don't where
> your girl is taking her photos, or where she is trying to use Google
> Maps; i.e., details may be missing in whichever country she is touring.
>
> https://developers.google.com/maps/coverage
>
> Does you girl have High Accuracy enabled in the Android settings for
> location? Besides GPS, location will include networks, like for cell
> towers.
>
> https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2839911?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid
>
> Again, you'll have to find an Apple-equivalent article on location
> settings in Apple devices. Even then, different phones are differently
> customized, so the navpath to get the high accuracy location setting may
> differ for whatever phone your girl has.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: iPhone Question

<uefjtv$de3t$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44814&group=comp.mobile.android#44814

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 22:15:59 +0200

Am 20.09.23 um 18:50 schrieb The Real Bev:
> Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
> the iPhone group...
>
> Daughter's newest iPhone is frequently wrong when it gives her location
> to google maps. In theory she's been in Moab for 18 hours now, and I
> know she's on a tour bus elsewhere and she just emailed me a photo.
> Stuff like this is frequent.
>
> Is this a generic iPhone thing or is there something wrong with her
> particular phone?

Probably not.

Iphones are extremly accurate and very fast in getting the correct
location. An iPhone does not need third party "apps" for this.

Your daughter should also make sure that the location service is
activated in the first place and the location is set to "Precise Location".

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207092

--
Alea iacta est

Re: iPhone Question

<uefk07$de3t$3@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44815&group=comp.mobile.android#44815

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 22:17:11 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:17 UTC

Am 20.09.23 um 20:58 schrieb candycanearter07:
> On 9/20/23 12:34, VanguardLH wrote:
>> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
>>> the iPhone group...
>>
>> Wrong audience. Just because you prefer this newsgroup does not obviate
>> your post here is off-topic.
>>
> To be fair, some of the apple newsgroups are battlegrounds.

"Trollistan".
Some spillover was already seen in this group.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: iPhone Question

<uefn36$348pe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44819&group=comp.mobile.android#44819

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:09:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:09 UTC

On 20 Sep 2023 17:59:33 +0100 Chris in Makati wrote:
>On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:50:02 -0700, The Real Bev
><bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
>>the iPhone group...
>>
>>Daughter's newest iPhone is frequently wrong when it gives her location
>>to google maps. In theory she's been in Moab for 18 hours now, and I
>>know she's on a tour bus elsewhere and she just emailed me a photo.
>>Stuff like this is frequent.
>>
>>Is this a generic iPhone thing or is there something wrong with her
>>particular phone?
>
>Get her to check the setting under:
>
>Settings | Privacy & Security | Location Services | Google Maps
>
>Make sure "Always" is checked. If it's set to "While Using the App"
>her location will only be updated when she opens the Google Maps app.

I run OsmAnd (offline maps) on an iPhone 8 and only need to set that
permission to 'Always' if I'm recording a track, in which case it runs in
the background in my pocket. Normally it's set to "While using ..." -
which uses less power. I've never set G-Maps to "Always" and it generally
knows where I am.

Turning wifi on - even if you're not using it for internet - will improve
location accuracy and time-to-fix. That consumes power too, though, so I
often turn it off in rural area.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: iPhone Question

<uefndq$ddsf$3@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44821&group=comp.mobile.android#44821

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:15:38 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:15 UTC

Am 20.09.23 um 23:09 schrieb Dave Royal:
> On 20 Sep 2023 17:59:33 +0100 Chris in Makati wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:50:02 -0700, The Real Bev
>> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
>>> the iPhone group...
>>>
>>> Daughter's newest iPhone is frequently wrong when it gives her location
>>> to google maps. In theory she's been in Moab for 18 hours now, and I
>>> know she's on a tour bus elsewhere and she just emailed me a photo.
>>> Stuff like this is frequent.
>>>
>>> Is this a generic iPhone thing or is there something wrong with her
>>> particular phone?
>>
>> Get her to check the setting under:
>>
>> Settings | Privacy & Security | Location Services | Google Maps
>>
>> Make sure "Always" is checked. If it's set to "While Using the App"
>> her location will only be updated when she opens the Google Maps app.
>
> I run OsmAnd (offline maps) on an iPhone 8 and only need to set that
> permission to 'Always' if I'm recording a track, in which case it runs in
> the background in my pocket. Normally it's set to "While using ..." -
> which uses less power. I've never set G-Maps to "Always" and it generally
> knows where I am.

No need to set to always.

> Turning wifi on - even if you're not using it for internet - will improve
> location accuracy and time-to-fix. That consumes power too, though, so I
> often turn it off in rural area.

Unnecessary.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: iPhone Question

<1x4y7te91m0ms$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44822&group=comp.mobile.android#44822

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:00:30 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:00 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 20.09.23 um 19:34 schrieb VanguardLH:
>> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
>>> the iPhone group...
>>>
>>> Daughter's newest iPhone is frequently wrong when it gives her location
>>> to google maps. In theory she's been in Moab for 18 hours now, and I
>>> know she's on a tour bus elsewhere and she just emailed me a photo.
>>> Stuff like this is frequent.
>>>
>>> Is this a generic iPhone thing or is there something wrong with her
>>> particular phone?
>>
>> Wrong audience. Just because you prefer this newsgroup does not obviate
>> your post here is off-topic.
>
> Again a mile long sermon and no help.

And, as always, you like to pretend the rest of my post doesn't exist.
Your trolling is getting way too obvious.

> Iphones are extremly accurate and very fast in getting the correct
> location. An iPhone does not need third party "apps" for this.

Okay, explain how the iPhone gets and maintains its A-GPS data. *ALL*
smartphones with GPS use it.

> RealBev's daughter should also make sure that the location service is
> activated in the first place and the location is set to "Precise Location".

So, you repeat the same advice as I. So, your post must be of no help,
too.

> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207092
>
>> I don't have any Apple products, so no iPhones, either. In Android, I
>> use MobiaWIA's GPS Status & Toolbox (paid $2.14 for the Pro version) app
>> which lets me clear the GPS tables (Manage A-GPS state) to reset and get
>> new data. The options under there are:
>>
>> - Press "Reset" to clear all cached GPS data (cold start).
>> - Press "Download" to get GPS assistance data from the Internet. This
>> will speed up your GPS for a few days, but requires an active data
>> connection (only for the download).
>>
>> https://play.google.com/store/search?q=gps%20status&c=apps
>>
>> Since I don't do Apple, you will have to find out if there is a similar
>> iPhone app to reset and redownload A-GPS data. For more info on A-GPS,
>> see:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GNSS
>> https://mobiwia.com/ (their blog explains A-GPS settings in the app)
>>
>> As their blog mentions, get rid of the pretty phone cases that can block
>> radio signals. Those pretty mylar ones attenuate all radio signals
>> (GPS, cellular, FM, etc). Also, GPS doesn't penetrate concrete
>> buildings, like car park ramps. Even in metal cars with metallic
>> coatings in the windshielf, signals get attenuated. The GPS Status app
>> will even tell you to how many GPS satellites (shown in yellow) your
>> phone is connected. You need 3 satellites for geolocation via GPS, or
>> 4 for more accurate positioning.
>>
>> https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/tutorial_geodesy/geo09_gps.html
>>
>> Currently I only have 3 GPS satellites connected, but I'm in the
>> basement of my house, so GPS may not penetrate as well. Don't where
>> your girl is taking her photos, or where she is trying to use Google
>> Maps; i.e., details may be missing in whichever country she is touring.
>>
>> https://developers.google.com/maps/coverage
>>
>> Does you girl have High Accuracy enabled in the Android settings for
>> location? Besides GPS, location will include networks, like for cell
>> towers.
>>
>> https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2839911?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid
>>
>> Again, you'll have to find an Apple-equivalent article on location
>> settings in Apple devices. Even then, different phones are differently
>> customized, so the navpath to get the high accuracy location setting may
>> differ for whatever phone your girl has.

Re: iPhone Question

<enbijbmalmvu$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44823&group=comp.mobile.android#44823

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:01:21 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:01 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 20.09.23 um 18:50 schrieb The Real Bev:
>> Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
>> the iPhone group...
>>
>> Daughter's newest iPhone is frequently wrong when it gives her location
>> to google maps. In theory she's been in Moab for 18 hours now, and I
>> know she's on a tour bus elsewhere and she just emailed me a photo.
>> Stuff like this is frequent.
>>
>> Is this a generic iPhone thing or is there something wrong with her
>> particular phone?
>
> Probably not.
>
> Iphones are extremly accurate and very fast in getting the correct
> location. An iPhone does not need third party "apps" for this.
>
> Your daughter should also make sure that the location service is
> activated in the first place and the location is set to "Precise Location".
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207092

Yep, here he is again pretending to give advice that was given 3 hours
earlier.

Re: iPhone Question

<uegc42$3b5n6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44826&group=comp.mobile.android#44826

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:08:50 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 03:08 UTC

On 2023-09-20 09:50, The Real Bev wrote:
> Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
> the iPhone group...
>
> Daughter's newest iPhone is frequently wrong when it gives her location
> to google maps.  In theory she's been in Moab for 18 hours now, and I
> know she's on a tour bus elsewhere and she just emailed me a photo.
> Stuff like this is frequent.
>
> Is this a generic iPhone thing or is there something wrong with her
> particular phone?

I'm enjoying your delusions.

Re: iPhone Question

<uegebm$3bgub$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44827&group=comp.mobile.android#44827

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:47:01 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 03:47 UTC

On 9/20/23 11:58 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 9/20/23 12:34, VanguardLH wrote:
>> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
>>> the iPhone group...
>>
>> Wrong audience. Just because you prefer this newsgroup does not obviate
>> your post here is off-topic.

I know, but I figured that people would be able to tell from the subject
line and ignore it if they wanted to.

> To be fair, some of the apple newsgroups are battlegrounds.

Not like this one :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't trust carry-out food. When you find hair in my cooking

Re: iPhone Question

<uegetf$3bjhi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44828&group=comp.mobile.android#44828

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:56:29 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 03:56 UTC

On 9/20/23 4:00 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

>>> Currently I only have 3 GPS satellites connected, but I'm in the
>>> basement of my house, so GPS may not penetrate as well. Don't where
>>> your girl is taking her photos, or where she is trying to use Google
>>> Maps; i.e., details may be missing in whichever country she is touring.
I think the Always/Only When Using dichotomy is the problem. The
difference might be hundreds or even thousands of miles since she last
used Maps and she generally doesn't need to know where she is -- that's
the bus driver's job unless he's lost, which has happened. If she can
send me a photo surely she should also have location services at that
exact time and place, and google maps would update.

>>> https://developers.google.com/maps/coverage
>>>
>>> Does you girl have High Accuracy enabled in the Android settings for
>>> location? Besides GPS, location will include networks, like for cell
>>> towers.
>>>
>>> https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2839911?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid
>>>
>>> Again, you'll have to find an Apple-equivalent article on location
>>> settings in Apple devices. Even then, different phones are differently
>>> customized, so the navpath to get the high accuracy location setting may
>>> differ for whatever phone your girl has.

+/1 a mile is good enough if it takes more battery to get more accuracy.
That would be her choice too.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Don't force it, use a bigger hammer!"
--M. Irving

Re: iPhone Question

<uegf3s$3bk9c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44829&group=comp.mobile.android#44829

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:59:54 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 03:59 UTC

On 9/20/23 4:01 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

> Yep, here he is again pretending to give advice that was given 3 hours
> earlier.

You think that's bad, try signing up with Nextdoor for a while.
Apparently some people regard it as a write-only medium. The site
itself is incompetent, frequently not publishing posts for days.
Whatever problems usenet has, it's so far ahead of everything else
that there's no point in even thinking about what's #2.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Don't force it, use a bigger hammer!"
--M. Irving

Re: iPhone Question

<uegjid$dqor$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44830&group=comp.mobile.android#44830

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 07:15:57 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 05:15 UTC

Am 21.09.23 um 05:56 schrieb The Real Bev:
> I think the Always/Only When Using dichotomy is the problem. The
> difference might be hundreds or even thousands of miles since she last
> used Maps and she generally doesn't need to know where she is -- that's
> the bus driver's job unless he's lost, which has happened. If she can
> send me a photo surely she should also have location services at that
> exact time and place, and google maps would update.

No it isn't. If the location service is activated the phone is tracking
the exact point on this planet permanently. "only When Using" means only
that Google Maps has only access to location data when open. Not more
and not less.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: iPhone Question

<uegk2e$dqos$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44831&group=comp.mobile.android#44831

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 07:24:30 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 05:24 UTC

Chatterbox!

--
Alea iacta est

Re: iPhone Question

<1h3s3tl1grxm7$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44833&group=comp.mobile.android#44833

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 00:50:37 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 05:50 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

> VanguardLH:
>
>> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Again a mile long sermon and no help.
>>
>> And, as always, you like to pretend the rest of my post doesn't
>> exist. Your trolling is getting way too obvious.
>>
>>> RealBev's daughter should also make sure that the location service
>>> is activated in the first place and the location is set to "Precise
>>> Location".
>>
>> So, you repeat the same advice as I. So, your post must be of no
>> help, too.
>
> Chatterbox!

That's the best retort you can contrive after getting caught duplicating
my suggestion? I actually expect more from you in a retort.

Your lack of reading comprehension or laziness to read is your fault.

Re: iPhone Question

<uegm1l$drfd$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44834&group=comp.mobile.android#44834

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 07:58:13 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 05:58 UTC

Am 21.09.23 um 07:50 schrieb VanguardLH:
> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH:

>>> And, as always, you like to pretend the rest of my post doesn't
>>> exist. Your trolling is getting way too obvious.

>>> So, you repeat the same advice as I. So, your post must be of no
>>> help, too.
>>
>> Chatterbox!
>
> That's the best retort you can contrive after getting caught duplicating
> my suggestion? I actually expect more from you in a retort.

I do not read your sermons.
I only saw a lot of irrelvant Google-links.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: iPhone Question

<uegmve$ds4l$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44835&group=comp.mobile.android#44835

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 08:14:06 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 06:14 UTC

Am 21.09.23 um 01:01 schrieb VanguardLH:
> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Am 20.09.23 um 18:50 schrieb The Real Bev:
>>> Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
>>> the iPhone group...
>>>
>>> Daughter's newest iPhone is frequently wrong when it gives her location
>>> to google maps. In theory she's been in Moab for 18 hours now, and I
>>> know she's on a tour bus elsewhere and she just emailed me a photo.
>>> Stuff like this is frequent.
>>>
>>> Is this a generic iPhone thing or is there something wrong with her
>>> particular phone?
>>
>> Probably not.
>>
>> Iphones are extremly accurate and very fast in getting the correct
>> location. An iPhone does not need third party "apps" for this.
>>
>> Your daughter should also make sure that the location service is
>> activated in the first place and the location is set to "Precise Location".
>>
>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207092
>
> Yep, here he is again pretending to give advice that was given 3 hours
> earlier.

What also seems to be beyond your imagination is effective filtering and
its consequences.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: iPhone Question

<uegn9m$ds4m$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44836&group=comp.mobile.android#44836

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 08:19:34 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 06:19 UTC

Am 21.09.23 um 07:15 schrieb Jörg Lorenz:
> Am 21.09.23 um 05:56 schrieb The Real Bev:
>> I think the Always/Only When Using dichotomy is the problem. The
>> difference might be hundreds or even thousands of miles since she last
>> used Maps and she generally doesn't need to know where she is -- that's
>> the bus driver's job unless he's lost, which has happened. If she can
>> send me a photo surely she should also have location services at that
>> exact time and place, and google maps would update.
>
> No it isn't. If the location service is activated the phone is tracking
> the exact point on this planet permanently. "only When Using" means only
> that Google Maps has only access to location data when open. Not more
> and not less.

BTW: I would suggest a *reboot* to make sure that all processes work
correctly. I never had such issues in the 15 years I use iPhones.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: iPhone Question

<9f4ogihp7hg7vebs10sr4kg0lms1mtt4de@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44837&group=comp.mobile.android#44837

From: mai...@nospam.com (Chris in Makati)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:54:59 +0100
 by: Chris in Makati - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:54 UTC

On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 22:15:00 +0200, Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net>
wrote:

>Am 20.09.23 um 19:34 schrieb VanguardLH:
>> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Because Android people are smarter than iPhone people and I don't read
>>> the iPhone group...
>>>
>>> Daughter's newest iPhone is frequently wrong when it gives her location
>>> to google maps. In theory she's been in Moab for 18 hours now, and I
>>> know she's on a tour bus elsewhere and she just emailed me a photo.
>>> Stuff like this is frequent.
>>>
>>> Is this a generic iPhone thing or is there something wrong with her
>>> particular phone?
>>
>> Wrong audience. Just because you prefer this newsgroup does not obviate
>> your post here is off-topic.
>
>Again a mile long sermon and no help.
>
>Iphones are extremly accurate and very fast in getting the correct
>location. An iPhone does not need third party "apps" for this.

The iPhone itself knows where it is, and if the daughter was to use
Google Maps to view her location it would be correct.

But the point you're missing is that Bev is using Google Maps to track
her daughter's location remotely, presumably using the "Location
Sharing" function in Google. If the Location Services setting for the
Google Maps app is set to "When Using", Google Maps will only update
the location to Google when the app is being used. If it's set to
"Always" the app will update the location to Google continuously even
if the app itself is closed. That's why it needs to be set to
"Always".

>RealBev's daughter should also make sure that the location service is
>activated in the first place and the location is set to "Precise Location".

Correct. She needs to check that setting as well.

Re: iPhone Question

<uehks3$3imjb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44840&group=comp.mobile.android#44840

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:44:19 -0500
 by: sms - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:44 UTC

On 9/20/2023 10:59 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 9/20/23 4:01 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Yep, here he is again pretending to give advice that was given 3 hours
>> earlier.
>
> You think that's bad, try signing up with Nextdoor for a while.
> Apparently some people regard it as a write-only medium.  The site
> itself is incompetent, frequently not publishing posts for days.
>  Whatever problems usenet has, it's so far ahead of everything else
> that there's no point in even thinking about what's #2.

Facebook was supposed to be launching a feature that was kind of like
Nextdoor, called "Neighborhoods."

Nextdoor is a clusterf$%k, hopelessly awful design. Since they don't get
much advertising they endlessly repeat the same ads. They kick people
off if they disagree with their posts.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: iPhone Question

<uehldc$3ig8t$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44842&group=comp.mobile.android#44842

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:53:32 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:53 UTC

On 9/21/23 09:44, sms wrote:
> On 9/20/2023 10:59 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 9/20/23 4:01 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> Yep, here he is again pretending to give advice that was given 3 hours
>>> earlier.
>>
>> You think that's bad, try signing up with Nextdoor for a while.
>> Apparently some people regard it as a write-only medium.  The site
>> itself is incompetent, frequently not publishing posts for days.
>>   Whatever problems usenet has, it's so far ahead of everything else
>> that there's no point in even thinking about what's #2.
>
> Facebook was supposed to be launching a feature that was kind of like
> Nextdoor, called "Neighborhoods."
>
> Nextdoor is a clusterf$%k, hopelessly awful design. Since they don't get
> much advertising they endlessly repeat the same ads. They kick people
> off if they disagree with their posts.

That sounds like Facebook.

Re: iPhone Question

<uehr73$3jv3t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44845&group=comp.mobile.android#44845

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:32:35 -0500
 by: sms - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 16:32 UTC

On 9/21/2023 9:53 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 9/21/23 09:44, sms wrote:

>>> You think that's bad, try signing up with Nextdoor for a while.
>>> Apparently some people regard it as a write-only medium.  The site
>>> itself is incompetent, frequently not publishing posts for days.
>>>   Whatever problems usenet has, it's so far ahead of everything else
>>> that there's no point in even thinking about what's #2.
>>
>> Facebook was supposed to be launching a feature that was kind of like
>> Nextdoor, called "Neighborhoods."
>>
>> Nextdoor is a clusterf$%k, hopelessly awful design. Since they don't
>> get much advertising they endlessly repeat the same ads. They kick
>> people off if they disagree with their posts.
>>

> That sounds like Facebook.

Facebook is not nearly as bad.

Nextdoor Redux
1. What is this bug?
2. Why is there a helicopter circling?
3. My cat ran away but came home.
4. My catalytic converter was stolen.
5. My neighbor put garbage into my bin. Is that legal?
6. How much should I pay for house cleaning?
7. Speeding ice cream truck in my neighborhood.
8. I just saw a coyote.
9. I saw a lot of police cars, what's going on?
10. My car got broken into.
11. My drain is clogged.
12. Suspicious person caught on my Ring camera.
13. My Amazon package was stolen.
14. I got a 1600 on my SATs, I got a 5 on 27 different AP tests, I won
six national science competitions, I’m home for the summer from ______
Ivy League university, and I’m available for tutoring.
15. My neighbor is wasting water.
16. Someone stole fruit from my tree.
17. Someone is parking in front of my house.
18. Someone cut me off in traffic.
19. Did anyone feel the earthquake?
20. How much should a house cleaner cost?
21. What was that big boom sound?