Use the Force, Luke.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

SubjectAuthor
* Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteele
+- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteBill
+* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteJonathan N. Little
|+* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteJohn Doe
||`* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websitePaul
|| `* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteJonathan N. Little
||  +- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websitePaul
||  `- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteRalph Fox
|+* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteAndy Burns
||`* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteJonathan N. Little
|| `- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websites|b
|`- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteRalph Fox
+* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteTeddy-Bears
|+- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteTeddy-Bears
|`* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteoccam
| +- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteTeddy-Bears
| `- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteRalph Fox
+- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteBill Bradshaw
+* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteKen Blake
|`- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteRene Lamontagne
+* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteRalph Fox
|`- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteRalph Fox
+- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteVanguardLH
+* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website...w¡ñ§±¤n
|`* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteRalph Fox
| `- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website...w¡ñ§±¤n
+* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteWolffan
|`* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteVanguardLH
| `- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteWolffan
+* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteMark Lloyd
|+- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteBP
|`- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website...w¡ñ§±¤n
+- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteR2D2
+- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websitewasbit
`* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteZaghadka
 `* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteZaghadka
  `* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteZaghadka
   `* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteKen Blake
    `* Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website...w¡ñ§±¤n
     `- Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their websiteKen Blake

Pages:12
Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<hhh4bglasg8sd292nk3gne0m69b07k7k1m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45192&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45192

From: ele...@thezoo.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 06:55:21 -0700
 by: ele...@thezoo.com - Sat, 29 May 2021 13:55 UTC

Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser. They didn't give any
choice, just pushed it. Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
but to go to their website, that's the default. You use to be able
to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank). But it's no longer
available. The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
you change.

What a bunch of bull shit!

Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser. Problem is,
Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
can't access, so I'll have to save each site, manually.

Thanks Microshaft, you know how to piss people off

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<APrsI.8429$N%.723@fx05.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45194&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45194

Subject: Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 10:02:07 -0400
 by: Bill - Sat, 29 May 2021 14:02 UTC

On 5/29/2021 9:55 AM, ele@thezoo.com wrote:
> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser.
<snip>
> Thanks Microshaft, you know how to piss people off

Firefox works great.

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<s8tiqm$s6j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45195&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45195

From: lws4...@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 10:25:31 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Sat, 29 May 2021 14:25 UTC

ele@thezoo.com wrote:
> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser. They didn't give any
> choice, just pushed it. Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
> but to go to their website, that's the default. You use to be able
> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank). But it's no longer
> available. The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
> you change.
>
> What a bunch of bull shit!
>
> Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser. Problem is,
> Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
> can't access, so I'll have to save each site, manually.
>
> Thanks Microshaft, you know how to piss people off

Not that I use Edge but you can do what you wish

3-dot menu > Settings > On startup > Open a specific page or pages >
click 3-dots > enter 'about:blank'

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<s8tln0$p3p$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45203&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45203

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 15:13:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sat, 29 May 2021 15:13 UTC

"Jonathan N. Little" wrote:

> ele@thezoo.com wrote:

>> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser. They didn't give any
>> choice, just pushed it. Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
>> but to go to their website, that's the default. You use to be able
>> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank). But it's no longer
>> available. The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
>> you change.

> Not that I use Edge but you can do what you wish
>
> 3-dot menu > Settings > On startup > Open a specific page or pages >
> click 3-dots > enter 'about:blank'

One would think so. The original poster isn't skilled enough.

Browser makers do not intentionally annoy their users. Too easy to use another
browser.

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<s8to4b$ctc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45209&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45209

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 11:54:49 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 29 May 2021 15:54 UTC

John Doe wrote:
> "Jonathan N. Little" wrote:
>
>> ele@thezoo.com wrote:
>
>>> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser. They didn't give any
>>> choice, just pushed it. Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
>>> but to go to their website, that's the default. You use to be able
>>> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank). But it's no longer
>>> available. The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
>>> you change.
>
>> Not that I use Edge but you can do what you wish
>>
>> 3-dot menu > Settings > On startup > Open a specific page or pages >
>> click 3-dots > enter 'about:blank'
>
> One would think so. The original poster isn't skilled enough.
>
> Browser makers do not intentionally annoy their users. Too easy to use another
> browser.

Sure they do.

https://i.postimg.cc/RC7q6TJY/tis-a-hike-in-the-woods.gif

(Use Download Original to see original resolution image.)

Paul

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<s8tpiu$mtq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45210&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45210

From: lws4...@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 12:20:50 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Sat, 29 May 2021 16:20 UTC

Paul wrote:
> John Doe wrote:

>>> Not that I use Edge but you can do what you wish
>>>
>>> 3-dot menu > Settings > On startup > Open a specific page or pages >
>>> click 3-dots > enter 'about:blank'
>>
>> One would think so. The original poster isn't skilled enough.
>>
>> Browser makers do not intentionally annoy their users. Too easy to use
>> another browser.
>
> Sure they do.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/RC7q6TJY/tis-a-hike-in-the-woods.gif
>
> (Use Download Original to see original resolution image.)

Don't use 'edge://blank/', use 'about:blank' and you will successfully
get a blank page.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<s8tr6b$2hq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45212&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45212

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 12:47:06 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 29 May 2021 16:47 UTC

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> John Doe wrote:

>>> One would think so. The original poster isn't skilled enough.
>>>
>>> Browser makers do not intentionally annoy their users. Too easy to use
>>> another browser.
>> Sure they do.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/RC7q6TJY/tis-a-hike-in-the-woods.gif
>>
>> (Use Download Original to see original resolution image.)
>
> Don't use 'edge://blank/', use 'about:blank' and you will successfully
> get a blank page.

Good settings interfaces in the past, offered such
an option as a click-able thing, so you did not have
to ferret out what the correct syntax might be.

I just wanted to slap something in there, and
"let'er rip" :-)

Paul

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<s8trbi$to3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45213&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45213

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 12:49:53 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Sat, 29 May 2021 16:49 UTC

On 5/29/21 9:55 AM, this is what ele@thezoo.com wrote:
> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser. They didn't give any
> choice, just pushed it. Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
> but to go to their website, that's the default. You use to be able
> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank). But it's no longer
> available. The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
> you change.
>
> What a bunch of bull shit!
>
> Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser. Problem is,
> Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
> can't access, so I'll have to save each site, manually.
>
> Thanks Microshaft, you know how to piss people off

In the menu -> help page what version are you?
I'm Version 92.0.891.1
And I have/had no issue with it changing my home page.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<ihfb8pFm9f7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45216&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45216

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 09:17:10 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sat, 29 May 2021 17:17 UTC

ele@thezoo.com wrote:
> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser. They didn't give any
> choice, just pushed it. Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
> but to go to their website, that's the default. You use to be able
> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank). But it's no longer
> available. The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
> you change.
>
> What a bunch of bull shit!
>
> Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser. Problem is,
> Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
> can't access, so I'll have to save each site, manually.
>
> Thanks Microshaft, you know how to piss people off

You can still set a startup page it just doesn't work. I also have Firefox
installed so I guess that iis what I will start using.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<ihfc1jFmet8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45220&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45220

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 18:30:27 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 29 May 2021 17:30 UTC

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Not that I use Edge but you can do what you wish
> 3-dot menu > Settings > On startup > Open a specific page or pages >
> click 3-dots > enter 'about:blank'

yesbut the "new tab page" you arrive at is a thinly wrapped version of

<https://ntp.msn.com/edge/ntp>

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<s8u0dq$6ii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45226&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45226

From: lws4...@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 14:17:34 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Sat, 29 May 2021 18:17 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> Not that I use Edge but you can do what you wish
>> 3-dot menu > Settings > On startup > Open a specific page or pages >
>> click 3-dots > enter 'about:blank'
>
> yesbut the "new tab page" you arrive at is a thinly wrapped version of
>
> <https://ntp.msn.com/edge/ntp>

Whaaat, MS want to track you? Perish the thought!

Do as I do....don't use edge.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<s8u3ao$o48$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45230&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45230

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 15:06:00 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Sat, 29 May 2021 19:06 UTC

On 5/29/21 12:49 PM, this is what Teddy-Bears wrote:
> On 5/29/21 9:55 AM, this is what ele@thezoo.com wrote:
>> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser.  They didn't give any
>> choice, just pushed it.    Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
>> but to go to their website,  that's the default.    You use to be able
>> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank).   But it's no longer
>> available.   The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
>> you change.
>>
>> What a bunch of bull shit!
>>
>> Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser.    Problem is,
>> Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
>> can't access,  so I'll have to save each site, manually.
>>
>> Thanks Microshaft,  you know how to piss people off
>>
> In the menu -> help page what version are you?
> I'm Version 92.0.891.1
> And I have/had no issue with it changing my home page.

That's my Linux version. Developer version just a bit ahead of Windows.
Version 91.0.864.37 on Windows.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs
*I collect teddy bears.

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<ihfm55Foa45U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45236&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45236

From: nob...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 22:23:01 +0200
 by: occam - Sat, 29 May 2021 20:23 UTC

On 29/05/2021 18:49, Teddy-Bears wrote:
> On 5/29/21 9:55 AM, this is what ele@thezoo.com wrote:
>> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser.  They didn't give any
>> choice, just pushed it.    Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
>> but to go to their website,  that's the default.    You use to be able
>> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank).   But it's no longer
>> available.   The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
>> you change.
>>
>> What a bunch of bull shit!
>>
>> Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser.    Problem is,
>> Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
>> can't access,  so I'll have to save each site, manually.
>>
>> Thanks Microshaft,  you know how to piss people off
>>
> In the menu -> help page what version are you?
> I'm Version 92.0.891.1
> And I have/had no issue with it changing my home page.

My (problematic) version is 91.0.864.37 (Official build) (64-bit)

When it tries to update, it says I have the latest version.

Where/how did you get version 92.0.891.1 ?

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<ihfnllFokm9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45238&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45238

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 13:48:52 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 29 May 2021 20:48 UTC

On 5/29/2021 6:55 AM, ele@thezoo.com wrote:
> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser. They didn't give any
> choice, just pushed it. Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
> but to go to their website, that's the default. You use to be able
> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank). But it's no longer
> available. The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
> you change.
>
> What a bunch of bull shit!
>
> Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser. Problem is,
> Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
> can't access, so I'll have to save each site, manually.
>
> Thanks Microshaft, you know how to piss people off

That doesn't piss me off, since as far as I'm concerned, Edge was
already the worst available browser, and if they made it worse I don't
care. Since I never open it, I don't care what page it opens to.

--
Ken

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<s8u9hp$vcn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45239&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45239

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 16:52:09 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Sat, 29 May 2021 20:52 UTC

On 5/29/21 4:23 PM, this is what occam wrote:
> On 29/05/2021 18:49, Teddy-Bears wrote:
>> On 5/29/21 9:55 AM, this is what ele@thezoo.com wrote:
>>> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser.  They didn't give any
>>> choice, just pushed it.    Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
>>> but to go to their website,  that's the default.    You use to be able
>>> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank).   But it's no longer
>>> available.   The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
>>> you change.
>>>
>>> What a bunch of bull shit!
>>>
>>> Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser.    Problem is,
>>> Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
>>> can't access,  so I'll have to save each site, manually.
>>>
>>> Thanks Microshaft,  you know how to piss people off
>>>
>> In the menu -> help page what version are you?
>> I'm Version 92.0.891.1
>> And I have/had no issue with it changing my home page.
>>

> My (problematic) version is 91.0.864.37 (Official build) (64-bit)
>
> When it tries to update, it says I have the latest version.
>
> Where/how did you get version 92.0.891.1 ?

I'm on linux and I'm being fed a development version. They are testing Edge in Linux and giving us advanced versions.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs
*I collect teddy bears.

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<ihfo1nFom0eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45240&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45240

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 15:55:20 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sat, 29 May 2021 20:55 UTC

On 2021-05-29 3:48 p.m., Ken Blake wrote:
> On 5/29/2021 6:55 AM, ele@thezoo.com wrote:
>> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser.  They didn't give any
>> choice, just pushed it.    Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
>> but to go to their website,  that's the default.    You use to be able
>> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank).   But it's no longer
>> available.   The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
>> you change.
>>
>> What a bunch of bull shit!
>>
>> Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser.    Problem is,
>> Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
>> can't access,  so I'll have to save each site, manually.
>>
>> Thanks Microshaft,  you know how to piss people off
>

> That doesn't piss me off, since as far as I'm concerned, Edge was
> already the worst available browser, and if they made it worse I don't
> care. Since I never open it, I don't care what page it opens to.

+1

Or if it even works.

Rene

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<lg95bgp6cja1e3dfn6ear818bkkq07ttgr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45242&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45242

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 09:20:16 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 29 May 2021 21:20 UTC

On Sat, 29 May 2021 06:55:21 -0700, ele@thezoo.com wrote:

> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser. They didn't give any
> choice, just pushed it.

Microsoft pushed that update to me while I was ona metered connection,
even though I have turned off "Download Updates over metered
connections". MS must be pretty desperate to get it onto people's
computers, come hell or high water.

> Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
> but to go to their website, that's the default. You use to be able
> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank). But it's no longer
> available. The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
> you change.

You can still set your home page in the shortcut which you use to start
up Microsoft Edge. Change the shortcut's 'Target' setting like so:

[Old] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe"
[New] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --single-argument about:blank

Edge will still open your chosen home page this way. But since this
pushed update, Edge will also open a second tab in the background with
their home page.

> Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser.

Go for it.

> Problem is,
> Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
> can't access, so I'll have to save each site, manually.

Fiddlesticks and poppycock. Firefox _can_ import bookmarks from this
version of Edge.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<86c5bg586ul1l7ni8vgkivv9d6sib4aq2o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45243&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45243

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 09:33:08 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 29 May 2021 21:33 UTC

On Sat, 29 May 2021 10:25:31 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> ele@thezoo.com wrote:

>> You use to be able
>> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank). But it's no longer
>> available. The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
>> you change.
>>

> Not that I use Edge but you can do what you wish
>
> 3-dot menu > Settings > On startup > Open a specific page or pages >
> click 3-dots > enter 'about:blank'

That setting used to work in Edge version 90.0.818.62, but it does not
work any more in Edge version 91.0.864.37.

Here, Edge version 91.0.864.37 ignores that setting and opens the 'New tab'
page.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<k1d5bgp6igtt1uc06gelqpa10nds2lg2qi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45244&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45244

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 09:39:14 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 29 May 2021 21:39 UTC

If you want a beta version, go to <https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-gb/>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<asqkcpzgcs4l$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45246&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45246

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 17:17:06 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 29 May 2021 22:17 UTC

<ele@thezoo.com> wrote:

> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser. They didn't give any
> choice, just pushed it. Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
> but to go to their website, that's the default. You use to be able
> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank). But it's no longer
> available. The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
> you change.
>
> What a bunch of bull shit!
>
> Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser. Problem is,
> Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
> can't access, so I'll have to save each site, manually.
>
> Thanks Microshaft, you know how to piss people off

Oh, what you're really complaining about is the new tab content. You do
NOT *go* to any Microsoft web site with a new tab. You get their search
object displayed in a new tab. If you click on the gear icon, you can
customize what shows in the new tab. I turned off all that crap, so all
I see is the search object in a new tab when either loading C-Edge to
about:blank or loading a new blank tab.

Microsoft adopted Google's rendering engine (Blink) and Google's
Javascript engine (V8), so no suprise they adopted Google's new tab
page. You didn't hear anything about that Edge going Chrome? That's
why I call it C-Edge, for Chromium Edge. Once Edge adopted Google's
rendering and scripting engines, I dumped Chrome and instead use C-Edge
as my backup web browser. C-Edge has more user options than Chrome.
Firefox is my primary web browser.

Just get an extension from Google's extensions site. Chrome extensions
work in C-Edge. So, get a blank new tab extension. I had to do it in
Chrome. Now you'll have to do it in C-Edge, too. I got one that was
very basic at:

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/blank-tab/ihknoknoahjhldmpdoajjdkfjhddgpcd

I saw another that would let you specify URLs, and had other options,
but all I wanted was to have C-Edge load with a blank page, and have new
tabs open as blank.

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<kod5bg54dmp81r90jbkkmm8vhntijkq3j8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45247&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45247

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 10:27:58 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 29 May 2021 22:27 UTC

On Sat, 29 May 2021 12:20:50 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Don't use 'edge://blank/', use 'about:blank' and you will successfully
> get a blank page.

That setting used to work in Edge version 90.0.818.62.
That setting does not work here in Edge version 91.0.864.37.
In 91.0.864.37 I get the 'New tab' page, regardless of
that setting.

<https://i.imgur.com/BWbqWxR.png>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<0866bg506k18hdghauslplqa002c4gqe4a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45261&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45261

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 17:19:39 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 30 May 2021 05:19 UTC

On Sat, 29 May 2021 23:00:47 +0100, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:

> Microsoft NEVER downloads anything over a metered connection.

That has not been true since Windows 10 version 1703 (Creators Update)
four years ago.

Starting with Windows 10 version 1703, Microsoft's policy became this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We’ll automatically download and install updates, except on
metered connections (where charges may apply). In that case,
we’ll automatically download only those updates required to
keep Windows running smoothly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If Microsoft wants to push an update over a metered connection,
Microsoft can simply decide that the update is “required to keep
Windows running smoothly” (whatever that means).

REF: <https://www.intowindows.com/windows-10-automatically-downloads-updates-on-metered-connections/>

and: <https://www.pcworld.com/article/3181991/windows-10s-creators-update-may-nerf-a-workaround-to-mandatory-updates.html>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<s8vlsc$lbn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45264&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45264

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 05:28:43 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Sun, 30 May 2021 09:28 UTC

ele@thezoo.com wrote:
> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser. They didn't give any
> choice, just pushed it. Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
> but to go to their website, that's the default. You use to be able
> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank). But it's no longer
> available. The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
> you change.
>
> What a bunch of bull shit!
>
> Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser. Problem is,
> Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
> can't access, so I'll have to save each site, manually.
>
> Thanks Microshaft, you know how to piss people off

Edge Cr - 91.0.864.37
Just needs a Reset, then configure
And Ensure after, that other settings are intact
Appearance - Show Home button and Set New Home Page with Home page url entered
Startup - Open a specific page with url entered
Close and Open Edge
- may have to repeat more than once if you deviate from the above sequence.

Once done, if desired, the Show Home button can be toggled off.

Works here with a local html, Google.com, Msn.com
- any and all combinations of the 3, 2 or 1

Having said the above, it was an annoyance, but fixable.

....winston

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<0001HW.2663A17301B305B670000BB3838F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45267&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45267

Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 06:33:23 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Wolffan - Sun, 30 May 2021 10:33 UTC

On 2021 May29, ele@thezoo.com wrote
(in article<hhh4bglasg8sd292nk3gne0m69b07k7k1m@4ax.com>):

> Microsoft pushed an update to the Edge browser. They didn't give any
> choice, just pushed it. Now, when you open Edge, you have no choice
> but to go to their website, that's the default. You use to be able
> to open up to a home page (I prefer about:blank). But it's no longer
> available. The browser opens up to Microsoft no matter what setting
> you change.
>
> What a bunch of bull shit!
>
> Looks like I'm going to have to find a new browser. Problem is,
> Edge keeps all your favorite sites in a file that any other browser
> can't access, so I'll have to save each site, manually.
>
> Thanks Microshaft, you know how to piss people off

I’ve gone over the replies to this thread. It seems that:

1 MS really, really, REALLY wants to force ’New Edge’ onto all Win 10
installs.

2 You don’t like the way that ’New Edge’ behaves.

I personally run Edge, new or otherwise, only when I forget that if I click
on a link inside the weblink suggestions thrown up by MS’s search box on
the task bar, those links open in Edge, no matter what my default browser is.
Otherwise I run FireFox, on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Note that Apple and
Ubuntu don’t pull shenanigans to try to force a non-default browser.
Indeed, I can even simply delete Safari on a Mac if I want to. May I suggest
that you try Firefox? Or, indeed, virtually any other web browser, with the
exception of Chrome?

Re: Microsoft forcing you to go to their website

<19r5y9yozfhiw$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45281&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45281

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 12:19:29 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 30 May 2021 17:19 UTC

Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:

> I personally run Edge, new or otherwise, only when I forget that if I
> click on a link inside the weblink suggestions thrown up by MS’s
> search box on the task bar, those links open in Edge, no matter what
> my default browser is.

That is caused by the definition of the ms-edge:// protocol handler in
the registry. Instead of using http(s):// for the protocol, the
internal web pages, those linked to by searches, or even sites that use
them, they use ms-edge:// for the protocol. Many companies have defined
their own protocols, like Steam, Norton, and so on. Steam uses it to
load games using their program: click on a steam:// link and the arg is
passed to their loader. Norton used it to load their HTA (HTML
Application based on IE libs) which was their user interface to their AV
(haven't used Norton for a long time, so doubt they still do that).
Anyone can define their own protocol handler, and then register it in
the registry. To get around the ms-edge:// protocol handler, you could
try to figure out how to edit the registry yourself, or you could use:

https://github.com/da2x/EdgeDeflector

Although its author calls it a redirection, it really is registry edits
to redefine the ms-edge:// handler in the registry to instead load the
author's .exe which in turn looks at which is defined as the default URL
(http(s)) handler, and load the URL into that default handler. It
nullifies the ms-edge:// URL handler to point instead at the author's
handler which loads whatever is defined as the default web browser.