Spock: The odds of surviving another attack are 13562190123 to 1, Captain.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / News and Interests Widget

SubjectAuthor
* News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
+* Re: News and Interests Widget...w¡ñ§±¤n
|`* Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
| `* Re: News and Interests Widget...w¡ñ§±¤n
|  `* Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
|   `* Re: News and Interests Widget...w¡ñ§±¤n
|    `- Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
+* Re: News and Interests WidgetVanguardLH
|+* Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
||`* Re: News and Interests WidgetVanguardLH
|| `- Re: News and Interests Widgetnospam
|`* Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
| `* Re: News and Interests WidgetRene Lamontagne
|  +- Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
|  `* Re: News and Interests WidgetRene Lamontagne
|   +* Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
|   |+* Re: News and Interests WidgetRene Lamontagne
|   ||`* Re: News and Interests Widget...w¡ñ§±¤n
|   || `- Re: News and Interests WidgetRene Lamontagne
|   |`* Re: News and Interests Widget...w¡ñ§±¤n
|   | `* Re: News and Interests WidgetTavis Ormandy
|   |  `- Re: News and Interests Widget...w¡ñ§±¤n
|   `* Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and Interests Widget)VanguardLH
|    +- Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and Interests Widget)nospam
|    `* Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and InterestsKen Blake
|     +- Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and InterestsTavis Ormandy
|     `* Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded headerVanguardLH
|      `* Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded headerdillinger
|       `* Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded headerVanguardLH
|        `* Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header...w¡ñ§±¤n
|         `- Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded headerFrank Slootweg
`* Re: News and Interests WidgetRoger Blake
 `- Re: News and Interests WidgetVanguardLH

Pages:12
News and Interests Widget

<ijbupiFe5uhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46489&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46489

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: News and Interests Widget
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 09:58:26 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 16:58 UTC

This is new to me, but I wanted to see it and give it a try. But despite
reading all the info about how to turn it on, nothing I tried worked.

I keep my taskbar on the left side of the screen, and I just realized
that that was the problem. I moved it to the bottom to try to get the
News and Interests Widget, and voilà! That worked.

How strange that the task bar has to be on the bottom and that neither
Microsoft nor any other web page on the subject mentions that it only
works with a taskbar on the bottom.

I'kk keep my taskbar on the bottom for a while and try the widget.
Depending on how much I like it, I may keep it this way for a while or

Ken

Re: News and Interests Widget

<saqo74$rei$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46493&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46493

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: News and Interests Widget
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 15:10:27 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 19:10 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> How strange that the task bar has to be on the bottom and that neither
> Microsoft nor any other web page on the subject mentions that it only
> works with a taskbar on the bottom.

Covered by MSFT when N&I showed up in Insider Build and also by a MSFT
Support Article coinciding with N&I availability. Also covered/mentioned
by 'other' web page.

MSFT
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/stay-up-to-date-with-news-and-interests-a39baa08-7488-4169-9ed8-577238f46f8f>
<qp>
News and interests is only available on primary monitors and where the
***taskbar is aligned to the bottom of the screen***.
</qp>

May 21st Windows Club
<https://www.thewindowsclub.com/news-and-interests-not-showing-or-missing>
<qp>
News and Interest ***shows only when the Taskbar is docked to the
bottom***, and not when it is placed at the top or sides.
</qp>

Additionally its presence or lack of can be a real estate(monitor size) issue.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: News and Interests Widget

<ijc9iuFg8h6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46496&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46496

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 13:02:37 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 20:02 UTC

On 6/21/2021 12:10 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> How strange that the task bar has to be on the bottom and that neither
>> Microsoft nor any other web page on the subject mentions that it only
>> works with a taskbar on the bottom.
>
> Covered by MSFT when N&I showed up in Insider Build

Okay, but as far as I'm concerned, insider builds don't count. Most
people never see them.

> and also by a MSFT
> Support Article coinciding with N&I availability. Also covered/mentioned
> by 'other' web page.

Okay, but I never saw it mentioned anywhere. As far as I'm concerned,
they didn't do a good job of making it clear.

> MSFT
> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/stay-up-to-date-with-news-and-interests-a39baa08-7488-4169-9ed8-577238f46f8f>
> <qp>
> News and interests is only available on primary monitors a

Yes, I had seen that...

> and where the
> ***taskbar is aligned to the bottom of the screen***.

....but not that. As far as I'm concerned, both of those pieces of info
should be on *every* page that tells people how to use it.

> </qp>
>
> May 21st Windows Club
> <https://www.thewindowsclub.com/news-and-interests-not-showing-or-missing>
> <qp>
> News and Interest ***shows only when the Taskbar is docked to the
> bottom***, and not when it is placed at the top or sides.
> </qp>

Besides their not making it clear, why is there that restriction? I
neither seems necessary nor desirable.

> Additionally its presence or lack of can be a real estate(monitor size) issue.

--
Ken

Re: News and Interests Widget

<sas22m$rev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46499&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46499

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 03:04:54 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 07:04 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> On 6/21/2021 12:10 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
>> Ken Blake wrote:
>>> How strange that the task bar has to be on the bottom and that neither
>>> Microsoft nor any other web page on the subject mentions that it only
>>> works with a taskbar on the bottom.
>>
>> Mentioned by MSFT Support Article coinciding with N&I availability.
>> Also covered/mentioned by 'other' web page.
>> MSFT
>> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/stay-up-to-date-with-news-and-interests-a39baa08-7488-4169-9ed8-577238f46f8f>
>>
>> May 21st Windows Club
>> <https://www.thewindowsclub.com/news-and-interests-not-showing-or-missing>
>> <qp>
>> News and Interest ***shows only when the Taskbar is docked to the
>> bottom***, and not when it is placed at the top or sides.
>> </qp>
>
> As far as I'm concerned, both of those pieces of info
> should be on *every* page that tells people how to use it.

Was only showing that what you mentioned 'Microsoft nor any other web page
on the subject mentions that it only works with a Taskbar on the bottom'
wasn't valid.

A simple Google search and find(about 20 sec) easily showed it was
mentioned and in the most likely place that's been the usual location for
information on a Windows 8/10 features for the last 6 years
=> A MSFT Support article.
- No Insider info needed to find it.

Lol...Don't hold out for 'should be on every page that tells people how to
use it'

Also, this is one of those cases where 'using a MSFT account as Windows
logon' and Edge Cr provides more flexibility and options during use. If
strictly using N&I in a Local Account, then that's pretty much coming
along for the ride not caring where the ride goes.

For Me(in an MSA and Local logon) I just turn it off in its Taskbar
setting, and use GPO to disable it completely already having enough routes
to obtain the information it 'force-fed auto-feeds'.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: News and Interests Widget

<1id4d6jwypbgw$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46501&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46501

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 05:09:15 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 10:09 UTC

Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:

> This is new to me, but I wanted to see it and give it a try. But despite
> reading all the info about how to turn it on, nothing I tried worked.
>
> I keep my taskbar on the left side of the screen, and I just realized
> that that was the problem. I moved it to the bottom to try to get the
> News and Interests Widget, and voilà! That worked.
>
> How strange that the task bar has to be on the bottom and that neither
> Microsoft nor any other web page on the subject mentions that it only
> works with a taskbar on the bottom.
>
> I'kk keep my taskbar on the bottom for a while and try the widget.
> Depending on how much I like it, I may keep it this way for a while or

Could be a single row (or column when placed on the sides of the
display) is insufficient to display the information. When I had it
after an update, it showed the weather, but that requires several
characters at a font size (didn't bother to check if the font could be
reduced in size). When the taskbar is at the sides, did you try to
increase its height (now its width) to make it a 2-column taskbar?

Re: News and Interests Widget

<ijea2gFruleU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46504&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46504

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 07:23:12 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 14:23 UTC

On 6/22/2021 3:09 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is new to me, but I wanted to see it and give it a try. But despite
>> reading all the info about how to turn it on, nothing I tried worked.
>>
>> I keep my taskbar on the left side of the screen, and I just realized
>> that that was the problem. I moved it to the bottom to try to get the
>> News and Interests Widget, and voilà! That worked.
>>
>> How strange that the task bar has to be on the bottom and that neither
>> Microsoft nor any other web page on the subject mentions that it only
>> works with a taskbar on the bottom.
>>
>> I'kk keep my taskbar on the bottom for a while and try the widget.
>> Depending on how much I like it, I may keep it this way for a while or
>
> Could be a single row (or column when placed on the sides of the
> display) is insufficient to display the information.

No, that wasn't the issue. See Winston's reply.

When I had it
> after an update, it showed the weather, but that requires several
> characters at a font size (didn't bother to check if the font could be
> reduced in size). When the taskbar is at the sides, did you try to
> increase its height (now its width) to make it a 2-column taskbar?

--
Ken

Re: News and Interests Widget

<ijea7eFruleU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46505&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46505

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 07:25:49 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 14:25 UTC

On 6/22/2021 3:09 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is new to me, but I wanted to see it and give it a try. But despite
>> reading all the info about how to turn it on, nothing I tried worked.
>>
>> I keep my taskbar on the left side of the screen, and I just realized
>> that that was the problem. I moved it to the bottom to try to get the
>> News and Interests Widget, and voilà! That worked.
>>
>> How strange that the task bar has to be on the bottom and that neither
>> Microsoft nor any other web page on the subject mentions that it only
>> works with a taskbar on the bottom.
>>
>> I'kk keep my taskbar on the bottom for a while and try the widget.
>> Depending on how much I like it, I may keep it this way for a while or
>
> Could be a single row (or column when placed on the sides of the
> display) is insufficient to display the information. When I had it
> after an update, it showed the weather, but that requires several
> characters at a font size (didn't bother to check if the font could be
> reduced in size). When the taskbar is at the sides, did you try to
> increase its height (now its width) to make it a 2-column taskbar?

And by the way, hovering over it doesn't work, even though that choice
*is* checked. I don't really care; I'm just mentioning something that
doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

--
Ken

Re: News and Interests Widget

<ijebd8Fs8jmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46506&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46506

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 07:45:58 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 14:45 UTC

On 6/22/2021 12:04 AM, ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>>>
>>> Mentioned by MSFT Support Article coinciding with N&I availability.
>>> Also covered/mentioned by 'other' web page.
>>> MSFT
>>> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/stay-up-to-date-with-news-and-interests-a39baa08-7488-4169-9ed8-577238f46f8f>
>>>
>>> May 21st Windows Club
>>> <https://www.thewindowsclub.com/news-and-interests-not-showing-or-missing>
>>> <qp>
>>> News and Interest ***shows only when the Taskbar is docked to the
>>> bottom***, and not when it is placed at the top or sides.
>>> </qp>
>>
>> As far as I'm concerned, both of those pieces of info
>> should be on *every* page that tells people how to use it.
>>
> Was only showing that what you mentioned 'Microsoft nor any other web page
> on the subject mentions that it only works with a Taskbar on the bottom'
> wasn't valid.
>
> A simple Google search and find(about 20 sec) easily showed it was
> mentioned and in the most likely place that's been the usual location for

A Google search didn't find it here. I can't remember exactly what I
searched on, but perhaps I didn't do it correctly.

> information on a Windows 8/10 features for the last 6 years
> => A MSFT Support article.
> - No Insider info needed to find it.
>
> Lol...Don't hold out for 'should be on every page that tells people how to
> use it'

This is not a big issue for me, especially since I'll probably go back
to putting the taskbar on the left, but yes, as far as I'm concerned
when Microsoft (or anyone else) tells someone how to use something, the
information should always be complete.

> Also, this is one of those cases where 'using a MSFT account as Windows
> logon' and Edge Cr provides more flexibility and options during use. If
> strictly using N&I in a Local Account, then that's pretty much coming
> along for the ride not caring where the ride goes.
>
> For Me(in an MSA and Local logon) I just turn it off in its Taskbar
> setting, and use GPO to disable it completely already having enough routes
> to obtain the information it 'force-fed auto-feeds'.

I also have enough other routes, but that one seemed to be particularly
easy to use. But as I said above, I probably won't keep it.

--
Ken

Re: News and Interests Widget

<ijecvrFsgovU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46510&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46510

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 10:13:00 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:13 UTC

On 2021-06-22 9:25 a.m., Ken Blake wrote:
> On 6/22/2021 3:09 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This is new to me, but I wanted to see it and give it a try. But
>>> despite reading all the info about how to turn it on, nothing I tried
>>> worked.
>>>
>>> I keep my taskbar on the left side of the screen, and I just realized
>>> that that was the problem. I moved it to the bottom to try to get the
>>> News and Interests Widget, and voilà! That worked.
>>>
>>> How strange that the task bar has to be on the bottom and that
>>> neither Microsoft nor any other web page on the subject mentions that
>>> it only works with a taskbar on the bottom.
>>>
>>> I'kk keep my taskbar on the bottom for a while and try the widget.
>>> Depending on how much I like it, I may keep it this way for a while
>>> or go back to having it on the left and giving up the widget.
>>
>> Could be a single row (or column when placed on the sides of the
>> display) is insufficient to display the information.  When I had it
>> after an update, it showed the weather, but that requires several
>> characters at a font size (didn't bother to check if the font could be
>> reduced in size).  When the taskbar is at the sides, did you try to
>> increase its height (now its width) to make it a 2-column taskbar?
>

> And by the way, hovering over it doesn't work, even though that choice
> *is* checked. I don't really care; I'm just mentioning something that
> doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

It is working fine now after a lot of previous battles with bad KB
> updates, As ken said it will not work on a left taskbar, even extended
> to 4 or 5 widths, Open on hover works but it takes 4 or 5 seconds to
> activate, That said I will not be using it either, as like you people I
> have enough other feeds and don't need to interrupt what I am doing to
> see news every few minutes, When I want to see or read news I go to my
> news app and read what I want.
>
> Rene

Re: News and Interests Widget

<ijedv2Fsod5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46511&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46511

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 08:29:37 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:29 UTC

On 6/22/2021 8:13 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-06-22 9:25 a.m., Ken Blake wrote:

>>> Could be a single row (or column when placed on the sides of the
>>> display) is insufficient to display the information.  When I had it
>>> after an update, it showed the weather, but that requires several
>>> characters at a font size (didn't bother to check if the font could be
>>> reduced in size).  When the taskbar is at the sides, did you try to
>>> increase its height (now its width) to make it a 2-column taskbar?
>>

>> And by the way, hovering over it doesn't work, even though that choice
>> *is* checked. I don't really care; I'm just mentioning something that
>> doesn't work the way it's supposed to.
>>

> It is working fine now after a lot of previous battles with bad KB
> > updates, As ken said it will not work on a left taskbar,

I said it didn't work for *me*. It was Winston who clarified that it
wasn't supposed to and wouldn't work for anyone.

By the way, before I corrected it, I accidentally typed "Windowston."
That's perhaps a good name for him. <g>

> > even extended
> > to 4 or 5 widths, Open on hover works but it takes 4 or 5 seconds to
> > activate,

I just tried hovering for 10 or 20 seconds. It still didn't work, but I
still don't care.

--
Ken

Re: News and Interests Widget

<ijef62Fsv3uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46513&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46513

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 10:50:27 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:50 UTC

On 2021-06-22 10:13 a.m., Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-06-22 9:25 a.m., Ken Blake wrote:

>>> Could be a single row (or column when placed on the sides of the
>>> display) is insufficient to display the information.  When I had it
>>> after an update, it showed the weather, but that requires several
>>> characters at a font size (didn't bother to check if the font could be
>>> reduced in size).  When the taskbar is at the sides, did you try to
>>> increase its height (now its width) to make it a 2-column taskbar?
>>

>> And by the way, hovering over it doesn't work, even though that choice
>> *is* checked. I don't really care; I'm just mentioning something that
>> doesn't work the way it's supposed to.
>>

>  It is working fine now after a lot of previous battles with bad KB
> > updates,  As ken said it will not work on a left taskbar, even extended
> > to 4 or 5 widths, Open on hover works but it takes 4 or 5 seconds to
> > activate, That said I will not be using it either, as like you people I
> > have enough other feeds and don't need to interrupt what I am doing to
> > see news every few minutes, When I want to see or read news I go to my
> > news app and read what I want.
> >
> > Rene

How come I don't see Winston's posts anymore? I can't find him in my
killfile unless He is under a different handle, if you know it could you
please pass it to me.

Thanks, Rene

Re: News and Interests Widget

<ijeg5kFt59jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46515&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46515

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 09:07:15 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 16:07 UTC

On 6/22/2021 8:50 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-06-22 10:13 a.m., Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> And by the way, hovering over it doesn't work, even though that choice
>>> *is* checked. I don't really care; I'm just mentioning something that
>>> doesn't work the way it's supposed to.
>>>

>>  It is working fine now after a lot of previous battles with bad KB
>> > updates,  As ken said it will not work on a left taskbar, even extended
>> > to 4 or 5 widths, Open on hover works but it takes 4 or 5 seconds to
>> > activate, That said I will not be using it either, as like you people I
>> > have enough other feeds and don't need to interrupt what I am doing to
>> > see news every few minutes, When I want to see or read news I go to my
>> > news app and read what I want.
>> >
>> > Rene
>>

> How come I don't see Winston's posts anymore? I can't find him in my
> killfile unless He is under a different handle, if you know it could you
> please pass it to me.

He types funny. <g> It's w¡ñ§±¤n

Don't killfile him. He's very well informed, and his posts are usually
very valuable (even though I had a minor disagreement with him in this
thread).

By the way, he's the only participant here I've ever actually met.

--
Ken

Re: News and Interests Widget

<ijegp6Ft8mnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46518&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46518

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 11:17:42 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 16:17 UTC

On 2021-06-22 11:07 a.m., Ken Blake wrote:
> On 6/22/2021 8:50 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>>   It is working fine now after a lot of previous battles with bad KB
>>>  > updates,  As ken said it will not work on a left taskbar, even
>>> extended
>>>  > to 4 or 5 widths, Open on hover works but it takes 4 or 5 seconds to
>>>  > activate, That said I will not be using it either, as like you
>>> people I
>>>  > have enough other feeds and don't need to interrupt what I am
>>> doing to
>>>  > see news every few minutes, When I want to see or read news I go
>>> to my
>>>  > news app and read what I want.
>>>  >
>>>  > Rene
>>>

>> How come I don't see Winston's posts anymore? I can't find him in my
>> killfile unless He is under a different handle, if you know it could you
>> please pass it to me.
>

> He types funny. <g> It's w¡ñ§±¤n
>

> Don't killfile him. He's very well informed, and his posts are usually
> very valuable (even though I had a minor disagreement with him in this
> thread).
>
> By the way, he's the only participant here I've ever actually met.

No, I definitely don't want to KF him, his posts are indeed a great
value to us, he got me out of a hole just lately so I am very
appreciative of his help, I just didn't know that Funny name was him ,
Hi Winston. :-)

Thanks, Rene

Re: News and Interests Widget

<sat6sn$taa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46520&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46520

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 13:33:10 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 17:33 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> On 6/22/2021 12:04 AM, ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
>> A simple Google search and find(about 20 sec) easily showed it was
>> mentioned and in the most likely place that's been the usual location for
>

> A Google search didn't find it here. I can't remember exactly what I
> searched on, but perhaps I didn't do it correctly.

Sometimes the obvious is elusive when looking for a MSFT article.

Here's my term. Try it in Google or Bing
microsoft support news and interest

Optionally, here's the full link for Google and Bing - support article
should be the first search result in either

<https://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+support+news+and+interest>
or
<https://www.bing.com/search?q=microsoft+support+news+interest>

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and Interests Widget)

<1arajq5j6ijjp.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46521&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46521

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and Interests Widget)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 13:00:41 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:00 UTC

Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:

> How come I don't see Winston's posts anymore? I can't find him in my
> killfile unless He is under a different handle, if you know it could you
> please pass it to me.
>
> Thanks, Rene

"winston" uses UTF-8 encoding in his From header. "winston" doesn't
need UTF-8 encoding. ASCII would be fine. I have a filter that
eliminates posts by senders that are absent of any ASCII characters in
their From header, so it includes winston's posts. Maybe you have a
similar filter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Encoded-Word

If you look at the raw source of his posts, you will see in his From
header the following string:

From: =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?= <winstonmvp@gmail.com>

instead of:

From: ...winston <winstonmvp@gmail.com>

At times, awhile ago, his From was "...winston", and at other times it
was the UTF-8 encoded string. As I recall, it depended on which client
he used for submission. Maybe he's trying to use an ellipsis character
instead of 3 ASCII period characters (yeah, like we're going to call him
"dot dot dot winston", like some other posters that use the trademark,
copyright, and smiley characters in their nyms - but which I strip from
my attribution line when replying). With an ellipsis character, his
client might switch to UTF-8 encoding. Could be he is accenting a
character. Or maybe he configured his client to use a non-English
language despite "winston" can be represented entirely using ASCII, and
his messages are not non-ASCII7 and are not non-English.

It's his choice of what to use in his From header, but his name doesn't
require UTF-8 encoding. I knew of UTF-8 encoding in the Subject header,
because non-English speakers may need it for their native language.
Until winston's posts, I hadn't seen anyone using UTF-8 in the From
header. However, UTF-8 encoding is legit in the From header yet filters
in many clients will see the rendered string, not the encoded one.

My "no alphabetic chars in From" filter is a global flag. I would have
to follow with opt-in filters to exclude good posters that think they
need to UTF-8 encode their From header where ASCII would suffice.

Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and Interests Widget)

<220620211410150517%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46522&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46522

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 14:10:15 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:10 UTC

In article <1arajq5j6ijjp.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
wrote:

> "winston" uses UTF-8 encoding in his From header. "winston" doesn't
> need UTF-8 encoding.

everyone does. it's the current standard.

> ASCII would be fine.

no it wouldn't, because ascii doesn't support all characters.

> I have a filter that
> eliminates posts by senders that are absent of any ASCII characters in
> their From header, so it includes winston's posts. Maybe you have a
> similar filter.

your loss.

Re: News and Interests Widget

<1xfafuc7ienc1.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46523&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46523

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 13:16:30 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:16 UTC

Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:

> On 6/22/2021 3:09 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This is new to me, but I wanted to see it and give it a try. But despite
>>> reading all the info about how to turn it on, nothing I tried worked.
>>>
>>> I keep my taskbar on the left side of the screen, and I just realized
>>> that that was the problem. I moved it to the bottom to try to get the
>>> News and Interests Widget, and voilà! That worked.
>>>
>>> How strange that the task bar has to be on the bottom and that neither
>>> Microsoft nor any other web page on the subject mentions that it only
>>> works with a taskbar on the bottom.
>>>
>>> I'kk keep my taskbar on the bottom for a while and try the widget.
>>> Depending on how much I like it, I may keep it this way for a while or
>>
>> Could be a single row (or column when placed on the sides of the
>> display) is insufficient to display the information.
>
> No, that wasn't the issue. See Winston's reply.
>
> When I had it
>> after an update, it showed the weather, but that requires several
>> characters at a font size (didn't bother to check if the font could be
>> reduced in size). When the taskbar is at the sides, did you try to
>> increase its height (now its width) to make it a 2-column taskbar?

<aside>

Alas, I usually don't see winston's posts, because he UTF-8 encodes his
From header (instead of just the Subject header should he want to use
non-ASCII characters, like when using a non-English language). I have a
rule that flags posts where the sender's From headers has no ASCII
characters. His header looks like:

From: =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?= <winstonmvp@gmail.com>

Since "winston" can be completely made of ASCII7 characters, I have no
idea why he thinks it should be UTF-8 encoded. Something screwy with
his Seamonkey config. Perhaps he is using an ellipsis character instead
of just 3 periods, but then no one at work, home, or at a party is going
to call him "dot dot dot winston".

</aside>

As for the article winston cited, it makes no note under what conditions
the author tested, like if a multi-row taskbar will or will not work.
From his pics, his taskbar was just single height. No way to know if
the author did various testing to determine if his blanket statement was
valid. I see Rene verified that a higher/wider taskbar does not resolve
the the missing News widget.

I've never had the taskbar on the sides mostly because text labels won't
have enough space. That's why I figured the News taskbar widget might
also not have enough space to show text. According to Rene, looks like
the News widget is conditional on the taskbar's docking location.
Wonder if it works if the taskbar is on top or right.

Sorry, I'm not motivated to having Microsoft shove their feed in my
face. If I wanted that shi..., um, stuff, I'd open a web page with all
that ... stuff.

Re: News and Interests Widget

<sata6n$65c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46524&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46524

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 14:29:42 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:29 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-06-22 11:07 a.m., Ken Blake wrote:

>>> How come I don't see Winston's posts anymore? I can't find him in my
>>> killfile unless He is under a different handle, if you know it could you
>>> please pass it to me.
>>

>> He types funny. <g> It's w¡ñ§±¤n
>>

>> Don't killfile him. He's very well informed, and his posts are usually
>> very valuable (even though I had a minor disagreement with him in this
>> thread).
>>
>> By the way, he's the only participant here I've ever actually met.
>>

> No, I definitely don't want to KF him, his posts are indeed a great value
> to us, he got me out of a hole just lately so I am very appreciative of
> his help, I just didn't know that Funny name was him , Hi Winston. :-)
>
> Thanks,  Rene

Hi, Rene.
:)
Same signature, same posting name for most of the last decade.
Well almost<g>
When I setup this device after replacing the HD and clean installing with
a 1TB SSD I copied the posting and sig name from my other device for a
non-nttp security mailing list, didn't realize the last character in the
posting name was different than I used on this device with SeaMonkey news
client in the past.
n vs the earlier ñ
Apologize if caused some confusion. Not going to change it(lol, the nntp
popos might complain).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: News and Interests Widget

<220620211431226526%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46525&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46525

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 14:31:22 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:31 UTC

In article <1xfafuc7ienc1.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
wrote:

> Alas, I usually don't see winston's posts, because he UTF-8 encodes his
> From header (instead of just the Subject header should he want to use
> non-ASCII characters, like when using a non-English language). I have a
> rule that flags posts where the sender's From headers has no ASCII
> characters. His header looks like:
>
> From: =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?= <winstonmvp@gmail.com>

your newsreader needs to be updated.

utf-8 is used in more than just the from headers:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IDN-utopia-greek.jpg>

> Since "winston" can be completely made of ASCII7 characters, I have no
> idea why he thinks it should be UTF-8 encoded.

because utf-8 is the current standard and he wants to do that

Re: News and Interests Widget

<ijeqb2Fh35U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46527&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46527

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 14:00:51 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 19:00 UTC

On 2021-06-22 1:29 p.m., ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> He types funny. <g> It's w¡ñ§±¤n
>>>

>>> Don't killfile him. He's very well informed, and his posts are
>>> usually very valuable (even though I had a minor disagreement with
>>> him in this thread).
>>>
>>> By the way, he's the only participant here I've ever actually met.
>>>

>> No, I definitely don't want to KF him, his posts are indeed a great
>> value to us, he got me out of a hole just lately so I am very
>> appreciative of his help, I just didn't know that Funny name was him ,
>> Hi Winston. :-)
>>
>> Thanks,  Rene
>>

> Hi, Rene.
> :)
> Same signature, same posting name for most of the last decade.
> Well almost<g>
> When I setup this device after replacing the HD and clean installing
> with a 1TB SSD I copied the posting and sig name from my other device
> for a non-nttp security mailing list, didn't realize the last character
> in the posting name was different than I used on this device with
> SeaMonkey news client in the past.
>  n vs the earlier ñ
> Apologize if caused some confusion. Not going to change it(lol, the nntp
> popos might complain).

Thanks for the explanation Winston, It's all cool. :-)

Rene

Re: News and Interests Widget

<ijer38Fl2gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46528&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46528

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 12:13:44 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 19:13 UTC

On 6/22/2021 10:33 AM, ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> On 6/22/2021 12:04 AM, ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
>>> A simple Google search and find(about 20 sec) easily showed it was
>>> mentioned and in the most likely place that's been the usual location for
>>

>> A Google search didn't find it here. I can't remember exactly what I
>> searched on, but perhaps I didn't do it correctly.
>
> Sometimes the obvious is elusive when looking for a MSFT article.
>
> Here's my term. Try it in Google or Bing
> microsoft support news and interest

I dislike and never use Bing. Yep, the first hit in Google said
"News and interests is only available on primary monitors and where the
taskbar is aligned to the bottom of the screen."

As I said, I don't remember what I searched on, but I think it was
something like "Windows 10 news and interest."

> Optionally, here's the full link for Google and Bing - support article
> should be the first search result in either
>
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+support+news+and+interest>
> or
> <https://www.bing.com/search?q=microsoft+support+news+interest>

--
Ken

Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and Interests Widget)

<ijer9iFl2gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46529&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46529

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and Interests
Widget)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 12:17:06 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 19:17 UTC

On 6/22/2021 11:00 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> How come I don't see Winston's posts anymore? I can't find him in my
>> killfile unless He is under a different handle, if you know it could you
>> please pass it to me.
>>
>> Thanks, Rene
>
> "winston" uses UTF-8 encoding in his From header. "winston" doesn't
> need UTF-8 encoding. ASCII would be fine. I have a filter that
> eliminates posts by senders that are absent of any ASCII characters in
> their From header, so it includes winston's posts. Maybe you have a
> similar filter.

Just curious--why do you have such a filter? Did you run into several
trolls that worked on?

--
Ken

Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and Interests Widget)

<ijerufFrmdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46530&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46530

From: tav...@gmail.com (Tavis Ormandy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Widget)
Date: 22 Jun 2021 19:28:16 GMT
 by: Tavis Ormandy - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 19:28 UTC

On 2021-06-22, Ken Blake wrote:
>> "winston" uses UTF-8 encoding in his From header. "winston" doesn't
>> need UTF-8 encoding. ASCII would be fine. I have a filter that
>> eliminates posts by senders that are absent of any ASCII characters in
>> their From header, so it includes winston's posts. Maybe you have a
>> similar filter.
>
> Just curious--why do you have such a filter? Did you run into several
> trolls that worked on?

The standard[1] does say that using encoded-words to represent strings
of purely ASCII characters is "allowed, but discouraged", so while not
*wrong* it might indicate a troublemaker :-)

Tavis.

[1] RFC 2047, Section 5.3

--
_o) $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
/\\ _o) _o) $ finger taviso@sdf.org

Re: News and Interests Widget

<satf44$39r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46531&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46531

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:53:40 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 19:53 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

> He types funny. <g> It's w¡ñ§±¤n
>

> Don't killfile him. He's very well informed, and his posts are usually
> very valuable (even though I had a minor disagreement with him in this
> thread).
>
> By the way, he's the only participant here I've ever actually met.

lol....not typed, actually a cut and paste. Too much work to enter those
characters.

Contrary to other's input, its not UTF8 per se.
UTF8 is encoding used to convert numbers into binary data.
Unicode is a character set to translate characters into unique
alphanumeric characters and numbers regardless of platform, device,
application or iirc even language.

It is just a string of Character Map characters that I've used pretty much
forever for nntp that all news clients(Mozilla based, WLM, WM, other 3rd
party etc.) convert into a common string of letters and numbers.
- e.g. the 's' replaced with § or Alt+0167

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Like you, I've been lucky to have(and
still) acquire a ton of knowledge from some talented folks.

Chatted with our colleague(HH), same location as you, a few days ago.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: News and Interests Widget

<ijf1ehF1gchU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46533&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46533

From: tav...@gmail.com (Tavis Ormandy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 22 Jun 2021 21:02:09 GMT
 by: Tavis Ormandy - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 21:02 UTC

> Contrary to other's input, its not UTF8 per se.

It definitely is! You might not have used it on purpose, but your
newsreader encoded it like this:

=?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?=

That's an RFC2047 encoded word with the charset "UTF-8" and "B"
(BASE64) encoding. Decoding the word we get these bytes:

2e | 2e | 2e | 77 | c2 a1 | c3 b1 | c2 a7 | c2 b1 | c2 a4 | 6e

That is UTF-8, c2 is a leading byte indicator for a character from the
Latin-1 Supplement, so c2 a1 is U+00A1 the Inverted Exclamation Mark.
Then c3 b1 is U+00F1, latin small letter n with tilde, etc, etc.

Tavis.

--
_o) $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
/\\ _o) _o) $ finger taviso@sdf.org