Real Users never use the Help key.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header

SubjectAuthor
* News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
+* Re: News and Interests Widget...w¡ñ§±¤n
|`* Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
| `* Re: News and Interests Widget...w¡ñ§±¤n
|  `* Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
|   `* Re: News and Interests Widget...w¡ñ§±¤n
|    `- Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
+* Re: News and Interests WidgetVanguardLH
|+* Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
||`* Re: News and Interests WidgetVanguardLH
|| `- Re: News and Interests Widgetnospam
|`* Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
| `* Re: News and Interests WidgetRene Lamontagne
|  +- Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
|  `* Re: News and Interests WidgetRene Lamontagne
|   +* Re: News and Interests WidgetKen Blake
|   |+* Re: News and Interests WidgetRene Lamontagne
|   ||`* Re: News and Interests Widget...w¡ñ§±¤n
|   || `- Re: News and Interests WidgetRene Lamontagne
|   |`* Re: News and Interests Widget...w¡ñ§±¤n
|   | `* Re: News and Interests WidgetTavis Ormandy
|   |  `- Re: News and Interests Widget...w¡ñ§±¤n
|   `* Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and Interests Widget)VanguardLH
|    +- Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and Interests Widget)nospam
|    `* Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and InterestsKen Blake
|     +- Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header (was: News and InterestsTavis Ormandy
|     `* Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded headerVanguardLH
|      `* Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded headerdillinger
|       `* Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded headerVanguardLH
|        `* Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header...w¡ñ§±¤n
|         `- Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded headerFrank Slootweg
`* Re: News and Interests WidgetRoger Blake
 `- Re: News and Interests WidgetVanguardLH

Pages:12
Re: News and Interests Widget

<20210622182008@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46536&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46536

From: rogbl...@iname.invalid (Roger Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: News and Interests Widget
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 22:21:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roger Blake - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 22:21 UTC

On 2021-06-21, Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:
> This is new to me, but I wanted to see it and give it a try. But despite
> reading all the info about how to turn it on, nothing I tried worked.

It's just more obnoxious crap, installed and turned on without asking
the user, that needs to be disabled. The amount of garbage that needs
to be turned off in Windows 10 to make it even halfway palatable is
staggering.

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com
Don't talk to cops! -- https://DontTalkToCops.com

Re: News and Interests Widget

<1dl9ds3nq4ylg.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46540&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46540

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 20:06:08 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 01:06 UTC

Roger Blake <rogblake@iname.invalid> wrote:

> On 2021-06-21, Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:
>> This is new to me, but I wanted to see it and give it a try. But despite
>> reading all the info about how to turn it on, nothing I tried worked.
>
> It's just more obnoxious crap, installed and turned on without asking
> the user, that needs to be disabled. The amount of garbage that needs
> to be turned off in Windows 10 to make it even halfway palatable is
> staggering.

But there'd be far fewer Windows experts if no large repertoire of
tweaks wasn't needed. Tweaking is expected of Windows. After all,
without all of them, and Microsoft giving you an OS set in stone, users
couldn't tweak the background color, title bar colors, datestamp format,
taskbar height, add/remove toolbars in the taskbar. Instead of
defaulting to on-by-default, yeah, the new features could be
off-by-default, but then the vast majority of users, even those that
want a new feature, wouldn't know about them. At least, with this new
feature, turning it off is easy. Try to get OneDrive to stop spamming
you with offers of trialing MS Office 365. No tweak for that, so, as
you request, users don't have a means to customize. Take away all the
tweaks via settings or registry edits, and block any software that
attempts to emulate those tweaks, so you get an OS fixed in stone, and
lots of users would hate Windows even more.

Here we are. Shaddup!
Here we are. Shaddup! Sorry, I don't do requests.
We are hiding. Never heard of it, so never used although might want.

I'm sure the developers were proud of their widget, and want it seen.
Plus it's another feature that Marketing can promote to prove Windows
isn't stagnant (as some users would prefer).

Just look at all the settings adjustable by tweakers, like WinAero
Tweaker. If the OS were fixed (no tweaking), all those features would
be fixed, too. You wouldn't be able to disable telemetry, use themes,
change any coloring, change wallpapers or the desktop/background, change
sound events or even disable them, disable on-hover taskbar thumbnails,
disable or replace the lockscreen, adjust the screensaver, hide system
icons in the systray or even choose which apps' icons are hidden or
always shown in the systray, and on and on for every feature that was
one time new.

What if Microsoft decided to include the uncrippled full suite of MS
Office 365 for free but never announced it or made it visible in a
Windows installation? Someone might discover it, and publish a comment
which would alert other users, but the vast majority of Windows users
wouldn't know a new feature got added.

The only constant in the universe is change.

Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header

<1m3brfe5yzw02.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46543&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46543

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 21:07:40 -0500
Posted-And-Mailed: yes
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 02:07 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10 on 2021/06/22 you wrote:

> On 6/22/2021 11:00 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> How come I don't see Winston's posts anymore? I can't find him in my
>>> killfile unless He is under a different handle, if you know it could you
>>> please pass it to me.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Rene
>>
>> "winston" uses UTF-8 encoding in his From header. "winston" doesn't
>> need UTF-8 encoding. ASCII would be fine. I have a filter that
>> eliminates posts by senders that are absent of any ASCII characters in
>> their From header, so it includes winston's posts. Maybe you have a
>> similar filter.
>
> Just curious--why do you have such a filter? Did you run into several
> trolls that worked on?

Yep, many. For example, there's pooh-the-cat who keeps trying to use
non-ASCII7 characters in his nym, but those that will still convey his
nym to the human eye. My filter looks for the absense of /any/ ASCII
characters, so the presence of just one won't fire that rule, which
means I need other filters on pooh-the-cat since he mixes chars. Alas,
filtering does not keep a running log on how many posts against which
each filter triggered. That would be handy to know how many posts to
which a filter was applied. I also have a rule where there are no
vowels in the Subject, or it's all numbers, or no lowercase (they start
they're yelling in the Subject).

I don't delete articles flagged by filters. Periodically I change my
view to All Messages to check if there were false positives, or the
filters were too unfocused. When a filter fires, it flags the article
as Ignored, and I use a default view of Hide Ignored Messages. If
someone mentions another poster, as happened here with Ken mentioning
winston, I can switch to the All Message view to check on winston.

I could try to filter-in winston after the global filter-out got
applied. However, in my client, filters work on the rendered version of
strings, so they will see winston's UTF-8 version, not the UTF-8 encoded
string. Plus, I cannot specify UTF-8 characters in the filters, just
ASCII. So, for now, I see no way to filter-in winston after filtering
out everyone else on which the global filter fires. While his From
header has =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?=, but my filters won't see
that, and instead will see the rendered ...w¡ñ§±¤n, and I cannot specify
UTF-8 chars in a filter, so I cannot filter in his UTF-8 rendered
version of his nym. At best, I might be able to filter him in by
checking on the address field in his From since he doesn't UTF-8 encode
that portion of his From header.

Since he is not using an elipsis, and since "winston" can be used as the
string in the From header without any UTF-8 coding, I don't know why his
client, Seamonkey, is putzing with his From header. UTF-8 encoding of
the message body does not mandate UTF-8 encoding of headers, but maybe
Seamonkey works that way.

Re: News and Interests Widget

<saucdj$nfa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46547&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46547

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 00:13:39 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 04:13 UTC

Tavis Ormandy wrote:
>> Contrary to other's input, its not UTF8 per se.
>
> It definitely is! You might not have used it on purpose, but your
> newsreader encoded it like this:
>
> =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?=
>
> That's an RFC2047 encoded word with the charset "UTF-8" and "B"
> (BASE64) encoding. Decoding the word we get these bytes:
>
> 2e | 2e | 2e | 77 | c2 a1 | c3 b1 | c2 a7 | c2 b1 | c2 a4 | 6e
> . . . w ? ? ? ? ? n
>
> That is UTF-8, c2 is a leading byte indicator for a character from the
> Latin-1 Supplement, so c2 a1 is U+00A1 the Inverted Exclamation Mark.
> Then c3 b1 is U+00F1, latin small letter n with tilde, etc, etc.
>
> Tavis.

Hi, Tavis.
Lol..I figured someone would jump on that.

Correct, didn't use UTF8 on purpose.

w U+0077
¡ U+1D62
ñ Alt+0241
§ Alt+0167
± OxB1
¤ Alt+0164
n U+006E (one time was using Alt 0241 ñ for last character)

¡ as created is U+1D62 'Latin Subscript Small letter i' as opposed to
U+00A1(or Alt 0161) Inverted Exclamation Mark.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header

<e05mqhxteg.ln2@spock.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46826&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46826

From: dillin...@invaild.not (dillinger)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 13:45:50 +0200
 by: dillinger - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 11:45 UTC

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 21:07:40 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?=

FWIW, =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?= is Base64.
And if you decode Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu you get ...w¡ñ§±¤n.
Apparently Winston is trying very hard to look geeky.

Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header

<9tfvez86zjev$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46964&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46964

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 00:22:09 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 05:22 UTC

dillinger <dillinger@invaild.not> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?=
>
> FWIW, =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?= is Base64.
> And if you decode Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu you get ...w¡ñ§±¤n.
> Apparently Winston is trying very hard to look geeky.

When he was posting under both the ASCII and UTF-8 versions in his
posts, he thought it was a problem or difference in which NNTP clients
he was using. I'm not sure he is being geeky, or is getting screwed by
the config of his client (Seamonkey).

I have it on my to-do list to add a block at the end of my filters to
filter-in known good posters. I have to test if I can filter him in
using the UTF-8 string (not how it is rendered because the filters only
work with ASCII) in his Subject header. I got one troll filtered out
based on him discovering UTF-8 encoding gets him past most filters. So,
when I get some time, I'll see if I can filter winston back in on his
UTF-8 string value.

Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header

<sbh2k6$lrl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47167&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#47167

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 02:23:00 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 06:23 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> dillinger <dillinger@invaild.not> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?=
>>
>> FWIW, =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?= is Base64.
>> And if you decode Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu you get ...w¡ñ§±¤n.
>> Apparently Winston is trying very hard to look geeky.
>
> When he was posting under both the ASCII and UTF-8 versions in his
> posts, he thought it was a problem or difference in which NNTP clients
> he was using. I'm not sure he is being geeky, or is getting screwed by
> the config of his client (Seamonkey).
>
> I have it on my to-do list to add a block at the end of my filters to
> filter-in known good posters. I have to test if I can filter him in
> using the UTF-8 string (not how it is rendered because the filters only
> work with ASCII) in his Subject header. I got one troll filtered out
> based on him discovering UTF-8 encoding gets him past most filters. So,
> when I get some time, I'll see if I can filter winston back in on his
> UTF-8 string value.

If your filtering is not achievable...let me know, I'll change the posting
name in SeaMonkey from the existing to ...winston while leaving the
in-message signature as-is.
(Lol...doing that though is likely to bring out the nym-shifting
detectives complaints until either I or Windows ceases to exist).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: Filtering on UTF-8 encoded header

<sbi3sb.fa0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47173&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#47173

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 30 Jun 2021 13:50:51 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 13:50 UTC

....w¡ñ§±¤n <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
> VanguardLH wrote:
> > dillinger <dillinger@invaild.not> wrote:

> >> FWIW, =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu?= is Base64.
> >> And if you decode Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqRu you get ...w¡ñ§±¤n.
> >> Apparently Winston is trying very hard to look geeky.
> >
> > When he was posting under both the ASCII and UTF-8 versions in his
> > posts, he thought it was a problem or difference in which NNTP clients
> > he was using. I'm not sure he is being geeky, or is getting screwed by
> > the config of his client (Seamonkey).
> >
> > I have it on my to-do list to add a block at the end of my filters to
> > filter-in known good posters. I have to test if I can filter him in
> > using the UTF-8 string (not how it is rendered because the filters only
> > work with ASCII) in his Subject header. I got one troll filtered out
> > based on him discovering UTF-8 encoding gets him past most filters. So,
> > when I get some time, I'll see if I can filter winston back in on his
> > UTF-8 string value.
>
> If your filtering is not achievable...let me know, I'll change the posting
> name in SeaMonkey from the existing to ...winston while leaving the
> in-message signature as-is.

I don't see why that would be neccessary. Why can't VanguardLH filter
on your e-mail address (if he can't filter on your (encoded or decoded)
name)?

There are umpteen situations where filtering on name/nym or e-mail
address doesn't work (well), so why is 'your' case different?

> (Lol...doing that though is likely to bring out the nym-shifting
> detectives complaints until either I or Windows ceases to exist).

Yep, especially the complaints from the *anonymous* nym-shifting
detectives, who complain about the alleged nym-shifting by people who
clearly do *not* nym-shift! PKB, anyone!? :-)