If loving linux is wrong, I dont wanna be right. -- Topic for #LinuxGER

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Laptop beeps every second

SubjectAuthor
* Laptop beeps every secondmicky
+* Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
|+* Re: Laptop beeps every secondPaul
||`* Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
|| `* Re: Laptop beeps every secondVanguardLH
||  +* Re: Laptop beeps every secondFrank Slootweg
||  |+* Re: Laptop beeps every secondKen Blake
||  ||+* Re: Laptop beeps every secondKen Blake
||  |||`* Re: Laptop beeps every secondFrank Slootweg
||  ||| `- Re: Laptop beeps every secondKen Blake
||  ||`* Re: Laptop beeps every secondJ. P. Gilliver (John)
||  || `* Re: Laptop beeps every secondKen Blake
||  ||  `* Re: Laptop beeps every secondJ. P. Gilliver (John)
||  ||   `* Re: Laptop beeps every secondKen Blake
||  ||    `* NirSoft Launcher (was: Re: Laptop beeps every second)J. P. Gilliver (John)
||  ||     `* Re: NirSoft LauncherKen Blake
||  ||      `* Re: NirSoft LauncherKen Blake
||  ||       `* Re: NirSoft Launcher...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
||  ||        `- Re: NirSoft LauncherKen Blake
||  |`* Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
||  | `* Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
||  |  +* Re: Laptop beeps every secondVanguardLH
||  |  |`- Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
||  |  +- Re: Laptop beeps every secondPaul
||  |  `* Re: Laptop beeps every secondFrank Slootweg
||  |   `* Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
||  |    `* Re: Laptop beeps every secondJ. P. Gilliver (John)
||  |     +* Re: Laptop beeps every secondFrank Slootweg
||  |     |`- Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
||  |     `* Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
||  |      +* Re: Laptop beeps every secondFrank Slootweg
||  |      |`* Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
||  |      | +* Re: Laptop beeps every secondMike S
||  |      | |`- Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
||  |      | `- Re: Laptop beeps every secondFrank Slootweg
||  |      `- Re: Laptop beeps every secondJ. P. Gilliver (John)
||  `- Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
|`- Re: Laptop beeps every secondMarco Moock
+- Re: Laptop beeps every secondAndy Burns
+* Re: Laptop beeps every secondVanguardLH
|`* Re: Laptop beeps every secondJ. P. Gilliver (John)
| `* Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
|  `* Re: Laptop beeps every secondshemp13
|   +* Re: Laptop beeps every secondCarlos E.R.
|   |+- Re: Laptop beeps every secondJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|   |`- Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky
|   `- Re: Laptop beeps every secondPaul
`* Re: Laptop beeps every secondBuffalo
 `- Re: Laptop beeps every secondmicky

Pages:12
Laptop beeps every second

<89dmpg5a8cjcfqenlpaub8esfs3hl156g2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55901&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55901

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Laptop beeps every second
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 01:25:28 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 06:25 UTC

I have a laptop, an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-573-35AQ

and it worked fine last spring, running win 10 fully updated,

but now I started it up, hoping to use it in January, and it has a
problem.

A) It beeps almost but not quite once a second. It continued to do this
after 2 restarts, and it starts even before the lone, startup Windows
logo first appears on the screen. Sometimes it stops for a little
while but then it starts up again.

I opened the volume mixer and there were two colunm, Speakers and
System Sounds. Muting out both, Speakers second, stopped the sound for
30 seconds, but then it started up again.

What makes sound if everything is muted?

I haven't tried everythig but Firefox Youtube works and it doesn't beep
thenm until I put the video on pause and then it starts up again.

????

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<q1empghe37ab804eukrdf0h7lsilh0bb70@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55902&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55902

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Laptop beeps every second
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 01:29:45 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 06:29 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 22 Nov 2021 01:25:28 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>I have a laptop, an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-573-35AQ
>
>and it worked fine last spring, running win 10 fully updated,
>
>but now I started it up, hoping to use it in January, and it has a
>problem.
>
>A) It beeps almost but not quite once a second. It continued to do this
>after 2 restarts, and it starts even before the lone, startup Windows
>logo first appears on the screen. Sometimes it stops for a little
>while but then it starts up again.
>
> I opened the volume mixer and there were two colunm, Speakers and
>System Sounds. Muting out both, Speakers second, stopped the sound for
>30 seconds, but then it started up again.
>
>What makes sound if everything is muted?
>
>I haven't tried everythig but Firefox Youtube works and it doesn't beep
>thenm until I put the video on pause and then it starts up again.

Well it stopped when I played the video, then restarted when I put it on
pause, and continued when I put it on play.

Now I plugged the external speakers back in and have 3 Devices in Volume
Mixer, Speakers, System Sounds, and Firefox. All are muted but the beep
is still coming through at the same rather loud vlume, regardless of the
volume settings of any and all of the 3 devices/sliders.

>????

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<snfjit$c5k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55904&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55904

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 03:15:11 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 08:15 UTC

On 11/22/2021 1:29 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 22 Nov 2021 01:25:28 -0500, micky
> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a laptop, an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-573-35AQ
>>
>> and it worked fine last spring, running win 10 fully updated,
>>
>> but now I started it up, hoping to use it in January, and it has a
>> problem.
>>
>> A) It beeps almost but not quite once a second. It continued to do this
>> after 2 restarts, and it starts even before the lone, startup Windows
>> logo first appears on the screen. Sometimes it stops for a little
>> while but then it starts up again.
>>
>> I opened the volume mixer and there were two colunm, Speakers and
>> System Sounds. Muting out both, Speakers second, stopped the sound for
>> 30 seconds, but then it started up again.
>>
>> What makes sound if everything is muted?
>>
>> I haven't tried everythig but Firefox Youtube works and it doesn't beep
>> thenm until I put the video on pause and then it starts up again.
>
> Well it stopped when I played the video, then restarted when I put it on
> pause, and continued when I put it on play.
>
> Now I plugged the external speakers back in and have 3 Devices in Volume
> Mixer, Speakers, System Sounds, and Firefox. All are muted but the beep
> is still coming through at the same rather loud vlume, regardless of the
> volume settings of any and all of the 3 devices/sliders.
>
>> ????

A battery related problem ?

You probably allowed it to discharge too far,
without paying attention to it.

The machine likely has a piezo, for BIOS beeps,
and that is where the sound is coming from.

Battery algo:

1) Charge to 70-80% level
2) Check every three months
3) Recharge to 70-80% if you find it low.

If you leave it plugged in, sure, the battery
is 100% a year later, but the battery has been
charged too many times for comfort and will wear
out prematurely.

Not paying attention to a laptop for a year,
is cutting it too close. All the batteries have
self-discharge, to one extent or another.

As for the sounds computers make, many unique
ones are not documented. Neither are POST codes.
I don't how many times someone will say,
"I checked my POST card and code 0x78 is showing".
I'll grab the manual and 0x78 shows "reserved",
which roughly translated is "We were too lazy to
do our jobs".

When the machine makes a two-tone European police
car sound, that's "CPU overheat". As for other sounds,
"beep" means "Power On Self Test complete", while
"boop" means "USB key detected in slot". It took us
months, before we agreed on what that was all about.
Machines were giving multiple beeps and boops, and
everyone then was "wha...?". But after a while, someone
made sense of it. They found one of the sounds, correlated
with the number of USB devices.

The chances of those being in a manual, is zero.

Paul

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<j0134aFascU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55906&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55906

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 08:36:26 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 08:36 UTC

micky wrote:

> I have a laptop,
> It beeps almost but not quite once a second.

stuck key?

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<sq8x4prl2w5u.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55912&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55912

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 10:18:08 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:18 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> I have a laptop, an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-573-35AQ, and it worked fine
> last spring running win 10 fully updated, but now I started it up,
> hoping to use it in January, and it has a problem. It beeps almost
> but not quite once a second. It continued to do this after 2
> restarts, and it starts even before the lone, startup Windows. What
> makes sound if everything is muted?

If your motherboard does not have its own piezo speaker, it will use the
speaker outputs. Since your computer is a laptop, they probably figured
there was no point to add a piezo speaker, and saved a little on not
adding one.

https://www.ebay.com/p/13019550201
Click on the photo of the mobo to see the gallery. I did not see a
piezo speaker on the mobo.

Are you hearing just a single beep, or a group of them?

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<20211122172430.6f48ff8e@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55915&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55915

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 17:24:30 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:24 UTC

Am Mon, 22 Nov 2021 01:29:45 -0500
schrieb micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>:

> Now I plugged the external speakers back in and have 3 Devices in
> Volume Mixer, Speakers, System Sounds, and Firefox. All are muted
> but the beep is still coming through at the same rather loud vlume,
> regardless of the volume settings of any and all of the 3
> devices/sliders.
Maybe it is not the normal audio output, but the system speaker, maybe
emulated and played by the normal speakers (common for laptops).

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<3honpglgv9tq1g9n3o8kjb3glnak6bsdg8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55918&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55918

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 13:44:02 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 18:44 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 22 Nov 2021 03:15:11 -0500, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/22/2021 1:29 AM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 22 Nov 2021 01:25:28 -0500, micky
>> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a laptop, an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-573-35AQ
>>>
>>> and it worked fine last spring, running win 10 fully updated,
>>>
>>> but now I started it up, hoping to use it in January, and it has a
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> A) It beeps almost but not quite once a second. It continued to do this
>>> after 2 restarts, and it starts even before the lone, startup Windows
>>> logo first appears on the screen. Sometimes it stops for a little
>>> while but then it starts up again.
>>>
>>> I opened the volume mixer and there were two colunm, Speakers and
>>> System Sounds. Muting out both, Speakers second, stopped the sound for
>>> 30 seconds, but then it started up again.
>>>
>>> What makes sound if everything is muted?
>>>
>>> I haven't tried everythig but Firefox Youtube works and it doesn't beep
>>> thenm until I put the video on pause and then it starts up again.
>>
>> Well it stopped when I played the video, then restarted when I put it on
>> pause, and continued when I put it on play.
>>
>> Now I plugged the external speakers back in and have 3 Devices in Volume
>> Mixer, Speakers, System Sounds, and Firefox. All are muted but the beep
>> is still coming through at the same rather loud vlume, regardless of the
>> volume settings of any and all of the 3 devices/sliders.

Thanks, Andy. I think Paul got it. The machine is very clean and I
don't think it got much use.
>>> ????
>
>A battery related problem ?
>
>You probably allowed it to discharge too far,
>without paying attention to it.

YOu're right about that. But it was at 65% charged when it was doing
this.

But it had taken an hour of charging to be able to start, and even for
the charging light to go on. I would have expected it to be set up so
the charging light went on right away (I said the same thing last
spring.)

I had dinner and it charged for another hour, and the beeping went away.

The screen was also varying in brightness every 10 or 20 seconds but
that went away too.

>The machine likely has a piezo, for BIOS beeps,
>and that is where the sound is coming from.
>
>Battery algo:
>
>1) Charge to 70-80% level
>2) Check every three months

I'm not good at this part. It was last charged in March.

Do you think I need a new battery? (Hoping to take it with me on a
trip in January.)

If I do, the original feature label, still stuck on it, says

Acer Aspire E 15 E5-573-35AQ

So is it an E 15 or an E5?

If no E5 were listed anywhere, I'd assume it was an E 15, but a lot of
parts descritions etc. refer to one or both.

They seem to take the same battery etc. but I wish I understood their
labeling system.

>3) Recharge to 70-80% if you find it low.
>
>If you leave it plugged in, sure, the battery
>is 100% a year later, but the battery has been
>charged too many times for comfort and will wear
>out prematurely.

That's why I didn't keep it plugged in.

>Not paying attention to a laptop for a year,
>is cutting it too close. All the batteries have
>self-discharge, to one extent or another.
>
>As for the sounds computers make, many unique
>ones are not documented. Neither are POST codes.
>I don't how many times someone will say,
>"I checked my POST card and code 0x78 is showing".
>I'll grab the manual and 0x78 shows "reserved",
>which roughly translated is "We were too lazy to
>do our jobs".

LOL

>When the machine makes a two-tone European police
>car sound, that's "CPU overheat". As for other sounds,
>"beep" means "Power On Self Test complete", while
>"boop" means "USB key detected in slot". It took us
>months, before we agreed on what that was all about.
>Machines were giving multiple beeps and boops, and
>everyone then was "wha...?". But after a while, someone
>made sense of it. They found one of the sounds, correlated
>with the number of USB devices.
>
>The chances of those being in a manual, is zero.
>
> Paul

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<ecbkuhwzzygy$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55924&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55924

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 15:25:50 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 21:25 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> It had taken an hour of charging to be able to start, and even for
> the charging light to go on. I would have expected it to be set up so
> the charging light went on right away (I said the same thing last
> spring.)

How old is the main battery? Is it the original battery?

Battery level is, alas, measured by voltage. You can have a dead
battery with a non-zero voltage. As soon as a load is put on the
battery, it cannot supply the load. Same with showing 100%, but the
capacity is not 100%, so it drains super quick. We only know the last
time you cycle the battery was sometime last Spring (which still doesn't
specify how long since you last used the laptop, and whether you charged
it before leaving it in a drawer to store). No mention how old is the
main battery. A new main battery costs $16 to $35. Some places, like
BatteriesPlus, are much higher, but then you're buying from a known
seller to who you can drive to their local store for a return/refund.

How old is the CMOS battery? Is it the original one?

There is also the CMOS battery on the mobo. On laptops, replacing it
usually requires dismantling the laptop. Sometimes you can find a
Youtube video showing how to disassemble your computer, or one that is
very similar.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Acer+Aspire+E+15+++E5-573-35AQ+disassembly

If you are replacing the CMOS battery, add "cmos battery" to the Youtube
search criteria.

If the batteries are original, and if over 5 years, time to change them.
The primary battery replacement is easy. The CMOS battery replacement
can be a bitch. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeTyhZ2VMCc. If
the video is correct as to the where is the coin-cell battery, that
laptop is easy to replace that battery as it is on the same side
(bottom) of the mobo as the backplate you remove. Sometimes they're on
the other (top) side, so you have to remove the mobo (if removing the
keyboard doesn't work).

The battery level shown by the OS is only useful as a general guide,
like using a voltmeter across a battery to see if it looks okay, but
voltage doesn't indicate capacity (coulombs for capacity, and
coulomb/sec or amp/sec for discharge rate). There might be apps that
log the discharge rate to estimate the health of the battery.

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<cyIH78YSiDnhFw2t@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55936&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55936

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:40:50 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:40 UTC

On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 at 10:18:08, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote (my
>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a laptop, an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-573-35AQ, and it worked fine
>> last spring running win 10 fully updated, but now I started it up,
>> hoping to use it in January, and it has a problem. It beeps almost
>> but not quite once a second. It continued to do this after 2
>> restarts, and it starts even before the lone, startup Windows. What
>> makes sound if everything is muted?
>
>If your motherboard does not have its own piezo speaker, it will use the
>speaker outputs. Since your computer is a laptop, they probably figured
>there was no point to add a piezo speaker, and saved a little on not
>adding one.
>
>https://www.ebay.com/p/13019550201
>Click on the photo of the mobo to see the gallery. I did not see a
>piezo speaker on the mobo.
>
>Are you hearing just a single beep, or a group of them?

My thought, too, that it's the system speaker, or its emulation via the
system speakers. (Is it coming through the external speakers when
they're plugged in?)

The questions is then, why is the system speaker beeping? Others have
suggested a battery problem indication (does it still beep if you run
the laptop on the external supply alone, i. e. with the main battery
removed - assuming the laptop will actually run like that; I think most
will). Or, system overheat warning: I've known desktop motherboards that
have such a function, but I don't know if laptops do. (I know mine
doesn't.) Though the described symptoms sound the opposite - you say the
beeps come back when you _pause_ a video, whereas I'd have expected more
processing to be happening (and thus heat generated) when the video was
actually playing. (Mine certainly goes berserk if I try to play a 4K
video.)

Train sets are like breasts: they are intended for children but it's dads who
have the most fun playing with them.
- Nick Odell (quoting someone else) in UMRA, 2021-2-10

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<snj2rf.ipc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55940&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55940

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 23 Nov 2021 14:54:45 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 14:54 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
[...]

> The battery level shown by the OS is only useful as a general guide,
> like using a voltmeter across a battery to see if it looks okay, but
> voltage doesn't indicate capacity (coulombs for capacity, and
> coulomb/sec or amp/sec for discharge rate). There might be apps that
> log the discharge rate to estimate the health of the battery.

I use NirSoft's BatteryInfoView. Highly recommended (like all NirSoft
utilities). It shows all kinds of battery information and can log
information - like charge/discharge rate - over time.

'BatteryInfoView'
<https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/battery_information_view.html>

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<j04juvFl639U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55943&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55943

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 09:42:07 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:42 UTC

On 11/23/2021 7:54 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> The battery level shown by the OS is only useful as a general guide,
>> like using a voltmeter across a battery to see if it looks okay, but
>> voltage doesn't indicate capacity (coulombs for capacity, and
>> coulomb/sec or amp/sec for discharge rate). There might be apps that
>> log the discharge rate to estimate the health of the battery.
>
> I use NirSoft's BatteryInfoView. Highly recommended (like all NirSoft
> utilities). It shows all kinds of battery information and can log
> information - like charge/discharge rate - over time.

Since I don't use a laptop, I'm not interested in NirSoft's
BatteryInfoView, but are there any other Nirsoft that you particularly
recommend?

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<j04msiFln2hU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55944&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55944

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 10:32:02 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 17:32 UTC

On 11/23/2021 9:42 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 11/23/2021 7:54 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> The battery level shown by the OS is only useful as a general guide,
>>> like using a voltmeter across a battery to see if it looks okay, but
>>> voltage doesn't indicate capacity (coulombs for capacity, and
>>> coulomb/sec or amp/sec for discharge rate). There might be apps that
>>> log the discharge rate to estimate the health of the battery.
>>
>> I use NirSoft's BatteryInfoView. Highly recommended (like all NirSoft
>> utilities). It shows all kinds of battery information and can log
>> information - like charge/discharge rate - over time.
>

> Since I don't use a laptop, I'm not interested in NirSoft's
> BatteryInfoView, but are there any other Nirsoft that you particularly
> recommend?

Sorry, I omitted a word: ...Nirsoft utilities...

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<snjhqr.bg0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55946&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55946

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 23 Nov 2021 19:10:14 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 19:10 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com> wrote:
> On 11/23/2021 9:42 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> > On 11/23/2021 7:54 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> >> VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> I use NirSoft's BatteryInfoView. Highly recommended (like all NirSoft
> >> utilities). It shows all kinds of battery information and can log
> >> information - like charge/discharge rate - over time.
> >
> > Since I don't use a laptop, I'm not interested in NirSoft's
> > BatteryInfoView, but are there any other Nirsoft that you particularly
> > recommend?
>

> Sorry, I omitted a word: ...Nirsoft utilities...

Then - for you -, I recommend all of them, *except* BatteryInfoView!? :-)

But seriously, there are tons of them and what I like/need/want is
most likely different from what you do.

I didn't keep a tab on which Nirsoft utilities I have. (Most are just
a .exe file with some support files, so you won't see them in the
Control Panel under 'Programs and Features'.

But from quickly browsing my (installation) 'packages' folder, I see I
recently 'installed' and use(d):

- NirCmd
<https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html>
- Wireless Network Watcher (in Network Tools)
<https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html>
- WifiInfoView (in Network Tools)
<https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html>

NirCmd has zillions of sub-commands and options, so if anything, it's
likely that NirCmd has something for you.

Just browse the "Examples of what you can do with NirCmd" section of
the above mentioned page. If that doesn't make your head spin, you can
always click on the 'View NirCmd Full Help File' link
(<https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd2.html#using>).

Have fun.

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<j052e6Fnqt1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55948&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55948

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 13:49:10 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 20:49 UTC

On 11/23/2021 12:10 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com> wrote:

>> > Since I don't use a laptop, I'm not interested in NirSoft's
>> > BatteryInfoView, but are there any other Nirsoft that you particularly
>> > recommend?
>>

>> Sorry, I omitted a word: ...Nirsoft utilities...
>
> Then - for you -, I recommend all of them, *except* BatteryInfoView!? :-)
>
> But seriously, there are tons of them and what I like/need/want is
> most likely different from what you do.
>
> I didn't keep a tab on which Nirsoft utilities I have. (Most are just
> a .exe file with some support files, so you won't see them in the
> Control Panel under 'Programs and Features'.
>
> But from quickly browsing my (installation) 'packages' folder, I see I
> recently 'installed' and use(d):
>
> - NirCmd
> <https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html>
> - Wireless Network Watcher (in Network Tools)
> <https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html>
> - WifiInfoView (in Network Tools)
> <https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html>
>
> NirCmd has zillions of sub-commands and options, so if anything, it's
> likely that NirCmd has something for you.
>
> Just browse the "Examples of what you can do with NirCmd" section of
> the above mentioned page. If that doesn't make your head spin, you can
> always click on the 'View NirCmd Full Help File' link
> (<https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd2.html#using>).
>
> Have fun.

Thanks very much

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<5qWOdTjq8VnhFwT1@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55949&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55949

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!news.uzoreto.com!peer03.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!border1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 21:37:46 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 21:37 UTC

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 09:42:07, Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
>Since I don't use a laptop, I'm not interested in NirSoft's
>BatteryInfoView, but are there any other Nirsoft that you particularly
>recommend?

I found that more or less whenever anyone recommended a NirSoft utility,
and I looked into it, I found it was both useful and well written, and I
installed it; eventually, I just got the complete suite, and invoke them
through its launcher. Which also (there's a "change suite" button at the
bottom of the UI) provides a common front end to the SysInternals suite
of utilities (which I had the same history of).

NirLauncher web site: http://launcher.nirsoft.net/ . (The Download page
includes instructions on how to integrate the SysInternals suite.)

what - recession? Up north? What we gonna have - more nowt?
(News Quiz 2013-7-26)

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<j055vnFohngU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55950&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55950

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 14:49:43 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 21:49 UTC

On 11/23/2021 2:37 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 09:42:07, Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com>
> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
> []
>>Since I don't use a laptop, I'm not interested in NirSoft's
>>BatteryInfoView, but are there any other Nirsoft that you particularly
>>recommend?
>
> I found that more or less whenever anyone recommended a NirSoft utility,
> and I looked into it, I found it was both useful and well written, and I
> installed it; eventually, I just got the complete suite, and invoke them
> through its launcher. Which also (there's a "change suite" button at the
> bottom of the UI) provides a common front end to the SysInternals suite
> of utilities (which I had the same history of).
>
> NirLauncher web site: http://launcher.nirsoft.net/ . (The Download page
> includes instructions on how to integrate the SysInternals suite.)

OK, thanks. I'm downloading it now.

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<f563Z8jbRWnhFwHe@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55951&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55951

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 21:59:55 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 21:59 UTC

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 14:49:43, Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>On 11/23/2021 2:37 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
[]
>> NirLauncher web site: http://launcher.nirsoft.net/ . (The Download
>>page
>> includes instructions on how to integrate the SysInternals suite.)
>

>OK, thanks. I'm downloading it now.

IIRR there are a _few_ of the older NirSoft utilities not included.
Mostly, I think, ones that have been replaced by something better that
_is_ included, but there might be the odd one. It does tell you (I
think) on the website, or in the documentation, or somewhere, which ones
that applies to.

Q. How much is 2 + 2?
A. Thank you so much for asking your question.
Are you still having this problem? I'll be delighted to help you. Please
restate the problem twice and include your Windows version along with
all error logs.
- Mayayana in alt.windows7.general, 2018-11-1

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<j05ao3FpcsrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55952&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55952

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:10:59 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 23:10 UTC

On 11/23/2021 2:59 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 14:49:43, Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com>
> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>>On 11/23/2021 2:37 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> []
>>> NirLauncher web site: http://launcher.nirsoft.net/ . (The Download
>>>page
>>> includes instructions on how to integrate the SysInternals suite.)
>>

>>OK, thanks. I'm downloading it now.
>>

> IIRR there are a _few_ of the older NirSoft utilities not included.
> Mostly, I think, ones that have been replaced by something better that
> _is_ included, but there might be the odd one. It does tell you (I
> think) on the website, or in the documentation, or somewhere, which ones
> that applies to.

It's installed and opened. It shows a lot of utilities, but when I click
on any of them, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<90prpgh5q11l0s0jd564pm6smmfvi9dc11@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55958&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55958

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 02:06:22 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 07:06 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:40:50 +0000, "J. P.
Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 at 10:18:08, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote (my
>>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a laptop, an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-573-35AQ, and it worked fine
>>> last spring running win 10 fully updated, but now I started it up,
>>> hoping to use it in January, and it has a problem. It beeps almost
>>> but not quite once a second. It continued to do this after 2
>>> restarts, and it starts even before the lone, startup Windows. What
>>> makes sound if everything is muted?
>>
>>If your motherboard does not have its own piezo speaker, it will use the
>>speaker outputs. Since your computer is a laptop, they probably figured
>>there was no point to add a piezo speaker, and saved a little on not
>>adding one.
>>
>>https://www.ebay.com/p/13019550201
>>Click on the photo of the mobo to see the gallery. I did not see a
>>piezo speaker on the mobo.
>>
>>Are you hearing just a single beep, or a group of them?

One beep every (just more than a) second.

>My thought, too, that it's the system speaker, or its emulation via the
>system speakers. (Is it coming through the external speakers when
>they're plugged in?)
>
>The questions is then, why is the system speaker beeping? Others have

Even though it stopped when I unplugged the external speaker, it
startede up again a little while later, and it sounded the same whether
the speaker was plugged in or not. I think there is a piezo speaker
whether it's obvious on the board or not.

But now the whole thing is working. Tnx.

>suggested a battery problem indication (does it still beep if you run
>the laptop on the external supply alone, i. e. with the main battery
>removed - assuming the laptop will actually run like that; I think most
>will). Or, system overheat warning: I've known desktop motherboards that
>have such a function, but I don't know if laptops do. (I know mine
>doesn't.) Though the described symptoms sound the opposite - you say the
>beeps come back when you _pause_ a video, whereas I'd have expected more
>processing to be happening (and thus heat generated) when the video was
>actually playing. (Mine certainly goes berserk if I try to play a 4K
>video.)

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<WqSdnQo-Reb_sAP8nZ2dnUU7-dvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55960&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55960

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: shem...@outlook.com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:17:37 GMT
 by: shem...@outlook.com - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:17 UTC

> >>If your motherboard does not have its own piezo speaker, it will use the
> >>speaker outputs. Since your computer is a laptop, they probably figured
> >>there was no point to add a piezo speaker, and saved a little on not
> >>adding one.
> >>
> >>https://www.ebay.com/p/13019550201
> >>Click on the photo of the mobo to see the gallery. I did not see a
> >>piezo speaker on the mobo.
> >>
> >>Are you hearing just a single beep, or a group of them?
>
> One beep every (just more than a) second.

<snip>

For what it's worth:

A List of ASUS Beep Codes (AMI BIOS Beep Codes)

Because ASUS uses BIOS developed by AMI (American Megatrends Inc) the beep
codes are based on the AMI BIOS. However, many different manufacturers use
this BIOS and may configure it differently � the beep codes may vary.

Can't find the beep code you heard in this list? You might be dealing with
an irregular beep code. Navigate to the POST troubleshooting steps section
below to get information on what your next steps should be.

Beep Code Description

1 (short) DRAM refresh failure.

2 (short) Parity circuit failure.

3 (short) Base 64 K RAM failure. Try removing any added memory, or reseat
the installed memory sticks.

4 (short) System timer failure.

5 (short) Process failure.

6 (short) Keyboard controller Gate A20 error. Check if your keyboard is
connected to the proper port.

7 (short) Virtual mode exception error.

8 (short) Display memory Read/Write test failure.

9 (short) ROM BIOS checksum failure.

10 (short) CMOS battery error. Replace the CMOS battery to fix this.

11 (short) Cache memory error.

1 (long) + 3 (short) Conventional or Extended memory failure. Remove added
memory, or reseat the installed memory sticks.

1 (long) + 8 (short) Display/Retrace test failed.

Two-tone siren Low CPU fan speed, or voltage level issue.

https://api.softwarekeep.com/blog/post/what-are-asus-beep-codes-and-how-to-identify-them.html

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<mnn17i-lev.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55961&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55961

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 13:28:06 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:28 UTC

On 24/11/2021 13.17, shemp13@outlook.com wrote:
>>> On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 at 10:18:08, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote (my

>> One beep every (just more than a) second.
>
> <snip>
>
> For what it's worth:
>

> A List of ASUS Beep Codes (AMI BIOS Beep Codes)

I am afraid these are beeps happening during POST, not while the
operating system is running, as is the case now.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

NirSoft Launcher (was: Re: Laptop beeps every second)

<jO0I0npjLjnhFwTG@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55962&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55962

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:41:07 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: NirSoft Launcher (was: Re: Laptop beeps every second)
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:41 UTC

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 16:10:59, Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 14:49:43, Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com>
>> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>>>On 11/23/2021 2:37 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> []
>>>

>>>OK, thanks. I'm downloading it now.
[]
>It's installed and opened. It shows a lot of utilities, but when I
>click on any of them, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

For me (on Windows 7-32), a single click just selects one; to run it,
either double click, or single click and click "Run" at bottom left.
(For example, BatteryInfoView - which is under System Utilities - opens
its own window.)

FWIW, my NirLauncher is v1.20. (I probably ought to get the latest.)

If still doesn't do anything, I can't contribute further - anyone else
(preferably running Windows 10!) know?

What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness. -Leo Tolstoy,
novelist and philosopher (1828-1910)

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<fu2HcHqpPjnhFwW4@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55963&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55963

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:45:29 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:45 UTC

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 at 13:28:06, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):

>>> One beep every (just more than a) second.
>> <snip>
>> For what it's worth:
>> A List of ASUS Beep Codes (AMI BIOS Beep Codes)
>
>I am afraid these are beeps happening during POST, not while the
>operating system is running, as is the case now.

I was going to say that, and I think it's true of most of them ...
[]
>> Two-tone siren Low CPU fan speed, or voltage level
>>issue.

.... but I think not that one. (At least, I've heard a system make noises
through the beeper - not sure if it was two-tone - when it was above one
settable temperature threshold [above the other, higher, threshold it
just shut down]; but low fan speed or voltage problem may also cause an
anytime beep.)

>>https://api.softwarekeep.com/blog/post/what-are-asus-beep-codes-and-how
>>-to-identify-them.html

What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness. -Leo Tolstoy,
novelist and philosopher (1828-1910)

Re: Laptop beeps every second

<snlcld$bka$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55964&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55964

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 07:54:01 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:54 UTC

On 11/24/2021 7:17 AM, shemp13@outlook.com wrote:
>>> On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 at 10:18:08, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote (my

>> One beep every (just more than a) second.
>
> <snip>
>
> For what it's worth:
>

> A List of ASUS Beep Codes (AMI BIOS Beep Codes)
>

> Because ASUS uses BIOS developed by AMI (American Megatrends Inc) the beep
> codes are based on the AMI BIOS. However, many different manufacturers use
> this BIOS and may configure it differently — the beep codes may vary.
>

> Can't find the beep code you heard in this list? You might be dealing with
> an irregular beep code. Navigate to the POST troubleshooting steps section
> below to get information on what your next steps should be.
>
> Beep Code Description
>
> 1 (short) DRAM refresh failure.
>
> 2 (short) Parity circuit failure.
>
> 3 (short) Base 64 K RAM failure. Try removing any added memory, or reseat
> the installed memory sticks.
>
> 4 (short) System timer failure.
>
> 5 (short) Process failure.
>
> 6 (short) Keyboard controller Gate A20 error. Check if your keyboard is
> connected to the proper port.
>
> 7 (short) Virtual mode exception error.
>
> 8 (short) Display memory Read/Write test failure.
>
> 9 (short) ROM BIOS checksum failure.
>
> 10 (short) CMOS battery error. Replace the CMOS battery to fix this.
>
> 11 (short) Cache memory error.
>
> 1 (long) + 3 (short) Conventional or Extended memory failure. Remove added
> memory, or reseat the installed memory sticks.
>
> 1 (long) + 8 (short) Display/Retrace test failed.
>
> Two-tone siren Low CPU fan speed, or voltage level issue.
>
> https://api.softwarekeep.com/blog/post/what-are-asus-beep-codes-and-how-to-identify-them.html

There are two sets of codes.

1) POST codes (documented, available on some websites)
(beware of tables which are too old to be useful)

2) Runtime codes
(things that happen after the OS is booted, but the
SMM time slices allow the BIOS to observe the hardware
state)

The runtime conditions and behaviors are not documented.

Paul

Re: NirSoft Launcher

<j074nsF5g0mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55973&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55973

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: NirSoft Launcher
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 08:40:43 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:40 UTC

On 11/24/2021 5:41 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 16:10:59, Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com>
> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>>> []

> []
>>It's installed and opened. It shows a lot of utilities, but when I
>>click on any of them, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
>>
> For me (on Windows 7-32), a single click just selects one; to run it,
> either double click, or single click and click "Run" at bottom left.
> (For example, BatteryInfoView - which is under System Utilities - opens
> its own window.)

I tried both of those ways yesterday. Nothing happened.

I;m running Windows 11-64. Does it perhaps not work on 11?

> FWIW, my NirLauncher is v1.20. (I probably ought to get the latest.)

1.23.45 here.

I just tried again. Now it doesn't even like the password provided on
the web page.