Make sure your code does nothing gracefully.

computers / alt.windows7.general / How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

SubjectAuthor
* How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Daniel65
+* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Stan Brown
|+- Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Sjouke Burry
|`* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Michael Trew
| +* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??David E. Ross
| |`- Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Ken Blake
| +* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Stan Brown
| |`* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Michael Trew
| | `* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Ken Blake
| |  `* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Michael Trew
| |   `- Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Ken Blake
| `- Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Ken Blake
+* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??David E. Ross
|+- Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Paul
|`* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Ken Blake
| `* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??David E. Ross
|  `* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Ken Blake
|   +* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Daniel65
|   |`* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Ken Blake
|   | `- Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Daniel65
|   `* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??David E. Ross
|    `- Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Ken Blake
+* Thank you ..... Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Daniel65
|`- Re: Thank you ..... Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Daniel65
+* Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??JJ
|+- Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Char Jackson
|`- Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??Daniel65
`- Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??VanguardLH

Pages:12
How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<tqvelt$1h6kv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5598&group=alt.windows7.general#5598

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:59:07 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 02:59 UTC

Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
programs to my WOW32 Win7.

How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function so that I can delete
my current LibreOffice and install the newsest version which I've just
downloaded??

Additionall, whilst I'm there, I might delete the CCleaner which has now
set itself as part of the system, so using more of my limited resources
when I only use it once a month, maybe!!
--
Daniel

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<MPG.3e3ce4a486dd9927990035@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5599&group=alt.windows7.general#5599

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:28:05 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 03:28 UTC

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:59:07 +1100, Daniel65 wrote:

> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
> programs to my WOW32 Win7.
>
> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function so that I can delete
> my current LibreOffice and install the newsest version which I've just
> downloaded??
>
> Additionall, whilst I'm there, I might delete the CCleaner which has now
> set itself as part of the system, so using more of my limited resources
> when I only use it once a month, maybe!!

Control Panel in Windows 7 includes Add or Remove Programs, but if I
recall correctly it's called Programs and Features.

However ... If you want to uninstall CCleaner, you'll need Programs
and Features. But regarding Libre Office, are you sure you need to
uninstall your old version? Usually a program's installer overwrites
any previous version, or uninstalls it before installing the new one.
But I don't have specific knowledge of the L.O. installer.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<nnd$68327bc2$174f24c7@6d33158d8f68439e>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5600&group=alt.windows7.general#5600

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 05:56:12 +0100
From: burrynul...@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Sjouke Burry - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 04:56 UTC

On 27.01.23 4:28, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:59:07 +1100, Daniel65 wrote:
>>
>> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
>> programs to my WOW32 Win7.
>>
>> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function so that I can delete
>> my current LibreOffice and install the newsest version which I've just
>> downloaded??
>>
>> Additionall, whilst I'm there, I might delete the CCleaner which has now
>> set itself as part of the system, so using more of my limited resources
>> when I only use it once a month, maybe!!
>
> Control Panel in Windows 7 includes Add or Remove Programs, but if I
> recall correctly it's called Programs and Features.
>
> However ... If you want to uninstall CCleaner, you'll need Programs
> and Features. But regarding Libre Office, are you sure you need to
> uninstall your old version? Usually a program's installer overwrites
> any previous version, or uninstalls it before installing the new one.
> But I don't have specific knowledge of the L.O. installer.

My libre office left a 40MB directory for version 4 on xp pro.
the upgrade to version 5 was about 400 MB.
two directories.
From my installsources dir:
868.845 Dutch-spelling--OpenTaal-210G-LO.oxt
226.095.104 LibreOffice_4.3.6_Win_x86.msi
5.267.456 LibreOffice_4.3.6_Win_x86_helppack_en-GB.msi
221.245.440 LibreOffice_5.3.0_Win_x86.msi
5.300.224 LibreOffice_5.3.0_Win_x86_helppack_en-GB.msi

Both install packs about the same size, so it left about 10 percent
of the old package.

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<tqvmcg$1i9nt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5602&group=alt.windows7.general#5602

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 21:10:38 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 05:10 UTC

On 1/26/2023 6:59 PM, Daniel65 wrote:
> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
> programs to my WOW32 Win7.
>
> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function so that I can delete
> my current LibreOffice and install the newsest version which I've just
> downloaded??
>
> Additionall, whilst I'm there, I might delete the CCleaner which has now
> set itself as part of the system, so using more of my limited resources
> when I only use it once a month, maybe!!

The updates to some programs install more cleanly if the prior versions
are first removed. I keep a spreadsheet that, among other things,
indicates which programs should be removed before updating.

In most cases, I use Programs and Features, which is part of Windows.
It is at [Settings > Control Panel]. This is generally what I use if I
want to update a program that needs the prior version removed. I use it
often enough that I copied it from the Control Panel window and pasted
it as a shortcut into my Start folder.

If I want to remove all traces of a program, however, I use Nirsoft's
UninstallView, which has the option to delete Windows registry data for
the program being removed. (It does not always find all registry data
but is more comprehensive than Programs and Features.)

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

The only reason we have so many laws is that not enough people will do
the right thing. (© 1997 by David Ross)

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<tqvval$1jmof$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5605&group=alt.windows7.general#5605

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 02:43:18 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 07:43 UTC

On 1/27/2023 12:10 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 1/26/2023 6:59 PM, Daniel65 wrote:
>> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
>> programs to my WOW32 Win7.
>>
>> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function so that I can delete
>> my current LibreOffice and install the newsest version which I've just
>> downloaded??
>>
>> Additionall, whilst I'm there, I might delete the CCleaner which has now
>> set itself as part of the system, so using more of my limited resources
>> when I only use it once a month, maybe!!
>>

> The updates to some programs install more cleanly if the prior versions
> are first removed. I keep a spreadsheet that, among other things,
> indicates which programs should be removed before updating.
>
> In most cases, I use Programs and Features, which is part of Windows.
> It is at [Settings > Control Panel]. This is generally what I use if I
> want to update a program that needs the prior version removed. I use it
> often enough that I copied it from the Control Panel window and pasted
> it as a shortcut into my Start folder.
>
> If I want to remove all traces of a program, however, I use Nirsoft's
> UninstallView, which has the option to delete Windows registry data for
> the program being removed. (It does not always find all registry data
> but is more comprehensive than Programs and Features.)

Programs and Features, uses the uninstaller provided by the program.

It cannot do a better job, than the developer who packaged it has done.

When you use an "uninstaller utility", one of the type that records
everything that happens during an install, it can unroll an install
better than a developer-made utility. Except, of course, if the
developer uses the info collected from an uninstaller utility, to
prepare a better uninstall routine.

During an uninstallation, materials can be left behind if a file
is busy. Like, if a service is running and it uses some files.
What the uninstaller should do, is kill the service, so no
files are busy. But this isn't always possible.

While some programs use a .msi file for installation, not
all programs do. Chrome for example, it leaves behind a
ZIP file of some sort, about 150MB in size, and that has
materials that can be used for a Repair. There is also an
uninstaller program sitting next to the ZIP file. That's an
example of an installer scheme, that did not cost the company
(Google) any money.

Programs don't even have to be installed in Program Files.
They can be installed elsewhere. The advantage of Program Files,
is the permissions are generally pretty good and prevent naive fiddling.
Also, nothing prevents 32-bit and 64-bit materials from being
put in the wrong folder. Mozilla did this on purpose once.

Paul

Thank you ..... Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<tr0205$1k535$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5606&group=alt.windows7.general#5606

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Thank you ..... Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 19:28:51 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 08:28 UTC

Daniel65 wrote on 27/01/2023 1:59 pm:
> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
> programs to my WOW32 Win7.
>
> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function so that I can delete
> my current LibreOffice and install the newsest version which I've just
> downloaded??
>
> Additionall, whilst I'm there, I might delete the CCleaner which has now
> set itself as part of the system, so using more of my limited resources
> when I only use it once a month, maybe!!

Found and deleted several programs on this underpowered Laptop (why have
Epson Printer software installed if I don't have a Printer connected??)

Now to re-boot to finalise things!! ;-P
--
Daniel

Re: Thank you ..... Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<tr02e0$1k6uk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5607&group=alt.windows7.general#5607

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Thank you ..... Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 19:36:17 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 08:36 UTC

Daniel65 wrote on 27/01/2023 7:28 pm:
> Daniel65 wrote on 27/01/2023 1:59 pm:
>> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
>> programs to my WOW32 Win7.
>>
>> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function so that I can
>> delete my current LibreOffice and install the newsest version which
>> I've just downloaded??
>>
>> Additionall, whilst I'm there, I might delete the CCleaner which has
>> now set itself as part of the system, so using more of my limited
>> resources when I only use it once a month, maybe!!
>
> Found and deleted several programs on this underpowered Laptop (why have
> Epson Printer software installed if I don't have a Printer connected??)
>
> Now to re-boot to finalise things!! ;-P

Re-boot success .... now just to find where I downloaded the new
LibreOffice version to .....!!
--
Daniel

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<1i61j75efsgic$.uk5nszk5l1qb.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5612&group=alt.windows7.general#5612

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 20:18:45 +0700
 by: JJ - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:18 UTC

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:59:07 +1100, Daniel65 wrote:
> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
> programs to my WOW32 Win7.
>
> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function so that I can delete
> my current LibreOffice and install the newsest version which I've just
> downloaded??
>
> Additionall, whilst I'm there, I might delete the CCleaner which has now
> set itself as part of the system, so using more of my limited resources
> when I only use it once a month, maybe!!

Unless we already have a program shortcut for the Control Panel's list of
installed programs which is previously created manually, IMO, the fastest
way is to open the Start Menu and type "uninstall" or just "un" into the
searchbox, then choose the "Uninstall a program" menu item of the Control
Panel group (second/bottom group) in the search result.

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<i7o7th5mmkv3sksjlprlgm3d3j8g0scsft@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5613&group=alt.windows7.general#5613

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 07:39:05 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 14:39 UTC

On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 21:10:38 -0800, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>The updates to some programs install more cleanly if the prior versions
>are first removed. I keep a spreadsheet that, among other things,
>indicates which programs should be removed before updating.

Three questions about that paragraph:

1. What do you mean by "more cleanly"? Do you mean that if you don't
first uninstall, you are left with some unneeded files? If that's what
you mean, you're probably right and uninstalling first saves you a
little disk space, but the amount saved is almost certainly only a
tiny, trivial amount.

2. What are the programs listed in your spreadsheet that indicate
which programs should be removed before updating?

3. How do you know it's true about those programs?

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<11is5ngobd44t$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5614&group=alt.windows7.general#5614

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 09:35:10 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 15:35 UTC

Daniel65 <daniel47@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
> programs to my WOW32 Win7.

I don't have a Win7 host to check what is the wizard/menu nav path, but
it should be a selection in Control Panel (which you can get at via
Start menu, or by running control.exe).

A direct means to get at the Program Add/Remove wizard is to run:

appwiz.cpl

It's located in C:\Windows\System32\, but you likely not need to include
the path as System32 should already by the System PATH environ variable.

> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function so that I can
> delete my current LibreOffice and install the newsest version which
> I've just downloaded??

I have LibreOffice. I download its update, and run it. Uninstalling
the prior version is not required. You're updating, not upgrading.

For years, LO has promised an integrated updater. It has never showed
up, so I suspect it never will. The update check just lets you know
there is a new update, and points to their download page. You download,
you run, you're done. No uninstalling required since it is an update.
Also, just because there is a new version doesn't mean it has any value
to you. Read the release notes to see if the update addresses any
security concerns, fixes something that is broke in your instance, or
offers new features that you really will use. I usually don't bother
unless it is a sub-version update (e.g., x.1 to x.2), not when it is a
sub-sub-version update (e.g., x.0.1 to x.0.2). Or when it is a major
version update (1.x to 2.x). Those sub-sub-version updates rarely have
anything that affect you.

Read the release notes for a new version; else, you're blindly wasting
time to update without any knowledge that anything in a new version is
usable to you or addresses issues that you might encounter. I'm still
back on LO 7.3.7.2. The 7.4.4 update release notes mention update
offline help, and newly added support for OpenPGP. How often have you
used the offline help in LO? Likely the only change is to add mention
of new features, like OpenPGP support. How often do you encrypt your
documents, and use PGP to encrypt? In fact, OpenPGP was added in a
prior version, and all they changed in the last two sub-versions is
something about more fixes to key management for PGP, and which has to
do with new versions from elsewhere (the key manager is someone else's
product; see https://www.gpg4win.org/).

The download page to which you are directed when you click the Download
link in their integral update checker doesn't give much information
about what changed in a new release. To get more info, see:

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/release-notes/
(there are links to more detailed release notes)

Go down the list of feature improvements. Add a checkmark for each one
that gives you a new feature that you will actually use or have actual
impact on your use of LO. Also check for feature deprecation: features
you might be using now, but will lose. For example, FTP support got
deprecated, and will disappear in a future version. If you're using an
FTP server as a file server, you'll need to figure out how to
incorporate a separate FTP client (e.g., Filezilla) to retrieve and
store your documents. Just because new features got added doesn't mean
all the old features will remain.

Unless you like to debug experimental software, and have the expertise
to do so with the professionalism needed to report the bugs, do NOT get
their "Fresh" releases. They euphemized "beta" into "fresh". You want
the "still" versions (i.e., the released or GA versions).

> Additionall, whilst I'm there, I might delete the CCleaner which has
> now set itself as part of the system, so using more of my limited
> resources when I only use it once a month, maybe!!

CCleaner does not use ANY resources when it is not running *unless* you
paid for its Pro version to run in the background to perform the rather
superfluous chores.

- Safer Browsing: The free version can delete the same cookies. Also,
use a web browser that lets you purge local cached data, like cookies,
on its exit (e.g., Firefox).

- Faster computer: Deleting temp files will not speed up your computer.
Putting processes in suspended state by anything else than the OS or the
app itself will lead to frozen apps that you cannot unfreeze.

- Software updater: Do this yourself. Apps should have their own update
check. If not, you can check yourself. It is not necessary to have the
latest version even if for a security update. Drivers should not be
updated if they are working since new code in new driver versions means
some bugs may get get fixed while introducing some new bugs. If it
ain't broke, don't fix it. You'll waste far more time running through
the updates than any speed enhancement achieved therefrom or by deleting
temp files.

- Optimization: Unless you are familiar with how to edit the registry,
and all the dependencies therein, don't be using a registry cleaner.
Those ONLY should get used to facilitate chores that you can otherwise
do yourself with the registry editor.

- 1-click updates: You don't need a 3rd party tool to do updating.
Plus, all CCleaner's updates tell you is there are updates available,
even if they are sub-sub-version updates that don't address any issues
you have with your installs of the software.

- PC Health Check: Garbageware.

- Driver updates: Same caveats as software updater, except drivers are
far more critical to the stable and reliable operation of your computer.

- Fewer errors & crashes: Has to do with remnant registry entries after
uninstalls. These entries can cause crashes in the context menu, and in
the Properties dialog as the handlers no longer exist. Again, don't use
a registry cleaner unless you already know how to do the editing
manually yourself.

- Quicker startup: There are lots of similar tools, and their free. You
can disable startup programs without the need for 3rd party software;
however, Microsoft is incomplete as to where all the startup programs
are defined. Instead use Sysinternals AutoRuns (Microsoft acquired
SysInternals), and it's free, and it likely covers a LOT more startup
locations than CCleaner's startup program disabler.

Just use the free version of CCleaner. It's all you need. If you want
some of its Pro options, those can be had for free, and they don't stick
around in memory running in the background.

When you download the new version installer for LO, I'd suggest saving
it to a local folder where you keep all your other downloads. That way,
if you need to restore from an older backup and have to do the update
again, you've got a local copy to use immediately.

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<tr0rd0$1oh99$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5615&group=alt.windows7.general#5615

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 07:42:23 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 15:42 UTC

On 1/27/2023 6:39 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 21:10:38 -0800, "David E. Ross"
> <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The updates to some programs install more cleanly if the prior versions
>> are first removed. I keep a spreadsheet that, among other things,
>> indicates which programs should be removed before updating.
>

> Three questions about that paragraph:
>
> 1. What do you mean by "more cleanly"? Do you mean that if you don't
> first uninstall, you are left with some unneeded files? If that's what
> you mean, you're probably right and uninstalling first saves you a
> little disk space, but the amount saved is almost certainly only a
> tiny, trivial amount.

Certain capabilities appear broken, they crash, or they fail to
interface correctly with other programs.

> 2. What are the programs listed in your spreadsheet that indicate
> which programs should be removed before updating?

AVG Antivirus Free (from a full, offline installer)
Core Temp (per installation instructions)
doPDF (if the major version number changes)
Malwarebytes
and a few others that seem no longer being maintained and thus irrelevant

> 3. How do you know it's true about those programs?

I tried installing updates to them without removing the prior versions.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

The only reason we have so many laws is that not enough people will do
the right thing. (© 1997 by David Ross)

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<gee8thdmc8ov77pqcoipteapj4q74omve5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5620&group=alt.windows7.general#5620

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 14:01:27 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 21:01 UTC

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 07:42:23 -0800, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>On 1/27/2023 6:39 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 21:10:38 -0800, "David E. Ross"
>> <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> The updates to some programs install more cleanly if the prior versions
>>> are first removed. I keep a spreadsheet that, among other things,
>>> indicates which programs should be removed before updating.
>>

>> Three questions about that paragraph:
>>
>> 1. What do you mean by "more cleanly"? Do you mean that if you don't
>> first uninstall, you are left with some unneeded files? If that's what
>> you mean, you're probably right and uninstalling first saves you a
>> little disk space, but the amount saved is almost certainly only a
>> tiny, trivial amount.
>
>Certain capabilities appear broken, they crash, or they fail to
>interface correctly with other programs.

OK, thanks for the clarification. But I've had neither of those
experiences.

>> 2. What are the programs listed in your spreadsheet that indicate
>> which programs should be removed before updating?
>
>AVG Antivirus Free (from a full, offline installer)

Haven't used it years and I remember next to nothing about it.

>Core Temp (per installation instructions)

I just checked Core Temp here and saw that there was a newer version
(1.18) than what I had installed. I downloaded and installed as I've
always done with new versions in the past. It didn't tell me to first
uninstall the previous version and I didn't. No problems with the new
version.

>doPDF (if the major version number changes)

Never used it.

>Malwarebytes

I have MalwareBytes AntiMalware set to automatically download and
install updates. I've never first uninstalled it, and I've never had a
problem with it.

>and a few others that seem no longer being maintained and thus irrelevant
>
>> 3. How do you know it's true about those programs?
>
>I tried installing updates to them without removing the prior versions.

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<3249th1cu2qmert4q2n5lslptm9miohjd7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5623&group=alt.windows7.general#5623

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 21:05:09 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 03:05 UTC

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 20:18:45 +0700, JJ <jj4public@outlook.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:59:07 +1100, Daniel65 wrote:
>> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
>> programs to my WOW32 Win7.
>>
>> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function so that I can delete
>> my current LibreOffice and install the newsest version which I've just
>> downloaded??
>>
>> Additionall, whilst I'm there, I might delete the CCleaner which has now
>> set itself as part of the system, so using more of my limited resources
>> when I only use it once a month, maybe!!
>
>Unless we already have a program shortcut for the Control Panel's list of
>installed programs which is previously created manually, IMO, the fastest
>way is to open the Start Menu and type "uninstall" or just "un" into the
>searchbox, then choose the "Uninstall a program" menu item of the Control
>Panel group (second/bottom group) in the search result.

I do something similar. One click to open the Start menu, then I type
'add', which adds "Add or remove programs" to the list of possibilities.
That works in 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. Probably also 11 but I don't have that
running at the moment.

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<tr2va4$26kkr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5627&group=alt.windows7.general#5627

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 22:01:23 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 11:01 UTC

Ken Blake wrote on 28/1/23 8:01 am:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 07:42:23 -0800, "David E. Ross"
> <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

<Snip>

>> Core Temp (per installation instructions)
>
> I just checked Core Temp here and saw that there was a newer version
> (1.18) than what I had installed. I downloaded and installed as I've
> always done with new versions in the past. It didn't tell me to first
> uninstall the previous version and I didn't. No problems with the new
> version.

Would this mean that you have two versions of 'Core Temp' listed in your
'Add/Remove' screen?? By removing either do you stuff both??
--
Daniel

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<tr2vq7$26m9b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5628&group=alt.windows7.general#5628

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 22:10:00 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 11:10 UTC

JJ wrote on 28/1/23 12:18 am:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:59:07 +1100, Daniel65 wrote:
>> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
>> programs to my WOW32 Win7.
>>
>> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function so that I can delete
>> my current LibreOffice and install the newsest version which I've just
>> downloaded??
>>
>> Additionall, whilst I'm there, I might delete the CCleaner which has now
>> set itself as part of the system, so using more of my limited resources
>> when I only use it once a month, maybe!!
>
> Unless we already have a program shortcut for the Control Panel's list of
> installed programs which is previously created manually, IMO, the fastest
> way is to open the Start Menu and type "uninstall" or just "un" into the
> searchbox, then choose the "Uninstall a program" menu item of the Control
> Panel group (second/bottom group) in the search result.

Oh!! Come on, now, JJ, that would be too logical!! ;-P

Thank you!
--
Daniel

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<6ldathpme060fe9ma6ota45t0p37mo28ja@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5629&group=alt.windows7.general#5629

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 07:53:26 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 14:53 UTC

On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 22:01:23 +1100, Daniel65
<daniel47@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote on 28/1/23 8:01 am:
>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 07:42:23 -0800, "David E. Ross"
>> <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
><Snip>
>
>>> Core Temp (per installation instructions)
>>
>> I just checked Core Temp here and saw that there was a newer version
>> (1.18) than what I had installed. I downloaded and installed as I've
>> always done with new versions in the past. It didn't tell me to first
>> uninstall the previous version and I didn't. No problems with the new
>> version.
>
>Would this mean that you have two versions of 'Core Temp' listed in your
>'Add/Remove' screen??

No, it means that the new version automatically replaced the older
version.

>By removing either do you stuff both??

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<tr5g1d$2n86c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5642&group=alt.windows7.general#5642

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 20:59:10 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 09:59 UTC

Ken Blake wrote on 29/1/23 1:53 am:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 22:01:23 +1100, Daniel65
> <daniel47@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>> Ken Blake wrote on 28/1/23 8:01 am:
>>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 07:42:23 -0800, "David E. Ross"
>>> <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>

>>> I just checked Core Temp here and saw that there was a newer version
>>> (1.18) than what I had installed. I downloaded and installed as I've
>>> always done with new versions in the past. It didn't tell me to first
>>> uninstall the previous version and I didn't. No problems with the new
>>> version.
>>
>> Would this mean that you have two versions of 'Core Temp' listed in your
>> 'Add/Remove' screen??
>
> No, it means that the new version automatically replaced the older
> version.

O.K., Ta!
--
Daniel

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<tr68tv$2rjne$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5648&group=alt.windows7.general#5648

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 09:03:58 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 17:03 UTC

On 1/27/2023 1:01 PM, Ken Blake wrote [in part]:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 07:42:23 -0800, I previously wrote [also in part]:

>> 2. What are the programs listed in your spreadsheet that indicate
>>> which programs should be removed before updating?
>
> Haven't used it years and I remember next to nothing about it.
>

>> Core Temp (per installation instructions)
>
> I just checked Core Temp here and saw that there was a newer version
> (1.18) than what I had installed. I downloaded and installed as I've
> always done with new versions in the past. It didn't tell me to first
> uninstall the previous version and I didn't. No problems with the new
> version.

Thanks. I just now installed Core Temp 1.18 without first uninstalling
its version 1.17.1. No problem! I then removed the indicator from my
spread sheet that prior versions of Core Temp should be uninstalled
before updating.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

The only reason we have so many laws is that not enough people will do
the right thing. (© 1997 by David Ross)

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<59adthpp87cmb3spsksgosih6iu72c7v1l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5649&group=alt.windows7.general#5649

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 10:16:32 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 17:16 UTC

On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 09:03:58 -0800, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>On 1/27/2023 1:01 PM, Ken Blake wrote [in part]:
>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 07:42:23 -0800, I previously wrote [also in part]:
>
>>> 2. What are the programs listed in your spreadsheet that indicate
>>
>> Haven't used it years and I remember next to nothing about it.
>>

>>> Core Temp (per installation instructions)
>>
>> I just checked Core Temp here and saw that there was a newer version
>> (1.18) than what I had installed. I downloaded and installed as I've
>> always done with new versions in the past. It didn't tell me to first
>> uninstall the previous version and I didn't. No problems with the new
>> version.
>
>Thanks. I just now installed Core Temp 1.18 without first uninstalling
>its version 1.17.1. No problem! I then removed the indicator from my
>spread sheet that prior versions of Core Temp should be uninstalled
>before updating.

You're welcome. On the other hand, of course there's nothing wrong
with first uninstalling it, and doing so makes it take only slightly
longer. The only time you shouldn't unnecessarily uninstall a program
before installing a new version is if the old version has settings you
want to have kept.

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<tr8k4a$3aqf4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5657&group=alt.windows7.general#5657

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 09:27:23 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 14:27 UTC

On 1/26/2023 22:28, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:59:07 +1100, Daniel65 wrote:
>>
>> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
>> programs to my WOW32 Win7.
>>
>> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function
>
> Control Panel in Windows 7 includes Add or Remove Programs, but if I
> recall correctly it's called Programs and Features.

Yes, that gets me every time... even though I've been using Windows 7
for over 12 years. You'd think I'd have it down now, but I guess that
the setup from Windows 9x/XP is just permanently ingrained into me.

After the change of "My Computer" to "Computer", being annoyed at that
enough years, I figured out how to change it back. Would help if I
could do the same with "Add/Remove Programs". ;)

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<tr8ogk$3bkhs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5658&group=alt.windows7.general#5658

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 07:42:09 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 15:42 UTC

On 1/30/2023 6:27 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 1/26/2023 22:28, Stan Brown wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:59:07 +1100, Daniel65 wrote:
>>>
>>> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
>>> programs to my WOW32 Win7.
>>>
>>> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function
>>
>> Control Panel in Windows 7 includes Add or Remove Programs, but if I
>> recall correctly it's called Programs and Features.
>
> Yes, that gets me every time... even though I've been using Windows 7
> for over 12 years. You'd think I'd have it down now, but I guess that
> the setup from Windows 9x/XP is just permanently ingrained into me.
>
> After the change of "My Computer" to "Computer", being annoyed at that
> enough years, I figured out how to change it back. Would help if I
> could do the same with "Add/Remove Programs". ;)

1. Copy Program and Features from the Control Panel. ]

2. Paste it elsewhere as a shortcut. (I did that in a new folder I
created in Start.)

3. Rename the shortcut.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

The only reason we have so many laws is that not enough people will do
the right thing. (© 1997 by David Ross)

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<MPG.3e418dbbe55e754f99003a@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5659&group=alt.windows7.general#5659

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 08:18:37 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 16:18 UTC

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 09:27:23 -0500, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 1/26/2023 22:28, Stan Brown wrote:
> > [quoted text muted]
> > Control Panel in Windows 7 includes Add or Remove Programs, but if I
> > recall correctly it's called Programs and Features.
>
> Yes, that gets me every time... even though I've been using Windows 7
> for over 12 years. You'd think I'd have it down now, but I guess that
> the setup from Windows 9x/XP is just permanently ingrained into me.

And just to make it funnier, on my Windows 10 system this morning I
wanted to uninstall VLC 2.x because it wouldn't auto-update to VLC
3.x. I hit the Windows key, then typed "Programs" expecting the first
search result to be "Programs and Features". Instead, it was "Add or
Remove Programs"!

When I clicked on it, though, I got "Apps and Features". I forgot
that Windows 10 calls programs "apps".

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<q22gth17on5mc3lo3ljovh14jac7lcmun6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5661&group=alt.windows7.general#5661

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 11:14:20 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 18:14 UTC

<michael.trew@att.net> wrote:

>On 1/26/2023 22:28, Stan Brown wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:59:07 +1100, Daniel65 wrote:
>>>
>>> Either brain is getting old or I'm not Adding or Removing enough
>>> programs to my WOW32 Win7.
>>>
>>> How do I get to the "Add/Remove Programs" function
>>
>> Control Panel in Windows 7 includes Add or Remove Programs, but if I
>> recall correctly it's called Programs and Features.
>
>Yes, that gets me every time... even though I've been using Windows 7
>for over 12 years. You'd think I'd have it down now, but I guess that
>the setup from Windows 9x/XP is just permanently ingrained into me.

As it should be. One of the many things that Microsoft does poorly is
nomenclature. They should *not* change the names of things, not even
if they are correct that the new name is better than the old one.
Changing names results in confusing many people.

>After the change of "My Computer" to "Computer", being annoyed at that
>enough years, I figured out how to change it back. Would help if I
>could do the same with "Add/Remove Programs". ;)

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<2b2gthp261ap0c7l15m8kt8omh9ujkk3vl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5662&group=alt.windows7.general#5662

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 11:24:34 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 18:24 UTC

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 07:42:09 -0800, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>On 1/30/2023 6:27 AM, Michael Trew wrote:

>>> Control Panel in Windows 7 includes Add or Remove Programs, but if I
>>> recall correctly it's called Programs and Features.
>>
>> Yes, that gets me every time... even though I've been using Windows 7
>> for over 12 years. You'd think I'd have it down now, but I guess that
>> the setup from Windows 9x/XP is just permanently ingrained into me.
>>
>> After the change of "My Computer" to "Computer", being annoyed at that
>> enough years, I figured out how to change it back. Would help if I
>> could do the same with "Add/Remove Programs". ;)
>>

>1. Copy Program and Features from the Control Panel. ]
>
>2. Paste it elsewhere as a shortcut. (I did that in a new folder I
>created in Start.)
>
>3. Rename the shortcut.

That's a very good suggestion, but I have one that I think is even
better. Do what I do: create your own folder called Ctrl Panel, and
paste into it only the control panel programs you use, renaming
anything you think should have a better or previous name (such as
Add/Remove Programs). You can also add other shortcuts there that you
think belongs on Ctrl Panel; for example, I have added shortcuts there
for my printer, gpedit, CMD, Computer Management, Device Manager, etc.

So I almost never use the built-in Windows Control Panel, just my own
Ctrl Panel.

Re: How to get to "Add/Remove Programes"??

<trk6hf$1l7ai$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5732&group=alt.windows7.general#5732

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2023 18:49:09 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 23:49 UTC

On 1/30/2023 11:18, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 09:27:23 -0500, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 1/26/2023 22:28, Stan Brown wrote:
>>> [quoted text muted]
>>> Control Panel in Windows 7 includes Add or Remove Programs, but if I
>>> recall correctly it's called Programs and Features.
>>
>> Yes, that gets me every time... even though I've been using Windows 7
>> for over 12 years. You'd think I'd have it down now, but I guess that
>> the setup from Windows 9x/XP is just permanently ingrained into me.
>
> And just to make it funnier, on my Windows 10 system this morning I
> wanted to uninstall VLC 2.x because it wouldn't auto-update to VLC
> 3.x. I hit the Windows key, then typed "Programs" expecting the first
> search result to be "Programs and Features". Instead, it was "Add or
> Remove Programs"!

Interesting... I'd test it here, but I'm still on W7.

> When I clicked on it, though, I got "Apps and Features". I forgot
> that Windows 10 calls programs "apps".

That is mighty annoying to me. "Apps" are on a cell phone. Programs,
or "applications", if you must, are on a computer.