Trying to establish voice contact ... please ____yell into keyboard.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / OT: Omicron variant

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Omicron variantknuttle
+* Re: Omicron variantMayayana
|`* Re: Omicron variantJenni Telia
| +* Re: Omicron variantmechanic
| |`- Re: Omicron variantJenni Telia
| +- Re: Omicron variantFrank Slootweg
| +* Re: Omicron variantMayayana
| |`- Re: Omicron variantmicky
| `- Re: Omicron variantmicky
+* Re: OT: Omicron variantPaul
|+* Re: OT: Omicron variantJ. P. Gilliver (John)
||+- Re: OT: Omicron variantAndy Burns
||`- Re: OT: Omicron variantChris
|+- Re: OT: Omicron variantJonathan N. Little
|`* Re: OT: Omicron variantChris
| `- Re: OT: Omicron variantmicky
+- Re: OT: Omicron variantPiet
+* Re: OT: Omicron variantJohnny
|+- Re: OT: Omicron variantBrian Gregory
|+* Re: OT: Omicron variantChris
||`* Re: OT: Omicron variantJohnny
|| +* Re: OT: Omicron variantMayayana
|| |+* Re: OT: Omicron variantnospam
|| |`- Re: OT: Omicron variantFrank Slootweg
|| `- Re: OT: Omicron variantChris
|`- Re: OT: Omicron variantmicky
+- Re: OT: Omicron variantZack Sten
`- Re: OT: Omicron variants|b

Pages:12
OT: Omicron variant

<snvue2$h9h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56021&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56021

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: OT: Omicron variant
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 07:58:43 -0500
 by: knuttle - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 12:58 UTC

I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild

Quote from this Doctor: ""Their symptoms were so different and so mild
from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph. It
presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for
a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we have
detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell.
They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of
those infected some are currently being treated at home"

Re: Omicron variant

<so00fq$saj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56022&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56022

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Omicron variant
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 08:33:55 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:33 UTC

"knuttle" <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
|I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.
| |
https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild
| | Quote from this Doctor: ""Their symptoms were so different and so mild
| from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph. It
| presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for
| a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we have
| detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell.
| They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of
| those infected some are currently being treated at home"

I imagine that if there's anything to it the news will get out.
What you linked is just a hearsay piece about a few patients,
with no indication of what the total number of patients is, or
whether any have a severe case. It looks like right-wing wishful
thinking. Then if it ends up bad then Fox can blame it on a
left-wing conspiracy... We live in strange times.

As far as I know, all variants
have been mild or non-symptomatic in most people. But some
people get it bad and some get the longterm effects. I haven't
heard any definitive assessment about omicron, except that
it seems to be very easily transmitted through the air.

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<so00ms$rk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56023&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56023

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: OT: Omicron variant
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 08:37:23 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:37 UTC

On 11/28/2021 7:58 AM, knuttle wrote:
> I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.
>
> https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild
>
> Quote from this Doctor: ""Their symptoms were so different and so mild from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph. It presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home"

So I take it then, this is a statistics lesson ?

One sample does not a trend make. There is age,
pre-existing condition, gender, and racial background.
As confounding factors. Maybe the population there, is
not on diabetes medicine or high blood pressure pills.

With the existing COVID, individuals can be asymptomatic,
or they can be... dead. That's sort of the range.

There are some individuals who are naturally immune!

I don't know if you knew that or not.

A government strategy then, would be to let
everyone else die, and the ones who are naturally
immune would "inherit the earth". Makes sense.
What we don't know, is if the natural immunity is
heritable. They are working with the naturally immune,
but I have not seen any reports of what they have learned.
If you dilute derivatives of the blood of the naturally
immune, whatever makes them immune, still works.

If I was that South African doctor, I'd want to take some
blood samples, to look for clotting. To see if any of the
"survivable" side effects are present or not. Whether
Timmy has the sniffles, is a superficial analysis. I'm not
blaming the doctor, just the idea that this is all we need
to do is check for sniffles.

*******

Some of the reports have said "we should wait and see until
we have more information about the new variant".

Other reports have said "we've been dopey bastards in the past,
let us see if we can improve our response this time".

Yes, by all means, we should not let the media bury all these
(varied) opinions.

*******

Technically, this mutation has taken a giant hop genetically.
Previously, there might have been five or eight changes
in a mutation. This one has thirty changes. When that large
a mutation happens, medical science is naturally quite
cautious in approach.

It sounds like the South Africans have the lab facilities
to be tracking the lineage. Which makes me wonder how a
mutation with thirty changes can suddenly exist, without
a lineage leading up to it. As a non-scientist, I would
almost suspect the virus entered an animal population,
simmered for a while, and came back into the human population.

That, in fact, should be our biggest fear. That
it enters mammals at will. And any large population,
like factory farming, would be a giant petri dish for
the damn stuff. That's why farmers these days, would
already be doing more than the normal level of paranoia
regarding visitors entering their rearing facilities.

This is why they wanted to kill 17 million mink.
So it would not be a biological reservoir and
a strange source of mutations.

Sure, the stuff is low risk. But, it also has
the world of opportunity. Now that it's loose,
that's why we have to be careful.

Paul

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<so01ig$v88$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56025&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56025

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:52:18 +0100
 by: Piet - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:52 UTC

knuttle wrote:
> I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.

For obvious and scientifically sound reasons.

-p

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<20211128081138.163f97d5@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56026&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56026

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 08:11:38 -0600
 by: Johnny - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:11 UTC

On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 07:58:43 -0500
knuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.
>
> https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild
>
> Quote from this Doctor: ""Their symptoms were so different and so
> mild from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph. It
> presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness
> for a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we
> have detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or
> smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent
> symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home"

The liberal democrats would love to see this country forced into
another lockdown, but it's too late to bury this story.

The symptoms described below are from the doctor that discovered the
variant, so who should know better than her?

What are the symptoms of the omicron variant?
Cassie Werber 1 hr ago

The South African doctor who first identified the omicron variant that
is spreading in the country and abroad has described the symptoms as
she observed them in her patients, stating that the strain is so far
producing “very, very mild” effects.

Dr Angelique Coetzee told BBC News that she had first noticed the
symptoms in a young, male patient around the age of 30 whom she
normally knew to be very healthy. He was “extremely tired” as well as
having “body aches and pains with a bit of a headache,” a “scratchy”
rather than sore throat, and no cough or loss of taste or smell, she
said. What are the symptoms of the omicron variant?

Coetzee tested the man for Covid-19 and found him to be positive, then
tested his family and found them all to have the virus, despite showing
only “very, very mild symptoms,” she said. For the rest of the day,
people kept presenting at her surgery with similar symptoms, and all
tested positive. Noticing that the symptoms seemed to differ from the
delta variant, which had hitherto been the most prevalent form of covid
globally, she alerted the country’s vaccines committee, of which she is
a member. They announced their resultant discovery of the omicron
variant a few days later.

Perhaps reassuringly for those who are worrying about this new
development, Coetzee noted that none of the cases she knew of were
serious. “What we are seeing clinically in South Africa, and remember
that I’m at the epicenter, that’s where I’m practicing, is extremely
mild…We haven’t admitted anyone [to hospital]. I spoke to other
colleagues of mine: The same picture,” she told the BBC.

However, she did caution that the picture might change in the next
weeks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/what-are-the-symptoms-of-the-omicron-variant/ar-AARdONa?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<FoShdubEP5ohFwM8@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56027&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56027

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:35:48 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:35 UTC

On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 at 08:37:23, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my
[]
>Technically, this mutation has taken a giant hop genetically.
>Previously, there might have been five or eight changes
>in a mutation. This one has thirty changes. When that large
>a mutation happens, medical science is naturally quite
>cautious in approach.
>
>It sounds like the South Africans have the lab facilities
>to be tracking the lineage. Which makes me wonder how a
>mutation with thirty changes can suddenly exist, without
>a lineage leading up to it. As a non-scientist, I would
>almost suspect the virus entered an animal population,
>simmered for a while, and came back into the human population.
[]
I'm assuming that the lineage _has_ been observed, just not reported in
detail - otherwise, why have we jumped from the fourth letter of the
Greek alphabet to the fifteenth? (The next after delta should have been
epsilon.)

[Why we're using Greek letters - or letters at all, rather than numbers
- is another question.]

The thing about smut is it harms no one and it's rarely cruel. Besides, it's a
gleeful rejection of the dreary and the "correct".
- Alison Graham, RT 2014/10/25-31

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<j0hlhjF618bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56028&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56028

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:28:49 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:28 UTC

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> why have we jumped from the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet to the fifteenth?

The intervening letters were assigned to "variants of interest" which didn't go
on to become "variants of concern".

Apart from "nu" which as a homophone of "new" would not really have made a good
name, xi seems to have been skipped do to China (the name of a region, or the
president, you choose).

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<so07h2$4et$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56029&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56029

From: lws4...@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:33:52 -0500
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:33 UTC

Paul wrote:

> With the existing COVID, individuals can be asymptomatic,
> or they can be... dead. That's sort of the range.

Of course those who throw caution to the wind are most "certain" that
only the left side of that range applies to them... When reality does
not bend to their will is not like you get a "do over".

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<j0hp6qF6ne6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56031&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56031

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 16:31:21 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 16:31 UTC

On 28/11/2021 14:11, Johnny wrote:
> The symptoms described below are from the doctor that discovered the
> variant, so who should know better than her?

Almost any scientist who has seen the information relating to a larger
sample of people known to have this variant would know better.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Omicron variant

<j0hpbdF6o41U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56032&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56032

From: jennyte...@gmail.com (Jenni Telia)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:33:49 +0100
 by: Jenni Telia - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 16:33 UTC

On 28/11/2021 14:33, Mayayana wrote:
> "knuttle" <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> |I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.
> |

> https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild
> |
> | Quote from this Doctor: ""Their symptoms were so different and so mild
> | from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph. It
> | presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for
> | a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we have
> | detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell.
> | They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of
> | those infected some are currently being treated at home"
>
> I imagine that if there's anything to it the news will get out.
> What you linked is just a hearsay piece about a few patients,

Oh? Have you heard that Israel is now in total lockdown. That's some
hearsay!

<American psychobabble deleted>

> As far as I know, all variants
> have been mild or non-symptomatic in most people.

Including those who have died? I'd like to have your definition of
'non-symptomatic'.

But some
> people get it bad and some get the longterm effects. I haven't
> heard any definitive assessment about omicron, except that
> it seems to be very easily transmitted through the air.

Perhaps it is time you took your head out of your own ars, and look at
the real world, not just Fox news.

They say there is one born every minute. My impression is that the USoA
has more that it share of morons, and I count you among its numbers.

Re: Omicron variant

<txw248k884ki.dlg@example1357.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56034&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56034

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:17:31 +0000
 by: mechanic - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:17 UTC

On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:33:49 +0100, Jenni Telia wrote:

> On 28/11/2021 14:33, Mayayana wrote:
>> "knuttle" <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>|I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.
>>|

>> https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild
>>|
>>| Quote from this Doctor: ""Their symptoms were so different and so mild
>>| from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph. It
>>| presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for
>>| a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we have
>>| detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell.
>>| They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of
>>| those infected some are currently being treated at home"
>>
>> I imagine that if there's anything to it the news will get out.
>> What you linked is just a hearsay piece about a few patients,
>
> Oh? Have you heard that Israel is now in total lockdown. That's some
> hearsay!
>
> <American psychobabble deleted>

Yes, another one for the bozo bin.

Re: Omicron variant

<j0ht9aF7fpqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56035&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56035

From: jennyte...@gmail.com (Jenni Telia)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 18:40:58 +0100
 by: Jenni Telia - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:40 UTC

On 28/11/2021 18:17, mechanic wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:33:49 +0100, Jenni Telia wrote:
>
>> On 28/11/2021 14:33, Mayayana wrote:
>>> "knuttle" <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> |

>>> https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild

>>> I imagine that if there's anything to it the news will get out.
>>> What you linked is just a hearsay piece about a few patients,
>>
>> Oh? Have you heard that Israel is now in total lockdown. That's some
>> hearsay!
>>
>> <American psychobabble deleted>
>
> Yes, another one for the bozo bin.

<https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-59448547>

Re: Omicron variant

<so0tdu.j90.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56045&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56045

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 28 Nov 2021 20:47:51 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:47 UTC

Jenni Telia <jennytelia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28/11/2021 14:33, Mayayana wrote:
> > "knuttle" <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > |I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.
> > |

> > https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild
> > |
> > | Quote from this Doctor: ""Their symptoms were so different and so mild
> > | from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph. It
> > | presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for
> > | a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we have
> > | detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell.
> > | They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of
> > | those infected some are currently being treated at home"
> >
> > I imagine that if there's anything to it the news will get out.
> > What you linked is just a hearsay piece about a few patients,
>

> Oh? Have you heard that Israel is now in total lockdown. That's some
> hearsay!
>

> <American psychobabble deleted>
>

> > As far as I know, all variants
> > have been mild or non-symptomatic in most people.
>
> Including those who have died? I'd like to have your definition of
> 'non-symptomatic'.
>
> But some
> > people get it bad and some get the longterm effects. I haven't
> > heard any definitive assessment about omicron, except that
> > it seems to be very easily transmitted through the air.
> >

> Perhaps it is time you took your head out of your own ars, and look at
> the real world, not just Fox news.
>
> They say there is one born every minute. My impression is that the USoA
> has more that it share of morons, and I count you among its numbers.

You might want to cool down and re-read what Mayayana *really* wrote.

You misinterpreted everything he wrote, especially the "American
psychobabble" and the "Fox news" thing.

Bottom line: He's on *your* 'side', but you don't even realize it. So
*who* is the "moron" here?

Re: Omicron variant

<so10ru$mkl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56048&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56048

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:46:29 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 22:46 UTC

"Jenni Telia" <jennytelia@gmail.com> wrote

| Oh? Have you heard that Israel is now in total lockdown. That's some
| hearsay!

I did hear that, yes. And now the US. A doctor from Brown U
was asked about that. He said it might slow things down by
a week or two, if it's not already in the US, but that mostly
the lockdowns are done as PR, so that people will feel something
is being done. He also mentioned that S. Africa is better than
most countries with research and testing, so they may only be
the first people who found omicron. It might already be well spread
around.

We'll see. Maybe it will be very bad. Maybe it won't. Right now
no one knows. Israel's ban is somewhat humorous. They're banning
foreigners entering the country, but not Israelis. Typical of
Israel: Everything is about nationalism. If you read the article
you linked you'll see that for every sensationalistic scare they
have a disclaimer:

"What we know is Omicron has mutations that theoretically help it to spread
more quickly and there is mounting evidence of that happening in South
Africa. ... But we don't know how transmissible it is. We don't know whether
it is milder or more severe."

Translation: "Sorry to get you hysterical Brits worked up,
but we needed to write something that would make people
scroll down to the last ad."

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<so2g4l$kmi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56055&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56055

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:13:08 +0000
 by: Chris - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:13 UTC

On 28/11/2021 13:37, Paul wrote:
> On 11/28/2021 7:58 AM, knuttle wrote:
>> I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.
>>
>> https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild
>>

>> Quote from this Doctor: ""Their symptoms were so different and so mild
>> from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph. It
>> presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness
>> for a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we
>> have detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or
>> smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent
>> symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home"
>
> So I take it then, this is a statistics lesson ?
>
> One sample does not a trend make. There is age,
> pre-existing condition, gender, and racial background.
> As confounding factors. Maybe the population there, is
> not on diabetes medicine or high blood pressure pills.

Correct.

> With the existing COVID, individuals can be asymptomatic,
> or they can be... dead. That's sort of the range.
>
> There are some individuals who are naturally immune!
>
> I don't know if you knew that or not.
>
> A government strategy then, would be to let
> everyone else die, and the ones who are naturally
> immune would "inherit the earth". Makes sense.
> What we don't know, is if the natural immunity is
> heritable. They are working with the naturally immune,
> but I have not seen any reports of what they have learned.
> If you dilute derivatives of the blood of the naturally
> immune, whatever makes them immune, still works.
>
> If I was that South African doctor, I'd want to take some
> blood samples, to look for clotting. To see if any of the
> "survivable" side effects are present or not. Whether
> Timmy has the sniffles, is a superficial analysis. I'm not
> blaming the doctor, just the idea that this is all we need
> to do is check for sniffles.
>
> *******
>
> Some of the reports have said "we should wait and see until
> we have more information about the new variant".
>
> Other reports have said "we've been dopey bastards in the past,
> let us see if we can improve our response this time".
>
> Yes, by all means, we should not let the media bury all these
> (varied) opinions.
>
> *******
>
> Technically, this mutation has taken a giant hop genetically.
> Previously, there might have been five or eight changes
> in a mutation. This one has thirty changes. When that large
> a mutation happens, medical science is naturally quite
> cautious in approach.
>
> It sounds like the South Africans have the lab facilities
> to be tracking the lineage. Which makes me wonder how a
> mutation with thirty changes can suddenly exist, without
> a lineage leading up to it.

The thirty changes is in reference to the original strain. There have
been hundreds of variants during that time.
https://cov-lineages.org/

> As a non-scientist, I would
> almost suspect the virus entered an animal population,
> simmered for a while, and came back into the human population.

Very unlikely. By jumping species a virus loses potency as it adapts to
the new species.

> That, in fact, should be our biggest fear.

Nope see above.

> That
> it enters mammals at will.

Viruses don't have will. It is simply random mutation coupled with
natural selection.

> And any large population,
> like factory farming, would be a giant petri dish for
> the damn stuff. That's why farmers these days, would
> already be doing more than the normal level of paranoia
> regarding visitors entering their rearing facilities.

The biggest, and most dangerous, "petri dish" is the human population.
The more the virus is able to jump from person to person in large
numbers the more opportunity it has to gain in potency and virulence in
the host species we're most worried about: us. It also means it could
peter out.

This is why we must keep up with the barrier controls to the virus *as
well as* the vaccines.

> This is why they wanted to kill 17 million mink.
> So it would not be a biological reservoir and
> a strange source of mutations.

That was a pointless, expensive and illegal exercise.

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<so2gi5$njh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56056&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56056

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:20:20 +0000
 by: Chris - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:20 UTC

On 28/11/2021 14:35, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 at 08:37:23, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my
> []
>> Technically, this mutation has taken a giant hop genetically.
>> Previously, there might have been five or eight changes
>> in a mutation. This one has thirty changes. When that large
>> a mutation happens, medical science is naturally quite
>> cautious in approach.
>>
>> It sounds like the South Africans have the lab facilities
>> to be tracking the lineage. Which makes me wonder how a
>> mutation with thirty changes can suddenly exist, without
>> a lineage leading up to it. As a non-scientist, I would
>> almost suspect the virus entered an animal population,
>> simmered for a while, and came back into the human population.
> []
> I'm assuming that the lineage _has_ been observed, just not reported in
> detail - otherwise, why have we jumped from the fourth letter of the
> Greek alphabet to the fifteenth? (The next after delta should have been
> epsilon.)
>
> [Why we're using Greek letters - or letters at all, rather than numbers
> - is another question.]

Scientifically, the lineages are traced more systematically than simple
letters or numbers can achieve.
https://cov-lineages.org/

The omicron variant is actually: B.1.1.529
And delta is: B.1.617.2

The letters are to help with media messaging.

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<so2h7n$s2l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56057&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56057

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:31:50 +0000
 by: Chris - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:31 UTC

On 28/11/2021 14:11, Johnny wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 07:58:43 -0500
> knuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.
>>
>> https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild
>>
>> Quote from this Doctor: ""Their symptoms were so different and so
>> mild from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph. It
>> presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness
>> for a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we
>> have detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or
>> smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent
>> symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home"
>
> The liberal democrats would love to see this country forced into
> another lockdown, but it's too late to bury this story.
>
> The symptoms described below are from the doctor that discovered the
> variant, so who should know better than her?

She's one doctor with one cohort of apparently young and otherwise
healthy patients. Pretty much any variant of the virus will be mild to
that cohort. The bigger picture may be utterly different.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/south-african-doctor-raised-alarm-omicron-variant-says-symptoms/

Let's not fool ourselves into a false sense of security. Things always
start fine and escalate very, very quickly. Remeber that any COVID
result is ~10 days behind the actual community prevalence.

Being complacent is what caused the porblems in many countries.

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<20211129081308.16073ece@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56058&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56058

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 08:13:08 -0600
 by: Johnny - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 14:13 UTC

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:31:50 +0000
Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28/11/2021 14:11, Johnny wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 07:58:43 -0500
> > knuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.
> >>
> >> https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild
> >>
> >> Quote from this Doctor: ""Their symptoms were so different and so
> >> mild from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph.
> >> It presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and
> >> tiredness for a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained.
> >> "So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer the
> >> loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are
> >> no prominent symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being
> >> treated at home"
> >
> > The liberal democrats would love to see this country forced into
> > another lockdown, but it's too late to bury this story.
> >
> > The symptoms described below are from the doctor that discovered the
> > variant, so who should know better than her?
>
> She's one doctor with one cohort of apparently young and otherwise
> healthy patients. Pretty much any variant of the virus will be mild
> to that cohort. The bigger picture may be utterly different.
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/south-african-doctor-raised-alarm-omicron-variant-says-symptoms/
>
> Let's not fool ourselves into a false sense of security. Things
> always start fine and escalate very, very quickly. Remeber that any
> COVID result is ~10 days behind the actual community prevalence.
>
> Being complacent is what caused the porblems in many countries.

Not just one doctor.

“What we are seeing clinically in South Africa, and remember
that I’m at the epicenter, that’s where I’m practicing, is extremely
mild…We haven’t admitted anyone [to hospital]. I spoke to other
colleagues of mine: The same picture,” she told the BBC.

It's pretty obvious the vaccine is not working. Fully vaccinated
people now need booster shots.

Will the population of the world have to be vaccinated every time the
virus mutates?

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<so2qi3$vq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56060&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56060

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 10:11:07 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:11 UTC

"Johnny" <johnny@invalid.net> wrote

It's pretty obvious the vaccine is not working. Fully vaccinated
people now need booster shots.

Interesting. Why do you suppose they need boosters if
it doesn't work?

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<291120211019327034%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56062&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56062

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 10:19:32 -0500
 by: nospam - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:19 UTC

In article <so2qi3$vq$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> It's pretty obvious the vaccine is not working. Fully vaccinated
> people now need booster shots.
> >

> Interesting. Why do you suppose they need boosters if
> it doesn't work?

obviously, it's for wider deployment of 5g services. it turns out that
the signal strength isn't strong enough, thus needing a boost.

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<so317f.mag.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56064&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56064

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 29 Nov 2021 16:04:57 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:04 UTC

Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> "Johnny" <johnny@invalid.net> wrote
>

> It's pretty obvious the vaccine is not working. Fully vaccinated
> people now need booster shots.
> >

> Interesting. Why do you suppose they need boosters if
> it doesn't work?

Again not paying attention, are we!? Didn't you notice the name of
this newsgroup?

It clearly is hush-hush speak for Windows Update updates to Windows 10!
Not that these 'boosters' have a snowflake chance in hell to get the
'vaccine' to work, but that never stopped Billy, did it!?

FYI, I'm still using the Spanish flu one, works great!

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<so31qq.mag.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56066&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56066

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 29 Nov 2021 16:15:14 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:15 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <so2qi3$vq$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
> <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>

> > It's pretty obvious the vaccine is not working. Fully vaccinated
> > people now need booster shots.
> > >

> > Interesting. Why do you suppose they need boosters if
> > it doesn't work?
>
> obviously, it's for wider deployment of 5g services. it turns out that
> the signal strength isn't strong enough, thus needing a boost.

Ah!? I thought the (metal) forks on people's arms gave enough of a
boost. But probably the tin-foil hats are counteracting that.

Anyway, we're trying to switch from 3G to 2G, so we won't have such
coverage problems. (Sorry, you'll have to understand Dutch/German to get
that one.)

Re: OT: Omicron variant

<so309q$c7f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56069&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56069

From: stenz...@nospam.gmail.com (Zack Sten)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:48:58 -0500
 by: Zack Sten - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:48 UTC

On 11/28/2021 7:58 AM, knuttle wrote:
> I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.
>
> https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild
>

> Quote from this Doctor: ""Their symptoms were so different and so mild
> from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph. It
> presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for
> a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we have
> detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell.
> They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of
> those infected some are currently being treated at home"

Just what does this have to do with Windows-10?

Re: Omicron variant

<d6daqgdb91tss28ic6qu7ccc61a528o1fe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56075&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56075

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:28:59 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 20:28 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:46:29 -0500,
"Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>"Jenni Telia" <jennytelia@gmail.com> wrote
>
>| Oh? Have you heard that Israel is now in total lockdown.

Only as a precaution, until they found out if it's bad or not, if the
vaccine works against it, etc.

And you missused lockdown. There is no lockdown, where people can't go
to movies concerts, etc. in Israel now. Only that the border has been
closed and that's to prevent spread.

> That's some
>| hearsay!

And Israel is NOT what Mayayana called hearsay.

So that's two mistakes for you.

> I did hear that, yes. And now the US. A doctor from Brown U
>was asked about that. He said it might slow things down by
>a week or two, if it's not already in the US, but that mostly
>the lockdowns are done as PR, so that people will feel something
>is being done. He also mentioned that S. Africa is better than
>most countries with research and testing, so they may only be
>the first people who found omicron. It might already be well spread
>around.
>
> We'll see. Maybe it will be very bad. Maybe it won't. Right now
>no one knows. Israel's ban is somewhat humorous. They're banning
>foreigners entering the country, but not Israelis. Typical of

Because the law in Israel prevents excluding them. But they have to
take a PCR test after they land, go to at least one day isolation until
the results come back and up to 2 weeks isolation, where they have to
have their own room and have their food left in front of their door.

And the USA has done the SAME thing as Israel:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

No entry from South Africa and the 7 countries near it EXCEPT

As further provided in the Proclamation,citizens and lawful permanent
residents of the United States, certain family members, and other
individuals who meet specified exceptions, who have been in one of the
countries listed above in the past 14 days will be allowed to enter the
United States. See CDC’s Travel Assessment to learn what’s required to
travel by air to the United States.

Despite the date in the url, this was updated 2 days ago.

>Israel: Everything is about nationalism. If you read the article

I guess that is true of the US too then.

>you linked you'll see that for every sensationalistic scare they
>have a disclaimer:
>
>"What we know is Omicron has mutations that theoretically help it to spread
>more quickly and there is mounting evidence of that happening in South
>Africa. ... But we don't know how transmissible it is. We don't know whether
>it is milder or more severe."
>
>Translation: "Sorry to get you hysterical Brits worked up,
>but we needed to write something that would make people
>scroll down to the last ad."

Re: Omicron variant

<b6eaqg9lrnkk540sjb8oe6bmkqebdajsc2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56077&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56077

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:36:14 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 20:36 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:33:49 +0100, Jenni
Telia <jennytelia@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 28/11/2021 14:33, Mayayana wrote:
>> "knuttle" <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> |I am posting this as it will be quickly buried by the media.
>> |

>> https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild
>> |
>> | Quote from this Doctor: ""Their symptoms were so different and so mild
>> | from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph. It
>> | presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for
>> | a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we have
>> | detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell.
>> | They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of
>> | those infected some are currently being treated at home"
>>
>> I imagine that if there's anything to it the news will get out.
>> What you linked is just a hearsay piece about a few patients,
>

>Oh? Have you heard that Israel is now in total lockdown. That's some
>hearsay!

No, and no. See reply to Mayayana

><American psychobabble deleted>
>

>> As far as I know, all variants
>> have been mild or non-symptomatic in most people.
>
>Including those who have died? I'd like to have your definition of
>'non-symptomatic'.
>
>But some
>> people get it bad and some get the longterm effects. I haven't
>> heard any definitive assessment about omicron, except that
>> it seems to be very easily transmitted through the air.

That and that it has more mutations than most other variants, which is a
reason for concern but not a symptom or effect, which is what you're
talkign about.

>Perhaps it is time you took your head out of your own ars, and look at
>the real world, not just Fox news.

I don't listen or watch Fox news and he's almost entirely right.

>They say there is one born every minute. My impression is that the USoA
>has more that it share of morons, and I count you among its numbers.

To make this point, you didn't start off well.