The devil finds work for idle circuits to do.

computers / alt.folklore.computers / Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connections

SubjectAuthor
* Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJason Evans
+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsScott Lurndal
|+- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsPeter Flass
|+- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJason Evans
|`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsDan Espen
| +* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsScott Lurndal
| |`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsDan Espen
| | `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsScott Lurndal
| +- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAndreas Kohlbach
| +* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJason Evans
| |`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsBud Frede
| | `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJohnny Billquist
| |  `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsD.J.
| +* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsMagnus Olsson
| |+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsQuadibloc
| ||+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsDan Espen
| ||`- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsPeter Flass
| |`- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsVir Campestris
| `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJohnny Billquist
|  `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionschris
|   `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionschris
+- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsPeter Flass
+- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJason Evans
+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJ. Clarke
|`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsmaus
| `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsCharlie Gibbs
+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJoe Pfeiffer
|+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsDan Espen
||+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsCharlie Gibbs
|||`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsDan Espen
||| `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsCharlie Gibbs
||`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJ. Clarke
|| `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsDan Espen
|`- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsChris Adams
+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsChris Adams
|`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAndreas Kohlbach
| +- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsScott Lurndal
| `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJan van den Broek
+- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJohnny Billquist
+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsChris Adams
|+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsLawrence Statton (NK1G
||`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsPeter Flass
|| `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsLawrence Statton (NK1G
|`- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJohn Goerzen
+- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionschris
+- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsRick C
+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsDaiyu Hurst
|+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAhem A Rivet's Shot
||`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsKurt Weiske
|| `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAhem A Rivet's Shot
||  +* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsLawrence Statton (NK1G
||  |`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsScott Lurndal
||  | `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsLawrence Statton (NK1G
||  |  `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsVir Campestris
||  |   +* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsScott Lurndal
||  |   |+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsCharlie Gibbs
||  |   ||+- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsMike Spencer
||  |   ||+- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsD.J.
||  |   ||`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsCharles Richmond
||  |   || `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsMike Spencer
||  |   |`- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsKerr-Mudd, John
||  |   `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsLawrence Statton (NK1G
||  `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsKurt Weiske
|`- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsDennis Boone
+- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJohn Goerzen
+- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsChris Hanson
+* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJan van den Broek
|`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJohn Goerzen
| +- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsCharlie Gibbs
| +* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsCharles Richmond
| |`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsCharlie Gibbs
| | `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsMichael Cardell Widerkrantz
| +* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsPeter Flass
| |`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJoe Pfeiffer
| | `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsFreddy1X
| |  `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJoe Pfeiffer
| |   `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsFreddy1X
| |    `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJoe Pfeiffer
| +* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAhem A Rivet's Shot
| |`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJoe Pfeiffer
| | `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAhem A Rivet's Shot
| `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJan van den Broek
|  `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJohn Goerzen
|   +* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAhem A Rivet's Shot
|   |+- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsKurt Weiske
|   |`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAnssi Saari
|   | +- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAhem A Rivet's Shot
|   | `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAnne & Lynn Wheeler
|   `* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsKurt Weiske
|    +* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsScott Lurndal
|    |`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    | +* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsKurt Weiske
|    | |`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    | | `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsAnne & Lynn Wheeler
|    | `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsVir Campestris
|    `- Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsJohn Goerzen
`* Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connectionsChristian Brunschen

Pages:12345
Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connections

<slrntbqbal.3pjt5.jgoerzen@slrnh.complete.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5503&group=alt.folklore.computers#5503

From: jgoer...@complete.org (John Goerzen)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connections
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 04:57:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Goerzen - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 04:57 UTC

On 2022-06-23, Kurt Weiske <kurt.weiske@realitycheckbbs.org.remove-11mi-this> wrote:
> AS/400 terminal session via twinax, and run Word and Excel natively - with 8

"twinax". Now there's a word I haven't seen, in that context, for awhile.

I worked for a manufacturing company that finally got off the AS/400 in 2005.
That twinax was never removed from the walls, and it is the kind of stout stuff
that will probably be around until the sun goes nova...

I had a real moment of confusion when I first heard of Twinax being used for
10Gb copper Ethernet. Weird echoes, that.

John

Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connections

<t9vl0f$3fkmn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5517&group=alt.folklore.computers#5517

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 22:10:39 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 21:10 UTC

On 24/06/2022 14:20, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 12:52:31 GMT
> scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
>
>> The 16550 or 16450? The 16550 came later and added a 16 byte FIFO for
>> inbound characters;
>
> Then the 16550A came out with the bugs fixed. With them on two 16
> port cards I managed to run 32 modems at 19200 on a 50MHz 486 without
> dropping a byte.

I ran 4 channels on a '186 along with networking once on an embedded
system. No problem at all.

The problem wasn't handling the interrupts, it wass coexisting with
someone else's software that goes non-interruptible.

Andy

Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connections

<Fl8RK.147876$BQA7.39129@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6523&group=alt.folklore.computers#6523

From: fre...@mouse-potato.com (Bud Frede)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 17:00:18 -0400
 by: Bud Frede - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 21:00 UTC

Jason Evans <jsevans@mailfence.com> writes:

> On Tue, 17 May 2022 10:47:20 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
>

>> Can't imagine actually wanting a tube CRT in my house.
>
> One of the current hot nerd topics is the idea of putting together retro-
> futuristic cyberdeck devices as secondary or project devices. Cyberdecks
> are machines with tiny lcd screens with nearly full sized keyboards.

I would think that a cyberdeck would be no good without a set of 'trodes
to induct the display right into your brain? :-)

A computer with a nearly full-sized keyboard but an unusably small LCD
display doesn't sound like much fun to me. What am I missing?

Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connections

<tf3770$u3r$1@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6524&group=alt.folklore.computers#6524

From: bqt...@softjar.se (Johnny Billquist)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 00:01:04 +0200
 by: Johnny Billquist - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 22:01 UTC

On 2022-09-04 23:00, Bud Frede wrote:
> Jason Evans <jsevans@mailfence.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 17 May 2022 10:47:20 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
>>

>>> Can't imagine actually wanting a tube CRT in my house.
>>
>> One of the current hot nerd topics is the idea of putting together retro-
>> futuristic cyberdeck devices as secondary or project devices. Cyberdecks
>> are machines with tiny lcd screens with nearly full sized keyboards.
>
> I would think that a cyberdeck would be no good without a set of 'trodes
> to induct the display right into your brain? :-)
>
> A computer with a nearly full-sized keyboard but an unusably small LCD
> display doesn't sound like much fun to me. What am I missing?

Queue Terry Gilliam... Hello fresnel lens. :-D

Johnny

Re: Best dumb terminal for serial connections

<hg9ahhdbmrlkpt6j65f9ag8qqvtjh61u2t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6525&group=alt.folklore.computers#6525

From: chuckthe...@gmnol.com (D.J.)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 17:27:12 -0500
 by: D.J. - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 22:27 UTC

On Mon, 5 Sep 2022 00:01:04 +0200, Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
wrote:
>On 2022-09-04 23:00, Bud Frede wrote:
>> Jason Evans <jsevans@mailfence.com> writes:

>>> One of the current hot nerd topics is the idea of putting together retro-
>>> futuristic cyberdeck devices as secondary or project devices. Cyberdecks
>>> are machines with tiny lcd screens with nearly full sized keyboards.
>>
>> I would think that a cyberdeck would be no good without a set of 'trodes
>> to induct the display right into your brain? :-)
>>
>> A computer with a nearly full-sized keyboard but an unusably small LCD
>> display doesn't sound like much fun to me. What am I missing?
>
>Queue Terry Gilliam... Hello fresnel lens. :-D
>
> Johnny

If you want to see small lcd screens and a large keyboard:

https://www.adafruit.com/

--
Jim