Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 10:07:30 -0700 (PDT)
<62e63782-2923-4134-a3fd-2043cbeb7cfcn@googlegroups.com> <OKydnUqVkaXTNvz_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<a54f9fd3-d197-4416-a916-a2dae0670dd7n@googlegroups.com> <269d156a-8470-47c1-9370-d9137cf9b5b4n@googlegroups.com>
<i6ednYEwLs3uX_z_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com> <20220421215430.00003f4d@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<DMadncH1Y9RSW_z_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <224e0622-d148-4ab4-bb41-ceb57db83ff0n@googlegroups.com>
<fc9f8f31-80c1-4531-8e0a-a84d85fe00e0n@googlegroups.com> <7_adnYuTXbOTSfz_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<bd546d98-7261-4baa-8b2b-6977a1e994f0n@googlegroups.com> <8eedna7DIJm8fPz_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<670b3b0a-129e-4a40-b735-501c46901a9cn@googlegroups.com> <zsSdnSl78JM6XP__nZ2dnUU7_81QAAAA@giganews.com>
<01566d33-a60b-437e-9750-bc413bb00b64n@googlegroups.com> <XeudnUE8fvPITf__nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<8044117f-2855-4e48-b8db-dd11645cd3ban@googlegroups.com> <Nf-dnTr-4bKhRP__nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
Subject: Re: cia [ philosophical materialism ]
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 17:07 UTC

On Friday, April 22, 2022 at 12:35:16 PM UTC-4, olcott wrote:
> On 4/22/2022 11:14 AM, B.H. wrote:

> >> None-the-less when you see them with your own eyes first hand disbelief
> >> is erased.
> >
> > My guess would be that if people are "seeing miracles" it might be because they are caused by a sort of large network of people who share their beliefs and see the world that way.
> IT CAN BE EMPIRICALLY VERIFIED THAT REALITY HAS NO INDEPENDENT EXISTENCE
> APART FROM MIND IN THAT MERE THOUGHTS HELD SILENTLY WITHIN THE MIND
> BECOME PHYSICALLY MANIFEST AS CHANGES TO PHYSICAL REALITY.

If you writing in all caps means that you are upset that I will not respond to this point, because I am not out to upset you.

> maya, (Sanskrit: “magic” or “illusion”) a fundamental concept in Hindu
> philosophy, notably in the Advaita (Nondualist) school of Vedanta. Maya
> originally denoted the magic power with which a god can make human
> beings believe in what turns out to be an illusion.
> By extension, it later came to mean the powerful force that creates the
> cosmic illusion that the phenomenal world is real.

It sounds like you are suggesting that all of reality is an illusion. I.e., from any person's inertial frame, one can see a whole "fake reality" that is merely a projection of an illusion of god that the person perceives, not understanding that this person is the only person other than a god who truly exists. Actually, I remember I read a book called "Flat Land" many years ago, and it discusses the idea of a zero-dimensional organism that can't see what is beyond his own perception of reality. I am not accusing you of being "zero-dimensional," but it sounds like you might be suggesting that every person lives in a sort of "reality box" and perceives only his/her own illusion.

I sort of believed something like that in high school...I thought that the whole world was like "The Matrix," and people were isolated and just playing a "massively multiplayer online roleplaying game." I think the reason I believed that was culture shock...I was used to environment when I was a pre-teen, and then suddenly in high school, it felt like the rules of the environment I was always in had essentially vanished--I thought there were no rules or morality, and there was just this big "open field" of people interacting and doing whatever they pleased. I think I had sort of absorbed some "overwhelming cues" from the outside world in a way that I didn't fully analyze...I was transitioning away from Catholicism, and didn't really know how to analyze my new way of seeing the world and my new environment.

Have you ever looked for alternate explanations? One thing I tried once, just for fun, was to pretend I was a Muslim...I didn't look at the Quran, but I just pretended that the objects in my area inside were "put there by the Muslim god" and that he was communicating to me in code to tell me things--commands about what I should do, since I think Muslims believe that they get commands from God, although you should note that isn't schizophrenia. I only did it for less than an hour...it was interesting and not painful, I didn't think it was for real but it was mildly stimulating, like listening to a neat song that I wouldn't ordinarily listen to.

Have you thought about just pretending that other people are real? It's a good way to investigate your belief system...you could pretend that reality is real, or just assume it, and see if you can discuss that with other people that you perceive in front of you, and try to see if you can find contradictions to the idea that reality exists externally. If possible, you might be able to build an "alternate philosophical understanding" that involves having an external reality, just to learn about it.

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)

> For the Nondualists, maya is thus that cosmic force that presents the
> infinite brahman (the supreme being) as the finite phenomenal world.
> Maya is reflected on the individual level by human ignorance (ajnana) of
> the real nature of the self, which is mistaken for the empirical ego but
> which is in reality identical with brahman.
> https://www.britannica.com/topic/maya-Indian-philosophy
> > This sounds like the kind of thing I would say these days...but if you think about the "miracle GDP," there are going to be historically established and "evolved" practices of, e.g., Christians who want good and maybe even sometimes "miraculous" things to happen for other Christians that they see as virtuous. So, there will be practices and rituals that people will learn to bring about "fortunate outcomes" for people that may "feel like miracles" but that outsiders, especially atheists, would be able to at least partially explain via science and tradition. E.g., if you have the expectation that you will lose you job, and then you pray and do some self-improvement and community service in your area to "serve God" to bolster your prayer to keep your job, community watchers, Christian or otherwise, might put in a good word for you with your boss...and particularly if your boss is Christian, he/she might quietly favor your service efforts as a justification for letting you keep your job when you were going to get let go. You might see it as "a miracle," but, as you would know if you've studied the Birthday Problem in mathematics, some things are just coincidence or caused by connections in the world that cause you to "have pleasant feelings about 'a miracle'" that are not really rooted in any supernatural activity, so much as just something you don't fully understand the mechanics of. Indeed, many wished-for miracles never happen; lots of people have died waiting for miracles that never happened, leading to the people who might have spoken about such "miracles" to be silent since they aren't alive on Earth any more.
> >
> > Here is a link to the Birthday Problem on Wikipedia if you're interested:
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem
> >
> > -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)

> >> --
> >> Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott
> >>
> >> "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
> >> Genius hits a target no one else can see."
> >> Arthur Schopenhauer
> --
> Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott
>
> "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
> Genius hits a target no one else can see."
> Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o cia

By: B.H. on Thu, 21 Apr 2022