From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.tech,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Empiricism trumps Arlen's idiocy (was Re: Real information on
brakes (was Re: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so
complex to add Covid-19 Vaccination Cards to the Apple Wallet?!)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 11:39:53 +1000
<t4274b$q63$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t46e3k$f5u$1@dont-email.me>
<t4grm7$17vn$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t4or6a$7pi$1@dont-email.me>
<t4p7vm$vrb$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t4q10n$uc5$1@dont-email.me>
<t4q88q$g48$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t4rsqt$chs$1@dont-email.me>
<t4rv71$i2i$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t4sl8q$rev$1@dont-email.me>
<t4tai6$1n42$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t54p9m$k09$1@dont-email.me>
<t57i62$p1k$1@dont-email.me> <t586ev$rlc$1@dont-email.me>
<t58odq$den$1@gioia.aioe.org> <jdr4ejF2re0U1@mid.individual.net>
<t5am27$d8o$1@gioia.aioe.org> <jds5vvF8regU1@mid.individual.net>
<t5bci7$18sp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t5h4gq$7tc$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Xeno - Thu, 12 May 2022 01:39 UTC

On 12/5/2022 5:58 am, Alan wrote:

>>> Or mounted on a brake lathe
>>
>> Agreed. All you need is a long flat edge and feeler gauges as a minimum.
>>
>> I'm all about facts. I'll change my mind in a split second if that's
>> where the facts lead.
>>
>> Let's look at the facts in this discussion between two adults on Usenet.
>>
>> My point is that nobody who says warp (as in potato chip) measures that
>> warp (as in potato chip), where I already know that warp (as in potato
>> chip) isn't what happens when a brake rotor is subject to intense
>> heating &
>> cooling cycles.
>> "High quality brake rotors that pass SAE J2928 Brake Rotor Thermal
>>   Cracking Procedure for Vehicles below 4,540 kg GVWR proves
>>   they don't warp"
>>
>> As I said, intuition is a terrible thing indeed.
>> "Calling it brake rotor warp demonstrates a complete misunderstanding
>>   of the metallurgy and the braking process"
>>
>>> I wasn't saying anything about rebedding at all.
>>
>> OK. But the fact that rebedding works sometimes means that what it fixed
>> wasn't warp (as in potato chip). What it fixed wasn't runout either.
>>
>> What it fixed is the only thing it _could_ fix, which is deposit buildup.
>>
>> Intuition is a terrible thing indeed.
>> "The brake pads and rotors in a street vehicle can't possibly
>>  generate enough heat to warp a brake rotor."

>>> Depends on the amount of warp and whether the rotor still meets
>>> minimum specs afterwards. It only takes a very small amount of warp
>>> for the driver to be able to sense it.
>>
>> Agreed.
>> However, any rotor that was subject to enough heat to truly warp it
>> (as in
>> potato chip) was subject to _tremendous_ heat - almost impossible to
>> attain
>> in a passenger vehicle (again, I'm not talking about the space shuttle
>> here).
>> "The heating and cooling that people refer to when discussing  'warped
>> brake rotors' would cause cracking, not warping."
>>
>> There are half a dozen materials rotors are made of though, so we'd
>> have to
>> look up the melting point of each of them to be more precise about
>> melting.
>> 1. cast iron
>> 2. steel
>> 3. stainless steel
>> 4. laminated steel
>> 5. high carbon iron (e.g., Sparta CX3.5)
>> 6. ceramic
>>
>>> The car showed *symptoms* of warp, the rotors, when measured showed
>>> *evidence* of warp. I drove the car, I felt the symptoms, I measured
>>> the rotor warp.
>>
>> I'll leave it at that since I respect your experience.
>>
>> Read this please, though (it's just one random hit of many of course):
>> *What causes warped brake rotors?*
>> <https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/warped-brake-rotors/>
>> "brake rotors DO NOT WARP from  normal driving or even race track use.
>>   Yes, you read that correctly. A typical street vehicle can't possibly
> [...]

Looks a lot like *warp* to me. ;-)

I don't think I would be bothered even starting to machine that one -
binned!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o re: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so complex

By: sms on Sat, 23 Apr 2022

367sms