From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.tech,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Empiricism trumps Arlen's idiocy (was Re: Real information on brakes (was Re: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so complex to add Covid-19 Vaccination Cards to the Apple Wallet?!)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 18:51:19 +0100
References: <t41gs5$vj9$1@dont-email.me> <jds5vvF8regU1@mid.individual.net> <t5bci7$18sp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <jdtp9oFibfoU1@mid.individual.net> <t5cd56$edt$1@dont-email.me> <t5cf6e$15p7$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t5h4ma$7tc$2@dont-email.me> <je367oFj9jnU1@mid.individual.net> <t5j0lt$vu5$1@dont-email.me> <je63d4F5gk0U1@mid.individual.net> <t5m42i$1ad2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <je8qseFldudU1@mid.individual.net> <t5ngbc$1tef$1@gioia.aioe.org> <je8v9rFm4riU2@mid.individual.net> <t5oasf$inc$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t5r1e5$gkq$1@dont-email.me> <t5rro3$1bdd$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t5s3oj$8mo$1@dont-email.me> <t5smtf$1lic$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t5tljf$utn$1@dont-email.me> <t5u2l4$bv0$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 16 May 2022 17:51 UTC

sms wrote:

> It's rather amusing to read this thread, which somehow ended up in the
> iPhone and Android newsgroups, where someone who has likely never
> performed an actual brake job on a vehicle attempts to promulgate
> misinformation on the subject.

Steve,
You are reading every word I state, which is fine, but stop pretending
please, as it means you think I'm too stupid to realize you constantly
regurgitate what I said about you.

I don't think anyone here doubts I do brake jobs all the time.
It's _you_ who has never done a brake job in your entire life.

You're the (ex) mayor of Cupertino.
Not a mechanic.

HINT: I've seen your resume.

> You have to wonder what the motivation is for him to lie about the issue
> of brake rotors warping from excessive heat.

If there is anyone intelligent on this newsgroup, is that funny to you?

a. I provided a dozen experts' cites saying warp is a myth.
b. Steve calls _all_ those dozen experts "liars".

WTF?
It is even possible to carry on an _adult_ conversation with Steve?
--
==================
*Warped Rotor Myth Training Video, by Raybestos Brand Brakes*

<https://www.facebook.com/RaybestosBrandBrakes/videos/warped-rotor-myth/2174044739282278/>
Many technicians will diagnose pedal pulsation as warped rotors.
Let's dispel that myth right now. *Rotors do not warp.*

*To warp a rotor you physically have to change the*
*metallurgy of that rotor. To change the metallurgy*
*of a rotor, you're running in excess of 2,300 degrees.*

_There is no brake system that runs 2,300 degrees._
==================
<https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/warped-brake-rotors/>
"To get cast iron hot enough to soften the metal you'd need to generate
almost 2,300�F range. There isn't a factory stock automotive brake
system in the world that's capable of generating that kind of heat.
In fact, you would experience brake pad fade, pad disintegration,
brake fluid boiling and rotor discoloration long before you
reached 1,000�F."
==================
Let's be clear we're "mostly" talking cast iron rotors here:
1. cast iron (2,300�F)
2. steel
3. stainless steel
4. laminated steel
5. high carbon iron (e.g., Sparta CX3.5)
6. ceramic

And, let's be clear about the boiling point of brake fluid.
<https://www.dixcel.co.jp/en/subcontent/literature/literature02.html>
DOT 3 >401�F (new) & 284�F (1-2 years old)
DOT 4 >446�F (new) & 311�F (1-2 years old)
DOT 5.1 >500�F (new) & 356�F (1-2 years old)
DOT 5 >500�F (new) & 356�F (1-2 years old)
==================
*Stop the "Warped" Rotors Myth and Service Brakes the Right Way*
<https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/>
Rotors are cast in extreme heat at three to five times greater
than the most aggressive braking situation. Physically 'warping'
a rotor would require a similar application of extreme heat,
which is impossible."
==================
*The 'Warped' Brake Disc & Other Myths of the Braking System*

<https://centricparts.com/getmedia/bd69395a-b65c-481d-93f7-b26b1bd0638d/Centric_and_APC_Technical_Whitepaper_B1-Warped-Brake-Disc-8-2018_1.pdf>

<https://www.ipdusa.com/Articles/528/The-Warped-Brake-Disc-and-Other-Myths-of-the-Braking-System>
"In more than 40 years of professional racing, including the
Shelby/Ford GT 40s - one of the most intense brake development
programs in history - I have never seen a warped brake disc."
==================

<https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/brake-rotors-dont-warp-the-earth-is-not-flat/>
"By declaring a customer's brake pedal pulsation complaint is caused
by warped rotors is like saying the earth is flat. Both are cases where
the observation of the person is based on a tiny piece of evidence
that is false in nature and application."
==================
<https://www.crossdrilledrotors.ca/blog/part-one-rotors-dont-warp>
"Brake rotors do not warp from heat, even when driven by the
most aggressive traffic officer."
==================
*The Mystery of Warped Brake Rotors*

<https://trade.mechanic.com.au/news/solved-the-mystery-of-warped-brake-rotors>
"Contrary to popular belief, brake rotors, and especially brake rotors
supplied by a reputable manufacturer such as DBA don't warp, no matter
how aggressively a vehicle is driven. Yet, as we know, brake pedal
pulsation caused by out-of-true brake rotors is a fairly common problem
that is almost invariably attributed to warped rotors, which is almost
invariably confirmed by excessive amounts of rotor run out that is easy
to "prove" with a dial gauge."
==================
*Why Do Brake Rotors Warp?*
<https://www.buybrakes.com/help/why-do-brake-rotors-warp/>
"The thing is, rotors don't actually permanently warp. It may feel that
way when braking, but what really happens is that they become irregular
due to excessive lateral run out of the rotor face. You can feel through
the brake pedal as little as .002" of run out. This amount of run out is
far smaller than you can see. In other words, rotors always remain true,
but they can wear out irregularly for several reasons."
1. Lug torque
2. Hub rust
3. Hub runout
==================
*Brake Rotors Warp From Heat -- Myth Busted*
<https://www.hansonsubaru.com/service/information/brake-myths.htm>
"there's simply no way that a brake rotor can get hot enough to warp
or deform on an ordinary passenger car."
==================
*Nuts & Bolts: Warped Rotor Myth*
<https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1808-nuts-and-bolts-warped-rotor-myth/>
"It's exceedingly rare to actually warp a rotor. Instead, the cause
of the shudder you feel through the pedal is an uneven buildup
of brake pad material on the rotor itself. As little as 0.0004 inch
can be felt through the pedal & 0.001 inch can be downright annoying"
==================
**Everything You Need to Know About High-Tech Rotors**
<https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/understanding-disc-brake-rotors/>
"The most persistent myth about rotors is that they warp. It takes a
lot of heat, the kind of heat used in the casting process, to actually
warp a rotor. The two common problems that cause pedal pulsation are
lateral run-out and disc thickness variation. Lateral run-out is
typically caused by run-out from the hub face, wheel bearing, uneven
lug nut torque, or a buildup of rust and corrosion between wheel and hub.
Disc thickness variation is most often caused by excess pad transfer,
the very thin layer of pad material that bonds to the rotor surface,
and uneven wear from an improperly mounted caliper. "
==================
*Warped Brake Rotors - Vibrating Reality or Internet Myth?*

<https://blog.fcpeuro.com/warped-brake-rotors-vibrating-reality-or-internet-myth>
"Traditionally, this was blamed on warped rotors, and the prescription
was to either get the rotors machined or to replace the rotors.
Technically this wasn't wrong, but it's not completely right either.
To understand what is going on, lets examine how the brake pads
and rotors interact. It's not as simple as it seems on the surface,
and relies on complex interaction between friction materials.
Technically yes, the rotor is warped because the buildup of pad deposits
is a few thousandths of an inch thick. To restore proper smooth braking
performance, the uneven deposits need to be removed, and a fresh uniform
layer of friction material needs to be laid down."
==================
*Stop the "Warped" Rotors Myth and Service Brakes the Right Way*
<https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/>
"Myths take hold �because either A) they seem completely logical or
B) they are so often repeated that they just become common knowledge.
The warped rotor myth is a little bit of both. A rotor that
contributed to a pulsation condition certainly appears 'warped.'
Plus, everyone says it - even technicians that know the rotor isn't
really warped will say it as shorthand. Rotors are cast in extreme heat
at three to five times greater than the most aggressive braking
situation. Physically 'warping' a rotor would require a similar
application of extreme heat, which is impossible."
==================
*Six Brake Rotor Myths Debunked*

<https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/05/19/6-biggest-brake-rotor-myths-debunked/>
Brake Rotors Warp - Rotors don't warp.
Back in the 1970s, in what was probably a scene right out of the
movie Dazed and Confused, someone came up with a theory about
brake-rotor "warping," and it totally stuck. Why? Probably because,
in layman's terms, it makes sense.
But then real life happens and this faulty explanation doesn't
hold up to scientific scrutiny.
What is often described as "warping" is actually the presence of
two separate phenomena that can happen in isolation or in combination
with each other, and neither has anything to do with warping.
These phenomena are:
a. Brake torque variation (BTV), and
b. Disc thickness variation (DTV)
==================
*The myth of warped brake discs*

<https://alconkits.com/technical-info/brake-tech/56-the-myth-of-warped-brake-discs>
"Have you ever heard someone say they had warped brake discs?
Typically someone had the discs resurfaced to cure the problem
and after a relatively short time the roughness or vibration came back.
In almost every case, this problem is not caused by a warped discs,
but that the brake pad material transferred unevenly to the surface
of the disc. This uneven deposition results in thickness variation
or run-out due to hot spotting that occurred at elevated temperatures."
<https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/warped-brake-rotors/>
"Calling it brake rotor warp demonstrates a complete misunderstanding
of the metallurgy and the braking process"

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o re: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so complex

By: sms on Sat, 23 Apr 2022

367sms