From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Desparate need of help. Error correction
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:27:51 -0500
 by: jetjock - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 20:27 UTC

On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:19:24 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>by a problem caused by all the https servers using LetsEncrypt certificates.
>>Those are free certificates that even sites like Eternal-September used.
>>LetsEncrypt was part of the "HTTPS (TLS) Everywhere" campaign. It is possible
>>to patch up Windows XP and make it work again. People who have *one* computer,
>>with WinXP on it, if the LetsEncrypt event were to happen today, they'd
>>have to use a public library computer and a USB stick, to escape the shackles.
>>If you have more than one computer, you should be able to repair Windows XP
>>and make the network work (well enough) again.
>>
>>I think you were on the Technician machine and running UpdateGenerator.exe .
>>
>>Once Wsusoffline has acquired a file set (could be 7GB worth), you visit
>>the destination machine and install using the second command.
>>
>>Steps:
>>
>>1) Start your work, on the Technician machine. This is a machine with a
>> working OS, with modern facilities on board. A working certificate store
>> would be part of a Technician machine OS. WinXP is kinda old for maintenance
>> work now.
>>
>> UpdateGenerator.exe # 7GB of downloads
>> # the updates will be stored in the folder the
>> # tools are in.
>>
>>2) Copy the 7GB folder (all of wsusoffline\ ), using a USB stick for carriage.
>> A USB stick allows you to walk a network driver over to the target machine
>> as well. As even if Wsusoffline install step worked, you still would not
>> have a working network.
>>
>> Once at the target machine, using an account with Administrator privilege
>> (the account made when you installed Windows 7). you run
>>
>> client\UpdateInstaller.exe # Only tick the tick boxes needed
>>
>>And after five reboots or so, it might be updated to some
>>degree of completion. Maybe ten or so (some jumbo) updates left.
>>
>>The reason WinXP isn't going to be a good Technician Machine, is the
>>certificate store on WinXP won't receive updates. Some of the OSes
>>check either daily or check weekly, for certificate store changes.
>>
>>Firefox has its own certificate store. However, the wsusoffline uses
>>onboard FOSS tools like "wget.exe" to fetch files, and it might be
>>relying on the OS certificate store and SChannel for services or something.
>>Not too many tools keep private certificate stores.
>>
>>What OS is on the Technician Machine, where you are preparing your
>>wsusoffline folder with the Windows 7 files expected ?
>>
>>You have to "fill up" the wsusoffline folder, before taking it over to the
>>"machine in desperate need of help". And the reason we're doing this,
>>is for the early phases of Wsusoffline, which repairs Windows Update
>>and get it working properly, without the user lifting a finger.
>
>Paul,
>
> Thanks for the detailed instructions. I was not aware that two
>machines were required, I have it running on my desktop (technicians
>machine) now and will then try running the downloaded files on the

By the way, I am not running Win XP if that makes any difference to
you. Also I am getting a LOT of "Certificate Authority.crl Failed"
with "403 Forbidden" during the WSUS download.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Desparate need of help.

By: jetjock on Sun, 18 Sep 2022

19jetjock