Adapt. Enjoy. Survive.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Desparate need of help.

SubjectAuthor
* Desparate need of help.jetjock
`* Re: Desparate need of help.Paul in Houston TX
 `* Re: Desparate need of help.jetjock
  +- Re: Desparate need of help.Zaidy036
  +* Re: Desparate need of help.Paul
  |`* Re: Desparate need of help.jetjock
  | `* Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionjetjock
  |  `* Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionPaul
  |   `* Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionjetjock
  |    `* Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionjetjock
  |     `* Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionjetjock
  |      +- Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionPaul
  |      `* Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionjetjock
  |       `* Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionPaul
  |        `* Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionjetjock
  |         `* Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionPaul
  |          `* Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionjetjock
  |           `* Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionPaul
  |            `- Re: Desparate need of help. Error correctionjetjock
  `- Re: Desparate need of help.Paul

1
Desparate need of help.

<7lueih1l73kp37ni3php5qikejf1pkqovr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4878&group=alt.windows7.general#4878

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Desparate need of help.
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 15:50:07 -0500
 by: jetjock - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 20:50 UTC

I got sick of Win 8.1 on my old Dell Inspiron 15 and put Win 7
Ultimate back on it. After deleting all the GPT partitions down to
one, Windows installed ok. Unfortunately, it is just that; Windows 7!
There is no Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, PCI Simple
Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, Universal Serial Bus
Controller or USB2.0 Controller.

I tried installing WSUS Offline updates, but it said it couldn't
download things. So much for "offline"! I have tried installing
drivers for the various ones missing by pointing the device manager
driver updater at every Intel, x64 and other driver package I have,
but it keeps telling me that it can't find a driver for the item. A
couple times it did say that the driver it found might not work
correctly but I could install it anyway. I choose not to.

I downloaded the Intel Trusted Execution Engine Interface Driver to
my desktop from the Dell Website. Tried to install it on the laptop
and was told that "The procedure entry pointADDDLLDirectory could not
be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

I'm out of ideas. Paul, (or anyone) can you help me out?

Re: Desparate need of help.

<tg813e$noc3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4879&group=alt.windows7.general#4879

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Desparate need of help.
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 16:03:40 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 21:03 UTC

jetjock wrote:
> I got sick of Win 8.1 on my old Dell Inspiron 15 and put Win 7
> Ultimate back on it. After deleting all the GPT partitions down to
> one, Windows installed ok. Unfortunately, it is just that; Windows 7!
> There is no Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, PCI Simple
> Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, Universal Serial Bus
> Controller or USB2.0 Controller.
>
> I tried installing WSUS Offline updates, but it said it couldn't
> download things. So much for "offline"! I have tried installing
> drivers for the various ones missing by pointing the device manager
> driver updater at every Intel, x64 and other driver package I have,
> but it keeps telling me that it can't find a driver for the item. A
> couple times it did say that the driver it found might not work
> correctly but I could install it anyway. I choose not to.
>
> I downloaded the Intel Trusted Execution Engine Interface Driver to
> my desktop from the Dell Website. Tried to install it on the laptop
> and was told that "The procedure entry pointADDDLLDirectory could not
> be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.
>
> I'm out of ideas. Paul, (or anyone) can you help me out?

Did you try the genuine drivers from Dell?
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3555-laptop/drivers

Re: Desparate need of help.

<732fihhbmvauv3jr1t8ju312t2ac2ojefa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4880&group=alt.windows7.general#4880

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 16:10:22 -0500
 by: jetjock - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 21:10 UTC

On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 16:03:40 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
<Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:

>jetjock wrote:
>> I got sick of Win 8.1 on my old Dell Inspiron 15 and put Win 7
>> Ultimate back on it. After deleting all the GPT partitions down to
>> one, Windows installed ok. Unfortunately, it is just that; Windows 7!
>> There is no Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, PCI Simple
>> Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, Universal Serial Bus
>> Controller or USB2.0 Controller.
>>
>> I tried installing WSUS Offline updates, but it said it couldn't
>> download things. So much for "offline"! I have tried installing
>> drivers for the various ones missing by pointing the device manager
>> driver updater at every Intel, x64 and other driver package I have,
>> but it keeps telling me that it can't find a driver for the item. A
>> couple times it did say that the driver it found might not work
>> correctly but I could install it anyway. I choose not to.
>>
>> I downloaded the Intel Trusted Execution Engine Interface Driver to
>> my desktop from the Dell Website. Tried to install it on the laptop
>> and was told that "The procedure entry pointADDDLLDirectory could not
>> be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.
>>
>> I'm out of ideas. Paul, (or anyone) can you help me out?
>
>Did you try the genuine drivers from Dell?
>https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3555-laptop/drivers

Not that page, per se, but every driver I got from them for a 3510 (I
think that's what mine is) is newer than what's on that page. They all
give that same error of not finding the entry point.

Re: Desparate need of help.

<tg85qp$otiv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4881&group=alt.windows7.general#4881

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 18:24:25 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 22:24 UTC

On 9/18/2022 5:10 PM, jetjock wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 16:03:40 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
> <Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:
>
>> jetjock wrote:
>>> I got sick of Win 8.1 on my old Dell Inspiron 15 and put Win 7
>>> Ultimate back on it. After deleting all the GPT partitions down to
>>> one, Windows installed ok. Unfortunately, it is just that; Windows 7!
>>> There is no Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, PCI Simple
>>> Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, Universal Serial Bus
>>> Controller or USB2.0 Controller.
>>>
>>> I tried installing WSUS Offline updates, but it said it couldn't
>>> download things. So much for "offline"! I have tried installing
>>> drivers for the various ones missing by pointing the device manager
>>> driver updater at every Intel, x64 and other driver package I have,
>>> but it keeps telling me that it can't find a driver for the item. A
>>> couple times it did say that the driver it found might not work
>>> correctly but I could install it anyway. I choose not to.
>>>
>>> I downloaded the Intel Trusted Execution Engine Interface Driver to
>>> my desktop from the Dell Website. Tried to install it on the laptop
>>> and was told that "The procedure entry pointADDDLLDirectory could not
>>> be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.
>>>
>>> I'm out of ideas. Paul, (or anyone) can you help me out?
>>
>> Did you try the genuine drivers from Dell?
>> https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3555-laptop/drivers
>
> Not that page, per se, but every driver I got from them for a 3510 (I
> think that's what mine is) is newer than what's on that page. They all
> give that same error of not finding the entry point.

What, no Image to install?

Re: Desparate need of help.

<tg8717$p7h8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4882&group=alt.windows7.general#4882

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 18:44:55 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 22:44 UTC

On 9/18/2022 5:10 PM, jetjock wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 16:03:40 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
> <Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:
>
>> jetjock wrote:
>>> I got sick of Win 8.1 on my old Dell Inspiron 15 and put Win 7
>>> Ultimate back on it. After deleting all the GPT partitions down to
>>> one, Windows installed ok. Unfortunately, it is just that; Windows 7!
>>> There is no Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, PCI Simple
>>> Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, Universal Serial Bus
>>> Controller or USB2.0 Controller.
>>>
>>> I tried installing WSUS Offline updates, but it said it couldn't
>>> download things. So much for "offline"! I have tried installing
>>> drivers for the various ones missing by pointing the device manager
>>> driver updater at every Intel, x64 and other driver package I have,
>>> but it keeps telling me that it can't find a driver for the item. A
>>> couple times it did say that the driver it found might not work
>>> correctly but I could install it anyway. I choose not to.
>>>
>>> I downloaded the Intel Trusted Execution Engine Interface Driver to
>>> my desktop from the Dell Website. Tried to install it on the laptop
>>> and was told that "The procedure entry pointADDDLLDirectory could not
>>> be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.
>>>
>>> I'm out of ideas. Paul, (or anyone) can you help me out?
>>
>> Did you try the genuine drivers from Dell?
>> https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3555-laptop/drivers
>
> Not that page, per se, but every driver I got from them for a 3510 (I
> think that's what mine is) is newer than what's on that page. They all
> give that same error of not finding the entry point.

I would work on getting a network driver to the machine, so that
the rest of the Genuine Drivers can be downloaded directly on the
machine.

Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver Version 7.94.723.2015, A00

You might want to bring over a Firefox installer (or whatever
your favorite non-MSFT browser is), so the Dell website will not
fight you while you work. IE11 or other versions of IE, would
make a poor "bootstrap" browser right now.

There's no chipset driver mentioned on the Dell site.
A PDF for your machine says it's not an Intel, and uses AMD instead.
It's like shopping at KMart or the Dollar store, we have to know
which store we're headed to :-)

System information
Computer model Inspiron 15-3555

Processor
AMD E1-6010 APU with Radeon R2 Graphics
AMD E2-6110 APU with Radeon R2 Graphics
AMD A6-6310 APU with Radeon R4 Graphics
AMD A8-7410 APU with Radeon R5 Graphics
Chipset Integrated in processor [hah!]

You can Google for "A8-7410 chipset driver". Insert actual CPU name.
I just picked one and ran with it.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-6-1-win7

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.6.1 Driver for Windows 7 64-bit

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-22.6.1-win7-64bit-june23-2022.exe

Most of that is the graphics driver (just select the graphics driver part,
the whole gamer package is overkill for most usages and also gathers metrics
about your usage, and the metrics waste disk space). There should be tick
boxes, and you can switch off the sludge.

But there is a chipset driver section. That's useful for tidying the
Device Manager a bit.

And what you're doing, will be hard work. I can't take
the hardness out of the work, unfortunately. You're in for
a driver slog.

I hope you installed from Win7 SP1 media, as that's a start.

And the WSUSOffline is still recommended. A network driver, and
the in-box hard drive storage driver, may be enough to do your
170 updates with your WSUSOffline USB stick. WSUSOffline will
do its best in terms of Windows Update configuration. It does not
try to install MSFT crapware if it can get by without it.

It may be looking for a current wsusscn2.cab file. I don't know
if the signing on that is the best. Which is why WsusOffline has to
install the SHA2 patches first, so the "calculating updates" phase
will actually work. It does not just use a dumb "install everything"
method, it actually computes what is needed, using facilities on
the machine.

That .cab file, tools do not generally like to use it, if it is
more than 24 hours old.

I'm heading out the door, or I'd do more research...

Paul

Re: Desparate need of help.

<tg92lc$110ig$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4885&group=alt.windows7.general#4885

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 02:36:27 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 06:36 UTC

On 9/18/2022 5:10 PM, jetjock wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 16:03:40 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
> <Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:
>
>> jetjock wrote:
>>> I got sick of Win 8.1 on my old Dell Inspiron 15 and put Win 7
>>> Ultimate back on it. After deleting all the GPT partitions down to
>>> one, Windows installed ok. Unfortunately, it is just that; Windows 7!
>>> There is no Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, PCI Simple
>>> Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, Universal Serial Bus
>>> Controller or USB2.0 Controller.
>>>
>>> I tried installing WSUS Offline updates, but it said it couldn't
>>> download things. So much for "offline"! I have tried installing
>>> drivers for the various ones missing by pointing the device manager
>>> driver updater at every Intel, x64 and other driver package I have,
>>> but it keeps telling me that it can't find a driver for the item. A
>>> couple times it did say that the driver it found might not work
>>> correctly but I could install it anyway. I choose not to.
>>>
>>> I downloaded the Intel Trusted Execution Engine Interface Driver to
>>> my desktop from the Dell Website. Tried to install it on the laptop
>>> and was told that "The procedure entry pointADDDLLDirectory could not
>>> be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.
>>>
>>> I'm out of ideas. Paul, (or anyone) can you help me out?
>>
>> Did you try the genuine drivers from Dell?
>> https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3555-laptop/drivers
>
> Not that page, per se, but every driver I got from them for a 3510 (I
> think that's what mine is) is newer than what's on that page. They all
> give that same error of not finding the entry point.

I checked my Wsusoffline.

There are two key files:

UpdateGenerator.exe # Needs network, downloads and collects updates, to be used later by you
# You do this work on your technician machine, and
# before visiting the "desperate" machine with your "catch".

client\UpdateInstaller.exe # Does not need network. Uses the wsusscn2.cab file collected during
# the other step. When IE11 installs, the IE11 window will open and it
# will attempt to contact msn.com for the home page (or whatever). This
# network activity is non-blocking, can be ignored, and IE11 dismissed.
# UpdateInstaller.exe patches up the "desperate" machine which
# received the new Win7 installation.

Mine is still running at the moment (patching a brand new VM), but I do not expect
more surprises until the 162 updates are done. The one I'm using is 11.8 , and perhaps
not the last one to handle Win7 patching. I have several of these, in various
states of repair, and this one was made several years ago.

I don't think Windows Update can call out at the moment, from the VM, because
they make an "adjustment" to wuauserv in the service host. They turn it off
and turn it on again, before their patches start.

There are different Microsoft tool calls, for installing a .cab update versus
a .msu update. And wsusoffline knows all about the details. Unlike the
poor human behind the keyboard, stuck doing these things manually some time.

HTH,
Paul

Re: Desparate need of help.

<dl3hih9c1as5m83n38h9i4v9o5a4ob92me@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4888&group=alt.windows7.general#4888

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 11:17:54 -0500
 by: jetjock - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 16:17 UTC

On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 18:44:55 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 9/18/2022 5:10 PM, jetjock wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 16:03:40 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
>> <Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:

>>> Did you try the genuine drivers from Dell?
>>> https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3555-laptop/drivers
>>
>> Not that page, per se, but every driver I got from them for a 3510 (I
>> think that's what mine is) is newer than what's on that page. They all
>> give that same error of not finding the entry point.

>I would work on getting a network driver to the machine, so that
>the rest of the Genuine Drivers can be downloaded directly on the
>machine.
>
> Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver Version 7.94.723.2015, A00
I was finally able to get the correct network driver for my machine
from the Dell Website and am now running WSUS Offline.

>You might want to bring over a Firefox installer (or whatever
>your favorite non-MSFT browser is), so the Dell website will not
>fight you while you work. IE11 or other versions of IE, would
>make a poor "bootstrap" browser right now.

Will install FF as soon as WSUS is finished

>There's no chipset driver mentioned on the Dell site.
>A PDF for your machine says it's not an Intel, and uses AMD instead.
>It's like shopping at KMart or the Dollar store, we have to know
>which store we're headed to :-)

My computer is a Dell 5558 and it does have an Intel Core I7
processor

> System information
> Computer model Inspiron 15-3555
>
> Processor
> AMD E1-6010 APU with Radeon R2 Graphics
> AMD E2-6110 APU with Radeon R2 Graphics
> AMD A6-6310 APU with Radeon R4 Graphics
> AMD A8-7410 APU with Radeon R5 Graphics
> Chipset Integrated in processor [hah!]
>
> You can Google for "A8-7410 chipset driver". Insert actual CPU name.
> I just picked one and ran with it.
>
> https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-6-1-win7
>
> AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.6.1 Driver for Windows 7 64-bit
>
> https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-22.6.1-win7-64bit-june23-2022.exe
>
> Most of that is the graphics driver (just select the graphics driver part,
> the whole gamer package is overkill for most usages and also gathers metrics
> about your usage, and the metrics waste disk space). There should be tick
> boxes, and you can switch off the sludge.
>
> But there is a chipset driver section. That's useful for tidying the
> Device Manager a bit.
>
>And what you're doing, will be hard work. I can't take
>the hardness out of the work, unfortunately. You're in for
>a driver slog.
>
>I hope you installed from Win7 SP1 media, as that's a start.

Version installed is Win 7 Ultimate x64 with SP 1.

>And the WSUSOffline is still recommended. A network driver, and
>the in-box hard drive storage driver, may be enough to do your
>170 updates with your WSUSOffline USB stick. WSUSOffline will
>do its best in terms of Windows Update configuration. It does not
>try to install MSFT crapware if it can get by without it.
>
>It may be looking for a current wsusscn2.cab file. I don't know
>if the signing on that is the best. Which is why WsusOffline has to
>install the SHA2 patches first, so the "calculating updates" phase
>will actually work. It does not just use a dumb "install everything"
>method, it actually computes what is needed, using facilities on
>the machine.
>
>That .cab file, tools do not generally like to use it, if it is
>more than 24 hours old.
>
>I'm heading out the door, or I'd do more research...

I ran WSUS v1.9 but got a "signature verification failure:

Mon 09/19/2022 10:44:56.30 - Info: Starting WSUS Offline Update
download v. 11.9 for w61-x64 glb
Mon 09/19/2022 10:44:56.33 - Info: Option /includedotnet detected
Mon 09/19/2022 10:44:56.39 - Info: Option /seconly detected
Mon 09/19/2022 10:44:56.45 - Info: Option /verify detected
Mon 09/19/2022 10:44:56.50 - Info: Option /exitonerror detected
Mon 09/19/2022 10:44:56.81 - Info: Set time zone to LOC7:00
Mon 09/19/2022 10:44:57.30 - Info: Preserved custom language and
architecture additions and removals
WARNING: cannot verify download.wsusoffline.net's certificate, issued
by 'CN=R3,O=Let\'s Encrypt,C=US':
Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
2022-09-19 10:44:58
URL:https://download.wsusoffline.net/StaticDownloadFiles-modified.txt
[71/71] -> "../static/StaticDownloadFiles-modified.txt" [1]
WARNING: cannot verify download.wsusoffline.net's certificate, issued
by 'CN=R3,O=Let\'s Encrypt,C=US':
Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
2022-09-19 10:44:59
URL:https://download.wsusoffline.net/ExcludeDownloadFiles-modified.txt
[0/0] -> "../exclude/ExcludeDownloadFiles-modified.txt" [1]
WARNING: cannot verify download.wsusoffline.net's certificate, issued
by 'CN=R3,O=Let\'s Encrypt,C=US':
Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
2022-09-19 10:45:00
URL:https://download.wsusoffline.net/StaticUpdateFiles-modified.txt
[0/0] -> "../client/static/StaticUpdateFiles-modified.txt" [1]
Mon 09/19/2022 10:45:00.40 - Info: Updated static and exclude
definitions for download and update
Mon 09/19/2022 10:45:00.45 - Info: Restored custom language and
architecture additions and removals
Mon 09/19/2022 10:45:02.26 - Info: Downloaded/validated mkisofs tool
Mon 09/19/2022 10:45:03.96 - Info: Downloaded Sysinternals' tools
Autologon, Sigcheck and Streams
Mon 09/19/2022 10:53:35.23 - Info: Downloaded/validated most recent
Windows Update catalog file
Mon 09/19/2022 10:54:37.79 - Warning: Deleted unsigned file
'E:\wsusoffline\client\wsus\wsusscn2.cab'
Mon 09/19/2022 10:54:37.87 - Error: Catalog file
...\client\wsus\wsusscn2.cab signature verification failure

Any suggestions?

> Paul

Re: Desparate need of help. Error correction

<5l5hih50u2an34kr2otkc7bqfener4fi2f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4889&group=alt.windows7.general#4889

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Desparate need of help. Error correction
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 11:20:42 -0500
 by: jetjock - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 16:20 UTC

On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 11:17:54 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>2022-09-19 10:45:00
>URL:https://download.wsusoffline.net/StaticUpdateFiles-modified.txt
>[0/0] -> "../client/static/StaticUpdateFiles-modified.txt" [1]
>Mon 09/19/2022 10:45:00.40 - Info: Updated static and exclude
>definitions for download and update
>Mon 09/19/2022 10:45:00.45 - Info: Restored custom language and
>architecture additions and removals
>Mon 09/19/2022 10:45:02.26 - Info: Downloaded/validated mkisofs tool
>Mon 09/19/2022 10:45:03.96 - Info: Downloaded Sysinternals' tools
>Autologon, Sigcheck and Streams
>Mon 09/19/2022 10:53:35.23 - Info: Downloaded/validated most recent
>Windows Update catalog file
>Mon 09/19/2022 10:54:37.79 - Warning: Deleted unsigned file
>'E:\wsusoffline\client\wsus\wsusscn2.cab'
>Mon 09/19/2022 10:54:37.87 - Error: Catalog file
>..\client\wsus\wsusscn2.cab signature verification failure

Version should have read 11.9--not 1.9

Re: Desparate need of help. Error correction

<tgagdl$17n8v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4893&group=alt.windows7.general#4893

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:37:24 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 19:37 UTC

On 9/19/2022 12:20 PM, jetjock wrote:
> [...]
>> 2022-09-19 10:45:00
>> URL:https://download.wsusoffline.net/StaticUpdateFiles-modified.txt
>> [0/0] -> "../client/static/StaticUpdateFiles-modified.txt" [1]
>> Mon 09/19/2022 10:45:00.40 - Info: Updated static and exclude
>> definitions for download and update
>> Mon 09/19/2022 10:45:00.45 - Info: Restored custom language and
>> architecture additions and removals
>> Mon 09/19/2022 10:45:02.26 - Info: Downloaded/validated mkisofs tool
>> Mon 09/19/2022 10:45:03.96 - Info: Downloaded Sysinternals' tools
>> Autologon, Sigcheck and Streams
>> Mon 09/19/2022 10:53:35.23 - Info: Downloaded/validated most recent
>> Windows Update catalog file
>> Mon 09/19/2022 10:54:37.79 - Warning: Deleted unsigned file
>> 'E:\wsusoffline\client\wsus\wsusscn2.cab'
>> Mon 09/19/2022 10:54:37.87 - Error: Catalog file
>> ..\client\wsus\wsusscn2.cab signature verification failure

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Desparate need of help. Error correction

<sgihih9gnnsmaktb8vigerpb1a3p24pjhv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4894&group=alt.windows7.general#4894

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:19:24 -0500
 by: jetjock - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 20:19 UTC

<ivjhihpnq9bt9c81hrprrdn9p1t6c2bh9p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4895&group=alt.windows7.general#4895

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:27:51 -0500
 by: jetjock - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 20:27 UTC

<pbkhiht6p8dh05obmglbd7g46u31djf1j8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4896&group=alt.windows7.general#4896

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:32:39 -0500
 by: jetjock - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 20:32 UTC

<tgamhs$1897t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4897&group=alt.windows7.general#4897

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 17:22:04 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 21:22 UTC

On 9/19/2022 4:32 PM, jetjock wrote:

>>> Paul,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the detailed instructions. I was not aware that two
>>> machines were required, I have it running on my desktop (technicians
>>> machine) now and will then try running the downloaded files on the
>>> laptop in question (client machine).
>>>
>>> What boxes would you recommend ticking?

>> By the way, I am not running Win XP if that makes any difference to
>> you. Also I am getting a LOT of "Certificate Authority.crl Failed"
>> with "403 Forbidden" during the WSUS download.

> Downloads are smokin' along now, but since there are over 350 of
> them, I have to call it a day now. Will try running the updates
> tomorrow.

You may have selected both 32 bit and 64 bit updates.
Which is fine. They may both get used some day.

170 updates would be sufficient for one of the two flavors.

There are plenty of tick boxes for options in there.
I try to keep things relatively simple, as the intention
is to "tip Win7 upright" when I do these. I can lard up
on .NET later.

When it tries to do the 170 updates, it will likely
run out of RAM. The message will say "insufficient STORAGE",
but I think it is RAM that is full. A reboot, run it again,
and it will pick up where it left off.

If you control-C it while it is running the installs, wait a second and
see if there is a batch message to "Terminate script ??? Y/n".
If you don't look for that, it may seem hard to stop it.
Typing a "y" should then cause the script to bail out.

The updates come straight from the Microsoft server. The
wsusoffline site is not the source of the 7GB+ of files.
There is also a tick box, to compute the checksum and
check the validity of the updates during installation.
Which slows things down a tiny bit.

Paul

Re: Desparate need of help. Error correction

<h2jjihdfbhgfiqdgc31h5ml03d4ddjrabr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4899&group=alt.windows7.general#4899

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 09:58:20 -0500
References: <7lueih1l73kp37ni3php5qikejf1pkqovr@4ax.com> <tg813e$noc3$1@dont-email.me> <732fihhbmvauv3jr1t8ju312t2ac2ojefa@4ax.com> <tg8717$p7h8$1@dont-email.me> <dl3hih9c1as5m83n38h9i4v9o5a4ob92me@4ax.com> <5l5hih50u2an34kr2otkc7bqfener4fi2f@4ax.com> <tgagdl$17n8v$1@dont-email.me> <sgihih9gnnsmaktb8vigerpb1a3p24pjhv@4ax.com> <ivjhihpnq9bt9c81hrprrdn9p1t6c2bh9p@4ax.com> <pbkhiht6p8dh05obmglbd7g46u31djf1j8@4ax.com>
 by: jetjock - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:58 UTC

<tgcnuf$1hv2j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4900&group=alt.windows7.general#4900

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 11:58:08 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 15:58 UTC

On 9/20/2022 10:58 AM, jetjock wrote:

> I ran the updates (at least I think I did). When I check Windows
> Update, it only shows 7 updates installed; 4 Security Updates and 3
> Windows Updates. What happened to the 50 other updates that WSUS said
> it installed? The log file only shows what WSUS downloaded, not what
> it installed.
>
> Computer appears to running fine and is allowing me to install
> drivers from Dell, so no complaints so far. Just curiosity.
>
> One more kind of big question for Paul: I have Windows set to start
> without a password, and one user, so it should boot directly into
> Windows without clicking anything. When WSUS was running, it created a
> new user; WouTempAdmin. This required me to have to click on the user
> icon every time the computer rebooted, which pretty much negated
> unattended installing of updates. I tried clicking the WouTempAdmin
> user but it required a password which I didn't have. Is there a way
> around this if I ever have to do this again?
>
> Thank you very much for being here, and all the help you give so
> freely!!

This sounds like you were using the unattended option, which
reboots the computer automatically at the end of each phase.

I run the install manually, and reboot myself at the end of
each phase. The notion of a script, automatically rebooting
stuff, well, that scares me.

Part of the reason for doing this, is the script code for doing
the reboots, seems to use some "counter scheme", and it can on
occasion, sit in a loop. I don't think it measures "do I have work
to do" in a sense. Part of the unuattended option intended to
reduce IT eyeball time, is likely the creation of the account WouTempAdmin .

In Control Panels, should be a User Accounts icon. And in there
may be a "Manage Another Account".

You would ideally enter that control panel, using an account
which belongs to the Administrator Group. Otherwise, you may not
be shown information about another account. Your JetJock account
runs as an ordinary user, except when UAC grants elevated administrator
group capability. It is an Administrator Group account. The User
Accounts dialog should display info of that nature, when you're
there.

One account in there, at a minimum, must belong to the Administrator
group. The Administrator account certainly does, but running the
computer as Administrator, means you're permanently elevated,
and have to use DropMyRights to run stuff unelevated. Hardly convenient.
Whereas UAC allows running as "JetJock", and when a process
needs Administrator, you click the button and you are elevated.

You cannot administer the system, unless you can "be an Administrator"
or "elevate to Administrator via UAC". You do not want to wipe
your last Administrator group account, when working within
User Accounts.

OK, so now, if you can see WouTempAdmin in there, you can remove it.
The menu at start, should then have one fewer users to deal with.

The command "netplwiz" in an Administrator command prompt
window, has a tick box for hiding the login details and
logs in for you at boot. Enter the password when the dialog
from that, shows you the password entry lines. So when you
are rebooting the machine, and are only being prompted
for the JetJock password, at that point, you can invoke
"netplwiz" and finish the job.

Win10 removes the "netplwiz" tick box, but there is a way
to put it back. Win7 should still leave it enabled, that
tick box.

One of the reasons for using "netplwiz", when I tested
wsusoffline in the Win7 VM, was precisely to reduce
cycle time doing the wsusoffline phases (manually) :-)
So I have some fairly recent experience using that. In the VM.

I have to re-pave that VM, every once in a while, so doing
the work in the VM, prepares the VM for my next usage of it.

Paul

Re: Desparate need of help. Error correction

<nn2kihdtp3u898efask7u37bnhgbqvk56h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4901&group=alt.windows7.general#4901

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 13:57:35 -0500
References: <tg813e$noc3$1@dont-email.me> <732fihhbmvauv3jr1t8ju312t2ac2ojefa@4ax.com> <tg8717$p7h8$1@dont-email.me> <dl3hih9c1as5m83n38h9i4v9o5a4ob92me@4ax.com> <5l5hih50u2an34kr2otkc7bqfener4fi2f@4ax.com> <tgagdl$17n8v$1@dont-email.me> <sgihih9gnnsmaktb8vigerpb1a3p24pjhv@4ax.com> <ivjhihpnq9bt9c81hrprrdn9p1t6c2bh9p@4ax.com> <pbkhiht6p8dh05obmglbd7g46u31djf1j8@4ax.com> <h2jjihdfbhgfiqdgc31h5ml03d4ddjrabr@4ax.com> <tgcnuf$1hv2j$1@dont-email.me>
 by: jetjock - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 18:57 UTC

On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 11:58:08 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
>
>The command "netplwiz" in an Administrator command prompt
>window, has a tick box for hiding the login details and
>logs in for you at boot. Enter the password when the dialog
>from that, shows you the password entry lines. So when you
>are rebooting the machine, and are only being prompted
>for the JetJock password, at that point, you can invoke
>"netplwiz" and finish the job.
>
>Win10 removes the "netplwiz" tick box, but there is a way
>to put it back. Win7 should still leave it enabled, that
>tick box.
>
>One of the reasons for using "netplwiz", when I tested
>wsusoffline in the Win7 VM, was precisely to reduce
>cycle time doing the wsusoffline phases (manually) :-)
>So I have some fairly recent experience using that. In the VM.
>
>I have to re-pave that VM, every once in a while, so doing
>the work in the VM, prepares the VM for my next usage of it.

Yes, I had the unattended option checked as I had to run it while
eating dinner. Thought it would save some time. Wrong again! :-)

As I said, everything appears to be working fine and I got all the
drivers installed except for USB2.0-CRW. When I tried to install that
one it failed because I didn't have SP1! Turns out I grabbed the wrong
CD to install Win 7 Ultimate. I have no idea why I still have one
without SP1 slip-streamed. I think that is most likely why I had so
much trouble with everything because of lack of updates. I'm in the
process of installing SP1 right now, so after I get it installed I can
start installing programs.

Any explanation as to why WSUS only installed 7 updates out of the 58
it said it was downloading and then showing a successful install for
all but 8 of them?

Re: Desparate need of help. Error correction

<tgdc7g$1jre4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4903&group=alt.windows7.general#4903

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 17:44:18 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 21:44 UTC

On 9/20/2022 2:57 PM, jetjock wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Paul
>
> Yes, I had the unattended option checked as I had to run it while
> eating dinner. Thought it would save some time. Wrong again! :-)
>
> As I said, everything appears to be working fine and I got all the
> drivers installed except for USB2.0-CRW. When I tried to install that
> one it failed because I didn't have SP1! Turns out I grabbed the wrong
> CD to install Win 7 Ultimate. I have no idea why I still have one
> without SP1 slip-streamed. I think that is most likely why I had so
> much trouble with everything because of lack of updates. I'm in the
> process of installing SP1 right now, so after I get it installed I can
> start installing programs.
>
> Any explanation as to why WSUS only installed 7 updates out of the 58
> it said it was downloading and then showing a successful install for

Did you have wsusoffline install SP1 ?

You can do that.

The vast majority of updates have SP1 as a prerequisite.

Servicing Stack Updates, gate the acceptance of some of them,
and the update calculation figures out when stuff like that is
needed.

I would think there would be 170 updates after that,
delivered over a series of reboots. You keep running
the client\ tool, until it says it's all done.

The first phases of the install, include Windows Update
files, Certificate files,IE11, then eventually it gets to the
phase where it says it is "calculating updates". That's
the point at which is tries to install 162-170 or so security updates.

If you started using wsusoffline, without the SP1 items included,
then you'd need to include SP1 if you are toying with media which
lacks SP1. I assumed you would be starting with SP1 media.

Paul

Re: Desparate need of help. Error correction

<3p7mihlqib3f86rud532acpv5ved0u220f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4911&group=alt.windows7.general#4911

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 09:31:35 -0500
References: <tg8717$p7h8$1@dont-email.me> <dl3hih9c1as5m83n38h9i4v9o5a4ob92me@4ax.com> <5l5hih50u2an34kr2otkc7bqfener4fi2f@4ax.com> <tgagdl$17n8v$1@dont-email.me> <sgihih9gnnsmaktb8vigerpb1a3p24pjhv@4ax.com> <ivjhihpnq9bt9c81hrprrdn9p1t6c2bh9p@4ax.com> <pbkhiht6p8dh05obmglbd7g46u31djf1j8@4ax.com> <h2jjihdfbhgfiqdgc31h5ml03d4ddjrabr@4ax.com> <tgcnuf$1hv2j$1@dont-email.me> <nn2kihdtp3u898efask7u37bnhgbqvk56h@4ax.com> <tgdc7g$1jre4$1@dont-email.me>
 by: jetjock - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:31 UTC

On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 17:44:18 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> Yes, I had the unattended option checked as I had to run it while
>> eating dinner. Thought it would save some time. Wrong again! :-)
>>
>> As I said, everything appears to be working fine and I got all the
>> drivers installed except for USB2.0-CRW. When I tried to install that
>> one it failed because I didn't have SP1! Turns out I grabbed the wrong
>> CD to install Win 7 Ultimate. I have no idea why I still have one
>> without SP1 slip-streamed. I think that is most likely why I had so
>> much trouble with everything because of lack of updates. I'm in the
>> process of installing SP1 right now, so after I get it installed I can
>> start installing programs.
>>
>> Any explanation as to why WSUS only installed 7 updates out of the 58
>> it said it was downloading and then showing a successful install for

I ticked the box to include Service Packs, but it apparently didn't
do it. I manually installed SP1 yesterday and it is shown as installed
now.

>The vast majority of updates have SP1 as a prerequisite.
>
>Servicing Stack Updates, gate the acceptance of some of them,
>and the update calculation figures out when stuff like that is
>needed.
>
>I would think there would be 170 updates after that,
>delivered over a series of reboots. You keep running
>the client\ tool, until it says it's all done.
>
>The first phases of the install, include Windows Update
>files, Certificate files,IE11, then eventually it gets to the
>phase where it says it is "calculating updates". That's
>the point at which is tries to install 162-170 or so security updates.
>
>If you started using wsusoffline, without the SP1 items included,
>then you'd need to include SP1 if you are toying with media which
>lacks SP1. I assumed you would be starting with SP1 media.

I have gotten rid of all the yellow !s in Device manager, and
everything is apparently working. Would you recommend running
WSUSoffline again now that SP1 is installed?

> Paul

Re: Desparate need of help. Error correction

<tgfi8d$1sav8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4912&group=alt.windows7.general#4912

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:39:26 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:39 UTC

On 9/21/2022 10:31 AM, jetjock wrote:

> I have gotten rid of all the yellow !s in Device manager, and
> everything is apparently working. Would you recommend running
> WSUSoffline again now that SP1 is installed?

Yes. You need at least the SHA2 signing patch, so you
can run Windows Update and pick up the modern patches.

Many of the patches, will be gated (prevented), by your lack
of SP1. Now that SP1 is present, those can steam ahead, if you
run Wsusoffline yet again.

Wsusoffline could be used for regular maintenance for
a machine that does not regularly see the Internet. It's
designed to be run again and again, as long as the collector
side of the folder acquires new material to be added. When an
OS goes out of support, there might be occasional security
updates, but not many.

Whether you do some with Wsusoffline and some with Windows Update,
or do all with Windows Update, it's the same thing. It's all part
of patching the OS up to date.

Wsusoffline tries to not add things other than the bare security
materials. Wsusoffline should not install updates that put
a banner across the screen and declare "end of life".

If you want to partake of apl-* , then the regular Windows Update
will see to it, that you get those. api-*... dll files
are redirector DLLs which provide a mapping for modern applications.
For example, Firefox includes a set of those, to compensate for
OSes that don't have the required ones. api-*... dll files add no
value, in the sense that there is no useful code in them, they
just provide a name-matching service to map names of subroutines.

Yes, run it again, and it's likely a hundred more will install.

Paul

Re: Desparate need of help. Error correction

<04omih9gp21otn83j6mbreenn569k1okdl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4914&group=alt.windows7.general#4914

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:16:12 -0500
References: <5l5hih50u2an34kr2otkc7bqfener4fi2f@4ax.com> <tgagdl$17n8v$1@dont-email.me> <sgihih9gnnsmaktb8vigerpb1a3p24pjhv@4ax.com> <ivjhihpnq9bt9c81hrprrdn9p1t6c2bh9p@4ax.com> <pbkhiht6p8dh05obmglbd7g46u31djf1j8@4ax.com> <h2jjihdfbhgfiqdgc31h5ml03d4ddjrabr@4ax.com> <tgcnuf$1hv2j$1@dont-email.me> <nn2kihdtp3u898efask7u37bnhgbqvk56h@4ax.com> <tgdc7g$1jre4$1@dont-email.me> <3p7mihlqib3f86rud532acpv5ved0u220f@4ax.com> <tgfi8d$1sav8$1@dont-email.me>
 by: jetjock - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 19:16 UTC

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:39:26 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 9/21/2022 10:31 AM, jetjock wrote:
>
>> I have gotten rid of all the yellow !s in Device manager, and
>> everything is apparently working. Would you recommend running
>> WSUSoffline again now that SP1 is installed?
>
>Yes. You need at least the SHA2 signing patch, so you
>can run Windows Update and pick up the modern patches.
>
>Many of the patches, will be gated (prevented), by your lack
>of SP1. Now that SP1 is present, those can steam ahead, if you
>run Wsusoffline yet again.
>
>Wsusoffline could be used for regular maintenance for
>a machine that does not regularly see the Internet. It's
>designed to be run again and again, as long as the collector
>side of the folder acquires new material to be added. When an
>OS goes out of support, there might be occasional security
>updates, but not many.
>
>Whether you do some with Wsusoffline and some with Windows Update,
>or do all with Windows Update, it's the same thing. It's all part
>of patching the OS up to date.
>
>Wsusoffline tries to not add things other than the bare security
>materials. Wsusoffline should not install updates that put
>a banner across the screen and declare "end of life".
>
>If you want to partake of apl-* , then the regular Windows Update
>will see to it, that you get those. api-*... dll files
>are redirector DLLs which provide a mapping for modern applications.
>For example, Firefox includes a set of those, to compensate for
>OSes that don't have the required ones. api-*... dll files add no
>value, in the sense that there is no useful code in them, they
>just provide a name-matching service to map names of subroutines.
>
>Yes, run it again, and it's likely a hundred more will install.
>
> Paul

Back to square 1!! Everything was working ok, but after installing
Acronis, I tried booting into safe mode. Unfortunately, I checked
"Safe mode" in boot options for msconfig. Boot hung loading drivers
nothing I did could get it to boot to the OS. After re-setting BIOS
back to default, machine told me it couldn't find an OS. So now I'm
re-installing Win7 with the right DVD and will run WSUSoffline
correctly this time. What a mess!! As many time as I've had to install
Win7, I have never had this much trouble. Usually it was install,
update, add drivers and done. Guess that's what happens when one has
to use third party software that one doesn't understand to update.

Install is done. Time to get to work.