Be careful how you get yourself involved with persons or situations that can't bear inspection.

interests / alt.home.repair / Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repair

SubjectAuthor
* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairRonTheGuy
`* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairMarilyn Manson
 +* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairtrader_4
 |`* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairRonTheGuy
 | +* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairMarilyn Manson
 | |`* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairRonTheGuy
 | | +- Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairMarilyn Manson
 | | `- Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairDean Hoffman
 | `* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairtrader_4
 |  `* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairRonTheGuy
 |   `* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairtrader_4
 |    `* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairRonTheGuy
 |     +* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairMarilyn Manson
 |     |`* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairtrader_4
 |     | `* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairMarilyn Manson
 |     |  `* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairRonTheGuy
 |     |   +- Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairtrader_4
 |     |   `* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairMarilyn Manson
 |     |    `* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairRonTheGuy
 |     |     +* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairMarilyn Manson
 |     |     |`* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairRonTheGuy
 |     |     | +- Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairMarilyn Manson
 |     |     | `- Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairHiram T Schwantz
 |     |     `- Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairtrader_4
 |     `* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairtrader_4
 |      `- Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairHiram T Schwantz
 `* Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairRonTheGuy
  +- Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairMarilyn Manson
  `- Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repairtrader_4

Pages:12
Re: Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repair

<d143bd6c-a31a-441f-b980-3fc517149f09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25104&group=alt.home.repair#25104

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 06:22:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repair
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Wed, 25 May 2022 13:22 UTC

On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 5:08:37 AM UTC-4, RonTheGuy wrote:
> Marilyn Manson wrote:
>
> > The supply houses have fittings and options that a home center
> > won't, so explaining what you want to do may open possibilities
> > that you hadn't considered.
> I cut out most of the bad steel pipe today but had to stop because I didn't
> know there was a long 1-1/2 inch steel vent pipe going up, presumably
> through the roof (although it's not apparently attached to the roof vent).

No idea what that means. It's not attacked to what roof vent? Normally
they just go through the roof and don't attack to anything.

> The 1-1/2 inch steel vertical vent pipe weighs a ton. And it's something
> like 20 feet long (or whatever).
>
> How is a 20 foot long vertical 1-1.2 inch steel vent pipe removed?
> https://8upload.com/image/628df14a830cd/file16.jpg
> Ron, the humblest guy in town.

If it's just a vent pipe, not carrying water, and looks OK, just leave it there and
Fernco to it. It's unlikely to be significantly deteriorated like the active waste lines.

Re: Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repair

<17s7dhp8051f9.dlg@news.solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25201&group=alt.home.repair#25201

From: ron...@null.invalid (RonTheGuy)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 08:47:53 -0800
References: <1gyanx6c8ftus.dlg@news.solani.org> <a70c167a-a664-4ecd-bc82-d189aa94a680n@googlegroups.com> <4a8ad91e-6d9f-4f4c-b778-f9f9d6355b05n@googlegroups.com> <1hw3kziqha00a$.dlg@news.solani.org> <47795c3b-85cc-4c4f-ad1d-674c0841abe5n@googlegroups.com> <1hnzuoeu6t85.dlg@news.solani.org> <a3bd88eb-94f0-49e9-985c-fb0d17c531d5n@googlegroups.com> <1e7zgp3nrv0xl$.dlg@news.solani.org> <3232b221-def8-4545-ba8d-cde9ca61d5c0n@googlegroups.com> <f5ffb2e9-502c-4344-9bfb-8ffec17be99bn@googlegroups.com> <2234e520-fac8-4e1f-8f5d-a2fe5b2ddf1cn@googlegroups.com> <69hlr48yvxn5.dlg@news.solani.org> <5836843e-2264-40e0-99cc-61c3080ccd09n@googlegroups.com> <14q4a16huj6w6$.dlg@news.solani.org> <209f4ba5-ee56-4d16-b2cb-6347c0f5c56en@googlegroups.com>
 by: RonTheGuy - Thu, 26 May 2022 16:47 UTC

Marilyn Manson wrote:

> "Presumably through the roof" and "although it's not apparently attached
> to the roof vent"

Thank you for all your kind volunteer knowledgeable help answering my
questions as I had never done a DWV repair before and as a result I learned
a lot! https://8upload.com/image/628fa882e92a3/file17.jpg

I resolved all the issues (almost) so now I know a lot more than I did when
I first opened this thread, thanks to your advice (and to doing it myself).
https://8upload.com/image/628fa883238c0/file18.jpg

The great thing about DIY is I learned things like how vents work, and how
pipes are joined & supported and what's their slope and what's that stuff
sticking out of the roof and how they don't build houses like they used to.
https://8upload.com/image/628fa883535a9/file19.jpg

Each of those cuts in the steel pipe cost me a saw blade, the thick
galvanized steel is that hard on the Sawzall tool. That schedule 40 ABS
plastic, in comparison, cuts like a hot knife through butter. (Home Depot
by me doesn't sell anything other than Schedule 40 DWV apparently.)
https://8upload.com/image/628fa8837f1f9/file20.jpg

> IOW, you don't know where it goes and you don't know what it's for.

I looked up venting and now know the basics of why every house has multiple
vents sticking out of the roofline (not near windows, chimneys, or peaks!).
https://8upload.com/image/628fa883acfc6/file21.jpg

> Keep in mind that we are not on site, nor do we know exactly what you have
> done so far. Therefore my first question is this:

That's why I supplied the score of photos, but as you know, the photos only
tell part of the story but they do tell an important part of the situation.
https://8upload.com/image/628fa883e3fce/file22.jpg

> Did you cut the bottom of that pipe or did you find in it's present condition,
> just hanging there with the bottom not attached to anything?

I had to cut it off. Here is a picture of what I had to cut out.
https://8upload.com/image/628fa8844c8f3/file23.jpg

> If it's not attached to anything and you don't know what it's for, why do you
> feel that you need to remove it?

I learned a lot about venting by calling the code compliance officer in
that town who said that we can use venting under a cabinet or in the wall
if it has a vent box. I went to every Home Depot in town but none of them
had a vent box (you can't just vent into the wall!).
https://www.grainger.com/product/STUDOR-Mini-Recess-Box-1-1-2-in-2-52XF19

I could have replaced the heavy steel 1-1/2 inch pipe but I took the chance
that it wouldn't "crush" the ABS Y below it (and I will come back and
secure it with straps or some other kind of pipe clamp to support it).
https://8upload.com/image/628fa884a2efc/file24.jpg

> Second question: Have you looked on the roof to see if it comes out? There
> could be more than one vent.

Yes. You are correct. That is a helpful question. It came out the roof.
You can see it here in the far corner of the attic sticking straight up.
https://8upload.com/image/628fa883acfc6/file21.jpg

Turns out I could have just pulled it up out of the roof had I known that
it just comes out once you cut it off at the bottom. Sigh. Lesson learned.

> Another option is to call a plumber and have them scope the pipe to see where
> it goes. (I've got videos of my main drain, down through the roof vent and all the
> way out to the street.)

Remember I called a "plumber" initially who just told me that they'd
replace everything. Given this "replace everything" happened to me a few
years ago on a different type of repair that turned out to have _nothing_
to do with what they said needed to be replaced, I "think" what they do as
their daily scam is they send some kid who is _not_ a plumber whose only
job is to talk you into a complete replumbing job.

At least that's what the "plumber" did who I called (who was recommended to
me as I don't use any professionals to fix my own home and never have).

Thank you for all your help. The job is mostly done (I cracked the final
pipe screwing it on too tightly so I have to replace that which wasn't
previously broken but the owner said she'd pay me for the parts so I'll go
there today and fix that final pipe which was just the J pipe that goes to
the washing machine drain so it's not a critical component of the repair).

I love that you are a "friend" I can rely on to ask questions, where you
can ask me anything about it if you like so that I can pay you back.

I still have to go back one more time to patch the holes in the wall, and
to fix the cracked washing machine drain pipe I cracked, and to add
supports every 4 feet (the slope is already perfect but the code changed).

I didn't replace all the 2 inch steel pipe or even much of the 1 inch steel
pipe not only because the 2 inch steel and 1-1/2 inch steel was actually in
great shape and they will last another century at this rate, but also
because there was zero chance I would be able to unscrew any of them even
with my large pipe wrenches.

That's one thing I've learned which is that there's no hope to unscrew
anything that size in a crawl space (maybe 1 inch plumbing will unscrew but
not 2 inch pipes that have been there for 75 years or so).

By way of comparison, the ABS (even schedule 40 ABS) is junk in terms of
strength. But it was easier to connect compared to PVC since it's a
one-part black glue that works so nicely that it's no problem at all.

Thank you for all your help. I am greatly appreciative.
I hope I can pay you back in turn for your advice.

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Re: Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repair

<be67bced-481c-458c-8711-6d5f29e2c90an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25207&group=alt.home.repair#25207

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 11:53:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Thu, 26 May 2022 18:53 UTC

On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 12:47:38 PM UTC-4, RonTheGuy wrote:
> [...]
>
> I didn't replace all the 2 inch steel pipe or even much of the 1 inch steel
> pipe not only because the 2 inch steel and 1-1/2 inch steel was actually in
> great shape and they will last another century at this rate, but also
> because there was zero chance I would be able to unscrew any of them even
> with my large pipe wrenches.
>
> That's one thing I've learned which is that there's no hope to unscrew
> anything that size in a crawl space (maybe 1 inch plumbing will unscrew but
> not 2 inch pipes that have been there for 75 years or so).
>
> By way of comparison, the ABS (even schedule 40 ABS) is junk in terms of
> strength. But it was easier to connect compared to PVC since it's a
> one-part black glue that works so nicely that it's no problem at all.
>
> Thank you for all your help. I am greatly appreciative.
> I hope I can pay you back in turn for your advice.

I'm glad you got it all worked out.

P.S. Buy some band aids. ;-)

Re: Need ideas for my first washing machine drain pipe plumbing repair

<zURjK.32615$3Gzd.18449@fx96.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25208&group=alt.home.repair#25208

From: hiramtsc...@gmail.com (Hiram T Schwantz)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
References: <1gyanx6c8ftus.dlg@news.solani.org> <a70c167a-a664-4ecd-bc82-d189aa94a680n@googlegroups.com> <4a8ad91e-6d9f-4f4c-b778-f9f9d6355b05n@googlegroups.com> <1hw3kziqha00a$.dlg@news.solani.org> <47795c3b-85cc-4c4f-ad1d-674c0841abe5n@googlegroups.com> <1hnzuoeu6t85.dlg@news.solani.org> <a3bd88eb-94f0-49e9-985c-fb0d17c531d5n@googlegroups.com> <1e7zgp3nrv0xl$.dlg@news.solani.org> <3232b221-def8-4545-ba8d-cde9ca61d5c0n@googlegroups.com> <f5ffb2e9-502c-4344-9bfb-8ffec17be99bn@googlegroups.com> <2234e520-fac8-4e1f-8f5d-a2fe5b2ddf1cn@googlegroups.com> <69hlr48yvxn5.dlg@news.solani.org> <5836843e-2264-40e0-99cc-61c3080ccd09n@googlegroups.com> <14q4a16huj6w6$.dlg@news.solani.org> <209f4ba5-ee56-4d16-b2cb-6347c0f5c56en@googlegroups.com> <17s7dhp8051f9.dlg@news.solani.org>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 17:01:20 -0400
 by: Hiram T Schwantz - Thu, 26 May 2022 21:01 UTC

On Thu, 26 May 2022 08:47:53 -0800, RonTheGuy posted for all of us to digest...

> [...]
>
> I didn't replace all the 2 inch steel pipe or even much of the 1 inch steel
> pipe not only because the 2 inch steel and 1-1/2 inch steel was actually in
> great shape and they will last another century at this rate, but also
> because there was zero chance I would be able to unscrew any of them even
> with my large pipe wrenches.
>
> That's one thing I've learned which is that there's no hope to unscrew
> anything that size in a crawl space (maybe 1 inch plumbing will unscrew but
> not 2 inch pipes that have been there for 75 years or so).
>
> By way of comparison, the ABS (even schedule 40 ABS) is junk in terms of
> strength. But it was easier to connect compared to PVC since it's a
> one-part black glue that works so nicely that it's no problem at all.
>
> Thank you for all your help. I am greatly appreciative.
> I hope I can pay you back in turn for your advice.

Okay, done with this episode of the Arlen Holder cavalcade, on to the next one!

--
Hiram