Happiness isn't having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Corpses vs Bodies

SubjectAuthor
* Corpses vs BodiesHVS
+* Re: Corpses vs BodiesMadhu
|`- Re: Corpses vs Bodiesbruce bowser
+* Re: Corpses vs BodiesHibou
|`* Re: Corpses vs BodiesKen Blake
| +* Re: Corpses vs BodiesSam Plusnet
| |`* Re: Corpses vs BodiesStefan Ram
| | +- Re: Corpses vs BodiesKerr-Mudd, John
| | +- Re: Corpses vs BodiesQuinn C
| | +- Re: Corpses vs BodiesSam Plusnet
| | `- Re: Corpses vs BodiesCDB
| +- Re: Corpses vs BodiesLewis
| `* Re: Corpses vs BodiesHibou
|  `* Re: Corpses vs BodiesKen Blake
|   `* Re: Corpses vs BodiesMadhu
|    `- Re: Corpses vs BodiesHibou
+* Re: Corpses vs BodiesStefan Ram
|+* Re: Corpses vs BodiesHVS
||+* Re: Corpses vs BodiesStefan Ram
|||`- Re: Corpses vs BodiesQuinn C
||`- Re: Corpses vs BodiesKen Blake
|`- Re: Corpses vs BodiesKen Blake
`* Re: Corpses vs BodiesLewis
 `* Re: Corpses vs BodiesAthel Cornish-Bowden
  +* Re: Corpses vs BodiesSnidely

Pages:1234
Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<42ga7htk60p8ocv967p1pt73b0au59ubpd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129757&group=alt.usage.english#129757

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Corpses vs Bodies
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 08:37:06 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 6 May 2022 15:37 UTC

On Fri, 6 May 2022 08:59:32 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
<acornish@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

>On 2022-05-05 23:18:14 +0000, Lewis said:
>
>> In message <XnsAE8C848E25C0Ewhhvans@144.76.35.252> HVS
>> <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk> wrote:
>>> This may well be an commonplace usage which I've simply not previously
>>> clocked, but I've noticed newspaper reports from Ukraine using
>>> "corpse" where I think I'd opt for "dead body". ("We saw corpses lying
>>> on both sides of the road.")
>>
>> I think corpses is the right word.
>>
>>> There's obviously nothing wrong with "corpse"; it's a perfectly
>>> accurate term. Nonetheless, it strikes me as being more emotive and
>>> gruesome than "body".
>>
>> That is one reason that corpse is the right word.
>>
>>> (Maybe I've watched too many horror movies, where it's definitely the
>>> case that corpses rather than bodies are re- animatead...)
>>
>> Corpse means a dead HUMAN body, exclusively.
>>
>> A dead body is not necessarily human, it would be any animal, from flea
>> on up.
>>
>>> Is this a personal quirk of mine
>>
>> It might just be not knowing the definitions of the two words?
>
>Where does "cadaver" fit into this scheme? It's not a word I use, ever,
>and it's not usual in British English, but I think it does occur in
>American speech.

I don't remember ever hearing it in American speech, but I've often
seen it in novels. But it's almost always in reference to what a post
mortem is being done on.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<cadaver-20220506165617@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129760&group=alt.usage.english#129760

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 6 May 2022 15:56:52 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Fri, 6 May 2022 15:56 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> writes:
[cadaver]
>I don't remember ever hearing it in American speech, but I've often
>seen it in novels. But it's almost always in reference to what a post
>mortem is being done on.

Some hits from my text collection (capitalization as in the source):

From dictionaries/thesauruses/slang or associative dictionaries:

|pse corpse corse carcass cadaver bones skeleton dry bones defunct
|portant derivatives are: cadaver, cadence, cascade, case, chance
|: body, corpse, carcass, cadaver. These nouns denote the physical
|rcass in good condition. Cadaver is a corpse used for dissection
|nder, rotter, dog, rake. CADAVER n. stiff, cold meat, dead meat,
|ies. 1. Examination of a cadaver to determine or confirm the caus
|OFFIN, BOX, .006 COFFIN, CADAVER, .006 COFFIN, CLOSE, .006 COFFIN
|RY, BODY, .007 CEMETERY, CADAVER, .007 CEMETERY, COFFIN, .007 CEM
|KET, CACHE, .008 CASKET, CADAVER, .008 CASKET, FLOWER, .008 CASKE

From fiction:

|istic priests. The stale cadaver blocks up the passage ­ the buri
|w my stark and mutilated cadaver stretched upon a slab where cool
|aint at the sight of the cadaver; sank to the ground in a swoon;

From nonfiction:

|he gracious way to let a cadaver cutter, a tax collector, or a ca

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<udka7hh8dmdk5f3ilsgejva0gb244t1sk7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129768&group=alt.usage.english#129768

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 12:55:36 -0400
 by: Tony Cooper - Fri, 6 May 2022 16:55 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 08:37:06 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 6 May 2022 08:59:32 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
><acornish@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
>
>>On 2022-05-05 23:18:14 +0000, Lewis said:

>>> I think corpses is the right word.

>>> That is one reason that corpse is the right word.

>>> Corpse means a dead HUMAN body, exclusively.
>>>
>>> A dead body is not necessarily human, it would be any animal, from flea
>>> on up.

>>> It might just be not knowing the definitions of the two words?
>>
>>Where does "cadaver" fit into this scheme? It's not a word I use, ever,
>>and it's not usual in British English, but I think it does occur in
>>American speech.
>

>I don't remember ever hearing it in American speech, but I've often
>seen it in novels. But it's almost always in reference to what a post
>mortem is being done on.

Hearing it in speech would be problematical, but if you hung around
police departments you might hear them speak of "cadaver sniffing
dogs".

If you live near the University of Tennessee, you might hear someone
discussing the "Body Farm" at the Forensic Anthropology Center where
cadavers are placed.

If you were around medical students, the subject of cadavers might be
mentioned in conversations. They are not doing post mortems, though.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<qk1gkix137.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129770&group=alt.usage.english#129770

From: a24...@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 18:14:34 +0100
 by: Adam Funk - Fri, 6 May 2022 17:14 UTC

On 2022-05-06, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> On 2022-05-05 23:18:14 +0000, Lewis said:
>
>> In message <XnsAE8C848E25C0Ewhhvans@144.76.35.252> HVS
>> <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk> wrote:
>>> This may well be an commonplace usage which I've simply not previously
>>> clocked, but I've noticed newspaper reports from Ukraine using
>>> "corpse" where I think I'd opt for "dead body". ("We saw corpses lying
>>> on both sides of the road.")
>>
>> I think corpses is the right word.
>>
>>> There's obviously nothing wrong with "corpse"; it's a perfectly
>>> accurate term. Nonetheless, it strikes me as being more emotive and
>>> gruesome than "body".
>>
>> That is one reason that corpse is the right word.
>>
>>> (Maybe I've watched too many horror movies, where it's definitely the
>>> case that corpses rather than bodies are re- animatead...)
>>
>> Corpse means a dead HUMAN body, exclusively.
>>
>> A dead body is not necessarily human, it would be any animal, from flea
>> on up.
>>
>>> Is this a personal quirk of mine
>>
>> It might just be not knowing the definitions of the two words?
>
> Where does "cadaver" fit into this scheme? It's not a word I use, ever,
> and it's not usual in British English, but I think it does occur in
> American speech.

But is it exquisite?

--
And don't forget my dog, fixed and consequent

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<um1gkix137.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129772&group=alt.usage.english#129772

From: a24...@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 18:15:42 +0100
 by: Adam Funk - Fri, 6 May 2022 17:15 UTC

On 2022-05-06, Stefan Ram wrote:

> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> writes:
> [cadaver]
>>I don't remember ever hearing it in American speech, but I've often
>>seen it in novels. But it's almost always in reference to what a post
>>mortem is being done on.
>
> Some hits from my text collection (capitalization as in the source):
>
> From dictionaries/thesauruses/slang or associative dictionaries:
>
>|pse corpse corse carcass cadaver bones skeleton dry bones defunct
>|portant derivatives are: cadaver, cadence, cascade, case, chance
>|: body, corpse, carcass, cadaver. These nouns denote the physical
>|rcass in good condition. Cadaver is a corpse used for dissection
>|nder, rotter, dog, rake. CADAVER n. stiff, cold meat, dead meat,
>|ies. 1. Examination of a cadaver to determine or confirm the caus
>|OFFIN, BOX, .006 COFFIN, CADAVER, .006 COFFIN, CLOSE, .006 COFFIN
>|RY, BODY, .007 CEMETERY, CADAVER, .007 CEMETERY, COFFIN, .007 CEM
>|KET, CACHE, .008 CASKET, CADAVER, .008 CASKET, FLOWER, .008 CASKE

I see you're doing a keyword in context search, but what in the world
are the last three matches above from, a funerary catalogue?

> From fiction:
>
>|istic priests. The stale cadaver blocks up the passage ­ the buri
>|w my stark and mutilated cadaver stretched upon a slab where cool
>|aint at the sight of the cadaver; sank to the ground in a swoon;
>
> From nonfiction:
>
>|he gracious way to let a cadaver cutter, a tax collector, or a ca

--
It's a tasty world.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<KWIC-20220506184742@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129775&group=alt.usage.english#129775

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 6 May 2022 17:50:08 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Fri, 6 May 2022 17:50 UTC

Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> writes:
>On 2022-05-06, Stefan Ram wrote:
>>|OFFIN, BOX, .006 COFFIN, CADAVER, .006 COFFIN, CLOSE, .006 COFFIN
>>|RY, BODY, .007 CEMETERY, CADAVER, .007 CEMETERY, COFFIN, .007 CEM
>>|KET, CACHE, .008 CASKET, CADAVER, .008 CASKET, FLOWER, .008 CASKE
>I see you're doing a keyword in context search, but what in the world
>are the last three matches above from, a funerary catalogue?

From a "Free Association" dictionary. In my quotation,
clarity was somewhat lost because several different lines
were merged into a single line. Actually those three lines are:

|CASKET, CADAVER, .008
|CEMETERY, CADAVER, .007
|COFFIN, CADAVER, .006

. Should add that I usually get more hits for most words in
fiction and nonfiction, so the small number of hits shows
that the word "cadaver" is rarely used in fiction and
nonfiction overall.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<ucpa7ht11arjqklliscpv2aptvdlnotr6g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129776&group=alt.usage.english#129776

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 14:17:20 -0400
 by: Tony Cooper - Fri, 6 May 2022 18:17 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 12:55:36 -0400, Tony Cooper
<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 May 2022 08:37:06 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 6 May 2022 08:59:32 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
>><acornish@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

>>>Where does "cadaver" fit into this scheme? It's not a word I use, ever,
>>>and it's not usual in British English, but I think it does occur in
>>>American speech.
>>

>>I don't remember ever hearing it in American speech, but I've often
>>seen it in novels. But it's almost always in reference to what a post
>>mortem is being done on.
>
>Hearing it in speech would be problematical, but if you hung around
>police departments you might hear them speak of "cadaver sniffing
>dogs".
>
>If you live near the University of Tennessee, you might hear someone
>discussing the "Body Farm" at the Forensic Anthropology Center where
>cadavers are placed.
>
>If you were around medical students, the subject of cadavers might be
>mentioned in conversations. They are not doing post mortems, though.

Additional thoughts...the difference between a dead body and a cadaver
seems to be how long after death the body is described.

A policeman might find a dead body in a house, but if the deceased
died a few months ago and was discovered in the woods, the body would
be a cadaver.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<57qa7hlvk3cnuh86hv0l2ea06cikoasfbo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129777&group=alt.usage.english#129777

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 11:29:23 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 6 May 2022 18:29 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 12:55:36 -0400, Tony Cooper
<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 May 2022 08:37:06 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 6 May 2022 08:59:32 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
>><acornish@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

>>>Where does "cadaver" fit into this scheme? It's not a word I use, ever,
>>>and it's not usual in British English, but I think it does occur in
>>>American speech.
>>

>>I don't remember ever hearing it in American speech, but I've often
>>seen it in novels. But it's almost always in reference to what a post
>>mortem is being done on.
>
>Hearing it in speech would be problematical, but if you hung around
>police departments you might hear them speak of "cadaver sniffing
>dogs".
>
>If you live near the University of Tennessee, you might hear someone
>discussing the "Body Farm" at the Forensic Anthropology Center where
>cadavers are placed.
>
>If you were around medical students, the subject of cadavers might be
>mentioned in conversations. They are not doing post mortems, though.

Yes, I forgot about medical schools.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<mn.32b47e65d1fb425a.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129778&group=alt.usage.english#129778

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 11:32:17 -0700
 by: Snidely - Fri, 6 May 2022 18:32 UTC

Friday, Stefan Ram observed:

> . Should add that I usually get more hits for most words in
> fiction and nonfiction, so the small number of hits shows
> that the word "cadaver" is rarely used in fiction and
> nonfiction overall.

What's left when fiction and nonfiction have been removed?

Also, "Should I add" is a question formm and I'd expect a question
mark where you have a comma. Or I'd expect "I should add" to start the
question. As it stands, this form of inversion would be incorrect in
English (I'm not worried about confusing HK here).

/dps

--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<nfra7hd2f8jqsequaskajblcaici2nej64@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129785&group=alt.usage.english#129785

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 15:08:36 -0400
 by: Tony Cooper - Fri, 6 May 2022 19:08 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 11:29:23 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 06 May 2022 12:55:36 -0400, Tony Cooper
><tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 06 May 2022 08:37:06 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>>wrote:

>>>I don't remember ever hearing it in American speech, but I've often
>>>seen it in novels. But it's almost always in reference to what a post
>>>mortem is being done on.
>>
>>Hearing it in speech would be problematical, but if you hung around
>>police departments you might hear them speak of "cadaver sniffing
>>dogs".
>>
>>If you live near the University of Tennessee, you might hear someone
>>discussing the "Body Farm" at the Forensic Anthropology Center where
>>cadavers are placed.
>>
>>If you were around medical students, the subject of cadavers might be
>>mentioned in conversations. They are not doing post mortems, though.
>
>Yes, I forgot about medical schools.

When I was in surgical instrument/equipment sales in Indiana, the
Purchasing Agent at Indiana University Medical Center sent me to the
dissection lab to compile a list of instruments they would need for an
expansion they were planning.

A number of medical students were dissecting cadavers. I went through
the room where the cadavers that were to be used for the next batch of
students were kept. They were in compartments in the floor floating
in some solution to preserve them. The compartments were covered with
thick wooden lids that took two people to lift. I assume the wood
absorbed the fumes.

I finished about noon, but went directly home to change clothes and
shower. I felt that smell of the chemicals (something like or
containing formaldehyde) had left with me.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<t53rue$hc6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129788&group=alt.usage.english#129788

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 13:12:12 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Fri, 6 May 2022 19:12 UTC

On 2022-05-06 12:32, Snidely wrote:
> Friday, Stefan Ram observed:
>
>>   . Should add that I usually get more hits for most words in
>>   fiction and nonfiction, so the small number of hits shows
>>   that the word "cadaver" is rarely used in fiction and
>>   nonfiction overall.
>
> What's left when fiction and nonfiction have been removed?
>

> Also, "Should I add"  is a question formm and I'd expect a question mark
> where you have a comma.  Or I'd expect "I should add" to start the
> question.  As it stands, this form of inversion would be incorrect in
> English (I'm not worried about confusing HK here).

"I should add" does not start a question.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<aeccc5fc-060a-4719-b653-73a8ae56c1cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129790&group=alt.usage.english#129790

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 12:28:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Fri, 6 May 2022 19:28 UTC

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 2:32:27 PM UTC-4, snide...@gmail.com wrote:
> Friday, Stefan Ram observed:

> > . Should add that I usually get more hits for most words in
> > fiction and nonfiction, so the small number of hits shows
> > that the word "cadaver" is rarely used in fiction and
> > nonfiction overall.
>
> What's left when fiction and nonfiction have been removed?

The Excluded Middle.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<mn.32ee7e6532f414f4.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129791&group=alt.usage.english#129791

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 12:30:05 -0700
 by: Snidely - Fri, 6 May 2022 19:30 UTC

Snidely scribbled something on Friday the 5/6/2022:
> Friday, Stefan Ram observed:
>
>> . Should add that I usually get more hits for most words in
>> fiction and nonfiction, so the small number of hits shows
>> that the word "cadaver" is rarely used in fiction and
>> nonfiction overall.
>
> What's left when fiction and nonfiction have been removed?
>

> Also, "Should I add" is a question formm

mmmmmm
[insert Humming Chorus]

> and I'd expect a question mark
> where you have a comma. Or I'd expect "I should add" to start the question.

Erp .. "to start the sentence", of course, or "to start the statement".

> As it stands, this form of inversion would be incorrect in English (I'm not
> worried about confusing HK here).

/dps

--
"That’s where I end with this kind of conversation: Language is
crucial, and yet not the answer."

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<lyt5iyvjjivl$.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129820&group=alt.usage.english#129820

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 18:36:35 -0400
 by: Quinn C - Fri, 6 May 2022 22:36 UTC

* Snidely:

> Friday, Stefan Ram observed:
>
>> . Should add that I usually get more hits for most words in
>> fiction and nonfiction, so the small number of hits shows
>> that the word "cadaver" is rarely used in fiction and
>> nonfiction overall.
>
> What's left when fiction and nonfiction have been removed?

Diaries, letters, news?

At least I'm not usually thinking of news when I hear "nonfiction", but
primarily of "literary nonfiction", i.e. books and essayistic articles.

--
CW: Historical misogyny
Jbzna vf n cnve bs binevrf jvgu n uhzna orvat nggnpurq, jurernf

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<ahxqn0df9y74.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129822&group=alt.usage.english#129822

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 18:43:01 -0400
 by: Quinn C - Fri, 6 May 2022 22:43 UTC

* Stefan Ram:

> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> writes:
> [cadaver]
>>I don't remember ever hearing it in American speech, but I've often
>>seen it in novels. But it's almost always in reference to what a post
>>mortem is being done on.
>
> Some hits from my text collection (capitalization as in the source):
>
> From dictionaries/thesauruses/slang or associative dictionaries:
>
>|pse corpse corse carcass cadaver bones skeleton dry bones defunct
>|portant derivatives are: cadaver, cadence, cascade, case, chance
>|: body, corpse, carcass, cadaver. These nouns denote the physical
>|rcass in good condition. Cadaver is a corpse used for dissection
>|nder, rotter, dog, rake. CADAVER n. stiff, cold meat, dead meat,
>|ies. 1. Examination of a cadaver to determine or confirm the caus
>|OFFIN, BOX, .006 COFFIN, CADAVER, .006 COFFIN, CLOSE, .006 COFFIN
>|RY, BODY, .007 CEMETERY, CADAVER, .007 CEMETERY, COFFIN, .007 CEM
>|KET, CACHE, .008 CASKET, CADAVER, .008 CASKET, FLOWER, .008 CASKE
>
> From fiction:
>
>|istic priests. The stale cadaver blocks up the passage ­ the buri
>|w my stark and mutilated cadaver stretched upon a slab where cool
>|aint at the sight of the cadaver; sank to the ground in a swoon;
>
> From nonfiction:
>
>|he gracious way to let a cadaver cutter, a tax collector, or a ca

In German, a "Kadaver" is normally the dead body of an animal. Using it
for a human body could be interpreted as lack of respect, or it could
express that the body has been treated with lack of respect, e.g. in war
(left on the ground, thrown into a mass grave).

I guess "carcass" is a close English equivalent.

--
CW: Historical misogyny
Jbzna vf n cnve bs binevrf jvgu n uhzna orvat nggnpurq, jurernf
zna vf n uhzna orvat sheavfurq jvgu n cnve bs grfgrf.
-- Rudolf Virchow

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<b1cb7h90pchilcfea2po32e84j9mskhubb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129825&group=alt.usage.english#129825

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 16:33:26 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 6 May 2022 23:33 UTC

On Fri, 6 May 2022 18:36:35 -0400, Quinn C
<lispamateur@crommatograph.info> wrote:

>* Snidely:
>
>> Friday, Stefan Ram observed:
>>
>>> . Should add that I usually get more hits for most words in
>>> fiction and nonfiction, so the small number of hits shows
>>> that the word "cadaver" is rarely used in fiction and
>>> nonfiction overall.
>>
>> What's left when fiction and nonfiction have been removed?
>
>Diaries, letters, news?

And perhaps, most common, speech.

>At least I'm not usually thinking of news when I hear "nonfiction", but
>primarily of "literary nonfiction", i.e. books and essayistic articles.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<slrnt7bg3n.keh.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129834&group=alt.usage.english#129834

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 00:42:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sat, 7 May 2022 00:42 UTC

In message <42ga7htk60p8ocv967p1pt73b0au59ubpd@4ax.com> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2022 08:59:32 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
> <acornish@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

>>On 2022-05-05 23:18:14 +0000, Lewis said:

>>> I think corpses is the right word.

>>> That is one reason that corpse is the right word.

>>> Corpse means a dead HUMAN body, exclusively.
>>>
>>> A dead body is not necessarily human, it would be any animal, from flea
>>> on up.

>>> It might just be not knowing the definitions of the two words?
>>
>>Where does "cadaver" fit into this scheme? It's not a word I use, ever,
>>and it's not usual in British English, but I think it does occur in
>>American speech.

> I don't remember ever hearing it in American speech

I've definitely hear it spoken in both TV and movies. Not sue I've ever
heard it in conversation with a person I was within 'social distance'
of outside of a role-playing game.

One that I can recall is in the movie Prisoners, "We're deploying
cadaver dogs." If you've seen this movie, I would expect you would
remember this line.

I'm pretty sire the quote is in one of the early Underworld movies, but it
might be one of the Blade movies.

--
Thanks to great leaders such as Ghengis Khan, Joan of Arc, and
Socratic Method, the world is full of history.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<slrnt7bg6s.keh.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129835&group=alt.usage.english#129835

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 00:44:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sat, 7 May 2022 00:44 UTC

In message <mn.32b47e65d1fb425a.127094@snitoo> Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com> wrote:
> What's left when fiction and nonfiction have been removed?

Reality.

--
In the velvet darkness of the blackest night Burning bright There's a
guiding star

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<m3y1zdz5nn.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129893&group=alt.usage.english#129893

From: enom...@net.meer (Madhu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 21:39:00 +0530
sha1:ci+UxZ3bQN5DQWfeglhRerYwPK0=
 by: Madhu - Sat, 7 May 2022 16:09 UTC

* Ken Blake <cufa7h1spkn1napdplandbcb8abpainbj7 @4ax.com> :
Wrote on Fri, 06 May 2022 08:34:39 -0700:

> On Fri, 6 May 2022 06:29:07 +0100, Hibou

>>> "Dead body" is redundant. Just "body" would do,
>>
>>I think the default meaning depends on context. After the massacre,
>>there were bodies everywhere. The beach was packed with bodies sunning
>>themselves. She had a beautiful body.

[I think you (H.b)'re misrepresenting HVS original-post a bit.]
Ob. Agatha Christie, she used this pun on "bodies" in the plot (and
execution) of /Evil under the Sun/

> Yes, my point exactly. "Dead body" was redundant in the quoted
> passage..

it wasn't quoted because the passage didn't use it. Instead it used
"corpse" for effect

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<grpikixae2.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129900&group=alt.usage.english#129900

From: a24...@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 19:20:00 +0100
 by: Adam Funk - Sat, 7 May 2022 18:20 UTC

On 2022-05-06, Snidely wrote:

> Friday, Stefan Ram observed:
>
>> . Should add that I usually get more hits for most words in
>> fiction and nonfiction, so the small number of hits shows
>> that the word "cadaver" is rarely used in fiction and
>> nonfiction overall.
>
> What's left when fiction and nonfiction have been removed?

tertium quid

--
I have a great programming joke but it's only
funny on my machine.

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<JvydnZrpH_VBIOv_nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129901&group=alt.usage.english#129901

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 13:43:40 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 7 May 2022 18:43 UTC

Stefan Ram:
>>> ...the word "cadaver" is rarely used in fiction and
>>> nonfiction overall.

"D.P.S.":
>> What's left when fiction and nonfiction have been removed?
Adam Funk:
> tertium quid

The question was what's left, not how much it costs!
--
Mark Brader | "One reason that life is complex is that it has
Toronto | a real part and an imaginary part."

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<t57j4l$78l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129953&group=alt.usage.english#129953

From: h.i...@b.ou (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 06:06:28 +0100
 by: Hibou - Sun, 8 May 2022 05:06 UTC

Le 07/05/2022 à 17:09, Madhu a écrit :

> [I think you (H.b)'re misrepresenting HVS original-post a bit.]

I was exploring the default meaning of 'body'. As to the OP's sample
sentence, 'dead' before 'bodies', though not necessary, is a valid
stylistic choice, I think. Or one could write: "We saw the dead lying on
both sides of the road."

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<1fvmkix6aa.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130080&group=alt.usage.english#130080

From: a24...@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 09:20:17 +0100
 by: Adam Funk - Mon, 9 May 2022 08:20 UTC

On 2022-05-06, Stefan Ram wrote:

> Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> writes:
>>I see you're doing a keyword in context search, but what in the world
>>are the last three matches above from, a funerary catalogue?
>
> From a "Free Association" dictionary. In my quotation,
> clarity was somewhat lost because several different lines
> were merged into a single line. Actually those three lines are:
>
>|CASKET, CADAVER, .008
>|CEMETERY, CADAVER, .007
>|COFFIN, CADAVER, .006
>
> . Should add that I usually get more hits for most words in
> fiction and nonfiction, so the small number of hits shows
> that the word "cadaver" is rarely used in fiction and
> nonfiction overall.

So what is the Free Assocation dictionary that you are using, & what
are the numbers at the end --- scores of some kind?

--
A lot of people never use their intiative because no-one
told them to. ---Banksy

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<a5vmkix6aa.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130081&group=alt.usage.english#130081

From: a24...@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 09:15:06 +0100
 by: Adam Funk - Mon, 9 May 2022 08:15 UTC

On 2022-05-07, Mark Brader wrote:

> Stefan Ram:
>
> "D.P.S.":
>>> What's left when fiction and nonfiction have been removed?
>
> Adam Funk:
>> tertium quid
>
> The question was what's left, not how much it costs!

In old money you could divide it evenly by 3.

--
I've had a few myself, he said,
but I never quit when I'm ahead

Re: Corpses vs Bodies

<59e5cf4e7acharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130083&group=alt.usage.english#130083

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 10:16:18 +0100
 by: charles - Mon, 9 May 2022 09:16 UTC

In article <a5vmkix6aa.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>,
Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> wrote:
> On 2022-05-07, Mark Brader wrote:

> > Stefan Ram:
> >
> > "D.P.S.":
> >
> > Adam Funk:
> >> tertium quid
> >
> > The question was what's left, not how much it costs!

> In old money you could divide it evenly by 3.

= 6/8d

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England