The difference between a good haircut and a bad one is seven days.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

SubjectAuthor
* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
+* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Wade Garrett
|+- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
|`- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Clare Snyder
+* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?hubops
|`* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
| +* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Ed Pawlowski
| |`* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
| | `* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Rod Speed
| |  `- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
| +* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?micky
| |`* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
| | `- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?hubops
| `* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Rod Speed
|  +* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?hubops
|  |`* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
|  | `* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Rod Speed
|  |  +* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?hubops
|  |  |`- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?trader_4
|  |  `- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
|  `* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
|   `- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Rod Speed
+* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?trader_4
|`* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Retirednoguilt
| `- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?trader_4
+- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Ed Pawlowski
`* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Dick
 `* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Clare Snyder
  `- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?hubops

Pages:12
Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<4074e46a-9f66-427a-8fc4-975bfe6a56ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23532&group=alt.home.repair#23532

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:07:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:07 UTC

SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.

See the last image here:

https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588

Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.

I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
the tabs, further weakening the connection.

What do you folks think?

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<t3mh3p$2gq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23535&group=alt.home.repair#23535

From: Wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:31:20 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:31 UTC

On 4/19/22 10:07 AM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
> SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
> receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
> connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
> slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
>
> See the last image here:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>
> Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
> receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
> the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
> secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
> failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
>
> I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
> heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
> the tabs, further weakening the connection.
>
> What do you folks think?

I've heard folks complain about back-stab electrical device failures-
but I've never had one. And I don't really understand why some consider
them failure-prone.

You stick the wire in, you install the switch/receptacle, etc., in the
box, and then never touch it again.

I can see a potential problem if you pull the wire out and then stick it
back in, maybe even more than once. But stick it and leave it alone--
what's to fail?

--
If an old dude ever gives you advice while peeling an apple with a
pocket knife and eating the pieces right off the blade, you should

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<3tjt5h1mod6cs0713lco8chrelqt34bnpn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23536&group=alt.home.repair#23536

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:05:44 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:05 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:07:37 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson
<comawhiteknuckles@gmail.com> wrote:

>SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
>receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
>connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
>slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
>
>See the last image here:
>
>https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>
>Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
>receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
>the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
>secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
>failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
>
>I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
>heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
>the tabs, further weakening the connection.
>
>What do you folks think?

This guy opens one up for a closer look :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBZQ23TaZg

John T.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<c6c63880-ba2b-454b-882a-e6c4b810a35fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23538&group=alt.home.repair#23538

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:59:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:59 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 10:07:42 AM UTC-4, Marilyn Manson wrote:
> SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
> receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
> connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
> slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
>
> See the last image here:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>
> Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
> receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
> the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
> secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
> failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
>
> I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
> heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
> the tabs, further weakening the connection.
>
> What do you folks think?

I think that since the current involved is just for an LED or USB, that it's
incapable of generating any significant heat, unless the electronics
shorts out and even that is probably only going to generate a little arc
that probably can't do anything. But is this thing UL listed? It doesn't
say. And I would never think of coming up with something like this
because I would think there would be problems getting it listed.
Is it legal to sell without UL? Like code requires some kind of secure
connection for just about anything.

This seems better and worse than the backstab idea. Better because
very little current is involved, versus 15/20A. Worse because those
fingers would have less tension, maybe more prone to oxidation,
already oxidized because the receptacle is 30 years old, etc.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<d9b6e724-e2d7-4a4c-979d-5231dcc5c79an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23539&group=alt.home.repair#23539

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:03:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:03 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 10:31:26 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
> On 4/19/22 10:07 AM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
> > SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
> > receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
> > connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
> > slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
> >
> > See the last image here:
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
> >
> > Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
> > receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
> > the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
> > secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
> > failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
> >
> > I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
> > heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
> > the tabs, further weakening the connection.
> >
> > What do you folks think?
> I've heard folks complain about back-stab electrical device failures-
> but I've never had one. And I don't really understand why some consider
> them failure-prone.
>
> You stick the wire in, you install the switch/receptacle, etc., in the
> box, and then never touch it again.
>
> I can see a potential problem if you pull the wire out and then stick it
> back in, maybe even more than once. But stick it and leave it alone--
> what's to fail?

Any discussion related to back-stab devices should always start with ensuring
that we are talking about the spring-tab type, not the newer clamp type where
the wire stills gets "stabbed" into the back of the device but then gets clamped
down by tightening the clamping plate with a screw. There is often confusion
between those two types.

Regarding the spring-tab type, 2 issues come quickly to mind:

1 - When you initially stab the wire in it bends the tab towards the front of the
receptacle. Tension holds the tab against the wire making minimal connection
compared to a screw or clamp plate. Then you push the receptacle into the box
which can often put forward pressure on the wires themselves, loosening the
connection with the tab. You can't see it/feel it/ever know that it happened. Now
you are starting with a loose connection that can heat up over time and get even
looser.

2 - The cyclic heating and cooling of the connection based on the load can cause the
connection to loosen. This may never happen with a basic lamp or small kitchen
appliance, but more likely to happen with space heaters, etc.

In addition, most back-stab devices are at the low end of the quality scale to begin with,
meaning that, in general, they are more prone to failure even if the spring-tab connection
isn't the problem.

Then there's this, which compares older style back-stabs to newer style back-stabs. I have
not verified the comments, mainly because I simply do not use back stab devices. I've seen
enough failures, both intermittent connections and burnt receptacles, that I see no reason
to take a chance. I've got a screw driver in my hand anyway, so why not use it to ensure a
solid connection around a screw or behind a clamp plate?

From: https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/backstabbing-15a-receptacles-and-switches.2533117/

"Are you aware that the "Back Stab" receptacles are now only listed for #14 American Wire Gauge?
The side mounted terminal screws, if provided, are listed for #12 AWG as well as #14. Initially the
spring terminals were listed for both gauges. Since they had to be made with a hole large enough
for the larger gauge, but were mostly used for #14 wire, they allowed #14 to move too much as it
expanded and contracted from the regular cycling of various loads going on and off. The presently
manufactured spring terminal receptacles will not pass the listing standard if the holes into the
terminal are large enough to except #12 wire. The smaller hole forces the #14 conductors to remain
in position under the contact spring. There is no longer any room for them to shift out of full contact.
The spring configuration has also been altered to provide more contact area with the conductor. No
conductor movement and a larger contact area equals adequate real world performance. The new
ones are much better than the old dual gauge type but the truth is that until they have provided 20+
years of service without a significant number of failures I won't trust them so I won't use them."

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<vWB7K.247582$H_t7.87226@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23541&group=alt.home.repair#23541

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:02:20 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:02 UTC

On 4/19/2022 10:07 AM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
> SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
> receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
> connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
> slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
>
> See the last image here:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>
> Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
> receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
> the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
> secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
> failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
>
> I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
> heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
> the tabs, further weakening the connection.
>
> What do you folks think?

Lee Valley had some similar and I have a couple for two years now. Work
perfectly, easy to install. Only difference, at the time they were only
$7 on a special buy.

They pull maybe 1/100 amp when on so little heat generated.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<ffe6adc0-4b5d-4abe-9086-30011f1f2de0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23543&group=alt.home.repair#23543

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:23 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 11:02:58 AM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:07:37 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson
> <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
> >receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
> >connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
> >slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
> >
> >See the last image here:
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
> >
> >Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
> >receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
> >the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
> >secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
> >failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
> >
> >I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
> >heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
> >the tabs, further weakening the connection.
> >
> >What do you folks think?
> This guy opens one up for a closer look :
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBZQ23TaZg
>
> John T.

That's a great comparison between 3 similar devices, but no discussion
of my primary "concern": The contact points.

Call me overly cautious, but if it's electrical, I think it should be securely
connected. Yes, it's a low amperage draw, but I still don't like the connection
method.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<t3mrfj$n26$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23544&group=alt.home.repair#23544

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:28:16 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:28 UTC

On 4/19/2022 11:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 10:07:42 AM UTC-4, Marilyn Manson wrote:
>> SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
>> receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
>> connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
>> slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
>>
>> See the last image here:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>>
>> Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
>> receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
>> the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
>> secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
>> failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
>>
>> I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
>> heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
>> the tabs, further weakening the connection.
>>
>> What do you folks think?
>
> I think that since the current involved is just for an LED or USB, that it's
> incapable of generating any significant heat, unless the electronics
> shorts out and even that is probably only going to generate a little arc
> that probably can't do anything. But is this thing UL listed? It doesn't
> say. And I would never think of coming up with something like this
> because I would think there would be problems getting it listed.
> Is it legal to sell without UL? Like code requires some kind of secure
> connection for just about anything.
>
> This seems better and worse than the backstab idea. Better because
> very little current is involved, versus 15/20A. Worse because those
> fingers would have less tension, maybe more prone to oxidation,
> already oxidized because the receptacle is 30 years old, etc.
According to comments I found on the SnapPower web site, this product is
not UL approved. Rather, it is claimed to be ETL certified under
certain UL code citations. Interesting, because all other SnapPower
products are apparently UL approved. The LED draws so little current
that I'm surprised that no one has been able to come up with a design
for this type of item that draws the needed power via induction, similar
to "cordless charging" for certain types of cell phones and other modern
electronics.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<hAC7K.88073$Kdf.30361@fx96.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23546&group=alt.home.repair#23546

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:46:54 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:46 UTC

On 4/19/2022 1:23 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:

>>> See the last image here:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>>>

> Call me overly cautious, but if it's electrical, I think it should be securely
> connected. Yes, it's a low amperage draw, but I still don't like the connection
> method.

Lower voltage, but a couple of billion flashlights work the same way.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<s5ut5h1coavfnusnhrrj8dhkqt593k4vsb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23549&group=alt.home.repair#23549

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:03:19 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:03 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:23:25 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
Manson <comawhiteknuckles@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 11:02:58 AM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:07:37 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson
>> <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
>> >receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
>> >connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
>> >slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
>> >
>> >See the last image here:
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>> >
>> >Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
>> >receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
>> >the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
>> >secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
>> >failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
>> >
>> >I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
>> >heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
>> >the tabs, further weakening the connection.
>> >
>> >What do you folks think?
>> This guy opens one up for a closer look :
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBZQ23TaZg
>>
>> John T.
>
>That's a great comparison between 3 similar devices, but no discussion
>of my primary "concern": The contact points.
>
>Call me overly cautious, but if it's electrical, I think it should be securely
>connected. Yes, it's a low amperage draw, but I still don't like the connection
>method.

It's not great, and it's a nifty idea, but $50 a piece is too much** I'd
rather just use those spherical 7watt bulbs. I'm sure I still have one
or two. Or stumble around in the dark. **Oh, it's a 2-pack. I only
need one, if that.

The amazon ad says nothing about USB port.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<be77e184-d465-456b-bd45-2d0d84b42b45n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23552&group=alt.home.repair#23552

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:21:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:21 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 1:46:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > Call me overly cautious, but if it's electrical, I think it should be securely
> > connected. Yes, it's a low amperage draw, but I still don't like the connection
> > method.
> Lower voltage, but a couple of billion flashlights work the same way.

Edited for clarity:

Call me overly cautious, but if it's 120VAC, I think it should be securely
connected.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<27ad0ddf-862b-41c4-8d78-92541e4048b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23553&group=alt.home.repair#23553

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:25:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:25 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 2:03:26 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:23:25 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
> Manson <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 11:02:58 AM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

> >> This guy opens one up for a closer look :
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBZQ23TaZg
> >>
> >> John T.
> >
> >That's a great comparison between 3 similar devices, but no discussion
> >of my primary "concern": The contact points.
> >
> >Call me overly cautious, but if it's electrical, I think it should be securely
> >connected. Yes, it's a low amperage draw, but I still don't like the connection
> >method.
> It's not great, and it's a nifty idea, but $50 a piece is too much** I'd
> rather just use those spherical 7watt bulbs. I'm sure I still have one
> or two. Or stumble around in the dark. **Oh, it's a 2-pack. I only
> need one, if that.
>
> The amazon ad says nothing about USB port.

But I did.

"SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc."

https://www.snappower.com/pages/chargers

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<op.1kvyhjprbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23557&group=alt.home.repair#23557

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 04:47:33 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:47 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 03:23:25 +1000, Marilyn Manson
<comawhiteknuckles@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 11:02:58 AM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.ca
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:07:37 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson
>> <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
>> >receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
>> >connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
>> >slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
>> >
>> >See the last image here:
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>> >
>> >Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old
>> back-stab
>> >receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab
>> that held
>> >the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
>> >secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they
>> eventually
>> >failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little
>> bit.
>> >
>> >I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
>> >heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
>> >the tabs, further weakening the connection.
>> >
>> >What do you folks think?
>> This guy opens one up for a closer look :
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBZQ23TaZg
>>
>> John T.
>
> That's a great comparison between 3 similar devices, but no discussion
> of my primary "concern": The contact points.
>
> Call me overly cautious, but if it's electrical, I think it should be
> securely
> connected. Yes, it's a low amperage draw, but I still don't like the
> connection
> method.

Works fine with electric jugs which sit on the powered base
and you just pick up to pour the hot water into your mug etc.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<op.1kvyvjhsbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23558&group=alt.home.repair#23558

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 04:55:57 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:55 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 04:21:43 +1000, Marilyn Manson
<comawhiteknuckles@gmail.com> wrote:

>> https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>> >>>

>> > Call me overly cautious, but if it's electrical, I think it should be
>> securely
>> > connected. Yes, it's a low amperage draw, but I still don't like the
>> connection
>> > method.
>> Lower voltage, but a couple of billion flashlights work the same way.
>
> Edited for clarity:
>
> Call me overly cautious,

Gday overly cautious.

> but if it's 120VAC, I think it should be securely
> connected.

Works fine at 240VAC with electric jugs.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<vk1u5hhbsk8hn60pc9iud1t2puv077rv7a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23559&group=alt.home.repair#23559

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:02:46 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:02 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:25:09 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson
<comawhiteknuckles@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 2:03:26 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:23:25 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
>> Manson <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >That's a great comparison between 3 similar devices, but no discussion
>> >of my primary "concern": The contact points.
>> >
>> >Call me overly cautious, but if it's electrical, I think it should be securely
>> >connected. Yes, it's a low amperage draw, but I still don't like the connection
>> >method.
>> It's not great, and it's a nifty idea, but $50 a piece is too much** I'd
>> rather just use those spherical 7watt bulbs. I'm sure I still have one
>> or two. Or stumble around in the dark. **Oh, it's a 2-pack. I only
>> need one, if that.
>>
>> The amazon ad says nothing about USB port.
>
>But I did.
>
>"SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
>receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc."
>
>https://www.snappower.com/pages/chargers

Other brands are sold at Lowes and Home Depot in Canada
6 for $ 60. $ 13. each Canuck-Bucks
but availability is sketchy.
As usual - Amazon pricing is all-over-the-map.
John T.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<712u5hd1f7mv1tanrnqj0gk9gctn3irekv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23560&group=alt.home.repair#23560

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:07:27 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:07 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 04:47:33 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 03:23:25 +1000, Marilyn Manson
><comawhiteknuckles@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 11:02:58 AM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.ca
>> wrote:

>>> back-stab
>>> that held
>>> eventually
>>> bit.

>>> This guy opens one up for a closer look :
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBZQ23TaZg
>>>
>>> John T.
>>
>> That's a great comparison between 3 similar devices, but no discussion
>> of my primary "concern": The contact points.
>>
>> Call me overly cautious, but if it's electrical, I think it should be
>> securely
>> connected. Yes, it's a low amperage draw, but I still don't like the
>> connection
>> method.
>
>Works fine with electric jugs which sit on the powered base
>and you just pick up to pour the hot water into your mug etc.

MM must be really nervous about those ! :-)
Mine is 1350 watts and full of water too !
John T.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<5c10cff1-0411-4baf-aae9-86f856c8415an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23561&group=alt.home.repair#23561

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:52:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:52 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 2:47:42 PM UTC-4, some gutless
fuckwit desperately cowering behind Rod Speed spewed the
shit that always pours from the back of it.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<31bf6698-59ca-4349-a7c2-1a48c5b88f68n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23562&group=alt.home.repair#23562

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:53:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:53 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 2:56:06 PM UTC-4, some gutless
fuckwit desperately cowering behind Rod Speed spewed the
shit that always pours from the back of it.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<07c5efad-bd6a-4099-88c9-012c51108b8an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23563&group=alt.home.repair#23563

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:58:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:58 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 3:04:40 PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 04:47:33 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 03:23:25 +1000, Marilyn Manson
> ><comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That's a great comparison between 3 similar devices, but no discussion
> >> of my primary "concern": The contact points.
> >>
> >> Call me overly cautious, but if it's electrical, I think it should be
> >> securely
> >> connected. Yes, it's a low amperage draw, but I still don't like the
> >> connection
> >> method.
> >
> >Works fine with electric jugs which sit on the powered base
> >and you just pick up to pour the hot water into your mug etc.
> MM must be really nervous about those ! :-)
> Mine is 1350 watts and full of water too !
> John T.

Seriously? Stooping to agreeing with that fuckwit?

It's a totally irrelevant comment.

There is no connection between the carafe and the source
of the electricity.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<op.1kv89wmibyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23565&group=alt.home.repair#23565

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:40:34 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 22:40 UTC

Marilyn Manson <comawhiteknuckles@gmail.com> wrote

> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 2:47:42 PM UTC-4, some gutless
> fuckwit desperately cowering behind Rod Speed spewed the
> shit that always pours from the back of it.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Can't even manage your own lines either.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<op.1kv9doghbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23566&group=alt.home.repair#23566

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:42:50 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 22:42 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 05:58:39 +1000, Marilyn Manson
<comawhiteknuckles@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 3:04:40 PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.ca
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 04:47:33 +1000, "Rod Speed"
>> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588

>> more
>> little

>> causing
>> behind

>> discussion

>> >Works fine with electric jugs which sit on the powered base
>> >and you just pick up to pour the hot water into your mug etc.
>> MM must be really nervous about those ! :-)
>> Mine is 1350 watts and full of water too !
>> John T.

> It's a totally irrelevant comment.

We'll see...

> There is no connection between the carafe and the source
> of the electricity.

Wrong, as always. The heating element is inside the jug and
gets the electricity from the base that is plugged into the wall.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<tnfu5hdj6ccie9g7cs5pecl8lb1jabqv25@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23569&group=alt.home.repair#23569

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:06:33 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:06 UTC

>>> MM must be really nervous about those ! :-)
>>> Mine is 1350 watts and full of water too !
>>> John T.
>
>> It's a totally irrelevant comment.
>
>We'll see...
>
>> There is no connection between the carafe and the source
>> of the electricity.
>
>Wrong, as always. The heating element is inside the jug and
>gets the electricity from the base that is plugged into the wall.

That's how my kitchen kettle works - with only the vagaries
of gravity to assure the integrity of the contacts .. :-)
John T.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<728fd889-d690-4c59-bdfd-e98cb0ea6f0cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23572&group=alt.home.repair#23572

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:28:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:28 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 6:43:02 PM UTC-4, some gutless
fuckwit desperately cowering behind Rod Speed spewed the
shit that always pours from the back of it.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<7ptu5hd5v2i5c6pnm9jn4r34q868li6hsl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23575&group=alt.home.repair#23575

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:00:35 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 03:00 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:31:20 -0400, Wade Garrett <Wade@cooler.net>
wrote:

>On 4/19/22 10:07 AM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
>> SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
>> receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
>> connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
>> slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
>>
>> See the last image here:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>>
>> Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
>> receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
>> the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
>> secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
>> failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
>>
>> I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
>> heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
>> the tabs, further weakening the connection.
>>
>> What do you folks think?
>
>I've heard folks complain about back-stab electrical device failures-
>but I've never had one. And I don't really understand why some consider
>them failure-prone.
>
>You stick the wire in, you install the switch/receptacle, etc., in the
>box, and then never touch it again.
>
>I can see a potential problem if you pull the wire out and then stick it
>back in, maybe even more than once. But stick it and leave it alone--
>what's to fail?
I bought some of those "night light" outlet covers - and they are
SHITE!!!!

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<bce48244-4e13-4be8-92d1-f33313cae22dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23581&group=alt.home.repair#23581

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 05:26:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 12:26 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 1:28:24 PM UTC-4, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 4/19/2022 11:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 10:07:42 AM UTC-4, Marilyn Manson wrote:
> >> SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
> >> receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
> >> connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
> >> slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
> >>
> >> See the last image here:
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
> >>
> >> Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
> >> receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
> >> the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
> >> secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
> >> failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
> >>
> >> I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
> >> heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
> >> the tabs, further weakening the connection.
> >>
> >> What do you folks think?
> >
> > I think that since the current involved is just for an LED or USB, that it's
> > incapable of generating any significant heat, unless the electronics
> > shorts out and even that is probably only going to generate a little arc
> > that probably can't do anything. But is this thing UL listed? It doesn't
> > say. And I would never think of coming up with something like this
> > because I would think there would be problems getting it listed.
> > Is it legal to sell without UL? Like code requires some kind of secure
> > connection for just about anything.
> >
> > This seems better and worse than the backstab idea. Better because
> > very little current is involved, versus 15/20A. Worse because those
> > fingers would have less tension, maybe more prone to oxidation,
> > already oxidized because the receptacle is 30 years old, etc.
> According to comments I found on the SnapPower web site, this product is
> not UL approved. Rather, it is claimed to be ETL certified under
> certain UL code citations. Interesting, because all other SnapPower
> products are apparently UL approved. The LED draws so little current
> that I'm surprised that no one has been able to come up with a design
> for this type of item that draws the needed power via induction, similar
> to "cordless charging" for certain types of cell phones and other modern
> electronics.

The problem there is how do you get this new device in close proximity with
the current carrying conductors? You could have wires that get wrapped
around them, but that would be a pain to install. And there is no current flowing
to create an EMF field unless something is plugged into the receptacle and
drawing power.