Take what you can use and let the rest go by. -- Ken Kesey

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

SubjectAuthor
* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
+* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Wade Garrett
|+- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
|`- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Clare Snyder
+* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?hubops
|`* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
| +* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Ed Pawlowski
| |`* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
| | `* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Rod Speed
| |  `- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
| +* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?micky
| |`* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
| | `- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?hubops
| `* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Rod Speed
|  +* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?hubops
|  |`* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
|  | `* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Rod Speed
|  |  +* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?hubops
|  |  |`- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?trader_4
|  |  `- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
|  `* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Marilyn Manson
|   `- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Rod Speed
+* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?trader_4
|`* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Retirednoguilt
| `- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?trader_4
+- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Ed Pawlowski
`* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Dick
 `* Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?Clare Snyder
  `- Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?hubops

Pages:12
Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<32896382-bd27-4d5c-9724-e95f02b19f92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23583&group=alt.home.repair#23583

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 05:29:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 12:29 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 7:03:48 PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

> >> It's a totally irrelevant comment.
> >
> >We'll see...
> >
> >> There is no connection between the carafe and the source
> >> of the electricity.
> >
> >Wrong, as always. The heating element is inside the jug and
> >gets the electricity from the base that is plugged into the wall.
> That's how my kitchen kettle works - with only the vagaries
> of gravity to assure the integrity of the contacts .. :-)
> John T.

That's how every one I've ever seen works too. They don't use
induction heating in a $50 electric kettle.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<haU7K.1443$2OB.69@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23590&group=alt.home.repair#23590

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: dic...@usenet.web (Dick)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:46:35 -0400
 by: Dick - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:46 UTC

On 4/19/2022 10:07:37 AM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
> SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
> receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
> connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
> slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
>
> See the last image here:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>
> Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
> receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
> the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
> secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
> failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
>
> I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
> heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
> the tabs, further weakening the connection.
>
> What do you folks think?

Clearly you have a poor understanding of electricity.
The covers do Not draw enough current to cause heat and are fused inside so they're safe.

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<b7136hp3794rgqdj60ap1tk2i89i1n2s50@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23648&group=alt.home.repair#23648

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:27:24 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:27 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:46:35 -0400, Dick <dick@usenet.web> wrote:

>On 4/19/2022 10:07:37 AM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
>> SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
>> receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
>> connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
>> slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
>>
>> See the last image here:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>>
>> Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
>> receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
>> the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
>> secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
>> failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
>>
>> I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
>> heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
>> the tabs, further weakening the connection.
>>
>> What do you folks think?
>

>Clearly you have a poor understanding of electricity.
>The covers do Not draw enough current to cause heat and are fused inside so they're safe.
The problem is they don't fit worth shit. The ones I have are "ECO
PowerPlate" and the plastic tabs withthe contacts are too thick to fit
between the receptacle and the box. Also, the photocell is useless -
the lights stay on all day and all night on the one I finally got
jammed into the box. VERY dissapointing, for what I paid for them!!!

Re: Does This Electrical Device Bother Anyone Besides Me?

<m5736h9h75o1ao8r6g6oldcd9g6mjsbvtu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23651&group=alt.home.repair#23651

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 14:21:28 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 18:21 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:27:24 -0400, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:46:35 -0400, Dick <dick@usenet.web> wrote:
>
>>On 4/19/2022 10:07:37 AM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
>>> SnapPower sells receptacle covers that transfer power from the
>>> receptacle's screws to a nightlight, a USB charge port, etc. The
>>> connection to the receptacle's screws is nothing more than a
>>> slip-on pressure connection using 2 plastic backed metal tabs.
>>>
>>> See the last image here:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/SnapPower-MotionLight-Standard-OUTLETS-Built/dp/B098RYQ588
>>>
>>> Something about this just bothers me. It reminds me of the old back-stab
>>> receptacles that were well known for the failure of the spring tab that held
>>> the wires. IMO, the initial connection on those receptacles was more
>>> secure than the slip-on connection of these covers and yet they eventually
>>> failed. At least the tab on the back-stabs dug into the wire a little bit.
>>>
>>> I can imagine the tabs on these covers weakening over time and causing
>>> heat and maybe even arcing. Any heat would weaken the plastic behind
>>> the tabs, further weakening the connection.
>>>
>>> What do you folks think?
>>

>>Clearly you have a poor understanding of electricity.
>>The covers do Not draw enough current to cause heat and are fused inside so they're safe.
>
> The problem is they don't fit worth shit. The ones I have are "ECO
>PowerPlate" and the plastic tabs withthe contacts are too thick to fit
>between the receptacle and the box. Also, the photocell is useless -
>the lights stay on all day and all night on the one I finally got
>jammed into the box. VERY dissapointing, for what I paid for them!!!

In Canada, Lowes sells "Vision" brand ; online only; 6-for-$60 :

https://www.lowes.ca/product/electrical-outlet-covers/vision-lighted-duplex-outlet-cover-plate-non-metallic-whit-1-outlete-cover-plate-6-pack-330767175

Home Depot's Westek has a diffuser over the leds; $ 13. each :

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/westek-lumicover-decor-outlet-nightlight-wallplate-in-white/1001652356

The ones that Lee Valley once sold had a On-Off switch :

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/electrical/switch-covers/110991-led-toggle-switch-cover-plate?item=99W0274

John T.