"Confound these ancestors.... They've stolen our best ideas!" -- Ben Jonson

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

SubjectAuthor
* Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingEd Pawlowski
+- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingHank Rogers
+- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingBruce
+* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingSqwertz
|+* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingThomas
||+- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingbruce bowser
||`* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingMichael Trew
|| +* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
|| |`* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingMichael Trew
|| | `* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
|| |  `- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingMichael Trew
|| `* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingThomas
||  `- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingMichael Trew
|+* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingDave Smith
||`* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingLeonard Blaisdell
|| `* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingDave Smith
||  +- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingGary
||  `- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingLeonard Blaisdell
|`* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingLeonard Blaisdell
| +* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingBruce
| |`* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingLeonard Blaisdell
| | `* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingdsi1
| |  `* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingHank Rogers
| |   `* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingMike Duffy
| |    `- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingCindy Hamilton
| `* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingEd Pawlowski
|  +* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingLeonard Blaisdell
|  |+* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingBruce
|  ||+- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingS Viemeister
|  ||`* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingEd Pawlowski
|  || `- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingEd Pawlowski
|  |+* Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingGary
|  ||`- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingBruce
|  |`- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingEd Pawlowski
|  `- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingS Viemeister
+- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingGary
`- Re: Uh oh, the Rock is eruptingdsi1

Pages:12
Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

<rIniL.29608$sEq1.8533@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236783&group=rec.food.cooking#236783

Subject: Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 09:11:33 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 14:11 UTC

On 2022-12-02 12:46 a.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> On 2022-11-29, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> When I had a summer job in an alloy plant back in the early 70s we
>> heated up a lot of food on the "heats". The smelted metal was poured
>> into cast iron pans about 6 ft across and 2ft deep. The slag would ride
>> to the top and they sat there to cool for about 6 hours before they were
>> removed. You could not put aluminum foil on the freshly poured stuff
>> because it would melt. A kettle of water would come to a boil very
>> quickly. You had to be careful to keep things wrapped because there was
>> so much dust in the air.
>

> And yet, you don't regret a minute of your experience there. :-)

It was interesting work, very dangerous and I made good money. The best
part was that it inspired me to work harder so I would not have to work
jobs like that in the future.

Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

<tmd8v1$33ppe$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236805&group=rec.food.cooking#236805

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 11:26:10 -0500
 by: Gary - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 16:26 UTC

Dave Smith wrote:
> It was interesting work, very dangerous and I made good money.  The best
> part was that it inspired me to work harder so I would not have to work
> jobs like that in the future.

My brother dropped out of high school one year and got a job with a
roofing company the next summer. Very long hours and hard and dangerous
work. He was "educated."

Next fall he started community college and also earned his high school GED.

After 2 years of community college, he went to University of South
Carolina and earned his bachelors degree. From there he attended the
University of Texas - Austin and earned his PhD in Chemistry.

He did very well and I'm proud of that boy.

Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

<fJpiL.8486$z011.5909@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236808&group=rec.food.cooking#236808

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 11:29:00 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 16:29 UTC

On 12/2/2022 2:16 AM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> On 2022-12-02, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>> Last June when I was in New Jersey we climbed to the highest point in
>> Cape May. I'm rather proud of that. No special equipment either.
>

> Not bad for an old man! What was it, 800 feet? ;)

It is actually 32 feet. If you stand on your tippy toes you can see the
ocean from there.

I was there with my friend and it was pointed out to us. The walk down
we really easy too. The overall elevation of the town is 10' so the
climb to the top was 20.

Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

<dPpiL.8487$z011.5368@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236810&group=rec.food.cooking#236810

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 11:35:22 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 16:35 UTC

On 12/2/2022 3:00 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On 2 Dec 2022 07:16:43 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
> <leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-12-02, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Last June when I was in New Jersey we climbed to the highest point in
>>> Cape May. I'm rather proud of that. No special equipment either.
>>

>> Not bad for an old man! What was it, 800 feet? ;)
>
> I looked it up to see the extent of Ed's Herculean effort and lo and
> behold:
> "It is named for Cornelius Jacobsen Mey, a Dutch explorer who worked
> for the Dutch East India Company. "
> (Wiki)

It has quite a history. Part of it is south of the Mason Dixon line and
was segregated and had a black school and a white school. Harriette
Tubman lived there. Went by here house but she was not home.

Mostly tourist, many fishing boats, ferry terminal with a great
restaurant. Big old Victorian houses in much of the town.

Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

<juurl2F4g83U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236824&group=rec.food.cooking#236824

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 04:40:46 +1100
 by: Bruce - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 17:40 UTC

On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 08:12:31 -0500, Gary <g.majors@att.net> wrote:

>On 12/2/2022 2:16 AM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> On 2022-12-02, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Last June when I was in New Jersey we climbed to the highest point in
>>> Cape May. I'm rather proud of that. No special equipment either.
>>

>> Not bad for an old man! What was it, 800 feet? ;)
>
>Highest elevation/mountain in Virginia Beach is Mt.Trashmore. 60 feet
>above sea level (my elevation is 20 feet or less). I've been there many
>times but not recently. It's a worthless mountain, imo.

The name says it all.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

<9aa5eead-6883-47ca-82a4-bc60a0fccf12n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236833&group=rec.food.cooking#236833

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 11:21:28 -0800 (PST)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 19:21 UTC

On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 9:14:19 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> On 2022-12-02, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In 1958 the top would have been higher. Erosion.
> It's an active volcano, so who knows? It stinks around there, just like
> Yellowstone. I haven't smelled either of the sulfurous delights since
> the late Sixties when other tourists were far rarer, and I didn't
> appreciate what I experienced nearly as much as I should have.

The Volcanos National Park, like a lot of national parks, is one of my favorite spots in the state. When we went there decades ago, the Devastation Trail was mostly black lava rock. These days, the lava has broken down into something more like soil. That's pretty amazing.

https://www.nps.gov/thingstodo/devastation-trail.htm

Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

<XfuiL.22634$MGw.12755@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236851&group=rec.food.cooking#236851

From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 16:39:04 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 21:39 UTC

On 12/2/2022 1:43 PM, GM wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote re: Cape May:
>
>> It has quite a history. Part of it is south of the Mason Dixon line and
>> was segregated and had a black school and a white school. Harriette
>> Tubman lived there. Went by here house but she was not home.
>>
>> Mostly tourist, many fishing boats, ferry terminal with a great
>> restaurant. Big old Victorian houses in much of the town.
>

> The Delmarva Peninsula is just south, IIRC you can take a ferry from
> Cape May to Lewes MD; Rehoboth Beach is adjacent. I love that area of the country...
>
> https://www.cmlf.com/
>
> A MESSAGE FROM THE CAPE MAY-LEWES FERRY:
>
> "We're sailing daily and welcoming all methods of travel - vehicles, foot passengers and bicycles. We're
> back to normal operations, so come join us aboard the vessel, grab a coffee or breakfast from Lewes
> Coffee Company, stop in for lunch or dinner at Grain On the Rocks in the Lewes Terminal, or grab a
> bite to go from Cafe 64 in the Cape May terminal, managed by Exit Zero Hospitality..."

I often stay with my friend at her summer place in Ocean City, just
about 25 miles north of Cape May.

We ate at The Lookout. We went because we were there but many came from
the area because it is a classy place, great food. Never thought a
ferry terminal would have such a place.

https://www.visitferrypark.com/the-lookout

We were headed to Cape May for another reason but Joan asked if we could
take a ride by the ferry so we did. Long story short, we ended up
taking a round trip, walk on, 85 minutes each way, and got back just
after 5 so we went for dinner.

They had a nice bar and offerings. She got some fancy drink I got a G &
T but they had Nauti Gin, locally made. Good stuff.

Next day we went to the Nauti Distillery. Bought some gin and went back
to her house. Next day we went to a local winery and she wanted some
gin for her kids so we went back and also sat outside sipping an Old
Fashioned on the lawn.

https://nautispirits.com/

Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

<DLwiL.92386$Q0m1.90686@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236865&group=rec.food.cooking#236865

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 18:29:23 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 00:29 UTC

GM wrote:
> On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 1:21:32 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

>>> It's an active volcano, so who knows? It stinks around there, just like
>>> Yellowstone. I haven't smelled either of the sulfurous delights since
>>> the late Sixties when other tourists were far rarer, and I didn't
>>> appreciate what I experienced nearly as much as I should have.
>> The Volcanos National Park, like a lot of national parks, is one of my favorite spots in the state. When we went there decades ago, the Devastation Trail was mostly black lava rock. These days, the lava has broken down into something more like soil. That's pretty amazing.
>>
>> https://www.nps.gov/thingstodo/devastation-trail.htm
>

> And God’s people are rising!
>
> ;-)

The rapture has started?

Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

<yfxiL.11599$97z4.6870@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236873&group=rec.food.cooking#236873

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 01:03:26 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 01:03 UTC

On 2022-12-03, GM <gregorymorrowchicago07@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 6:29:29 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:

>> The rapture has started?

> "Hawaii Dave" should be vewy VEWY a - scared...

Why? If all the 'good' Christians suddenly vanished,
the world would become a paradise for the rest of us.

Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

<baAiL.9806$1CA4.2254@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236922&group=rec.food.cooking#236922

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 23:22:37 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 04:22 UTC

On 12/1/2022 1:15, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:

>>> I've been there!
>>>
>> I've always wanted to go. It's not too far, but most of my friends and
>> family are boring, and won't explore abandoned stuff with me.
>>
> It was interesting and you could smell the steam and sulfur escaping the earth.
> And of course, you see steam escaping here and there.
>>
>> During COVID, they dumped dirt over the graffiti highway in Centralia,
>> using the excuse that people can't gather there 'cause COVID. Stupid
>> reasoning, and sad.
>>
> When I was there, there were still several people living in the town. I wonder
> if they've been forced out now by the fire underground?

I played Cindy, and looked it up. There are 5 remaining residents (80
per cent Caucasian, 20 per cent Asian), and one under 18 years old.
From what I understand of the story, the remaining inhabitants of the
town were evicted, and their homes condemned and taken via eminent domain.

The few remaining residents reached a conjunction in court to block
this, and were granted to continue living there for the rest of their
lives. Of course, I might be thinking of another city... either way,
only 5 people live in Centralia, as of the 2020 census.

Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

<ycFiL.11709$jHT4.5627@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236943&group=rec.food.cooking#236943

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 10:06:22 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 10:06 UTC

On 2022-12-03, Mike Duffy <mxduffy@bell.net> wrote:
> On 2022-12-03, GM <gregorymorrowchicago07@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 6:29:29 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:
>
>>> The rapture has started?
>
>> "Hawaii Dave" should be vewy VEWY a - scared...
>
> Why? If all the 'good' Christians suddenly vanished,
> the world would become a paradise for the rest of us.

If all the _good_ Christians vanished, there would be plenty of
noisy, fake Christians left here. America might barely notice
the difference.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting

<jv1psfFi19hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237068&group=rec.food.cooking#237068

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: 3 Dec 2022 20:29:04 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 20:29 UTC

On 2022-12-02, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> It was interesting work, very dangerous and I made good money. The best
> part was that it inspired me to work harder so I would not have to work
> jobs like that in the future.

My summer jobs led me to the same conclusion.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Uh oh, the Rock is erupting