Pete: Waiter, this meat is bad. Waiter: Who told you? Pete: A little swallow.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

SubjectAuthor
* Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayMichael Trew
+* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayEd Pawlowski
|+- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayBruce
|+- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayS Viemeister
|`* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayBryan Simmons
| +- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayBruce
| `* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayProton Pump
|  `- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayBryan Simmons
+- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todayjmcquown
+* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodaySqwertz
`* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todayitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
 +- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayBruce
 +* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayMichael Trew
 |`* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todayitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
 | `* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayBruce
 |  `- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todayitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
 `* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodaySqwertz
  +* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todayitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
  |+* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todaybob
  ||`- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todayitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
  |`- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todaybruce bowser
  `- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayMichael Trew

Pages:12
Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<iPooL.85956$vBI8.10598@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240626&group=rec.food.cooking#240626

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:21:37 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:21 UTC

I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:

https://postimg.cc/9RV6jdtq

Thinking of Joan, butter was $3.29/pack, limit six... so I did the right
thing, and bought six of them. The bone-in spiral ham was on sale at
85c/lb, so I bought it for only $7.49 -- into the freezer. I heard
about this "jasmine rice" on RFC, so I figured that I'd try it. I wish
that they had a smaller container, but they didn't.

None of the meat at the Aldi "spoke to me", so I went to the next plaza
over to a local butcher that I hadn't been to in some time. I was
surprised how affordable the prices were. Bryan might be jealous of the
99 cent/pound chicken wings:

https://postimg.cc/t7cB3dZt

On the receipt, the "chicken" is two packs of the 99c/lb wings (the
sticker was for both packages), "pork" is a pound of bacon, and "beef"
is over a pound of ground chuck, at $3.79/lb.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<pRpoL.85980$vBI8.60344@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240644&group=rec.food.cooking#240644

Subject: Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:32:04 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 21:32 UTC

On 12/20/2022 3:21 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
> spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:
>
> https://postimg.cc/9RV6jdtq
>
> Thinking of Joan, butter was $3.29/pack, limit six... so I did the right
> thing, and bought six of them.  The bone-in spiral ham was on sale at
> 85c/lb, so I bought it for only $7.49 -- into the freezer.  I heard
> about this "jasmine rice" on RFC, so I figured that I'd try it.  I wish
> that they had a smaller container, but they didn't.
>
> None of the meat at the Aldi "spoke to me", so I went to the next plaza
> over to a local butcher that I hadn't been to in some time.  I was
> surprised how affordable the prices were.  Bryan might be jealous of the
> 99 cent/pound chicken wings:

I've not been to Aldis for ten years. The meat spoke to me. It said
"stay away from this brine injected crap".

Maybe it has changed but I've not been inclined to go back. Milk was
nasty too.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<tntb8s$ptoj$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240656&group=rec.food.cooking#240656

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:59:51 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 21:59 UTC

On 12/20/2022 3:21 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
> spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:
>
> https://postimg.cc/9RV6jdtq

It's still sideways. If you use Irfanview you could easily rotate the
image and save it again. :)

Jill
> Thinking of Joan, butter was $3.29/pack, limit six... so I did the right
> thing, and bought six of them.  The bone-in spiral ham was on sale at
> 85c/lb, so I bought it for only $7.49 -- into the freezer.  I heard
> about this "jasmine rice" on RFC, so I figured that I'd try it.  I wish
> that they had a smaller container, but they didn't.
>
> None of the meat at the Aldi "spoke to me", so I went to the next plaza
> over to a local butcher that I hadn't been to in some time.  I was
> surprised how affordable the prices were.  Bryan might be jealous of the
> 99 cent/pound chicken wings:
>
> https://postimg.cc/t7cB3dZt
>
> On the receipt, the "chicken" is two packs of the 99c/lb wings (the
> sticker was for both packages), "pork" is a pound of bacon, and "beef"
> is over a pound of ground chuck, at $3.79/lb.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<k0eqgsFh2m2U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240664&group=rec.food.cooking#240664

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:15:53 +1100
 by: Bruce - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 22:15 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:32:04 -0500, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 12/20/2022 3:21 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
>> spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/9RV6jdtq
>>
>> Thinking of Joan, butter was $3.29/pack, limit six... so I did the right
>> thing, and bought six of them.  The bone-in spiral ham was on sale at
>> 85c/lb, so I bought it for only $7.49 -- into the freezer.  I heard
>> about this "jasmine rice" on RFC, so I figured that I'd try it.  I wish
>> that they had a smaller container, but they didn't.
>>
>> None of the meat at the Aldi "spoke to me", so I went to the next plaza
>> over to a local butcher that I hadn't been to in some time.  I was
>> surprised how affordable the prices were.  Bryan might be jealous of the
>> 99 cent/pound chicken wings:
>
>I've not been to Aldis for ten years. The meat spoke to me. It said
>"stay away from this brine injected crap".

When a wholesaler orders fish fillets from China, they can specify how
many % water they want frozen in and over the fish. 10%, 20%, 30% etc.
Weight is money.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<k0evcgFhrhrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240679&group=rec.food.cooking#240679

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 23:38:55 +0000
 by: S Viemeister - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 23:38 UTC

On 20/12/2022 21:32, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I've not been to Aldis for ten years.  The meat spoke to me.  It said
> "stay away from this brine injected crap".
>
> Maybe it has changed but I've not been inclined to go back.  Milk was
> nasty too.

I've been to an Aldi.
Once.
I bought 'cheese'. Well that's what it was labeled as.

Lidl, on the other hand has very good cheeses, vegetables, fruit, and
meats, at excellent prices.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<10ps49n25ei8$.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240684&group=rec.food.cooking#240684

From: sqwert...@gmail.invalid (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:59:58 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 23:59 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:21:37 -0500, Michael Trew wrote:

> I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
> spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:

You need to get Irfanview. It allows you to fork MS Paint on the
picture within the program as well as do a shitload of other
things easilly - like rotate.

> https://postimg.cc/9RV6jdtq

Turkey keilbasa in Ohio/PA is firing squad material.

-sw

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<5538d743-2fb0-41d1-9b8d-617173cb4fe5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240691&group=rec.food.cooking#240691

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:19:45 -0800 (PST)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 00:19 UTC

On Tuesday, December 20, 2022 at 3:32:11 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/20/2022 3:21 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> > I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
> > spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:
> >
> > https://postimg.cc/9RV6jdtq
> >
> > Thinking of Joan, butter was $3.29/pack, limit six... so I did the right
> > thing, and bought six of them. The bone-in spiral ham was on sale at
> > 85c/lb, so I bought it for only $7.49 -- into the freezer. I heard
> > about this "jasmine rice" on RFC, so I figured that I'd try it. I wish
> > that they had a smaller container, but they didn't.
> >
> > None of the meat at the Aldi "spoke to me", so I went to the next plaza
> > over to a local butcher that I hadn't been to in some time. I was
> > surprised how affordable the prices were. Bryan might be jealous of the
> > 99 cent/pound chicken wings:

Envious, yes.

> I've not been to Aldis for ten years. The meat spoke to me. It said
> "stay away from this brine injected crap".

It's ALDO, not "Aldis." The Jerry Springer watching crowd
calls it Aldi's.

> Maybe it has changed but I've not been inclined to go back. Milk was
> nasty too.

It's changed a lot, but they do fine without your snooty
ass shopping there.

--Bryan

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<k0f3htFiduiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240698&group=rec.food.cooking#240698

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 11:50:02 +1100
 by: Bruce - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 00:50 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:19:45 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
<bryangsimmons@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 20, 2022 at 3:32:11 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> I've not been to Aldis for ten years. The meat spoke to me. It said
>> "stay away from this brine injected crap".
>>
>It's ALDO, not "Aldis." The Jerry Springer watching crowd
>calls it Aldi's.

And what kind of weirdo calls it ALDO?

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<tntlsc$ptgc$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240704&group=rec.food.cooking#240704

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:00:56 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 01:00 UTC

On 12/20/2022 6:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:21:37 -0500, Michael Trew wrote:
>
>> I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
>> spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:
>
> You need to get Irfanview. It allows you to fork MS Paint on the
> picture within the program as well as do a shitload of other
> things easilly - like rotate.

I mentioned Irfanview to him in another reply. MS Paint is a program
I've not even thought about for 20 years. His image was still sideways
when I viewed it and I really didn't feel like getting a pain in my neck
trying to read the details of the entire thing.

> Turkey keilbasa in Ohio/PA is firing squad material.
>
> -sw

I had to turn my head sideways to see turkey kielbasa on that receipt
and yes, now my neck hurts. ;) Nope, no turkey kielbasa will ever show
up on my grocery store receipt. I don't care how cheap it may be. (I
did not even look at the price.) No ground turkey, either.

Jill

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<6946e185-1dcd-44ce-82dd-b53ef493a6b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240708&group=rec.food.cooking#240708

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:15:27 -0800 (PST)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 01:15 UTC

On Tuesday, December 20, 2022 at 2:21:39 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew wrote:

> I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
> spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:
>
> https://postimg.cc/9RV6jdtq
>
> Thinking of Joan, butter was $3.29/pack, limit six... so I did the right
> thing, and bought six of them. The bone-in spiral ham was on sale at
> 85c/lb, so I bought it for only $7.49 -- into the freezer.

I was at my Aldi yesterday and looked just to see if butter was on sale and
was surprised it wasn't. But last week Kroger had theirs on sale and I picked
up another 3 pounds. I also bought a ham yesterday, but I got one of Aldi's
spiral sliced boneless ones. Maybe I'll cook it Friday, but it was a good price
per pound.

> None of the meat at the Aldi "spoke to me", so I went to the next plaza
> over to a local butcher that I hadn't been to in some time. I was
> surprised how affordable the prices were. Bryan might be jealous of the
> 99 cent/pound chicken wings:
>
> https://postimg.cc/t7cB3dZt

Good price on the chicken wings!!

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<k0f5h4FinhuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240711&group=rec.food.cooking#240711

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 12:23:44 +1100
 by: Bruce - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 01:23 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:15:27 -0800 (PST), "itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net"
<itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 20, 2022 at 2:21:39 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
>> spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/9RV6jdtq
>>
>> Thinking of Joan, butter was $3.29/pack, limit six... so I did the right
>> thing, and bought six of them. The bone-in spiral ham was on sale at
>> 85c/lb, so I bought it for only $7.49 -- into the freezer.
>>
>I was at my Aldi yesterday and looked just to see if butter was on sale and
>was surprised it wasn't. But last week Kroger had theirs on sale and I picked
>up another 3 pounds. I also bought a ham yesterday, but I got one of Aldi's
>spiral sliced boneless ones. Maybe I'll cook it Friday, but it was a good price
>per pound.
>>
>> None of the meat at the Aldi "spoke to me", so I went to the next plaza
>> over to a local butcher that I hadn't been to in some time. I was
>> surprised how affordable the prices were. Bryan might be jealous of the
>> 99 cent/pound chicken wings:
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/t7cB3dZt
>>
>Good price on the chicken wings!!

Yes, imagine the quality! Yumm!

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<YCwoL.115066$gGD7.14760@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240736&group=rec.food.cooking#240736

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 00:14:35 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 05:14 UTC

On 12/20/2022 18:59, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:21:37 -0500, Michael Trew wrote:
>
>> I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
>> spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:
>
> You need to get Irfanview. It allows you to fork MS Paint on the
> picture within the program as well as do a shitload of other
> things easilly - like rotate.

It's weird, because my stupid basic MS paint hasn't failed me before. I
know that I rotated it somehow; I usually do with my pictures... if it
continues to give me fits, I'll try your program.

>> https://postimg.cc/9RV6jdtq
>
> Turkey keilbasa in Ohio/PA is firing squad material.
>
> -sw

LOL!! I was wondering who was going to mention it. It was right next
to the standard pork/beef, and it was the same price. I've never tried
the turkey version, so I figured there's a first time for everything.
It might well be the last time, also, but you never know unless you try.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<DHwoL.14174$Ldj8.1150@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240737&group=rec.food.cooking#240737

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 00:19:34 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 05:19 UTC

On 12/20/2022 20:15, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 20, 2022 at 2:21:39 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> Thinking of Joan, butter was $3.29/pack, limit six... so I did the right
>> thing, and bought six of them. The bone-in spiral ham was on sale at
>> 85c/lb, so I bought it for only $7.49 -- into the freezer.
>>
> I was at my Aldi yesterday and looked just to see if butter was on sale and
> was surprised it wasn't. But last week Kroger had theirs on sale and I picked
> up another 3 pounds. I also bought a ham yesterday, but I got one of Aldi's
> spiral sliced boneless ones. Maybe I'll cook it Friday, but it was a good price
> per pound.

Another three pounds?? Goodness, Joan, LOL. I was down to my last pack
in the freezer, so I grabbed these six to stock up.

The only meat that I got at the Aldi was the ham. I only bought the
spiral boneless because it was at such a huge mark down for that one.
Otherwise, I wouldn't have even bought a ham. I think it is fully
cooked. I'll use it some time this winter, and make the bone into split
pea soup, or something.

>> None of the meat at the Aldi "spoke to me", so I went to the next plaza
>> over to a local butcher that I hadn't been to in some time. I was
>> surprised how affordable the prices were. Bryan might be jealous of the
>> 99 cent/pound chicken wings:
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/t7cB3dZt
>>
> Good price on the chicken wings!!

I was shocked... my guess, is that usually older folks go to a separate
meat market (maybe just in my area), rather than the super market like
everyone else now... the same older folks who remember free/cheap
chicken wings for stock, so they have trouble selling them.

There were about a dozen bags of chicken wings there, roughly $2/bag.
No clue if that's a normal price, or a sale price. I only got two bags,
but Byran might have bought them out, LOL. Everything was reasonable;
I'll make a point to stop back regularly.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<eTwoL.178221$8_id.170179@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240738&group=rec.food.cooking#240738

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 05:31:54 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 05:31 UTC

On 2022-12-21, Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:

> It might well be the last time, also,
> but you never know unless you try.

I know what you mean. I'm trying to work
up my nerve to try David's suggestion of
peanut butter as a hamburger topping.

I'll put a cheese slice on half of it,
just to be fair to cheeseburgers.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<fe009b4e-82a4-4208-8aa6-d946d46fd279n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240740&group=rec.food.cooking#240740

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 22:02:32 -0800 (PST)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 06:02 UTC

On Tuesday, December 20, 2022 at 11:19:36 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew wrote:

> On 12/20/2022 20:15, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> >
> > I was at my Aldi yesterday and looked just to see if butter was on sale and
> > was surprised it wasn't. But last week Kroger had theirs on sale and I picked
> > up another 3 pounds. I also bought a ham yesterday, but I got one of Aldi's
> > spiral sliced boneless ones. Maybe I'll cook it Friday, but it was a good price
> > per pound.
> >
> Another three pounds?? Goodness, Joan, LOL. I was down to my last pack
> in the freezer, so I grabbed these six to stock up.

I've got fruit cake cookies to make in a day or two, I certainly don't want to run out
of butter. 😊 Plus I'll take a pound with me and a dozen eggs when I go to my
nephews house Christmas morning for breakfast.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<k0fmo0Fl42oU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240743&group=rec.food.cooking#240743

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 17:17:32 +1100
 by: Bruce - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 06:17 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 22:02:32 -0800 (PST), "itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net"
<itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 20, 2022 at 11:19:36 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> On 12/20/2022 20:15, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>> >
>> > I was at my Aldi yesterday and looked just to see if butter was on sale and
>> > was surprised it wasn't. But last week Kroger had theirs on sale and I picked
>> > up another 3 pounds. I also bought a ham yesterday, but I got one of Aldi's
>> > spiral sliced boneless ones. Maybe I'll cook it Friday, but it was a good price
>> > per pound.
>> >
>> Another three pounds?? Goodness, Joan, LOL. I was down to my last pack
>> in the freezer, so I grabbed these six to stock up.
>>
>I've got fruit cake cookies to make in a day or two, I certainly don't want to run out
>of butter. 😊 Plus I'll take a pound with me and a dozen eggs when I go to my
>nephews house Christmas morning for breakfast.

What a strange gift. Merry Christmas, here's a pound of butter!

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<ef92920b-f4a0-4143-9c59-24a78e69eab5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240744&group=rec.food.cooking#240744

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 22:34:29 -0800 (PST)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 06:34 UTC

On Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 12:17:42 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 22:02:32 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
> >>
> >I've got fruit cake cookies to make in a day or two, I certainly don't want to run out
> >of butter. 😊 Plus I'll take a pound with me and a dozen eggs when I go to my
> >nephews house Christmas morning for breakfast.
> >
> What a strange gift. Merry Christmas, here's a pound of butter!
>
> Bruce

Not really. There will be a crowd there they will be feeding. It's nice to feel like I am
contributing SOMETHING with the price of eggs and butter these days. Two items
I know they will use.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<oh0vvuja47xo$.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240746&group=rec.food.cooking#240746

From: sqwert...@gmail.invalid (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 02:35:50 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 08:35 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:00:56 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> On 12/20/2022 6:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:21:37 -0500, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
>>> spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:
>>
>> You need to get Irfanview. It allows you to fork MS Paint on the
>> picture within the program as well as do a shitload of other
>> things easilly - like rotate.
>>
> I mentioned Irfanview to him in another reply. MS Paint is a program
> I've not even thought about for 20 years. His image was still sideways
> when I viewed it and I really didn't feel like getting a pain in my neck
> trying to read the details of the entire thing.

I just double click on the picture which forks Irfanview and
rotate it with an "L" or and "R".

>> Turkey keilbasa in Ohio/PA is firing squad material.

> I had to turn my head sideways to see turkey kielbasa on that receipt
> and yes, now my neck hurts. ;) Nope, no turkey kielbasa will ever show
> up on my grocery store receipt. I don't care how cheap it may be. (I
> did not even look at the price.) No ground turkey, either.

Keilbasa and other polish style snausages made of pork and/or
beef) is a Pittsburgh/Eastern Ohio specialty. It shouldn't even
be sold in that region in a turkey version. That's as bad as
"turkey pastrami".

-sw

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<d70qwwvvrk57.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240748&group=rec.food.cooking#240748

From: sqwert...@gmail.invalid (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 02:47:19 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 08:47 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 00:14:35 -0500, Michael Trew wrote:

> On 12/20/2022 18:59, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:21:37 -0500, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
>>> spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:
>>
>> You need to get Irfanview. It allows you to fork MS Paint on the
>> picture within the program as well as do a shitload of other
>> things easilly - like rotate.
>
> It's weird, because my stupid basic MS paint hasn't failed me before. I
> know that I rotated it somehow; I usually do with my pictures... if it
> continues to give me fits, I'll try your program.\

I didn't even know you could rotate in MS Paint. I use the
eyedropper and paintbrush to color picker and paintbrush to remove
shmutz on the plate or counter.

And Irfanview to fix colors and brightness.

>>> https://postimg.cc/9RV6jdtq
>>
>> Turkey keilbasa in Ohio/PA is firing squad material.
>>
> LOL!! I was wondering who was going to mention it. It was right next
> to the standard pork/beef, and it was the same price.

Even worse! You're young, you'll hopefully learn. But you should
knwo by now that turkey substituting for beef and pork are always
horrible. As Jill mentioned, Ground Turkey is a perfect example
of pure shit.

-sw

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<1r76pvqq9u55a$.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240749&group=rec.food.cooking#240749

From: sqwert...@gmail.invalid (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 02:58:06 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 08:58 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:15:27 -0800 (PST),
itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:

> I was at my Aldi yesterday and looked just to see if butter was on sale and
> was surprised it wasn't. But last week Kroger had theirs on sale and I picked
> up another 3 pounds. I also bought a ham yesterday, but I got one of Aldi's
> spiral sliced boneless ones. Maybe I'll cook it Friday, but it was a good price
> per pound.

Spiral sliced BONENELSS ham is a big head-scratcher for me.

Every year on the local food group I do a "Don't fall for the
Spiral Sliced Ham Get A free Turkey Promotion at HEB" rant. It
describes why you shouldn't get spiral sliced hams (especially the
overpriced ones at HEB). Some years it goes over better than
others:

https://www.reddit.com/r/austinfood/comments/ywgehj/its_that_time_of_a_year_again_buy_an_heb_ham_get/

Lots of good ham info in that post/thread.

-sw

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<gsAoL.178223$8_id.130728@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240751&group=rec.food.cooking#240751

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:36:12 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:36 UTC

On 2022-12-21, Sqwertz <sqwertzme@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> Keilbasa and other polish style snausages made of pork and/or
> beef) is a Pittsburgh/Eastern Ohio specialty. It shouldn't even
> be sold in that region in a turkey version. That's as bad as
> "turkey pastrami".

I like turkey pastrami and buy it occasionally. I don't think of
it as pastrami. Rather, I think of it as turkey with spices on it.

Likewise, any cut of beef other than brisket isn't really pastrami.
It should be labeled "imitation pastrami" or "pastrami-flavored
top round" or something that warns the hapless customer that
they're not getting the real deal.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<tnuom7$10pgs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240755&group=rec.food.cooking#240755

From: addr...@is.invalid (heyjoe)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 10:55:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: heyjoe - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 10:55 UTC

Sqwertz wrote :

> I didn't even know you could rotate in MS Paint. I use the
> eyedropper and paintbrush to color picker and paintbrush to remove
> shmutz on the plate or counter.
>
> And Irfanview to fix colors and brightness.

What do you use to strip out all the meta data from your pictures?

--
Electric cars are "green" because they move the exhaust pipe
to the generating station.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<IRDoL.49889$Tcw8.23189@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240768&group=rec.food.cooking#240768

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 08:28:08 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 13:28 UTC

On 2022-12-21 12:31 a.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
> On 2022-12-21, Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>
>> It might well be the last time, also,
>> but you never know unless you try.
>
> I know what you mean. I'm trying to work
> up my nerve to try David's suggestion of
> peanut butter as a hamburger topping.

That could be good. I wrote recently about Nasi Goreng at the Dutch
restaurant. It was fried rice with ground beef, a fried egg on top and a
spicy peanut sauce. It was great. I suppose it might clash with the
usual burger toppings.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<tnv28g$11lvt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240770&group=rec.food.cooking#240770

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 08:38:23 -0500
 by: Gary - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 13:38 UTC

On 12/21/2022 12:14 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/20/2022 18:59, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:21:37 -0500, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know what it's sideways; I fixed it in paint... but in the
>>> spirit of the grocery shopping receipt game:
>>
>> You need to get Irfanview.  It allows you to fork MS Paint on the
>> picture within the program as well as do a shitload of other
>> things easilly  - like rotate.
>
> It's weird, because my stupid basic MS paint hasn't failed me before.  I
> know that I rotated it somehow; I usually do with my pictures... if it
> continues to give me fits, I'll try your program.

Any graphic program will rotate a picture - even basic MS Paint.
Sounds like you rotated the picture but forgot to save the new rotated
version.

When you uploaded the picture to postimg image, that should have shown
you the picture along with all the links to it.

I like the alternative Hostpic.org myself for turning pictures into
links. I always choose the 2nd address - "Direct link to the image"

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<eqEoL.21339$Lfzc.6203@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240771&group=rec.food.cooking#240771

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:07:06 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:07 UTC

On 2022-12-21, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 2022-12-21 12:31 a.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
>> On 2022-12-21, Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> It might well be the last time, also,
>>> but you never know unless you try.
>>
>> I know what you mean. I'm trying to work
>> up my nerve to try David's suggestion of
>> peanut butter as a hamburger topping.
>
> That could be good. I wrote recently about Nasi Goreng at the Dutch
> restaurant. It was fried rice with ground beef, a fried egg on top and a
> spicy peanut sauce. It was great. I suppose it might clash with the
> usual burger toppings.

I think I'd prefer Nasi Goreng with pork or chicken in it.

--
Cindy Hamilton

interests / rec.food.cooking / Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today