We all like praise, but a hike in our pay is the best kind of ways.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

SubjectAuthor
* Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayMichael Trew
+* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayEd Pawlowski
|+- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayBruce
|+- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayS Viemeister
|`* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayBryan Simmons
| +- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayBruce
| `* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayProton Pump
|  `- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayBryan Simmons
+- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todayjmcquown
+* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodaySqwertz
`* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todayitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
 +- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayBruce
 +* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayMichael Trew
 |`* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todayitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
 | `* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayBruce
 |  `- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todayitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
 `* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodaySqwertz
  +* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todayitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
  |+* Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todaybob
  ||`- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todayitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
  |`- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Todaybruce bowser
  `- Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market TodayMichael Trew

Pages:12
Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<nvEoL.7003$SdR7.6267@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240773&group=rec.food.cooking#240773

Subject: Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:12:35 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:12 UTC

On 2022-12-21 9:07 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-21, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>

>> That could be good. I wrote recently about Nasi Goreng at the Dutch
>> restaurant. It was fried rice with ground beef, a fried egg on top and a
>> spicy peanut sauce. It was great. I suppose it might clash with the
>> usual burger toppings.
>
> I think I'd prefer Nasi Goreng with pork or chicken in it.

I have only had it with the ground beef but apparently it can be done
with chicken or pork.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<w9FoL.329059$GNG9.165900@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240777&group=rec.food.cooking#240777

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:57:32 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:57 UTC

On 12/21/2022 4:36 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-21, Sqwertz <sqwertzme@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Keilbasa and other polish style snausages made of pork and/or
>> beef) is a Pittsburgh/Eastern Ohio specialty. It shouldn't even
>> be sold in that region in a turkey version. That's as bad as
>> "turkey pastrami".
>
> I like turkey pastrami and buy it occasionally. I don't think of
> it as pastrami. Rather, I think of it as turkey with spices on it.
>
> Likewise, any cut of beef other than brisket isn't really pastrami.
> It should be labeled "imitation pastrami" or "pastrami-flavored
> top round" or something that warns the hapless customer that
> they're not getting the real deal.

I agree with you, but. . .
Seems it is as much a process as a meat if you go back to the origins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastrami

Pastrami (Romanian: pastramă) is a food originating from Romania usually
made from beef brisket, lamb, pork, chicken sometimes from turkey. The
raw meat is brined, partially dried, seasoned with herbs and spices,
then smoked and steamed. Like corned beef, pastrami was originally
created as a way to preserve meat before the invention of refrigeration.
One of the iconic meats of Romanian cuisine as well as American Jewish
cuisine and the New York City cuisine, hot pastrami is typically served
at delicatessen restaurants on sandwiches such as the pastrami on rye.

The name pastrami comes from Romanian pastramă, which is related to the
Turkish pastırma. It is probably derived from the Turkish verb bastırmak
meaning "to press". However, it could also be from the Romanian a păstra
meaning "to keep, preserve".[1][2][3][4] Both of these etymologies are
plausible, but mutually exclusive.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<VmFoL.4094$%os8.978@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240778&group=rec.food.cooking#240778

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:11:49 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:11 UTC

On 2022-12-21, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 2022-12-21 9:07 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-12-21, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>>

>>> That could be good. I wrote recently about Nasi Goreng at the Dutch
>>> restaurant. It was fried rice with ground beef, a fried egg on top and a
>>> spicy peanut sauce. It was great. I suppose it might clash with the
>>> usual burger toppings.
>>
>> I think I'd prefer Nasi Goreng with pork or chicken in it.
>>

> I have only had it with the ground beef but apparently it can be done
> with chicken or pork.

It can be done with anything, really. It's one of those dishes that
can be done with pretty much anything that's on hand.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<WnFoL.4095$%os8.3811@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240779&group=rec.food.cooking#240779

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:12:54 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:12 UTC

On 2022-12-21, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
> On 12/21/2022 4:36 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-12-21, Sqwertz <sqwertzme@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Keilbasa and other polish style snausages made of pork and/or
>>> beef) is a Pittsburgh/Eastern Ohio specialty. It shouldn't even
>>> be sold in that region in a turkey version. That's as bad as
>>> "turkey pastrami".
>>
>> I like turkey pastrami and buy it occasionally. I don't think of
>> it as pastrami. Rather, I think of it as turkey with spices on it.
>>
>> Likewise, any cut of beef other than brisket isn't really pastrami.
>> It should be labeled "imitation pastrami" or "pastrami-flavored
>> top round" or something that warns the hapless customer that
>> they're not getting the real deal.
>>

> I agree with you, but. . .
> Seems it is as much a process as a meat if you go back to the origins

Not denying it's a process. But the only pastrami worth eating is
brisket.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<9f8664c0-6986-43d5-bc67-bf498f6f6a6en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240780&group=rec.food.cooking#240780

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:25:14 -0800 (PST)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:25 UTC

On Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 2:58:11 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:15:27 -0800 (PST),
> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>
> > I got one of Aldi's
> > spiral sliced boneless ones. Maybe I'll cook it Friday, but it was a good price
> > per pound.
> >
> Spiral sliced BONENELSS ham is a big head-scratcher for me.
>
> -sw

It might be a head-scratcher but dang they are goooood. No waste.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<tnvbi6$12jgi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240784&group=rec.food.cooking#240784

From: bobsm...@sympatico.com (bob)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:17:11 -0700
 by: bob - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 16:17 UTC

On 2022-12-21 15:25:14 +0000, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net said:

> On Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 2:58:11 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:15:27 -0800 (PST),
>> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>>
>>> I got one of Aldi's
>>> spiral sliced boneless ones. Maybe I'll cook it Friday, but it was a good price
>>> per pound.
>>>
>> Spiral sliced BONENELSS ham is a big head-scratcher for me.
>>
>> -sw
>>
> It might be a head-scratcher but dang they are goooood. No waste.

They sell a jillion of them a year. Many folks like the convienence.
Worst thing about them IMO is the slices are always too thick.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<tnvdlg$12pur$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240790&group=rec.food.cooking#240790

From: in....@it.or (Proton Pump)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 08:53:07 -0800
 by: Proton Pump - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 16:53 UTC

On 12/20/2022 4:19 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> It's ALDO, not "Aldis."

It's "ALDI." Portmanteau of "Albrecht Diskont." Started in Germany
decades ago, now all over Europe and portions of the USA.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<1440d912-671c-4a5a-8073-f6b0986ef8ean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240792&group=rec.food.cooking#240792

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 08:58:05 -0800 (PST)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 16:58 UTC

On Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 10:17:17 AM UTC-6, bob wrote:

> On 2022-12-21 15:25:14 +0000, itsjoan...@webtv.net said:
>
> > On Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 2:58:11 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> >>
> >> Spiral sliced BONENELSS ham is a big head-scratcher for me.
> >>
> > It might be a head-scratcher but dang they are goooood. No waste.
> >
> They sell a jillion of them a year. Many folks like the convienence.
> Worst thing about them IMO is the slices are always too thick.

This is my first time with an Aldi (Appleton Farms) boneless ham. When
I open it I'll see how thick the slices are. Some are just too thin to me.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<%WGoL.85635$9sn9.14884@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240793&group=rec.food.cooking#240793

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 16:58:35 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 16:58 UTC

On 2022-12-21, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 2022-12-21 12:31 a.m., Mike Duffy wrote:

>> I know what you mean. I'm trying to work
>> up my nerve to try David's suggestion of
>> peanut butter as a hamburger topping.

> That could be good. I wrote recently about Nasi Goreng

Sorry, I thought it was you that suggested
peanut butter on a burger. Maybe it was Gary.

I know I love PB & bacon with banana.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<3d964d97-ad67-4f0c-bd11-9f053ff3823bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240804&group=rec.food.cooking#240804

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:53:14 -0800 (PST)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 17:53 UTC

On Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 10:53:09 AM UTC-6, Proton Pump wrote:
> On 12/20/2022 4:19 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
> > It's ALDO, not "Aldis."
> It's "ALDI." Portmanteau of "Albrecht Diskont." Started in Germany
> decades ago, now all over Europe and portions of the USA.

Typo on my part. I shop at ALDI several times a week.

--Bryan

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<8923f0a0-43ee-473a-bee8-8454d6457913n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240805&group=rec.food.cooking#240805

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:55:12 -0800 (PST)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 17:55 UTC

On Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 7:28:14 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-12-21 12:31 a.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
> > On 2022-12-21, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
> >
> >> It might well be the last time, also,
> >> but you never know unless you try.
> >
> > I know what you mean. I'm trying to work
> > up my nerve to try David's suggestion of
> > peanut butter as a hamburger topping.
> That could be good. I wrote recently about Nasi Goreng at the Dutch
> restaurant.

I'm surprised that the Dutch would name a
dish after Reichsmarshall Goring, but I guess
it's like General Tso.

--Bryan

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<k0h15bFrc5dU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240817&group=rec.food.cooking#240817

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 05:21:25 +1100
 by: Bruce - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 18:21 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:07:06 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2022-12-21, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> I know what you mean. I'm trying to work
>>> up my nerve to try David's suggestion of
>>> peanut butter as a hamburger topping.
>>
>> That could be good. I wrote recently about Nasi Goreng at the Dutch
>> restaurant. It was fried rice with ground beef, a fried egg on top and a
>> spicy peanut sauce. It was great. I suppose it might clash with the
>> usual burger toppings.
>
>I think I'd prefer Nasi Goreng with pork or chicken in it.

lol

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<k0h197Frc5dU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240818&group=rec.food.cooking#240818

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 05:23:30 +1100
 by: Bruce - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 18:23 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:12:35 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-12-21 9:07 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-12-21, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>>

>>> That could be good. I wrote recently about Nasi Goreng at the Dutch
>>> restaurant. It was fried rice with ground beef, a fried egg on top and a
>>> spicy peanut sauce. It was great. I suppose it might clash with the
>>> usual burger toppings.
>>
>> I think I'd prefer Nasi Goreng with pork or chicken in it.
>
>I have only had it with the ground beef but apparently it can be done
>with chicken or pork.

Yes, of course, You don't put in beef. You put in chicken or pork
instead. Or prawns. It's not rocket science. A friend of mine once
forgot to buy the meat when I had dinner there. He used apple instead.
Now that's weird. Or creative.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<k0h1r0Frc5dU10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240822&group=rec.food.cooking#240822

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 05:32:59 +1100
 by: Bruce - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 18:32 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:55:12 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
<bryangsimmons@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 7:28:14 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

>> > I know what you mean. I'm trying to work
>> > up my nerve to try David's suggestion of
>> > peanut butter as a hamburger topping.
>> That could be good. I wrote recently about Nasi Goreng at the Dutch
>> restaurant.
>>
>I'm surprised that the Dutch would name a
>dish after Reichsmarshall Goring, but I guess
>it's like General Tso.

Ghe ghe.

Nasi goreng means fried rice in Malaysian/Indonesian.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<tnvlp9$13lbs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240826&group=rec.food.cooking#240826

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:11:38 -0500
 by: Gary - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:11 UTC

On 12/21/2022 11:58 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On 2022-12-21, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-12-21 12:31 a.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
>
>>> I know what you mean. I'm trying to work
>>> up my nerve to try David's suggestion of
>>> peanut butter as a hamburger topping.
>
>> That could be good. I wrote recently about Nasi Goreng
>
> Sorry, I thought it was you that suggested
> peanut butter on a burger. Maybe it was Gary.

Not me. I've never even thought about peanut butter on a burger.
It *could* be good though. I'll let you try it first.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<N0JoL.93759$vBI8.69894@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240828&group=rec.food.cooking#240828

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:21:17 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:21 UTC

On 2022-12-21 10:12 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-21, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>>> Likewise, any cut of beef other than brisket isn't really pastrami.
>>> It should be labeled "imitation pastrami" or "pastrami-flavored
>>> top round" or something that warns the hapless customer that
>>> they're not getting the real deal.
>>>

>> I agree with you, but. . .
>> Seems it is as much a process as a meat if you go back to the origins
>
> Not denying it's a process. But the only pastrami worth eating is
> brisket.

The bar here is set by Montreal Smoked Meat, a smoked brisket that a
couple of Montreal delis claim to have created. There are other places
that have tried to replicate it but anyone who travels to Montreal is
encouraged to go to Ben's or to Schwartz's for the best smoked meat.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<rgJoL.67971$MVg8.57970@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240834&group=rec.food.cooking#240834

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:37:59 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:37 UTC

On 2022-12-21, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> I agree with you, but. . .
>>> Seems it is as much a process as a meat if you go back to the origins
>>
>> Not denying it's a process. But the only pastrami worth eating is
>> brisket.
>>

> The bar here is set by Montreal Smoked Meat, a smoked brisket that a
> couple of Montreal delis claim to have created. There are other places
> that have tried to replicate it but anyone who travels to Montreal is
> encouraged to go to Ben's or to Schwartz's for the best smoked meat.

Next time you're in Ann Arbor, stop by Zingerman's deli and let
me know how you like their take on Montreal smoked meat.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<k0h5p8Fs148U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240836&group=rec.food.cooking#240836

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 06:40:18 +1100
 by: Bruce - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:40 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:37:59 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2022-12-21, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> On 2022-12-21 10:12 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> Not denying it's a process. But the only pastrami worth eating is
>>> brisket.
>>>

>> The bar here is set by Montreal Smoked Meat, a smoked brisket that a
>> couple of Montreal delis claim to have created. There are other places
>> that have tried to replicate it but anyone who travels to Montreal is
>> encouraged to go to Ben's or to Schwartz's for the best smoked meat.
>
>Next time you're in Ann Arbor, stop by Zingerman's deli and let
>me know how you like their take on Montreal smoked meat.

After all, we all go to Ann Arbor every now and then.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<kEMoL.17275$rKDc.6200@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240874&group=rec.food.cooking#240874

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 17:28:09 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 23:28 UTC

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-21, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> Not denying it's a process. But the only pastrami worth eating is
>>> brisket.
>>>

>> The bar here is set by Montreal Smoked Meat, a smoked brisket that a
>> couple of Montreal delis claim to have created. There are other places
>> that have tried to replicate it but anyone who travels to Montreal is
>> encouraged to go to Ben's or to Schwartz's for the best smoked meat.
>
> Next time you're in Ann Arbor, stop by Zingerman's deli and let
> me know how you like their take on Montreal smoked meat.

If Popeye were still alive, he would tell both of yoose that only
kosher jewish delis in brooklyn sell this. Everything else should
be tossed out yoose window.

I'm going to fix myself a drink now ... One quart of crystal
palace, with a twist of leftover lemon peel. Then I'm going to
wobble down to tops market to see if they have any good sales. At
least the checkout gals will have tits to gawk at.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<s9PoL.49906$Tcw8.18999@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240919&group=rec.food.cooking#240919

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 21:20:13 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 02:20 UTC

On 12/21/2022 3:47, Sqwertz wrote:

> I didn't even know you could rotate in MS Paint. I use the
> eyedropper and paintbrush to color picker and paintbrush to remove
> shmutz on the plate or counter.
>
> And Irfanview to fix colors and brightness.

You're right.... I remember now; I use the "rotate" button when I open
it with the default "Windows Photo Viewer" (Windows 7), and once I close
the photo viewer, it locks into the correct orientation. That always
works; I have no clue why it reverted upon uploading the receipt pic;
which is still showing as upright on my PC.

I use MS paint to crop the photo, and downsize it by 50 per cent, then
"save as JPEG", so it will take it from a few MB per photo down to XXX
KB, so I can upload a few to several photos at a time with my miserably
slow DSL and not hate myself (upload is 384 Kb/s).

> Even worse! You're young, you'll hopefully learn. But you should
> knwo by now that turkey substituting for beef and pork are always
> horrible.

I had turkey bacon once; never again. I'll probably never have turkey
Kielbasa again, either. I figured that I was setting my self up for
disappointment, but curiosity killed the cat. I chucked it into the
freezer, but I'll report back when I try it... with extra sauerkraut.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<2ePoL.49907$Tcw8.17520@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240921&group=rec.food.cooking#240921

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 21:25:07 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 02:25 UTC

On 12/21/2022 3:58, Sqwertz wrote:

> Every year on the local food group I do a "Don't fall for the
> Spiral Sliced Ham Get A free Turkey Promotion at HEB" rant. It
> describes why you shouldn't get spiral sliced hams (especially the
> overpriced ones at HEB). Some years it goes over better than
> others:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/austinfood/comments/ywgehj/its_that_time_of_a_year_again_buy_an_heb_ham_get/

You posted that here this year, also. I appreciated the info... I only
bought the spiral bone ham for the freezer because it was insanely cheap.

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<3891d905-ccf8-4a8f-b3f9-9ee48643884fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=241006&group=rec.food.cooking#241006

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 09:29:17 -0800 (PST)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 17:29 UTC

On Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 8:20:13 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/21/2022 3:47, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > Even worse! You're young, you'll hopefully learn. But you should
> > knwo by now that turkey substituting for beef and pork are always
> > horrible.
> I had turkey bacon once; never again. I'll probably never have turkey
> Kielbasa again, either.

Substituting turkey for beef or pork in anything is crappy.
People do it for imagined health benefits. Fuck that.

--Bryan

Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today

<2dbcf76f-60b1-47f6-af73-623e1631c31cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=241270&group=rec.food.cooking#241270

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 13:36:22 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:36 UTC

On Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 10:25:18 AM UTC-5, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 2:58:11 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:15:27 -0800 (PST),
> > itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> >
> > > I got one of Aldi's
> > > spiral sliced boneless ones. Maybe I'll cook it Friday, but it was a good price
> > > per pound.
> > >
> > Spiral sliced BONENELSS ham is a big head-scratcher for me.
> >
> > -sw
> >
> It might be a head-scratcher but dang they are goooood. No waste.

I've never tried it, before.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Stopped at the Aldi and Local Meat Market Today