You'd like to do it instantaneously, but that's too slow.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Heard From Sheldon

SubjectAuthor
* Heard From Sheldonjmcquown
+* Re: Heard From SheldonHank Rogers
|`* Re: Heard From SheldonBryan Simmons
| +- Re: Heard From SheldonBryan Simmons
| +* Re: Heard From SheldonMike Duffy
| |+- Re: Heard From SheldonBryan Simmons
| |`- Re: Heard From SheldonMike Duffy
| `* Re: Heard From SheldonMichael Trew
|  `* Re: Heard From SheldonHank Rogers
|   `- Re: Heard From SheldonBryan Simmons
+* Re: Heard From SheldonBruce
+* Re: Heard From Sheldonitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
|`- Re: Heard From Sheldondeltahorse
`- Re: Heard From Sheldoncshenk

Pages:123
Heard From Sheldon

<u6lm8n$1duro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269129&group=rec.food.cooking#269129

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Heard From Sheldon
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:22:28 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 01:22 UTC

He sounds in good spirits and yes, he knows he's not going home. He
says he's very comfortable, has a nice little apartment with a
kitchenette. He also says he has no interest in cooking because they
serve really good food in the dining room.

He practically waxed rhapsodic about the breakfast/brunch. Eggs any way
he wants them. And bacon. Wait, yes I said bacon. Remember how he
used to rail against bacon? Sheldon never disliked bacon. He may have
disliked having to cook it for a bunch of people on a ship decades ago
but he actually likes bacon. Breakfast sausage, too. Oh, and he said
he especially likes their French Toast with pancake syrup. This from
the guy who always said pancakes, waffles and French toast are merely
recepticles for syrup.

He said he does need to use the walker to get around but his wheelchair
is basically a place for him to throw his dirty laundry. Oh, but all
that is taken care of for him.

He said Kathy visits often and takes him out to eat and they go
shopping. She makes sure he has everything he wants. His fridge is
stocked with diet Sprite. I asked if misses having a computer to get
back on RFC. He said maybe, but she's getting him a larger TV and he'd
rather watch 'Animal Planet'.

That's the Sheldon update.

Jill

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<cotjM.7371$pHT8.3889@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269138&group=rec.food.cooking#269138

Subject: Re: Heard From Sheldon
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 20:48:53 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 01:48 UTC

jmcquown wrote:
> He sounds in good spirits and yes, he knows he's not going
> home.  He says he's very comfortable, has a nice little
> apartment with a kitchenette.  He also says he has no interest
> in cooking because they serve really good food in the dining room.
>
> He practically waxed rhapsodic about the breakfast/brunch.
> Eggs any way he wants them.  And bacon.  Wait, yes I said
> bacon.  Remember how he used to rail against bacon?  Sheldon
> never disliked bacon.  He may have disliked having to cook it
> for a bunch of people on a ship decades ago but he actually
> likes bacon.  Breakfast sausage, too.  Oh, and he said he
> especially likes their French Toast with pancake syrup.  This
> from the guy who always said pancakes, waffles and French toast
> are merely recepticles for syrup.
>
> He said he does need to use the walker to get around but his
> wheelchair is basically a place for him to throw his dirty
> laundry.  Oh, but all that is taken care of for him.
>
> He said Kathy visits often and takes him out to eat and they go
> shopping.  She makes sure he has everything he wants.  His
> fridge is stocked with diet Sprite.  I asked if misses having a
> computer to get back on RFC.  He said maybe, but she's getting
> him a larger TV and he'd rather watch 'Animal Planet'.
>
> That's the Sheldon update.
>
> Jill

We should chip in and send him a case of the palace.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<u6lp20$1huf7$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269157&group=rec.food.cooking#269157

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:10:05 +1000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 02:10 UTC

On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:22:28 -0400, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>
wrote:

>He sounds in good spirits and yes, he knows he's not going home. He
>says he's very comfortable, has a nice little apartment with a
>kitchenette. He also says he has no interest in cooking because they
>serve really good food in the dining room.

That's no surprise. I've always said he cooked nursing home food. The
old racist homophobe must feel right at home.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<b57212e1-756f-4ac2-9d2e-3f0cd80fc470n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269185&group=rec.food.cooking#269185

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 22:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 05:50 UTC

On Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 4:10:14 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:22:28 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >He sounds in good spirits and yes, he knows he's not going home. He
> >says he's very comfortable, has a nice little apartment with a
> >kitchenette. He also says he has no interest in cooking because they
> >serve really good food in the dining room.
> That's no surprise. I've always said he cooked nursing home food. The
> old racist homophobe must feel right at home.

I noticed that. There's several folks here ready for institutional food.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<c7890c71-62d7-4a50-98ba-bb6eeec9927bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269189&group=rec.food.cooking#269189

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 03:02:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:02 UTC

On Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 8:49:02 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > He sounds in good spirits and yes, he knows he's not going
> > home. He says he's very comfortable, has a nice little
> > apartment with a kitchenette. He also says he has no interest
> > in cooking because they serve really good food in the dining room.
> >
> > He practically waxed rhapsodic about the breakfast/brunch.
> > Eggs any way he wants them. And bacon. Wait, yes I said
> > bacon. Remember how he used to rail against bacon? Sheldon
> > never disliked bacon. He may have disliked having to cook it
> > for a bunch of people on a ship decades ago but he actually
> > likes bacon. Breakfast sausage, too. Oh, and he said he
> > especially likes their French Toast with pancake syrup. This
> > from the guy who always said pancakes, waffles and French toast
> > are merely recepticles for syrup.
> >
> > He said he does need to use the walker to get around but his
> > wheelchair is basically a place for him to throw his dirty
> > laundry. Oh, but all that is taken care of for him.
> >
> > He said Kathy visits often and takes him out to eat and they go
> > shopping. She makes sure he has everything he wants. His
> > fridge is stocked with diet Sprite. I asked if misses having a
> > computer to get back on RFC. He said maybe, but she's getting
> > him a larger TV and he'd rather watch 'Animal Planet'.

One can buy a computer that is perfectly adequate for
newsgroups and simple browsing for almost nothing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155503441656?hash=item2434ba36f8:g:DFgAAOSwh4RkOFy5

> > That's the Sheldon update.
> >
> > Jill
> We should chip in and send him a case of the palace.

The sausage is "mystery meat," and no doubt the pepper has
mouse turds in it. And then there's the "floor sweepings" in
the coffee, but I guess that invalids can't be choosers.

--Bryan

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<0833mj-463.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269205&group=rec.food.cooking#269205

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 06:35:12 -0400
 by: songbird - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:35 UTC

dsi1 wrote:
> I noticed that. There's several folks here ready for institutional food.

if done with care it can be acceptable and sometimes
even exceptional.

songbird

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<e09ca225-4978-4411-9198-8b59eec1401en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269215&group=rec.food.cooking#269215

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 04:17:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:17 UTC

On Sunday, June 18, 2023 at 5:17:42 AM UTC-5, GM wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:

> > One can buy a computer that is perfectly adequate for
> > newsgroups and simple browsing for almost nothing.
> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/155503441656?hash=item2434ba36f8:g:DFgAAOSwh4RkOFy5

> > > We should chip in and send him a case of the palace.
> > >
> > The sausage is "mystery meat," and no doubt the pepper has
> > mouse turds in it. And then there's the "floor sweepings" in
> > the coffee, but I guess that invalids can't be choosers.
> I'm just hoping that Our Old Sailor is ogling, and even "feeling up" all those sexy big - bazoomed nurses, lol...

Maybe he could hire a visiting *wet* nurse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_lactation#Japan

> --
> GM

--Bryan

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<u6mqat$1l6ac$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269219&group=rec.food.cooking#269219

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 07:38:05 -0400
 by: Gary - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:38 UTC

On 6/18/2023 6:35 AM, songbird wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> I noticed that. There's several folks here ready for institutional food.
>
> if done with care it can be acceptable and sometimes
> even exceptional.

I agree with you. It all depends on who is doing the cooking.
Many here have stated that they always hated school lunches back in the
day. NOT ME! I loved most of it.

Much better than some bagged lunch from home and our "lunch ladies" did
a good job.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<u6mr1m$1l84q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269222&group=rec.food.cooking#269222

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 21:50:11 +1000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:50 UTC

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 07:38:05 -0400, Gary <g.majors@att.net> wrote:

>On 6/18/2023 6:35 AM, songbird wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>> I noticed that. There's several folks here ready for institutional food.
>>
>> if done with care it can be acceptable and sometimes
>> even exceptional.
>
>I agree with you. It all depends on who is doing the cooking.
>Many here have stated that they always hated school lunches back in the
>day. NOT ME! I loved most of it.

But you love everything. You may have tribal memories of the Irish
potato famine in your genes. Any food is good food to you.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<97st8ih1bu6njkbfqagimoll29itgqinmm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269225&group=rec.food.cooking#269225

From: lucre...@florence.it
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 09:01:49 -0300
 by: lucre...@florence.it - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:01 UTC

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 06:35:12 -0400, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>> I noticed that. There's several folks here ready for institutional food.
>
> if done with care it can be acceptable and sometimes
>even exceptional.
>

> songbird

I have a friend in a home, pricey one, and I had lunch there with her
one day. The food was better than some restaurants but the noise
level was horrendous! Mostly because many of the residents had
forgotten to put their hearing aids in :( There was also a man in a
wheelchair who kept whizzing around bugging people at other tables
etc. The home is advertised as having lots of entertainment but
most residents sit there completely blank.

The best of food could not make up for all the rest of the horror, it
probably was not even appreciated by the residents :(

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<kf8ahhF1mqkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269226&group=rec.food.cooking#269226

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:10:25 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:10 UTC

On 18/06/2023 12:38, Gary wrote:
> On 6/18/2023 6:35 AM, songbird wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>> I noticed that. There's several folks here ready for institutional food.
>>
>>    if done with care it can be acceptable and sometimes
>> even exceptional.
>
> I agree with you. It all depends on who is doing the cooking.
> Many here have stated that they always hated school lunches back in the
> day.  NOT ME! I loved most of it.

Yes, some school lunches can be very good.
When I worked at the University of Edinburgh, I had faculty privileges
in the dining room/cafeteria of the Scottish Agricultural College. Much
of the food was sourced from the College's farms - fresh and delicious.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<u6msft$1lbfs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269228&group=rec.food.cooking#269228

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 08:14:53 -0400
 by: Gary - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:14 UTC

On 6/18/2023 7:50 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 07:38:05 -0400, Gary <g.majors@att.net> wrote:

>>> if done with care it can be acceptable and sometimes
>>> even exceptional.
>>
>> I agree with you. It all depends on who is doing the cooking.
>> Many here have stated that they always hated school lunches back in the
>> day. NOT ME! I loved most of it.
>
> But you love everything. You may have tribal memories of the Irish
> potato famine in your genes. Any food is good food to you.

And if you think about it, doesn't that make me luckier than the average
person. Not very picky at all.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<mc93mj-8b6.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269232&group=rec.food.cooking#269232

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 08:20:06 -0400
 by: songbird - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:20 UTC

Bruce wrote:
> But you love everything. You may have tribal memories of the Irish
> potato famine in your genes. Any food is good food to you.

haha! i'd almost agree to that, but now i'd say i've
definitely gotten more spoiled as i've been able to grow
more of my own food and also to cook more for myself.

i also don't mind keeping it simple. this morning i
think breakfast will be an apple and some peanut butter.

songbird

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<7993mj-8b6.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269233&group=rec.food.cooking#269233

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 08:18:15 -0400
 by: songbird - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:18 UTC

Gary wrote:
> On 6/18/2023 6:35 AM, songbird wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>> I noticed that. There's several folks here ready for institutional food.
>>
>> if done with care it can be acceptable and sometimes
>> even exceptional.
>
> I agree with you. It all depends on who is doing the cooking.
> Many here have stated that they always hated school lunches back in the
> day. NOT ME! I loved most of it.

on campus at college i lived in a residence hall for a
combined stay of about 6-7 years and one of the benefits
was free meals in the cafeteria when it was open. i knew
the cooks very well and spent some time on the "Food
Advisory Committee" or whatever it was called. i also
volunteered sometimes in the summer to help clean up and
run the dishwasher (and wash some things by hand).

> Much better than some bagged lunch from home and our "lunch ladies" did
> a good job.

high school was not great food, but it was edible, but
by far college was better, they had a salad bar along with
the more normal stuff on the line, but they did care to
make it decently and tried different things. the other
positive aspect was that it was the smaller of the
residence halls so the cafeteria was not having to
serve as many people as the larger ones. it gave them
a bit more time and less demand so they could be more
creative and also able to source things in smaller
quantities and not have it go to waste, etc.

growing up somewhat hungry and on the poorer side of
things at times i was never one to argue if it was food
and reasonably edible. i'd say most of it was good to
great, 10% exceptional, rarely something i would discard.
steak nights were nice changes, but they also did some
other event meals to break it up and tried to keep it
interesting.

high school, in comparison, was edible, but it was
rarely exceptional. it was usually just fuel to get
through the day.

songbird

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<gADjM.6727$Vpga.3153@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269242&group=rec.food.cooking#269242

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:24:28 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:24 UTC

On 2023-06-18, GM wrote:

> I'm just hoping that Our Old Sailor
> is ogling, and even "feeling up" all
> those sexy big - bazoomed nurses, lol...

And you expect us to believe you are gay?

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<48214262-cac4-426f-a497-68142d787c3bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269250&group=rec.food.cooking#269250

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 06:55:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:55 UTC

On Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 9:22:37 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> He sounds in good spirits and yes, he knows he's not going home. He
> says he's very comfortable, has a nice little apartment with a
> kitchenette. He also says he has no interest in cooking because they
> serve really good food in the dining room.
>
> He practically waxed rhapsodic about the breakfast/brunch. Eggs any way
> he wants them. And bacon. Wait, yes I said bacon. Remember how he
> used to rail against bacon? Sheldon never disliked bacon. He may have
> disliked having to cook it for a bunch of people on a ship decades ago
> but he actually likes bacon. Breakfast sausage, too. Oh, and he said
> he especially likes their French Toast with pancake syrup. This from
> the guy who always said pancakes, waffles and French toast are merely
> recepticles for syrup.

Jill, right before taking French toast out of the pan, put tons of butter and even some salt in the pan with it. After serving, drench it with syrup. It's the best.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<8eca3048-d6ff-4ef6-8d9a-1cec18ddc353n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269251&group=rec.food.cooking#269251

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 06:57:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:57 UTC

On Sunday, June 18, 2023 at 1:51:01 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 4:10:14 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:22:28 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> > wrote:
> > >He sounds in good spirits and yes, he knows he's not going home. He
> > >says he's very comfortable, has a nice little apartment with a
> > >kitchenette. He also says he has no interest in cooking because they
> > >serve really good food in the dining room.
> > That's no surprise. I've always said he cooked nursing home food. The
> > old racist homophobe must feel right at home.
>
> I noticed that. There's several folks here ready for institutional food.

Its probably just one acting like all those people.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<0348bad4-5074-4fc5-89e4-8dd416a53d80n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269252&group=rec.food.cooking#269252

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 07:07:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:07 UTC

On Sunday, June 18, 2023 at 8:55:59 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 9:22:37 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> > He sounds in good spirits and yes, he knows he's not going home. He
> > says he's very comfortable, has a nice little apartment with a
> > kitchenette. He also says he has no interest in cooking because they
> > serve really good food in the dining room.
> >
> > He practically waxed rhapsodic about the breakfast/brunch. Eggs any way
> > he wants them. And bacon. Wait, yes I said bacon. Remember how he
> > used to rail against bacon? Sheldon never disliked bacon. He may have
> > disliked having to cook it for a bunch of people on a ship decades ago
> > but he actually likes bacon. Breakfast sausage, too. Oh, and he said
> > he especially likes their French Toast with pancake syrup. This from
> > the guy who always said pancakes, waffles and French toast are merely
> > recepticles for syrup.
> Jill, right before taking French toast out of the pan, put tons of butter and even some salt in the pan with it. After serving, drench it with syrup.. It's the best.

My favorite syrup is one part maple, and one to two parts
light corn syrup. 1:1 has more flavor, but 1:2 is thicker, and
that's appealing too. Salted butter doesn't need extra salt,
but unsalted (I call it baking butter) does.

--Bryan

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<6a07900a-2e51-4ca8-b456-7d5f9119e2fan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269255&group=rec.food.cooking#269255

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 07:28:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:28 UTC

On Sunday, June 18, 2023 at 8:28:17 AM UTC-5, GM wrote:
> On Sunday, June 18, 2023 at 8:24:34 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
> > On 2023-06-18, GM wrote:
> >
> > > I'm just hoping that Our Old Sailor
> > > is ogling, and even "feeling up" all
> > > those sexy big - bazoomed nurses, lol...
> > And you expect us to believe you are gay?
> Naw, I simply possess great "empathetic" skills...

I'm hetero, but have been known to joke about reacharounds.

> --
> GM

--Bryan

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<G4FjM.1493$1CTd.1295@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269260&group=rec.food.cooking#269260

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:07:17 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:07 UTC

On 2023-06-18 7:38 a.m., Gary wrote:
> On 6/18/2023 6:35 AM, songbird wrote:

> I agree with you. It all depends on who is doing the cooking.
> Many here have stated that they always hated school lunches back in the
> day.  NOT ME! I loved most of it.
>
> Much better than some bagged lunch from home and our "lunch ladies" did
> a good job.

School lunches??? No such thing in my elementary school. We did have a
cafeteria in my first high school. I only ate there once or twice, but I
only went to that school for three months. We moved and I went to one
high school downtown for one day and then to another one closer to home.
Neither had a real cafeteria, just vending machines. There was a
replacement school being built and there when it opened the next fall
there still no real cafeteria.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<qhFjM.1499$1CTd.950@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269267&group=rec.food.cooking#269267

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:20:53 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:20 UTC

On 2023-06-17 9:22 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> He sounds in good spirits and yes, he knows he's not going home.  He
> says he's very comfortable, has a nice little apartment with a
> kitchenette.  He also says he has no interest in cooking because they
> serve really good food in the dining room.

Thanks for the update. I guess he has given up on RFC.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<u6na64$1mojt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269269&group=rec.food.cooking#269269

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:08:33 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 16:08 UTC

On 6/18/2023 11:20 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2023-06-17 9:22 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> He sounds in good spirits and yes, he knows he's not going home.  He
>> says he's very comfortable, has a nice little apartment with a
>> kitchenette.  He also says he has no interest in cooking because they
>> serve really good food in the dining room.
>
> Thanks for the update.  I guess he has given up on RFC.

I asked if he misses having a computer to post to what he calls "the
cooking group". He said Kathy is getting him a bigger screen TV and he
would rather watch 'Animal Planet'.

Jill

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<13fa9d32-56d5-4737-8407-f852e498b1a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269271&group=rec.food.cooking#269271

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 09:19:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 16:19 UTC

On Sunday, June 18, 2023 at 12:52:39 AM UTC-10, songbird wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > I noticed that. There's several folks here ready for institutional food..
> if done with care it can be acceptable and sometimes
> even exceptional.
>

> songbird

I've eaten at several different retirement homes. Some are better than others. Some places are quite lively places at meal time. Some places are pretty depressing places to eat. It would be great to eat at some places on a regular basis - not for the food but to observe the interactions between the residents.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<4TGjM.9602$8fUf.2355@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269281&group=rec.food.cooking#269281

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 17:09:20 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 17:09 UTC

On 2023-06-18, GM wrote:

> Naw, I simply possess great "empathetic"

Now you're mixing up words. What you should
have said is 'pathetic empathy'.

Re: Heard From Sheldon

<N6HjM.404$o5e9.318@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269283&group=rec.food.cooking#269283

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:26:05 -0400
 by: Ed P - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 17:26 UTC

On 6/18/2023 12:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/18/2023 11:20 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> Thanks for the update.  I guess he has given up on RFC.
>>

> I asked if he misses having a computer to post to what he calls "the
> cooking group".  He said Kathy is getting him a bigger screen TV and he
> would rather watch 'Animal Planet'.
>
> Jill

Is there a difference?