One Bell System - it sometimes works.

interests / soc.culture.china / [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?

SubjectAuthor
* [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?ltlee1
`* Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?vonnie
 +* Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?ltlee1
 |`* Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?rezinki
 | `* Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?ltlee1
 |  `* Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?kitaro.
 |   +- Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?kitaro.
 |   `* Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?ltlee1
 |    +- Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?kitaro.
 |    `- Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?kitaro.
 `- Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?Rusty Wyse

1
[Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?

<793a6510-200b-49f3-a2cf-cb3926df6b9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3563&group=soc.culture.china#3563

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 05:52:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 12:52 UTC

On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 2:51:11 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> "At a time when democracy and markets are increasingly seen in the West as unable to cope with issues of inequality, identity, and climate change, they have become Burma’s only prescription for the future. Twentieth-century solutions are being offered as the default answers to the country’s 21st-century challenges.
>
> The critical questions are not discussed. Burma will before long bear the brunt of rising sea levels, unbearably hot summers, and more-frequent extreme weather, including cyclones like Nargis. China and India’s gargantuan economies next door may be friends or foes. With automation and a changing pattern of global consumption, the world may soon have no need for Burma’s cheap labor or even its natural resources: the ladder of export-oriented growth so successfully climbed by other Asian countries may soon be a ladder to nowhere. So what economic future is possible? What economy can overtake the pull of methamphetamine production and other illicit industries, withstand climate change, and make possible free and dignified lives for tens of millions of people? As importantly, if given a real choice, what kind of life would Burmese people want to live: the lives of other Asian consumers, or something different?
>
> In the meantime, the plight of the poor in Burma continues to be ignored with impunity. Western sanctions, which included aid cut-offs, destroyed the lives of millions, but on this there has been no quest for accountability.. Sanctions during the 1990s and 2000s did nothing to compel the generals in a liberal direction and, if anything, have made any transition to a better future more difficult.
>
> ... We risk a failed state in the heart of Asia.
>
> Burma is running out of time. The country needs a radical agenda to fight inequality and prepare for the climate emergency to come. It needs as well a new story that embraces its diversity, celebrates its natural environment, and aspires to a new way of life. Perhaps most of all, Burma needs a new project of the imagination." (The Hidden History of Burma)

Thant Myint-U warned about Fail State Myanmar about 18 months ago.
Posters of this forum in general expressed disbelief. Because Myanmar had a Democracy voted in by the people free and fair.
Today, Fail State Myanmar is a reality.

What does Myanmar need?
The title of his New York Times article made it clear: "Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy."

"Myanmar needs a fresh path to democracy. Free and fair elections (and respect for the results) are essential. But also essential is the transformation of a society shaped by decades of dictatorship, international isolation, brutal armed conflict, racial and religious discrimination, extreme poverty and widening inequality. A narrow focus on political change will mean only the continued military domination of this country of 54 million people.
What’s important, too, at this moment of crisis is to recognize the depth of Myanmar’s challenges and to understand that progress toward democracy is impossible without progress on a range of fronts, from racial discrimination and violent conflict to inequality and underdevelopment. The outside world can help by ensuring that ordinary people’s lives and livelihoods are protected, and by encouraging this broader focus on the need for social and economic as well as political change.

A desperately poor and unequal country at war with itself won’t produce anything other than a facade of democracy. The aim should be not the hybrid constitution of the past decade but a fairer and more democratic society for all of Myanmar’s people."

Voting can certainly produce a facade of democracy. But that will also mark the end point of fair and free election. Indeed the world, as well as Myanmar, needs new path to democracy. 20th century Western orthodox democracy cannot handle the challenge of 21st century problem. Myanmar is exhibit #1.. Strong government with the ability to plan, deploy and execute tough reform wholesale is a must for true democracy.

Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?

<sd3uuf$t57$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3584&group=soc.culture.china#3584

From: von...@vonnie.co.kr (vonnie)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 21:33:09 +0800
 by: vonnie - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 13:33 UTC

Myanmar people are influenced by America. There is a American editor of the
Myanmar news online now being arrested by Myanmar military leadership for
national security against Myanmar.

Myanmar people do not want democracy but "regulated democracy" which is run
by the elected party leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Regulated democracy is like law and order and development and systems solely
for the people and not for the greedy army generals and other politicians,
and army general and politician in collusions with business people to
corrupt the country and stealing of country assets.

The people prefer the country not to be run by the army, which now,
unfortunately, by military power will hold 70% of the total seats in the
national assembly or parliament or congress, as used in other countries, so
to speak.

That means the military can interfere and interrupt and object any policy or
law that is discussed or presented for national assembly approval.

<8a6e2e22-b551-4be5-81ec-fd8bc5da1714n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3591&group=soc.culture.china#3591

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 08:16:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 15:16 UTC

On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 9:33:06 AM UTC-4, vonnie wrote:
> Myanmar people are influenced by America. There is a American editor of the
> Myanmar news online now being arrested by Myanmar military leadership for
> national security against Myanmar.
>
> Myanmar people do not want democracy but "regulated democracy" which is run
> by the elected party leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
>
> Regulated democracy is like law and order and development and systems solely
> for the people and not for the greedy army generals and other politicians,
> and army general and politician in collusions with business people to
> corrupt the country and stealing of country assets.
>
> The people prefer the country not to be run by the army, which now,
> unfortunately, by military power will hold 70% of the total seats in the
> national assembly or parliament or congress, as used in other countries, so
> to speak.
>
> That means the military can interfere and interrupt and object any policy or
> law that is discussed or presented for national assembly approval.

Not so according to "Myanmar’s Coming Revolution"
By Thant Myint-U July/August 2021
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/burma-myanmar/2021-06-11/myanmars-coming-revolution

"... the reforms begun in 2011 shrank the army’s role in the economy considerably. It lost its privileged access to foreign currency and corporate monopolies. Its share of the national budget was reduced. Moreover, the army no longer had a say in economic policy. Some of its former business partners lost out to newly arrived foreign competition; others thrived in the open environment. But few companies were any longer dependent on the military’s largess.

In the 2010s, the army placed less emphasis on moneymaking and more on the exercise of violence. ...

To some extent, their uncompromising stance found support among the public, as Burmese ethnonationalism flourished on social media, as well as among Buddhist organizations that saw Islam and all things foreign as threats to the conservative order they espoused. ...

But in 2016, after Aung San Suu Kyi’s NLD won a landslide election victory, ... Under the constitution, the army held three ministries—Defense, Home Affairs (which controlled the police), and Border Affairs—as well as a quarter of the seats in parliament. But Aung San Suu Kyi enjoyed real power. Her supermajority meant she could pass any law she wished, as well as control the country’s budget and the entire range of government policy apart from the security issues directly under the military’s purview. "

> [...]
> protected, and by encouraging this broader focus on the need for social and
> economic as well as political change.
>
> A desperately poor and unequal country at war with itself won’t produce
> anything other than a facade of democracy. The aim should be not the hybrid
> constitution of the past decade but a fairer and more democratic society for
> all of Myanmar’s people."
>
> Voting can certainly produce a facade of democracy. But that will also mark
> the end point of fair and free election. Indeed the world, as well as
> Myanmar, needs new path to democracy. 20th century Western orthodox
> democracy cannot handle the challenge of 21st century problem. Myanmar is
> exhibit #1. Strong government with the ability to plan, deploy and execute
> tough reform wholesale is a must for true democracy.

Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?

<4c37e08d-915a-422d-b25b-b7bbef22f7cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3594&group=soc.culture.china#3594

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 08:25:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: yale....@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 15:25 UTC

On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 6:33:06 AM UTC-7, vonnie wrote:
> Myanmar people are influenced by America. There is a American editor of the
> Myanmar news online now being arrested by Myanmar military leadership for
> national security against Myanmar.
>
> Myanmar people do not want democracy but "regulated democracy" which is run
> by the elected party leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
>
> Regulated democracy is like law and order and development and systems solely
> for the people and not for the greedy army generals and other politicians,
> and army general and politician in collusions with business people to
> corrupt the country and stealing of country assets.
>
> The people prefer the country not to be run by the army, which now,
> unfortunately, by military power will hold 70% of the total seats in the
> national assembly or parliament or congress, as used in other countries, so
> to speak.
>
> That means the military can interfere and interrupt and object any policy or
> law that is discussed or presented for national assembly approval.

Forbid the practice of religion, and outlaw Buddhism!!!
Religion is the opium for the masses...

> [...]
> protected, and by encouraging this broader focus on the need for social and
> economic as well as political change.
>
> A desperately poor and unequal country at war with itself won’t produce
> anything other than a facade of democracy. The aim should be not the hybrid
> constitution of the past decade but a fairer and more democratic society for
> all of Myanmar’s people."
>
> Voting can certainly produce a facade of democracy. But that will also mark
> the end point of fair and free election. Indeed the world, as well as
> Myanmar, needs new path to democracy. 20th century Western orthodox
> democracy cannot handle the challenge of 21st century problem. Myanmar is
> exhibit #1. Strong government with the ability to plan, deploy and execute
> tough reform wholesale is a must for true democracy.

Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?

<sd9h0t$g18$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3676&group=soc.culture.china#3676

From: rezi...@rezinkitono.com.qb (rezinki)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 00:12:19 +0800
 by: rezinki - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 16:12 UTC

Even though the real power is Aung San Suu Kyi, the military leadership is
still holding the power to "dethrone" anyone.

His troops and junta still support him with formidable power, too.

Recently the military leader running the country left the country see Putin
in Russia.

After he returned, Russia announced they will support the military reforms
in Myanmar.

The leader also left the country to meet his Asean members in Indonesia and
he privately explained about why he took power over his country, Myanmar.

When he returned to Myanmar announced of their meeting saying they are
pleased with military leader of Myanmar.

In the two external travel visits to Indonesia and Russia, there was not
mounted coup made against him. His plane still lands on their airfield
without any kidnap or assassination that found in other countries.

<78836a78-2fa7-45f5-80a0-42752bea864fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3701&group=soc.culture.china#3701

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 11:43:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 18:43 UTC

On Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 12:12:16 PM UTC-4, rezinki wrote:
> Even though the real power is Aung San Suu Kyi, the military leadership is
> still holding the power to "dethrone" anyone.

Why would the military dethrone Augn San Suu Kyi if democracy the Western way was doing well?
Myamanese loves Aung San Suu Kyi. She is their hero. They voted for her even when the
economy was collapsing and Myanmar was becoming a failed state. That is exactly why
Thant Myint-U, an ultimate insider with access to both Aung San Suu Kyi and the generals was
and is desperately looking for a new path to democracy.

> [...]
> > and
> > economic as well as political change.
> >
> > A desperately poor and unequal country at war with itself won’t produce
> > anything other than a facade of democracy. The aim should be not the
> > hybrid
> > constitution of the past decade but a fairer and more democratic society
> > for
> > all of Myanmar’s people."
> >
> > Voting can certainly produce a facade of democracy. But that will also
> > mark
> > the end point of fair and free election. Indeed the world, as well as
> > Myanmar, needs new path to democracy. 20th century Western orthodox
> > democracy cannot handle the challenge of 21st century problem. Myanmar is
> > exhibit #1. Strong government with the ability to plan, deploy and execute
> > tough reform wholesale is a must for true democracy.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?

<sdhf5d$jcg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3753&group=soc.culture.china#3753

From: toi...@tr.com (kitaro.)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 00:29:33 +0800
 by: kitaro. - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 16:29 UTC

ze caused the displeasure of the general who holds 3 portfolios feels
isolated from the elected government,

The general feels slighted whenever other issues in other portfolios were
not confer and consulted with him and now even approved by him.

As usual, general especially in heading the military junta is not happy when
he feel being distanced and isolated from the main streams affairs that
actually running the country by the elected civilian government.

His power of his chosen 3 portfolios have nothing for him to do or change
nor improved anymore. The 3 portfolios just carry on their mundane job as
though hey still run the military way of life under the military junta.

When he feels isolated and distanced by the main government, he feels not
connected anymore. Hence with slightest chance of election voting complaint,
he would use his military power to seize and arrest the government.

He still thinks he is the military junta and not a minister of those 3
portfolios anymore. He thinks his military junta is still higher than the
other government runs by the civilian party. In short, he thinks his 4
portfolios is not equal to the other portfolios held by the other
government.

Henceforth, the seizure of the elected government is the only way to correct
the not-connected by the elected government.

Seriously, if one were to run the government, one should also put the
general on a creation of unique top civilian government posts for him, such
as vice president of the country, or senior minister, or deputy prime
minister, or special advisor to the prime minister or president.

It is like one owning a company would put his himself as chairman, and CEO
or managing director, and his wife as president or vice president or special
advisor. This is ensure the wife is recognise as participatory minister on
other portfolios as well.

Henceforth, the only way to resolve the current crises, is to put the
general to newly created title in the civilian government.

<sdhfs5$o9i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3754&group=soc.culture.china#3754

From: toi...@tr.com (kitaro.)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 00:41:42 +0800
 by: kitaro. - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 16:41 UTC

Missing first line read: The government caused the displeasure of the

"ltlee1" wrote in message

> [...]

> > anything other than a facade of democracy. The aim should be not the
> > hybrid
> > constitution of the past decade but a fairer and more democratic society
> > for
> > all of Myanmar’s people."
> >
> > Voting can certainly produce a facade of democracy. But that will also
> > mark
> > the end point of fair and free election. Indeed the world, as well as
> > Myanmar, needs new path to democracy. 20th century Western orthodox
> > democracy cannot handle the challenge of 21st century problem. Myanmar
> > is
> > exhibit #1. Strong government with the ability to plan, deploy and
> > execute
> > tough reform wholesale is a must for true democracy.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?

<e52fc995-0d2b-4530-be93-ef7348f5e46an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3816&group=soc.culture.china#3816

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!news.dns-netz.com!news.freedyn.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!feeder5.feed.usenet.farm!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc3.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:56:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:56 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 12:29:36 PM UTC-4, kitaro. wrote:
> ze caused the displeasure of the general who holds 3 portfolios feels
> isolated from the elected government,

You are assuming the generals are not professional. They limited portfolios
made them felt isolated and they took over the government with a coup.

Yes, all humans are selfish. Every single one including myself. I have no problem
with that. But then one cannot just stop there and base every judgement on that.
Do you not know that they used to have a lot more control but voluntarily shrunk
their role in the economy of the country? In addition, unlike general elsewhere,
these generals have not travel abroad, lived abroad or have foreign accounts per
Thant Myint-U.

Well, these generals not DEFINITIVELY not playing by the rule. But I would not
attribute their action TOTALLY on not satisfied with their limited portfolio. At least
not now.

Let me quote from Thant Myint-U's Foreign Affairs article:

"BREAKING FREE FROM THE PAST
A deep crisis can be an opportunity for radical change. Ongoing efforts by elected members of parliament, civil society groups, and emerging protest networks across the country to break through entrenched ethnic divides represent a seismic shift, one that might eventually do what the democratic thaw of the last decade could not: overcome the legacy of colonial-era racism and a century of ethno-nationalist politics, end discrimination, and foster a new multicultural national identity. Equally important will be a reimagining of the economy, turning it away from a reliance on the market liberalization that yielded the extreme inequality of past decades and toward a new welfare state and the kinds of structural transformations that could create inclusive, dynamic development."

Again, the issues Myanmar currently are issues from its colonial past. Myanmar needs
a break through.
"Ongoing efforts ... might eventually do what the democratic thaw of the last decade could not: ..."

One way to read the above, Myanmar Democracy and its democratic leaders MIGHT not have the will
and/or the support to undergo certain really tough Reform Wholesale. May be it is time for the "BAD
GUYs" do these "BAD" things.

> [...]
> > > anything other than a facade of democracy. The aim should be not the
> > > hybrid
> > > constitution of the past decade but a fairer and more democratic society
> > > for
> > > all of Myanmar’s people."
> > >
> > > Voting can certainly produce a facade of democracy. But that will also
> > > mark
> > > the end point of fair and free election. Indeed the world, as well as
> > > Myanmar, needs new path to democracy. 20th century Western orthodox
> > > democracy cannot handle the challenge of 21st century problem. Myanmar
> > > is
> > > exhibit #1. Strong government with the ability to plan, deploy and
> > > execute
> > > tough reform wholesale is a must for true democracy.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: [Myanmar Needs a New Kind of Democracy] Re: Failed State Myanmar?

<sdsu7e$va9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3910&group=soc.culture.china#3910

From: toi...@tr.com (kitaro.)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 08:54:06 +0800
 by: kitaro. - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 00:54 UTC

<sdt0ot$tbh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3911&group=soc.culture.china#3911

From: toi...@tr.com (kitaro.)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 09:37:38 +0800
 by: kitaro. - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 01:37 UTC

It is more a militaristic cultural problem inbred and ingrained in the
governing of a country for many years since 73 years ago.

Seriously, the military leadership is not corrupt as what foreign media
would paint them. The military junta never steps out of the county, and they
will not have any corrupt money stash abroad.