That that is is that that is not is not.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundPete Gayde
`- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundMark Brader

1
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<LoecnWJGRb2_-37_nZ2dnZfqn_jNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4066&group=rec.games.trivia#4066

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 04:46:26 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 04:46 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Various Scientific Trivia

1. Disregarding the temporary symbols used for elements not yet
confirmed as discovered or synthesized, there """are""" two
letters of the alphabet that don't appear in any element symbols
in the periodic table. Name *both*.

2. What is unique in the human body about the hyoid bone?

3. If you are exploring an ocean reef at 33 feet (10 m) below the
surface of the water, how many atmospheres of total pressure
are you experiencing?

4. What Canadian is known as the "father of modern medicine"
and the "father of pathology"?

5. John Macleod of Canada won the Nobel prize for the discovery
of what?

6. Name *either one* of the two scientists who announced the
discovery of "cold fusion" in 1989.

7. In what city """is""" Canada's Science and Technology Museum?

8. To continue having marijuana available for research when it was
still illegal to use, the Canadian government decided to grow its
stash in an abandoned mine shaft near a certain Canadian city,
which became known as the marijuana-growing capital of Canada.
Then the operation was moved to an undisclosed location when
more space was needed. Anyway, name the city where the mine was.

9. It is sometimes stated (and it was in the original version of
this question) that Isaac Newton was born the day Galileo died,
although this is the result of a confusion of calendars and
conflicting information. But which British theoretical physicist
and cosmologist actually was born on the 300th anniversary of
Galileo's death?

10. Zoologists honored Hugh Hefner by naming Sylvilagus palustris
hefneri for him. What kind of animal is this?

** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge - Trivial Descriptions

For this week's challenge round, either we give a description
and you name what we are talking about, or you are given a term
and must describe what it means.

* A. Describing Art and Wax

A1. I make a sculpture out of wax; I cover it tightly with a
thick layer of clay. I bake the clay in an oven, where
the wax melts and runs out. I now use the hollow clay as
a mold for liquid bronze, gold, glass, etc., producing
a 3-dimensional object that looks like the original wax
sculpture. What is this technique called?

A2. I coat a metal or glass object with a layer of wax.
I then scrape away some wax to leave a design on the object.
I dip it briefly into a bath of strong acid, which eats away
at the area not covered by wax. After cleaning the wax off,
I now have a pattern on my original object. What is this
process called? Gunsmiths have used it for 400 years.

* B. Describing Scientific Terms

B1. A female Komodo dragon that has been living in a zoo
without contact with other members of her species lays an
egg which hatches and grows to be another female Komodo.
Give the term for this asexual reproduction, where
growth, development, and eventually birth happens without
fertilization.

B2. On a hot day, your son does not fully close the freezer door.
Air constantly circulates into the freezer, where the
rapid temperature drop causes the moisture in the air to
turn directly into a coating of hoar frost. What is the
scientific term for matter transformation directly from gas
to solid without forming a liquid? It is sometimes known as
sublimation (the same as the reverse transformation directly
from solid to gas), but we want the other term that refers
specifically to a transformation *from* gas *to* solid.

* C. Describing Earth-Surface Terminology

C1. If you are a property owner in Northern Ontario, your land
may or may not be rising in value, but it is likely to be
rising in elevation, by 4-8 mm a year, due to "isostatic
rebound". Explain this.

C2. Throughout the Pacific Ring of Fire are found tectonic
subduction zones. Describe what is happening at a subduction
zone.

* D. Describing Canadian Historical/Political Phrases

D1. This term was first coined in the 1983 report "Native
Children and the Child Welfare System". It refers to
the practice, beginning in the 1960s, of apprehending
an unusually high percentage of children from aboriginal
Canadians, usually without prior knowledge or permission of
their families and bands, and adopting them out to white
middle-class families. The victims of this practice were
the subject of numerous news reports, case studies, and
class-action lawsuits in later years. What is the term?

D2. This term was used by Garth Turner in 2006 in conjunction
with the evacuation of Canadian citizens from Lebanon, during
the Israeli-Lebanon crisis. It refers to people who had
emigrated to Canada, obtained citizenship, and then moved
permanently back to their original home country, keeping
their Canadian citizenship as a safety net. Many sources
had used the term before that time, but Turner was the first
MP to use it, questioning the $75,000 cost per evacuee
for people who almost all returned back within a month.
What is the term?

* E. Describing Internet Memes

E1. You go to an interesting or unusual place, and lie face
down on the ground. Your hands must both touch the sides of
your body while lying down. A friend takes a picture of you
while you are face-planted, and uploads it onto the Internet.
What is this fad called? It was featured in an episode of
NBC's "The Office".

E2. You're reading your email, and you open a message from
a friend who includes a link to check out something cool.
It actually sends you to a web site such as youtube, for
the Rick Astley video "Never Gonna Give You Up". Give the
Internet meme term for what has just happened to you.

* F. Tough Descriptions of Sports Rules

F1. The Denver Broncos are approaching the end zone in the last
minute of the game, trailing by 4 points. The quarterback
hands the ball off to a running back, who charges forward.
The running back is hit hard, 10 yards short of the end zone
and fumbles the ball. It squirts into the end zone, where
a Bronco receiver lands on it. The ref says no touchdown.
Explain the specific rule he is thinking of when making
his decision.

F2. In reaction to numerous instances of what they considered
"making a travesty of the game", in 1908 Major League
Baseball instituted rule 7.08i, stating that the bases must
be run in order. But until then, players would sometimes
try to steal *backwards* from second base to first. But why
would anyone want to do this? Okay, it might confuse the
opponents a bit, and one man, Detroit's Germany Schaefer,
allegedly just wanted to improve his base-stealing
statistics. (He remains the last man to successfully
steal first from second.) But for what other *specific
tactical reason* did other players sometimes steal first
base from second?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Where is down special?" ... "Good."
msb@vex.net | "Do you refuse to answer my question?" "Don't know."

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<tbvp9t$dlv$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4067&group=rec.games.trivia#4067

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 04:56:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 04:56 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Various Scientific Trivia

> 1. Disregarding the temporary symbols used for elements not yet
> confirmed as discovered or synthesized, there """are""" two
> letters of the alphabet that don't appear in any element symbols
> in the periodic table. Name *both*.

J and Q

> 2. What is unique in the human body about the hyoid bone?

it's not connected to any other bone

2

> 6. Name *either one* of the two scientists who announced the
> discovery of "cold fusion" in 1989.

Pons

> 7. In what city """is""" Canada's Science and Technology Museum?

Ottawa; Toronto

> 9. It is sometimes stated (and it was in the original version of
> this question) that Isaac Newton was born the day Galileo died,
> although this is the result of a confusion of calendars and
> conflicting information. But which British theoretical physicist
> and cosmologist actually was born on the 300th anniversary of
> Galileo's death?

Hawking

> 10. Zoologists honored Hugh Hefner by naming Sylvilagus palustris
> hefneri for him. What kind of animal is this?

rabbit

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge - Trivial Descriptions

> * A. Describing Art and Wax

> A1. I make a sculpture out of wax; I cover it tightly with a
> thick layer of clay. I bake the clay in an oven, where
> the wax melts and runs out. I now use the hollow clay as
> a mold for liquid bronze, gold, glass, etc., producing
> a 3-dimensional object that looks like the original wax
> sculpture. What is this technique called?

lost-wax method

> A2. I coat a metal or glass object with a layer of wax.
> I then scrape away some wax to leave a design on the object.
> I dip it briefly into a bath of strong acid, which eats away
> at the area not covered by wax. After cleaning the wax off,
> I now have a pattern on my original object. What is this
> process called? Gunsmiths have used it for 400 years.

intaglio

> * B. Describing Scientific Terms

> B1. A female Komodo dragon that has been living in a zoo
> without contact with other members of her species lays an
> egg which hatches and grows to be another female Komodo.
> Give the term for this asexual reproduction, where
> growth, development, and eventually birth happens without
> fertilization.

parthenogenesis

> * C. Describing Earth-Surface Terminology

> C2. Throughout the Pacific Ring of Fire are found tectonic
> subduction zones. Describe what is happening at a subduction
> zone.

one plate is sliding under another

> * D. Describing Canadian Historical/Political Phrases

> D2. This term was used by Garth Turner in 2006 in conjunction
> with the evacuation of Canadian citizens from Lebanon, during
> the Israeli-Lebanon crisis. It refers to people who had
> emigrated to Canada, obtained citizenship, and then moved
> permanently back to their original home country, keeping
> their Canadian citizenship as a safety net. Many sources
> had used the term before that time, but Turner was the first
> MP to use it, questioning the $75,000 cost per evacuee
> for people who almost all returned back within a month.
> What is the term?

convenience Canadians

> * E. Describing Internet Memes

> E1. You go to an interesting or unusual place, and lie face
> down on the ground. Your hands must both touch the sides of
> your body while lying down. A friend takes a picture of you
> while you are face-planted, and uploads it onto the Internet.
> What is this fad called? It was featured in an episode of
> NBC's "The Office".

planking

> E2. You're reading your email, and you open a message from
> a friend who includes a link to check out something cool.
> It actually sends you to a web site such as youtube, for
> the Rick Astley video "Never Gonna Give You Up". Give the
> Internet meme term for what has just happened to you.

rickrolling

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<tbvu9f$3ecb4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4068&group=rec.games.trivia#4068

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 23:21:33 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 06:21 UTC

On 7/28/22 21:46, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Various Scientific Trivia
>
> 1. Disregarding the temporary symbols used for elements not yet
> confirmed as discovered or synthesized, there """are""" two
> letters of the alphabet that don't appear in any element symbols
> in the periodic table. Name *both*.

J, Q

> 2. What is unique in the human body about the hyoid bone?

not touching any other bone

2

> 4. What Canadian is known as the "father of modern medicine"
> and the "father of pathology"?
>
> 5. John Macleod of Canada won the Nobel prize for the discovery
> of what?

insulin

> 6. Name *either one* of the two scientists who announced the
> discovery of "cold fusion" in 1989.

Pons

> 7. In what city """is""" Canada's Science and Technology Museum?

Ottawa

> 8. To continue having marijuana available for research when it was
> still illegal to use, the Canadian government decided to grow its
> stash in an abandoned mine shaft near a certain Canadian city,
> which became known as the marijuana-growing capital of Canada.
> Then the operation was moved to an undisclosed location when
> more space was needed. Anyway, name the city where the mine was.

Sudbury

> 9. It is sometimes stated (and it was in the original version of
> this question) that Isaac Newton was born the day Galileo died,
> although this is the result of a confusion of calendars and
> conflicting information. But which British theoretical physicist
> and cosmologist actually was born on the 300th anniversary of
> Galileo's death?

Hawking

> 10. Zoologists honored Hugh Hefner by naming Sylvilagus palustris
> hefneri for him. What kind of animal is this?

rabbit

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge - Trivial Descriptions
>
> For this week's challenge round, either we give a description
> and you name what we are talking about, or you are given a term
> and must describe what it means.
>
> * A. Describing Art and Wax
>
> A1. I make a sculpture out of wax; I cover it tightly with a
> thick layer of clay. I bake the clay in an oven, where
> the wax melts and runs out. I now use the hollow clay as
> a mold for liquid bronze, gold, glass, etc., producing
> a 3-dimensional object that looks like the original wax
> sculpture. What is this technique called?

lost wax casting

> A2. I coat a metal or glass object with a layer of wax.
> I then scrape away some wax to leave a design on the object.
> I dip it briefly into a bath of strong acid, which eats away
> at the area not covered by wax. After cleaning the wax off,
> I now have a pattern on my original object. What is this
> process called? Gunsmiths have used it for 400 years.

acid etching

> * B. Describing Scientific Terms
>
> B1. A female Komodo dragon that has been living in a zoo
> without contact with other members of her species lays an
> egg which hatches and grows to be another female Komodo.
> Give the term for this asexual reproduction, where
> growth, development, and eventually birth happens without
> fertilization.

parthenogenesis

> B2. On a hot day, your son does not fully close the freezer door.
> Air constantly circulates into the freezer, where the
> rapid temperature drop causes the moisture in the air to
> turn directly into a coating of hoar frost. What is the
> scientific term for matter transformation directly from gas
> to solid without forming a liquid? It is sometimes known as
> sublimation (the same as the reverse transformation directly
> from solid to gas), but we want the other term that refers
> specifically to a transformation *from* gas *to* solid.
>

> * C. Describing Earth-Surface Terminology
>
> C1. If you are a property owner in Northern Ontario, your land
> may or may not be rising in value, but it is likely to be
> rising in elevation, by 4-8 mm a year, due to "isostatic
> rebound". Explain this.

During the ice age, thick glaciers pushed the land downward. After the
ice melted, the land is returning to its original height.

> C2. Throughout the Pacific Ring of Fire are found tectonic
> subduction zones. Describe what is happening at a subduction
> zone.

Oceanic crust is being over ridden by continental crust, so it dives to
into the mantle. Eventually, it gets to a hot enough level that it melts
and returns to the surface as lava in volcanic eruptions.

> * D. Describing Canadian Historical/Political Phrases
>
> D1. This term was first coined in the 1983 report "Native
> Children and the Child Welfare System". It refers to
> the practice, beginning in the 1960s, of apprehending
> an unusually high percentage of children from aboriginal
> Canadians, usually without prior knowledge or permission of
> their families and bands, and adopting them out to white
> middle-class families. The victims of this practice were
> the subject of numerous news reports, case studies, and
> class-action lawsuits in later years. What is the term?
>
> D2. This term was used by Garth Turner in 2006 in conjunction
> with the evacuation of Canadian citizens from Lebanon, during
> the Israeli-Lebanon crisis. It refers to people who had
> emigrated to Canada, obtained citizenship, and then moved
> permanently back to their original home country, keeping
> their Canadian citizenship as a safety net. Many sources
> had used the term before that time, but Turner was the first
> MP to use it, questioning the $75,000 cost per evacuee
> for people who almost all returned back within a month.
> What is the term?
>

> * E. Describing Internet Memes
>
> E1. You go to an interesting or unusual place, and lie face
> down on the ground. Your hands must both touch the sides of
> your body while lying down. A friend takes a picture of you
> while you are face-planted, and uploads it onto the Internet.
> What is this fad called? It was featured in an episode of
> NBC's "The Office".
>
> E2. You're reading your email, and you open a message from
> a friend who includes a link to check out something cool.
> It actually sends you to a web site such as youtube, for
> the Rick Astley video "Never Gonna Give You Up". Give the
> Internet meme term for what has just happened to you.

rickrolling

> * F. Tough Descriptions of Sports Rules
>
> F1. The Denver Broncos are approaching the end zone in the last
> minute of the game, trailing by 4 points. The quarterback
> hands the ball off to a running back, who charges forward.
> The running back is hit hard, 10 yards short of the end zone
> and fumbles the ball. It squirts into the end zone, where
> a Bronco receiver lands on it. The ref says no touchdown.
> Explain the specific rule he is thinking of when making
> his decision.

A fumble into the endzone is a touchback

> F2. In reaction to numerous instances of what they considered
> "making a travesty of the game", in 1908 Major League
> Baseball instituted rule 7.08i, stating that the bases must
> be run in order. But until then, players would sometimes
> try to steal *backwards* from second base to first. But why
> would anyone want to do this? Okay, it might confuse the
> opponents a bit, and one man, Detroit's Germany Schaefer,
> allegedly just wanted to improve his base-stealing
> statistics. (He remains the last man to successfully
> steal first from second.) But for what other *specific
> tactical reason* did other players sometimes steal first
> base from second?

Trying to get a throw to first base while a runner on third base scores.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<XnsAEE36751A913BYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4070&group=rec.games.trivia#4070

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 10:09:23 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 08:09 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Various Scientific Trivia
>
> 1. Disregarding the temporary symbols used for elements not yet
> confirmed as discovered or synthesized, there """are""" two
> letters of the alphabet that don't appear in any element symbols
> in the periodic table. Name *both*.

J and Q

> 3. If you are exploring an ocean reef at 33 feet (10 m) below the
> surface of the water, how many atmospheres of total pressure
> are you experiencing?

Two
> 7. In what city """is""" Canada's Science and Technology Museum?

Ottawa
> 9. It is sometimes stated (and it was in the original version of
> this question) that Isaac Newton was born the day Galileo died,
> although this is the result of a confusion of calendars and
> conflicting information. But which British theoretical physicist
> and cosmologist actually was born on the 300th anniversary of
> Galileo's death?

Sagan
> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge - Trivial Descriptions
>
> * C. Describing Earth-Surface Terminology
>
> C1. If you are a property owner in Northern Ontario, your land
> may or may not be rising in value, but it is likely to be
> rising in elevation, by 4-8 mm a year, due to "isostatic
> rebound". Explain this.

The land was depressed by during the ice age due to the heavy weight of the
ice and is still bouncing back.

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<fcdbb358-fc95-4348-8744-3d9f9d3ffdafn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4071&group=rec.games.trivia#4071

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 17:17:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 00:17 UTC

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 11:47:13 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Various Scientific Trivia
>
> 1. Disregarding the temporary symbols used for elements not yet
> confirmed as discovered or synthesized, there """are""" two
> letters of the alphabet that don't appear in any element symbols
> in the periodic table. Name *both*.

J and W
> 5. John Macleod of Canada won the Nobel prize for the discovery
> of what?

insulin

> 9. It is sometimes stated (and it was in the original version of
> this question) that Isaac Newton was born the day Galileo died,
> although this is the result of a confusion of calendars and
> conflicting information. But which British theoretical physicist
> and cosmologist actually was born on the 300th anniversary of
> Galileo's death?

Hawking
> 10. Zoologists honored Hugh Hefner by naming Sylvilagus palustris
> hefneri for him. What kind of animal is this?

rabbit

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge - Trivial Descriptions
>
> For this week's challenge round, either we give a description
> and you name what we are talking about, or you are given a term
> and must describe what it means.
>
> * A. Describing Art and Wax
>
> A2. I coat a metal or glass object with a layer of wax.
> I then scrape away some wax to leave a design on the object.
> I dip it briefly into a bath of strong acid, which eats away
> at the area not covered by wax. After cleaning the wax off,
> I now have a pattern on my original object. What is this
> process called? Gunsmiths have used it for 400 years.

etching

> * B. Describing Scientific Terms
>
> B1. A female Komodo dragon that has been living in a zoo
> without contact with other members of her species lays an
> egg which hatches and grows to be another female Komodo.
> Give the term for this asexual reproduction, where
> growth, development, and eventually birth happens without
> fertilization.

parthenogenesis

> B2. On a hot day, your son does not fully close the freezer door.
> Air constantly circulates into the freezer, where the
> rapid temperature drop causes the moisture in the air to
> turn directly into a coating of hoar frost. What is the
> scientific term for matter transformation directly from gas
> to solid without forming a liquid? It is sometimes known as
> sublimation (the same as the reverse transformation directly
> from solid to gas), but we want the other term that refers
> specifically to a transformation *from* gas *to* solid.

deposition

> * C. Describing Earth-Surface Terminology
>
> C2. Throughout the Pacific Ring of Fire are found tectonic
> subduction zones. Describe what is happening at a subduction
> zone.

one tectonic plate slides under another

> * E. Describing Internet Memes
>
> E1. You go to an interesting or unusual place, and lie face
> down on the ground. Your hands must both touch the sides of
> your body while lying down. A friend takes a picture of you
> while you are face-planted, and uploads it onto the Internet.
> What is this fad called? It was featured in an episode of
> NBC's "The Office".

planking
> E2. You're reading your email, and you open a message from
> a friend who includes a link to check out something cool.
> It actually sends you to a web site such as youtube, for
> the Rick Astley video "Never Gonna Give You Up". Give the
> Internet meme term for what has just happened to you.

rickrolling

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<tc3nri$5an$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4072&group=rec.games.trivia#4072

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:56:19 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 16:56 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Various Scientific Trivia
>
> 1. Disregarding the temporary symbols used for elements not yet
> confirmed as discovered or synthesized, there """are""" two
> letters of the alphabet that don't appear in any element symbols
> in the periodic table. Name *both*.

Q and J

> 2. What is unique in the human body about the hyoid bone?
>
> 3. If you are exploring an ocean reef at 33 feet (10 m) below the
> surface of the water, how many atmospheres of total pressure
> are you experiencing?

2; 3

> 4. What Canadian is known as the "father of modern medicine"
> and the "father of pathology"?
>
> 5. John Macleod of Canada won the Nobel prize for the discovery
> of what?
>
> 6. Name *either one* of the two scientists who announced the
> discovery of "cold fusion" in 1989.
>
> 7. In what city """is""" Canada's Science and Technology Museum?
>
> 8. To continue having marijuana available for research when it was
> still illegal to use, the Canadian government decided to grow its
> stash in an abandoned mine shaft near a certain Canadian city,
> which became known as the marijuana-growing capital of Canada.
> Then the operation was moved to an undisclosed location when
> more space was needed. Anyway, name the city where the mine was.

Edmonton; Vancouver

> 9. It is sometimes stated (and it was in the original version of
> this question) that Isaac Newton was born the day Galileo died,
> although this is the result of a confusion of calendars and
> conflicting information. But which British theoretical physicist
> and cosmologist actually was born on the 300th anniversary of
> Galileo's death?

Hawking

> 10. Zoologists honored Hugh Hefner by naming Sylvilagus palustris
> hefneri for him. What kind of animal is this?

Rabbit

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge - Trivial Descriptions
>
> For this week's challenge round, either we give a description
> and you name what we are talking about, or you are given a term
> and must describe what it means.
>
> * A. Describing Art and Wax
>
> A1. I make a sculpture out of wax; I cover it tightly with a
> thick layer of clay. I bake the clay in an oven, where
> the wax melts and runs out. I now use the hollow clay as
> a mold for liquid bronze, gold, glass, etc., producing
> a 3-dimensional object that looks like the original wax
> sculpture. What is this technique called?
>
> A2. I coat a metal or glass object with a layer of wax.
> I then scrape away some wax to leave a design on the object.
> I dip it briefly into a bath of strong acid, which eats away
> at the area not covered by wax. After cleaning the wax off,
> I now have a pattern on my original object. What is this
> process called? Gunsmiths have used it for 400 years.
>

> * B. Describing Scientific Terms
>
> B1. A female Komodo dragon that has been living in a zoo
> without contact with other members of her species lays an
> egg which hatches and grows to be another female Komodo.
> Give the term for this asexual reproduction, where
> growth, development, and eventually birth happens without
> fertilization.
>
> B2. On a hot day, your son does not fully close the freezer door.
> Air constantly circulates into the freezer, where the
> rapid temperature drop causes the moisture in the air to
> turn directly into a coating of hoar frost. What is the
> scientific term for matter transformation directly from gas
> to solid without forming a liquid? It is sometimes known as
> sublimation (the same as the reverse transformation directly
> from solid to gas), but we want the other term that refers
> specifically to a transformation *from* gas *to* solid.
>

> * C. Describing Earth-Surface Terminology
>
> C1. If you are a property owner in Northern Ontario, your land
> may or may not be rising in value, but it is likely to be
> rising in elevation, by 4-8 mm a year, due to "isostatic
> rebound". Explain this.
>
> C2. Throughout the Pacific Ring of Fire are found tectonic
> subduction zones. Describe what is happening at a subduction
> zone.

One plate moves under an adjacent plate

> * D. Describing Canadian Historical/Political Phrases
>
> D1. This term was first coined in the 1983 report "Native
> Children and the Child Welfare System". It refers to
> the practice, beginning in the 1960s, of apprehending
> an unusually high percentage of children from aboriginal
> Canadians, usually without prior knowledge or permission of
> their families and bands, and adopting them out to white
> middle-class families. The victims of this practice were
> the subject of numerous news reports, case studies, and
> class-action lawsuits in later years. What is the term?
>
> D2. This term was used by Garth Turner in 2006 in conjunction
> with the evacuation of Canadian citizens from Lebanon, during
> the Israeli-Lebanon crisis. It refers to people who had
> emigrated to Canada, obtained citizenship, and then moved
> permanently back to their original home country, keeping
> their Canadian citizenship as a safety net. Many sources
> had used the term before that time, but Turner was the first
> MP to use it, questioning the $75,000 cost per evacuee
> for people who almost all returned back within a month.
> What is the term?
>

> * E. Describing Internet Memes
>
> E1. You go to an interesting or unusual place, and lie face
> down on the ground. Your hands must both touch the sides of
> your body while lying down. A friend takes a picture of you
> while you are face-planted, and uploads it onto the Internet.
> What is this fad called? It was featured in an episode of
> NBC's "The Office".
>
> E2. You're reading your email, and you open a message from
> a friend who includes a link to check out something cool.
> It actually sends you to a web site such as youtube, for
> the Rick Astley video "Never Gonna Give You Up". Give the
> Internet meme term for what has just happened to you.

Rick rolled

> * F. Tough Descriptions of Sports Rules
>
> F1. The Denver Broncos are approaching the end zone in the last
> minute of the game, trailing by 4 points. The quarterback
> hands the ball off to a running back, who charges forward.
> The running back is hit hard, 10 yards short of the end zone
> and fumbles the ball. It squirts into the end zone, where
> a Bronco receiver lands on it. The ref says no touchdown.
> Explain the specific rule he is thinking of when making
> his decision.

A fumble cannot be advanced by the offensive team in the last 2 minutes
of a half.

> F2. In reaction to numerous instances of what they considered
> "making a travesty of the game", in 1908 Major League
> Baseball instituted rule 7.08i, stating that the bases must
> be run in order. But until then, players would sometimes
> try to steal *backwards* from second base to first. But why
> would anyone want to do this? Okay, it might confuse the
> opponents a bit, and one man, Detroit's Germany Schaefer,
> allegedly just wanted to improve his base-stealing
> statistics. (He remains the last man to successfully
> steal first from second.) But for what other *specific
> tactical reason* did other players sometimes steal first
> base from second?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<-eWcnVW6W57Q0nX_nZ2dnZfqn_vNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4074&group=rec.games.trivia#4074

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 22:10:21 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 22:10 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

JOSHUA KREITZER wins Game 8. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Various Scientific Trivia

> 1. Disregarding the temporary symbols used for elements not yet
> confirmed as discovered or synthesized, there """are""" two
> letters of the alphabet that don't appear in any element symbols
> in the periodic table. Name *both*.

J, Q. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Pete.

W is the symbol for tungsten. Z, by the way, occurs in the symbols
for both zinc and zirconium, Zn and Zr.

> 2. What is unique in the human body about the hyoid bone?

It's not connected to any other bone in the body. (It's at the base
of the tongue and connects the tongue muscles to parts of the throat.)
4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 3. If you are exploring an ocean reef at 33 feet (10 m) below the
> surface of the water, how many atmospheres of total pressure
> are you experiencing?

2. (The water pressure is equal to the air pressure above.)
4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland. 3 for Pete.

> 4. What Canadian is known as the "father of modern medicine"
> and the "father of pathology"?

Sir William Osler.

> 5. John Macleod of Canada won the Nobel prize for the discovery
> of what?

Insulin. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

Although it's Banting and Best who are known today for the discovery,
Macleod ran the lab and the prize went to him and Banting jointly.
Banting considered this unjust and shared his half with Best;
Macleod responded by sharing his half with James Collip, who was
brought in on the project later. Banting's Nobel Prize speech tells
who really did what:
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/1923/banting-lecture.html

> 6. Name *either one* of the two scientists who announced the
> discovery of "cold fusion" in 1989.

Martin Fleischmann, Stanley Pons. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 7. In what city """is""" Canada's Science and Technology Museum?

Ottawa. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 8. To continue having marijuana available for research when it was
> still illegal to use, the Canadian government decided to grow its
> stash in an abandoned mine shaft near a certain Canadian city,
> which became known as the marijuana-growing capital of Canada.
> Then the operation was moved to an undisclosed location when
> more space was needed. Anyway, name the city where the mine was.

Flin Flon, Manitoba.

> 9. It is sometimes stated (and it was in the original version of
> this question) that Isaac Newton was born the day Galileo died,
> although this is the result of a confusion of calendars and
> conflicting information. But which British theoretical physicist
> and cosmologist actually was born on the 300th anniversary of
> Galileo's death?

Stephen Hawking. See <http://www.numericana.com/answer/record.htm>.
4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete.

> 10. Zoologists honored Hugh Hefner by naming Sylvilagus palustris
> hefneri for him. What kind of animal is this?

Marsh rabbit. Yes, "rabbit" was sufficient. Or even "bunny".
4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete.

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge - Trivial Descriptions

> For this week's challenge round, either we give a description
> and you name what we are talking about, or you are given a term
> and must describe what it means.

> * A. Describing Art and Wax

> A1. I make a sculpture out of wax; I cover it tightly with a
> thick layer of clay. I bake the clay in an oven, where
> the wax melts and runs out. I now use the hollow clay as
> a mold for liquid bronze, gold, glass, etc., producing
> a 3-dimensional object that looks like the original wax
> sculpture. What is this technique called?

Lost wax. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> A2. I coat a metal or glass object with a layer of wax.
> I then scrape away some wax to leave a design on the object.
> I dip it briefly into a bath of strong acid, which eats away
> at the area not covered by wax. After cleaning the wax off,
> I now have a pattern on my original object. What is this
> process called? Gunsmiths have used it for 400 years.

(Acid) etching. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> * B. Describing Scientific Terms

> B1. A female Komodo dragon that has been living in a zoo
> without contact with other members of her species lays an
> egg which hatches and grows to be another female Komodo.
> Give the term for this asexual reproduction, where
> growth, development, and eventually birth happens without
> fertilization.

Parthenogenesis, gynogenesis, or pseudogamy. 4 for Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> B2. On a hot day, your son does not fully close the freezer door.
> Air constantly circulates into the freezer, where the
> rapid temperature drop causes the moisture in the air to
> turn directly into a coating of hoar frost. What is the
> scientific term for matter transformation directly from gas
> to solid without forming a liquid? It is sometimes known as
> sublimation (the same as the reverse transformation directly
> from solid to gas), but we want the other term that refers
> specifically to a transformation *from* gas *to* solid.

Deposition. 4 for Joshua.

> * C. Describing Earth-Surface Terminology

> C1. If you are a property owner in Northern Ontario, your land
> may or may not be rising in value, but it is likely to be
> rising in elevation, by 4-8 mm a year, due to "isostatic
> rebound". Explain this.

During the last Ice Age, the weight of the ice pushed down and
compressed the Earth's crust. Since the glaciers retreated, the land
has been rebounding to its original height and thus the elevation
is increasing. 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

> C2. Throughout the Pacific Ring of Fire are found tectonic
> subduction zones. Describe what is happening at a subduction
> zone.

Two tectonic plates are moving towards each other, and rather
than crumpling together and pushing up a mountain range, one plate
slides underneath the other and heads down into the earth's mantle.
4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete.

> * D. Describing Canadian Historical/Political Phrases

> D1. This term was first coined in the 1983 report "Native
> Children and the Child Welfare System". It refers to
> the practice, beginning in the 1960s, of apprehending
> an unusually high percentage of children from aboriginal
> Canadians, usually without prior knowledge or permission of
> their families and bands, and adopting them out to white
> middle-class families. The victims of this practice were
> the subject of numerous news reports, case studies, and
> class-action lawsuits in later years. What is the term?

"The Sixties Scoop".

> D2. This term was used by Garth Turner in 2006 in conjunction
> with the evacuation of Canadian citizens from Lebanon, during
> the Israeli-Lebanon crisis. It refers to people who had
> emigrated to Canada, obtained citizenship, and then moved
> permanently back to their original home country, keeping
> their Canadian citizenship as a safety net. Many sources
> had used the term before that time, but Turner was the first
> MP to use it, questioning the $75,000 cost per evacuee
> for people who almost all returned back within a month.
> What is the term?

"Canadians of Convenience". 4 for Dan Blum.

> * E. Describing Internet Memes

> E1. You go to an interesting or unusual place, and lie face
> down on the ground. Your hands must both touch the sides of
> your body while lying down. A friend takes a picture of you
> while you are face-planted, and uploads it onto the Internet.
> What is this fad called? It was featured in an episode of
> NBC's "The Office".

Planking, or the lying-down game. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.