Everyone wants results, but no one is willing to do what it takes to get them. -- Dirty Harry

interests / rec.woodworking / Another Job

SubjectAuthor
* Another JobLeon
+* Re: Another JobDerbyDad03
|`- Re: Another JobLeon
+* Re: Another Jobkrw
|`* Re: Another JobLeon
| `* Re: Another Jobkrw
|  `* Re: Another JobDerbyDad03
|   +* Re: Another Jobkrw
|   |`* Re: Another JobDerbyDad03
|   | `* Re: Another JobLeon
|   |  `- Re: Another Jobkrw
|   `* Re: Another JobLeon
|    `* Re: Another JobDerbyDad03
|     `* Re: Another JobLeon
|      `* Re: Another JobDerbyDad03
|       `* Re: Another JobLeon
|        `* Re: Another Jobkrw
|         `* Re: Another JobLeon
|          `- Re: Another Jobkrw
`* Re: Another JobLeon
 `* Re: Another JobDerbyDad03
  `* Re: Another JobLeon
   `* Re: Another JobDerbyDad03
    `* Re: Another JobLeon
     `* Re: Another JobDerbyDad03
      `* Re: Another JobLeon
       `* Re: Another JobDerbyDad03
        `- Re: Another JobLeon

Pages:12
Another Job

<DqidnU6_W8bqftn8nZ2dnUU7-bvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4432&group=rec.woodworking#4432

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Subject: Another Job
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 13:50:30 -0500
 by: Leon - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 18:50 UTC

So far this year a kitchen remodel in the winter and early spring. A
Murphy bed and twin tower storage cabinets to match the bed and not a
Pantry Hutch.

This is the drawing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/51487087793/in/dateposted/

This will be constructed of 3/4" MDO for the cabinet carcasses and
adjustable shelves.

Poplar for all of the solid wood, except for Maple of the tops of the
bottom and top cabinets.

Drawers will have HD full extension drawer slides, 8 adjustable feet for
leveling, and 6 Blum Euro hinges for the doors.

Door and drawer outer center panels will be 1/2" Baltic birch and the
drawers will be 1/2" Baltic birch for the all 4 sides and the bottoms.
Rabbets for the drawer corner joints reinforced by Domino tenons.

The customer will retrieve and take back to San Antonio, TX, spray
paint the poplar and MOD parts. Clear coat the maple sections and
reassemble. The customer was a long time participant in this group. He
often passed along very detailed directions of how to spray paint.

Since I am not painting, staining, or applying a finishing for any part
of this job, the job should be fun.

I paid close attention when cutting up the $420 worth of MDO. That part
is done. I just finished printing optomized layouts for cutting up the
120 linear feet of 1x8 poplar and hard maple.

Thoughts?

Re: Another Job

<ec450931-35ed-4230-a347-f673903d22dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4433&group=rec.woodworking#4433

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 15:11:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Another Job
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 22:11 UTC

On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 2:50:39 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> So far this year a kitchen remodel in the winter and early spring. A
> Murphy bed and twin tower storage cabinets to match the bed and not a
> Pantry Hutch.
>
> This is the drawing.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/51487087793/in/dateposted/
>
> This will be constructed of 3/4" MDO for the cabinet carcasses and
> adjustable shelves.
>
> Poplar for all of the solid wood, except for Maple of the tops of the
> bottom and top cabinets.
>
> Drawers will have HD full extension drawer slides, 8 adjustable feet for
> leveling, and 6 Blum Euro hinges for the doors.
>
> Door and drawer outer center panels will be 1/2" Baltic birch and the
> drawers will be 1/2" Baltic birch for the all 4 sides and the bottoms.
> Rabbets for the drawer corner joints reinforced by Domino tenons.
>
> The customer will retrieve and take back to San Antonio, TX, spray
> paint the poplar and MOD parts. Clear coat the maple sections and
> reassemble. The customer was a long time participant in this group. He
> often passed along very detailed directions of how to spray paint.
>
> Since I am not painting, staining, or applying a finishing for any part
> of this job, the job should be fun.
>
> I paid close attention when cutting up the $420 worth of MDO. That part
> is done. I just finished printing optomized layouts for cutting up the
> 120 linear feet of 1x8 poplar and hard maple.
>
> Thoughts?

Thoughts?

My thought is that you should make two. The first one can be for practice.
When it's done, give it to me at no charge since it's just a prototype.

Thoughts?

Re: Another Job

<3ljakg58nmoqbusoh1tcav5mbo161gd2a8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4434&group=rec.woodworking#4434

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 22:28:56 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 02:28 UTC

On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:00:30 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
<ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 1:50:39 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
>>
>> Since I am not painting, staining, or applying a finishing for any part
>> of this job, the job should be fun.
>
>True!!!!!! I like the mechanical constructing part. Not the finishing part.

Thoughts? Where do you find MDO?

Oh, and it's going to be another Leon special, no doubt.

Re: Another Job

<v62dnR6XGNfcb9j8nZ2dnUU7-S_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4436&group=rec.woodworking#4436

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 09:05:53 -0500
 by: Leon - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 14:05 UTC

On 9/17/2021 5:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 2:50:39 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
>> So far this year a kitchen remodel in the winter and early spring. A
>> Murphy bed and twin tower storage cabinets to match the bed and not a
>> Pantry Hutch.
>>
>> This is the drawing.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/51487087793/in/dateposted/
>>
>> This will be constructed of 3/4" MDO for the cabinet carcasses and
>> adjustable shelves.
>>
>> Poplar for all of the solid wood, except for Maple of the tops of the
>> bottom and top cabinets.
>>
>> Drawers will have HD full extension drawer slides, 8 adjustable feet for
>> leveling, and 6 Blum Euro hinges for the doors.
>>
>> Door and drawer outer center panels will be 1/2" Baltic birch and the
>> drawers will be 1/2" Baltic birch for the all 4 sides and the bottoms.
>> Rabbets for the drawer corner joints reinforced by Domino tenons.
>>
>> The customer will retrieve and take back to San Antonio, TX, spray
>> paint the poplar and MOD parts. Clear coat the maple sections and
>> reassemble. The customer was a long time participant in this group. He
>> often passed along very detailed directions of how to spray paint.
>>
>> Since I am not painting, staining, or applying a finishing for any part
>> of this job, the job should be fun.
>>
>> I paid close attention when cutting up the $420 worth of MDO. That part
>> is done. I just finished printing optomized layouts for cutting up the
>> 120 linear feet of 1x8 poplar and hard maple.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> My thought is that you should make two. The first one can be for practice.
> When it's done, give it to me at no charge since it's just a prototype.
>
> Thoughts?

Naaa.

I hate doing prototypes. Its like cutting a board 3" shorter. I know
how to do this! ;~)

Last prototype I build was in the early 80's.

Last Christmas I was going to build boxes with 1/4" box joints with 1/2"
thick material. The box joints were 1/4" square, not 1/4" by 1/2".

And I wanted to use my new Origin to do this.

Long story short, I practiced the cut on scraps and they came out
perfect. I turned the scraps into 2 of the 12 boxes.

Re: Another Job

<fr6dnepZ-PXGadj8nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4437&group=rec.woodworking#4437

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 09:14:51 -0500
 by: Leon - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 14:14 UTC

On 9/17/2021 6:00 PM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 1:50:39 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
>>
>> Since I am not painting, staining, or applying a finishing for any part
>> of this job, the job should be fun.
>
> True!!!!!! I like the mechanical constructing part. Not the finishing part.

Finishing does not bother me so much except for the time it adds to
complete a project. I almost always prefinish inside edges and closed
in panels prior to glue up. 3 coats of a gel varnish. Then after the
glue up 3 coats after sanding. That can easily add 2~8 days to the
process depending on the humidity.

And gel varnishes do not build quickly so they are thin. Not for
children's furniture.

Because this finish basically helps to prevent discoloration of the wood
and that is about it I am considering switching to Rubio Monocoat
finish. It too is a thin finish but it is 1 coat, fast dry, and applied
with either a white Scotch Brite pad or poured on a tiny bit at a time
and spread with a card scraper.
Comes in about 40~50 shades including pure/natural. And it is pricey.
But when time is money I think it is a wash.

Apparently a scratch is easily repaired, sand, and reapply 1 coat. No
lap marks.

Re: Another Job

<xuWdnSZ3eOHVa9j8nZ2dnUU7-avNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4438&group=rec.woodworking#4438

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!news.dns-netz.com!news.freedyn.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 09:23:03 -0500
 by: Leon - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 14:23 UTC

On 9/17/2021 9:28 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:00:30 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
> <ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 1:50:39 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
>>>
>>> Since I am not painting, staining, or applying a finishing for any part
>>> of this job, the job should be fun.
>>
>> True!!!!!! I like the mechanical constructing part. Not the finishing part.
>
> Thoughts? Where do you find MDO?

I get it in Houston at either Clark's Hardwood Lumber or Hardwood
Products. At the moment Hardwood Products is out of stock and has no
idea when that will change. I suspect it may be available form any of
the local materials suppliers for the trades. A local lumber yard may
have it. The big box store "might" be able to order it for you.

> Oh, and it's going to be another Leon special, no doubt.

Not totally my design, Nailshooter and his wife had a lot of input as to
sizing. They have stayed with us on numerous occasions and she wanted a
custom built piece. It has some of my unique features but no curves...
Hummm.

Re: Another Job

<34deb893-bfc1-4a02-87d9-e4e432b2ce18n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4441&group=rec.woodworking#4441

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 08:02:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 15:02 UTC

On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 10:14:59 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 9/17/2021 6:00 PM, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 1:50:39 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
> >>
> >> Since I am not painting, staining, or applying a finishing for any part
> >> of this job, the job should be fun.
> >
> > True!!!!!! I like the mechanical constructing part. Not the finishing part.
> >
> Finishing does not bother me so much except for the time it adds to
> complete a project. I almost always prefinish inside edges and closed
> in panels prior to glue up. 3 coats of a gel varnish. Then after the
> glue up 3 coats after sanding. That can easily add 2~8 days to the
> process depending on the humidity.
>
> And gel varnishes do not build quickly so they are thin. Not for
> children's furniture.
>
> Because this finish basically helps to prevent discoloration of the wood
> and that is about it I am considering switching to Rubio Monocoat
> finish. It too is a thin finish but it is 1 coat, fast dry, and applied
> with either a white Scotch Brite pad or poured on a tiny bit at a time
> and spread with a card scraper.
> Comes in about 40~50 shades including pure/natural. And it is pricey.
> But when time is money I think it is a wash.
>
> Apparently a scratch is easily repaired, sand, and reapply 1 coat. No
> lap marks.

But who will repair the scratch 3 years after delivery? Are you the service
department also or will you hand the customer whatever finish is left over,
assuming there is some?

(I had a guy repair some rusty gussets, etc. on my trailer. Small job, but I
don't weld. Some welding, some priming, some painting. He billed me for
quart of black paint, the remainder of which he gave to me when I picked
up the the trailer. Now I have about 85% of a quart of flat black oil based
paint that will probably never get used. I should have given it to him as a
tip.)

Re: Another Job

<4s4ckgpvvd48epeddhg124kmd4bberaa32@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4444&group=rec.woodworking#4444

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:30:55 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 16:30 UTC

On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 09:23:03 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 9/17/2021 9:28 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:00:30 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
>> <ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> True!!!!!! I like the mechanical constructing part. Not the finishing part.
>>
>> Thoughts? Where do you find MDO?
>
>I get it in Houston at either Clark's Hardwood Lumber or Hardwood
>Products. At the moment Hardwood Products is out of stock and has no
>idea when that will change. I suspect it may be available form any of
>the local materials suppliers for the trades. A local lumber yard may
>have it. The big box store "might" be able to order it for you.

The BORG doesn't even recognize its existence and blue knows that it
exists but will never stock it. We have no "lumber yards", as we know
them, around. I'll have to get to one of the hardwood dealers but they
seem to have normal business hours.

>> Oh, and it's going to be another Leon special, no doubt.
>>

>Not totally my design, Nailshooter and his wife had a lot of input as to
>sizing. They have stayed with us on numerous occasions and she wanted a
>custom built piece. It has some of my unique features but no curves...
> Hummm.

Re: Another Job

<c8741483-7f34-4b7f-9672-c9067aca8a82n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4445&group=rec.woodworking#4445

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:03:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 19:03 UTC

On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 12:31:02 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 09:23:03 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:
> >On 9/17/2021 9:28 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:

> >> Thoughts? Where do you find MDO?
> >
> >I get it in Houston at either Clark's Hardwood Lumber or Hardwood
> >Products. At the moment Hardwood Products is out of stock and has no
> >idea when that will change. I suspect it may be available form any of
> >the local materials suppliers for the trades. A local lumber yard may
> >have it. The big box store "might" be able to order it for you.
> The BORG doesn't even recognize its existence and blue knows that it
> exists but will never stock it.

Lowes carries 1/2 MDO. At least 50 sheets available locally.

I bought some a few weeks ago. I really only needed sanded ply but
the nice flat and slightly thicker MDO was a few bucks *cheaper* per
sheet than the ugly twisted sanded ply.

Can't find 3/4" though. Will try a lumber yard if I ever need any.

Re: Another Job

<aeeckgpshcl6a9ghvhhfpafgeni4v735v4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4446&group=rec.woodworking#4446

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 15:25:24 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 19:25 UTC

On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:03:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 12:31:02 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 09:23:03 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
>> wrote:

>> >I get it in Houston at either Clark's Hardwood Lumber or Hardwood
>> >Products. At the moment Hardwood Products is out of stock and has no
>> >idea when that will change. I suspect it may be available form any of
>> >the local materials suppliers for the trades. A local lumber yard may
>> >have it. The big box store "might" be able to order it for you.
>> The BORG doesn't even recognize its existence and blue knows that it
>> exists but will never stock it.
>
>Lowes carries 1/2 MDO. At least 50 sheets available locally.

Not here, in any stores in the metro area, or at least their web site
doesn't point to any.

>I bought some a few weeks ago. I really only needed sanded ply but
>the nice flat and slightly thicker MDO was a few bucks *cheaper* per
>sheet than the ugly twisted sanded ply.

The BORG did have some decent looking sanded ply. I just looked at
the Lowes site and it appears plywood prices have come down. $40 for
3/4" sanded SYP and $60 for sanded poplar.

>Can't find 3/4" though. Will try a lumber yard if I ever need any.

I'd love to find some. I've been using MDF or melamine (same thing)
where flat mattered.

Re: Another Job

<497fa0cb-3fef-4287-8a8d-463b646c04b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4447&group=rec.woodworking#4447

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 16:59:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 23:59 UTC

On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 3:25:31 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:03:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 12:31:02 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:

> >> The BORG doesn't even recognize its existence and blue knows that it
> >> exists but will never stock it.
> >
> >Lowes carries 1/2 MDO. At least 50 sheets available locally.
> Not here, in any stores in the metro area, or at least their web site
> doesn't point to any.
> >I bought some a few weeks ago. I really only needed sanded ply but
> >the nice flat and slightly thicker MDO was a few bucks *cheaper* per
> >sheet than the ugly twisted sanded ply.
> The BORG did have some decent looking sanded ply. I just looked at
> the Lowes site and it appears plywood prices have come down. $40 for
> 3/4" sanded SYP and $60 for sanded poplar.
> >
> >Can't find 3/4" though. Will try a lumber yard if I ever need any.
> >
> I'd love to find some. I've been using MDF or melamine (same thing)
> where flat mattered.

In what world is MDF and melamine the same thing?

Re: Another Job

<Gv-dnVTEIYQq3tr8nZ2dnUU7-Q-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4448&group=rec.woodworking#4448

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:05:43 -0500
 by: Leon - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 14:05 UTC

On 9/18/2021 2:03 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 12:31:02 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 09:23:03 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
>> wrote:

>>> I get it in Houston at either Clark's Hardwood Lumber or Hardwood
>>> Products. At the moment Hardwood Products is out of stock and has no
>>> idea when that will change. I suspect it may be available form any of
>>> the local materials suppliers for the trades. A local lumber yard may
>>> have it. The big box store "might" be able to order it for you.
>> The BORG doesn't even recognize its existence and blue knows that it
>> exists but will never stock it.
>
> Lowes carries 1/2 MDO. At least 50 sheets available locally.
>
> I bought some a few weeks ago. I really only needed sanded ply but
> the nice flat and slightly thicker MDO was a few bucks *cheaper* per
> sheet than the ugly twisted sanded ply.

AND the surface likes any kind of paint. Some wood veneer plywoods tend
to de laminate with some water based finishes. And that is the primary
reason that I use MDO over wood veneer if I am going to paint.

> Can't find 3/4" though. Will try a lumber yard if I ever need any.

Re: Another Job

<Gv-dnVfEIYS82dr8nZ2dnUU7-Q-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4449&group=rec.woodworking#4449

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:07:29 -0500
 by: Leon - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 14:07 UTC

On 9/18/2021 6:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 3:25:31 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:03:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
>> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

>>> Lowes carries 1/2 MDO. At least 50 sheets available locally.
>> Not here, in any stores in the metro area, or at least their web site
>> doesn't point to any.
>>> I bought some a few weeks ago. I really only needed sanded ply but
>>> the nice flat and slightly thicker MDO was a few bucks *cheaper* per
>>> sheet than the ugly twisted sanded ply.
>> The BORG did have some decent looking sanded ply. I just looked at
>> the Lowes site and it appears plywood prices have come down. $40 for
>> 3/4" sanded SYP and $60 for sanded poplar.
>>>
>>> Can't find 3/4" though. Will try a lumber yard if I ever need any.
>>>
>> I'd love to find some. I've been using MDF or melamine (same thing)
>> where flat mattered.
>
> In what world is MDF and melamine the same thing?

Wondering the same. ;~) Maybe just for the flatness comparison.

Re: Another Job

<VISdnRBDUusW2Nr8nZ2dnUU7-aXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4450&group=rec.woodworking#4450

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:13:31 -0500
 by: Leon - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 14:13 UTC

On 9/18/2021 10:02 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 10:14:59 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

>>> True!!!!!! I like the mechanical constructing part. Not the finishing part.
>>>
>> Finishing does not bother me so much except for the time it adds to
>> complete a project. I almost always prefinish inside edges and closed
>> in panels prior to glue up. 3 coats of a gel varnish. Then after the
>> glue up 3 coats after sanding. That can easily add 2~8 days to the
>> process depending on the humidity.
>>
>> And gel varnishes do not build quickly so they are thin. Not for
>> children's furniture.
>>
>> Because this finish basically helps to prevent discoloration of the wood
>> and that is about it I am considering switching to Rubio Monocoat
>> finish. It too is a thin finish but it is 1 coat, fast dry, and applied
>> with either a white Scotch Brite pad or poured on a tiny bit at a time
>> and spread with a card scraper.
>> Comes in about 40~50 shades including pure/natural. And it is pricey.
>> But when time is money I think it is a wash.
>>
>> Apparently a scratch is easily repaired, sand, and reapply 1 coat. No
>> lap marks.
>
> But who will repair the scratch 3 years after delivery? Are you the service
> department also or will you hand the customer whatever finish is left over,
> assuming there is some?

Good question. But ask your self this question, with "ANY" other
finish, who will repair the scratch 3 years after delivery?

The customer can buy $10 sample bottles of the product and do the repair
himself. With most any other finish that repair will be much more
detailed, even with shellac.

And until I have tested this product more I don't know if it will be
good for everything or just certain projects. Like any other finish.

> (I had a guy repair some rusty gussets, etc. on my trailer. Small job, but I
> don't weld. Some welding, some priming, some painting. He billed me for
> quart of black paint, the remainder of which he gave to me when I picked
> up the the trailer. Now I have about 85% of a quart of flat black oil based
> paint that will probably never get used. I should have given it to him as a
> tip.)

Re: Another Job

<80cf6c2f-3338-4f04-abc5-b38d2424e075n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4452&group=rec.woodworking#4452

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:02:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:02 UTC

On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 10:13:39 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 9/18/2021 10:02 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> >> Finishing does not bother me so much except for the time it adds to
> >> complete a project. I almost always prefinish inside edges and closed
> >> in panels prior to glue up. 3 coats of a gel varnish. Then after the
> >> glue up 3 coats after sanding. That can easily add 2~8 days to the
> >> process depending on the humidity.
> >>
> >> And gel varnishes do not build quickly so they are thin. Not for
> >> children's furniture.
> >>
> >> Because this finish basically helps to prevent discoloration of the wood
> >> and that is about it I am considering switching to Rubio Monocoat
> >> finish. It too is a thin finish but it is 1 coat, fast dry, and applied
> >> with either a white Scotch Brite pad or poured on a tiny bit at a time
> >> and spread with a card scraper.
> >> Comes in about 40~50 shades including pure/natural. And it is pricey.
> >> But when time is money I think it is a wash.
> >>
> >> Apparently a scratch is easily repaired, sand, and reapply 1 coat. No
> >> lap marks.
> >
> > But who will repair the scratch 3 years after delivery? Are you the service
> > department also or will you hand the customer whatever finish is left over,
> > assuming there is some?

> Good question. But ask your self this question, with "ANY" other
> finish, who will repair the scratch 3 years after delivery?

Depends on the terms of the warranty/protection plan. At this very
moment I am looking at a brochure for the Platinum Protection Plan
offered by the Raymour & Flanigan furniture chain. That's their 5
year protection plan.

The column for Wood and Other Hard Surface Furniture has a checkbox
next to "Gouges or chips that penetrate the finish exposing the substrate."
That box is checked.

> The customer can buy $10 sample bottles of the product and do the repair
> himself. With most any other finish that repair will be much more
> detailed, even with shellac.

So, what I am hearing is that you aren't offering a 5 year Platinum
Protection Plan. ;-)

> And until I have tested this product more I don't know if it will be
> good for everything or just certain projects. Like any other finish.

> > (I had a guy repair some rusty gussets, etc. on my trailer. Small job, but I
> > don't weld. Some welding, some priming, some painting. He billed me for
> > quart of black paint, the remainder of which he gave to me when I picked
> > up the the trailer. Now I have about 85% of a quart of flat black oil based
> > paint that will probably never get used. I should have given it to him as a
> > tip.)

Re: Another Job

<7b903fc2-1a75-4d34-93ed-31d5e0010db5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4453&group=rec.woodworking#4453

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:13:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:13 UTC

On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 10:05:52 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 9/18/2021 2:03 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> > On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 12:31:02 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:

> >> The BORG doesn't even recognize its existence and blue knows that it
> >> exists but will never stock it.
> >
> > Lowes carries 1/2 MDO. At least 50 sheets available locally.
> >
> > I bought some a few weeks ago. I really only needed sanded ply but
> > the nice flat and slightly thicker MDO was a few bucks *cheaper* per
> > sheet than the ugly twisted sanded ply.
> AND the surface likes any kind of paint. Some wood veneer plywoods tend
> to de laminate with some water based finishes. And that is the primary
> reason that I use MDO over wood veneer if I am going to paint.

That's good to know. I used 3/4 Poplar veneered plywood for my last big
project. It took the Benjamin Moore Advance primer and paint really well.
I like that paint a lot, especially since I seriously hate to paint. It lays down
nice and smooth.

The ultra smooth surface of the MDO isn't a problem? What kind of primer &
paint do you use?

When I used the 1/2" MDO, I hid the surface. It was for that platform project
in my Honda Odyssey, so it got covered with carpet. As I mentioned, I never
would have considered using MDO, but it was cheaper than the sanded ply
and flat, unlike the sanded ply.

It was a good introduction to MDO, even though I didn't actually "finish" it.
I will consider using it in the future.

Re: Another Job

<i1jfkgpsb1c0421usc166n6ecj7oma0cte@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4456&group=rec.woodworking#4456

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
References: <DqidnU6_W8bqftn8nZ2dnUU7-bvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <e6e185e6-c508-4569-b1e7-900421a51a13n@googlegroups.com> <3ljakg58nmoqbusoh1tcav5mbo161gd2a8@4ax.com> <xuWdnSZ3eOHVa9j8nZ2dnUU7-avNnZ2d@giganews.com> <4s4ckgpvvd48epeddhg124kmd4bberaa32@4ax.com> <c8741483-7f34-4b7f-9672-c9067aca8a82n@googlegroups.com> <aeeckgpshcl6a9ghvhhfpafgeni4v735v4@4ax.com> <497fa0cb-3fef-4287-8a8d-463b646c04b7n@googlegroups.com> <Gv-dnVfEIYS82dr8nZ2dnUU7-Q-dnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 19:57:29 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 23:57 UTC

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:07:29 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 9/18/2021 6:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
>> On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 3:25:31 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:

>>> Not here, in any stores in the metro area, or at least their web site
>>> doesn't point to any.
>>> The BORG did have some decent looking sanded ply. I just looked at
>>> the Lowes site and it appears plywood prices have come down. $40 for
>>> 3/4" sanded SYP and $60 for sanded poplar.

>>> I'd love to find some. I've been using MDF or melamine (same thing)
>>> where flat mattered.
>>
>> In what world is MDF and melamine the same thing?
>>

>Wondering the same. ;~) Maybe just for the flatness comparison.

Yes, worded poorly. I use MDF with melamine on top for light-duty
work surfaces. Keeps it nice and flat.

Re: Another Job

<ZcCdnTC5QKTBENX8nZ2dnUU7-KvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4459&group=rec.woodworking#4459

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 08:32:11 -0500
 by: Leon - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 13:32 UTC

On 9/19/2021 11:02 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 10:13:39 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

>>> But who will repair the scratch 3 years after delivery? Are you the service
>>> department also or will you hand the customer whatever finish is left over,
>>> assuming there is some?
>
>> Good question. But ask your self this question, with "ANY" other
>> finish, who will repair the scratch 3 years after delivery?
>
> Depends on the terms of the warranty/protection plan. At this very
> moment I am looking at a brochure for the Platinum Protection Plan
> offered by the Raymour & Flanigan furniture chain. That's their 5
> year protection plan.
>
> The column for Wood and Other Hard Surface Furniture has a checkbox
> next to "Gouges or chips that penetrate the finish exposing the substrate."
> That box is checked.
>

>> The customer can buy $10 sample bottles of the product and do the repair
>> himself. With most any other finish that repair will be much more
>> detailed, even with shellac.
>
> So, what I am hearing is that you aren't offering a 5 year Platinum
> Protection Plan. ;-)

No, I do not. And FWIW I have bought my last furniture warranty
protection plan. I have been stung for the last time.

So our plan covered just about everything. Pets knawing on the wooden
parts. And doing their thing on the leather, #1 and #2. I can throw up
on the leather. Stab a hole in the leather.

We later found out the hard way that sweat is not covered.

Re: Another Job

<4rqdnSNdkvuSEtX8nZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4460&group=rec.woodworking#4460

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 08:39:26 -0500
 by: Leon - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 13:39 UTC

On 9/19/2021 11:13 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 10:05:52 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

>>> Lowes carries 1/2 MDO. At least 50 sheets available locally.
>>>
>>> I bought some a few weeks ago. I really only needed sanded ply but
>>> the nice flat and slightly thicker MDO was a few bucks *cheaper* per
>>> sheet than the ugly twisted sanded ply.
>> AND the surface likes any kind of paint. Some wood veneer plywoods tend
>> to de laminate with some water based finishes. And that is the primary
>> reason that I use MDO over wood veneer if I am going to paint.
>>>

> That's good to know. I used 3/4 Poplar veneered plywood for my last big
> project. It took the Benjamin Moore Advance primer and paint really well.
> I like that paint a lot, especially since I seriously hate to paint. It lays down
> nice and smooth.
>
> The ultra smooth surface of the MDO isn't a problem? What kind of primer &
> paint do you use?

No Primer. So far I have painted all of my MDO pieces with General
Finishes Milk Paint. The recently finished Murphy bed was painted with
a Basil green milk paint.

I did scuff the surface with 180 grit paper.

When I was painting paint grade wood veneer I used a water based Sherwin
Williams primer and saw the veneer de laminate almost immediately. I
was able to get glue back under the veneer and all worked out OK. I
topped with Sherwin Williams best oil based enamel. This was for my
wife's sewing studio furniture.

> When I used the 1/2" MDO, I hid the surface. It was for that platform project
> in my Honda Odyssey, so it got covered with carpet. As I mentioned, I never
> would have considered using MDO, but it was cheaper than the sanded ply
> and flat, unlike the sanded ply.
>
> It was a good introduction to MDO, even though I didn't actually "finish" it.
> I will consider using it in the future.

Re: Another Job

<5c15211c-16ae-449f-b445-9091943b2529n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4464&group=rec.woodworking#4464

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 12:05:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 19:05 UTC

On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 9:32:20 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 9/19/2021 11:02 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> >> Good question. But ask your self this question, with "ANY" other
> >> finish, who will repair the scratch 3 years after delivery?
> >
> > Depends on the terms of the warranty/protection plan. At this very
> > moment I am looking at a brochure for the Platinum Protection Plan
> > offered by the Raymour & Flanigan furniture chain. That's their 5
> > year protection plan.
> >
> > The column for Wood and Other Hard Surface Furniture has a checkbox
> > next to "Gouges or chips that penetrate the finish exposing the substrate."
> > That box is checked.
> >

> >> The customer can buy $10 sample bottles of the product and do the repair
> >> himself. With most any other finish that repair will be much more
> >> detailed, even with shellac.
> >
> > So, what I am hearing is that you aren't offering a 5 year Platinum
> > Protection Plan. ;-)
> No, I do not. And FWIW I have bought my last furniture warranty
> protection plan. I have been stung for the last time.
>
> So our plan covered just about everything. Pets knawing on the wooden
> parts. And doing their thing on the leather, #1 and #2. I can throw up
> on the leather. Stab a hole in the leather.
>
> We later found out the hard way that sweat is not covered.

You should have rented a cat to pee on your sweat stains before
you put in the claim.

Re: Another Job

<add94cf9-d651-48d7-bb2e-f7bf5c927d22n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4465&group=rec.woodworking#4465

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 12:08:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 19:08 UTC

On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 9:39:33 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 9/19/2021 11:13 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> >> AND the surface likes any kind of paint. Some wood veneer plywoods tend
> >> to de laminate with some water based finishes. And that is the primary
> >> reason that I use MDO over wood veneer if I am going to paint.
> >>>

> > That's good to know. I used 3/4 Poplar veneered plywood for my last big
> > project. It took the Benjamin Moore Advance primer and paint really well.
> > I like that paint a lot, especially since I seriously hate to paint. It lays down
> > nice and smooth.
> >
> > The ultra smooth surface of the MDO isn't a problem? What kind of primer &
> > paint do you use?
> No Primer. So far I have painted all of my MDO pieces with General
> Finishes Milk Paint. The recently finished Murphy bed was painted with
> a Basil green milk paint.

Don't tell my wife. My next project is a bookcase for her.

While I may consider milk paint, I hate green. ;-)

> I did scuff the surface with 180 grit paper.

Good to know.

Re: Another Job

<R9ednUPmZ4MsndT8nZ2dnUU7-a3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4466&group=rec.woodworking#4466

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:44:17 -0500
 by: Leon - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 21:44 UTC

On 9/20/2021 2:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 9:32:20 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

>>> Depends on the terms of the warranty/protection plan. At this very
>>> moment I am looking at a brochure for the Platinum Protection Plan
>>> offered by the Raymour & Flanigan furniture chain. That's their 5
>>> year protection plan.
>>>
>>> The column for Wood and Other Hard Surface Furniture has a checkbox
>>> next to "Gouges or chips that penetrate the finish exposing the substrate."
>>> That box is checked.

>>> So, what I am hearing is that you aren't offering a 5 year Platinum
>>> Protection Plan. ;-)
>> No, I do not. And FWIW I have bought my last furniture warranty
>> protection plan. I have been stung for the last time.
>>
>> So our plan covered just about everything. Pets knawing on the wooden
>> parts. And doing their thing on the leather, #1 and #2. I can throw up
>> on the leather. Stab a hole in the leather.
>>
>> We later found out the hard way that sweat is not covered.
>
> You should have rented a cat to pee on your sweat stains before
> you put in the claim.

So I called for warranty coverage and answered 20 questions. What would
you say caused the surface to discolor. Me, I don't know, maybe sweat.
Is that what you want us to put down as the cause? Sure, its a bodily
fluid, I don't really care what caused it.
Is that your final answer? Yes,

Pause, we are sorry but sweat is not covered.

I bought the furniture at a prominent store in Houston and the brand was
Flexsteel. Not Cheap.

I read the manager the riot act and he took care of the problem.

Re: Another Job

<R9ednULmZ4OAnNT8nZ2dnUU7-a2dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4467&group=rec.woodworking#4467

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:46:06 -0500
 by: Leon - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 21:46 UTC

On 9/20/2021 2:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 9:39:33 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

>>> That's good to know. I used 3/4 Poplar veneered plywood for my last big
>>> project. It took the Benjamin Moore Advance primer and paint really well.
>>> I like that paint a lot, especially since I seriously hate to paint. It lays down
>>> nice and smooth.
>>>
>>> The ultra smooth surface of the MDO isn't a problem? What kind of primer &
>>> paint do you use?
>> No Primer. So far I have painted all of my MDO pieces with General
>> Finishes Milk Paint. The recently finished Murphy bed was painted with
>> a Basil green milk paint.
>>
> Don't tell my wife. My next project is a bookcase for her.
>
> While I may consider milk paint, I hate green. ;-)

But does she like green? My wife pocked the color. Don't second guess
colors that your wife picks out. ;~)

The milk paints come in a load of "country colors".

>> I did scuff the surface with 180 grit paper.
>>
> Good to know.

Re: Another Job

<ed9e45ed-2dcb-4236-9356-77e188fd58f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4469&group=rec.woodworking#4469

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:35:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 23:35 UTC

On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 5:44:24 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 9/20/2021 2:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> >> No, I do not. And FWIW I have bought my last furniture warranty
> >> protection plan. I have been stung for the last time.
> >>
> >> So our plan covered just about everything. Pets knawing on the wooden
> >> parts. And doing their thing on the leather, #1 and #2. I can throw up
> >> on the leather. Stab a hole in the leather.
> >>
> >> We later found out the hard way that sweat is not covered.
> >
> > You should have rented a cat to pee on your sweat stains before
> > you put in the claim.
> >
> So I called for warranty coverage and answered 20 questions. What would
> you say caused the surface to discolor. Me, I don't know, maybe sweat.
> Is that what you want us to put down as the cause? Sure, its a bodily
> fluid, I don't really care what caused it.
> Is that your final answer? Yes,
>
> Pause, we are sorry but sweat is not covered.
>
> I bought the furniture at a prominent store in Houston and the brand was
> Flexsteel. Not Cheap.
>
> I read the manager the riot act and he took care of the problem.

I'm in the middle of similar issue right now, although mine is related to
an issue with the condition of my *not cheap* sectional upon arrival.
The one I waited 2 months to have delivered. (It's Covid, you know)

2 piece sectional, therefore 8 wooden legs. 5 of the 8 legs looked like
this at delivery:

https://i.imgur.com/UYYen3R.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QDKQLHi.jpg

The repair guys shows up and based on the single picture that the delivery
guy uploaded, the repair guy thought I had one minor scratch and thought
he could take it out to the truck and throw some stain on it. "That ain't
happening, I want all new legs."

It's now 8 weeks later. They apparently lost the order for my legs and don't
expect to see the second order for *at least* 6 more weeks. I told the rep
that I could make a set of legs in one afternoon and be done with this fiasco.

"I'm sorry sir. We're sending you a $250 gift card for your trouble."

Great. Thanks. I probably can't even get a lamp at that store for $250.

Re: Another Job

<k99ikgtdfecibcjmclkull1sbl62n3h91e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4471&group=rec.woodworking#4471

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
References: <3ljakg58nmoqbusoh1tcav5mbo161gd2a8@4ax.com> <xuWdnSZ3eOHVa9j8nZ2dnUU7-avNnZ2d@giganews.com> <4s4ckgpvvd48epeddhg124kmd4bberaa32@4ax.com> <c8741483-7f34-4b7f-9672-c9067aca8a82n@googlegroups.com> <Gv-dnVTEIYQq3tr8nZ2dnUU7-Q-dnZ2d@giganews.com> <7b903fc2-1a75-4d34-93ed-31d5e0010db5n@googlegroups.com> <4rqdnSNdkvuSEtX8nZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <add94cf9-d651-48d7-bb2e-f7bf5c927d22n@googlegroups.com> <R9ednULmZ4OAnNT8nZ2dnUU7-a2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:22:58 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 00:22 UTC

On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:46:06 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 9/20/2021 2:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

>>> No Primer. So far I have painted all of my MDO pieces with General
>>> Finishes Milk Paint. The recently finished Murphy bed was painted with
>>> a Basil green milk paint.
>>>
>> Don't tell my wife. My next project is a bookcase for her.
>>
>> While I may consider milk paint, I hate green. ;-)
>
>But does she like green? My wife pocked the color. Don't second guess
>colors that your wife picks out. ;~)

I once had that plan, until it didn't work. She picked the paint for
our family room. She was out of the house paint day. I opened the
can and thought ("Pepto Bismol"). Well... She didn't much like it
either.

>The milk paints come in a load of "country colors".

Not my favorites. Not enough saturation for my taste.