E = MC ** 2 +- 3db

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward Dale

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward DaleClaude Brickell
`* Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward DaleClaude Brickell
 `* Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward DaleCindy H.
  `* Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward DaleWill Johnson

Pages:123
Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward Dale

<9eb45947-9db7-40c3-97c8-d32d6f72c91an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5444&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5444

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 11:29:30 -0700 (PDT)
<172560e1-80a6-4980-a207-f970ad13ed28@googlegroups.com> <63e6bc28-901e-4e9d-bfb4-b20e7a1b2d16n@googlegroups.com>
<6c33c256-0014-467a-aa45-c0b0bf04fde2n@googlegroups.com> <37388146-aafd-4bdb-a440-e64c88f855f2n@googlegroups.com>
<2f882464-e843-4b44-bc65-3c6e10a2c6e5n@googlegroups.com> <450f3473-afd4-4931-a48d-4312e50f7831n@googlegroups.com>
<f5f42376-d6da-41fc-b52a-561a0201ba17n@googlegroups.com> <250ab2a4-79ca-40b2-9921-1182eb823591n@googlegroups.com>
<d92d3720-340b-4bc6-961e-a3275750b89dn@googlegroups.com> <a9636090-293b-48b4-acfa-1195bfef670fn@googlegroups.com>
<e3eeae65-68e5-4c8f-b703-0beb8d77825cn@googlegroups.com> <c7956c6b-0cfa-4cc8-a209-2c3e8afbee23n@googlegroups.com>
<9859e642-806c-4a63-9470-0486448bca4fn@googlegroups.com> <d421f421-a95a-45f1-bf0a-506eb0a6c17bn@googlegroups.com>
<9af0db70-1b15-4021-b9a9-d34f0e9cf94bn@googlegroups.com> <cbfaaa2a-7dd1-420a-b059-eb3eb4211894n@googlegroups.com>
<9b7d0ab4-9ea9-4646-a947-e45903db7558n@googlegroups.com> <7cd4ed13-69d3-45b1-8896-6056140957b9n@googlegroups.com>
<355c1efc-4e76-4765-b5de-547a2e7453e4n@googlegroups.com> <2c103d91-8dde-4b5f-b99a-2b88ecc69c8fn@googlegroups.com>
<0777b347-3513-4b2b-8f86-44aede338dccn@googlegroups.com> <0d6bde1c-1ada-4b50-a9c4-72ea0a1abc0dn@googlegroups.com>
<3e3a4fa5-51fc-4093-84c8-e65cab89d974n@googlegroups.com> <ccb2447c-e632-42ed-95e2-ab0c80e9dca1n@googlegroups.com>
<40c81f83-ffaf-4700-b577-e3584ee23f40n@googlegroups.com> <cd7aa14f-71e9-497a-a9bc-f41348108157n@googlegroups.com>
<6eef07eb-2057-4f56-9cf0-b1522991e32bn@googlegroups.com> <52a789b5-d4c7-4321-8d99-79ddbe566c1fn@googlegroups.com>
<e87ad9cf-5a04-4d87-88b7-9c77b34f2d77n@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward Dale
From: lancaste...@gmail.com (lancast...@gmail.com)
 by: lancast...@gmail.com - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 18:29 UTC

On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 6:11:29 PM UTC+2, Cindy H. wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 9:54:03 AM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > > It's true that Henry VII declared himself king by the judgment of God and right of conquest when he won the Battle of Bosworth in 1485. However, in order to be secure, he had to convince the Yorkists of his claim. He descended from John of Gaunt (Duke of Lancaster and son of Edward III) in the Beaufort line. Having John of Gaunt as an ancestor solidified his claim, as did his marriage to Elizabeth of York, daughter of Edward IV, which united the two houses, the red rose of Lancaster and the white rose of York. So the fact that both Henry VII and Elizabeth of York descended from Edward III was important to establish Henry's legitimacy as the first Tudor king.
> > I was referring specifically to the message embedded in the URL: "could-a-dna-test-unthrone-the-british-royalty".
> >
> > Right, the perceived kingly claims of Henry VII were rather bolstered by his and wife's several descents from Edward III, but Henry and Elizabeth were both descended only through a mix of males and females, not in a strict male-line descent. The non-paternity event which caused the difference between Richard III and other royal scions or possible heirs would have been moot after a few years of successful Tudor rule, let alone sixty or seventy..
> Henry VII's ancestry helped him deal with some Yorkist pretenders during his reign, and his ancestry ensured that the right to the throne of his descendants could not be challenged. William the Conqueror spent years subduing his opponents and had to harrow the North and starve the inhabitants there in order to cement his right to rule by conquest alone. Thankfully, Henry VII was able to avoid that scenario. You are probably right about any non-paternity event becoming moot after successful Tudor rule and the years following. I don't think the current royal family is worried about their royal line! Life goes on as usual! I was interested in the rebuttal that followed the non-paternity event article in that link I sent which showed ways kinship was defined before scientific testing was possible. Anyway, worrying about possible non-paternity events in various lines down from Charlemagne and Alfred the Great isn't going to lead anywhere since there's no way to prove any DNA breaks in the various lines without digging up hundreds of skeletons, and such breaks may not even exist. We just have to go along doing research as usual and trying to be as accurate as possible! I do hope that someday the maternity of Katherine Dale is definitively proved by a primary source.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward Dale

<d546a773-244e-49d1-87ae-fe48a1e2d2ddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5445&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5445

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 12:23:42 -0700 (PDT)
<e87ad9cf-5a04-4d87-88b7-9c77b34f2d77n@googlegroups.com> <9eb45947-9db7-40c3-97c8-d32d6f72c91an@googlegroups.com>
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 19:23 UTC

<ee42be59-1ad8-4dcb-9fac-70844d22f55dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5447&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5447

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 13:21:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: wjhonson...@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:21 UTC

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 8:29:12 AM UTC-7, pj.ev...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 4:36:43 AM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Tracing a line through paper, is not worth anything, if you don't have the DNA evidence for yourself.
> > For all you know your 8th great-grandmother lied, and had sex with the neighbor and that's your real line
> Will, you're being an a-hole. You know damned well that genealogy is not based on DNA.

I never said that genealogy is *based* on DNA

My implication was, that if you yourself have not proven your own lines autosomally with your own DNA (and your cousins, etc), that all of this work on "your" line is really just based on the misplaced belief that your own ancestors didn't dilly about. And yet they did.

Every day it seems I encounter people who have done "thirty years of research" before they realized their father wasn't their father, their grandfather wasn't their grandfather, and so on. From DNA.

Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward Dale

<443d35ce-12da-412f-9635-a68b59acfd05n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5449&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5449

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 14:19:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: joec...@gmail.com (joseph cook)
 by: joseph cook - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 21:19 UTC

> Tracing a line through paper, is not worth anything, if you don't have the DNA evidence for yourself.
> For all you know your 8th great-grandmother lied, and had sex with the neighbor and that's your real line

SHE WOULD NEVER AND YOU TAKE THAT BACK. ABIGAIL WAS HONEST AND CHASTE.

--Joe C
P.S. for what it is worth, this statement doesn't make any sense. paper lines can have errors and so can dna tests; it doesn't mean they are worthless. And whether or not the biological line is sound doens't mean that the paper parents didn't raise their non-biological children, pass down inheritnaces, and have family dynamics that are just as interesting as the dna doner.

Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward Dale

<a8b96f44-6ea2-40f4-bf7e-ee8d84f75504n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5452&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5452

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 07:43:40 -0700 (PDT)
<3e3a4fa5-51fc-4093-84c8-e65cab89d974n@googlegroups.com> <443d35ce-12da-412f-9635-a68b59acfd05n@googlegroups.com>
From: wjhonson...@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 14:43 UTC

On Wednesday, August 3, 2022 at 2:19:13 PM UTC-7, joe...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Tracing a line through paper, is not worth anything, if you don't have the DNA evidence for yourself.
> > For all you know your 8th great-grandmother lied, and had sex with the neighbor and that's your real line
> SHE WOULD NEVER AND YOU TAKE THAT BACK. ABIGAIL WAS HONEST AND CHASTE.
>
> --Joe C
> P.S. for what it is worth, this statement doesn't make any sense. paper lines can have errors and so can dna tests; it doesn't mean they are worthless. And whether or not the biological line is sound doens't mean that the paper parents didn't raise their non-biological children, pass down inheritnaces, and have family dynamics that are just as interesting as the dna doner.

Ahhhhh ha ha ha ha ha.
But my implication is that an NPE can occur at *any* generation.
It doesn't have to have occurred four hundred years ago.
It might have occurred 80 years ago as well

Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward Dale

<b385413b-44e4-40ac-9979-06d29be26dfbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5453&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5453

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 08:58:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 15:58 UTC

On Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 10:43:41 AM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 3, 2022 at 2:19:13 PM UTC-7, joe...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Tracing a line through paper, is not worth anything, if you don't have the DNA evidence for yourself.
> > > For all you know your 8th great-grandmother lied, and had sex with the neighbor and that's your real line
> > SHE WOULD NEVER AND YOU TAKE THAT BACK. ABIGAIL WAS HONEST AND CHASTE.
> >
> > --Joe C
> > P.S. for what it is worth, this statement doesn't make any sense. paper lines can have errors and so can dna tests; it doesn't mean they are worthless. And whether or not the biological line is sound doens't mean that the paper parents didn't raise their non-biological children, pass down inheritnaces, and have family dynamics that are just as interesting as the dna doner.
> Ahhhhh ha ha ha ha ha.
> But my implication is that an NPE can occur at *any* generation.
> It doesn't have to have occurred four hundred years ago.
> It might have occurred 80 years ago as well

Can an NPE with a closely-related male-line (agnate) cousin of the claimed/ believed father be detected by DNA methods?

Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward Dale

<0a3b7ff8-4041-4c8c-8976-35c226f9dd6dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5457&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5457

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 13:42:47 -0700 (PDT)
<a8b96f44-6ea2-40f4-bf7e-ee8d84f75504n@googlegroups.com> <b385413b-44e4-40ac-9979-06d29be26dfbn@googlegroups.com>
From: wjhonson...@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 20:42 UTC

On Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 8:58:16 AM UTC-7, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Can an NPE with a closely-related male-line (agnate) cousin of the claimed/ believed father be detected by DNA methods?

My own personal method does not need males, since I rely on the autosomal DNA results.
What I do is plot out how each match is supposed to be related (by tree) and confirm whether or not that makes sense by the size of the centimorgan match.

If a person is supposed to be a first cousin, and only matches 30 cms (or does not match at all), then they are not a first cousin at all. Then you have to figure out whose tree has the NPE by using a third match that matches one but not both. Rinse and repeat.

It's a long process, but you *can* rebuild the correct tree using these methods.
Even to the point of determining who the missing line must be. That is, which family, has provided the missing biological piece. And thus, which family in the tree, is not biologically related.

You just need at least two tests, administered, and then the hundreds of matches they each generate, and their trees.

Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward Dale

<4c93d710-5971-4bd7-bc3a-79c785ebadc8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5463&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5463

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 10:15:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: jinnol...@gmail.com (Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57)
 by: Jinny Wallerstedt/Gi - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 17:15 UTC

On Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 4:42:48 PM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 8:58:16 AM UTC-7, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Can an NPE with a closely-related male-line (agnate) cousin of the claimed/ believed father be detected by DNA methods?
> My own personal method does not need males, since I rely on the autosomal DNA results.
> What I do is plot out how each match is supposed to be related (by tree) and confirm whether or not that makes sense by the size of the centimorgan match.
>
> If a person is supposed to be a first cousin, and only matches 30 cms (or does not match at all), then they are not a first cousin at all. Then you have to figure out whose tree has the NPE by using a third match that matches one but not both. Rinse and repeat.
>
> It's a long process, but you *can* rebuild the correct tree using these methods.
> Even to the point of determining who the missing line must be. That is, which family, has provided the missing biological piece. And thus, which family in the tree, is not biologically related.
>
> You just need at least two tests, administered, and then the hundreds of matches they each generate, and their trees.
Will, I find the two tests and hundreds of matches easy, but the "...and their trees" part maddening. So many folks out there who don't have or don't share tree information. I've spent hours and hours constructing trees for exact mtDNA matches -- using the tiny bit of info they do have -- in the (vain LOL) hope I can find our common motherline ancestor. No luck yet, but lots of exploration and fun, and have made the acquaintance of many Virginia and Kentucky families with very scant paper trails. Also, have been fortunate to help build some trees, using autosomal data, for distant African American cousins descended from a shared white ancestor. Lots of deep Virginia roots.

Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward Dale

<ae18a041-0dc3-42d3-91bd-44e236dd3638n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5464&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5464

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 08:29:56 -0700 (PDT)
<0a3b7ff8-4041-4c8c-8976-35c226f9dd6dn@googlegroups.com> <4c93d710-5971-4bd7-bc3a-79c785ebadc8n@googlegroups.com>
From: wjhonson...@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 15:29 UTC

On Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 10:15:50 AM UTC-7, Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57 wrote:
> On Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 4:42:48 PM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 8:58:16 AM UTC-7, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > Can an NPE with a closely-related male-line (agnate) cousin of the claimed/ believed father be detected by DNA methods?
> > My own personal method does not need males, since I rely on the autosomal DNA results.
> > What I do is plot out how each match is supposed to be related (by tree) and confirm whether or not that makes sense by the size of the centimorgan match.
> >
> > If a person is supposed to be a first cousin, and only matches 30 cms (or does not match at all), then they are not a first cousin at all. Then you have to figure out whose tree has the NPE by using a third match that matches one but not both. Rinse and repeat.
> >
> > It's a long process, but you *can* rebuild the correct tree using these methods.
> > Even to the point of determining who the missing line must be. That is, which family, has provided the missing biological piece. And thus, which family in the tree, is not biologically related.
> >
> > You just need at least two tests, administered, and then the hundreds of matches they each generate, and their trees.
> Will, I find the two tests and hundreds of matches easy, but the "...and their trees" part maddening. So many folks out there who don't have or don't share tree information. I've spent hours and hours constructing trees for exact mtDNA matches -- using the tiny bit of info they do have -- in the (vain LOL) hope I can find our common motherline ancestor. No luck yet, but lots of exploration and fun, and have made the acquaintance of many Virginia and Kentucky families with very scant paper trails. Also, have been fortunate to help build some trees, using autosomal data, for distant African American cousins descended from a shared white ancestor. Lots of deep Virginia roots.

mtDNA is not a very useful genealogical tool
I hope that you and your matches have also taken Autosomal DNA tests so you can at least figure out if you're related within twenty generations.

Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward Dale

<25f5531b-3fe1-4f32-ae24-be8ad22df5d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5469&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5469

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 07:12:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: jinnol...@gmail.com (Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57)
 by: Jinny Wallerstedt/Gi - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 14:12 UTC

On Monday, August 8, 2022 at 11:29:57 AM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 10:15:50 AM UTC-7, Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57 wrote:
> > > My own personal method does not need males, since I rely on the autosomal DNA results.
> > > What I do is plot out how each match is supposed to be related (by tree) and confirm whether or not that makes sense by the size of the centimorgan match.
> > >
> > > If a person is supposed to be a first cousin, and only matches 30 cms (or does not match at all), then they are not a first cousin at all. Then you have to figure out whose tree has the NPE by using a third match that matches one but not both. Rinse and repeat.
> > >
> > > It's a long process, but you *can* rebuild the correct tree using these methods.
> > > Even to the point of determining who the missing line must be. That is, which family, has provided the missing biological piece. And thus, which family in the tree, is not biologically related.
> > >
> > > You just need at least two tests, administered, and then the hundreds of matches they each generate, and their trees.
> > Will, I find the two tests and hundreds of matches easy, but the "...and their trees" part maddening. So many folks out there who don't have or don't share tree information. I've spent hours and hours constructing trees for exact mtDNA matches -- using the tiny bit of info they do have -- in the (vain LOL) hope I can find our common motherline ancestor. No luck yet, but lots of exploration and fun, and have made the acquaintance of many Virginia and Kentucky families with very scant paper trails. Also, have been fortunate to help build some trees, using autosomal data, for distant African American cousins descended from a shared white ancestor. Lots of deep Virginia roots.
> mtDNA is not a very useful genealogical tool
> I hope that you and your matches have also taken Autosomal DNA tests so you can at least figure out if you're related within twenty generations.
Yes, autosomal tests taken and used, as of course mtDNA on its own is not useful. It is useful, though, to make connections with others...Never can tell what might emerge. And I'm in it for the long haul.

Re: Diana SKIPWITH, wife of Edward Dale

<9a99e53c-af9a-4b06-b17b-89156c8de0a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5474&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5474

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 11:35:55 -0700 (PDT)
<ae18a041-0dc3-42d3-91bd-44e236dd3638n@googlegroups.com> <25f5531b-3fe1-4f32-ae24-be8ad22df5d4n@googlegroups.com>
From: wjhonson...@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 18:35 UTC

On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 7:12:08 AM UTC-7, Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57 wrote:

> Yes, autosomal tests taken and used, as of course mtDNA on its own is not useful. It is useful, though, to make connections with others...Never can tell what might emerge. And I'm in it for the long haul.

So what have you found using mtDNA that the Autosomal test did not tell you?