A private sin is not so prejudicial in the world as a public indecency. -- Miguel de Cervantes

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

SubjectAuthor
* Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
+* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?hubops
|`* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?J. Clarke
| `- Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
+* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Bill
|`* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
| `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Bill
|  `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Sonny
|   `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
|    `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Leon
|     `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
|      +* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Markem618
|      |`- Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
|      `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Leon
|       +* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Leon
|       |`- Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
|       `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
|        `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Leon
|         `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
|          +- Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Markem618
|          `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Leon
|           +* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?krw
|           |`* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Leon
|           | `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?krw
|           |  `- Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Leon
|           `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
|            `- Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Leon
+* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Leon
|+* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
||`- Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Leon
|`- Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?krw
`* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?krw
 `* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
  +* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Markem618
  |`* Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?DerbyDad03
  | `- Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?Markem618
  `- Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?krw

Pages:12
Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

<1b97a542-639e-4b2f-a2d1-1371f5686858n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6671&group=rec.woodworking#6671

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 13:39:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 20:39 UTC

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 11:56:05 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 4/12/2022 3:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> >> Looks more like this to me.
> >>
> >> https://www.dreamstime.com/large-empty-wooden-coil-new-cable-drum-industrial-area-outdoors-wooden-spool-cable-image107746391
> >
> > Yes. It's round, thick and made of wood. ;-)
> >
> > I'm not saying that you are wrong, just asking that you please explain this:
> >
> > The handle in the center the table is exactly the same as the handle on tables supposedly made from hatch covers.
> > The bar, the bolts, the round recess, even the curved and elongated slot that the bar sits in. (center image, right hand
> > side)
> >
> > https://i.imgur.com/xmSOqK4.jpg
> All examples of hatches are square and the handle is near the
> edge/corner. And who would design a heavy hatch with the handle in the
> middle?
> >
> > Do you feel that the builder took a spool end and manually matched the handle set-up so as to make it look like a hatch cover?
> >
> Yes. It is coincidental that the name plate fit the slot and or as you
> said, the fabricator cut the slot with a router.
> > There are a lot of other differences that might be easier to explain away - no indication of an axle support plate, two
> > layers of wood, T&G construction, no through axle hole, bolts that extend into the winding area, etc. - but that handle
> > sure as heck looks just like all the other hatch handles I've seen.
> >
> The only thing that looks similar to other hatch designs is the metal
> name plate. There are many pieces of furniture that are made to look
> nautical. Not all spools have or need an axle support plate. I do not
> recall actually seeing a support plate on most of these type spools.

I'm not sure that you understood my point when I agreed that the
name plate was added on later. My point was that the bar below the
plate and the recess exactly match what is shown on other hatches.

> Notice here no support plate but rather a bushing, like the piece
> appears to have had in your first picture.

I'm not sure what you see that appears to have been a bushing.
There is certainly no evidence of a bushing ever existing on the piece
I have.

> https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/GeneralCableSteelCable

What I notice on every spool shown is that there are bolts
where the center core is attached to the round ends. There
is nothing like that on my piece.

FWIW, I spoke to the owner. I asked where she got the table from.
She said it was years ago and what she remembers is that the guy
she got it from said the top came from a ship. I know that's not much,
but that's what was said. Could have been passed around multiple
times and the true story lost to the ages. Who knows.

Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

<28df9d76-b4cd-4c32-ad72-5556b578eec9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6672&group=rec.woodworking#6672

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 13:44:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 20:44 UTC

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 11:58:18 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 4/13/2022 10:55 AM, Leon wrote:

> >> Yes. It's round, thick and made of wood. ;-)
> >>
> >> I'm not saying that you are wrong, just asking that you please explain
> >> this:
> >>
> >> The handle in the center the table is exactly the same as the handle
> >> on tables supposedly made from hatch covers.
> >> The bar, the bolts, the round recess, even the curved and elongated
> >> slot that the bar sits in. (center image, right hand
> >> side)
> >>
> >> https://i.imgur.com/xmSOqK4.jpg
> >
> > All examples of hatches are square and the handle is near the
> > edge/corner. And who would design a heavy hatch with the handle in the
> > middle?
> >

> >> Do you feel that the builder took a spool end and manually matched the
> >> handle set-up so as to make it look like a hatch cover?
> >>

> > Yes. It is coincidental that the name plate fit the slot and or as you
> > said, the fabricator cut the slot with a router.
> >

> >> There are a lot of other differences that might be easier to explain
> >> away - no indication of an axle support plate, two
> >> layers of wood, T&G construction, no through axle hole, bolts that
> >> extend into the winding area, etc. - but that handle
> >> sure as heck looks just like all the other hatch handles I've seen.
> >>
> > The only thing that looks similar to other hatch designs is the metal
> > name plate. There are many pieces of furniture that are made to look
> > nautical. Not all spools have or need an axle support plate. I do not
> > recall actually seeing a support plate on most of these type spools.
> >
> > Notice here no support plate but rather a bushing, like the piece
> > appears to have had in your first picture.
> >

> > https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/GeneralCableSteelCable
> Notice here the nautical compass theme used on this spool converted to
> be used as a table.
>
> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/205828645446108676/

That's obviously a spool. It has all the features that I have mentioned are
missing from mine. The attachment holes for the center core, the through
axle hole, the single layer ends, no exposed bolt ends under the top, etc.

This is from a Nautical Antiques dealer. Yes, I imagine that one could argue
that whoever used a spool end to make the one I'm working on, made more
than one. Or that other people took spool ends and used the same "2 layered,
bottom layer a couple of inches smaller than the top, center handle"
modifications. It could happen.

Yes, they both could have been fabricated from ship parts and not actually
have been a hatch cover. However, a spool end? I still don't see it, for all the
reasons I posted earlier.

Just in case the Pinterest links doesn't work. I snipped the picture also.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/337207090825470185/

https://i.imgur.com/UFEIGY3.jpg

Moving on.

Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

<Zpednb5m_fBao8r_nZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6673&group=rec.woodworking#6673

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 16:21:09 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 21:21 UTC

On 4/13/2022 3:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 11:56:05 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

>>> Yes. It's round, thick and made of wood. ;-)
>>>
>>> I'm not saying that you are wrong, just asking that you please explain this:
>>>
>>> The handle in the center the table is exactly the same as the handle on tables supposedly made from hatch covers.
>>> The bar, the bolts, the round recess, even the curved and elongated slot that the bar sits in. (center image, right hand
>>> side)
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/xmSOqK4.jpg
>> All examples of hatches are square and the handle is near the
>> edge/corner. And who would design a heavy hatch with the handle in the
>> middle?
>>>
>>> Do you feel that the builder took a spool end and manually matched the handle set-up so as to make it look like a hatch cover?
>>>
>> Yes. It is coincidental that the name plate fit the slot and or as you
>> said, the fabricator cut the slot with a router.
>>> There are a lot of other differences that might be easier to explain away - no indication of an axle support plate, two
>>> layers of wood, T&G construction, no through axle hole, bolts that extend into the winding area, etc. - but that handle
>>> sure as heck looks just like all the other hatch handles I've seen.
>>>
>> The only thing that looks similar to other hatch designs is the metal
>> name plate. There are many pieces of furniture that are made to look
>> nautical. Not all spools have or need an axle support plate. I do not
>> recall actually seeing a support plate on most of these type spools.
>
> I'm not sure that you understood my point when I agreed that the
> name plate was added on later. My point was that the bar below the
> plate and the recess exactly match what is shown on other hatches.

Except that the hole and handle is in the middle of a large round piece
vs. the edge/corner like in all of the samples you provided. One thing
on this object resembles a hatch. Everything else looks like the side
of a spool.

One last observation, you mentioned that this is heavy. Do you think
the 2 little screws on each end would be enough to hold the name plate
in place while lifting the hatch over the life of the hatch?

>> Notice here no support plate but rather a bushing, like the piece
>> appears to have had in your first picture.
>
> I'm not sure what you see that appears to have been a bushing.
> There is certainly no evidence of a bushing ever existing on the piece
> I have.

The sholdered hole. Similar to a hole in a disk rotor that accepts the
race.

>> https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/GeneralCableSteelCable
>
> What I notice on every spool shown is that there are bolts
> where the center core is attached to the round ends. There
> is nothing like that on my piece.
>
> FWIW, I spoke to the owner. I asked where she got the table from.
> She said it was years ago and what she remembers is that the guy
> she got it from said the top came from a ship. I know that's not much,
> but that's what was said. Could have been passed around multiple
> times and the true story lost to the ages. Who knows.

Yeah Who knows! FWIW ships had spools for cable to be laid at the sea
bottom. And as cargo.

Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

<4b1f3e52-139c-4d20-8d8d-b0baa29bde9en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6674&group=rec.woodworking#6674

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 15:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:01 UTC

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 5:21:20 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 4/13/2022 3:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> >> All examples of hatches are square and the handle is near the
> >> edge/corner. And who would design a heavy hatch with the handle in the
> >> middle?

> >> Yes. It is coincidental that the name plate fit the slot and or as you
> >> said, the fabricator cut the slot with a router.
> >>>
> >> The only thing that looks similar to other hatch designs is the metal
> >> name plate. There are many pieces of furniture that are made to look
> >> nautical. Not all spools have or need an axle support plate. I do not
> >> recall actually seeing a support plate on most of these type spools.
> >
> > I'm not sure that you understood my point when I agreed that the
> > name plate was added on later. My point was that the bar below the
> > plate and the recess exactly match what is shown on other hatches.
> Except that the hole and handle is in the middle of a large round piece
> vs. the edge/corner like in all of the samples you provided. One thing
> on this object resembles a hatch. Everything else looks like the side
> of a spool.
>
> One last observation, you mentioned that this is heavy. Do you think
> the 2 little screws on each end would be enough to hold the name plate
> in place while lifting the hatch over the life of the hatch?

What? Where did that come from? It appears that you did not understand what
my images meant nor the words that I used to describe them.

I'll try one last time.

1 - This is the handle and the name plate. We all agree that the name plate
itself was probably added on after the table was built:

https://i.imgur.com/iMftT06.jpg

2 - Take the handle - without the name plate - and set it in the slot and then
bolt it through both layers of the table top. No bolt shown here, but the bolts
are the 3/8" x 3 1/2" bolts shown in the previous image.

https://i.imgur.com/AOGdTdB.jpg

Now you have handle that can easily support the weight of the piece. Please
don't doubt me, I've lifted the piece using that handle.

Later, when you are turning the hatch cover into a table, drill 2 small holes
in the handle and screw the name plate *to the bolted in handle*:

https://i.imgur.com/Ck0AzbU.jpg

I never once said or implied that the name plate was part of the hatch cover
over it's lifetime. 3 days ago I specifically said - to you - that "I agree with the
third officer plaque not being part of the original..."

Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

<nkie5h11hv64creoq9e2stieppupa9lo4h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6675&group=rec.woodworking#6675

From: markrm...@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 17:15:29 -0500
References: <bWQ4K.66094$Kdf.42751@fx96.iad> <7b6ebc8c-e817-4f26-a668-d9b654c19ae7n@googlegroups.com> <b2d4fa59-ccca-4896-be4f-dbf18acba64dn@googlegroups.com> <vLGdnfED2rjxGsj_nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <269eda3b-7f7e-4711-a085-1714ba00450en@googlegroups.com> <WYCdnQx7LdsRb8v_nZ2dnUU7-R3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <1b97a542-639e-4b2f-a2d1-1371f5686858n@googlegroups.com> <Zpednb5m_fBao8r_nZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <4b1f3e52-139c-4d20-8d8d-b0baa29bde9en@googlegroups.com>
 by: Markem618 - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:15 UTC

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 15:01:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>I never once said or implied that the name plate was part of the hatch cover
>over it's lifetime. 3 days ago I specifically said - to you - that "I agree with the
>third officer plaque not being part of the original..."

Could have been a forward bulk head hatch, I could see a prank being
played on the Third officer, "there is your cabin sir".

Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

<RqKdnQZFkt5wwMX_nZ2dnUU7-KvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6677&group=rec.woodworking#6677

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:46:21 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:46 UTC

On 4/13/2022 5:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 5:21:20 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

>>> I'm not sure that you understood my point when I agreed that the
>>> name plate was added on later. My point was that the bar below the
>>> plate and the recess exactly match what is shown on other hatches.
>> Except that the hole and handle is in the middle of a large round piece
>> vs. the edge/corner like in all of the samples you provided. One thing
>> on this object resembles a hatch. Everything else looks like the side
>> of a spool.
>>
>> One last observation, you mentioned that this is heavy. Do you think
>> the 2 little screws on each end would be enough to hold the name plate
>> in place while lifting the hatch over the life of the hatch?
>
> What? Where did that come from? It appears that you did not understand what
> my images meant nor the words that I used to describe them.
>
> I'll try one last time.
>
> 1 - This is the handle and the name plate. We all agree that the name plate
> itself was probably added on after the table was built:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/iMftT06.jpg
>
> 2 - Take the handle - without the name plate - and set it in the slot and then
> bolt it through both layers of the table top. No bolt shown here, but the bolts
> are the 3/8" x 3 1/2" bolts shown in the previous image.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/AOGdTdB.jpg
>
> Now you have handle that can easily support the weight of the piece. Please
> don't doubt me, I've lifted the piece using that handle.
>
> Later, when you are turning the hatch cover into a table, drill 2 small holes
> in the handle and screw the name plate *to the bolted in handle*:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/Ck0AzbU.jpg
>
> I never once said or implied that the name plate was part of the hatch cover
> over it's lifetime. 3 days ago I specifically said - to you - that "I agree with the
> third officer plaque not being part of the original..."

I let this lay. I think both of us don't think either of us understand
what the other is saying. My only point is that I truly believe that
his was never a hatch and was simply the side of a spool. I Googled
round hatches and never found a picture other than square hatches.
Googling spools comes up with countless varieties of picture like the
one you posted.

No hard feelings on my side.

Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

<dlqg5h9uu7mog87qphsksep3tu33tipm9j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6678&group=rec.woodworking#6678

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
References: <7b6ebc8c-e817-4f26-a668-d9b654c19ae7n@googlegroups.com> <b2d4fa59-ccca-4896-be4f-dbf18acba64dn@googlegroups.com> <vLGdnfED2rjxGsj_nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <269eda3b-7f7e-4711-a085-1714ba00450en@googlegroups.com> <WYCdnQx7LdsRb8v_nZ2dnUU7-R3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <1b97a542-639e-4b2f-a2d1-1371f5686858n@googlegroups.com> <Zpednb5m_fBao8r_nZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <4b1f3e52-139c-4d20-8d8d-b0baa29bde9en@googlegroups.com> <RqKdnQZFkt5wwMX_nZ2dnUU7-KvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 14:41:16 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:41 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:46:21 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 4/13/2022 5:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

>>> Except that the hole and handle is in the middle of a large round piece
>>> vs. the edge/corner like in all of the samples you provided. One thing
>>> on this object resembles a hatch. Everything else looks like the side
>>> of a spool.
>>>
>>> One last observation, you mentioned that this is heavy. Do you think
>>> the 2 little screws on each end would be enough to hold the name plate
>>> in place while lifting the hatch over the life of the hatch?
>>
>> What? Where did that come from? It appears that you did not understand what
>> my images meant nor the words that I used to describe them.
>>
>> I'll try one last time.
>>
>> 1 - This is the handle and the name plate. We all agree that the name plate
>> itself was probably added on after the table was built:
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/iMftT06.jpg
>>
>> 2 - Take the handle - without the name plate - and set it in the slot and then
>> bolt it through both layers of the table top. No bolt shown here, but the bolts
>> are the 3/8" x 3 1/2" bolts shown in the previous image.
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/AOGdTdB.jpg
>>
>> Now you have handle that can easily support the weight of the piece. Please
>> don't doubt me, I've lifted the piece using that handle.
>>
>> Later, when you are turning the hatch cover into a table, drill 2 small holes
>> in the handle and screw the name plate *to the bolted in handle*:
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/Ck0AzbU.jpg
>>
>> I never once said or implied that the name plate was part of the hatch cover
>> over it's lifetime. 3 days ago I specifically said - to you - that "I agree with the
>> third officer plaque not being part of the original..."
>>

>I let this lay. I think both of us don't think either of us understand
>what the other is saying. My only point is that I truly believe that
>his was never a hatch and was simply the side of a spool. I Googled
>round hatches and never found a picture other than square hatches.
>Googling spools comes up with countless varieties of picture like the
>one you posted.

Do you know why manholes are round?

>No hard feelings on my side.

Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

<D4idnQcylvaY88X_nZ2dnUU7-WudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6679&group=rec.woodworking#6679

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:55:01 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:55 UTC

On 4/14/2022 1:41 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:46:21 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:

>>> What? Where did that come from? It appears that you did not understand what
>>> my images meant nor the words that I used to describe them.
>>>
>>> I'll try one last time.
>>>
>>> 1 - This is the handle and the name plate. We all agree that the name plate
>>> itself was probably added on after the table was built:
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/iMftT06.jpg
>>>
>>> 2 - Take the handle - without the name plate - and set it in the slot and then
>>> bolt it through both layers of the table top. No bolt shown here, but the bolts
>>> are the 3/8" x 3 1/2" bolts shown in the previous image.
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/AOGdTdB.jpg
>>>
>>> Now you have handle that can easily support the weight of the piece. Please
>>> don't doubt me, I've lifted the piece using that handle.
>>>
>>> Later, when you are turning the hatch cover into a table, drill 2 small holes
>>> in the handle and screw the name plate *to the bolted in handle*:
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/Ck0AzbU.jpg
>>>
>>> I never once said or implied that the name plate was part of the hatch cover
>>> over it's lifetime. 3 days ago I specifically said - to you - that "I agree with the
>>> third officer plaque not being part of the original..."
>>>

>> I let this lay. I think both of us don't think either of us understand
>> what the other is saying. My only point is that I truly believe that
>> his was never a hatch and was simply the side of a spool. I Googled
>> round hatches and never found a picture other than square hatches.
>> Googling spools comes up with countless varieties of picture like the
>> one you posted.
>
> Do you know why manholes are round?

So that they will not fall into the hole.

Do you know why the lift area is at the perimeter instead of in the middle?

Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

<hfsg5hlu4lt7cvbeg8lfq07e5hm009mf9h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6680&group=rec.woodworking#6680

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
References: <vLGdnfED2rjxGsj_nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <269eda3b-7f7e-4711-a085-1714ba00450en@googlegroups.com> <WYCdnQx7LdsRb8v_nZ2dnUU7-R3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <1b97a542-639e-4b2f-a2d1-1371f5686858n@googlegroups.com> <Zpednb5m_fBao8r_nZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <4b1f3e52-139c-4d20-8d8d-b0baa29bde9en@googlegroups.com> <RqKdnQZFkt5wwMX_nZ2dnUU7-KvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <dlqg5h9uu7mog87qphsksep3tu33tipm9j@4ax.com> <D4idnQcylvaY88X_nZ2dnUU7-WudnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 15:23:53 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 19:23 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:55:01 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 4/14/2022 1:41 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:46:21 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
>> wrote:

>>> I let this lay. I think both of us don't think either of us understand
>>> what the other is saying. My only point is that I truly believe that
>>> his was never a hatch and was simply the side of a spool. I Googled
>>> round hatches and never found a picture other than square hatches.
>>> Googling spools comes up with countless varieties of picture like the
>>> one you posted.
>>
>> Do you know why manholes are round?
>

>So that they will not fall into the hole.
>
>Do you know why the lift area is at the perimeter instead of in the middle?

Most have the hole at the edge but there are other sorts.

<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=manhole+cover+pictures&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F_Gb4NmAd9gS8%2FTGc7mNkVzYI%2FAAAAAAAABRE%2FFxX3Ct2vD7E%2Fs1600%2Fmanholecover03.jpg>

Not round but the lifter is a bar across the middle.

<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=manhole+cover+pictures&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2F5.imimg.com%2Fdata5%2FPP%2FEE%2FMY-2552693%2Fsfrc-manhole-covers-500x500.jpg>

Hatch sort of thing:
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=manhole+cover+pictures&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Faairknuagp.cloudimg.io%2Fv7%2Fwww.kentstainless.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F09%2FSTAINL3-1-1.jpg>

There is a WIDE variety of these things

But I agree, it's a spool

Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

<4cb9733a-817f-456d-a78f-1e038d891168n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6682&group=rec.woodworking#6682

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 14:14:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 21:14 UTC

On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 1:46:31 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 4/13/2022 5:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> >> Except that the hole and handle is in the middle of a large round piece
> >> vs. the edge/corner like in all of the samples you provided. One thing
> >> on this object resembles a hatch. Everything else looks like the side
> >> of a spool.
> >>
> >> One last observation, you mentioned that this is heavy. Do you think
> >> the 2 little screws on each end would be enough to hold the name plate
> >> in place while lifting the hatch over the life of the hatch?
> >
> > What? Where did that come from? It appears that you did not understand what
> > my images meant nor the words that I used to describe them.
> >
> > I'll try one last time.
> >
> > 1 - This is the handle and the name plate. We all agree that the name plate
> > itself was probably added on after the table was built:
> >
> > https://i.imgur.com/iMftT06.jpg
> >
> > 2 - Take the handle - without the name plate - and set it in the slot and then
> > bolt it through both layers of the table top. No bolt shown here, but the bolts
> > are the 3/8" x 3 1/2" bolts shown in the previous image.
> >
> > https://i.imgur.com/AOGdTdB.jpg
> >
> > Now you have handle that can easily support the weight of the piece. Please
> > don't doubt me, I've lifted the piece using that handle.
> >
> > Later, when you are turning the hatch cover into a table, drill 2 small holes
> > in the handle and screw the name plate *to the bolted in handle*:
> >
> > https://i.imgur.com/Ck0AzbU.jpg
> >
> > I never once said or implied that the name plate was part of the hatch cover
> > over it's lifetime. 3 days ago I specifically said - to you - that "I agree with the
> > third officer plaque not being part of the original..."
> >
> I let this lay. I think both of us don't think either of us understand
> what the other is saying. My only point is that I truly believe that
> his was never a hatch and was simply the side of a spool. I Googled
> round hatches and never found a picture other than square hatches.
> Googling spools comes up with countless varieties of picture like the
> one you posted.
>
> No hard feelings on my side.

Same here.

Thanks for the finishing advice.

Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

<UsudnQ8WyOCYBsX_nZ2dnUU7-YOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6683&group=rec.woodworking#6683

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:07:01 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 22:07 UTC

On 4/14/2022 4:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 1:46:31 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

>>> What? Where did that come from? It appears that you did not understand what
>>> my images meant nor the words that I used to describe them.
>>>
>>> I'll try one last time.
>>>
>>> 1 - This is the handle and the name plate. We all agree that the name plate
>>> itself was probably added on after the table was built:
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/iMftT06.jpg
>>>
>>> 2 - Take the handle - without the name plate - and set it in the slot and then
>>> bolt it through both layers of the table top. No bolt shown here, but the bolts
>>> are the 3/8" x 3 1/2" bolts shown in the previous image.
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/AOGdTdB.jpg
>>>
>>> Now you have handle that can easily support the weight of the piece. Please
>>> don't doubt me, I've lifted the piece using that handle.
>>>
>>> Later, when you are turning the hatch cover into a table, drill 2 small holes
>>> in the handle and screw the name plate *to the bolted in handle*:
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/Ck0AzbU.jpg
>>>
>>> I never once said or implied that the name plate was part of the hatch cover
>>> over it's lifetime. 3 days ago I specifically said - to you - that "I agree with the
>>> third officer plaque not being part of the original..."
>>>
>> I let this lay. I think both of us don't think either of us understand
>> what the other is saying. My only point is that I truly believe that
>> his was never a hatch and was simply the side of a spool. I Googled
>> round hatches and never found a picture other than square hatches.
>> Googling spools comes up with countless varieties of picture like the
>> one you posted.
>>
>> No hard feelings on my side.
>
> Same here.
>
> Thanks for the finishing advice.

You bet! Any time sir!

Re: Finishing Question - Will Wood Bleach Work?

<GIidnfvVvLVZAcX_nZ2dnUU7-b_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6684&group=rec.woodworking#6684

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:14:27 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 22:14 UTC

On 4/14/2022 2:23 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:55:01 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/14/2022 1:41 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>>> Do you know why manholes are round?
>>

>> So that they will not fall into the hole.
>>
>> Do you know why the lift area is at the perimeter instead of in the middle?
>
> Most have the hole at the edge but there are other sorts.
>
> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=manhole+cover+pictures&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F_Gb4NmAd9gS8%2FTGc7mNkVzYI%2FAAAAAAAABRE%2FFxX3Ct2vD7E%2Fs1600%2Fmanholecover03.jpg>

This looks like a small diameter water valve cover. Down here in the
Houston area the water valve cover is about 8~9" across.

> Not round but the lifter is a bar across the middle.

> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=manhole+cover+pictures&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2F5.imimg.com%2Fdata5%2FPP%2FEE%2FMY-2552693%2Fsfrc-manhole-covers-500x500.jpg>

And concrete. While still heavy the cast iron ones are very heavy.

> Hatch sort of thing:
> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=manhole+cover+pictures&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Faairknuagp.cloudimg.io%2Fv7%2Fwww.kentstainless.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F09%2FSTAINL3-1-1.jpg>
>
> There is a WIDE variety of these things

Wow those are some really cool ones. I like the one of the alligator
grabbing a doll with a $ for it's head. Money down the drain.