Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8 answers: Quebec City, bestsellers
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 03:25:00 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 11 May 2021 08:25 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Quebec City

> 1. What famous French explorer was the first European to stay
> over a winter on the site of Quebec City, during his second
> voyage to America?

Jacques Cartier. 4 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 2. Which explorer founded the city of Quebec?

Samuel de Champlain.

> 3. Name *both* generals who died on the Plains of Abraham.

James Wolfe, Louis-Joseph de Montcalm.

> 4. In 1775, American forces under the command of what famous
> American soldier laid siege to Quebec City?

Benedict Arnold. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Early in 1776, the American forces were repulsed by what
> English commander?

Guy Carlton.

> 6. He was born in France in 1623, ordained in 1647, and became the
> first Bishop of Quebec in 1674. A monument to him stands outside
> the old post office near Parc Montmorency in Quebec. Name him.

François de Laval.

> 7. What hotel, with a commanding view of most of Quebec City,
> was built in 1892 on the former site of the Château St-Louis?

Château Frontenac. I accepted "Frontenac" alone, so 4 for Pete.

> 8. This church was built in 1688 in the Lower Town of Quebec.
> It was known as Enfant-Jésus, but was renamed after the French
> defeated the British armies twice. It has been known by what
> name since 1711?

Notre-Dame des Victoires (Our Lady of the Victories).

> 9. This building, on Cap Diamant near the Plains of Abraham,
> was built by the British as part of their fortifications against
> a possible American invasion of Quebec. It was started in 1820
> and completed in 1831 at a cost of $35,000,000. Name it.

The Citadel.

> 10. He too has a monument in Parc Montmorency. He was born in
> 1814, was admitted to the bar in 1835, and became leader
> of the Conservative Party of Quebec and John A. Macdonald's
> right-hand man. He died in London (England) in 1873. Name him.

George-Étienne Cartier.

Yes, he was "George" without an S.

In 1965 the most important road in Ontario, Highway 401, was given the
additional name of the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway -- and that's *this*
Cartier, not <answer 1>. But as if that wasn't enough overnaming,
in 2007 it was given as *additional* additional name as the Highway
of Heroes, and the remaining signs for the earlier name were removed.
In practice everybody just uses the highway number anyway.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Bestsellers

> This round simply asks you to identify the 10 books that were on
> the Globe & Mail's """latest""" Saturday list of fiction paperback
> bestsellers in Canada -- or, in other words, those books that
> the stores would like you to help them get rid of because they
> ordered so many of them. For each book we will simply give you
> the copyright date plus part or all of the blurb and/or reviewers'
> quotes given on or near its front and back covers. To give you
> every opportunity, the excerpts are long: feel free to interrupt
> if you know the answer.

> (As it turned out, hardly anybody knew any of them, so this round --
> one of four that were tied for being the hardest of the season --
> was tedious at the time and will only be worse in 2021. No, I'm
> not accepting answers based on the current bestseller list in 2021.
> Apologies in advance. Oh yeah, and of the two rounds in this set,
> this awful thing is the one I wrote.)

> But first listen, because there are a number of notes and some
> special scoring. First note: the books are *not* in the same
> order as on the bestseller list.

> Also, sometimes the title actually occurs within the blurb or
> review that we'll provide. If it does, we *may or may not*
> replace it with <title>. Thus some of the answers, or part of
> them, may occur within the questions. If the author's name occurs,
> we will always substitute the words "the author".

> Now the scoring. Each answer has two parts -- the book's title
> and author. You can give just one of these and take up to two
> guesses in the usual manner for 4, 3, or 2 points. But if you
> give one guess at the title and one guess at the author and *both
> are correct*, you get a 2-point bonus for 6 points. (If only one
> is correct, I'll score as usual for a two-guess response.)

> 1. © 1997. 18 years ago, young Tess McPhail left her tiny hometown
> of Wintergreen, Missouri... She headed for Nashville...
> Now one of country music's brightest lights, "Mac" McPhail is
> a millionaire... Her career is her life. At 35, Mac has no
> time for marriage, children, or kinfolk -- until her sisters
> insist she come home to help care for their widowed mother.
> Mac isn't thrilled about spending a month in Wintergreen.
> But her visit home turns out to be far from dull.

"Small Town Girl" (#6 on the list), LaVyrle Spencer.

> 2. © 1996. Kirkus Reviews says the author "brings an edgy
> authority, a gimlet eye for her city, and a taste for nonstop
> conflict to her new novel." The Hartford Courant says "...the
> crimes are intriguing." And the blurb reads in full: "Meet
> the police department of Charlotte, North Carolina. And find
> out why they call it 'the <title> of America'."

"Hornet's Nest" (#2), Patricia Cornwell.

> 3. © 1997. Charlotte Arkendale knew all there was to know about
> men. After all, she'd made a career of steering marriage-minded
> women away from untrustworthy members of the opposite sex.
> Yet nothing could have prepared her for Baxter St. Ives -- an
> arresting stranger too daring, too determined, too *dangerous*
> to be her new man-of-affairs. Still, perhaps he was the perfect
> person to help her investigate the recent murder of one of
> her clients. So she gave him the chance, never realizing
> that Baxter, a gifted scientist, would soon conduct a risky
> exploration into the alchemy of desire...

"Affair" (#8), Amanda Quick.

> 4. © 1996. Winner of the Commonwealth Prize for Best First
> Novel, the CAA Literary Award for fiction, and the Dartmouth
> Award for fiction; the Globe & Mail's Editor's Choice and Notable
> Book of the Year. No further blurb. The Vancouver Sun says,
> "Brilliant... profoundly and refreshingly different. <title>
> is about family secrets, the deeply buried events, memories,
> and motivations that make human relations an almost impenetrable
> mystery. The author has constructed a plot worthy of Victor
> Hugo, a novel that is like peeling an onion (not without tears)."

"Fall on your Knees" (#9), Ann-Marie MacDonald.

> 5. © 1998. They are the galaxy's most elite fighting force.
> And as the battle against the Empire rages, the X-Wing pilots
> risk life and machines against the Rebel Alliance. Now they
> must go on a daring undercover mission -- as the crew of an
> Imperial warship. It is Wedge Antilles' boldest creation:
> a covert-action unit of X-Wing fighters, castoffs and rejects
> given one last chance...

> (Note: This book's full title has four parts! There's a series
> title, sub-series title, book number within the sub-series,
> and finally an individual book title. The last part, the
> individual book title, will be a sufficient answer.)

"(Star Wars: X-Wing Book 5:) Wraith Squadron" (#10), Aaron Allston.

In 2009 I wrote: "incidentally, I was in a bookstore recently where
they provided a helpful checklist of all the 'Star Wars' novels: there
have been over 100 of them, and about a dozen different sub-series."
I hate to think how many there may have been *now*.

> 6. © 1997. They had been inseparable as roommates in college:
> Mary Stuart, Tanya, and Zoe. But in the more than 20 years that
> followed, the three had moved on with their lives. By chance,
> each would find herself alone for a few weeks one summer,
> wrestling with both the present and the past. At a sprawling
> ranch in the foothills of Wyoming's Grand Tetons, the three
> women come together and find courage, healing, and truth...

"The Ranch", Danielle Steel.

> 7. © 1997. Once he was a well-liked, well-paid young partner in
> a thriving Mississippi law firm. Then Patrick Lanigan stole
> $90 million from his own firm -- and ran for his life. For 4
> years, he evaded men who were rich, powerful, and would stop at
> nothing to find him... On the edge of the Brazilian jungles,
> they finally tracked him down... And in the Mississippi city
> where it all began, an extraordinary trial is about to begin.

"The Partner" (#1), John Grisham. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. © 1997. One thousand years after the Jupiter mission to explore
> the mysterious Monolith had been destroyed, after Dave Bowman was
> transformed into the Star Child, Frank Poole drifted in space,
> frozen and forgotten, leaving the supercomputer HAL inoperable.
> But now Poole has returned to life, awakening in a world far
> different from the one he left behind...

> (For this one if you give the title we need all of it, including
> the subtitle.)

"3001: The Final Odyssey" (#7), Arthur C. Clarke. 4 for everyone --
Pete, Joshua, and Erland.

I was surprised in 2009 when one entrant knew the full title but
not the author's name),

> 9. © *1987*. In the middle of the South Pacific, a thousand feet
> below the surface of the water, a huge vessel is discovered
> resting on the ocean floor. It is a spaceship of phenomenal
> dimensions, apparently undamaged by its fall from the sky.
> And, most startling, it appears to be at least 300 years old.

"Sphere" (#4), Michael Crichton. 6 for Joshua.

> 10. © 1997. Detective Harry Bosch is back on the job and working
> on the hottest murder investigation in Hollywood. The body
> of a movie producer has been found stuffed into the trunk of
> his Rolls... The money trail leads from L.A. to Las Vegas,
> and Harry's determined to get to the bottom of things... And,
> as if he wasn't knee-deep in trouble already, he's about to
> make the biggest gamble of all -- on love.

"Trunk Music" (#5), Michael Connelly.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Lit Sci Mis Can Lit FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 20 32 36 36 8 14 124
Dan Blum 12 31 40 20 -- -- 103
Dan Tilque 8 4 40 16 -- -- 68
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 36 12 0 4 52
Pete Gayde 20 4 -- -- 6 4 34

--
Mark Brader | "My mind is like a steel trap; it snaps closed
Toronto | and is almost impossible to pry open"

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellers

By: Mark Brader on Sat, 8 May 2021

12Mark Brader