From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 7-8: Muppets and disoriented maps
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 21:06:49 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 21 May 2021 02:06 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Entertainment - The Muppets
>
> It's time to put on makeup
> It's time to light the lights
> It's time to get things started
> With Muppet trivia tonight...
>
> 1. He was the originator of the Muppets and a tireless
> performer, producer, and director from the late 1950s onward.
> The """current""" Muppet/animatronics production companies
> bear his name. He died of pneumonia in 1990. Name him.

Jim Henson

> 2. <answer 1>'s key performing partner was the man who gives
> life to characters as diverse as Bert, Grover, and Miss Piggy.
> He """is""" also a prominent Hollywood director, whose
> """latest""" films include "The Indian in the Cupboard" and
> "In & Out". Name him.

Frank Oz

> 3. This 1986 film, directed by <answer 1>, starred David Bowie
> as the Goblin King, and a large supporting cast of Muppets.
> Sarah's younger brother has been stolen by the Goblin King,
> and she must rescue him before midnight, or he will become
> a Goblin... Name the movie.
>
> 4. This 1982 movie, directed by <answers 1 and 2>, had no human
> actors. It takes place on another planet, in another time.
> The time of the great conjunction of the three suns is near,
> on a world under the control of the evil Skekses ["SKEK-seez"].
> Jen, the last of the Gelfings, starts his dangerous quest to
> break their rule... Name the movie.

Pigs in Space

> 5. This TV series (1983-88) was a co-production of the CBC,
> <answer 1> Associates, and HBO. Doc and his dog Sprocket
> have a hole in their wall, behind which live little furry
> creatures... Give the title.
>
> 6. This TV situation comedy (1991-94) revolved around the Sinclairs,
> a lovable prehistoric working-class family of creatures faced
> with modern worries. What creatures, as named in the title?
>
> Now please see http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/7/mup.jpg for
> the remaining questions. The question numbers are indicated on
> the handout: in each case, name the character(s) described.
>
> 7. The Electric Mayhem is a rock band, whose members include Floyd
> Pepper (Guitar), Zoot (Sax), Janice (Vocals), and the bandleader
> pictured here. Name him.
>
> 8. Who are the two old guys in the balcony in "The Muppet Show"?
> Hint: they are named after old New York hotels.

Statler and Waldorf

> 9. No one is sure what species of animal this Muppet is -- he's
> known as a "whatever". He has an -- um -- *fondness* for
> chickens.

Gonzo

> 10. The drummer for the Electric Mayhem, he was the mascot for
> the US snowboarding team at the 1998 Nagano Olympics. (No,
> really!)

Animal

> [...]
>
> For example, say we asked for the country nearest letter C on
> the first handout, which happens to be Argentina (with the square
> marking Buenos Aires). You know the pointy end of Argentina is in
> the south and that the border with Chile, in the west, is pretty
> very close to north-south; therefore you'd find that the B arrow
> points north, and your answer would simply be B.
>
> *Answers may repeat*, so you have 8 possible answers (A-H or S-Z)
> on every question.
>

> For your convenience, in case you don't have an easy way to do
> 45° rotations, I have provided each handout in all 8 possible
> orientations. I think it's easier to try the different orientations
> by starting with a piece of paper, as per the original game,
> since you then only have to pick out the indicated image on the
> paper once. If you're going to do it that way, then I suggest
> printing the *second* one in each set, i.e. files B.png and T.png.
>
> For your additional convenience, the capital letter in each URL
> corresponds to the "north" letter in that orientation. For example,
> Argentina appears "right side up" (north at the top) when B is at
> the top, so you'll see it that way up on image B.png.
>

> Here is the handout for questions #1-4:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/A.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/B.png <- best to print
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/C.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/D.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/E.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/F.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/G.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/H.png
>
> 1. The country reaching out to almost touch letter B, near the
> map of Argentina. This is an island country. I say again,
> what we need is the letter that corresponds to north on that map.

> 2. The other country near letter B, next to the last one.
> This country is adjacent to India.

> 3. The country nearest letter E. Only the main part of the country
> is shown here; this includes some coastline on the Mediterranean.

> 4. The country nearest letter F. This country did not exist
> """10 years ago""".

> Now, here is the handout for the questions #5-10:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/S.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/T.png <- best to print
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/U.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/V.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/W.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/X.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/Y.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/Z.png
>
> 5. The country nearest letter W. This country, too, is adjacent
> to India.

> 6. The country nearest letter X. The equator passes through
> this country.

> 7. The country nearest letter Y. English is the most common native
> language in this country.

> 8. The country nearest letter T. The dotted lines near the center
> of this map should tell you what country this is.

V; U

> 9. The rather similar-shaped country near letter S. This country
> is adjacent to China.

> 10. The other map near letter T, where the outline is a bit heavier
> than the others. That's because I got it from a different
> source, which I had to do because it's not a country like the
> others, but a *state of the USA*. But which way is north?

> 11. That leaves three decoys, which are near A, G, and U on the
> handouts. If you like, for fun but no extra points, identify
> the three countries and in each case tell which way is north.

A might be Mongolia, north is D
G might be Bangladesh, north is D
U is Turkey, north is V

Pete Gayde

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 7-8: Muppets and disoriented maps

By: Mark Brader on Thu, 20 May 2021

6Mark Brader