Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 18:58:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Mary Berney, wife of Edmund Style of Langley Park (1538-1616)
From: frenchco...@gmail.com (Darrell E. Larocque)
 by: Darrell E. Larocque - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 02:58 UTC

On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 1:39:04 AM UTC-5, Brad Verity wrote:
> [...]
> https://archive.org/details/visitationoflond00cook/page/58/mode/2up
>
> With Mary Berney, wife of Robert Jenney (d. 1559) now moved a generation back, that leaves the possibility that John Berney of Reedham (c.1510-1557) and his first wife Margaret Reade had their own daughter Mary Berney, as in the Barney pedigree in the 1891 Visitation of Norfolk volume, where she is married to William Denny. In that same volume, Walter Rye has a Denny pedigree in which “William Denny, esqr, 2nd son [of Sir Robert Denny and Frances Tresham] = Mary da. of Jo. Berney of Reedham in co. Norf.” [pp. 102-103]:
> https://archive.org/details/visitacionievisi32ryew/page/102/mode/2up
>
> However, a query by Rev. H.L.L. Denny to ‘Notes and Queries’ in 1905 casts into doubt the accuracy of the 1891 Denny pedigree by Walter Rye [pp 249-250]: “But to the original MS. of the Visitation an addition has been made, in a different ink, by an apparently later hand. This gives as wife to Robert Denny ‘Frances, dau. Trigham [or Tresham], Esq., of co. Northants,’ and makes him have a second son William, who, by a Barney of Reedham, Norfolk, had Thomas and Syndrack Denny, who left numerous issue. This whole pedigree, addition and all, is printed in the Harleian Society’s ‘Visitation of Norfolk.’…I am myself inclined to think that this unconsidered younger son, Robert Denny, has been made by some enterprising genealogist a peg whereupon to hang a pedigree.”:
> https://books.google.com/books?id=S92ddIdH3UIC&pg=PA249&lpg=PA249&dq=Sir+Robert+Denny+married+Frances+Tresham&source=bl&ots=cS41V1cr_i&sig=ACfU3U13GBmpIYO7gugbsDvWetO4sCpLBg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjNgca9hYj0AhXRwJ4KHW8kDd8Q6AF6BAgPEAM#v=onepage&q=Sir%20Robert%20Denny%20married%20Frances%20Tresham&f=false
>
> John Berney of Reedham (c.1510-1557) did have a daughter named Mary, who, along with her sisters Thomasine, Elizabeth, Ursula and Ela, was under age 18 and not yet married when he wrote his will (dated 30 January 1554), “daughter Mary Berney - a flower of gold with diamonds, which was her mother's … my said daughters Mary, Thomasyne, Elizabeth, Ursula & Ele - 100 marks each at age 18 or day of marriage, with remainder to my son Henry Berney; my daughters to marry with the consent of my mother, my brother in law Augustine Stywarde, my sister Harward & my executors;if not, then to have only £20”:
> https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/b/o/l/Andrew-N-BOLS/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0110.html
>
> Does anyone know of a detailed pedigree, or article, on the Style family of Langley Park? The chronology suggests that the Mary Berney who was the wife of Edmund Style of Langley Park (1538-1616) would fit as the daughter of John Berney of Reedham (c.1510-1557) and his first wife Margaret Reade (d.. 1548) named Mary.

Brad.

Once again this line is in my sights! This time it looks like it is my ancestry, and I had no idea.

Did Douglas ever confirm that this was correct or incorrect? Thank you!

Thomasine Berney, daughter of John Berney and Margaret Read and wife of Thomas Osborn/Osborne

Sources:

"five daughters, Mary (wife of Robert Jenney, Esq.), Thomasine (wife of Thomas Osborn, Esq.), Elizabeth, Ursula, and Ela"
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Plantagenet_Ancestry_A_Study_In_Colonial/kjme027UeagC?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=Berney%20Osborn

"John Berney, who first married Margaret, daughter of William Reade of Beccles, in Suffolk ... He died in 1557, having issue Thomasine, the wife of Thomas Osborne of Kirby Bedon, Esq."
https ://archive.org/details/baronetageengla00unkngoog/page/182/mode/1up

"Thomas Osborne=Thomazin, da. to John Barney in Com. Norf., [daughter] Elizabeth ux. Owen Sheppard of Kirkby."
https://archive.org/details/visitacionievisi32ryew/page/210/mode/1up?

Owen Sheppard was the daughter of Thomasine Sheppard, who married William Barnes of East Winch, Norfolk.

Darrell

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Mary Berney, wife of Edmund Style of Langley Park (1538-1616)

By: Brad Verity on Mon, 8 Nov 2021

20Brad Verity