"Never ascribe to malice that which is caused by greed and ignorance." -- Cal Keegan

devel / comp.lang.forth / Swap Dragon Prize

SubjectAuthor
* Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
+* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
|`* Re: Swap Dragon Prizedxforth
| `* Re: Swap Dragon Prizedxforth
|  `- Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
+* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeRafael Deliano
|`- Re: Swap Dragon PrizeAnton Ertl
`* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeIlya Tarasov
 `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
  `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeIlya Tarasov
   +- Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
   +- Re: Swap Dragon PrizeWolfgang Allinger
   `* Re: Swap Dragon Prizedxforth
    +* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    |+* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeAnton Ertl
    ||`* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    || +* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    || |`* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    || | `- Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    || `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeWolfgang Allinger
    ||  +* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    ||  |+- Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    ||  |`- Re: Swap Dragon PrizeWolfgang Allinger
    ||  `- Re: Swap Dragon PrizeHowerd Oakford
    |`* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeStephen Pelc
    | `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    |  `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    |   `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    |    `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    |     `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeAnton Ertl
    |      +- Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    |      `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeMIchael Kalus
    |       `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    |        `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeAnton Ertl
    |         `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    |          `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    |           `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    |            `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    |             `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    |              `- Re: Swap Dragon PrizeJurgen Pitaske
    `* Re: Swap Dragon PrizeAnton Ertl
     `* Re: Swap Dragon Prizedxforth
      `- Re: Swap Dragon PrizeKerr-Mudd, John

Pages:12
Swap Dragon Prize

<aab1ab58-f59c-4b92-92c7-35ada37740afn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16666&group=comp.lang.forth#16666

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 00:04:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Swap Dragon Prize
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 08:04 UTC

Just fell over the List of people, who received the Swap Dragon Prize
https://mecrisp-stellaris-folkdoc.sourceforge.io/swap-dragon-prize.html

Mostly a German activity,
But 2020 and 2021 are open - is there a reason?

The text from there - for he pictures follow the link

Swap Dragon Prize
Reference: https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/en:infos:drachenpreis

_images/swap-portrait.gif
Every year the Forth Society e.V. honours an outstanding personality for his/her Forth activities. Started in 1986 as a plastic toy trophy, the SWAP-Dragon has been reborn in 1997 as a beautiful bronze sculpture.

How it all began
When the programming language Forth became publically available in the early 80s, the book Starting Forth by Leo Brodie, formerly Forth Inc., was one of the sources for beginners. It became very popular not only because of the entertaining text but also because the insightful images, that described the different system components and operators as comic figures. To explain the operator SWAP Leo Brodie used a little two-headed dragon, which is today known as the SWAP-Dragon. Below is the original comic from the first edition of Starting Forth that allowed so many of us to understand, what SWAP was supposed to do:

_images/comic-strip.gif
The word SWAP is defined to swich the order of the top two stack items. As with the other stack manipulation operators, you can test SWAP at your terminal in “calculator style”; that is, it doesn’t have to be contained in a definition. - Leo Brodie in Starting Forth 1st ed, p.. 44

But this is not the only reference to SWAP in Starting Forth. When SWAP sees the operator ROT, which exchanges the upper three entries of the data stack, he shivered over so much complexity:

_images/rot-strip.gif
The SWAP becomes the unofficial mascot of the FORTH society. Sometimes he appears on Forth-Shirts and on beer mugs (?) - and always in our heads..

_images/swap-shirt_mug.jpg
1986 – A prize is born
On its second yearly conference the FORTH society initiated the SWAP-Dragon prize, with which Michael Kalus was honoured for his enormous work in the early days of the Vierten Dimension, the member journal of the FORTH society. When he was presented with a little two-headed toy dragon, he was so impressed that he declared:

When this all lasts for 10 years, I will donate one made from bronze.

Although it is still unclear, what he meant with this all, it did last for more than 10 years and there are still witnesses for this amongst us.

The plastic SWAP dragon had a notable property. It smelled surprisingly of strawberries! Unfortunately we cannot show that here. (So much for multimedia :-) Here a photo of the plastic trophy:

_images/plastic-swap.gif
The Dragon council
Then it was realized, that it is a full task to find a person to honour – the Dragon council, consisting out of all former prize recipients was formed. They meet every year during the annual meeting of the FORTH society and deliberate over a new member to bestow the honour on. Last year’s prize winner has to contribute at least 3 serious suggestions. The SWAP Dragon bronze sculpture

When it became clear that what was meant with this all, must be older than ten years, the work on a bronze sculpture began. Rolf Kretzschmar, former editor of Vierte Dimension and sculptor, created a wonderful SWAP dragon sculpture, that happily bites into the upper stack entry. Here a photo of the SWAP dragon in bronze:

_images/swap-bronze.gif
The winners of the award
Custodian of the SWAP Dragon
Year Name Annual meeting location
1986 Michael Kalus Buchholz/Nordheide
1989 Heinz Schnitter Aachen
1990 Jörg Staben Frankfurt
1991 Klaus Schleisiek München
1992 Ulrike Schnitter Rostock
1993 Jens Wilke Nürnberg
1994 Jörg Plewe Malente-Neukirchen
1995 Friederich Prinz Berlin
1996 Klaus Kohl Mittweida-Höfchen
1997 Ulrich Hoffmann Ludwigshafen
1998 Bernd Paysan Neukirchen-Vluyn
1999 Fred Behringer Oberammergau
2000 Egmont Woitzel Hamburg
2001 Martin Bitter Hamminkeln-Dingden
2002 Hans Eckes Garmisch-Partenkirchen
2003 Thomas Beierlein Lambrecht
2004 Ewald Rieger Burg-Staaken (Fehmarn)
2005 Johannes Reilhofer Krögis bei Meißen
2006 Carsten Strotmann Witten (Ruhrgebiet)
2007 Anton Ertl Baden (Wien)
2008 Manfred Mahlow Kloster Roggenburg (Ulm)
2009 Stephen Pelc Neuenkirchen (bei Rheine)
2010 Jörg Völker Rostock-Warnemünde
2011 Friedel Amend Goslar
2012 Erich Wälde Beukenhof in Biezenmortel (NL)
2013 Gerald Wodni Garmisch-Partenkirchen
2014 Willi Stricker Bad Vöslau
2015 Karsten Roederer Hannover
2016 Thomas Prinz Augsburg
2017 Klaus Zobawa Kalkar
2019 Matthias Koch ?
© The Swap drawing and other drawings from Leo Brodie’s Starting Forth are copyrighted by Forth, Inc.

© The Swap Bronze is an artwork done by Rolf Kretzschmar.

© The Forth-Shirt is an artwork done by Heinz Schnitter.

English translation by Sabine Bodzian.

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<63dec999-885e-4e7c-ab43-507cb2c35282n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16667&group=comp.lang.forth#16667

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 00:45:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Swap Dragon Prize
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 08:45 UTC

On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 08:04:13 UTC, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> [...]
> 2003 Thomas Beierlein Lambrecht
> 2004 Ewald Rieger Burg-Staaken (Fehmarn)
> 2005 Johannes Reilhofer Krögis bei Meißen
> 2006 Carsten Strotmann Witten (Ruhrgebiet)
> 2007 Anton Ertl Baden (Wien)
> 2008 Manfred Mahlow Kloster Roggenburg (Ulm)
> 2009 Stephen Pelc Neuenkirchen (bei Rheine)
> 2010 Jörg Völker Rostock-Warnemünde
> 2011 Friedel Amend Goslar
> 2012 Erich Wälde Beukenhof in Biezenmortel (NL)
> 2013 Gerald Wodni Garmisch-Partenkirchen
> 2014 Willi Stricker Bad Vöslau
> 2015 Karsten Roederer Hannover
> 2016 Thomas Prinz Augsburg
> 2017 Klaus Zobawa Kalkar
> 2019 Matthias Koch ?
> © The Swap drawing and other drawings from Leo Brodie’s Starting Forth are copyrighted by Forth, Inc.
>
> © The Swap Bronze is an artwork done by Rolf Kretzschmar.
>
> © The Forth-Shirt is an artwork done by Heinz Schnitter.

Would it not be nice,
if the official Swap Dragon could be scanned in
- and anybody interested could have the own Swap Dragon 3D printed at home on the mantlepiece or else?

From 2cm high to 2m high ...

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<sto269$v4c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16668&group=comp.lang.forth#16668

From: rafael_d...@arcor.de (Rafael Deliano)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 09:51:21 +0100
 by: Rafael Deliano - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 08:51 UTC

> Mostly a German activity,

Its a Forth e.V. activity,
limited to people attending the Forth e.V. Tagung.

> But 2020 and 2021 are open - is there a reason?

Lack of updating the list.
Usually its covered in the Forth e.V. magazine,
but 4/2021 is not uploaded (yet):
https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/vd-archiv

Normally handed over at Tagung, but 2021
due to online event it moved in its treasure
chest by mail to Wolfgang Strauss.

MfG JRD

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<sto77n$dif$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16670&group=comp.lang.forth#16670

From: dxfo...@gmail.com (dxforth)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 21:17:28 +1100
 by: dxforth - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 10:17 UTC

On 6/02/2022 19:45, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:

> Would it not be nice,
> if the official Swap Dragon could be scanned in
> - and anybody interested could have the own Swap Dragon 3D printed at home on the mantlepiece or else?
>
> From 2cm high to 2m high ...

https://bernd-paysan.de/dragon/

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<sto7v3$tae$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16671&group=comp.lang.forth#16671

From: dxfo...@gmail.com (dxforth)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 21:29:55 +1100
 by: dxforth - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 10:29 UTC

On 6/02/2022 21:17, dxforth wrote:
> On 6/02/2022 19:45, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
>>
>> Would it not be nice,
>> if the official Swap Dragon could be scanned in
>> - and anybody interested could have the own Swap Dragon 3D printed at home on the mantlepiece or else?
>>
>> From 2cm high to 2m high ...
>
> https://bernd-paysan.de/dragon/

Of course if it had seven heads it would be equivalent to having locals...

https://youtu.be/SQiFrLdd-Yk

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<1f2687e8-d98f-416a-8cd0-b4a1f5864b5cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16673&group=comp.lang.forth#16673

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 06:27:04 -0800 (PST)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 14:27 UTC

On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 10:29:58 UTC, dxforth wrote:
> On 6/02/2022 21:17, dxforth wrote:
> > On 6/02/2022 19:45, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> >>
> >> Would it not be nice,
> >> if the official Swap Dragon could be scanned in
> >> - and anybody interested could have the own Swap Dragon 3D printed at home on the mantlepiece or else?
> >>
> >> From 2cm high to 2m high ...
> >
> > https://bernd-paysan.de/dragon/
> Of course if it had seven heads it would be equivalent to having locals...
>
> https://youtu.be/SQiFrLdd-Yk

I would rather go for a real figure -
and there is even the fire of CLF visible ...
https://www.hamleys.com/papo-two-headed-dragon-gold-figure

But would still prefer a scan and 3d print of the real thing given out every year.

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<2022Feb6.154720@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16674&group=comp.lang.forth#16674

From: ant...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 14:47:20 GMT
 by: Anton Ertl - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 14:47 UTC

Rafael Deliano <rafael_deliano@arcor.de> writes:
>limited to people attending the Forth e.V. Tagung.

Matthias Koch is the exception that proves the rule.

>> But 2020 and 2021 are open - is there a reason?

2020 no Dragon Council meeting was held, so Swappie could not tell the
Council who he thinks is the most worthy among the Forth-Tagung
participants.

As for 2021:

>Normally handed over at Tagung, but 2021
>due to online event it moved in its treasure
>chest by mail to Wolfgang Strauss.

- anton
EuroForth 2021: https://euro.theforth.net/2021

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<34c81a95-ae1f-447b-8e92-e4f04c4a5c70n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16675&group=comp.lang.forth#16675

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 07:03:59 -0800 (PST)
From: ilya74.t...@gmail.com (Ilya Tarasov)
 by: Ilya Tarasov - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 15:03 UTC

> Swap Dragon Prize
> Reference: https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/en:infos:drachenpreis

It's so nice to see a whole bundle of people implemented real useful things.. or not? :)
Well, at least they have a pretty looking dragon ;)

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<28ac5f8a-130d-4862-94f3-d0e9bfaa7850n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16680&group=comp.lang.forth#16680

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 08:25:06 -0800 (PST)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 16:25 UTC

On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 15:04:01 UTC, Ilya Tarasov wrote:
> > Swap Dragon Prize
> > Reference: https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/en:infos:drachenpreis
> It's so nice to see a whole bundle of people implemented real useful things.. or not? :)
> Well, at least they have a pretty looking dragon ;)

As far as I understood,
they own it for one year
and then it is handed over to the next owner for one year.

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<84fe180b-f9ca-46cb-a110-ccdb8f0d3424n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16681&group=comp.lang.forth#16681

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 08:55:10 -0800 (PST)
From: ilya74.t...@gmail.com (Ilya Tarasov)
 by: Ilya Tarasov - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 16:55 UTC

воскресенье, 6 февраля 2022 г. в 19:25:08 UTC+3, jpit...@gmail.com:
> On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 15:04:01 UTC, Ilya Tarasov wrote:
> > > Swap Dragon Prize
> > > Reference: https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/en:infos:drachenpreis
> > It's so nice to see a whole bundle of people implemented real useful things.. or not? :)
> > Well, at least they have a pretty looking dragon ;)
> As far as I understood,
> they own it for one year
> and then it is handed over to the next owner for one year.

Well, this changes everything! :) Now I'm calm about Forth future.

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<0ca9adce-bb85-4ec9-9e02-c6f7e639f5een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16684&group=comp.lang.forth#16684

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 10:30:35 -0800 (PST)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 18:30 UTC

On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 16:55:12 UTC, Ilya Tarasov wrote:
> воскресенье, 6 февраля 2022 г. в 19:25:08 UTC+3, jpit...@gmail.com:
> > > It's so nice to see a whole bundle of people implemented real useful things.. or not? :)
> > > Well, at least they have a pretty looking dragon ;)
> > As far as I understood,
> > they own it for one year
> > and then it is handed over to the next owner for one year.
> Well, this changes everything! :) Now I'm calm about Forth future.

As it will be difficult to get my own Dragon easily,
I found a simpler solution:
Take one of the dragons from Starting Forth,
get it onto a custom mug
( I have a few with Forth Words on it already )
see here https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/en:various:mugforth
Job done - and I can have a coffee with dragon any time.
and I have it infront of me whenever I want

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<FnNeXUQzQoB@allinger-307049.user.uni-berlin>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16688&group=comp.lang.forth#16688

From: all2...@spambog.com (Wolfgang Allinger)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 17:04:00 -0300
 by: Wolfgang Allinger - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 20:04 UTC

On 06 Feb 22 at group /comp/lang/forth in article 84fe180b-f9ca-46cb-a110-ccdb8f0d3424n@googlegroups.com
<ilya74.tarasov@gmail.com> (Ilya Tarasov) wrote:

> ???????????, 6 ??????? 2022 ?. ? 19:25:08 UTC+3, jpit...@gmail.com:
>>> It's so nice to see a whole bundle of people implemented real useful
>>> things.. or not? :) Well, at least they have a pretty looking dragon ;)
>> As far as I understood,
>> they own it for one year
>> and then it is handed over to the next owner for one year.

> Well, this changes everything! :) Now I'm calm about Forth future.

The owner of Swappie is Forth-Gesellschaft.

Every year with a real anual convention (last 2 yrs failing, thanks
COVID), meets the "Geheimer Drachenrat" (Secret Dragon Council) voting
secretly, who has the honor becoming a new member, because his merrits for
Forth.

This new member will officialy announced as the Honorable new Dragon
Custodian for the current year and in a little ceremony, the old custodian
handed over Swappie.

IIRC last time the dragon was moving in a parcel to its new home, because
there was only a virtual meeting.

Saludos (an alle Vernünftigen, Rest sh. sig)
Wolfgang

--
Ich bin in Paraguay lebender Trollallergiker :) reply Adresse gesetzt!
Ich diskutiere zukünftig weniger mit Idioten, denn sie ziehen mich auf

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<stprn9$1g8j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16697&group=comp.lang.forth#16697

From: dxfo...@gmail.com (dxforth)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 12:13:14 +1100
 by: dxforth - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 01:13 UTC

On 7/02/2022 03:55, Ilya Tarasov wrote:
> воскресенье, 6 февраля 2022 г. в 19:25:08 UTC+3, jpit...@gmail.com:
>> > It's so nice to see a whole bundle of people implemented real useful things.. or not? :)
>> > Well, at least they have a pretty looking dragon ;)
>> As far as I understood,
>> they own it for one year
>> and then it is handed over to the next owner for one year.
>
> Well, this changes everything! :) Now I'm calm about Forth future.

The last person left standing gets to keep it. A good a goal as any :)

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<70eaf2cc-59b2-4a13-8eec-0df3fe274c27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16699&group=comp.lang.forth#16699

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 00:14:02 -0800 (PST)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 08:14 UTC

On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 01:13:16 UTC, dxforth wrote:
> On 7/02/2022 03:55, Ilya Tarasov wrote:
> > воскресенье, 6 февраля 2022 г. в 19:25:08 UTC+3, jpit...@gmail.com:
> >> As far as I understood,
> >> they own it for one year
> >> and then it is handed over to the next owner for one year.
> >
> > Well, this changes everything! :) Now I'm calm about Forth future.
> The last person left standing gets to keep it. A good a goal as any :)

Thanks for the explanations. This was not clear to me.

So 1 year of custodian work to look after this animal.
Take it out as required,
Keep it happy,
Make sure it does not escape,
Then after a year hand it over to the next custodian.
All based on of work done for Forth.
But not clear
if it has to be based on achievements during the relevant year or altogether.

It is just unfortunate, that with such a system,
neither Chuck
nor Ting
nor many others worldwide
will have the opportunity to get this honour ...
It seems that Stephen Pelc was the only non-German until now.
No female -
in these gender aware times at least Elizabeth Rather should be considered
(stay calm Hugh!)

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<2022Feb7.101559@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16700&group=comp.lang.forth#16700

From: ant...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 09:15:59 GMT
 by: Anton Ertl - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 09:15 UTC

dxforth <dxforth@gmail.com> writes:
>The last person left standing gets to keep it.

No, if the Forth e.V. dissolves, the prize goes back to its creator.

- anton
EuroForth 2021: https://euro.theforth.net/2021

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<2022Feb7.102006@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16701&group=comp.lang.forth#16701

From: ant...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 09:20:06 GMT
 by: Anton Ertl - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 09:20 UTC

Jurgen Pitaske <jpitaske@gmail.com> writes:
>It is just unfortunate, that with such a system,
>neither Chuck
>nor Ting
>nor many others worldwide=20
>will have the opportunity to get this honour ...

Sure they have. They have the opportunity to participate in the
Forth-Tagung, and if they do, Swappie may tell the Dragon Council to
award them.

>It seems that Stephen Pelc was the only non-German until now.

2007 Anton Ertl
2009 Stephen Pelc
2013 Gerald Wodni

It's just that there are not that many non-Germans that participate at
the Forth-Tagung.

>No female -=20
>in these gender aware times at least Elizabeth Rather should be considered
>(stay calm Hugh!)

1992 Ulrike Schnitter
2018 Andrea Heil-Rieger

- anton
EuroForth 2021: https://euro.theforth.net/2021

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<78d083c1-6b20-4bb4-96c4-a23834bd50f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16702&group=comp.lang.forth#16702

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 01:43:55 -0800 (PST)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 09:43 UTC

On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 09:26:00 UTC, Anton Ertl wrote:
> Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> writes:
> >It is just unfortunate, that with such a system,
> >neither Chuck
> >nor Ting
> >nor many others worldwide=20
> >will have the opportunity to get this honour ...
> Sure they have. They have the opportunity to participate in the
> Forth-Tagung, and if they do, Swappie may tell the Dragon Council to
> award them.
> >It seems that Stephen Pelc was the only non-German until now.
> 2007 Anton Ertl
> 2009 Stephen Pelc
> 2013 Gerald Wodni
>
> It's just that there are not that many non-Germans that participate at
> the Forth-Tagung.
>
> >No female -=20
> >in these gender aware times at least Elizabeth Rather should be considered
> >(stay calm Hugh!)
> 1992 Ulrike Schnitter
> 2018 Andrea Heil-Rieger
> - anton
> --
> M. Anton Ertl http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html
> comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/faq/toc.html
> New standard: http://www.forth200x.org/forth200x.html
> EuroForth 2021: https://euro.theforth.net/2021

Sorry, overlooked Ulrike,
Andrea was not in the list I saw.

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<814b01a6-3c90-4b09-a904-5fd0d4bb8163n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16704&group=comp.lang.forth#16704

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 01:58:44 -0800 (PST)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 09:58 UTC

On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 09:43:56 UTC, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 09:26:00 UTC, Anton Ertl wrote:
> > Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> writes:
> > >It is just unfortunate, that with such a system,
> > >neither Chuck
> > >nor Ting
> > >nor many others worldwide=20
> > >will have the opportunity to get this honour ...
> > Sure they have. They have the opportunity to participate in the
> > Forth-Tagung, and if they do, Swappie may tell the Dragon Council to
> > award them.
> > >It seems that Stephen Pelc was the only non-German until now.
> > 2007 Anton Ertl
> > 2009 Stephen Pelc
> > 2013 Gerald Wodni
> >
> > It's just that there are not that many non-Germans that participate at
> > the Forth-Tagung.
> >
> > >No female -=20
> > >in these gender aware times at least Elizabeth Rather should be considered
> > >(stay calm Hugh!)
> > 1992 Ulrike Schnitter
> > 2018 Andrea Heil-Rieger
> > - anton
> > --
> > M. Anton Ertl http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html
> > comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/faq/toc.html
> > New standard: http://www.forth200x.org/forth200x.html
> > EuroForth 2021: https://euro.theforth.net/2021
> Sorry, overlooked Ulrike,
> Andrea was not in the list I saw.

Just looked at Bernd's Dragon moving:
https://bernd-paysan.de/dragon/

Unfortunately the link to the cave is dead.

Text from there:
Swap Dragon Images
Due to a request (hi Marcel!), here are some larger images of the animated swap dragon, and the sources for a quick view. This page is best viewed with a really good monitor(tm), and a large browser window.

History
As the current laureat of the Swap Dragon, the official award and mascot of the German Forth Gesellschaft e.V., I promised to give the swap dragon a new, electronic appearence, written in Forth.
The previos laureat gave it a Web Cave. Here are the pictures:

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<2830d80b-6e10-41b9-9d13-638bd2a06fbcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16705&group=comp.lang.forth#16705

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 02:04:01 -0800 (PST)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 10:04 UTC

On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 09:58:46 UTC, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 09:43:56 UTC, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> > > Sure they have. They have the opportunity to participate in the
> > > Forth-Tagung, and if they do, Swappie may tell the Dragon Council to
> > > award them.
> > > 2007 Anton Ertl
> > > 2009 Stephen Pelc
> > > 2013 Gerald Wodni
> > >
> > > It's just that there are not that many non-Germans that participate at
> > > the Forth-Tagung.

> > > 1992 Ulrike Schnitter
> > > 2018 Andrea Heil-Rieger
> > > - anton
> > > --
> > > M. Anton Ertl http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html
> > > comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/faq/toc.html
> > > New standard: http://www.forth200x.org/forth200x.html
> > > EuroForth 2021: https://euro.theforth.net/2021
> > Sorry, overlooked Ulrike,
> > Andrea was not in the list I saw.
> Just looked at Bernd's Dragon moving:
> https://bernd-paysan.de/dragon/
>
> Unfortunately the link to the cave is dead.
>
> Text from there:
> Swap Dragon Images
> Due to a request (hi Marcel!), here are some larger images of the animated swap dragon, and the sources for a quick view. This page is best viewed with a really good monitor(tm), and a large browser window.
>
> History
> As the current laureat of the Swap Dragon, the official award and mascot of the German Forth Gesellschaft e.V., I promised to give the swap dragon a new, electronic appearence, written in Forth.
> The previos laureat gave it a Web Cave. Here are the pictures:

Just found the link to the Dragon,
and here the list is complete and more background.
https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/en:infos:drachenpreis

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<0c82e00c-ed96-43f3-9bcf-a667d6d8e3can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16706&group=comp.lang.forth#16706

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 03:14:27 -0800 (PST)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 11:14 UTC

On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 10:04:03 UTC, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 09:58:46 UTC, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:

> > > Sorry, overlooked Ulrike,
> > > Andrea was not in the list I saw.
> > Just looked at Bernd's Dragon moving:
> > https://bernd-paysan.de/dragon/
> >
> > Unfortunately the link to the cave is dead.
> >
> > Text from there:
> > Swap Dragon Images
> > Due to a request (hi Marcel!), here are some larger images of the animated swap dragon, and the sources for a quick view. This page is best viewed with a really good monitor(tm), and a large browser window.
> >
> > History
> > As the current laureat of the Swap Dragon, the official award and mascot of the German Forth Gesellschaft e.V., I promised to give the swap dragon a new, electronic appearence, written in Forth.
> > The previos laureat gave it a Web Cave. Here are the pictures:
> Just found the link to the Dragon,
> and here the list is complete and more background.
> https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/en:infos:drachenpreis

Unfortunately for me,

the list only contains
YEAR
PERSON
LOCATION where decided

But unfortunately not even a 2 Liner,
describing what the prize was given for
and what the achievement was.
It would be nice if this could be added - at least from now on.

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<str4sf$2ue$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16707&group=comp.lang.forth#16707

From: step...@vfxforth.com (Stephen Pelc)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 12:55:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Stephen Pelc - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 12:55 UTC

On 7 Feb 2022 at 09:14:02 CET, "Jurgen Pitaske" <jpitaske@gmail.com> wrote:

You have to attend in person otherwise you don't touch Swappie's mind.

The location of Forth Tagung is often such that it is difficult for
non-Germans
to get to - they think that is part of the attraction.

If you do not speak German, you are going to miss out on a lot.

However, Forth-Tagung is usually worth attending - I've been to a few.

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@vfxforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, +44 (0)78 0390 3612, +34 649 662 974

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<92f9b923-471b-4932-b570-ee8d7ffef7edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16709&group=comp.lang.forth#16709

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 08:43:08 -0800 (PST)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 16:43 UTC

On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 12:55:45 UTC, Stephen Pelc wrote:
> On 7 Feb 2022 at 09:14:02 CET, "Jurgen Pitaske" <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You have to attend in person otherwise you don't touch Swappie's mind.
>
> The location of Forth Tagung is often such that it is difficult for
> non-Germans
> to get to - they think that is part of the attraction.
>
> If you do not speak German, you are going to miss out on a lot.
>
> However, Forth-Tagung is usually worth attending - I've been to a few.
>

> Stephen
> --
> Stephen Pelc, ste...@vfxforth.com
> MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time
> 133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England
> tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, +44 (0)78 0390 3612, +34 649 662 974
> http://www.mpeforth.com - free VFX Forth downloads

Anybody interested,
can see the picture of the Forth Dragon for the time being here:
https://www.instagram.com/rollemoor/?hl=en-gb
I convinced Rolf to show it for now.
But I think not on the list to be sold.

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<FnRen3jEQoB@allinger-307049.user.uni-berlin>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16710&group=comp.lang.forth#16710

From: all2...@spambog.com (Wolfgang Allinger)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 07:00:00 -0300
 by: Wolfgang Allinger - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 10:00 UTC

On 07 Feb 22 at group /comp/lang/forth in article 78d083c1-6b20-4bb4-96c4-a23834bd50f8n@googlegroups.com
<jpitaske@gmail.com> (Jurgen Pitaske) wrote:

> On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 09:26:00 UTC, Anton Ertl wrote:
>> Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> writes:
>>>It is just unfortunate, that with such a system,
>>>neither Chuck
>>>nor Ting
>>>nor many others worldwide=20
>>>will have the opportunity to get this honour ...
>> Sure they have. They have the opportunity to participate in the
>> Forth-Tagung, and if they do, Swappie may tell the Dragon Council to
>> award them.
>>>It seems that Stephen Pelc was the only non-German until now.
>> 2007 Anton Ertl
>> 2009 Stephen Pelc
>> 2013 Gerald Wodni
>>
>> It's just that there are not that many non-Germans that participate at
>> the Forth-Tagung.
>>
>>>No female -=20
>>>in these gender aware times at least Elizabeth Rather should be considered
>>>(stay calm Hugh!)
>> 1992 Ulrike Schnitter
>> 2018 Andrea Heil-Rieger
>> - anton

Thanks Anton for demonstrating JP's horizon :p

> Sorry, overlooked Ulrike,
> Andrea was not in the list I saw.

Mit Brille wär das nicht passiert! (alte deutsche Werbung)

(This wouldn't happen with a lens)

Saludos (an alle Vernünftigen, Rest sh. sig)
Wolfgang

--
Ich bin in Paraguay lebender Trollallergiker :) reply Adresse gesetzt!
Ich diskutiere zukünftig weniger mit Idioten, denn sie ziehen mich auf
ihr Niveau herunter und schlagen mich dort mit ihrer Erfahrung! :p
(lt. alter usenet Weisheit) iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, iRak, iDiot

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<fdac27eb-1a04-404f-abab-6b5c5bbdd2a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16711&group=comp.lang.forth#16711

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 13:32:51 -0800 (PST)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 21:32 UTC

On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 21:03:07 UTC, Wolfgang Allinger wrote:
> On 07 Feb 22 at group /comp/lang/forth in article 78d083c1-6b20-4bb4...@googlegroups.com
> <jpit...@gmail.com> (Jurgen Pitaske) wrote:

> >> Sure they have. They have the opportunity to participate in the
> >> Forth-Tagung, and if they do, Swappie may tell the Dragon Council to
> >> award them.
> >> 2007 Anton Ertl
> >> 2009 Stephen Pelc
> >> 2013 Gerald Wodni
> >>
> >> It's just that there are not that many non-Germans that participate at
> >> the Forth-Tagung.

> >> 1992 Ulrike Schnitter
> >> 2018 Andrea Heil-Rieger
> >> - anton
> Thanks Anton for demonstrating JP's horizon :p
> > Sorry, overlooked Ulrike,
> > Andrea was not in the list I saw.
> Mit Brille wär das nicht passiert! (alte deutsche Werbung)
>
> (This wouldn't happen with a lens)
> Saludos (an alle Vernünftigen, Rest sh. sig)
> Wolfgang
>
> --
> Ich bin in Paraguay lebender Trollallergiker :) reply Adresse gesetzt!
> Ich diskutiere zukünftig weniger mit Idioten, denn sie ziehen mich auf
> ihr Niveau herunter und schlagen mich dort mit ihrer Erfahrung! :p
> (lt. alter usenet Weisheit) iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, iRak, iDiot

Was fuer ein Arschloch bist denn Du?

Re: Swap Dragon Prize

<26a4feb6-ffdb-4544-a106-ba5d16ed955an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16712&group=comp.lang.forth#16712

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 13:36:23 -0800 (PST)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 21:36 UTC

On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 21:32:53 UTC, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 21:03:07 UTC, Wolfgang Allinger wrote:
> > On 07 Feb 22 at group /comp/lang/forth in article 78d083c1-6b20-4bb4...@googlegroups.com
> > <jpit...@gmail.com> (Jurgen Pitaske) wrote:

> > Thanks Anton for demonstrating JP's horizon :p
> > > Sorry, overlooked Ulrike,
> > > Andrea was not in the list I saw.
> > Mit Brille wär das nicht passiert! (alte deutsche Werbung)
> >
> > (This wouldn't happen with a lens)
> > Saludos (an alle Vernünftigen, Rest sh. sig)
> > Wolfgang
> >
> > --
> > Ich bin in Paraguay lebender Trollallergiker :) reply Adresse gesetzt!
> > Ich diskutiere zukünftig weniger mit Idioten, denn sie ziehen mich auf
> > ihr Niveau herunter und schlagen mich dort mit ihrer Erfahrung! :p
> > (lt. alter usenet Weisheit) iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, iRak, iDiot
> Was fuer ein Arschloch bist denn Du?

Ach, sagst es ja selber:
iDiot