Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 11:03:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FPGA4th
From: myronpli...@gmail.com (Myron Plichota)
 by: Myron Plichota - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 18:03 UTC

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 10:52:55 AM UTC-4, jpit...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 October 2022 at 15:46:54 UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > It seems there are others working in the corner that are interested in this subject,
> > > see about 46.00 onwards, e.g. gelforth
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASgBoKisWac
> > "Others"??? You mean "other", I think.
> >
> > Trying to use Forth as the language to compose logic is solving a problem that doesn't exist. We have Verilog and VHDL as the mainstream languages for logic hardware design and they work well. There are efforts to use C for hardware logic design, which is seldom used. The main justification for using C is to have a common language for hardware and software, so the dividing line is easily moved, allowing one system design to be implemented in different ways with different performance levels. In reality, this is not at all simple to do. Hardware and software require interfaces. When you change the dividing line in the code for that interface and you have to redesign everything about that interface. So it is seldom used this way.
> >
> > I stand by my statement that using Forth for both software and hardware design is of little value. The fact that you found one guy, who, six years ago, worked on using Forth as a hardware description language, does not mean it is a good idea. If that were true, why has nothing happened with it in the last six years?
> >
> > People like to think that applying Forth to a problem, will make that problem simple to solve. Digital hardware logic design is not a simple task, not because of the tools used. The tools are complicated because the problem is complicated. The existing tools have simplified the work by hiding the complexity as much as possible. This works 99.9% of the time, allowing work to proceed with reasonable speed and accuracy. I can't see where Forth is going to help this at all.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Rick C.
> >
> > +-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
> > +-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
> Well, there seems to be only "ONE PERSON" who does not like this.
> As there are 2 or three people who see it as interesting,
> your importance with your comments is going down to a third.
> AND:
> The number of your posts does NOT increase the importance or value.
> And there might be a Forth Person anyway ...
I respect Rick C's opinions on the art of FPGA design. IMHO his comments are incisive and reality-oriented. I'm pretty sure he has experience in the matter.

Anyone who aspires to create an original computer on an available FPGA eval board can do so using free tools with a choice of VHDL (boo!) and/or Verilog (yay!) HDLs. Icarus Verilog testbenches are *natural* outgrowths of Verilog modules.

Verilog already describes *the desired behaviour of any number of parallel processes, clocked or flow-through*. I don't see a need for an exotic "Forth" front end (to generate what?).

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o FPGA4th

By: John Hart on Thu, 25 Nov 2021

129John Hart