Subject: big db, huh ?
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 10:58 UTC
From: Anonymous <poster@anon.com>
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 03:58:28 -0700
View all headers
if you would like to keep a backup, why don't you compress it (with tar or 7z or something). since the vast majority should be text, the compression rate should be very good, maybe you can get down below 1 Gb even.
about the rest: honestly, i don't consider mobile users at all, so it is good that someone does at least :-). i never tried, but i can imagine rslight performing pretty well in this because of the lean design approach. ff for sure sucks for mobile, because the design was done for screens. vichan could do well also, but as said i just don't care really. :-)

btw, if you keep a backup of your ff, do you think you could roll it out again if needed ? i always found that ff was extremely bitchy about this. for the cases where i wanted to use a backup of ff, i always used a backup of the vm.

Posted on def2.i2p

Subject: Re: big db, huh ?
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 11:29 UTC
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 11:29 UTC
View all headers
Anonymous wrote:

if you would like to keep a backup, why don't you compress it (with tar or 7z or something). since the vast majority should be text, the compression rate should be very good, maybe you can get down below 1 Gb even.

I'll look into that. I don't really know how to compress a mysql database if I don't export it first. I guess they are really files on the file system I could compress, but not sure if I'll break it. I'll wait a bit to see if I can do that before deleting it.

about the rest: honestly, i don't consider mobile users at all, so it is good that someone does at least :-). i never tried, but i can imagine rslight performing pretty well in this because of the lean design approach. ff for sure sucks for mobile, because the design was done for screens. vichan could do well also, but as said i just don't care really. :-)

rslight is meant to be responsive. I do read groups on my phone at work, and sometimes post. It's quite useable, not pretty, but it works ok. The css considers client screen size, and changes font sizes and other things to compensate. I plan to put more effort into this after I feel like I've finally got a more stable piece of software.

btw, if you keep a backup of your ff, do you think you could roll it out again if needed ? i always found that ff was extremely bitchy about this. for the cases where i wanted to use a backup of ff, i always used a backup of the vm.

The main ff site I ran was created from a backup I had from a test site on a vm. Restoring worked fine so I assume it would again. I can't really see why I'd run ff again, but it's probably a good idea to at least archive the backup, considering how much of a pain it is to set up ff again.

Retro GUy

news.novabbs.com