Subject: Re:
From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2019 22:04 UTC

Though I did appreciate the message to help tweak the spam filter :)

lol, you will have more messages like that one.

Posted on def4

From: AnonUser@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 07:02 UTC
trw wrote:

Though I did appreciate the message to help tweak the spam filter :)

lol, you will have more messages like that one.

Very true. Most are caught by the new filter already, but I save them all for review to improve it. Of course there will always be false pos or neg.

Subject: Spam filters
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 07:59 UTC
AnonUser wrote:

trw wrote:

Though I did appreciate the message to help tweak the spam filter :)

lol, you will have more messages like that one.

Very true. Most are caught by the new filter already, but I save them all for review to improve it. Of course there will always be false pos or neg.

Each spam msg is helping improve the filter. Here's the current status:

Rslight can now check all new posts against a spamassassin install (or anywhere it can call spamc). Just a simple toggle in the config file to turn it on/off. I have created some rules that apply better to nntp posts than just relying on checking as if email. Any caught as spam is filtered, and I have opportunity to review manually to find any false positives. Rslight will also produce appropriate message headers if filtering is enabled.

I've written a Fudforum plugin that does almost the same for ff. There are some ways I would like it to work that it does not yet, but it is working. So with this plugin, all posts on a ff install can check against spamassassin.

Fudforum can be a bit difficult as I never really have found decent documentation, and the code is a bit scattered, but I'll keep trying to improve the plugin if I can.

Subject: Re: Spam filters
From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 21:21 UTC
I've written a Fudforum plugin that does almost the same for ff. There are
some ways I would like it to work that it does not yet, but it is working. So with this plugin, all posts on a ff install can check against spamassassin.

Sound like you done a huge work there. Have you thought about giving that to the Fudforum devs ? Mind you, I don't know how alive the development of Fudforum really is...
Another reason for me to move away from it sooner or later...

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 10:09 UTC
On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 21:21:17 -0000 (UTC)
anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous) wrote:

I've written a Fudforum plugin that does almost the same for ff.
There are
some ways I would like it to work that it does not yet, but it is
working. So with this plugin, all posts on a ff install can check
against spamassassin.

Sound like you done a huge work there. Have you thought about giving
that to the Fudforum devs ? Mind you, I don't know how alive the
development of Fudforum really is...
Another reason for me to move away from it sooner or later...

I've considered it, but would like to improve it first. My real goal is
to have messages that exceed the filter level show up as needing
moderation, but ff does something strange with such messages. I haven't
determined where it stores the body yet, and a good way to handle that.

Also, if I mark a message as NOT approved (needs moderation), then
remove the part of the ff code in the post.php that sets it to
approved, it gets approved anyway and I don't know why.

I've completed the spamassassin filter for innd and it's working very
well. It's probably the best place to filter as it doesn't matter what
you use to send the message, the inn server checks it itself. This is
working well right now and I'll continue to monitor.

Also yes, I really don't know how alive ff development is. Most of the
stuff I read to learn what I can to modify things is in posts written
years ago.

Retro Guy

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 00:09 UTC
On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 07:59:39 -0000 (UTC)
Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) wrote:

AnonUser wrote:

trw wrote:

Though I did appreciate the message to help tweak the spam
filter :)

lol, you will have more messages like that one.

Very true. Most are caught by the new filter already, but I save
them all for review to improve it. Of course there will always be
false pos or neg.

Each spam msg is helping improve the filter. Here's the current
status:

Rslight can now check all new posts against a spamassassin install
(or anywhere it can call spamc). Just a simple toggle in the config
file to turn it on/off.

lol, not even trying:

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 02:29 UTC

AnonUser wrote:

trw wrote:

Though I did appreciate the message to help tweak the spam
filter :)

lol, you will have more messages like that one.

Very true. Most are caught by the new filter already, but I save
them all for review to improve it. Of course there will always be
false pos or neg.

Each spam msg is helping improve the filter. Here's the current
status:

Rslight can now check all new posts against a spamassassin install
(or anywhere it can call spamc). Just a simple toggle in the config
file to turn it on/off.

lol, not even trying:

So far, working quite well. I do log anything greater than 3.0 to help
tweak the filter. Also yes, I'm aware that Usenet headers are different
than email headers, and my sa filter takes that into account.

At this point, I'm finding zero false positives but of course have a
few false negatives (which I expect to always have). The set up is
designed to avoid false positives as much as possible.

Also, if you are an i2pn.org peer, these filters to not apply to what
is propagated as received from other peers, this is only filtering what
gets inside my own network (after the peering servers), and what leaves
my network.

Retro Guy

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 19:42 UTC
In any event, I think it is the best way to do this filtering at the level of inn2. This way, you don't have to do specific solutions for each frontend.
I will adapt at some point (when all the other work is done).

From: AnonUser@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 02:02 UTC
Attachments: upload.txt (inode/x-empty)