Every creature has within him the wild, uncontrollable urge to punt. -- Snoopy

sport / rec.sport.soccer / Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

SubjectAuthor
* Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadFutbolmetrix
+- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadFutbolmetrix
+- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Threadmilivella
+- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadThe Doctor
+* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadMH
|`* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadFutbolmetrix
| `* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadMark
|  `- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Threadmilivella
+* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadBlueshirt
|`- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadThe Doctor
+- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadJesus Petry
+- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadMark
+* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadWerner Pichler
|+- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadMH
|`- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadFutbolmetrix
`* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadFutbolmetrix
 +* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadMH
 |`- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadFutbolmetrix
 +* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadThe Doctor
 |`- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadThe Doctor
 `* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Threadmilivella
  +* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadThe Doctor
  |`- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadBlueshirt
  `* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadFutbolmetrix
   +* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadFutbolmetrix
   |`* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadFutbolmetrix
   | `- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadThe Doctor
   `* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadMark
    +- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadBlueshirt
    +* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Threadmilivella
    |+- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Threadmilivella
    |`* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadMark
    | `* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Threadmilivella
    |  `* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadMark
    |   `* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadMark
    |    `* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadFutbolmetrix
    |     `* Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadBlueshirt
    |      +- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadThe Doctor
    |      `- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadMark
    `- Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational ThreadFutbolmetrix

Pages:12
Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<f9b8fde0ae36fb23d30f11ddc528a919@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18257&group=rec.sport.soccer#18257

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 00:14:46 +0000
Subject: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread
From: futbolme...@yahoo.com (Futbolmetrix)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
 by: Futbolmetrix - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 00:14 UTC

Interesting developments for season 58. If we have the same roster of participants as in Season 57, the tiers would be:

Tier 1:
MH
The Doctor
Mark
Futbolmetrix

Tier 2:
milivella
Werner Pichler
Jesper Lauridsen
Jesus Petry

HOWEVER, Blueshirt has expressed interest in joining the game (yay!), and it would be about time that UPT increased its number of players again. Assuming Blueshirt confirms his participation, we would have 9 players, which makes the scheduling a bit tricky. A number of possible solutions:

A) Three groups of three teams, round robin home and away. Four gameweeks in total, each week three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.

A1) Same as A, but double the number of matches: Eight gameweeks in total, each team three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.

B) Inter-tier matches! Three groups of three teams. Each team plays 4 matches against its own-tier opponents, plus two matches against a team from one of the other tiers. We would need 7 gameweeks to accommodate this tournament. 6 regular weeks with 4 matches each (the three intra-tier matches, plus one inter-tier match), and one team gets a bye; and one extra week with three matches, and three teams get a bye. I think I have been able to design a schedule where each team plays exactly three matches at home and three matches away, and no team plays more than two consecutive matches home or away.

C) One group of 4 and one group of 5. The 4-team tier requires 6 gameweeks, but the 5 team tier requires 10 gameweeks for a full round robin. Maybe a shortened/unbalanced schedule for the 5-team tier?

D) We recruit other players (or BOTs) to fill up the roster, so that we have either 2 groups of 5 teams, or 3 groups of 4.

Thoughts?

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<75d4b0a986ef29d0751ad6ff46d0c05a@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18258&group=rec.sport.soccer#18258

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 00:20:25 +0000
From: futbolme...@yahoo.com (Futbolmetrix)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
 by: Futbolmetrix - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 00:20 UTC

Futbolmetrix wrote:

> B) Inter-tier matches! Three groups of three teams. Each team plays 4 matches against its own-tier opponents, plus two matches against a team from one of the other tiers. We would need 7 gameweeks to accommodate this tournament. 6 regular weeks with 4 matches each (the three intra-tier matches, plus one inter-tier match), and one team gets a bye; and one extra week with three matches, and three teams get a bye. I think I have been able to design a schedule where each team plays exactly three matches at home and three matches away, and no team plays more than two consecutive matches home or away.

> Thoughts?

I'll start with mine: I have a very strong preference for option B. Why?

- Almost ideal length of the season (7 weeks), not too short, nor too long (keep also in mind that we are approaching the end of the season for European leagues).
- At most one team per week gets a bye in six out of seven gameweeks. Good to keep players involved.
- If UEFA can do unbalanced schedules, why can't UPT?
- I have spent a good 20 minutes figuring out how to design the schedule. Do you really want all that work to go to waste?

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uuvjvm$3807d$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18261&group=rec.sport.soccer#18261

From: milive...@gmail.com (milivella)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 04:15:17 +0200
 by: milivella - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 02:15 UTC

Futbolmetrix:

> Assuming Blueshirt confirms his participation, we would have 9
> players, which makes the scheduling a bit tricky. A number of possible
> solutions:
>
> A) Three groups of three teams, round robin home and away. Four
> gameweeks in total, each week three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.
>
> A1) Same as A, but double the number of matches: Eight gameweeks in
> total, each team three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.
>
> B) Inter-tier matches! Three groups of three teams. Each team plays 4
> matches against its own-tier opponents, plus two matches against a team
> from one of the other tiers. We would need 7 gameweeks to accommodate
> this tournament. 6 regular weeks with 4 matches each (the three
> intra-tier matches, plus one inter-tier match), and one team gets a bye;
> and one extra week with three matches, and three teams get a bye. I
> think I have been able to design a schedule where each team plays
> exactly three matches at home and three matches away, and no team plays
> more than two consecutive matches home or away.
>
> C) One group of 4 and one group of 5. The 4-team tier requires 6
> gameweeks, but the 5 team tier requires 10 gameweeks for a full round
> robin. Maybe a shortened/unbalanced schedule for the 5-team tier?
> D) We recruit other players (or BOTs) to fill up the roster, so that we
> have either 2 groups of 5 teams, or 3 groups of 4.
>

> Thoughts?

All options would be OK for me. In order of preference:
1. D (if the new players are human)
2. B (it would be cool to use Futbolmetrix' original schedule, and to
have seasons with a different format)
3. A1
4. D (if the new players are bots)
5. A (too short)
6. C (4 gameweek wait is too much, I do not like unbalanced schedules)

--
Cheers
milivella

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uuvq8i$lgg$10@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18262&group=rec.sport.soccer#18262

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 04:02:26 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 04:02 UTC

In article <f9b8fde0ae36fb23d30f11ddc528a919@www.novabbs.com>,
Futbolmetrix <futbolmetrix@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Interesting developments for season 58. If we have the same roster of
>participants as in Season 57, the tiers would be:
>
>Tier 1:
>MH
>The Doctor
>Mark
>Futbolmetrix
>
>Tier 2:
>milivella
>Werner Pichler
>Jesper Lauridsen
>Jesus Petry
>

>HOWEVER, Blueshirt has expressed interest in joining the game (yay!),
>and it would be about time that UPT increased its number of players
>again. Assuming Blueshirt confirms his participation, we would have 9
>players, which makes the scheduling a bit tricky. A number of possible
>solutions:
>
>A) Three groups of three teams, round robin home and away. Four
>gameweeks in total, each week three teams (one in each group) gets a
>bye.
>
>A1) Same as A, but double the number of matches: Eight gameweeks in
>total, each team three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.
>
>B) Inter-tier matches! Three groups of three teams. Each team plays 4
>matches against its own-tier opponents, plus two matches against a team
>from one of the other tiers. We would need 7 gameweeks to accommodate
>this tournament. 6 regular weeks with 4 matches each (the three
>intra-tier matches, plus one inter-tier match), and one team gets a bye;
>and one extra week with three matches, and three teams get a bye. I
>think I have been able to design a schedule where each team plays
>exactly three matches at home and three matches away, and no team plays
>more than two consecutive matches home or away.
>
>C) One group of 4 and one group of 5. The 4-team tier requires 6
>gameweeks, but the 5 team tier requires 10 gameweeks for a full round
>robin. Maybe a shortened/unbalanced schedule for the 5-team tier?
>
>D) We recruit other players (or BOTs) to fill up the roster, so that we
>have either 2 groups of 5 teams, or 3 groups of 4.
>

>Thoughts?

BS have you made up your mind yet?
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uv0v9l$3htjf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18264&group=rec.sport.soccer#18264

From: MHnos...@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:34:29 -0600
 by: MH - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:34 UTC

On 2024-04-07 18:14, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> Interesting developments for season 58. If we have the same roster of
> participants as in Season 57, the tiers would be:
>
> Tier 1:
> MH The Doctor
> Mark
> Futbolmetrix
>
> Tier 2:
> milivella
> Werner Pichler
> Jesper Lauridsen
> Jesus Petry
>

> HOWEVER, Blueshirt has expressed interest in joining the game (yay!),
> and it would be about time that UPT increased its number of players
> again. Assuming Blueshirt confirms his participation, we would have 9
> players, which makes the scheduling a bit tricky. A number of possible
> solutions:

My preferences:

1. Find more players and do tier 3 (or two tiers of 5 ?).
2. Use bots
3. Experiment with a Swiss system ?

> A) Three groups of three teams, round robin home and away. Four
> gameweeks in total, each week three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.
>
> A1) Same as A, but double the number of matches: Eight gameweeks in
> total, each team three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.
>
> B) Inter-tier matches! Three groups of three teams. Each team plays 4
> matches against its own-tier opponents, plus two matches against a team
> from one of the other tiers. We would need 7 gameweeks to accommodate
> this tournament. 6 regular weeks with 4 matches each (the three
> intra-tier matches, plus one inter-tier match), and one team gets a bye;
> and one extra week with three matches, and three teams get a bye. I
> think I have been able to design a schedule where each team plays
> exactly three matches at home and three matches away, and no team plays
> more than two consecutive matches home or away.
>
> C) One group of 4 and one group of 5. The 4-team tier requires 6
> gameweeks, but the 5 team tier requires 10 gameweeks for a full round
> robin. Maybe a shortened/unbalanced schedule for the 5-team tier?
> D) We recruit other players (or BOTs) to fill up the roster, so that we
> have either 2 groups of 5 teams, or 3 groups of 4.
>

> Thoughts?

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<xn0okbzqdhskb9d005@post.eweka.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18265&group=rec.sport.soccer#18265

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 14:45:16 GMT
 by: Blueshirt - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:45 UTC

Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Interesting developments for season 58. If we have the same
> roster of participants as in Season 57, the tiers would be:
>
> Tier 1:
> MH The Doctor
> Mark
> Futbolmetrix
>
> Tier 2:
> milivella
> Werner Pichler
> Jesper Lauridsen
> Jesus Petry
>

> HOWEVER, Blueshirt has expressed interest in joining the game
> (yay!), and it would be about time that UPT increased its
> number of players again. Assuming Blueshirt confirms his
> participation, we would have 9 players, which makes the
> scheduling a bit tricky. A number of possible solutions:

Count me in. If you can fit me in!

As long as the rules are somewhere and I know what I have to do,
I'll give it a go.

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uv12ua$3j1jm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18266&group=rec.sport.soccer#18266

From: jesus.pe...@gmail.com (Jesus Petry)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:36:41 -0300
 by: Jesus Petry - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:36 UTC

On 07/04/2024 21:14, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> Interesting developments for season 58. If we have the same roster of
> participants as in Season 57, the tiers would be:
>
> Tier 1:
> MH The Doctor
> Mark
> Futbolmetrix
>
> Tier 2:
> milivella
> Werner Pichler
> Jesper Lauridsen
> Jesus Petry
>

> HOWEVER, Blueshirt has expressed interest in joining the game (yay!),
> and it would be about time that UPT increased its number of players
> again. Assuming Blueshirt confirms his participation, we would have 9
> players, which makes the scheduling a bit tricky. A number of possible
> solutions:
>
> A) Three groups of three teams, round robin home and away. Four
> gameweeks in total, each week three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.
>
> A1) Same as A, but double the number of matches: Eight gameweeks in
> total, each team three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.
>
> B) Inter-tier matches! Three groups of three teams. Each team plays 4
> matches against its own-tier opponents, plus two matches against a team
> from one of the other tiers. We would need 7 gameweeks to accommodate
> this tournament. 6 regular weeks with 4 matches each (the three
> intra-tier matches, plus one inter-tier match), and one team gets a bye;
> and one extra week with three matches, and three teams get a bye. I
> think I have been able to design a schedule where each team plays
> exactly three matches at home and three matches away, and no team plays
> more than two consecutive matches home or away.
>
> C) One group of 4 and one group of 5. The 4-team tier requires 6
> gameweeks, but the 5 team tier requires 10 gameweeks for a full round
> robin. Maybe a shortened/unbalanced schedule for the 5-team tier?
> D) We recruit other players (or BOTs) to fill up the roster, so that we
> have either 2 groups of 5 teams, or 3 groups of 4.
>

> Thoughts?

I prefer D. In fact, if we don't find other players to fill 3 groups
of four, we might allow top level players to field a "B team" in the
bottom tier (I prefer that to robots).

Tchau!
Jesus Petry

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uv14n1$2gbb$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18267&group=rec.sport.soccer#18267

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:06:57 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:06 UTC

In article <xn0okbzqdhskb9d005@post.eweka.nl>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>Futbolmetrix wrote:
>
>> Interesting developments for season 58. If we have the same
>> roster of participants as in Season 57, the tiers would be:
>>
>> Tier 1:
>> MH The Doctor
>> Mark
>> Futbolmetrix
>>
>> Tier 2:
>> milivella
>> Werner Pichler
>> Jesper Lauridsen
>> Jesus Petry
>>

>> HOWEVER, Blueshirt has expressed interest in joining the game
>> (yay!), and it would be about time that UPT increased its
>> number of players again. Assuming Blueshirt confirms his
>> participation, we would have 9 players, which makes the
>> scheduling a bit tricky. A number of possible solutions:
>
>Count me in. If you can fit me in!
>
>As long as the rules are somewhere and I know what I have to do,
>I'll give it a go.

Option a works !
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uv31bv$4r4k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18269&group=rec.sport.soccer#18269

From: Pammiesh...@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:22:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:22 UTC

Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Interesting developments for season 58. If we have the same roster of
> participants as in Season 57, the tiers would be:
>
> Tier 1:
> MH The Doctor
> Mark
> Futbolmetrix
>
> Tier 2:
> milivella
> Werner Pichler
> Jesper Lauridsen
> Jesus Petry
>

> HOWEVER, Blueshirt has expressed interest in joining the game (yay!),
> and it would be about time that UPT increased its number of players
> again. Assuming Blueshirt confirms his participation, we would have 9
> players, which makes the scheduling a bit tricky. A number of
> possible solutions:
>
> A) Three groups of three teams, round robin home and away. Four
> gameweeks in total, each week three teams (one in each group) gets a
> bye.
>
> A1) Same as A, but double the number of matches: Eight gameweeks in
> total, each team three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.
>
> B) Inter-tier matches! Three groups of three teams. Each team plays 4
> matches against its own-tier opponents, plus two matches against a
> team from one of the other tiers. We would need 7 gameweeks to
> accommodate this tournament. 6 regular weeks with 4 matches each (the
> three intra-tier matches, plus one inter-tier match), and one team
> gets a bye; and one extra week with three matches, and three teams
> get a bye. I think I have been able to design a schedule where each
> team plays exactly three matches at home and three matches away, and
> no team plays more than two consecutive matches home or away.
>
> C) One group of 4 and one group of 5. The 4-team tier requires 6
> gameweeks, but the 5 team tier requires 10 gameweeks for a full round
> robin. Maybe a shortened/unbalanced schedule for the 5-team tier? D)
> We recruit other players (or BOTs) to fill up the roster, so that we
> have either 2 groups of 5 teams, or 3 groups of 4.
>

> Thoughts?

Ideally D, but not with bots. Otherwise C. I don't like B or A. 3 teams
in each division is too few. I think A is less bad than B though.

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<bc5212374e77f6a082ee548bee37e5ad@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18272&group=rec.sport.soccer#18272

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 19:15:37 +0000
From: futbolme...@yahoo.com (Futbolmetrix)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
 by: Futbolmetrix - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 19:15 UTC

MH wrote:

> 3. Experiment with a Swiss system ?

I had thought of this too, but the truth is that I don't really know how to implement it. By the way, I am toying with the idea of developing an Elo rating of UPT players!

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uv62qf$vi11$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18280&group=rec.sport.soccer#18280

From: Pammiesh...@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 13:05:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 13:05 UTC

Futbolmetrix wrote:

By the way, I am toying with the idea of
> developing an Elo rating of UPT players!

I like this idea.

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uv7e5e$1a5f8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18285&group=rec.sport.soccer#18285

From: milive...@gmail.com (milivella)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 03:25:02 +0200
 by: milivella - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 01:25 UTC

Mark:

> Futbolmetrix wrote:
>
> By the way, I am toying with the idea of
>> developing an Elo rating of UPT players!
>
> I like this idea.

I wonder why, Mr. Kasparov...

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uvarl3$28l8k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18297&group=rec.sport.soccer#18297

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Werner Pichler)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 08:33:40 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:JvC/0XYmjduhRBcT16UKJlRUobI=
 by: Werner Pichler - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 08:33 UTC

Futbolmetrix <futbolmetrix@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Interesting developments for season 58. If we have the same roster of
> participants as in Season 57, the tiers would be:
>
> Tier 1:
> MH
> The Doctor
> Mark
> Futbolmetrix
>
> Tier 2:
> milivella
> Werner Pichler
> Jesper Lauridsen
> Jesus Petry
>

> HOWEVER, Blueshirt has expressed interest in joining the game (yay!), and
> it would be about time that UPT increased its number of players again.
> Assuming Blueshirt confirms his participation, we would have 9 players,
> which makes the scheduling a bit tricky. A number of possible solutions:
>
> A) Three groups of three teams, round robin home and away. Four gameweeks
> in total, each week three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.
>
> A1) Same as A, but double the number of matches: Eight gameweeks in
> total, each team three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.
>
> B) Inter-tier matches! Three groups of three teams. Each team plays 4
> matches against its own-tier opponents, plus two matches against a team
> from one of the other tiers. We would need 7 gameweeks to accommodate
> this tournament. 6 regular weeks with 4 matches each (the three
> intra-tier matches, plus one inter-tier match), and one team gets a bye;
> and one extra week with three matches, and three teams get a bye. I think
> I have been able to design a schedule where each team plays exactly three
> matches at home and three matches away, and no team plays more than two
> consecutive matches home or away.
>
> C) One group of 4 and one group of 5. The 4-team tier requires 6
> gameweeks, but the 5 team tier requires 10 gameweeks for a full round
> robin. Maybe a shortened/unbalanced schedule for the 5-team tier?
>
> D) We recruit other players (or BOTs) to fill up the roster, so that we
> have either 2 groups of 5 teams, or 3 groups of 4.

Am I the only one to kind of miss Lassie, Homer and Betty?

Ciao,
Werner

> Thoughts?

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uvbh6c$2di2i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18299&group=rec.sport.soccer#18299

From: MHnos...@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 08:41:16 -0600
 by: MH - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:41 UTC

On 2024-04-12 02:33, Werner Pichler wrote:
> Futbolmetrix <futbolmetrix@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Interesting developments for season 58. If we have the same roster of
>> participants as in Season 57, the tiers would be:
>>
>> Tier 1:
>> MH
>> The Doctor
>> Mark
>> Futbolmetrix
>>
>> Tier 2:
>> milivella
>> Werner Pichler
>> Jesper Lauridsen
>> Jesus Petry
>>

>> HOWEVER, Blueshirt has expressed interest in joining the game (yay!), and
>> it would be about time that UPT increased its number of players again.
>> Assuming Blueshirt confirms his participation, we would have 9 players,
>> which makes the scheduling a bit tricky. A number of possible solutions:
>>
>> A) Three groups of three teams, round robin home and away. Four gameweeks
>> in total, each week three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.
>>
>> A1) Same as A, but double the number of matches: Eight gameweeks in
>> total, each team three teams (one in each group) gets a bye.
>>
>> B) Inter-tier matches! Three groups of three teams. Each team plays 4
>> matches against its own-tier opponents, plus two matches against a team
>> from one of the other tiers. We would need 7 gameweeks to accommodate
>> this tournament. 6 regular weeks with 4 matches each (the three
>> intra-tier matches, plus one inter-tier match), and one team gets a bye;
>> and one extra week with three matches, and three teams get a bye. I think
>> I have been able to design a schedule where each team plays exactly three
>> matches at home and three matches away, and no team plays more than two
>> consecutive matches home or away.
>>
>> C) One group of 4 and one group of 5. The 4-team tier requires 6
>> gameweeks, but the 5 team tier requires 10 gameweeks for a full round
>> robin. Maybe a shortened/unbalanced schedule for the 5-team tier?
>>
>> D) We recruit other players (or BOTs) to fill up the roster, so that we
>> have either 2 groups of 5 teams, or 3 groups of 4.
>

> Am I the only one to kind of miss Lassie, Homer and Betty?

No

> Ciao,
> Werner
>

>> Thoughts?

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<17e98c987c50555968623d0916e0c128@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18304&group=rec.sport.soccer#18304

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 07:17:58 +0000
From: futbolme...@yahoo.com (Futbolmetrix)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
 by: Futbolmetrix - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 07:17 UTC

Werner Pichler wrote:

> Am I the only one to kind of miss Lassie, Homer and Betty?

I didn't dislike them, but:
- Often there wasn't a lot of participation in Lassie's picks.
- Betty's picks are feasible for the big leagues, which tend to have odds published well in advance. Not so much for some of the more ...ehm... esoteric leagues that we like to choose (Vamos Tacuary!)
- Homer is fine, doh!

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<1ea6ccca0027f0f6f46c614c231d146e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18322&group=rec.sport.soccer#18322

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:27:13 +0000
From: futbolme...@yahoo.com (Futbolmetrix)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
 by: Futbolmetrix - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:27 UTC

Futbolmetrix wrote:

> A) Three groups of three teams, round robin home and away.
> B) Inter-tier matches!
> C) One group of 4 and one group of 5.
> D) We recruit other players (or BOTs) to fill up the roster,

My reading of people's answers in this thread:

FM: B
milivella: D-humans, B
MH: D-humans, D-BOTs
JP: D-BOTs, D-"B teams"
Doc: A
Mark: D-humans, C
Werner, D-BOTs

D-humans seems to be the preferred outcome, but that's not feasible. So if we exclude that, I see three votes for D-BOTs, two votes for B, and a bunch of others.

This is close enough that I will exercise my gamemaster prerogative and decide for B :-)

So, tiers for Season 58:

Tier 1:
MH
The Doctor
Mark

Tier 2
Futbolmetrix
milivella
Werner Pichler

Tier 3
Jesper Lauridsen
Jesus Petry
Blueshirt

I will post the schedule shortly. Games will start the weekend of April 27/28

Doc, you get to choose the leagues.

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uvmg1e$137eb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18324&group=rec.sport.soccer#18324

From: MHnos...@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:29:02 -0600
 by: MH - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:29 UTC

On 2024-04-16 11:27, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> Futbolmetrix wrote:
>

>> A) Three groups of three teams, round robin home and away. B)
>> Inter-tier matches! C) One group of 4 and one group of 5. D) We
>> recruit other players (or BOTs) to fill up the roster,
>
> My reading of people's answers in this thread:
>
> FM: B
> milivella: D-humans, B
> MH: D-humans, D-BOTs
> JP: D-BOTs, D-"B teams"
> Doc: A
> Mark: D-humans, C
> Werner, D-BOTs
>
> D-humans seems to be the preferred outcome, but that's not feasible. So
> if we exclude that, I see three votes for D-BOTs, two votes for B, and a
> bunch of others.
>
> This is close enough that I will exercise my gamemaster prerogative and
> decide for B :-)
>
> So, tiers for Season 58:
>
> Tier 1: MH
> The Doctor
> Mark
>
> Tier 2
> Futbolmetrix
> milivella
> Werner Pichler
>
> Tier 3
> Jesper Lauridsen
> Jesus Petry
> Blueshirt
>

> I will post the schedule shortly. Games will start the weekend of April
> 27/28
>

> Doc, you get to choose the leagues.

FOr variety's sake, why not have each team in tier 1 play a game against
a randomly selected team in each of tiers 2 and 3 ? Home to the tier 2
team, away to the tier 3..

That would bring it back to a six game season.

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<7b3442cc1c3a21d10f9ab2445b4f2924@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18325&group=rec.sport.soccer#18325

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:01:53 +0000
From: futbolme...@yahoo.com (Futbolmetrix)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
 by: Futbolmetrix - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:01 UTC

MH wrote:

> FOr variety's sake, why not have each team in tier 1 play a game against
> a randomly selected team in each of tiers 2 and 3 ? Home to the tier 2
> team, away to the tier 3..

> That would bring it back to a six game season.

Yes, that's exactly what Option B is. It will be a six-game season (but stretched over seven gameweeks)

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uvmqe9$2cgt$4@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18327&group=rec.sport.soccer#18327

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:26:33 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:26 UTC

In article <1ea6ccca0027f0f6f46c614c231d146e@www.novabbs.com>,
Futbolmetrix <futbolmetrix@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Futbolmetrix wrote:
>

>> A) Three groups of three teams, round robin home and away.
>> B) Inter-tier matches!
>> C) One group of 4 and one group of 5.
>> D) We recruit other players (or BOTs) to fill up the roster,
>
>My reading of people's answers in this thread:
>
>FM: B
>milivella: D-humans, B
>MH: D-humans, D-BOTs
>JP: D-BOTs, D-"B teams"
>Doc: A
>Mark: D-humans, C
>Werner, D-BOTs
>
>D-humans seems to be the preferred outcome, but that's not feasible. So
>if we exclude that, I see three votes for D-BOTs, two votes for B, and a
>bunch of others.
>
>This is close enough that I will exercise my gamemaster prerogative and
>decide for B :-)
>
>So, tiers for Season 58:
>
>Tier 1:
>MH
>The Doctor
>Mark
>
>Tier 2
>Futbolmetrix
>milivella
>Werner Pichler
>
>Tier 3
>Jesper Lauridsen
>Jesus Petry
>Blueshirt
>

>I will post the schedule shortly. Games will start the weekend of April 27/28
>

>Doc, you get to choose the leagues.

Welcome BS!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uvmqh1$2cgt$6@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18329&group=rec.sport.soccer#18329

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:28:01 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:28 UTC

In article <uvmqe9$2cgt$4@gallifrey.nk.ca>,
The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>In article <1ea6ccca0027f0f6f46c614c231d146e@www.novabbs.com>,
>Futbolmetrix <futbolmetrix@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Futbolmetrix wrote:
>>

>>> A) Three groups of three teams, round robin home and away.
>>> B) Inter-tier matches!
>>> C) One group of 4 and one group of 5.
>>> D) We recruit other players (or BOTs) to fill up the roster,
>>
>>My reading of people's answers in this thread:
>>
>>FM: B
>>milivella: D-humans, B
>>MH: D-humans, D-BOTs
>>JP: D-BOTs, D-"B teams"
>>Doc: A
>>Mark: D-humans, C
>>Werner, D-BOTs
>>
>>D-humans seems to be the preferred outcome, but that's not feasible. So
>>if we exclude that, I see three votes for D-BOTs, two votes for B, and a
>>bunch of others.
>>
>>This is close enough that I will exercise my gamemaster prerogative and
>>decide for B :-)
>>
>>So, tiers for Season 58:
>>
>>Tier 1:
>>MH
>>The Doctor
>>Mark
>>
>>Tier 2
>>Futbolmetrix
>>milivella
>>Werner Pichler
>>
>>Tier 3
>>Jesper Lauridsen
>>Jesus Petry
>>Blueshirt
>>

>>I will post the schedule shortly. Games will start the weekend of April 27/28
>>

>>Doc, you get to choose the leagues.
>
>Welcome BS!

North America!

Canadian Premier League

and

MLS
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uvne9h$1cqkh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18331&group=rec.sport.soccer#18331

From: milive...@gmail.com (milivella)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 05:05:19 +0200
 by: milivella - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 03:05 UTC

Futbolmetrix:

> So, tiers for Season 58:
>
> Tier 1: MH
> The Doctor
> Mark
>
> Tier 2
> Futbolmetrix
> milivella
> Werner Pichler
>
> Tier 3
> Jesper Lauridsen
> Jesus Petry
> Blueshirt

The way I did it was:
"Who will play in each tier is decided: players are assigned to tiers
scrolling down...
1. ...last season rankings, considering that 2.I > 1.III > 2.II > 1.IV,
where 1 is the higher tier, 2 the lower tier and the Roman numbers mean
the place in the tier
2. ...then, the ranking of the qualification round for the new players."
(Daniele, is upt_rules.txt in our shared folder)

I think the reasoning behind this rule was indeed to have the winner of
a tier be actually promoted in cases like this.

So the tiers would be:

1
MH
The Doctor
Futbolmetrix

2
Mark
Werner Pichler
milivella

3
Jesper Lauridsen
Jesus Petry
Blueshirt

There is nothing I want less than helping Futbolmetrix vs. Mark, but I
had to say it.

(and, given the inter-tier matches, Futbolmetrix cannot even accuse me
to avoid to play him!)

--
Cheers
milivella

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<uvnhbp$2en9$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18332&group=rec.sport.soccer#18332

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 03:57:45 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 03:57 UTC

In article <uvne9h$1cqkh$1@dont-email.me>,
milivella <milivella@gmail.com> wrote:
>Futbolmetrix:
>

>> So, tiers for Season 58:
>>
>> Tier 1: MH
>> The Doctor
>> Mark
>>
>> Tier 2
>> Futbolmetrix
>> milivella
>> Werner Pichler
>>
>> Tier 3
>> Jesper Lauridsen
>> Jesus Petry
>> Blueshirt
>
>The way I did it was:
>"Who will play in each tier is decided: players are assigned to tiers
>scrolling down...
>1. ...last season rankings, considering that 2.I > 1.III > 2.II > 1.IV,
>where 1 is the higher tier, 2 the lower tier and the Roman numbers mean
>the place in the tier
>2. ...then, the ranking of the qualification round for the new players."
>(Daniele, is upt_rules.txt in our shared folder)
>
>I think the reasoning behind this rule was indeed to have the winner of
>a tier be actually promoted in cases like this.
>
>So the tiers would be:
>
>1
>MH
>The Doctor
>Futbolmetrix
>
>2
>Mark
>Werner Pichler
>milivella
>
>3
>Jesper Lauridsen
>Jesus Petry
>Blueshirt
>
>There is nothing I want less than helping Futbolmetrix vs. Mark, but I
>had to say it.
>
>(and, given the inter-tier matches, Futbolmetrix cannot even accuse me
>to avoid to play him!)

Welcome BS

!!

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<xn0okokbw7menuj000@post.eweka.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18334&group=rec.sport.soccer#18334

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:07:24 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:07 UTC

The Doctor wrote:

> In article <uvne9h$1cqkh$1@dont-email.me>,
> milivella <milivella@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > So the tiers would be:
> >
> > 1
> > MH
> > The Doctor
> > Futbolmetrix
> >
> > 2
> > Mark
> > Werner Pichler
> > milivella
> >
> > 3
> > Jesper Lauridsen
> > Jesus Petry
> > Blueshirt
>
> Welcome BS

I heard you the first time!

Thanks, I will give it a whirl...

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<54fe0efd896bca0b1a39830ca0d608b2@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18335&group=rec.sport.soccer#18335

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:19:09 +0000
From: futbolme...@yahoo.com (Futbolmetrix)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
 by: Futbolmetrix - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:19 UTC

milivella wrote:

> The way I did it was:
> "Who will play in each tier is decided: players are assigned to tiers
> scrolling down...
> 1. ...last season rankings, considering that 2.I > 1.III > 2.II > 1.IV,
> where 1 is the higher tier, 2 the lower tier and the Roman numbers mean
> the place in the tier
> 2. ...then, the ranking of the qualification round for the new players."
> (Daniele, is upt_rules.txt in our shared folder)

> I think the reasoning behind this rule was indeed to have the winner of
> a tier be actually promoted in cases like this.

Ah well, if it says so in the rules...

> So the tiers would be:

> 1
> MH
> The Doctor
> Futbolmetrix

> 2
> Mark
> Werner Pichler
> milivella

> 3
> Jesper Lauridsen
> Jesus Petry
> Blueshirt

Fair enough, we'll go with these tiers.

> There is nothing I want less than helping Futbolmetrix vs. Mark, but I
> had to say it.

> (and, given the inter-tier matches, Futbolmetrix cannot even accuse me
> to avoid to play him!)

2 guaranteed matches versus a 33% chance of a single match...Someone *is* running away scared

Re: Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 58 Organizational Thread

<c956f414a7c0224cb7bff59c9a3f43c7@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=18343&group=rec.sport.soccer#18343

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:48:06 +0000
From: futbolme...@yahoo.com (Futbolmetrix)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
 by: Futbolmetrix - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:48 UTC

Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Fair enough, we'll go with these tiers.

This is the schedule:

MD1 MD2 MD3 MD4 MD5 MD6 MD7
A1-A2 A2-A3 A3-A1 A1-A3 C3-A3 A2-A1 A3-A2
B1-B2 B2-B3 B3-B1 B1-B3 B1-C2 B2-B1 B3-B2
C1-C2 C3-C1 C3-C2 C2-C3 B2-A2 C2-C1 C1-C3
A3-B3 C2-A1 C1-B2 A2-C1 A1, B3, C1 bye B3-C3 A1-B1
C3 bye B1 bye A2 bye B2 bye A3 bye C2 bye