Where are the calculations that go with a calculated risk?

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on buses

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesChris L Peterson
+* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesW
|+* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesChris L Peterson
||`- Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesW
|+* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesChris L Peterson
||`- Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesW
|+- Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesW
|`* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesMike Collins
| `- Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesQuadibloc
`* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesQuadibloc
 +- Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesGerald Kelleher
 `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesChris L Peterson
  `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesW
   `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesChris L Peterson
    +- Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesGerald Kelleher
    +* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesQuadibloc
    |`* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesQuadibloc
    | `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesChris L Peterson
    |  `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesW
    |   `- Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesChris L Peterson
    `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesW
     `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesChris L Peterson
      `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesW
       `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesChris L Peterson
        `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesGerald Kelleher
         `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busespalsing
          `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesGerald Kelleher
           `* Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busespalsing
            `- Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on busesGerald Kelleher

Pages:12
Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on buses

<47e886e9-5392-46c6-8d2e-87380ec24b0an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10102&group=sci.astro.amateur#10102

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 14:01:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on buses
From: pnals...@gmail.com (palsing)
 by: palsing - Fri, 5 May 2023 21:01 UTC

On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 11:56:10 AM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

>The disappearance of many from this forum is a testament to avoiding dealing with evil and what is left behind are those who lost the struggle with themselves a long time ago by projecting contentions on to others with the same failings.

And yet, here you are! Apparently, you lost the struggle!

Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on buses

<560ac364-a38f-4f25-8379-c3a63c885ad1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10103&group=sci.astro.amateur#10103

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 14:18:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Fri, 5 May 2023 21:18 UTC

On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 10:01:54 PM UTC+1, palsing wrote:
> On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 11:56:10 AM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
>
> >The disappearance of many from this forum is a testament to avoiding dealing with evil and what is left behind are those who lost the struggle with themselves a long time ago by projecting contentions on to others with the same failings.
> And yet, here you are! Apparently, you lost the struggle!

Are you going to tell me how astronomers know about the motion of Mercury and Venus and how to set up their back-and-forth ( direct/retrograde) motions around our central star as seen from a slower-moving Earth?-

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2uCtot1aDg

It takes genuine creative and productive people to know that, aside from the gifts of God, we are bound to face external and internal challenges yet continue to produce in the most hostile and vacant atmospheres-

" And now, brother, listen to the conclusion. Above all the graces and all the gifts of the Holy Spirit which Christ grants to his friends, is the grace of overcoming oneself, and accepting willingly, out of love for Christ, all suffering, injury, discomfort and contempt; for in all other gifts of God we cannot glory, seeing they proceed not from ourselves but from God," St Francis of Assisi

It is not suffering for its own sake but the love of all there is and that few people come to understand in their journey through life.

Carry on talking about your backsides and padded seats, it is a cry of pain among those who have lost the struggle with evil.

Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on buses

<a5f36854-e90f-43e2-a1f8-6a9702fe285bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10107&group=sci.astro.amateur#10107

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 18:15:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: pnals...@gmail.com (palsing)
 by: palsing - Sat, 6 May 2023 01:15 UTC

On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 2:18:12 PM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
> On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 10:01:54 PM UTC+1, palsing wrote:
> > On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 11:56:10 AM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
> >
> > >The disappearance of many from this forum is a testament to avoiding dealing with evil and what is left behind are those who lost the struggle with themselves a long time ago by projecting contentions on to others with the same failings.

> > And yet, here you are! Apparently, you lost the struggle!

> Are you going to tell me how astronomers know about the motion of Mercury and Venus and how to set up their back-and-forth ( direct/retrograde) motions around our central star as seen from a slower-moving Earth?-

Sure. Here is how they determined the orbit of comets back in the late 1700's...

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2105/2105.03321.pdf

.... and the same calculations were also applicable to both Venus and Mercury... and all the other planets, for that matter. The motions of the inner planets have been understood to a great deal of accuracy for centuries, Gerald, even without the benefit of satellites.

Just because you can't understand the math involved does not mean that the 18th-century scientists and mathematicians couldn't because obviously, they did!

It is *very* common these days to determine the orbit of a newly-discovered comet in just a matter of days, to a high degree of accuracy, and it was also possible a couple of centuries ago... folks back then were every bit as intelligent as they are now!

Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on buses

<dbe840b4-30db-4d10-8756-21202f6b9dbcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10109&group=sci.astro.amateur#10109

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 00:09:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Sat, 6 May 2023 07:09 UTC

On Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 2:15:44 AM UTC+1, palsing wrote:
> On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 2:18:12 PM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

> > > And yet, here you are! Apparently, you lost the struggle!
>
> > Are you going to tell me how astronomers know about the motion of Mercury and Venus and how to set up their back-and-forth ( direct/retrograde) motions around our central star as seen from a slower-moving Earth?-
> Sure. Here is how they determined the orbit of comets back in the late 1700's...
>
> https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2105/2105.03321.pdf
>
> ... and the same calculations were also applicable to both Venus and Mercury... and all the other planets, for that matter. The motions of the inner planets have been understood to a great deal of accuracy for centuries, Gerald, even without the benefit of satellites.
>
> Just because you can't understand the math involved does not mean that the 18th-century scientists and mathematicians couldn't because obviously, they did!
>
> It is *very* common these days to determine the orbit of a newly-discovered comet in just a matter of days, to a high degree of accuracy, and it was also possible a couple of centuries ago... folks back then were every bit as intelligent as they are now!

If it is any consolation, you are the one who alerted me to the deficiency in understanding as the planets move from an evening to morning appearance or from left to right of the central Sun.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.popastro.com/images/planetary/observations/Venus-July%202010-January%202012.jpg

> > People must be truly desperate despite the fact that contemporary imaging makes proof of orbital motion such a spectacular sight to behold.
>
> Gerald, if you really think this is an image, you are dumber than a box of hammers. Just where was this photographer standing in order to get such a shot of Venus BELOW the Sun in his field of view?

I can't look at the Sun at the centre of the solar system directly so now I use the C3 camera to determine that Mercury is about to move outside the Sun's glare and appear as a dawn appearance shortly as it passed between the slower-moving Earth and our parent star-

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

The next event will be spectacular and imitate the perspective of Venus as it passes between the Earth and the Sun while Mercury passes behind the Sun by scrolling the dates forward-

https://www.theplanetstoday.com/

All within reach of students who have the perceptive abilities to appreciate their solar system neighbourhood along with the motions of the planet. It is only dullness that prevents them from enjoying what is their right and from a SOHO satellite with a limited span of existence. This is why it cannot wait.

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Movie: Why they no longer have padded seats on buses