With all the fancy scientists in the world, why can't they just once build a nuclear balm?

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?

SubjectAuthor
* Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Ed Lee
+- Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Fred Bloggs
+* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|`* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Fred Bloggs
| +* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Ed Lee
| |+* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Fred Bloggs
| ||`* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Martin Brown
| || +- Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Fred Bloggs
| || +* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Joe Gwinn
| || `* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Don Y
| ||  +* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Fred Bloggs
| ||  |`- Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Don Y
| ||  `* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Martin Brown
| ||   `* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Don Y
| ||    `- Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Fred Bloggs
| |`- Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
| `- Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
+* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?John Larkin
|+* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Fred Bloggs
||`* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?John Larkin
|| `- Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|`* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?bitrex
| `* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?John Larkin
|  `* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Fred Bloggs
|   `- Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Les Cargill
`* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Don Y
 +- Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
 `* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Ed Lee
  `* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Don Y
   `* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Fred Bloggs
    `* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Don Y
     `* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Fred Bloggs
      `* Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Don Y
       `- Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?Fred Bloggs

Pages:12
Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?

<tigg9b$11dd$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108053&group=sci.electronics.design#108053

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 09:44:25 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 08:44 UTC

On 16/10/2022 04:21, Don Y wrote:
> On 10/15/2022 10:05 AM, Martin Brown wrote:

>>> You need a big bomb to disable the bridge. The experts are estimating
>>> about 50,000 lbs was used, and that's about right. A missile is
>>> comparatively a firecracker compared to that- maybe create a pothole.
>>>
>>> The bridge is not vital. It was only recently completed. A big barge
>>> ferry is good enough for them.
>>
>> Conjecture in the UK is that the bomb was delivered either by boat,
>> barge or aquatic drone see the second video on this page. There is a
>> wake near one of the supports just before the big bang.
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63192757
>>
>> Even on the first video you see substantial amounts of water raining
>> down from the right which would be consistent with an explosion
>> underneath the road deck (exploiting the design of a bridge to damage
>> it). Gravity acts downwards so sudden upwards forces can do a lot more
>> damage to the structure on the recoil when it falls back down again.
>
> Big signs of fire/explosion on top of the roadway -- yet
> none underneath??
>
> <https://twitter.com/N_Waters89/status/1579196213156810752/photo/2>

Possibly because any soot that might have been deposited on the
underside was immediately pressure jetted off again by the water that
you see raining back down onto the road deck a few seconds later.

Water and powerful shockwaves can do strange things.

If the explosion had been on the road itself I reckon any shockwave
hitting the water would drive water away from the bridge not upwards.

Much of the soot seen on the road deck probably comes from the fires
afterwards. If we assume it was a good quality military explosive there
will not be much soot left behind. We may never know quite how it was
done unless someone who designed the device explains how they did it.

I'm a bit surprised the extent to which both cameras were completely
blinded by the detonation flash. Only the foreground girder shading
remains visible in that frame.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?

<tigif4$347vs$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108055&group=sci.electronics.design#108055

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 02:21:39 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 09:21 UTC

On 10/16/2022 1:44 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 16/10/2022 04:21, Don Y wrote:

>>> Conjecture in the UK is that the bomb was delivered either by boat, barge or
>>> aquatic drone see the second video on this page. There is a wake near one of
>>> the supports just before the big bang.
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63192757
>>>
>>> Even on the first video you see substantial amounts of water raining down
>>> from the right which would be consistent with an explosion underneath the
>>> road deck (exploiting the design of a bridge to damage it). Gravity acts
>>> downwards so sudden upwards forces can do a lot more damage to the structure
>>> on the recoil when it falls back down again.
>>
>> Big signs of fire/explosion on top of the roadway -- yet
>> none underneath??
>>
>> <https://twitter.com/N_Waters89/status/1579196213156810752/photo/2>
>
> Possibly because any soot that might have been deposited on the underside was
> immediately pressure jetted off again by the water that you see raining back
> down onto the road deck a few seconds later.

Dunno. None of the photos seem to have precise location identifications.
It seems like lots of random imagery is being pasted together and pitched
as indicative of something conclusive (I particularly enjoyed the X-ray
imagery of the alleged truck bomb).

> Water and powerful shockwaves can do strange things.
>
> If the explosion had been on the road itself I reckon any shockwave hitting the
> water would drive water away from the bridge not upwards.

Unless it drove something (bridge part) *into* the water.

> Much of the soot seen on the road deck probably comes from the fires
> afterwards. If we assume it was a good quality military explosive there will
> not be much soot left behind. We may never know quite how it was done unless
> someone who designed the device explains how they did it.

I don't think the "designer" would necessarily have *expected* the
results we see -- though he may be able to rationalize them, after
the fact.

I look at this and try to identify motive, means and opportunity,
*possibly* leveraging a resolution of any one to help explain the
others.

It seems as if a Ukrainian attack would have chosen a different
target (e.g., the railroad crossing instead of the roadway).
The height of the RR span, at that point, isn't a deterrent as
they could have chosen a point before the RR lines had climbed
to that elevation-over-water.

And, you'd think they would have approached (and attacked) from the south.

A *Russian* attack (false flag), OTOH, would likely have AVOIDED the
critical RR supply line in favor of just "drumming up outrage"
by damaging the less important roadway. (if you assume internal
factions are trying to force Putin's hand)

I'd like to see an assessment of the amount of explosive force
involved and an analysis of the LIKELY size/volume of an explosive
(available to Ukranian vs. Russian actors) required to do that
much damage. That would help size the delivery vehicle.

Finally, an assessment of the timing (not just "now" vs. "then"
but time of day, etc.) and why that was "opportune" (assuming
one would choose the BEST time for such an attack)

So far, all I see are speculation (and my limited surfing
has turned up all sorts of wild conspiracy theories that
each "smell bad" logically).

One can bet that the militaries (of many nations) have better
assessments of these data even if they aren't publicly sharing
them.

What can't be ignored is that taking down all bridge traffic is
not inconceivable and may be far more likely than Putin may
want to admit, given their inability to protect against THIS
incident.

> I'm a bit surprised the extent to which both cameras were completely blinded by
> the detonation flash. Only the foreground girder shading remains visible in
> that frame.

It would be nice if there was high-speed video available for a more
fine-grained analysis. A lot can happen in the time of a single
video frame!

>>> I doubt if anything even using military high explosives that could be
>>> manhandled off the back of a lorry would give such a very big bang.

Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?

<8b54367b-b8cd-4d73-ab92-0bdc97577a39n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108102&group=sci.electronics.design#108102

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 16:51:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 23:51 UTC

On Saturday, October 15, 2022 at 11:41:26 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
> On 10/15/2022 8:30 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> >> Had you been less aggressive in your quoting, you'd have found:
> >> I bet it's a mini-sub firing stealth missiles from the north. Same type
> >> ---------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> that hit the Saky airfield.
> >> I.e., something that came OUT of the water to target the structures
> >> atop the piers:
> >> AND cause the blast damage to appear on the TOP of the roadway
> >
> > There is this:
> >
> > https://news.usni.org/2022/10/11/suspected-ukrainian-explosive-sea-drone-made-from-jet-ski-parts
> >
> > UK gave them some underwater drones, but they were strictly to be used for mine clearing.
> >
> > Ukraine Navy otherwise doesn't have any submarines.
> <https://www.coffeeordie.com/ukraine-kamikaze-drone-boats>
>
> But, none of this is really "evidence".

Some group in Russia did it to justify the bombardment of Ukrainian population centers.

Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?

<9742ee29-e2c0-4e45-81c2-498a8aa7f302n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108107&group=sci.electronics.design#108107

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 17:08:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 00:08 UTC

On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 5:21:47 AM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
> [...]
>
> So far, all I see are speculation (and my limited surfing
> has turned up all sorts of wild conspiracy theories that
> each "smell bad" logically).
>
> One can bet that the militaries (of many nations) have better
> assessments of these data even if they aren't publicly sharing
> them.
>
> What can't be ignored is that taking down all bridge traffic is
> not inconceivable and may be far more likely than Putin may
> want to admit, given their inability to protect against THIS
> incident.
> > I'm a bit surprised the extent to which both cameras were completely blinded by
> > the detonation flash. Only the foreground girder shading remains visible in
> > that frame.
> It would be nice if there was high-speed video available for a more
> fine-grained analysis. A lot can happen in the time of a single

I don't see the road deck being lifted, so that theory is out. HE doesn't flash, thermite does. HE would produce a distorted image looking trough its compression blast wave, I don't see any of that. HE would have wiped that traffic right of the road, none of that happened. A much, much smaller concentrated thermite charge to cut those I-beams would produce all that flash. Ukraine frogmen scaled the pier and installed the charges. This stuff about most surveilled bridge in the world is bs.

Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?

<18brkhd1dmkajtt3l1t7rm28vqv9jt4tm5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108196&group=sci.electronics.design#108196

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 12:33:37 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 19:33 UTC

On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:15:07 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, October 14, 2022 at 8:23:48 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 03:01:01 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
>> <edward....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Ukraine claims responsibility of Saky airfield attack. No air defence alarmed and/or activated.
>> >
>> >https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62821044
>> >
>> >The supposed truck bomb driver is alive and well, under Russian custody. He must be superman to survive such blast from his truck.
>> >
>> >https://www.npr.org/2022/10/13/1128625322/crimea-bridge-attack-theories
>> >
>> >Enforcer has detail analysis of damages, likely side impact of some projectile.
>> >
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ltMCxKOPU
>> >
>> >Does Ukraine have some Stealth Missiles not detected by Russian air defence? We might have to wait until the war is over to get answers.
>> The Russian military equipment, and the operators, are junk. Probably
>> all the tubes were stolen years ago.
>
>To be sold on a black market or EBay... They probably have miscreants "throwing" military successes to Ukraine as well as giving them weapons- FOR A PRICE. "We're going to do a tactical withdrawal today- and leave those ammo depots right where they are. We're not taking them."
>
>In Chechnya relatively high ranking Russian military were selling their advanced SAMs to the separatists.

One advantage to the US style political parties is that they police
one another for corruption. China and Russia are kleptocracies.

I worked on a construction site in the USSR for a while. Not many
people worked much but they stole anything portable. "It doesn't
belong to anybody."

Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?

<ugbrkht7hdpodp89pd9vncfc7mbgbp2tro@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108197&group=sci.electronics.design#108197

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 12:34:52 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 19:34 UTC

On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:55:37 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 10/14/2022 8:23 PM, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 03:01:01 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
>> <edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ukraine claims responsibility of Saky airfield attack. No air defence alarmed and/or activated.
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62821044
>>>
>>> The supposed truck bomb driver is alive and well, under Russian custody. He must be superman to survive such blast from his truck.
>>>
>>> https://www.npr.org/2022/10/13/1128625322/crimea-bridge-attack-theories
>>>
>>> Enforcer has detail analysis of damages, likely side impact of some projectile.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ltMCxKOPU
>>>
>>> Does Ukraine have some Stealth Missiles not detected by Russian air defence? We might have to wait until the war is over to get answers.
>>
>> The Russian military equipment, and the operators, are junk. Probably
>> all the tubes were stolen years ago.
>>

>Whew, good thing the DOD spent like 2 trillion dollars over the past 30
>years to "keep up" with all their "advanced hardware."

Our military stuff mostly works when it matters.

Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?

<60cbf647-8c2f-4ce8-9a76-10679f5979a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108206&group=sci.electronics.design#108206

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 13:37:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 20:37 UTC

On Monday, October 17, 2022 at 3:35:04 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:55:37 -0400, bitrex <us...@example.net> wrote:
>
> >On 10/14/2022 8:23 PM, John Larkin wrote:

> >> The Russian military equipment, and the operators, are junk. Probably
> >> all the tubes were stolen years ago.
> >>

> >Whew, good thing the DOD spent like 2 trillion dollars over the past 30
> >years to "keep up" with all their "advanced hardware."
> Our military stuff mostly works when it matters.

So they want you to think.

Take the first Patriot AA missile as an example. It did work flawlessly with it's flawed design to guarantee it couldn't shoot down a flying barn, so to speak.

Theodore Postal explains:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Postol#Patriot_missiles_in_Operation_Desert_Storm

They had some other wirelessly guided aerial bomb in First Gulf. There was no end of official videos showing this thing going right into target building openings and ventilation grills causing a horrendous explosion that obliterated the entire structure. It was only later the Air Force admitted the videos represented just 3% of the drops.

Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?

<tikjhh$tie$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108210&group=sci.electronics.design#108210

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 22:04:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 22:04 UTC

John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in

> One advantage to the US style political parties is that they police
> one another for corruption.

UTTER BULLSHIT.

MAGA is LAME.

If you do not state against them, you are for them.

Their anti-semetic fascist platform needs to be called out and
rebuked.

FUCK ALL ReThugLeTards, and if you do not agree, then you are one
of them. And you should be exterminated along with them.

You all need to be fed the same hatred you spout. So if you agree
with Trump, you are an anti-semite.

So one lset fucking time, we need to lower ourselves to your level
to put an end to the hatred. Their is no riding the fucking fence on
this.

<https://youtu.be/Ic8tCP2O0qU>

Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?

<tipi9a$3kca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108384&group=sci.electronics.design#108384

From: lcargi...@gmail.com (Les Cargill)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 14:13:46 -0500
 by: Les Cargill - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 19:13 UTC

Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Monday, October 17, 2022 at 3:35:04 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:55:37 -0400, bitrex <us...@example.net>
>> wrote:

Enforcer has detail analysis of damages, likely side impact of some
projectile.

>>> Whew, good thing the DOD spent like 2 trillion dollars over the
>>> past 30 years to "keep up" with all their "advanced hardware."
>> Our military stuff mostly works when it matters.
>
> So they want you to think.
>
> Take the first Patriot AA missile as an example. It did work
> flawlessly with it's flawed design to guarantee it couldn't shoot
> down a flying barn, so to speak.
>
> Theodore Postal explains:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Postol#Patriot_missiles_in_Operation_Desert_Storm
>
> They had some other wirelessly guided aerial bomb in First Gulf.
> There was no end of official videos showing this thing going right
> into target building openings and ventilation grills causing a
> horrendous explosion that obliterated the entire structure. It was
> only later the Air Force admitted the videos represented just 3% of
> the drops.

All weapons are unknown until used in the field.

Don't look into the Mark 14 torpedo then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5Ru7Zu_1I&t=4s

Wicked-good treatise on the thing.

--
Les Cargill

Re: Ukraine: Stealth Missles or what?

<n8vtlhpp4t299vaqqtu4g9oo8v11e4ps60@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=109080&group=sci.electronics.design#109080

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 19:28:04 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 23:28 UTC

A follow-up.

Recently, videos from some USVs (Unmanned Surface Vehicles) apparently
attacking the Russian Black-Sea fleet near Sevastopol (Crimea) were
released.

..<https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1586356804673339392>

..<https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1572683229366308864>

..<https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/09/ukraines-new-weapon-to-strike-russian-navy-in-sevastopol/>

This same kind of USV may have been used to attack the Kerch bridge
between Crimea and Russia.

Joe Gwinn