I know engineers. They love to change things. -- Dr. McCoy

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Printing on mylar/acetate

SubjectAuthor
* Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
+* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateCarlos E.R.
|+* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
||`* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateMartin Rid
|| `- Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
|`* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateJasen Betts
| `- Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
+* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDan Purgert
|`* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
| `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetatewhit3rd
|  `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
|   `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetatewhit3rd
|    `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
|     `- Re: Printing on mylar/acetateBrooke Matt
`* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateLiz Tuddenham
 `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
  `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateLiz Tuddenham
   `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
    `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateLiz Tuddenham
     `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
      `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateLiz Tuddenham
       `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
        `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateLiz Tuddenham
         `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
          +* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateLiz Tuddenham
          |`* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
          | `* Re: Printing on mylar/acetateLiz Tuddenham
          |  `- Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDon Y
          `- Re: Printing on mylar/acetateDan Purgert

Pages:12
Re: Printing on mylar/acetate

<tpeajo$3r54k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113984&group=sci.electronics.design#113984

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Printing on mylar/acetate
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 04:49:12 -0700
<tpda75$3lb32$2@dont-email.me>
<1q48etf.p4xhr11ny5tw2N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>
 by: Don Y - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 11:49 UTC

On 1/8/2023 2:25 AM, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
>>> ... it was supposed to be a continuous process. As only one side
>>> needed to be glossy the idea was to have a continuous slow-moving band
>>> of laminating material, sticky side up, and place the cards on it
>>> face-downwards so they would be drawn through the rollers and laminated.
>>
>> OK. Then, afterwards, separate the units -- instead of laminating them
>> AS individual units. (which is how I'd handle it with my laminator)
>
> Yes. The machine was made from a scrap 'domestic' laminator with failed
> heating elements. I replaced them with aluminium-cased resistors and an
> accurate PWM temperature control system, then mounted it in a frame with
> a feed roll and a 'conveyor rollers' deck to allow the cards to be fed
> in.

So, it was still thermal? I thought the "roll film" was *adhesive*.
As such, you'd just use the rollers to ensure a bubble-free fit...

>>> The main failing was the tendency for the band to veer to one side
>>> because the rollers bowed slightly in the middle under pressure. It was
>>> rather like the way of keeping a flat belt centred on pulleys, the
>>> pulley faces need to be slightly 'barrelled' - but in this case the
>>> rollers were effectively 'waisted', giving the opposite effect, so the
>>> band could not be kept on centre.
>>
>> Hmmm... I wonder how mine would fare if tasked with processing
>> something "long"? Over the course of 17-20 inches, I don't
>> see much skew/slippage -- the bigger problem is having the package
>> get sucked into the rollers before I've lined it up properly
>> ("reverse" is tedious)
>
> I found it ran for about 36 inches before it started to skew; once it
> had started, there was no stopping it until the laminating film hit the
> side guides and began to curl over.

OK. I know that if I feed things crooked, it's a "bated breath" few
moments as I watch the edge creep closer and closer to the side walls
of the laminator chassis... will it clear? or not?

But, the rollers are so tight that there's no way of forcing it to change
direction.

>>> Very few people has smart 'phones in those days, so we had to beg those
>>> who did have them to test our system.
>>
>> But, you could have verified signal with regular flip phones (?)
>
> My own mobile 'phone has buttons (real physical ones) and was on EE at
> the time. Their signal was totally unreliable, even in big towns, so it

"EE" is a carrier/provider?

> wouldn't have told me much. Smart 'phones with multiple service
> providers and QR code readers were very rare at the time, so we had
> difficulty finding someone who owned one and was prepared to spend a day
> wandering around the countryside. Eventually someone did volunteer -
> but he never actually did anything about it.

Yeah, I watch folks volunteer at "volunteer organizations" all the
time... and rarely follow through with their commitments. It's as
if the attention they get WHEN volunteering is all they crave;
they likely figure there will be little more, afterwards.

>> Sadly, I slept the day away. :< Every so often, the body insists
>> on catching up on the sleep deficit -- inadequately. :-/ But,
>> there's always "tomorrow"... (The Pork Dish day!)
>
> I have days like that; they can create terrible backlogs if you have too
> many of them.

I have the opposite problem -- too many LONG days (I forget that I'm
not as young as I used to be and the strings of all-nighters take
a greater toll).

So, to remind me, my body refuses to wake up, occasionally.

Of course, this does wonders for my day-night cycle so any
plans I may have had to do things "when normal people are awake"
usually goes out the window.

Special sunday meal, today, so I must remain awake until a bit after noon...

Re: Printing on mylar/acetate

<1q48qyr.1ynydh11qnjk0yN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113987&group=sci.electronics.design#113987

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 13:43:27 +0000
References: <tp5rj7$2oe02$1@dont-email.me> <1q43gkt.1aide4f31wroeN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> <tp7j28$2ue18$2@dont-email.me> <1q44osy.w006jk1nx1eboN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> <tp9r8u$38492$2@dont-email.me> <1q45ls4.1yz3wnlcfzqrkN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> <tpajhl$3a8fu$2@dont-email.me> <1q46pbw.1812v3arvbsmgN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> <tpbvqs$3h7di$1@dont-email.me> <1q473ey.mnxu1gne20e4N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> <tpda75$3lb32$2@dont-email.me> <1q48etf.p4xhr11ny5tw2N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> <tpeajo$3r54k$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 13:43 UTC

Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

> On 1/8/2023 2:25 AM, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
[...]S individual units. (which is how I'd handle it with my laminator)

> > Yes. The machine was made from a scrap 'domestic' laminator with failed
> > heating elements. I replaced them with aluminium-cased resistors and an
> > accurate PWM temperature control system, then mounted it in a frame with
> > a feed roll and a 'conveyor rollers' deck to allow the cards to be fed
> > in.
>
> So, it was still thermal? I thought the "roll film" was *adhesive*.
> As such, you'd just use the rollers to ensure a bubble-free fit...

The film is probably Mylar and it has a thin coating of hot-melt
adhesive. If it was adhesive at room temperature, it wouldn't unroll
and, if it ever did unroll, it would stick to the guide rollers of the
machine before it reached the heated part.

[...]
> But, the rollers are so tight that there's no way of forcing it to change
> direction.

I tried using a felt-covered bar pressing on the reel as a brake, in the
hope that the drag would straighten the film; it didn't stand a chance.

[...]
> > My own mobile 'phone has buttons (real physical ones) and was on EE at
> > the time. Their signal was totally unreliable, even in big towns, so it
>
> "EE" is a carrier/provider?

Yes, the worst in the UK. I lost credit worth 10 ukp by cancelling my
contract - it was the only time I felt I that I had a bargain from them,
I would willingly have lost 20 to get away from their dreadful
'service'.

[...]
> I have the opposite problem -- too many LONG days (I forget that I'm
> not as young as I used to be and the strings of all-nighters take
> a greater toll).

You can't be that old if you still have all-nighters!

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Printing on mylar/acetate

<tpfg7k$3ut2n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114018&group=sci.electronics.design#114018

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 15:31:15 -0700
<tpda75$3lb32$2@dont-email.me>
<1q48etf.p4xhr11ny5tw2N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>
<tpeajo$3r54k$1@dont-email.me>
<1q48qyr.1ynydh11qnjk0yN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>
 by: Don Y - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 22:31 UTC

On 1/8/2023 6:43 AM, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 1/8/2023 2:25 AM, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> [...]S individual units. (which is how I'd handle it with my laminator)
>>>
>>> Yes. The machine was made from a scrap 'domestic' laminator with failed
>>> heating elements. I replaced them with aluminium-cased resistors and an
>>> accurate PWM temperature control system, then mounted it in a frame with
>>> a feed roll and a 'conveyor rollers' deck to allow the cards to be fed
>>> in.
>>
>> So, it was still thermal? I thought the "roll film" was *adhesive*.
>> As such, you'd just use the rollers to ensure a bubble-free fit...
>
> The film is probably Mylar and it has a thin coating of hot-melt
> adhesive. If it was adhesive at room temperature, it wouldn't unroll
> and, if it ever did unroll, it would stick to the guide rollers of the
> machine before it reached the heated part.

Apparently, both types exist:
<https://www.amazon.com/Self-Adhesive-Laminate-Compatible-Silhouette-Portrait/dp/B08FFCBBYC>

I used to use 2" wide cellophane "packing tape" as a poor-man's
lamination -- it's reasonably thick and easy to apply (trim with
a razor or scissors).

[I still use it as an overlay to protect paper, self-adhesive labels
on storage containers. Cheaper than using "p-touch labels". And, I've
found it helps keep the labels adhered (to cardboard boxes)]

>> But, the rollers are so tight that there's no way of forcing it to change
>> direction.
>
> I tried using a felt-covered bar pressing on the reel as a brake, in the
> hope that the drag would straighten the film; it didn't stand a chance.

But, that wouldn't be able to alter the rate of motion of just one
*side* (end) of the roller -- which, I think, is what you'd need.

Or, a means of relieving some of the pressure so you could tug
on the material to force it back on track.

>>> My own mobile 'phone has buttons (real physical ones) and was on EE at
>>> the time. Their signal was totally unreliable, even in big towns, so it
>>
>> "EE" is a carrier/provider?
>
> Yes, the worst in the UK. I lost credit worth 10 ukp by cancelling my

"ukp" is UK pounds?

> contract - it was the only time I felt I that I had a bargain from them,
> I would willingly have lost 20 to get away from their dreadful
> 'service'.

There are providers, here (resellers... "MVNAs") that will give you
(limited/metered) service for as little as $2.50/month, without a contract
(though some require you to purchase 12 months of service at a time).

For an "emergency phone", it's usually more than adequate. (i.e., a phone
*number* that you neither use to make or receive calls, regularly. But,
rather, only use to notify/contact someone in exceptional circumstances.
SWMBO uses such a service so she can contact me if car trouble or "I'm at
the grocery store. Is there anything we need?")

In general, we aren't fans of telephones. "They exist for the
convenience of the CALLER" I.e., are *intrusive* as the caller
decides when they want to talk to you; you're only recourse is
not to answer! (I got rid of my business line shortly after
having it installed; "Just because YOU want to talk to me
doesn't mean *I* want to talk to YOU!")

Instead, we rely on email and face-to-face interactions. Email
is a win for my contacts (mostly remote) and sleep-wake schedule
(folks tend to get annoyed if you phone them at 3AM). For business,
it's especially useful as it is self-documenting; no need to take
notes about what was said and agreed to in the phone conversation
(and then argue with the other party who has a selective memory!)

Face-to-face for interactions with "locals" for a more personal
interaction. (I walk the neighborhood, daily, so regularly get to
interact with my neighbors -- at least those who happen to be outdoors,
at the time) The downside is that folks are more emboldened to
ask for favors, face to face, as most people have a hard time
saying no to another person's face vs. over the phone or in email.

[SMS seems to be the worst of all worlds! Why would you want
TWO ways for someone to pester you??!]

>> I have the opposite problem -- too many LONG days (I forget that I'm
>> not as young as I used to be and the strings of all-nighters take
>> a greater toll).
>
> You can't be that old if you still have all-nighters!

My body seems to have a different opinion on that... thankfully, mind
seems to be winning those battles (at least in the short-term; I'm
sure my body has something "planned" in terms of long-term consequences!)

Re: Printing on mylar/acetate

<slrntro22s.m08.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114050&group=sci.electronics.design#114050

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 12:27:15 -0000 (UTC)
<tpda75$3lb32$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 12:27 UTC

--
|_|O|_|