Going the speed of light is bad for your age.

tech / sci.electronics.design / California Drowning (on such a winters day)

SubjectAuthor
* California Drowning (on such a winters day)John Larkin
+* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Cursitor Doom
|`- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)John Larkin
+- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Dean Hoffman
+* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Dean Hoffman
|`* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)John Larkin
| `* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Jeff Liebermann
|  `* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)John Robertson
|   `* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Jeff Liebermann
|    `- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Brooke Matt
+* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Cursitor Doom
|+* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)John Larkin
||`* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Cursitor Doom
|| `* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Fred Bloggs
||  +- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)John Larkin
||  +- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Cursitor Doom
||  `- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Cursitor Doom
|`- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Mike Monett VE3BTI
+* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Fred Bloggs
|`* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Jeff Layman
| +- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Fred Bloggs
| `- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Fred Bloggs
+* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Dean Hoffman
|`* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Dimiter_Popoff
| `* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)StupidAs StupidGet
|  `- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)John Larkin
+* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)bitrex
|`* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)John Larkin
| `- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)bitrex
+* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)John Larkin
|`* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)whit3rd
| `- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)John Larkin
`* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)John Larkin
 `* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Ed Lee
  `* Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)John Larkin
   `- Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)Ed Lee

Pages:12
California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<l886shhh13m7dtgmdm0qnpqgdbmie333na@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114467&group=sci.electronics.design#114467

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: California Drowning (on such a winters day)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 13:55:17 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 21:55 UTC

We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
with dogs and kids and mud boots.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0

This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
to fall over when it rains and gets windy.

There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
occasional big one with boulders.

Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
anchors to withstand the forces.

Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater.

I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<27d6shl8t3oe9bp07solgc2f12gg743cee@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114471&group=sci.electronics.design#114471

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:05:49 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:05 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 13:55:17 -0800, John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:

>We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
>with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>
>This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
>Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
>to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>
>There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
>occasional big one with boulders.
>
>Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
>In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
>come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
>anchors to withstand the forces.
>
>Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater.
>
>I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.

I told you over 20 years ago you were crazy to move there. And not
just because of the soil and fog.

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<bda1361c-55d3-4aa6-b177-3d97b7a55e72n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114472&group=sci.electronics.design#114472

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 15:10:14 -0800 (PST)
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:10 UTC

On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 3:55:27 PM UTC-6, John Larkin wrote:
> We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
> with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>
> This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
> Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
> to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>
> There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
> occasional big one with boulders.
>
> Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
> In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
> come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
> anchors to withstand the forces.
>
> Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater.
>
> I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.

I ran across a commentary saying a lot of the recent rainfall could've been saved if
more dams were in place. Some projects were stopped becau

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<014d5dd4-9a35-413c-b8ea-b1128c24b746n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114473&group=sci.electronics.design#114473

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 15:12:48 -0800 (PST)
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:12 UTC

On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 3:55:27 PM UTC-6, John Larkin wrote:
> We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
> with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>
> This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
> Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
> to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>
> There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
> occasional big one with boulders.
>
> Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
> In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
> come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
> anchors to withstand the forces.
>
> Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater. al
>
> I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.
I ran across a commentary saying a lot of the recent rainfall could've been saved if
more dams were in place. Some projects were stopped because of environmental concerns.
Is there anything to that?

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<rud6sh1s8cencpvokj00kgcujvokv5ish5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114474&group=sci.electronics.design#114474

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:17:50 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:17 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 13:55:17 -0800, John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:

>We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
>with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>
>This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
>Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
>to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>
>There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
>occasional big one with boulders.

So you're into landslips. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPMW84Jxio

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<0pk6shl90qqo4pbhqf3rabi6lbjtkfvr26@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114477&group=sci.electronics.design#114477

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:19:04 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 01:19 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:05:49 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 13:55:17 -0800, John Larkin
><jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:
>

>>We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
>>with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>>
>>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>>
>>This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
>>Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
>>to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>>
>>There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
>>occasional big one with boulders.
>>
>>Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
>>In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
>>come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
>>anchors to withstand the forces.
>>
>>Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater.
>>
>>I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.
>
>I told you over 20 years ago you were crazy to move there. And not
>just because of the soil and fog.

I left New Orleans, where hurricanes kill thousands and the mosquitoes
are as big as chickens. Roaches carry babies away. Sugar cane and
ragweed are both major crops; it's hard to tell them apart.

The fog is beautiful.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7stq55244b67o3x/AADykh13tg8W_eNckTPsmnuxa?dl=0

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<35l6shd3q72een2gpl0rlu63p8qbpb903f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114478&group=sci.electronics.design#114478

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:24:34 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 01:24 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 15:12:48 -0800 (PST), Dean Hoffman
<deanh6929@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 3:55:27 PM UTC-6, John Larkin wrote:
>> We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
>> with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>>
>> This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
>> Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
>> to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>>
>> There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
>> occasional big one with boulders.
>>
>> Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
>> In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
>> come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
>> anchors to withstand the forces.
>>
>> Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater. al
>>
>> I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.
> I ran across a commentary saying a lot of the recent rainfall could've been saved if
>more dams were in place. Some projects were stopped because of environmental concerns.
>Is there anything to that?

Yes, it's impossible to add reservoirs, and water is released for the
benefit of some ugly little fish, a smelt or something.

This coastal rain will mostly run off into the ocean. What lasts is
the snowpack in the mountains, like New York. We've had over 26 feet
so far and the season is young.

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<ljl6sh5sgcropc5cl1u5tpt5sjs0gc1m79@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114479&group=sci.electronics.design#114479

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:27:53 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 01:27 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:17:50 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 13:55:17 -0800, John Larkin
><jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:
>

>>We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
>>with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>>
>>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>>
>>This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
>>Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
>>to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>>
>>There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
>>occasional big one with boulders.
>
>So you're into landslips. Here you go:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPMW84Jxio

I that any good? The special effects are, well, tacky.

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<XnsAF8CDA3E13592idtokenpost@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114483&group=sci.electronics.design#114483

From: spa...@not.com (Mike Monett VE3BTI)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 02:27:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Monett VE3BTI - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 02:27 UTC

Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:

>>There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
>>occasional big one with boulders.
>
> So you're into landslips. Here you go:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPMW84Jxio

When you buy a house in California, you get two maps. One showing where the
house is, and one showing where it will end up.

--
MRM

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<aim6shtqcoca8i8dvv4tpd89gs0o8upcil@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114484&group=sci.electronics.design#114484

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 18:39:43 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 02:39 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:24:34 -0800, John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 15:12:48 -0800 (PST), Dean Hoffman
><deanh6929@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I ran across a commentary saying a lot of the recent rainfall could've been saved if
>>more dams were in place. Some projects were stopped because of environmental concerns.
>>Is there anything to that?

>Yes, it's impossible to add reservoirs, and water is released for the
>benefit of some ugly little fish, a smelt or something.

Besides storing water, reservoirs also provide flood control. In many
reservoirs, they are allowed to fill to 100% capacity, only to be
intentionally drained to about 60% of capacity prior to the start of
the rainy season to make room for runoff. This is called "drawdown".
If the reservoirs were at full pool year round, flood control would be
impossible. Another way to look at it is a reservoir that is used for
flood control and starts out at 60% of capacity for flood control is
only 60% efficient at storing drinking and agricultural water.

This is from the TVA and obviously out of the area, but the principle
of flood control is the same:
"Understanding the Drawdown"
<https://www.tva.com/environment/managing-the-river/flood-management/understanding-the-drawdown>

>This coastal rain will mostly run off into the ocean. What lasts is
>the snowpack in the mountains, like New York. We've had over 26 feet
>so far and the season is young.

True. Lake Mead rose very little from the recent rains. Perhaps 1
foot or so judging from the graph:
"Lake Mead Water Level"
<https://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp>
As the snow pack melts, the water level is expected to rise. It will
take many seasons of heavy rains to raise the water level by 183ft and
return the lake to a near normal level.

Note the numbers at the bottom of the graph (under the ads):
Full Pool: 1,229.00 feet
Winter Pool: 915.00 feet
Since Lake Mead is also used for flood control in winter, the lake
needs to have about 300 ft of available capacity.

I have a book somewhere that discusses the engineering problems
involved in building a dam at both ends of Long Island (New York) and
allowing the Hudson River to displace the salt water with fresh water.
That would be a fun project.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<bf3f1436-5732-4366-944c-dbfa4d2effa9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114485&group=sci.electronics.design#114485

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 18:56:05 -0800 (PST)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 02:56 UTC

On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 4:55:27 PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote:
> We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
> with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>
> This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
> Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
> to fall over when it rains and gets windy.

Those were brought there by Australians in the 19th century. Horticultural scientists they were not. The species does not seem suited for hilly terrain.

> There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
> occasional big one with boulders.
>
> Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
> In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
> come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
> anchors to withstand the forces.

Those are not real retaining walls, they're little garden path cosmetics. Real retaining walls at a minimum are tapered bottom to top. The angle of the taper creates a vertically downward force on the base which helps anchor it to resist the horizontal moment force of the soil- which by the way should not be wet because they drain behind the wall to let water out. For seriously important and humongous retaining walls, they go to Mechanically Stabilized Earth walls. The structure prevents the soil from shearing. You've probably seen them on the expressway, tall things, some over 50', face is totally vertical with some kind of decorative block facing. Those things don't budge and they're terrifically conservative in materials.

Here's an example:

https://www.constructionspecifier.com/mechanically-stabilized-earth-walls/

Put one of those in and it's there for life, assuming they were built correctly, and they won't let a whole lot of time pass before letting you know they weren't.

> Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater.
>
> I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<tq0ehp$2a4p5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114497&group=sci.electronics.design#114497

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:46:48 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:46 UTC

On 15/01/2023 02:56, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 4:55:27 PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote:
>> We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
>> with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>>
>> This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
>> Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
>> to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>
> Those were brought there by Australians in the 19th century. Horticultural scientists they were not. The species does not seem suited for hilly terrain.

I suggest you Google "Blue Mountains" and see why they are called that,
and what trees grow there.

No doubt Bill has visited the area.

--

Jeff

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<3h08sh9a9nfjin7tmjvnigvfa6e4avqrpq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114501&group=sci.electronics.design#114501

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 13:41:49 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 13:41 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:27:53 -0800, John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:17:50 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 13:55:17 -0800, John Larkin
>><jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:
>>

>>>We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
>>>with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>>>
>>>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>>>
>>>This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
>>>Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
>>>to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>>>
>>>There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
>>>occasional big one with boulders.
>>
>>So you're into landslips. Here you go:
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPMW84Jxio
>
>I that any good? The special effects are, well, tacky.

It was a film made for children over 50 years ago, and fx were less
refined back then, plus there was no CGI. So not too bad under the
circs.

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<92dfdf59-8743-45e5-9e65-34fdd74b223dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114504&group=sci.electronics.design#114504

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 06:30:23 -0800 (PST)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 14:30 UTC

On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 3:46:57 AM UTC-5, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 15/01/2023 02:56, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 4:55:27 PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote:
> >> We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
> >> with dogs and kids and mud boots.
> >>
> >> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
> >>
> >> This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
> >> Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
> >> to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
> >
> > Those were brought there by Australians in the 19th century. Horticultural scientists they were not. The species does not seem suited for hilly terrain.
> I suggest you Google "Blue Mountains" and see why they are called that,
> and what trees grow there.
>
> No doubt Bill has visited the area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_oreades

They're called Blue Mountains Ash there.

In the Blue Mountains, it is found on steep slopes and ridges, on southern or eastern aspects, from elevations of 600 to 1,200 metres (2,000 to 3,900 ft) and annual rainfall of 900 to 1,400 millimetres (35 to 55 in).

It is found on sandstone soils in the Blue Mountains...surface soil is nutrient depleted, keeping trees smaller and making the roots go deeper. That makes a HUGE difference in sustaining wind resistance and creating a well-anchored tree.

"Eucalyptus trees are native to Australia, where the soil is so leached of nutrients that the trees stay smaller and their roots must dive deep in order to survive. These trees are not likely to suffer damage like that from strong storms and wind. However, eucalyptus trees are also cultivated in many parts of the world with richer soil. In more fertile soil, eucalyptus tree roots have no need to descend very far to search for nutrients.

Instead, the trees grow tall and fast, and the roots spread horizontally near the surface of the soil. Experts say that 90 percent of a cultivated eucalyptus’s root system is found in the top 12 inches (30.5 cm.) of soil. This results in eucalyptus shallow root dangers and causes wind damage in eucalyptus, among other issues."

Read more at Gardening Know How: Eucalyptus Tree Problems: How To Avoid Eucalyptus Tree Root Damage https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/eucalyptus/eucalyptus-tree-root-damage.htm

They are eminently unsuitable for California. And this is especially so in hilly terrain ( forcing asymmetrical root spread), and doubly especially unsuited for urban planting where manmade interference such as roads, drives, walkways, building structures, etc lethally confine surface root spread and anchoring needed for an oversized tree.

> --
>
> Jeff

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<45b1a204-8de2-4a66-ad24-fe6f2e8314f3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114505&group=sci.electronics.design#114505

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 06:40:50 -0800 (PST)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 14:40 UTC

On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 8:41:57 AM UTC-5, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:27:53 -0800, John Larkin
> <jla...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:17:50 +0000, Cursitor Doom <c...@notformail.com>
> >wrote:

> >>So you're into landslips. Here you go:
> >>
> >>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPMW84Jxio
> >
> >I that any good? The special effects are, well, tacky.
> It was a film made for children over 50 years ago, and fx were less
> refined back then, plus there was no CGI. So not too bad under the
> circs.

No CGI necessary, look at real time footage from China, they have the record for all things massive natural disasters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv9iEh2Y_kE

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-landslide-xinmo-sichuan-province-people-feared-dead/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGLqRT9PyyY

...and raging floods like nowhere else, until lately with all the global warming related disasters.

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<69ee5f9b-6880-417e-811d-17b0a7984465n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114506&group=sci.electronics.design#114506

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 06:50:33 -0800 (PST)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 14:50 UTC

On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 4:07:18 AM UTC-5, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 7:46:57 PM UTC+11, Jeff Layman wrote:

> > > Those were brought there by Australians in the 19th century. Horticultural scientists they were not. The species does not seem suited for hilly terrain.
> > I suggest you Google "Blue Mountains" and see why they are called that,
> > and what trees grow there.
> >
> > No doubt Bill has visited the area.
> I've driven through the Blue Mountains. I've never paid much attention to the trees that grow there.
>
> There are lots of different species of eucalypts. Some of them grow pretty tall in hilly areas. I've got no idea which species were exported to California, or where they got planted there. When I was growing up in Tasmania my father was research manager at the local paper mill, which got loads of long eucalyptus logs, cut them up into wood chips, pulped them (by cooking them with NaOH) and turned the pulp into writing and printing paper (which served about 60% of Australia's market at that time).. The business of harvesting the trees was managed by the "forest products" branch of the company, and my younger brother worked for them during his university vacations. I didn't - my job was in the local rutile to anatase processing plant. Both are forms of TiO2 - anatase is used as a white pigment in paint.

Some of the best textiles are made from wood pulp. Seems that would have been a more lucrative industry there.

> --
> Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<17a1fc0a-1c62-4f6c-80b0-9c747c17d168n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114507&group=sci.electronics.design#114507

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 06:56:53 -0800 (PST)
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 14:56 UTC

On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 3:55:27 PM UTC-6, John Larkin wrote:
> We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
> with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>
> This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
> Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
> to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>
> There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
> occasional big one with boulders.
>
> Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
> In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
> come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
> anchors to withstand the forces.
>
> Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater.
>
> I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.
Temptation got the best of me.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3GbF9Bx6E>
Beaches and snowbanks in this one. The fat one, Mama Cass, was
supposedly the only one in the group who could dance.

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<tq17l8$2cp5n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114509&group=sci.electronics.design#114509

From: dp...@tgi-sci.com (Dimiter_Popoff)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 17:55:19 +0200
 by: Dimiter_Popoff - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 15:55 UTC

On 1/15/2023 16:56, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 3:55:27 PM UTC-6, John Larkin wrote:
>> We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
>> with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>>
>> This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
>> Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
>> to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>>
>> There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
>> occasional big one with boulders.
>>
>> Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
>> In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
>> come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
>> anchors to withstand the forces.
>>
>> Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater.
>>
>> I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.
> Temptation got the best of me.
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3GbF9Bx6E>
> Beaches and snowbanks in this one. The fat one, Mama Cass, was
> supposedly the only one in the group who could dance.

And I thought it never rained in California....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmq4WIjQxp0

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<3862bc6f-53ee-4557-9d78-e62c8192fcdfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114511&group=sci.electronics.design#114511

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:03:11 -0800 (PST)
From: buildbet...@gmail.com (StupidAs StupidGet)
 by: StupidAs StupidGet - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 16:03 UTC

On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 7:55:28 AM UTC-8, Dimiter Popoff wrote:
> On 1/15/2023 16:56, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 3:55:27 PM UTC-6, John Larkin wrote:
> >> We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
> >> with dogs and kids and mud boots.
> >>
> >> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
> >>
> >> This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
> >> Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
> >> to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
> >>
> >> There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
> >> occasional big one with boulders.
> >>
> >> Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
> >> In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
> >> come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
> >> anchors to withstand the forces.
> >>
> >> Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater.
> >>
> >> I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.
> > Temptation got the best of me.
> > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3GbF9Bx6E>
> > Beaches and snowbanks in this one. The fat one, Mama Cass, was
> > supposedly the only one in the group who could dance.
> And I thought it never rained in California....
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmq4WIjQxp0

Wrong state! We are in Northern California.

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<94h8shlr178i67g9ab4adu9510kihku9eq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114516&group=sci.electronics.design#114516

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 10:29:31 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 18:29 UTC

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023 06:40:50 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 8:41:57 AM UTC-5, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:27:53 -0800, John Larkin
>> <jla...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:

>> >I that any good? The special effects are, well, tacky.
>> It was a film made for children over 50 years ago, and fx were less
>> refined back then, plus there was no CGI. So not too bad under the
>> circs.
>
>No CGI necessary, look at real time footage from China, they have the record for all things massive natural disasters.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv9iEh2Y_kE
>
>https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-landslide-xinmo-sichuan-province-people-feared-dead/
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGLqRT9PyyY
>
>..and raging floods like nowhere else, until lately with all the global warming related disasters.

We're getting a little rain now.

The worst floods here were in 1862, before Climate Change was
invented, but there weren't as many people to be affected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Flood_of_1862

10 feet of water in a region that averages maybe 20 inches per year.

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<XdYwL.111225$5CY7.32824@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114517&group=sci.electronics.design#114517

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 14:11:50 -0500
 by: bitrex - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 19:11 UTC

On 1/14/2023 4:55 PM, John Larkin wrote:

> We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
> with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>
> This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
> Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
> to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>
> There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
> occasional big one with boulders.
>
> Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
> In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
> come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
> anchors to withstand the forces.
>
> Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater.
>
> I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.

California Dreamin' Hi-Standard cover:

<https://youtu.be/iVm-pTiyC48>

Oi! Oi! Oi!

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<iiu8sh1k4lfra0b1dq1d7962j3kn4dvho9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114525&group=sci.electronics.design#114525

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 14:18:34 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 22:18 UTC

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:03:11 -0800 (PST), StupidAs StupidGet
<buildbetterbilly@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 7:55:28 AM UTC-8, Dimiter Popoff wrote:

>> > Temptation got the best of me.
>> > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3GbF9Bx6E>
>> > Beaches and snowbanks in this one. The fat one, Mama Cass, was
>> > supposedly the only one in the group who could dance.
>> And I thought it never rained in California....
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmq4WIjQxp0
>
>Wrong state! We are in Northern California.

Ca should be three or four states.

And forget the bikini babe idea. The beach girls here wear parkas all
year and the surfers wear wet suits and earplugs.

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<qvu8sh52a6a6jsh505l97tpa6g990hfcoo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114526&group=sci.electronics.design#114526

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 14:20:02 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 22:20 UTC

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023 14:11:50 -0500, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 1/14/2023 4:55 PM, John Larkin wrote:
>>
>> We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
>> with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>>
>> This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
>> Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
>> to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>>
>> There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
>> occasional big one with boulders.
>>
>> Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
>> In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
>> come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
>> anchors to withstand the forces.
>>
>> Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater.
>>
>> I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.
>>

>California Dreamin' Hi-Standard cover:
>
><https://youtu.be/iVm-pTiyC48>
>
>Oi! Oi! Oi!

That's awful.

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<k74bshhoolpth3hqeo7kr11iss0s0qfjr6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114592&group=sci.electronics.design#114592

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 10:01:42 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 18:01 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 13:55:17 -0800, John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:

>We got a break between storms and everybody with cabin fever is out
>with dogs and kids and mud boots.
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3pmtrmy5u2h3j/AABuCb9jOATepKLZJvwjSZ_ta?dl=0
>
>This terrain here is hilly, typically a layer of dirt over rock.
>Non-native shallow-rooted trees, like the super tall eucalyptus, tend
>to fall over when it rains and gets windy.
>
>There are little slips and slides everywhere on steep slopes, and the
>occasional big one with boulders.
>
>Lots of houses have retaining walls so they can have a bit of garden.
>In the summer, the soil dries out and compacts. Then when the rains
>come, the dirt expands and pushes the walls over. It takes serious
>anchors to withstand the forces.
>
>Our seasonal stream, Islais Creek, is running. Class 0 whitewater.
>
>I'll add more pix as things get worse. Lots more storms are expected.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/in-california-a-drought-turned-to-floods-forecasters-didn-t-see-it-coming/ar-AA16n82L

Re: California Drowning (on such a winters day)

<776a726a-e6eb-486d-910a-bab979d965cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114595&group=sci.electronics.design#114595

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 11:28:51 -0800 (PST)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 19:28 UTC

On Monday, January 16, 2023 at 10:01:53 AM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:

> https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/in-california-a-drought-turned-to-floods-forecasters-didn-t-see-it-coming/ar-AA16n82L

The loss of polar ice is probably destabilizing the familiar jet stream winds, like the
events of 2010 (heat deaths in Moscow while Pakistan had unprecedented flooding).

So, this is 'climate change' like we were warned of, and won't be a predictable thing until
our knowledge of stratospheric winds gets better. Other than high-altitude balloons, how
does one investigate those? Will there ever be a predictive capability for as long
as a year? This is still within the 2 C envelope deemed 'manageable', so... we should
expect more kinds of surprises in coming years.