Get hold of portable property. -- Charles Dickens, "Great Expectations"

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Supercapacitor Jump Starters

SubjectAuthor
* Supercapacitor Jump StartersCursitor Doom
+- Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersPhil Hobbs
+- Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersAnthony William Sloman
+- Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersFredxx
+* Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersJan Panteltje
|`* Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersJohn Smiht
| `- Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersJan Panteltje
+- Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersJoe
+* Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersLasse Langwadt Christensen
|`* Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersCursitor Doom
| `- Re: Supercapacitor Jump Starterswhit3rd
+* Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersJohn Larkin
|`* Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersJohn Larkin
| +- Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersBill Sloman
| `* Re: Supercapacitor Jump Startersnone
|  +* Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersJohn Larkin
|  |+* Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersCursitor Doom
|  ||+- Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersJohn Larkin
|  ||`- Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersJan Panteltje
|  |+* Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersTauno Voipio
|  ||`* Re: Supercapacitor Jump Startersjohn larkin
|  || `* Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersTauno Voipio
|  ||  `- Re: Supercapacitor Jump Startersjohn larkin
|  |`- Re: Supercapacitor Jump Starterspiglet
|  `* Re: Supercapacitor Jump Startersnone
|   +- Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersJohn Larkin
|   `* Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersLasse Langwadt Christensen
|    +* Re: Supercapacitor Jump Startersjohn larkin
|    |`* Re: Supercapacitor Jump Startersnone
|    | `- Re: Supercapacitor Jump Startersjohn larkin
|    `- Re: Supercapacitor Jump Startersnone
`- Re: Supercapacitor Jump StartersSmolley

Pages:12
Re: Supercapacitor Jump Starters

<qba9pidvibhbqimc3n9pd90m9pq2pdiedp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133330&group=sci.electronics.design#133330

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Supercapacitor Jump Starters
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 16:29:38 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 00:29 UTC

On Tue, 02 Jan 2024 22:06:29 +0100, albert@cherry.(none) (albert)
wrote:

>In article <bd636389-0a66-4610-9da1-48204bfdbc0an@googlegroups.com>,
>Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Sunday, December 31, 2023 at 6:08:27 AM UTC-5, none albert wrote:

>>> I have discharged the gel battery of my Ford Mondeo Ghia several times
>>> to approximately 5 volts. I charge with a current of mA till the battery recovers
>>> to 10 Volt than increase slowly the current. The garage advises to
>>> change the battery, but I can till start the motor with it.
>>> It is from 2000, so if an interior light is left on, or the parking
>>> lights, it is severely discharged.
>>> It makes no sense to replace the battery, I make this mistake
>>> at least once a year.
>>> Conclusion the battery is not ruined, at least not totally.
>>
>>Most chargers won't charge a battery with that low of a terminal voltage, they assume it's a shorted cell.
>
>I do not use a charger. I use a power supply with regulated voltage and a
>current limiter. In the beginning I charge with 10 mA or such.
>I only charge with a less than 1 Volt over the current battery voltage.

Set the power suppy to 1 amp and 13 volts and go. It usually doesn't
take many amp-hours to start a car.

Re: Supercapacitor Jump Starters

<004f0ecd-5107-4273-b885-f3163a9bac9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133333&group=sci.electronics.design#133333

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 16:43:47 -0800 (PST)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 00:43 UTC

what are you charging, buttoncells ?

Re: Supercapacitor Jump Starters

<un3lc2$3713l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133352&group=sci.electronics.design#133352

From: me...@rest.uk (Smolley)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 12:53:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Smolley - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 12:53 UTC

On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 13:20:16 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

> These things claim to be able to charge up from a near dead 12V car
> battery in just a few moments and then provide enough power to spin a
> car over and start it. And moreover to be able to do this up to 25 times
> before the stored charged runs out. So say you have a knackered car
> battery with a terminal voltage of only 9 or 10 volts, this thing can
> draw enough energy out of it to provide 14V at sufficient current to
> spin over an engine of over 400CI (that's a typically touted figure for
> a normally aspirated petrol/gas engine and about 2/3 that for a diesel).
> It's the energy involved that I'm struggling to get my head around
> here. How is this seemingly miraculous tranformation achieved? I've
> been wanting to get a jump starter for emergencies for some time, but
> was put off by the thought of having a bunch of lithium cells go up in
> flames on me. This would seem to eliminate that risk.

I have had one for a few years now. I got it early in the pandemic when my Golf R would lose charge whilst not being
used. It could only tolerate ~3 weeks of non use. It has served me quite well.

Re: Supercapacitor Jump Starters

<cdcbpipodflrha68pqur8hlu6fnj3v88ar@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133363&group=sci.electronics.design#133363

From: jl...@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 11:14:50 -0800
 by: john larkin - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:14 UTC

On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 16:43:47 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
<langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:

>tirsdag den 2. januar 2024 kl. 22.06.40 UTC+1 skrev none albert:
>> In article <bd636389-0a66-4610...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Most chargers won't charge a battery with that low of a terminal voltage, they assume it's a shorted cell.
>> I do not use a charger. I use a power supply with regulated voltage and a
>> current limiter. In the beginning I charge with 10 mA or such.
>> I only charge with a less than 1 Volt over the current battery voltage.
>
>what are you charging, buttoncells ?

50 A-h divided by 10 mA is... what?

How can you charge at 1 volt over the current voltage? Won't that end
the universe or something?

Re: Supercapacitor Jump Starters

<nnd$103b1099$0af7cdc0@949695ce38be5761>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133365&group=sci.electronics.design#133365

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: alb...@cherry (none)
Originator: albert@cherry.(none) (albert)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 20:42:16 +0100
 by: none - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:42 UTC

In article <004f0ecd-5107-4273-b885-f3163a9bac9an@googlegroups.com>,
Lasse Langwadt Christensen <langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:
>tirsdag den 2. januar 2024 kl. 22.06.40 UTC+1 skrev none albert:
>> In article <bd636389-0a66-4610...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>dead 12V car
>power to spin a
>up to 25
>a knackered
>this thing
>sufficient current
>touted figure
>that for a
>head around
>achieved? I've
>some time, but
>cells go up in

>energy. If it lacks the energy to start the vehicle as a battery,

>correction devices for zero electric bills and similar junk.
>kilojoules to
>start a

>discharge a

>works down to 8V. If the battery won't even turn the engine over,

>than 12V to charge it. If the battery is less, you're supposed to go

>'battery maintainer.' They're just an unregulated 12V PV straight
>with excessive discharge, it will never fully charge right again.
>adapter which must be disconnected before you start the car.
>battery recovers
>> >
>> >Most chargers won't charge a battery with that low of a terminal
>voltage, they assume it's a shorted cell.
>> I do not use a charger. I use a power supply with regulated voltage and a
>> current limiter. In the beginning I charge with 10 mA or such.
>> I only charge with a less than 1 Volt over the current battery voltage.
>
>what are you charging, buttoncells ?

I charge a car battery that is supposedly dead < 5V.

Groetjes Albert
--
Don't praise the day before the evening. One swallow doesn't make spring.
You must not say "hey" before you have crossed the bridge. Don't sell the

Re: Supercapacitor Jump Starters

<nnd$0d65b2d2$0ae19af9@949695ce38be5761>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133366&group=sci.electronics.design#133366

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: alb...@cherry (none)
Originator: albert@cherry.(none) (albert)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 20:44:53 +0100
 by: none - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:44 UTC

In article <cdcbpipodflrha68pqur8hlu6fnj3v88ar@4ax.com>,
john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 16:43:47 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
><langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:
>
>>tirsdag den 2. januar 2024 kl. 22.06.40 UTC+1 skrev none albert:
>dead 12V car
>power to spin a
>up to 25
>a knackered
>volts, this thing
>sufficient current
>touted figure
>that for a
>head around
>achieved? I've
>some time, but
>cells go up in

>energy. If it lacks the energy to start the vehicle as a battery,
>content.

>correction devices for zero electric bills and similar junk.
>kilojoules to
>to start a

>discharge a
>modern car

>works down to 8V. If the battery won't even turn the engine over,

>than 12V to charge it. If the battery is less, you're supposed to go

>'battery maintainer.' They're just an unregulated 12V PV straight
>with excessive discharge, it will never fully charge right again.
>adapter which must be disconnected before you start the car.
>battery recovers

>voltage, they assume it's a shorted cell.
>>> I do not use a charger. I use a power supply with regulated voltage and a
>>> current limiter. In the beginning I charge with 10 mA or such.
>>> I only charge with a less than 1 Volt over the current battery voltage.
>>
>>what are you charging, buttoncells ?
>
>50 A-h divided by 10 mA is... what?
>
>How can you charge at 1 volt over the current voltage? Won't that end
>the universe or something?

I charge 10 mA if the current voltage is 5 V. Slowly the voltage creeps
up. For example at 8 V I risk charging with 100 mA. At the end the
battery is functional, i.e. I can start the car with it.

Groetjes Albert
--
Don't praise the day before the evening. One swallow doesn't make spring.
You must not say "hey" before you have crossed the bridge. Don't sell the
hide of the bear until you shot it. Better one bird in the hand than ten in
the air. First gain is a cat spinning. - the Wise from Antrim -

Re: Supercapacitor Jump Starters

<bhsbpid3rv6cljak9qfg9di7rjrqjc2c4r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133373&group=sci.electronics.design#133373

From: jl...@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 15:49:59 -0800
 by: john larkin - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 23:49 UTC

On Wed, 03 Jan 2024 20:44:53 +0100, albert@cherry.(none) (albert)
wrote:

>In article <cdcbpipodflrha68pqur8hlu6fnj3v88ar@4ax.com>,
>john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
>>On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 16:43:47 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
>><langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:

>>dead 12V car
>>power to spin a
>>up to 25
>>a knackered
>>volts, this thing
>>sufficient current
>>touted figure
>>that for a
>>head around
>>achieved? I've
>>some time, but
>>cells go up in

>>energy. If it lacks the energy to start the vehicle as a battery,
>>content.

>>correction devices for zero electric bills and similar junk.
>>kilojoules to
>>to start a

>>discharge a
>>modern car

>>works down to 8V. If the battery won't even turn the engine over,

>>than 12V to charge it. If the battery is less, you're supposed to go

>>'battery maintainer.' They're just an unregulated 12V PV straight
>>with excessive discharge, it will never fully charge right again.
>>adapter which must be disconnected before you start the car.
>>battery recovers

>>voltage, they assume it's a shorted cell.
>>>
>>>what are you charging, buttoncells ?
>>
>>50 A-h divided by 10 mA is... what?
>>
>>How can you charge at 1 volt over the current voltage? Won't that end
>>the universe or something?
>>
>I charge 10 mA if the current voltage is 5 V. Slowly the voltage creeps
>up. For example at 8 V I risk charging with 100 mA. At the end the
>battery is functional, i.e. I can start the car with it.
>
>Groetjes Albert

It wouldn't shock me if a battery had over 10 mA of self discharge.

But why not charge at an amp or two and be on your way? Where's the
risk?