Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. -- Frank Zappa

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: frequency translation app

SubjectAuthor
* frequency translation appT
+* Re: frequency translation appJohn Doe
|`* Re: frequency translation appT
| +- Re: frequency translation appJohn Doe
| `* Re: frequency translation appChris
|  +* Re: frequency translation appJohn Doe
|  |`- Re: frequency translation appJohn Doe
|  +* Re: frequency translation appJoerg Lorenz
|  |`- Re: frequency translation appJoerg Lorenz
|  +* Re: frequency translation appThe Real Bev
|  |+* Re: frequency translation appJoe Beanfish
|  ||`- Re: frequency translation appThe Real Bev
|  |+* Re: frequency translation appT
|  ||+* Re: frequency translation appnospam
|  |||`* Re: frequency translation appT
|  ||| `- Re: frequency translation appCarlos E.R.
|  ||`- Re: frequency translation appJohn Doe
|  |+- Re: frequency translation appJohn Doe
|  |`- Re: frequency translation appChris
|  `* Re: frequency translation appT
|   `- Re: frequency translation appChris
+* Re: frequency translation appVanguardLH
|`* Re: frequency translation appT
| `- Re: frequency translation appVanguardLH
+* Re: frequency translation appNikolaj Lazic
|`- Re: frequency translation appT
+* Re: frequency translation appsms
|`* Re: frequency translation appCarlos E.R.
| `- Re: frequency translation appChris
`- Re: frequency translation appT

Pages:12
Re: frequency translation app

<sg7i74$hqe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19568&group=comp.mobile.android#19568

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: frequency translation app
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 08:09:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Thu, 26 Aug 2021 08:09 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> I can't hear high pitched, usually females, voices
>>> on the phone. My hearing takes a dive at 2,100 Hz.
>>>
>>> I want an app that will take a high pitched voice and
>>> lower it into my hearing range.
>>
>> You need a hearing aid not an app. Bonus is it'll work everywhere ;)
>
> My mom got expensive Sonus in-ear hearing aids in ~2004 for exactly that
> reason. She had them adjusted many times, but in order to hear female
> voices clearly there was a lot of hiss and unwanted sounds (crackling
> paper, etc.) that were likewise amplified. She never wore them.

The idea is to reduce the frequency, not to amplify it. That might be done
by reducing ALL frequencies and cutting the lowest frequencies. Something
that can be easily toggled on/off.

Might be a little creepy, but oh well.

Actually sounds like a good application for a smartphone. As mentioned,
should be easy as a voice changer device.

Re: frequency translation app

<sg8pd2$av8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19574&group=comp.mobile.android#19574

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 19:17:54 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:gJklT8YrD7JdGXjiT1FdWBlAteo=
 by: Chris - Thu, 26 Aug 2021 19:17 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 8/25/21 1:32 AM, Chris wrote:
>> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> I can't hear high pitched, usually females, voices
>>> on the phone. My hearing takes a dive at 2,100 Hz.
>>>
>>> I want an app that will take a high pitched voice and
>>> lower it into my hearing range.
>>
>> You need a hearing aid not an app. Bonus is it'll work everywhere ;)
>>

> I only have trouble over the phone. I am fine in person.
> Also, I am too poor to afford a hearing aid. They
> are way, way to expensive.

You need a proper health service. Oh wait...

Re: frequency translation app

<sg90db$qfc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19575&group=comp.mobile.android#19575

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 21:17:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qZJ3vA59Hcs4Nwl17hTTtoiND24=
 by: Chris - Thu, 26 Aug 2021 21:17 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/25/2021 01:32 AM, Chris wrote:
>> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> I can't hear high pitched, usually females, voices
>>> on the phone. My hearing takes a dive at 2,100 Hz.
>>>
>>> I want an app that will take a high pitched voice and
>>> lower it into my hearing range.
>>
>> You need a hearing aid not an app. Bonus is it'll work everywhere ;)
>
> My mom got expensive Sonus in-ear hearing aids in ~2004 for exactly that
> reason. She had them adjusted many times, but in order to hear female
> voices clearly there was a lot of hiss and unwanted sounds (crackling
> paper, etc.) that were likewise amplified. She never wore them.

My dad wore his, but he did need to go back a few times to get the tuning
right.

> I'm in the same boat now. Maybe I'll try them, but I have no
> expectation of success. Perhaps new ones will be better. They'd have
> to be better than just cupping my hands around my ears, which works fine
> for voices but also allows me to hear the noisy little fan in the
> Raspberry Pi roughly a foot behind my monitor :-(
>
> I wonder why nobody makes cheap plastic things like costume Spock ears.
> Or Ferengi ears... Nope, nothing on ebay.

In the old days people used ear trumpets.

Re: frequency translation app

<sg90lb$rtr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19576&group=comp.mobile.android#19576

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 21:21:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:zR+oft1T4DvyC2b7TcrxZpXIZbE=
 by: Chris - Thu, 26 Aug 2021 21:21 UTC

Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 25/08/2021 19.47, sms wrote:
>> On 8/24/2021 6:48 PM, T wrote:
>>> Anyone know of an app that will take a person's
>>> voice and translate it to a lower pitch for
>>> us guys losing our high frequency hearing?
>>
>> Someone did demo such an app years ago, but apparently it never actually
>> became available <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDtXDQ683rw>.
>>
>> There's a research paper on this, and apparently they created an Android
>> app, but there were issues with latency, see
>> <http://riogrande.cs.tcu.edu/1516Ribbit/resources/iSoundConferencePaper.pdf>.
>>

> Singers use tools like that all the time, but those I have seen (and not
> in person) are not realtime, and run on computers, for postproduction of
> the recording. Search "perfect pitch" perhaps.

It's called "auto-tune" and can be done real time. Most pop music uses it
and many overuse it to get a kind of mechanical sound. One More Time by
Daft Punk is a classic example.

Re: frequency translation app

<sgbllv$8f3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19616&group=comp.mobile.android#19616

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 14:32:47 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 21:32 UTC

On 8/24/21 6:48 PM, T wrote:
> Anyone know of an app that will take a person's
> voice and translate it to a lower pitch for
> us guys losing our high frequency hearing?

This looks interesting:

https://petralex.pro/en

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: frequency translation app