Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature. -- Rich Kulawiec

computers / comp.mobile.android / Google Play update all apps

SubjectAuthor
* Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Google Play update all appsCarlos E.R.
|+* Re: Google Play update all appsKenW
||`- Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
| `* Re: Google Play update all appsCarlos E.R.
|  +* Re: Google Play update all appsCarlos E.R.
|  |`* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|  | `* Re: Google Play update all appsCarlos E.R.
|  |  `* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|  |   `* Re: Google Play update all appsCarlos E.R.
|  |    `* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|  |     `* Re: Google Play update all appsCarlos E.R.
|  |      `- Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|  `* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|   `* Re: Google Play update all appsCarlos E.R.
|    `* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|     `* Re: Google Play update all appsCarlos E.R.
|      `* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|       `- Re: Google Play update all appsCarlos E.R.
+* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burns
|+* Re: Google Play update all appsPiet
||`- Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
| `* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burns
|  `* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burns
|   `* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|    `* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burns
|     +- Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|     `* Re: Google Play update all appsPiet
|      +* Re: Google Play update all appsAJL
|      |`- Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|      `* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|       +* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burns
|       |+- Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|       |`* Re: Google Play update all appsFrank Slootweg
|       | +- Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|       | `* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burns
|       |  `- Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
|       `* Re: Google Play update all appsCarlos E.R.
|        `- Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
`* Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli
 `- Re: Google Play update all appsAndy Burnelli

Pages:12
Google Play update all apps

<snh0nt$sa$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24645&group=comp.mobile.android#24645

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Google Play update all apps
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 21:06:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 21:06 UTC

How does Google Play know how to update your apps?
<https://i.postimg.cc/HsXKj7WK/updateallapps01.jpg>

Because I'm a kind, caring, and helpful person, I created that detailed
annotated screenshot for Carlos to prove that the Google Play App knows
about your apps even if you've _never_ even once used the Google Play App.

How?
--
To answer this question requires two things which most people here do not
seem to have. You need to have intelligence & knowledge. If you have

Re: Google Play update all apps

<9gkt6i-l5l.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24664&group=comp.mobile.android#24664

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google Play update all apps
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:08:25 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 23:08 UTC

On 22/11/2021 22.06, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> How does Google Play know how to update your apps?
> <https://i.postimg.cc/HsXKj7WK/updateallapps01.jpg>
>
> Because I'm a kind, caring, and helpful person, I created that detailed
> annotated screenshot for Carlos to prove that the Google Play App knows
> about your apps even if you've _never_ even once used the Google Play App.
>
> How?

This is what I get. I can only "stop" or "report", which is greyed out.
Nothing else in the screen responds to taps.

https://susepaste.org/48327850

Nothing similar two what you post. Unless you are using some special
took that you do not say.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Google Play update all apps

<3jbopgdnef53q65o2fvg9bdpke8n37gra3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24665&group=comp.mobile.android#24665

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:59:13 -0700
 by: KenW - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 23:59 UTC

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:08:25 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 22/11/2021 22.06, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> How does Google Play know how to update your apps?
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/HsXKj7WK/updateallapps01.jpg>
>>
>> Because I'm a kind, caring, and helpful person, I created that detailed
>> annotated screenshot for Carlos to prove that the Google Play App knows
>> about your apps even if you've _never_ even once used the Google Play App.
>>
>> How?
>>

>This is what I get. I can only "stop" or "report", which is greyed out.
>Nothing else in the screen responds to taps.
>
>https://susepaste.org/48327850
>
>Nothing similar two what you post. Unless you are using some special
>took that you do not say.

Google knows everything about you. You know Chrome spies why not their
apps ?

KenW

Re: Google Play update all apps

<j03jmvFf3uaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24668&group=comp.mobile.android#24668

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:31:41 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:31 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> I created that detailed annotated screenshot for Carlos to prove that the
> Google Play App knows about your apps even if you've_never_ even once used
> the Google Play App.

The play app (like any app prior to android 11) can simply enumerate the list of
installed apps from android, something like

final PackageManager pm = getPackageManager();
List<ApplicationInfo> ai =
pm.getInstalledApplications(PackageManager.GET_META_DATA);
for (ApplicationInfo pi : ai)
{
Log.d(TAG, pi.packageName);
}

Re: Google Play update all apps

<snibsc$130p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24669&group=comp.mobile.android#24669

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 10:22:21 +0100
 by: Piet - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 09:22 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> I created that detailed annotated screenshot for Carlos to prove that the
>> Google Play App knows about your apps even if you've_never_ even once used
>> the Google Play App.
>
> The play app (like any app prior to android 11) can simply enumerate the
> list of installed apps from android

And you don't even have to use it: at least once in the lifetime of
a phone it has to be booted, and usually more often, and after boot
GP is started.

-p

Re: Google Play update all apps

<snj2np$l2v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24677&group=comp.mobile.android#24677

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 15:52:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 15:52 UTC

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:08:25 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> This is what I get. I can only "stop" or "report", which is greyed out.
> Nothing else in the screen responds to taps.
>
> https://susepaste.org/48327850
>
> Nothing similar two what you post. Unless you are using some special
> took that you do not say.

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for posting that screenshot as there is often more detail in
screenshots (which is why I often supply them myself, to be helpful).
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

One important factor is the unique name of the "Play Store" app, which, for
you, appears to be the same as it is for me (com.android.vending).
<https://i.postimg.cc/02xKj04h/updateallapps03.jpg>

Mine is stock for my phone (Samsung Galaxy A325G) currently at app version
27.9.15-21 (which I don't think matters as I keep mine at the stock version
because I don't update anything unless I use it and know the update is
useful). <https://i.postimg.cc/4djB69pr/updateallapps02.jpg>

The fantastic FOSS app I used that tells me pages and pages and pages about
any given app is App Manager (which is by far the best app manager extent).
<https://github.com/MuntashirAkon/AppManager>

My Google Play (it's called "Play Store" in the icon) isn't any different
than any other stock Google Play Store App (afaik) so it should work the
same for you (unless your tablet is vastly different than stock Android).
<https://i.postimg.cc/HsXKj7WK/updateallapps01.jpg>

About the only thing I do differently is you'll notice for privacy reasons
I've denied that Google Play App any permission for location (why would it
need my location?) but otherwise, ever since yesterday I have had it not
disabled so I can test it for you.

What happens for me when I click on the Google Play homescreen icon is that
first screen comes up, which then allows me to press the update button
(without having any login to Google whatsoever) as long as I'm on a network.

I'm sure almost everyone sees the same GUI as I do, so we can ask them too.
Anyone who is a good person will step in to test it for you like I did.

Re: Google Play update all apps

<snj504$1sef$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24679&group=comp.mobile.android#24679

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:31:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:31 UTC

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:31:41 +0000, in comp.mobile.android you wrote:

> The play app (like any app prior to android 11) can simply enumerate the list of
> installed apps from android

By pure logic it can't be exactly that... but it must contain a component of
that enumeration.

So Andy is almost certainly at least partly correct that the "Play Store"
app (aka Google Play, aka com.android.vending) likely simply enumerates (a
subsection of) installed apps, based on what I see on my phone today (14
apps only).
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

Bear in mind I normally have Google Play disabled, so I never log into
Google Play (and, in fact, I don't have a Google Account set up on the phone
and never have had it set up on this phone).

But Google Play only knows about "some" apps - not all my apps.
Just some.

What's interesting is that I have many hundreds of installed apps, but
Google Play only seems to see (currently) 14 of the ones I've installed.

Bear in mind, _none_ of my apps were from Google Play as I used the FOSS
Aurora Store to obtain all my apps (or they were copied from archives).

Those archives _may_ have come from Google Play, but it's not likely they
did as I haven't used Google Play in many years, and in fact, I normally
keep it disabled (for privacy) so that it stands no chance of popping up.

Logic implies Google Play is enumerating only _some_ apps (of course, it
could be that only 14 apps on my phone need updating - but I don't know if
that's likely either as I never update apps unless I find something in the
new version I want - which almost never happens in practice).

These are the 14 (actually 15) apps Google Play wanted to update...
1. Google Maps
2. Google Duo
3. Google
4. Android Auto
5. Speech Services by Google
6. Android System WebView
7. YouTube
8. Google Play Services for AR
9. Your Phone Companion
10. Microsoft OneDrive
11. Samsung My Files
12. Samsung Internet Browser
13. Samsung Push Service
14. T-Mobile
15. Google Play Services (accidentally updated 2 days ago)

I suspect these were all stock apps on the phone when I got it.
That means that Andy is correct in the main that Google Play likely
enumerates (some portion of) the apps on the phone.

For most people who use Google Play, that restriction wouldn't be a
hindrance if they wanted to press the "update all" button inside of Google
Play as it would update (most likely) most of their apps.
<https://i.postimg.cc/HsXKj7WK/updateallapps01.jpg>

Re: Google Play update all apps

<snj5cb$2n9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24680&group=comp.mobile.android#24680

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:37:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:37 UTC

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 10:22:21 +0100, Piet wrote:

>> The play app (like any app prior to android 11) can simply enumerate the
>> list of installed apps from android
>
> And you don't even have to use it: at least once in the lifetime of
> a phone it has to be booted, and usually more often, and after boot
> GP is started.

On most people's phones it may work the way Andy & Piet helpfully described.
a. It's likely most (if not all) the apps that are enumerated
b. It's likely done continuously in the background (perhaps after reboot)

On my phone, neither of those two assumptions are true, so we see the true
nature of the Google Play app when we restrict its operations a bit.

Normally I have Google Play disabled but it has been enabled the past two
days and as Piet noted, it seemed to try to autoupdate after a test reboot.
<https://i.postimg.cc/02xKj04h/updateallapps03.jpg>

As for which apps are being enumerated, it seems to only enumerate "some"
apps, which, as far as I can tell, are all apparently stock apps that came
with my phone (given I have many hundreds of apps currently installed and I
never update them unless I have a reason to do so).
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

Obviously the way to prevent that is to turn off auto updates for most
people, but I _thought_ I had auto updates turned off yesterday, so maybe
Google is being sneaky by not respecting my prior settings?

Nonetheless, the way to prevent it that always works is to disable Google
Play, which, interestingly, you lose zero functionality by doing so (AFAICT)
if you know anything about the FOSS replacements for Google Play that is.
<https://i.postimg.cc/4djB69pr/updateallapps02.jpg>

In summary, you can prevent the action that Piet describes, but you'd have
to do what I do (for privacy reasons); and the action that Andy describes is
almost certainly correct but only to the degree that Google Play only seems
to enumerate some apps (perhaps only apps that came directly from it?????).

Re: Google Play update all apps

<snj6aj$jk9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24681&group=comp.mobile.android#24681

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:53:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:53 UTC

On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:59:13 -0700, KenW wrote:

> Google knows everything about you.

Not really.
Especially if you don't have a Google account on your phone.
And in terms of Google Play, if you never log into it (mine is disabled).

The Google Play app enumeration only catches these 14 apps on my phone.
1. Google Maps
2. Google Duo
3. Google
4. Android Auto
5. Speech Services by Google
6. Android System WebView
7. YouTube
8. Google Play Services for AR
9. Your Phone Companion
10. Microsoft OneDrive
11. Samsung My Files
12. Samsung Internet Browser
13. Samsung Push Service
14. T-Mobile
15. Google Play Services (accidentally updated 2 days ago)

My initial suspicion is these are all stock apps since I don't use _any_ of
them directly. And certainly I have _hundreds_ of apps which mostly came
from the Google repo, and certainly I don't habitually update them.

Logic tells me Google Play only updates a subset of apps on my phone.
However, on most phones, that subset is likely to be more substantial.

> You know Chrome spies why not their apps ?

I'm a logical person so I agree with you on Google spying.
But that's why I use the best FOSS replacements for all Google apps.

The FOSS app I use most for my Chrome replacement is Ungoogled Chromium.
Do you have any evidence that it spys on us?
<https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-android>

The FOSS app I use most for my Google Play replacement is Aurora.
Do you have any evidence that it spys on us?
<https://auroraoss.com/>

Re: Google Play update all apps

<j04qc4FmcsqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24686&group=comp.mobile.android#24686

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:31:32 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:31 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:31:41 +0000, in comp.mobile.android you wrote:
>
>> The play app (like any app prior to android 11) can simply enumerate the list of
>> installed apps from android
>
> By pure logic it can't be exactly that... but it must contain a component of
> that enumeration.

the list doesn't come from Google Play, it comes directly from android, you can
probably see them with ADB too, like

adb pm list packages -f

> So Andy is almost certainly at least partly correct that the "Play Store"
> app (aka Google Play, aka com.android.vending) likely simply enumerates (a
> subsection of) installed apps, based on what I see on my phone today (14
> apps only).
> <https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

if you're on android11 or newer, the list is filtered "for privacy reasons" but
all an app has to do is target older versions of android and it will bypass the
filter.

Re: Google Play update all apps

<j04qf0FmcsqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24687&group=comp.mobile.android#24687

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:33:04 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:33 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> adb pm list packages -f

make that

adb shell pm list packages -f

Re: Google Play update all apps

<snjhjs$eh2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24689&group=comp.mobile.android#24689

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 20:06:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 20:06 UTC

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:33:04 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> adb shell pm list packages -f

Logic implies likely Google Play is updating only "certain" apps.
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>
I'm not sure what Google Play uses as app criteria yet though given it's 14
apps I never installed myself that Google Play wants to update on my phone.

Maybe only 14 packages needed updates, but I would doubt that given the huge
number of packages that command outputs, and knowing I never update anything
(unless I know the new version is better - which is often not the case).

1. Connect phone to Windows computer with adb already installed & test
2. Run the command on Windows "adb shell pm list packages -f"
3. The result is 676 packages on my Android phone.

Occam says it's unlikely only 14 of those have available updates, but I
could be wrong. I suspect though that the com.android.vending Google Play
app only searches specific types of apps to update.

But which ones?
I don't know.

Here are the results though of that command just now.
c:\> adb shell pm list packages -f > foo.txt

package:com.google.android.networkstack.tethering
package:com.samsung.android.provider.filterprovider
package:com.textmeinc.textme3
package:com.ironsrc.aura.appmanager.tmo
package:com.sec.android.app.DataCreate
package:de.tutao.tutanota
package:com.mta.countdown
package:com.android.cts.priv.ctsshim
package:com.samsung.android.smartswitchassistant
package:com.sec.vsim.ericssonnsds.webapp
package:com.sec.android.app.setupwizardlegalprovider
package:com.google.android.youtube
package:com.samsung.android.app.galaxyfinder
package:com.vzw.apnlib
package:com.sec.location.nsflp2
package:com.aurora.adroid
package:com.simplemobiletools.flashlight
package:com.samsung.android.themestore
package:com.sec.android.app.chromecustomizations
package:com.samsung.android.app.cocktailbarservice
package:com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.corner
package:com.google.android.ext.services
package:com.escapistgames.starchart
package:com.simplemobiletools.calculator
package:com.nagopy.android.fileshortcut
package:com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.double
package:com.sec.location.nfwlocationprivacy
package:com.microsoft.appmanager
package:com.android.providers.telephony
package:com.sec.android.app.ve.vebgm
package:com.sec.android.app.parser
package:com.android.dynsystem
package:droidmate.appopsinstaller
package:com.sybu.imageresizer
package:com.samsung.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_no_hint_wide_back
package:de.topobyte.apps.bms.atlas
package:com.samsung.android.networkstack
package:com.android.theme.icon.pebble
package:com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
package:com.samsung.android.calendar
package:com.google.android.cellbroadcastservice
package:com.android.providers.calendar
package:com.osp.app.signin
package:com.samsung.android.aremoji
package:com.samsung.clipboardsaveservice
package:com.sec.automation
package:com.sybu.simplegallery
package:com.android.providers.media
package:com.arlosoft.macrodroid
package:jp.susatthi.ManifestViewer
package:cz.seeq.prog.android.packageviewer
package:com.geekyouup.android.ustopwatch
package:com.google.android.onetimeinitializer
package:com.google.android.ext.shared
package:com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_wide_back
package:com.ifttt.ifttt
package:com.android.wallpapercropper
package:com.teslacoilsw.launcher
package:com.manageengine.wifimonitor
package:com.android.theme.icon.vessel
package:com.samsung.android.wallpaper.res
package:com.sprint.w.installer
package:com.android.theme.color.cinnamon
package:com.p1.chompsms
package:se.brokenbrain.drawer
package:com.samsung.android.smartmirroring
package:com.skms.android.agent
package:com.ses.app.apkexport
package:com.mysosfamily
package:com.samsung.android.mapsagent
package:com.moblynx.galleryicsold
package:com.mediatek.systemuiresoverlay
package:com.sec.android.app.safetyassurance
package:com.google.android.apps.cameralite
package:com.samsung.android.incallui
package:com.samsung.android.knox.containercore
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.rounded.systemui
package:com.samsung.android.kidsinstaller
package:com.sec.factory.camera
package:com.android.theme.icon.taperedrect
package:adfree.gallery
package:com.sec.usbsettings
package:keepass2android.keepass2android
package:eu.duong.imagedatefixer
package:com.samsung.android.easysetup
package:org.jessies.dalvikexplorer
package:gg.TENZ.mangakakalot
package:com.epic.browser
package:com.android.externalstorage
package:com.samsung.android.aware.service
package:com.sec.android.easyonehand
package:com.sec.factory
package:com.android.htmlviewer
package:com.whatsapp
package:com.android.companiondevicemanager
package:de.szalkowski.activitylauncher
package:com.android.mms.service
package:com.samsung.android.rubin.app
package:com.flightradar24free
package:it.sourcenetitalia.appmanager
package:com.utopi.batterychargenotifier
package:com.android.providers.downloads
package:com.appstar.callrecorder
package:org.secuso.privacyfriendlyfoodtracker
package:com.diotek.sec.lookup.dictionary
package:com.snape.shivichu.videocompressor
package:com.sec.android.easyMover.Agent
package:com.google.android.networkstack.tethering.overlay
package:com.samsung.android.mdx.quickboard
package:com.squiredev.exif_clear
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.rounded.android
package:com.onto.notepad
package:com.wsomacp
package:com.hudun.androidrecorder
package:com.lonelycatgames.Xplore
package:com.cunnj.activitylauncher
package:com.samsung.faceservice
package:com.larryvgs.battery
package:ch.protonmail.android
package:com.sec.android.app.voicenote
package:com.cemique.shortcutwidgets
package:com.monotype.android.font.foundation
package:com.sec.android.widgetapp.easymodecontactswidget
package:com.joykraft.frenchpresstimer
package:com.bostbi.dev.countdown
package:de.k3b.android.androFotoFinder
package:com.samsung.android.knox.pushmanager
package:com.samsung.android.MtpApplication
package:com.sec.android.app.factorykeystring
package:com.sec.android.app.samsungapps
package:com.tmobile.pr.mytmobile
package:com.sec.android.emergencymode.service
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.circular.themepicker
package:org.schabi.newpipe
package:org.korosoft.simplenotepad.android
package:com.google.android.configupdater
package:com.sec.android.app.wlantest
package:com.samsung.android.accessibility.talkback
package:com.google.android.providers.media.module
package:com.sec.android.smartfpsadjuster
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.permissioncontroller
package:com.samsung.android.app.settings.bixby
package:com.simplemobiletools.calendar.pro
package:com.sec.android.app.billing
package:com.sec.epdgtestapp
package:com.slydroid.watch
package:com.samsung.android.game.gamehome
package:com.callrecorder.android
package:com.sec.android.daemonapp
package:com.google.ar.core
package:org.zwanoo.android.speedtest
package:com.sec.sve
package:com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation
package:com.fiberlink.maas360.android.pim
package:com.android.providers.downloads.ui
package:com.android.vending
package:com.android.pacprocessor
package:com.android.simappdialog
package:com.samsung.android.knox.attestation
package:com.samsung.android.secsoundpicker
package:com.samsung.internal.systemui.navbar.sec_gestural
package:com.sec.omadmspr
package:com.miyaware.batteryclock
package:com.microsoft.skydrive
package:com.samsung.android.SettingsReceiver
package:com.vonglasow.michael.satstat
package:com.csdroid.pkg
package:com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.hole
package:com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.tall
package:org.Gallery.App
package:org.Gallery.Pro
package:com.sec.android.app.soundalive
package:gov.caltrans.quickmap
package:net.openvpn.openvpn
package:com.samsung.android.privateshare
package:com.sec.android.provider.badge
package:com.android.certinstaller
package:com.samsung.android.securitylogagent
package:com.android.theme.color.black
package:com.android.carrierconfig
package:com.android.theme.color.green
package:com.android.theme.color.ocean
package:com.samsung.android.knox.containeragent
package:com.android.theme.color.space
package:com.coverter.videoconverter.videocutter.videotrim
package:com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.threebutton
package:com.brave.browser
package:com.sovworks.edslite
package:com.samsung.SMT
package:com.samsung.cmh
package:com.samsung.ssu
package:android
package:com.mycp.videocompress
package:com.samsung.knox.keychain
package:eu.faircode.netguard
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.cellbroadcastreceiver
package:com.dp.logcatapp
package:privacyfriendlyshoppinglist.secuso.org.privacyfriendlyshoppinglist
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.rounded.launcher
package:com.flistholding.flightplus
package:com.samsung.android.providers.carrier
package:com.samsung.internal.systemui.navbar.sec_gestural_no_hint
package:me.piebridge.brevent
package:net.nitroshare.android
package:com.samsung.android.aircommandmanager
package:com.samsung.android.net.wifi.wifiguider
package:com.samsung.android.wifi.softapwpathree.resources
package:ru.andr7e.deviceinfohw
package:com.samsung.android.service.stplatform
package:com.samsung.android.smartface
package:com.android.egg
package:com.android.mtp
package:com.android.nfc
package:com.android.ons
package:com.android.stk
package:org.torproject.torservices
package:com.samsung.android.messaging
package:org.contentarcadeapps.videoeditor
package:com.secuso.privacyFriendlyCodeScanner
package:com.android.backupconfirm
package:com.samsung.klmsagent
package:com.waze
package:org.ebookdroid
package:io.github.ilisevic.SOSbasic
package:com.applaudsoft.wabi.wad
package:com.sec.android.app.SecSetupWizard
package:com.vrem.wifianalyzer
package:com.catalinagroup.callrecorder
package:com.ospolice.phoneshortcut
package:kik.android
package:com.samsung.android.app.telephonyui
package:com.samsung.android.wifi.softap.resources
package:com.android.statementservice
package:com.alextern.shortcuthelper
package:com.google.android.as
package:com.google.android.gm
package:com.talkatone.android
package:com.google.android.apps.tachyon
package:org.androidsoft.app.permission
package:com.google.android.overlay.gmsconfig.common
package:com.sec.android.app.hwmoduletest
package:com.sprint.ms.cdm
package:com.android.settings.intelligence
package:com.aurora.store
package:com.sec.bcservice
package:bg.projectoria.appinspector
package:com.monotype.android.font.samsungone
package:com.debug.loggerui
package:com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_extra_wide_back
package:com.microsoft.office.outlook
package:jp.nalab.tomcam
package:com.google.android.permissioncontroller
package:com.helgekeck.wifitool
package:com.sec.android.app.servicemodeapp
package:com.sec.android.preloadinstaller
package:com.roysolberg.android.developertools
package:com.google.android.setupwizard
package:com.samsung.android.tadownloader
package:at.cwiesner.android.visualtimer
package:com.sec.android.gallery3d
package:com.android.providers.settings
package:com.samsung.accessibility
package:com.sec.imsservice
package:net.ebt.appswitch
package:com.trianguloy.instantintent
package:com.simpler.contacts
package:com.android.sharedstoragebackup
package:com.curvegraph.deocut
package:com.facebook.services
package:com.samsung.android.mobileservice
package:com.android.printspooler
package:org.bitbatzen.wlanscanner
package:com.kylecorry.trail_sense
package:net.psyberia.offlinemaps
package:com.trailblazer.supercut
package:com.richardtozer.dashcam
package:com.samsung.android.mdx.kit
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.filled.settings
package:com.samsung.storyservice
package:com.android.dreams.basic
package:com.deslomator.complextimer
package:com.xintimex.emiliano.worldmap
package:com.alienpants.leafpicrevived
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.ext.services
package:com.samsung.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_no_hint_extra_wide_back
package:org.mozilla.focus
package:dk.andsen.asqlitemanager
package:aws.apps.networkInfoIi
package:org.spectralsoft.textedit
package:pl.waskysoft.screenshotassistant
package:com.android.webview
package:com.android.se
package:com.android.inputdevices
package:pallob.loop.com.notepad
package:com.samsung.android.wifi.resources
package:com.google.android.overlay.gmsconfig.photos
package:com.samsung.android.kgclient
package:com.samsung.knox.securefolder
package:com.tmobile.pr.adapt
package:com.sec.providers.assisteddialing
package:com.android.bips
package:com.google.audio.hearing.visualization.accessibility.scribe
package:com.mediatek
package:com.samsung.android.game.gametools
package:krow.dev.scheme
package:com.samsung.android.app.simplesharing
package:com.samsung.android.app.contacts
package:com.samsung.android.cmfa.framework
package:com.samsung.android.service.peoplestripe
package:com.samsung.android.da.daagent
package:com.google.android.captiveportallogin
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.circular.settings
package:com.alohamobile.browser.lite
package:com.keuwl.sandtimer
package:org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytracker
package:com.samsung.android.app.reminder
package:fortune.audiocutter.audioeditor
package:org.secuso.privacyfriendlynotes
package:com.zq.webdav.app_free
package:rk.android.app.shortcutmaker
package:com.atr.tedit
package:de.mediaz.mxapp.hpbgeodefree
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer010
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer015
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer020
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer030
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer045
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer060
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer090
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer120
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer180
package:com.test.LTEfunctionality
package:com.samsung.android.smartcallprovider
package:com.samsung.android.app.smartcapture
package:net.sourceforge.opencamera
package:com.zzzmode.appopsx
package:com.google.android.apps.maps
package:be.ppareit.swiftp_free
package:com.google.android.modulemetadata
package:la.daube.photochiotte
package:com.amperemeter.wally.src
package:com.leedroid.shortcutter
package:com.samsung.android.app.taskedge
package:com.samsung.android.dynamiclock
package:org.fdroid.fdroid
package:com.samsung.advp.imssettings
package:com.call.recorder.auto.call.record
package:com.devhomc.myapps
package:com.samsung.android.location
package:com.tmobile.vvm.application
package:com.sec.android.app.clockpackage
package:com.sec.android.RilServiceModeApp
package:com.google.android.webview
package:com.samsung.android.mdecservice
package:com.android.theme.icon.teardrop
package:com.opera.browser
package:org.dmfs.tasks
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.documentsui
package:com.amazon.appmanager
package:com.sayhi.android.sayhitranslate
package:com.google.android.networkstack
package:com.tts.imnos_mobile
package:com.android.server.telecom
package:com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts
package:com.longervideos.app
package:com.sec.imslogger
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.rounded.themepicker
package:com.trianguloy.openInWhatsapp
package:com.android.keychain
package:de.dennisguse.opentracks
package:com.samsung.android.ardrawing
package:com.android.chrome
package:com.apowersoft.beecut
package:co.easy4u.writer
package:eu.basicairdata.graziano.gpslogger
package:com.samsung.android.opencalendar
package:com.projectsexception.myapplist
package:com.simplemobiletools.smsmessenger
package:com.samsung.android.themecenter
package:com.balda.intenttask
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.filled.systemui
package:com.samsung.android.server.wifi.mobilewips
package:com.google.android.packageinstaller
package:com.sigalert.mobile
package:com.google.android.gms
package:com.google.android.gsf
package:com.google.android.tts
package:android.autoinstalls.config.samsung
package:com.sprint.ce.updater
package:com.android.wifi.resources
package:com.samsung.android.container
package:com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel
package:com.android.calllogbackup
package:org.secuso.privacyfriendlywifimanager
package:com.google.android.partnersetup
package:org.torproject.torbrowser
package:ru.andr7e.wifimonitor
package:com.hg.SpeechTimer
package:com.ironsrc.aura.tmo
package:org.mightyfrog.android.simplenotepad
package:mobi.infolife.appbackup
package:com.keuwl.gpswaypoints
package:com.saawanapps.photocompress
package:com.sec.android.diagmonagent
package:com.android.localtransport
package:com.google.android.videos
package:com.google.android.overlay.gmsconfig.gsa
package:com.samsung.android.biometrics.app.setting
package:xyz.klinker.messenger
package:com.sec.spp.push
package:com.android.carrierdefaultapp
package:com.etwok.netspotapp
package:us.koller.cameraroll
package:com.github.axet.callrecorder
package:com.samsung.android.aremojieditor
package:com.samsung.android.icecone
package:com.android.theme.font.notoserifsource
package:com.sec.android.app.myfiles
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.filled.android
package:io.github.videosplitterapp
package:com.android.proxyhandler
package:com.donnnno.arcticons
package:com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro
package:com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.waterfall
package:com.samsung.android.allshare.service.fileshare
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.circular.systemui
package:org.videolan.vlc
package:io.github.muntashirakon.AppManager
package:net.mediaarea.mediainfo
package:com.sec.android.mimage.photoretouching
package:com.sec.android.app.launcher
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.permissioncontroller.forframework
package:com.google.android.feedback
package:com.google.android.printservice.recommendation
package:com.samsung.adaptivebrightnessgo
package:com.google.android.apps.photos
package:com.llamalab.automate
package:com.samsung.sec.android.teegris.tui_service
package:com.google.android.syncadapters.calendar
package:com.android.managedprovisioning
package:com.jarsilio.android.scrambledeggsif
package:com.airbeat.device.inspector
package:com.sika524.android.quickshortcut
package:com.samsung.android.setting.multisound
package:com.google.android.apps.googlevoice
package:com.samsung.android.arzone
package:com.validconcept.Timer4TM
package:com.samsung.android.authfw
package:com.sec.android.app.sbrowser
package:com.aminbeheshti.exifviewer
package:com.google.android.documentsui
package:com.microsoft.office.officehubrow
package:com.simplemobiletools.musicplayer
package:com.android.dreams.phototable
package:superfreeze.tool.android
package:com.fsck.k9
package:com.intermedia.hd.camera.professional
package:com.google.mainline.telemetry
package:net.sourceforge.fastphototagger
package:com.samsung.safetyinformation
package:com.samsung.android.dialer
package:com.sec.sprextension
package:com.samsung.android.dqagent
package:com.sec.android.app.ringtoneBR
package:com.simplemobiletools.gallery.pro
package:com.samsung.android.game.gos
package:com.larryvgs.battery2020
package:com.samsung.android.forest
package:com.adfree.Gallery
package:com.nutomic.syncthingandroid
package:com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
package:com.samsung.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_no_hint_narrow_back
package:com.samsung.android.hdmapp
package:com.fittech.videomusiceditor
package:com.minditsystems.PlaneWatch
package:com.android.wallpaper.livepicker
package:com.samsung.android.beaconmanager
package:org.aospstudio.appsmanage
package:com.samsung.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_no_hint
package:org.aospstudio.files
package:com.sec.enterprise.mdm.services.simpin
package:com.android.apps.tag
package:com.deltacdev.websiteshortcut
package:com.samsung.android.stickercenter
package:de.onyxbits.listmyapps
package:com.facebook.system
package:at.jclehner.appopsxposed
package:nu.firetech.android.wifiwarning
package:com.samsung.android.providers.media
package:com.sec.android.app.popupcalculator
package:com.sec.android.soagent
package:com.sec.android.autodoodle.service
package:com.sec.android.app.quicktool
package:com.samsung.android.fmm
package:com.samsung.android.mdm
package:com.samsung.android.mdx
package:com.samsung.android.scs
package:com.sec.unifiedwfc
package:com.ubqsoft.sec01
package:com.android.theme.icon.squircle
package:com.sec.phone
package:com.generalmagic.magicearth
package:com.samsung.android.appseparation
package:com.adobe.reader
package:de.kroegerama.android4batpercent
package:com.samsung.android.honeyboard
package:com.samsung.android.samsungpass
package:com.google.android.networkstack.permissionconfig
package:com.android.storagemanager
package:com.samsung.android.scloud
package:com.samsung.android.app.soundpicker
package:com.samsung.android.app.sharelive
package:com.sec.app.RilErrorNotifier
package:com.samsung.android.spayfw
package:com.android.bookmarkprovider
package:com.linkedin.android
package:com.android.settings
package:com.samsung.app.newtrim
package:com.healthappy.smsalert
package:com.samsung.android.dsms
package:com.samsung.android.fast
package:com.samsung.android.lool
package:crc.carsapp.sacog
package:make.more.r2d2.cellular_z
package:com.samsung.android.app.notes
package:com.sec.android.app.bluetoothtest
package:com.sec.android.sdhms
package:com.samsung.android.app.spage
package:com.sec.android.mimage.avatarstickers
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.filled.launcher
package:at.bleeding182.flashlight
package:com.samsung.android.knox.analytics.uploader
package:info.guardianproject.orfox
package:com.samsung.android.sm.policy
package:com.sec.android.emergencylauncher
package:com.samsung.android.localeoverlaymanager
package:com.termux
package:com.mediatek.apmonitor
package:com.samsung.android.motionphoto.viewer
package:com.google.android.projection.gearhead
package:com.sec.hearingadjust
package:com.google.android.apps.turbo
package:com.samsung.android.bluelightfilter
package:org.witness.sscphase1
package:org.primftpd
package:com.samsung.android.bbc.bbcagent
package:com.deependhulla.opemail
package:com.samsung.android.callbgprovider
package:com.knox.vpn.proxyhandler
package:com.android.cts.ctsshim
package:com.lexa.fakegps
package:com.samsung.android.livestickers
package:com.samsung.android.app.watchmanagerstub
package:com.samsung.android.svcagent
package:protect.videoeditor
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.modulemetadata.forframework
package:com.sec.mhs.smarttethering
package:maderski.chargingindicator
package:com.videocompressoractivity
package:com.simplemobiletools.voicerecorder
package:by4a.setedit22
package:com.mmdevs.callrecorder
package:com.samsung.android.mateagent
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.circular.launcher
package:com.samsung.android.networkdiagnostic
package:sk.styk.martin.apkanalyzer
package:com.samsung.android.shortcutbackupservice
package:com.tmobile.echolocate
package:gbis.gbandroid
package:com.samsung.android.mcfserver
package:com.android.vpndialogs
package:com.noctuasoftware.stellarium_free
package:com.samsung.InputEventApp
package:com.samsung.android.networkstack.tethering.overlay
package:com.github.cvzi.screenshottile
package:com.samsung.android.providers.contacts
package:com.andrd.wadirectmessage
package:com.android.phone
package:com.deependhulla.opensync
package:com.android.shell
package:com.google.android.apps.recorder
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.filled.themepicker
package:com.android.wallpaperbackup
package:com.android.providers.blockednumber
package:com.samsung.android.app.omcagent
package:com.duckduckgo.mobile.android
package:com.hiya.star
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.cellbroadcastservice
package:com.android.providers.userdictionary
package:com.sec.enterprise.knox.cloudmdm.smdms
package:info.maigo.lab.intentviewer
package:com.google.android.apps.carrier.carrierwifi
package:com.android.emergency
package:net.osmand.plus
package:com.wssyncmldm
package:org.ungoogled.chromium.stable
package:com.sprint.ms.smf.services
package:com.android.hotspot2.osulogin
package:com.panagola.app.shortcut
package:com.simplemobiletools.draw.pro
package:com.samsung.ims.smk
package:com.google.android.gms.location.history
package:com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural
package:com.movavi.mobile.movaviclips
package:com.android.location.fused
package:com.android.theme.color.orchid
package:com.samsung.android.app.appsedge
package:net.muik.myappfinder
package:com.samsung.android.samsungpassautofill
package:com.sec.epdg
package:com.android.systemui
package:com.sec.android.app.personalization
package:com.tmobile.services.nameid
package:com.alextern.shortcutexecutors
package:com.android.theme.color.purple
package:com.mapfactor.navigator
package:com.sec.factory.cameralyzer
package:com.android.bluetoothmidiservice
package:com.samsung.android.sdk.handwriting
package:com.facebook.appmanager
package:com.digipom.easymediaconverter
package:org.secuso.privacyfriendlysketching
package:com.villevalta.intentlauncher
package:com.samsung.android.app.clockpack
package:com.joaomgcd.autoinput
package:com.samsung.aasaservice
package:com.sec.android.app.setupwizard
package:com.adamsappls.carc
package:eu.faircode.email
package:com.samsung.android.smartsuggestions
package:com.perracolabs.cpd
package:com.android.traceur
package:com.google.android.cellbroadcastreceiver
package:com.samsung.android.allshare.service.mediashare
package:com.call.recording.callrecord
package:com.sec.android.provider.emergencymode
package:com.simplemobiletools.camera
package:android.auto_generated_rro_product__
package:com.samsung.android.cidmanager
package:flar2.devcheck
package:com.sec.android.app.camera
package:org.secuso.privacyfriendlyweather
package:com.simplemobiletools.dialer
package:com.snap.camerakit.plugin.v1
package:com.spencerstudios.applist
package:com.android.bluetooth
package:com.samsung.android.app.clipboardedge
package:com.frankygoes.myapks
package:com.quick.shortcut.maker
package:com.video.compressor.size.reducer
package:spinninghead.talkingstopwatchlite
package:com.samsung.ipservice
package:com.sec.android.app.magnifier
package:com.samsung.sec.android.application.csc
package:com.marga.ApkDownloader
package:com.none.tom.exiferaser
package:com.samsung.android.sdm.config
package:com.android.theme.icon.roundedrect
package:com.sec.hiddenmenu
package:com.samsung.android.app.dressroom
package:com.simplemobiletools.filemanager.pro
package:com.google.android.GoogleCamera
package:com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_narrow_back
package:com.impetus.compressvideo
package:com.darshancomputing.BatteryIndicator
package:com.samsung.android.app.dofviewer
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.rounded.settings
package:com.samsung.android.tapack.authfw
package:com.vdodev.videosplitter
package:ishara.software.co.droidsplitter
package:com.samsung.android.mcfds
package:com.google.android.inputmethod.latin
package:com.samsung.android.video
package:android.auto_generated_rro_vendor__
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.circular.android
package:com.google.android.apps.restore

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Google Play update all apps

<j052mlFntthU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24690&group=comp.mobile.android#24690

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 20:53:41 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 20:53 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Logic implies likely Google Play is updating only "certain" apps.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

I'm not sure if GP only upgrades apps that were installed by GP, or if it will
upgrade apps e.g. sideloaded, or installed from other stores?

Re: Google Play update all apps

<snjonl$1k4m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24692&group=comp.mobile.android#24692

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 22:07:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 22:07 UTC

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 20:53:41 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

>> Logic implies likely Google Play is updating only "certain" apps.
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>
>
> I'm not sure if GP only upgrades apps that were installed by GP, or if it will
> upgrade apps e.g. sideloaded, or installed from other stores?

I think there's some "selective magic" going on with Google Play updates.

That's why I asked the question, which is "how" does GP know about "only"
those 15 apps when I have 676 "packages" (almost none of which do I update).

I can't yet find an adb search that just finds the unupdated packages...

Half a hundred Google packages
C:\> adb shell pm list packages google | find /c /v ""
59
Three hundred third-party packages
C:\> adb shell pm list packages -3 | find /c /v ""
298
Four hundred system packages
C:\> adb shell pm list packages -s | find /c /v ""
404

Seven hundred packages
C:\> adb shell pm list packages | find /c /v ""
702

Now an app and a "package" might not necessarily be the same thing, where we
should probably look at what are the "typical" things that are called apps
(such as the GP app itself, named com.android.vending) and not necessarily
the many associated packages (such as Google Play Services, named
com.android.google.gms), which might not be found in any normal repository.
--
Results of c:\> adb shell pm list packages google > foo.txt

<snl25t$1uro$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24698&group=comp.mobile.android#24698

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 10:55:10 +0100
 by: Piet - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 09:55 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> Logic implies likely Google Play is updating only "certain" apps.
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>
>
> I'm not sure if GP only upgrades apps that were installed by GP,
> or if it will upgrade apps e.g. sideloaded, or installed from
> other stores?

It doesn't only upgrade installed apps, it can - directly or through
an update of Google Play Services - install new system functionalities,
e.g. the functionality necessary for the covid notification app (at
least in Holland, don't know if that app was available/used in other
countries too). Apple did something similar via its app store, without
user intervention.

-p

Re: Google Play update all apps

<07n17i-61v.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24699&group=comp.mobile.android#24699

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 13:19:12 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:19 UTC

On 23/11/2021 16.52, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:08:25 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> This is what I get. I can only "stop" or "report", which is greyed out.
>> Nothing else in the screen responds to taps.
>>
>> https://susepaste.org/48327850
>>
>> Nothing similar two what you post. Unless you are using some special
>> took that you do not say.
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Thanks for posting that screenshot as there is often more detail in
> screenshots (which is why I often supply them myself, to be helpful).
> <https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>
>
> One important factor is the unique name of the "Play Store" app, which, for
> you, appears to be the same as it is for me (com.android.vending).
> <https://i.postimg.cc/02xKj04h/updateallapps03.jpg>
>
> Mine is stock for my phone (Samsung Galaxy A325G) currently at app version
> 27.9.15-21 (which I don't think matters as I keep mine at the stock version
> because I don't update anything unless I use it and know the update is
> useful). <https://i.postimg.cc/4djB69pr/updateallapps02.jpg>
>
> The fantastic FOSS app I used that tells me pages and pages and pages about
> any given app is App Manager (which is by far the best app manager extent).
> <https://github.com/MuntashirAkon/AppManager>
>
> My Google Play (it's called "Play Store" in the icon) isn't any different
> than any other stock Google Play Store App (afaik) so it should work the
> same for you (unless your tablet is vastly different than stock Android).
> <https://i.postimg.cc/HsXKj7WK/updateallapps01.jpg>

Of course it is different, it was a tablet designed to work on "1Mobile
Market" instead of the Google Play Store, not requiring registration.
But the server it used is dead, and it was crap anyway when it was
alive. And it runs Adroid 4.4.2

> About the only thing I do differently is you'll notice for privacy reasons
> I've denied that Google Play App any permission for location (why would it
> need my location?) but otherwise, ever since yesterday I have had it not
> disabled so I can test it for you.
>
> What happens for me when I click on the Google Play homescreen icon is that
> first screen comes up, which then allows me to press the update button
> (without having any login to Google whatsoever) as long as I'm on a network.

First screen that comes up in my Google play is enter existing account
or create new one.

https://susepaste.org/304194

As you can see, no alternative on that screen.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Google Play update all apps

<snlmsi$jnf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24701&group=comp.mobile.android#24701

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 08:48:32 -0700
 by: AJL - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:48 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> I'm not sure if GP only upgrades apps that were installed by GP, or
> if it will upgrade apps e.g. sideloaded, or installed from other
> stores?

I have Amazon Fire tablets that use the Fire OS which is a fork of an
older Android version. They come with the Amazon Appstore installed and
I have additionally sideloaded the Google Play Store. I had to turn off
the Play Store automatic updates because it was updating apps installed
from the Amazon store. I generally use the older version Android apps
from the Amazon store when available because they better match the older
Android version on the tablets. But unfortunately the Amazon store
doesn't have near the selection the Play Store has which is why I also
use it.

Probably more than you wanted to know but to answer your question: On my
stuff the Play Store can update apps whether sideloaded or installed from
another store...

Re: Google Play update all apps

<aml27i-p46.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24707&group=comp.mobile.android#24707

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:59:22 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:59 UTC

On 24/11/2021 13.19, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 23/11/2021 16.52, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:08:25 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> First screen that comes up in my Google play is enter existing account
> or create new one.
>
> https://susepaste.org/304194
>
> As you can see, no alternative on that screen.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and created a new google "burnable" account on
this thing.

The play store app now can not get the list of applications or new apps
to install - I left it trying for four hours. It produced no error, but
it simply does not work. And no updates whatsoever.

Also, in main setup, accounts, the google account shows in red, saying
that there is a problem syncing which will be solved soon. Yeah, sure.

There is a notification that says that login to the account failed,
wrong password or changed account (translating the message). That I can
try again. I try again, give the correct password, now says I have to
login on the web. Now it demands a phone number to send and SMS for
verification. Ok, I bite again.

I try twice, I type the code I get on the SMS, but Google refuses it,
says it is wrong. If I press the "verify" button, the 3 last digits are
deleted. If instead I press "go" on the virtual keyboard, it also fails.
I will have to try on the computer.

Not even on the computer.... The SMS has a code like "G-123456". The
computer stops accepting numbers on the 5. It appears I have to remove
the "G-", but it never said so. I got in, on the computer.

It also demands to know my birth date, because that is the law, it claims.

I try again on the tablet. I get one step further, browser asks to
accept a new permission (unreadable), I say ok, and then it claims that
authentication failed.

This old tablet is simply too old for anything.

Ah, but now sync is working!

I can now update "Google Play Services" (there is a notification to do
so first). After that, I try the play store, but it claims there are no
updates available, after checking.

I try to install a weather/clock app I know, it now says I have to
review my account. Wants a credit/debit card, but allows omitting. I
install the app. [...] The widget fails to find the location. If I type
the city it finds and accepts it, but the widget does not work. I'll try
another app. [...] "Gran reloj digital" from "Riccardo Camattari", just
the thing I wanted. No weather. Can't get everything :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Google Play update all apps

<snmpoo$1tgf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24710&group=comp.mobile.android#24710

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 01:43:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 01:43 UTC

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 10:55:10 +0100, Piet wrote:

>> I'm not sure if GP only upgrades apps that were installed by GP,
>> or if it will upgrade apps e.g. sideloaded, or installed from
>> other stores?
>
> It doesn't only upgrade installed apps, it can - directly or through
> an update of Google Play Services - install new system functionalities,
> e.g. the functionality necessary for the covid notification app (at
> least in Holland, don't know if that app was available/used in other
> countries too). Apple did something similar via its app store, without
> user intervention.

While it's likely correct that the Google Play App (com.android.vending)
likely updates via the Google Play Services (com.google.android.gms),
I don't think any of us (yet) can elucidate what exactly the Google Play
Services updates, even as we know it updates the 25 core framework modules.
*Everything you need to know about Android's Project Mainline*
<https://www.xda-developers.com/android-project-mainline-modules-explanation/>

For example, this free ad-free gsf-free google-free checker found hundreds
of apps on my phone which had a newer version in the Google Play repository.
*Update Software Checker - OS Version Info*, by Inspire Zone (rated 0.0)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inspirezone.updatesoftwarechecker>

The question nobody yet knows the answer to is why isn't Google Play finding
_all_ the apps which clearly have updates on the Google Play repository?

Re: Google Play update all apps

<snmpoq$1tgf$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24711&group=comp.mobile.android#24711

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 01:43:55 -0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 08:48:32 -0700, AJL wrote:

> Probably more than you wanted to know but to answer your question: On my
> stuff the Play Store can update apps whether sideloaded or installed from
> another store...

In my tests for Carlos, the Play Store only found 14 apps which (it thought)
needed to be updated, while this [free ad-free GSF-free google-free]
update program seems to have found hundreds
(which is more believable given I never update apps unless I need to).

*App Update Checker - Update Software*, by Pratham Tech (rated 5.0)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pratham.bkm.appupdatechecker>

The question to ponder is why Google Play finds far fewer apps to update
(when the third-party app update checkers seem to find hundreds more).

Re: Google Play update all apps

<snmpos$1tgf$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24712&group=comp.mobile.android#24712

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 01:43:57 -0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 13:19:12 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> What happens for me when I click on the Google Play homescreen icon is that
>> first screen comes up, which then allows me to press the update button
>> (without having any login to Google whatsoever) as long as I'm on a network.
>
> First screen that comes up in my Google play is enter existing account
> or create new one.
>
> https://susepaste.org/304194
>
> As you can see, no alternative on that screen.

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for letting me know that my Android 11 version of the "Play Store"
app (com.android.vending) works differently than does your (apparently
older) version of the "Play Store" app (also called com.android.vending).

Yours: <https://susepaste.org/304194>
Mine: <https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

> Of course it is different, it was a tablet designed to work on "1Mobile
> Market" instead of the Google Play Store, not requiring registration.

It has been my cursory experience that when a vendor changes the app, they
often also appear to change the unique name, e.g., to something like
com.android.vending.amazon or com.amazon.android.vending (or whatever).

Since yours is still called "com.android.vending" it may be, logically, that
it's the default app that came with your (older) version of Android.

> But the server it used is dead, and it was crap anyway when it was
> alive. And it runs Adroid 4.4.2

A picture is worth a thousand words, which clearly shows they're different.
Yours: <https://susepaste.org/304194>
Mine: <https://i.postimg.cc/02xKj04h/updateallapps03.jpg>

As you imply, it seems apparent that your com.android.vending package is too
old to have the selection choice that my com.android.vending has, in which
case, then you'd be completely correct that the option to "update apps"
might not exist inside your older version of the Google Play App (aka
com.android.vending).

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you, I really am (as I strive to help you
solve all the issues - just as I solve all of mine the say way on Usenet).

I hope someone with a similar setup as yours can help you, as the only other
option I could suggest is along the lines of what Andy Burns was leading...
which is to use an external tool (such as adb) to update all the apps.

Running that search for you turns up a few hits that may be of use to you.
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=android+adb+update+all+apps>

First hit:
*How To Update All Android Apps At Once*
<https://www.technobezz.com/update-all-android-apps-at-once/>
Unfortunately, that first hit just gives the same advice I had provided.
[Worse, that first hit doesn't explain the answer to the question in this
thread of _how_ the Google Play App determines the apps to be updated.]

Second hit:
*How To Disable Automatic App Updates On Android Devices*
<https://www.technobezz.com/disable-automatic-app-updates-android-devices/>
That's just the first hit, re-written using the opposite desire.

Third hit:
*How To Update All Apps On Your Android Devices*
<https://www.minitool.com/news/how-to-update-apps-android-device.html>
This appears to be a shill for "minitools"
<https://www.minitool.com/mobile-recovery/free-android-recovery.html>

Fourth hit:
*Update your Android apps*
<https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/113412?hl=en>
Interestingly, those instructions call for menu items that don't appear on
my Google Play (com.android.vending) app. I don't know if that's becasue
it's older than Android 11 or newer though. Someone else may have Android 12
who might be able to tell us if that's the case - but it wouldn't help you
on Android 4.x.

Fifth hit:
*Software Update - Update all Apps*
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qsoft.softwareupdate>
It has ads so I'm not going to even test it but it's rated 4.5
(surprisingly), and it says the following in the description.
"This Software Update App will keep checking the updated version for all
your installed apps and will notify the app having updates on play store."

There were so many "software update checkers" on Google Play it's not funny.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Software%20Update%20Checker&c=apps>

Running an Aurora search for free ad-free GSF-free google-free apps that
replace the "update all apps" functionality of Google Play comes up with
*App Update Checker - Update Software*, by Pratham Tech (rated 5.0)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pratham.bkm.appupdatechecker>

*Update Software Checker - OS Version Info*, by Inspire Zone (rated 0.0)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inspirezone.updatesoftwarechecker>

*Software Update Checker : App & Game Update 2021*, by Pnixo (rated 0.0)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pnixo.softwareupdater.appcheckert>

Putting my phone in airplane mode (just in case), I ran the Pratham Tech app
above which immediately asked for permission to make phone calls (WTF?) and
to access the file system and to "allow usage tracking" which I gave it just
to get it to work (it crashed otherwise).

What was interesting, as an aside, is this Pratham Tech app gives a nice
summary of when you installed and last modified any app on your system,
broken down into user-installed apps and system apps.

When I pressed the "Check Applications" button, that Pratham Tech app seems
to go, one by one, a couple apps per second, through ALL the hundreds of
apps I have installed (unlike what Google Play seems to do so it's slower
than Google Play was), but in the end, it didn't report _anything_ (perhaps
because I had the network off?) other than a single checkmark. Huh?

Living dangerously, I turned off Airplane Mode and the one-by-one app-by-app
check proceeded much slower (so it much be checking each app individually).

The result was a nice display that went on for many pages of each app that
needed to be updated, with the date, size, old version & new version listed.

Testing the Inspire Zone app next, it also gave a list of the install dates
and updated dates of all the hundreds of apps on my phone.

I hit the Inspire Zone "Start Scanning" button (with airplane mode on), and
it also went through, one by one, the hundreds of apps on my phone (although
it only found 320 apps out of more than double that number).

It too reported nothing until I enabled a connection to the net, and it too
proceeded much slower once connected to the Internet. It too listed hundreds
of apps which it thought needed an update, and it too had a manual "update
now" button for each app to update to the latest version found.

Testing the Pnixo app, it showed the current version for all apps, but it
didn't scan automatically like the other two above did. You had to press the
"View update" button for each app, and even then, it simply brought up the
app in Google Play (which, for me, failed as my Google Play is inoperable).

While the Pratham Tech & Inspire Zone software update checkers appear to
work, in neither app did I see an "update all" button like the one inside
the Google Play app (com.android.vending). The updates are manual in that
each app has its own update button in each of those software updater apps.

However, all three tested apps found hundreds of apps that had updates on
Google Play, whereas Google Play only found 14, so, clearly the subset that
Google Play is interrogating is vastly limited.

The question nobody yet knows the answer to is why isn't Google Play finding
_all_ the apps which clearly have updates on the Google Play repository?

Re: Google Play update all apps

<j089fnFc8ejU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24713&group=comp.mobile.android#24713

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 02:07:49 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 02:07 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> *Everything you need to know about Android's Project Mainline*
> <https://www.xda-developers.com/android-project-mainline-modules-explanation/>

Is that article authored by you with a different hat on?

Re: Google Play update all apps

<eq737i-hor.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24714&group=comp.mobile.android#24714

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 03:08:46 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 02:08 UTC

On 25/11/2021 02.43, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 13:19:12 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>>> What happens for me when I click on the Google Play homescreen icon is that
>>> first screen comes up, which then allows me to press the update button
>>> (without having any login to Google whatsoever) as long as I'm on a network.
>>
>> First screen that comes up in my Google play is enter existing account
>> or create new one.
>>
>> https://susepaste.org/304194
>>
>> As you can see, no alternative on that screen.
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Thanks for letting me know that my Android 11 version of the "Play Store"
> app (com.android.vending) works differently than does your (apparently
> older) version of the "Play Store" app (also called com.android.vending).
>
> Yours: <https://susepaste.org/304194>
> Mine: <https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>
>
>> Of course it is different, it was a tablet designed to work on "1Mobile
>> Market" instead of the Google Play Store, not requiring registration.
>
> It has been my cursory experience that when a vendor changes the app, they
> often also appear to change the unique name, e.g., to something like
> com.android.vending.amazon or com.amazon.android.vending (or whatever).
>
> Since yours is still called "com.android.vending" it may be, logically, that
> it's the default app that came with your (older) version of Android.

Indeed it is; as I said on another post I had reset that old tablet to
factory defaults (when I "decommissioned" that tablet).

>> But the server it used is dead, and it was crap anyway when it was
>> alive. And it runs Adroid 4.4.2
>
> A picture is worth a thousand words, which clearly shows they're different.
> Yours: <https://susepaste.org/304194>
> Mine: <https://i.postimg.cc/02xKj04h/updateallapps03.jpg>
>
> As you imply, it seems apparent that your com.android.vending package is too
> old to have the selection choice that my com.android.vending has, in which
> case, then you'd be completely correct that the option to "update apps"
> might not exist inside your older version of the Google Play App (aka
> com.android.vending).
>
> I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you, I really am (as I strive to help you
> solve all the issues - just as I solve all of mine the say way on Usenet).
>
> I hope someone with a similar setup as yours can help you, as the only other
> option I could suggest is along the lines of what Andy Burns was leading...
> which is to use an external tool (such as adb) to update all the apps.

No need, thanks.

As I said, after I registered the tablet on a dummy gmail account
created for the purpose, I managed to install a nice clock application
which was the goal. The tablet is now serving as an accurate kitchen
clock. Not picture perfect, far from it, but works nicely.

However, the tablet forgets the wifi credentials when it reboots, and
being old its battery is far from good. We thought that the WiFi
credentials would be saved on the google account, but apparently that's
not the case. Perhaps some update cured this problem previously, but the
play store claims there are no updates for this old tablet, so I'm stuck.

If you are curious, the tablet identifies itself as "LETAB719"

<https://www.abueloinformatico.es/verproductos.php?id=3929&nombre=leotec_tablet_7%94_l-pad_quark__(letab719)&tipo=Tablet%20DC%207%20pulgadas>

Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Google Play update all apps

<cu737i-hor.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24715&group=comp.mobile.android#24715

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 03:10:52 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 02:10 UTC

On 25/11/2021 02.43, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 10:55:10 +0100, Piet wrote:
>
>>> I'm not sure if GP only upgrades apps that were installed by GP,
>>> or if it will upgrade apps e.g. sideloaded, or installed from
>>> other stores?
>>
>> It doesn't only upgrade installed apps, it can - directly or through
>> an update of Google Play Services - install new system functionalities,
>> e.g. the functionality necessary for the covid notification app (at
>> least in Holland, don't know if that app was available/used in other
>> countries too). Apple did something similar via its app store, without
>> user intervention.
>
> While it's likely correct that the Google Play App (com.android.vending)
> likely updates via the Google Play Services (com.google.android.gms),
> I don't think any of us (yet) can elucidate what exactly the Google Play
> Services updates, even as we know it updates the 25 core framework modules.
> *Everything you need to know about Android's Project Mainline*
> <https://www.xda-developers.com/android-project-mainline-modules-explanation/>
>
> For example, this free ad-free gsf-free google-free checker found hundreds
> of apps on my phone which had a newer version in the Google Play repository.
> *Update Software Checker - OS Version Info*, by Inspire Zone (rated 0.0)
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inspirezone.updatesoftwarechecker>
>
> The question nobody yet knows the answer to is why isn't Google Play finding
> _all_ the apps which clearly have updates on the Google Play repository?

Maybe they are not fully correct updates for that hardware, but similar.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Google Play update all apps

<snmtg2$1118$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24716&group=comp.mobile.android#24716

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 02:47:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 02:47 UTC

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:59:22 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Anyway, I bit the bullet and created a new google "burnable" account on
> this thing.

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for letting us know what you're trying as I tried running the various
update apps which each found hundreds of apps on Google Play repo to update.
<https://i.postimg.cc/kgBB3mq0/updateallapps05.jpg>

> The play store app now can not get the list of applications or new apps
> to install - I left it trying for four hours. It produced no error, but
> it simply does not work. And no updates whatsoever.

One thing I found out is that the Play Store App (com.android.vending) only
seems to look for _google_ apps, as shown in this screenshot below.
<https://i.postimg.cc/pLwVw50j/updateallapps07.jpg>

So it still doesn't seem to be looking for _all_ your apps to be updated.
> Also, in main setup, accounts, the google account shows in red, saying
> that there is a problem syncing which will be solved soon. Yeah, sure.

Along that line, the one reason I have the Google GMail app disabled is
that, in my experience, it syncs things (like contacts) even when you tell
it not to (since it syncs _before_ you get a chance to tell it not to).
<https://i.postimg.cc/RZT1dP8Z/notifications01.jpg>

Another problem I've found, by experience, as I recall, is the instant you
use some Google apps, they _create_ the Google Account on your phone
automatically (without you asking them to). I think you refer that as
"registering" the account with the phone.

If you're going to keep your Google Account, you might want to consider
disabling the Google Play app (which is what I normally have it set to).

> There is a notification that says that login to the account failed,
> wrong password or changed account (translating the message). That I can
> try again. I try again, give the correct password, now says I have to
> login on the web. Now it demands a phone number to send and SMS for
> verification. Ok, I bite again.

Sometimes, not often, but sometimes, you can give apps a bogus second line
phone number (e.g., talkatone or 2nd line, or whatever) for that
verification. Google is likely too smart for that trick though...
> I try twice, I type the code I get on the SMS, but Google refuses it,
> says it is wrong. If I press the "verify" button, the 3 last digits are
> deleted. If instead I press "go" on the virtual keyboard, it also fails.
> I will have to try on the computer.
>
> Not even on the computer.... The SMS has a code like "G-123456". The
> computer stops accepting numbers on the 5. It appears I have to remove
> the "G-", but it never said so. I got in, on the computer.
>
> It also demands to know my birth date, because that is the law, it claims.
>
> I try again on the tablet. I get one step further, browser asks to
> accept a new permission (unreadable), I say ok, and then it claims that
> authentication failed.
>
> This old tablet is simply too old for anything.

I've seen similar, now that you mention it, with the "G-" stuff.
The message they are asking is ambiguous as I recall.
They're actually asking you to confirm your email or something like that.
As I recall, it's not what any normal person would _think_ it's asking.
But I don't recall the details - but I do agree it's confusing as all hell.

Google should do better in their instructions, as I was fooled too.
> Ah, but now sync is working!
>
> I can now update "Google Play Services" (there is a notification to do
> so first). After that, I try the play store, but it claims there are no
> updates available, after checking.

You can test that by down-versioning a system app such as "google play
services" or any of the "google" apps that are similar to the ones which
show up in this shot when I ran the Google Play update action yesterday.
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

In most cases, Android won't let you _delete_ the google app, but Android
will normally let you down-version it to the original version that came with
the device.

Then, after doing that, when you run the update check, Google Play's
"Update" button (I would think) "should" find that this one google app has
the original version, I would think (logically anyway).

> I try to install a weather/clock app I know, it now says I have to
> review my account. Wants a credit/debit card, but allows omitting. I
> install the app. [...] The widget fails to find the location. If I type
> the city it finds and accepts it, but the widget does not work. I'll try
> another app. [...] "Gran reloj digital" from "Riccardo Camattari", just
> the thing I wanted. No weather. Can't get everything :-)

You can install apps that are on the Google Play repository using the Google
Play app (as you know) as long as you have a Google Account "registered"
with the Google Play app (and hence, with the phone, AFAIK).

However, if you want, you can install any app you like off that same Google
Play repository using the Aurora Store, which works better than Google Play
does in that the filters are fantastic (Google Play filters stink).
<https://gitlab.com/AuroraOSS>

While you and I are outliers, I would think most people don't realize what I
found out, which is that Google Play's Update button doesn't seem to be
updating just any app - but only "Google" apps (as far as I can ascertain).

A test is shown with this app which updates hundreds of apps on Google Play
but it actually uses Google Play to run that update (which means the _check_
isn't via Google Play, but that the _download_ is, apparently, via Google
Play. <https://i.postimg.cc/fy8TpHFW/updateallapps06.jpg>

computers / comp.mobile.android / Google Play update all apps